Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 263
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Pool: 4


    The Team, The Baddies: The Archives


    Tiger Shark is pushed back further by Ground Zero's assault, her suit breaking under his blows. "I thought you said you had this!" she snarls at the Huntsman who seems to be having his own problems as Ronin charges their line. A few solid bolts slug into Ronin's armor only for her blade to slice the large crossbow to pieces. The Huntsman exchanges a glance with his erstwhile ally, offering a shrug. "Well just do something!" she snaps, finally finding ground between herself and Ground Zero.

    "You asked for it." The Huntsman reaches once more into his suit, tossing another strange fetish between himself and Tiger Shark before moving to expose his arms and hands to Ronin. "I yield."

    The small series of skulls rattles onto the ground before unleashing a torrent of water, more than enough to flood the immediate vicinity. The resulting wave pushes the four of you apart before swirling up and around Tiger Shark who rises tall enough to brush her head against the ceiling, that is before her head too is covered in the frothing water. Sparks run throughout the entire giant form as it sweeps aside the Huntsman off down further into the Archives.

    The panels shoot back to Moonshadow and Sunburst and the pack of shadow elemental. Or what were the shadow elementals, each pooling away into Sunburst's own shadow. The pull of the Dark is strong, a thousand whispers of terrible deeds floating into your mind Sunburst. Images of you blasting your sister and team surge, an animal fury seeking to take hold of you.



    This is all what you walk into Tsunami as your flight to the team finds you in the thick of it. A giant electic water giant, a struggling Sunburst and a pack of angry shadow beasts. What do all of you do?

    Spoiler: Sunburst
    Show
    Roll + Freak. On a miss, you're possessed by the shadow beasts and lose control of your powers in a horrible way. On a hit, you're out of the fight as you struggle to keep yourself from losing control. The shadow monsters provoke ne of your teammates, roll to Provoke. On a 10+ you banish the creatures from your shadow. You only have to deal with them directly now, clear a Condition.

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless, Angry, Insecure
    Potential: 4/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    1

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.


    The panels shift to an overhead view of Sunburst standing panicked and watching the floor immediately around her. Her shadow appears eerily elongated, fracturing out into tendrils as the shadow beasts latch themselves to her. The camera draws tighter as the shadows begin to claw their way up her legs and body, then tighter still as they begin to shade out her face. Whispers of violent suggestions float through her mind, shadowy images of what she could do if she just embraced who she was meant to be. For the briefest of moments, even her shining eyes show hints of the darkness.

    "No..."

    Her form erupts in light, the ensnaring shadows vaporising off of her as she forces the beasts back out and away from her. "NO!"

    She stands exhausted, but triumphant. Slightly hunched, breathing heavily, and looking a mess, but defiantly herself. "I... I won't."

    She raises her fists, watching the beasts warily as she tried to hold her footing. "I-I'm not gonna let you hurt anyone."

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Sunburst got a full hit when attempting to throw the control of the Shadow Beasts off of her, so she'll be clearing afraid and won't be blasting her friends!



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Silk
    Conditions:
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: +3
    • Savior: -1
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Devil or Angel on My Shoulder: When you provoke a teammate to violent action or drastic measures as your Hero Persona, roll with your Alias Label. When you discourage a teammate from going overboard or making an action they can’t take back as your Alias Persona, roll + your Hero Label.
    • [X]Save the Light: When you step in to intervene, help a civilian, or stop a threat roll + your Hero label. On a miss, you’re made to look the fool. Mark a Condition and give ground. On a hit, you’ve got someone’s attention. Use it as an opportunity or provoke them to action. On a 10+ your foe must respond in kind or flee.


    The panels pan out along Sunburst's growing shadow and recede, pulling back out along a different, smaller shadow, eventually showing Silk, again from behind. Some chatter bursts in her ear and she sighs. "Roger that."

    Heroes in the building. I really have to quit letting this happen.

    A panel closes in on the back of her head as her hands come back up, pushing her hair into place and tying the mask around her face again and one more panel pans around to Silk's face from the front, masked again, now looking down at the mysterious and entirely un-key-like contents of the box. Gently, she reaches out, lightly touching the mask, trailing her fingers through the fringe of the dress.

    What are you?

    As her hand reaches for the heart, still beating in its heart-shaped-box, her hand stops as if encountering resistance and she shudders involuntarily and the panel pulls back and up. As Silk grabs the heart, her shadow, previously a small thin pool underneath her under the bright overhead lights in the room, extends violently back, stretching unnaturally long and far. Seemingly unaware of her shadow's reaction, Silk carefully places the mask and the heart on the dress, folding it up into a neat parcel. All the while, her shadow keeps retreating back and back, all the way to the elevator, a distorted Silk-shaped spot of black on the closed metal doors.

    When she picks up the parcel, she coughs and reaches a finger up tug on the scarf to loosen it. Stepping back from the pedestal, it begins hissing and whirring again as it closes, a black box once more. The card pops out of the slot, and Silk carefully replaces the key in the pocket of the downed guard. The panel shows her kneeling from the side with the elevator in the background, and her shadow has gotten smaller, concentrated along the join between the closed sliding doors as if oozing through the crack, escaping at any cost. Silk, still kneeling, glances at the guard's nametag. "Sorry about this, Williams." Standing, Silk slinks back to the elevator and hits the button, gliding in as soon as it opens.

    The panels show the same scene as Silk's arrival, but in reverse. Panning around at the box and the downed guards and back to the elevator. Silk stands in the center, her shadow stretching up the wall behind her, and the panels pan back close in as the elevator doors shut.

    A big DING! announces the elevator's arrival. The doors open again, and as the panels pull out, the room is much darker, with water pooling on the floor. The elevator doors open again, and water floods into the elevator. As it does, shadow seeps out, spreading out along the water's surface like an inky stain. The panels are low to the ground again, and Silk takes three foreboding steps into the flooded Archives. The last panel stretches along the bottom of both pages, showing a wide angle of the archives with each of Silk's legs straddling a page.

    Turning the page, the panel forms a single two-page splash showing the same scene in full-body. In the background, the electrified water elemental charges toward the center of the spread from one side with Ground Zero flying full-bore to meet it from the other. Sunburst glowing like a nova at one end, Ronin behind Ground Zero at the other. At the far end, Tsunami entering from the outside. And in the foreground stands Silk, her long, distorted shadow spilling out into the room in front of her.

    "Hello, heroes."

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions: Angry
    Potential: 2/5
    Gadget: 1

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.


    Ronin's anger at the Huntsman's disregard for the value of the Archives swells as he unleashes his monstrosity of a water-electrical elemental. Washed away from him by the force of the water's flow, she grinds her teeth as she struggles to keep to her insensate feet; that's considered a 'yield' in his books, is it?

    ”That son-of-a--,” she begins, but is interrupted by the elevator arriving and disgorging what is clearly yet another villain, if one she isn't yet familiar with.

    ”Hello, villain,” she replies in a faintly exasperated tone. ”Take a number, we'll get to your beating in a moment,” Whirling back to face the sparking, frothing mass that had been Tiger Shark, she figures she may as well give it a shot.

    Chisei, Ionic Stunner!” A pair of panels follow, the first focused on her left arm as it is raised to point at Tiger Shark. The second is much the same, barring the crackling network of electricity sheathing it.

    The electricity arcs out to swarm over the huge elemental form; hopefully it will prove vulnerable enough to her efforts to give Zero the opening he needs!





    Spoiler: CRUNCH
    Show
    Directly Engage Tiger Shark/Elemental with Ionic Stunner: 2d6 = 10 For exchange of blows, will resist/avoid her blows, and create an opportunity for my allies.

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ground Zero
    Conditions: Angry
    Potential: 0/5


    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    Freak: +0
    Danger: +3
    Savior: -1
    Superior: +1
    Mundane:+0


    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    In a China Shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
    Physics? What physics: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.
    -Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.


    It's the sound of Sunburst shouting out as she pushed the shadows back that had Ground Zero loosening his grip on Tiger-Shark's wrists right before the torrents of water burst forth and pushed them apart. As chaos reigns around him he's torn between concern that demands he rush over to help Sunburst, and taking on the danger rising up in front of him, that could quickly threaten everyone and everything in the room.

    He breathes a sigh of relief as Tsunami emerges onto the battlefield. GZ can't say he knows the guy too well, but what he does know is that the guy is reliable, and cares about the team. With Tsunami and Moonshadow watching her back Sunburst would be fine. And Ronin... well she was Ronin. If there was anyone he counted on to take care of things almost as well as he could, it was her.

    His thoughts are confirmed as Ronin dismissively greats the newly arrived villain, before stunning TS even through her elemental form, creating a golden opportunity for him to strike. With a final look at Sunburst, standing triumphant but tired, he turns to Tsunami and calls out "I'm stepping out for a minute. Keep 'em safe."

    GZ then rockets towards TS with a plan so barely thought out, it felt like something Lion would come up with. He makes contact with the water, and just like at the River Market, he wrestles control from the stunned Tiger-Shark. The panel goes to a wide-shot to show the mass of water, with Tiger Shark still inside, being pushed towards one of the walls that stand between the archive and empty air. The water picks up speed as it moves closer to the wall, and it also changes shape, narrowing and spinning into the shape of a drill.

    With an almighty CRASH the mass of water, and the two supers with it, are flung out into the night sky, with the ground a long, long, looooooooooooooooong way down.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled +Danger to Directly Engage Tiger Shark. Rolled 9, 1 team spent by Ronin to make it a 10. Causing significant collateral to trigger the In a China Shop move, so I can choose three options. Going with 'create an opportunity for your allies' by removing elemental Tiger Shark from the fight allowing them to focus on Silk and Huntsman, 'resist or avoid their blows' because Ground Zero is strongest there is, and 'impress, surprise, or frighten the opposition' this may not necessarily be TS, as I imagine it would be pretty surprising for Huntsman and Silk to see there teammate getting tackled through a wall.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    No thanks
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    The Lion
    Conditions: 2, Hopeless (-2 on unleash), Guilty (-2 on provoke or assess), Angry (-2 on Comfort)
    Potential: 0/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: 0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: -1
    • Mundane: +2
    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X]Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
    • [X]Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.

    Mosi’s eyes go wide, drowned out in LIGHT as he’s plunged up into the the air by Polaris’s blast of violet violence.

    He shuts them quick, afraid he’ll be blinded. When he opens them he’s still in the air and more than a little shocked to look down to his navel and see that his CLAWED HAND has caught the blast in it’s palm; cradling the impact until it dissipates away into the raw crackle of violet energy, surrounded by swirling and black. All that’s left is a mass of residual force that slams Mosi into the ceiling; He gasps as all the air exits his lungs, leaving only burning and pain.

    Oh my go— I mean, Sekhmet, that could have actually killed me. He’s seriously trying to kill me. I-I need to get serious too, but... what in Duat is happening to me? Never mind that, just focus, Mosi. Focus!

    In one motion the Lion spins off the top of the ceiling, picking up momentum, and with a mighty thrust he lobs the the spear down. Then he kicks off against the ceiling with the traction in his boot, pushing himself down even faster, as the remaining glass buckles and shatters behind him in a shockwave.

    Mosi appears crouched below Polaris before he can react, his empty claws lazily dropped to his side. Below his mask, the Mosi bares his teeth in a focused grimace. ess than a half second passes before the Lion begins to rotate. He's lightning-fast, like a top out of control; a flurry of non-stop claw strikes and roundhouse kicks to Polaris with both of his hands covered in slowly flowing inky darkness, neither claw now held back by his spear.

    We cut to a half page panel behind Polaris’s back, showing the Spear of Sekhmet as it throttles its way down through the air and straight towards Polari’s shadow — The Lion true attack. Mosi looks up to the villain, smiling cheekily before giving Polaris a thumbs up; but Mosi's brows are furrowed, his breath is heavy. Rage fills his eyes.

    “Well!? You still think you can’t be hurt? Because I— Wait… I’m sorry, did you say ‘Ninja?’” The Lion loses his focus, caught off guard as that particular piece of information processes through his head -- somehow even faster than the idea that the Warlords have put out a hit on him. Because, sure, San Fran had its share of ninjas (and then some), but there was one in particular that stalked the back of Mosi’s mind — and he couldn’t help but wonder if it was, in fact... Her.

    Spoiler: Cruch
    Show
    Failed a Directly Engage! 4 on the discord. Egads!
    Last edited by Hans Free; 2019-09-20 at 04:15 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Pool: 4


    The Lion, Polaris: Greenhouse Balcony

    Polaris dances between the flurry of blows, not merely fancy language but quite literally dances, grabbing your hands and twisting and spinning as if you were at a ball. "Yeah, he kicked me down here...I was going to soar up and blast him to bits but then I ran into you. I'm a pretty nice guy so I'm just going to assume that's why he did it. Probably was trying to kill us both together, but I can respect a man's game like that."

    With a deft motion, as The Lion's spear zooms through the air, Polaris launches himself into the air with a flurry of kicks. The spear soars back towards Mosi. "You put up a good fight too, I respect that. I've got the rest of your team to do in though so I'm going to wrap this up." As Polaris continues to kick at the air, staying aloft, his whole form glows with brilliant violet energy. The panels are short, Polaris engulfed in one moment and then a massive beam of light gouges into the ground with ZZZT sfx all around. It lances up in the next panel, striking The Lion before soaring into the air. The next panel shows the entire greenhouse exploding in similer purple light.

    The final panel shows Polaris soaring up out of the ruins before cutting back to the team.

    Spoiler: The Lion
    Show
    Roll to take a powerful Blow and mark a Condition.

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Specialist's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    The Surface of the Sun

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Tsunami
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +3
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.


    "The Archives, hurry. I must help the rest of the staff. Do not let them escape. There is no telling what they've come for. Swiftly."

    It had taken little more to send Tsunami bolting for the appointed destination. He trusts his team, but that doesn’t stop him from worrying. He doesn’t know exactly who Tumult’s people are, and despite his trust in his comrades neither he nor his team are infallible. His mind jumps to worst possible outcomes, and contingency plans.

    Two panels show his arrival, the first is just his bottom half trailing steam from his heels, the second his full body, slightly bent in a wide stance as he lands. A cloud of vapor rises away from him as he straightens, Max taking only a short moment to try and assess the situation: chaotic. But thankfully, everyone seems to still be on their feet! Mosi remains unaccounted for, which given the context of assassins out for Yami no Yojimbo’s number, does leave him very unsettled. He’d honestly hoped to find the Lion here as well, somehow, but now that Tsunami has arrived, he can’t just leave either to search.

    The towering water giant does rather quickly take his attention, and while he can’t quite identify its full nature, his mind rapidly works on how he might try to disperse it with his affinity for the element. Kai’s voice draws his gaze however.

    "I'm stepping out for a minute. Keep 'em safe."

    Max barely manages to nod in confirmation. In rapid succession, Ronin and GZ have taken the matter in hand, ultimately revealing that Tiger Shark had been... piloting? ...the water giant. There is no time to unpack that, as Kai and the villain go barreling out of the building. Unexpected, but... Max will take it, for now! Damaging the facility so blatantly doesn’t make him feel great but there is no time to argue. As much as he’d like to keep the team together too... well, GZ always seems to manage one-on-one pretty well.

    Max also spots Cindy and an exhausted looking Lanuola further down and surrounded by strange shadowy apparitions, and concludes this is probably who GZ was referring to. But then... there was Silk. Following the panel showing her in the foreground and Tsunami in the distance, it flips, focusing on Tsunami as he lifts the kanabō slightly in anticipation. A close up of his face shows his eyes narrowed slightly in a focused stare, his gaze revealing a form of recognition, distrust, and anger.

    For a split second, he is divided. There is a brief knee-jerk reflex to want to immediately engage Silk before she might get to any of the others, but his core instinct is to jump in to help the sisters with the strange elementals first, to offer immediate assistance and make sure they aren’t overwhelmed. Ronin remains on the outside of that mess, he could rely on her to hassle Silk while they took out the shades, or vice versa... But Max realizes swiftly that he doesn’t like the idea of any of them tackling one of the Warlord’s ninjas alone. Already, GZ and presumably Lion are on their own. He doesn’t like the idea of them being divided up any more than they already are, and with a concentrated effort, perhaps they can disperse the shadow elementals rapidly enough that they can deal with Silk as a team again. And then the rest.

    Another jet of steam sends Tsunami soaring over the shadowy fiends, landing heavily next to Sunburst with kanabō raised and ready. His head turns slightly towards the sisters as he speaks, having found their usual line of communication not working. He only speaks loud enough for their ears.

    “The Warlords know we’re here and they’ve paid these a**holes to put us in the ground.” The panels clip to Silk again though at an uneasy angle, the waterline cutting diagonally across the panel. The panels return to Sunburst, Moonshadow, and Tsunami then. “No more splitting up, don’t have a total number for their team. Keep a buddy if you have to split.” He feels a pang of guilt twist in his chest, not knowing where his own initial ‘buddy’ has got off to. If the universe is at all kind, and it does have a sense of humour at least he knows, then GZ would crash into Lion outside somewhere. And they could be arguably the worst buddies.

    “Ronin! Let's regroup!" He glances towards Ronin briefly, hoping that she’ll close the gap a bit and not take a page from GZ’s book doing anything rash, but he trusts her to make smart decisions no matter the case. Enough time has been spent talking.

    The next few panels move in rapid succession, the first depicting Max lifting the massive mace, and the next blurring slightly as he takes a sudden step forward. Beneath that, the next panel stretches across the page as it allows the weapon’s arc to sweeps across its entirety. The last three panels of the page follow in one line. The shadowy wolves move faster than Max anticipated, easily avoiding the arguably wide reach of the weapon. The next reverses in angle, showing Max from the font, his eyes betraying a hint of alarm. The final panel reveals that he’s now exposed on nearly all sides after lunging forward and meeting no resistance, only his back directly to Lanuola, and the shades eager to press in again.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled a 5 to Directly Engage the shadow beasties... uh oh! Marking Guilty as a Condition. Max wasn't there for the start of the fight, with his team in danger, and now that he's shown up he's immediately made a goof of himself and made himself a liability instead of a help. Also... he lost Mosi.
    Last edited by The_Specialist; 2019-09-21 at 06:26 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Pool: 3


    The Team, The Villains: Just A Real Big Mess


    Everything moves so fast. Ronin uses her electrical gadget to stun Tiger Shark where she stands only for Ground Zero to rush in .Ground Zero and Tiger Shark break through the walls and the panels of the comic into the rain and sky beyond. A small note at the bottom reads "Wukong Industries will remember that" with a small blond man in a blue jump suit and a frowny face. Down and down they hurtle before crashing on the street below with a crash before the panels once more join them on the streets. Passerbys are already making way for the two of you, each plip of rain only causing the surging elemental to grow. "They betrayed us." Tiger Shark croaks, slithering out from beneath you to stand tall. Whiplike appendages form from her elemental body before expanding, forming dangerous sickles. "And you're just taking their side. You saw them kill Coyote and you're just...just getting in our way!!"

    The villainess inside the elemental suit rages, electrical currents running the circuit of her newfound form. Half drowning, half screaming. The creature's many scythes splay out, soaring to dice the onlookers to pieces as civilians shriek. What do you do Ground Zero?

    The panels return to the rushing Tsunami, eager to get involved in the fight. Placing himself between Sunburst and the pack of shadow wolves, a misstep however. More slowly flee fom Sunburst's shadows as she glows brightly, until the pack descends on Tsunami instead. They savage at his armor, tossing him between them with snarls and barks. Sunburst forgotten, perhaps in error.


    The final panels show The Huntsman who has walked near the hole in the wall before glancing back to Silk. "You're on your own. I'm not dealing with these monsters." He then joins Ground Zero and Tiger Shark as he launches himself out into the rain.

    The show with Sunburst, Tsunami and Ronin is all yours Silk.

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless, Angry
    Potential: 4/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    0

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.


    Sunburst finds she has no time to properly catch her bearings, everything was happening too quickly. She manages to register the arrival of Tsunami and someone she doesn't quite manage to recognise just in time for Ground Zero to violently defenestrate Tigershark whilst plunging after her. And then Ronin was busy fighting, but she didn't have time to turn her attention there as the shadow beasts renew their assault. This time, they were all lunging for Tsunami.

    Reacting on instinct, Sunburst lets out a wordless yell, an overhead panel showing her toward the bottom, Tsunami near the top being savaged by the creatures. Swiping an arm to one side, a shimmering field of light flashes into existence in an arc, forcing the melee to separate out again. Where the shadow beast's claws press on it there are whorls and eddies in the barrier. Already it looks to be dissolving away in places, but Lanuola's expression is still one of angry triumph, even as her eyes lose their bright glow, "I SAID NO!"

    With the little breathing space she'd created, Sunburst dared to glance at the rest of the room. The Huntsman was gone, leaving his shadow creatures behind. Which meant it was just them, and...

    Lanuola's eyes widen, and she feels her chest constrict, as she realises who the newcomer is. Silk. But... But they outnumbered her. They should be fine, right..? She gave Ronin a desperate look, "What should I do?!"

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Per discord, rolled a 12 to defend Tsunami using the 'Shielding' burn power, using the last of Sunburst's burn, clearing Insecure, and taking Influence over Tsunami.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2019-09-25 at 08:46 AM.



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions: Angry
    Potential: 2/5
    Gadget: 1

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.


    Ronin winces as Zero blows through the wall of the Archive and out into the open air. So much for good will and the opportunity to spin their own PR, she imagines. She had a moment’s flash of relief that Tsumani arrived on the scene; short lived, as he immediately throws himself into a tactically unsound position without giving anyone clear direction how to proceed next.

    All right, then.

    A panel displays her AI’s words as she turns back to face the newcomer, now that the Huntsman has left the building as well.

    MIHO, FROM THE REPORTS COMPILED BY THE OTHERS, THIS WOULD BE SILK, Chisei informs her, a red targeting reticle bracketing the slender woman down by the elevator.

    Miho’s eyes narrow as she considers this information. ”Good to know, good to know,” she replies quietly before raising her voice to address their final opponent.

    ”So good to finally meet the infamous Silk,” she calls down the length of the archive, having not been so fortunate as some of the others to have previously encountered the ninja. ”Why don’t you two mop up those shadows,” she suggests to Sunny and Tsunami, not taking he eyes off Silk. ”Her sneakiness and I are going to have a pointed discussion about playing nice with others...unless she’s afraid,” she tosses off scornfully, momentarily pointing the Sword of Doom for emphasis.

    ”Now, witness the firepower of this armed and fully operational battle suit,” she misquotes with gleeful grimness, the kinetic lance mounted on her shoulder tracking the ninja’s slight form as she prepares to draw the fight away from her less-optimally positioned teammates.
    Last edited by Captain Jak; 2019-09-25 at 06:06 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Silk
    Conditions:
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: +3
    • Savior: -1
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Devil or Angel on My Shoulder: When you provoke a teammate to violent action or drastic measures as your Hero Persona, roll with your Alias Label. When you discourage a teammate from going overboard or making an action they can’t take back as your Alias Persona, roll + your Hero Label.
    • [X]Save the Light: When you step in to intervene, help a civilian, or stop a threat roll + your Hero label. On a miss, you’re made to look the fool. Mark a Condition and give ground. On a hit, you’ve got someone’s attention. Use it as an opportunity or provoke them to action. On a 10+ your foe must respond in kind or flee.


    "Is my number up already? Cute." With the kinetic lance trained on her, Silk wastes no time. Quick as a flash, she fishes a small dark ball from her pocket and throws it at Ronin. As soon as it impacts against the suit, a thick cloud of dark smoke billows up, filling the immediate area and obscuring Silk from the computerized targeting system. The panel shifts to Miho's point of view in the suit, nothing but smoke on the monitors. Silk-colored speech bubbles come from different directions as the ninja moves around outside the bounds of the smoke. "Hard to hit what you can't see." "You can probably build some tech that could beat this next time. Too bad you need it right now." Though she can't be seen, Silk makes more than enough noise to be tracked by sound as she moves around the room, and Ronin follows, turning slowly as the smoke begins to dissipate. "Your family would have loved it if you'd come out as big and strong as that suit of yours, huh? But we both know it's what's inside that counts." The kinetic lance's tracking starts picking up Silk's motion through the thinning smoke, but can't quite get a lock. Just a little more... "What's really inside that suit? What do you have left when your fancy tech fails you? Disappointment." Though the smoke still obscures the main camera, the kinetic lance finally locks on. "Come on, stop trying to hit me and hit me!"

    The kinetic lances fires off with a big WUMPF and bright light fills the panel. The last panel stretches across the bottom of the page, showing Silk dropping down into a crouch on the flooded floor as the lance shoots over her. The action continues on the next page, and the panel shows a pulled-out angle of the room. Ronin stands at one end, the kinetic lance traveling across the panel and over Silk - right for a preoccupied Tsunami, now positioned directly in the beam's path!

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ground Zero
    Conditions: none
    Potential: 0/5


    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    Freak: +0
    Danger: +3
    Savior: -1
    Superior: +1
    Mundane:+0


    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    In a China Shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
    Physics? What physics: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.
    -Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.


    Ground Zero staggers away from the point of impact. He wasn't hurt thanks to his powers, but the rapid descent had been dizzying to say the least. He's honestly pretty amazed when Tiger Shark pulls herself to her feet, even if it was pretty clear how heavily she was relying on the hydro armor at this point.

    GZ clenches his fist and gives a dangerous grin, preparing for another clash as TS forms a series of vicious looking scythes. He hears her ranting, going on about how 'they' betrayed her, and killed Coyote, and he's pretty sure that means that Light-Bringer hired a bunch of criminals. He files that bit of information away as something to bring up with the team later. In the mean time, he had a fight to end.

    His thoughts of a brilliant victory grind to a halt as the water scythes go flying out, but not at him. Instead they are headed for the civilians that are desperately trying to flee the scene. The battle frenzy that had been building in GZ's head clears as he remembers a day, years ago, when a day at the mall with his parents turned into a life altering event, as two supers brought their violent confrontation into the crowded building. He sees the same fear he saw in his parents' eyes reflected in those now fleeing the scythes. He couldn't do anything back then, but this time was different. This time he could save them!

    "STOOOOOOOOOP!" He roars as he slams a hand down on the ground, and send his power resonating out through the ground. Just before the water scythes are about to reach their targets, stone pillars rise up out of the ground like the fingers of some earthen giant, and the scythes break against them. Once fully formed, the pillars fence the raging TS in from all directions except towards GZ, as he stays crouched with a hand on the ground, his concentration the only thing keeping the pillars up.

    "You're fight is with me! Leave them the hell out of it!" GZ shouts at TS.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled +Saviour to defend the civilians. Rolled a 7. Clearing a condition and exposing myself to danger.

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Specialist's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    The Surface of the Sun

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Tsunami
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 2/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +3
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.


    F*ck.

    He could berate himself for being an idiot later, but right now the shadowy apparitions are doing a fine enough job of punishing him for it. While he tries to keep a grip on the kanabō, the ferocity with which the wolves tug and toss him around makes it impossible to get any momentum to swing the oversized weapon, or even use his own limbs as effective weapons immediately. Above their growls and his own, Max can hear materials tearing, stretching, scoring as the beasts teeth cut and dig into his armour. Shooting bursts of pain alert him as a number of them find weak spots before a bright sheet of light flashes in front of his face and he abruptly finds himself making a splash as he drops back onto the flooded floor.

    "I SAID NO!"

    The shout takes Tsunami by surprise, as he's never heard that level of commanding tone come out of Sunburst before. He realizes instantly that she's entirely saved his hide, feeling impressed, grateful, and guilty at once. Here he and GZ had been thinking Sunburst needed the save, but Tsu had just gone and made things worse, forcing her to expend more of her precious energy while compromising himself. At least she is functioning well under pressure! He needs to give her much more credit, and he feels further ashamed for assuming. The snarling and snapping of the wolves just out of reach behind the rapidly fizzling barrier has him scrambling back to his feet however. Again, the self-flagellation can come later. He'll have to examine his biases and other faults then. For now, he's simply grateful for Sunburst's quick and effective action.

    Though dripping and disheveled and just a little bloodied, he offers a quick thumbs up to Sunburst, both in approval and to assure that he's alright.

    "Hey… thanks!"

    …Is all Tsunami manages before a crackling beam catches him straight in the chest; he becomes aware of the impending disaster a split second before it strikes, but still a moment far too late to react.

    While not lethal, the force behind the kinetic lance is still enough to send the teen flying and then tumbling a few feet further once he reunites with the ground. A wall stops him before he manages to fight the momentum enough to do so himself, the good news being that there's not enough left to damage the wall or surrounding, the bad news being that there is still enough that it probably hurts Max. Not as much as the lance itself, of course. He can probably give Ronin a good account for the report of its field test, regardless. Even though he missed almost the entirety of Ronin and Silk's interaction thus far, there isn't even a single moment where he suspects it was intentional for the former to hit him. Not that he has much of a moment to spare for anything really. He feels he knows her better than to ever fear such a thing. He can't even spare to direct any anger at Ronin for the accident, for that's what he's assuming it is; Max is very much happy to keep all that anger collecting and stewing, to be used against Silk later.

    The sound Tsunami’s body makes hitting the wall isn’t entirely pleasant, though the heavy metallic thud of the kanabō clattering next to him definitely overshadows it. It takes him a little longer to stand up this time, his appearance in even more disarray between the unexpected sequence of assaults. His wet hair falls about his face in a wild, bedraggled mess now, having fully escaped out of the topknot after the unanticipated gymnastics. The front of his jacket is somewhat ragged, the right shoulder seam completely torn and exposing bare shoulder. Additional tears along the sleeve are bloodied now from the wolves. His shirt is visibly tattered in the front and barely hanging onto shirt status, shredded enough to reveal the armor plating hidden beneath that thankfully took some of the blow of the lance. The mechanisms keeping his left shoulder guard in place also seem to have been compromised as the armour hangs slightly askew on his arm, but still attached, for now.

    He’s not ready to give up yet though, especially with the team still in danger. Not that Tsunami is ever willing to give up, often to his detriment. He doesn’t reach for the kanabō immediately however, as per usual. He has to go bigger this time, as it’s clear just trying to play ball with the shadowy creatures isn’t the best tactic. Instead, his eyes begin to take on a blue glow as he reaches outside of himself, feeling the water that surrounds him and them. Lifting his hands, he does his best to pull on that connection, trying to draw the water up and away from the far side of the room, to form a wave that can wash the beasts out the exit GZ has conveniently provided. But his concentration is rocky, to say the least, frustration alone not enough to crystalize the effort, perhaps. Just having the will isn’t always enough.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled a 5 to Unleash! Uh oh...
    Last edited by The_Specialist; 2019-09-30 at 10:34 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    No thanks
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    The Lion
    Conditions: 5 (That Escalated Quickly); -2 to EVERYTHING
    Potential: 2/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: 0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: -1
    • Mundane: +2
    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X]Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
    • [X]Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.

    Up above in what little remains of the GARDEN TERRACE, not more than a few meters of platform, a sphere swirls like the microcosm of a sand storm in a pitch black night. It drips open to reveal the Lion rising from the ground--

    "P-POLARIS...!!"

    The structure rescinds into his chest and arm markings first before crawling its way up to and under his MASK like a spider; illusory fangs and just below them, glowing eyes. The Lion's grip tightens around the haft of his spear as he tries to steel himself -- but its hard to focus as his ears RING. He looks up above at Polaris flying away, either unaware of Mosi's continued survival or uncaring.

    That made Mosi's chest tighten. Was he so insignificant? Who was Polaris to judge him? He was... Every bit the hero his parents were... Or, at least, that his teammates were....

    No, not even close. And if Polaris found them... Well, it wasn't but two hours ago that he was squabbling with them, acting like a bratty child, and now here he was; alone and thoroughly beaten down by someone so strong he might be able to fight the whole team by himself. But with Tsunami probably still upstairs and the team.... somewhere in the building--

    No! Not this time. I will stop him right here, right now; I will not let my doubts conquer me. Polaris has left himself wide open. I'll show GZ and Ronin and Lightbringer and... Silk. I'll show them I'm not just a useless idiot. This time, I will end things before anyone else can get hurt. I've done it before and now... something is different. I am stronger; more than ever and-- Duat, I don't even know how I managed to survive that! Even if I do... die here trying... I will stop him here and now... because, the alternative...

    Mosi shakes the thought out; forces himself to smile.

    "Right. This is what it's gonna take. Everything I've got and little bit more than that." Mosi grabs the Spear and swings it around him, spinning it and leaving a trail of gold before descending into a modified runners stance. "Sekmet bless my spear, I-I don't want to fight. Not him, not Lightbringer, not the team, not... anyone. So I want-- I want to take him out in one overwhelming strike, with everything I've got and--" Mosi poses into a modified runners stance; his Spear ROARS golden, hostile -- burning his skin a little bit -- flecking away at the darkness the descends back down his supple body as --

    "Hey, Polaris!" Mosi dashes towards the side of the building he kicks up -- all the weight of his enhanced strength shifting into his feet. He springs himself up stories. He lets the black sand, wrapped around his feet, claw into the glass; the Lion runs up as fast as he can, up to above Polaris and pops off the glass, shattering it and the panel beneath him as he readies his body into combat stance. He flings the spear down as hard as he can towards Polaris.

    "Let me show you EXACTLY how I roar!!" The Lion grins. Then his eyes go wide.

    "IF YOU TRY TO FIGHT HIM, HE WILL KILL ALL YOUR FRIENDS YOU MUST RETREAT YOU MUST RETR--"

    The panel below reveals Mosi's chest -- impaled by a reversed SPEAR.

    ~~

    He gasps and sputters, makes eye contact with Polaris. Mosi's face twists into desperation before he DROPS; The Lion suddenly seeing how many stories he will fall. He bounces and claws his way down the facade of the building with a a metallic groan as his claws scrape his way down into a slowed descent just before he EXPLODES through --

    WHAT REMAINS OF THE GARDEN TERRACE--

    and is jettisoned THROUGH part of the facade; past the HOLE and straight DOWN into the GROUND, leaving a thick DUST CLOUD, cracking the ground into a large crater, not more than 20 meters out from Ground Zero.

    When the dust clears, we see the Lion in-panel. He's landed SPEARTIP first, the unbreakable weapon embedding itself into the gravel below his feet, leaving him dangling and hung up on the weapon. As Mosi gasps, he slides down the haft slowly -- propping him up the ground and keeping him together, probably the only reason he survives the enormous fall... but also probably not good for his personal health. The Lion COUGHS up blood.

    "Oh...." He wheezes out. "Sekhmet. You.... You were totally right, GZ. Looks like I got myself into trouble." He smiles and laughs. "...Again." He looks over, one eye half open, at Tiger Shark.

    "Ugh, who in Duat are you?" He groans, looking at her. He glances at the civilians. "You all make things... way more complicated, no offense." He looks back at GZ.

    "Zero, I-- GZ, I know.... I know I joked about you not being important to--" He coughs. "Important to the team... But right now, you're gonna... I'm gonna need you to be the guy who-- who gets to look good and save the team." He smiles, then shakes his head. "But you're not gonna like... how you'll have to do it." He unclips his helm -- letting the chinstrap dangle loose, as he desperately tries to force his limp feet between him and the ground -- causing more and more blood to pour from him. He gives GZ a hazy thumbs up, flexing his bicep a little on accident. He GROANS.

    "There's this guy, POLARIS, who's attacking the building with some Ninja -- he's, he's crazy strong. Like... stronger than the entire team... maybe put together. Could be as... or almost as strong as Lightbringer and... Maybe he's reached our team by now, or maybe not... but... you need to fly up to wherever in Duat the rest of the team are... and get Sunburst and get Moonshadow and get them OUT-- Out of here, now." The Panel shifts again, this time to a familiar FEAR --

    A SILHOUETTE of Polaris's gloved hands wrapped around, snapping someone's neck. It's Ronin.

    ~~

    This next page is a collection of panels of the team in action, seemingly frozen in SLOW MOTION; each panel popping in as their names are brought up by Mosi in their part of his plan, drawn out in crackling GOLDSCALE.

    "The team.... is marked for death. We-- Tsunami, Ronin and I -- we will hold down the building and cover your escape, while... while you three... call in reinforcements, from the Guardians, from.... Lightbringer, from... WHOEVER." He grimaces, visibly shaking from the pain of being held up on the spear.

    "I hate to say it-- but it's looking like we'll have to put our trust in the odds that we will get backup from the heroes of this city. So either the three oldest can hold off the bad guys and risk... Y'know. Or it can be all of us. And... if the three of you get out, you and Sunburst and Moonshadow can find Hikari and restart the team so... just... listen to me, and let your senpai take care of everything, okay?" He yanks himself up to his feet, and with a mighty heft, pulls the spear from the ground -- steadies himself as blood pours out of his chest and down his abs, constantly being regenerated.

    We snap over to a panel captioned Lion Family Hospital Room. Mios Pride seizes in his bed, his hair quite a bit PALER than before--

    "I'll take care of this one here, so no..." Mosi coughs some more blood into his hand, dizzy. "No... no problem. You just... you just go on and get your girl and leave this... to your Rival." He grins, slight.

    Then Mosi clenches both his hands into BLOODY fists, ready to fight -- even as his own spear still runs through his chest; looking almost comical in the longshot, were he not so grimly, stupidly and desperately determined. His teeth clench HARD in a cut-in Panel; tears stream down his cheeks. Dramatic Music would swell, if this weren't a comic book.

    The Lion tries to pull off his helmet all the way, like in the first fight. Only this time, a MASK of PURE BLACK ENERGY clings on -- the shadow, the true face of what it is that lives inside of The Lion's Helm -- its tendrils swirl around him from head to toe as it RIPS the mask closer to his face. An aura of black sand graces the air -- seemingly armoring Mosi as he stands tall. Or, as tall as one can, when impaled by a mythical spear. He steps forward...

    I-I can still give everything I have to win this fight... then I just need to find a way up there to get her... AND... and... and... He falls over; balled-up on his side -- Mosi whimpers, his skin pale. The Lion's healing factor buckles, trying to keep up with the enormous weight of what its been asked to do. His eyes -- now his normal blue -- look up at GZ. A flash of shame, panic, then... nothing. Mosi's eyes glaze over; the Lion is silent.

    His chest moves only just enough to be visible to an observant reader. Still breathing, at least for now.

    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    7 on Never Give Up Never Surrender (Chose to take opportunity). Rolled All I've got for a 5 (Chose to damage Mosi instead of friend/bystander, because it wasn't too situationally relevant (though we will see with falling debris, so [Shrugs]. Super Ouch, because I resultingly took a Powerful Blow for a whopping 14 -- Mosi has "exited the scene" (top option) due to unconsciousness.
    Last edited by Hans Free; 2019-10-05 at 10:43 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Pool: 3


    Tsunami, Suburst, Ronin, Silk: Archives


    The scene above continues to move, and go south, quickly. Silk dispatching Ronin's weaponry into Tsunami who then creates his own namesake, trying to sweet the shadowy creatures out of the very promomenent hole that Ground Zero has created. The beasts howl in shock though the waters ebbs and swirls bring them not out of the room but instead next to Silk. Neither seem interested in attacking the ninja, in fact they seem cowed by her presence.

    That probably isn't a good sign.

    The Lion, Polaris--Ground Zero, Tigershark: Outside, street level

    "Oh now you care about these people." The voice is something other than Tiger Shark now. Deep like the ocean, a double echo that drifts through the air even as the pillars of earth rise. "I thought you only cared to bring the Warlords to heel." The mighty elemental armor rises, a giant scythe forming and ready to fall when The Lion falls into the panels with a resounding smash. In true comic fashion, Tiger Shark waits until The Lion has said his peace and promptly passes out.

    "I won't go after them."
    Tiger Shark's voice reappears on the panels, the scythe cutting between Ground Zero and The Lion. "After I'm done with you, I'll take the rest of my rage on him." Another powerful scythe cleaves into vision, slamming into Ground Zero. Then another, and another. A torrent of sharp piercing blades.

    Spoiler: Ground Zero
    Show
    Roll to take a Powerful Blow.

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Silk
    Conditions:
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: +3
    • Savior: -1
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Devil or Angel on My Shoulder: When you provoke a teammate to violent action or drastic measures as your Hero Persona, roll with your Alias Label. When you discourage a teammate from going overboard or making an action they can’t take back as your Alias Persona, roll + your Hero Label.
    • [X]Save the Light: When you step in to intervene, help a civilian, or stop a threat roll + your Hero label. On a miss, you’re made to look the fool. Mark a Condition and give ground. On a hit, you’ve got someone’s attention. Use it as an opportunity or provoke them to action. On a 10+ your foe must respond in kind or flee.


    As the water floods out of the room like a receding tide, Silk readies herself for an attack from the still-standing Tsunami. But before the scene can erupt in further violence, something unexpected happens. The shadowbeasts heel before Silk like obedient hunting dogs. Then, her inky black shadow starts seeping toward them, and when it touches the beasts, they begin to melt, melding and merging. Silk's shadow gets bigger and blacker. Panel-by-panel, the shadow peels off the floor and stands up in space. It continues to grow as it feeds on the shadowbeasts, reaching the same size as Silk, and then bigger. It keeps growing until it stands over 10 feet tall, a giant made of corporeal shadow, the immaterial made material.

    "Huh. That's new."

    Silently, and with frightening speed, the Shadow Hierophant lashes out with an oversized fist, smashing Tsunami into a nearby faux-tree pillar with a very audible KRUNCH!

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Specialist's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    The Surface of the Sun

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Tsunami
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 2/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +3
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.


    While at least some of the water has been cleared from the area, things haven’t entirely gone as planned. Having missed the beginning of the fight, he’s unaware of who the shadowy canines ‘belong’ to, and while Silk has appeared to have only entered the fray at the same time he did, he’s not entirely surprised when they seem to obediently submit themselves before the shadowy ninja. He is however taken slightly off guard when they seem to absorb into said ninja’s own shadow. That IS new.

    Though still standing mostly straight, Max is panting visibly and audibly, already physically taxed from the previous attacks. His gaze follows as Silk’s shadow swells and grows to tower over both of them. While Tsunami is never one to flinch from a fight despite his idealistic efforts to stop them before they start, even with the Oni mask in place his expression currently is quite clearly less than thrilled. They’d only just got rid of the last elemental giant, thanks to Kai. And the redhead had yet to return. None of that bodes well.

    Tsunami straightens further in anticipation of the fight, and turns his more armoured side forward, but the Shadow Hierophant moves before he can do anything other than offering the toughest cheek, so to speak. Another blow of frightening force sends him slamming into the nearest pillar in short order, the boy taking a secondary blow as gravity reclaims him and he falls forward onto his face with an audible flump to follow the previous krunch.

    There’s a moment that follows where Tsunami doesn’t move at all, that is, save to breathe, thankfully. He then begins to scramble, after a moment that feels much much longer in his head, boots scraping the ground and hands shoving against it, trying to push himself up quickly but with obvious effort. He’s moving slower though, whether from pain, damage, just having his senses knocked clean out of him, or C: all of the above. It would probably be practical for him not to move at all; through the adrenaline he can’t tell if something’s broken on top of bloodied and bruised.

    But it’s Max’s instinct to get up again as quickly as he can, because he honestly can’t tell how long he was flat on his face for, or if he might have actually blacked out for a second in there upon meeting the pillar, and that scares him. Not because it would imply he's injured, but because the Shadow Hierophant moved so fast he could barely keep up, and he needs to orient himself before another blow comes. Or at least, get his head up, for said goal. It isn’t easy readjusting, with his hair falling in his face and something else making his eyes sting, enough that he has to keep the right one closed. He hopes it’s just sweat and dust, but the sour tang of copper on his tongue suggests it’s more than that.

    The other reason he's so stubborn on getting back up again of course is because once the fighting (regrettably) starts, Max’s style of heroism almost exclusively runs on the motto of ‘Either you stay down or you better make ME.' To the detriment of himself and now likely his team as well, as he's close to clocking out and leaving them on their own if he pushes any further.

    He manages to get back up on his feet, so at least it seems he’s still hanging together in one piece. That said, immediately he finds that gravity remains an enemy as the floor feels as if it is pitching beneath him. Well, better move fast in that case, before it gets the better of him. Max can still vaguely make out everyone’s position, and the Shadow Hierophant is hard to miss.

    Mustering up his remaining strength, the water lingering beneath his feet abruptly evaporates, sending him flying forwards at an upward angle. A path of steam spreads rapidly from where he was standing, erupting beneath the shadowy behemoth and lifting the entity off the ground as well. Tsunami meets it midair, an armoured fist colliding with its core. The gauntlet he wears channels further hydraulic force behind the teen’s already unnatural strength, adding a renewed burst of speed to the Hierophant’s ascent.

    Tsunami lands back on the ground, a bit heavily and quickly dropping to a knee, running out of steam quite literally.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless, Angry
    Potential: 4/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    0

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.


    Sunburst barely registers Tsunami's quick thanks before he's blasted away from her. She turns with a wordless cry, watching him slam backward into the ground some distance away. The relief is evident on her face as he picks himself up again. It was still all ok, Tsunami could handle this, he'd know what to do. She turns back forward again, raising her fists in a poor approximation of a fighting stance as Tsunami's wave rushes past her. The panels show her standing dramatically in front of them, the wave crashing around her as she keeps her focus forward. A second panel, however, shows her flinching in reaction to the abrupt influx of water.

    Once she's got her composure back, Silk has summoned a gigantic shadow to her control. Eyes wide, Sunburst is too slow to do anything more than watch as the ephemeral fist slams Tsunami back to the ground. Hard. Her blood runs cold. Then her core heats. The shadows around her blast backward around her, throwing everything into stark contrast as smoke rises from her clothing. Sunburst's features disappear until there's just the suggestion of an impossibly lit humanoid in the middle of the room. This had to stop, right now. Without thought of consequence, Sunburst threw her arms forward and abruptly loosed the energy she'd built up toward Silk and her shadow construct, screaming as she did so.



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ground Zero
    Conditions: Angry & Insecure
    Potential: 0/5


    Ground Zero's situation goes from tough to terrible as Lion comes crashing down to Earth with his own damn spear sticking out of him. The prince says something about how GZ was right, and that he needs GZ to save the rest of the team, but won't like how he'd have to do it. As he describes an incredibly powerful enemy heading towards the rest of the team, Kai wonders why Lion thought he wouldn't like going up against someone like that, but then Lion mentions his plan for GZ to carry the sisters to safety and leave the rest of the team to their fate.

    Yeah, **** that noise.

    Then the madman goes on to declare his intent to finish the fight against Tiger Shark, and in what has to be one of the most hardcore displays GZ has ever seen, Lion pulls himself up off the ground, dislodging the spear from the ground, and then takes a fighting stance, WITH THE SPEAR STILL STICKING OUT OF HIS GODDAMNED CHEST!

    And then the image is immediately ruined as he collapses to the ground, unconscious.

    The next thing GZ knows, a volley of highly pressurised water scythes are slamming into him. The pillars he created to protect the civilians crumble apart as GZ diverts his focus into protecting himself. But not before a few of the scythes break through his protective field and leave a series of lacerations across his arms and torso, and as the blows rained down on him, one thought dominated his mind.

    I can't fight her and keep Lion safe.

    The only reason Lion wasn't in immediate danger right now was because she was focusing her attention on a stil target. That target being an increasingly battered GZ, and as tough as he was, he couldn't take these hits much longer, but if he tried to start moving and dodging, then there was a solid chance of one of her wild slashes bisecting the fallen Prince.

    And he couldn't let that happen. Not after the guy had fought so damn hard to try and keep the team safe that he ended up with his own damn spear through his chest, and still tried to keep fighting. No, he needed to get Lion out of here, and fast.

    Not a moment after finding his resolve, the barrage of blows seemed to ease up, and GZ took off in a dash towards his teammate. His focus narrowed, like a sprinter seeing nothing but the finish line, turning a blind eye to Tiger Shark as he tried to cover the distance between himself and Lion as quickly as possible.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Took a powerful blow. Rolled an 11. Went with two options from the 7-9 list: marking two conditions and giving TS an opportunity.

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Silk
    Conditions:
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: +3
    • Savior: -1
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Devil or Angel on My Shoulder: When you provoke a teammate to violent action or drastic measures as your Hero Persona, roll with your Alias Label. When you discourage a teammate from going overboard or making an action they can’t take back as your Alias Persona, roll + your Hero Label.
    • [X]Save the Light: When you step in to intervene, help a civilian, or stop a threat roll + your Hero label. On a miss, you’re made to look the fool. Mark a Condition and give ground. On a hit, you’ve got someone’s attention. Use it as an opportunity or provoke them to action. On a 10+ your foe must respond in kind or flee.


    Tsunami's impact actually makes Silk flinch from the brutality. The other boy is seriously messed up. Whatever happened to her shadow, it hadn't been her choice, and it didn't feel like it was under her control. But she could feel a connection, like a single piece of thread linking the Shadow Hierophant to her. Its presence is oppressive and encompassing and...frightening.

    As Tsunami pushes himself up, Silk grimaces. "We don't have to do this, you know. We can all just walk away, right now. Nobody else has to get hu-"

    Silk gets cut off as a bright glow shines from off-panel. Uh-oh. The panel whites out as Sunburst lets loose, and when the light fades, the Shadow Hierophant is nowhere to be seen. Neither is Silk. There's a sudden burst of movement from behind a pillar, and then Silk is through the hole in the wall, gone.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2019-10-24 at 07:57 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Pool: 3


    Ground Zero, The Lion, Tiger Shark: Outside

    You don't get far. A howl below, unearthly and furious, echoes through the rain. Even as you ascend the powerful water armor, and Tiger Shark with it, launch ahead of you as powerful arms of water leap past you. "You go nowhere." the creature howls, a dozen scythe tipped arms anchor the quickly growing monster into the building. Like some nightmarish spider the thing crawls up the building only to bring several of its scythe arms down towards you. These splinter, the rain growing sharp as it falls not only upon you but the civilians below. Each drills into your armor, and from its posture the water elemental seems to be preparing another and much larger volley.

    What do you do?

    Spoiler: Ground Zero
    Show
    Mark a Condition




    The rest of the team, The Shadow Heirophant: Inside the Archive



    The rest nonwithstanding, the shadowy beast lets out an ear piercing scream as Sunburst goes Nova. As the shadows pull away and fade from the awesome display of energy the creature diminishes. Panel by panel the beast grows smaller and smaller. Revering first to its massive hound like forms, to one, to a pup before it dashes through the shadows themselves. The vast creature, small now, and very much gone.


    After Dark: Insert 4

    Master Sun perks a brow, sitting up slowly from his seat. “Everyone?”

    Impact remains limp, another tremor. “Tough, Lightbringer...the entire Junior Guardians roster. He chewed through them like they were nothing and I stood by and watched it all. Helped him with quite a few of them. Not actually killing them, he’d never let me. I was muscle, not a blade. It was his grand work, his responsibility to consign them all to the Dark so that his masterpiece could be seen through.”

    “I thought we promised to be honest with one another Impact. Lightbringer is very much alive, I spoke with her only hours ago. It was her will you be imprisoned.” Master Sun’s voice, so far level, hitches. Sure there’s been annoyance and surprise but the man is careful, calm even then. Now however his voice raises, his limits tested.

    “You’re a tool, same as me, Master Sun. I watched Lightbringer die, begging to the Light to protect her while Eibon scoured her away by tenebrous layer. The Light did nothing for her then. The Light waited until all was said and done, when Lady Tigress lay dead, the city teetering on the razor’s edge and Eibon...poor Eibon beyond the Dark. Then it moved and it moves again.” Much the same as Master Sun, Impact has remained level...or as level as one might be in this situation...but here her words drip with fear, loathing, disgust. She spits into the darkness around them. “Lightbringer has been dead and gone for forty years. The world just forgot. Forgot about the true end of The Junior Guardians, of Karakuri Town, of Twilight Impact and saddest of all Lady Tigress, the woman I loved. Slain by the man I’d come to respect above all others. They forgot him too...he forgot himself.” A tear rolls down Impact’s face and into the void.

    “Then…” Master Sun speaks, almost a whisper as he glances about the room. “Who stands next to the Throne of this city, Impact?” Master Sun waits but Impact does not respond. Slippered feet rasp against the floor leading to the imprisoned heroine, Master Sun grabbing her by the face with a violent yank to bring them eye to eye. “Who” he hisses. The panels cut to both of their eyes, framed in two thin rectangle boxes. Impact’s dark and stormy eyes red from tears. Master Sun’s wide, dialated, filled with fear. When you know everything, not knowing is a hard pill to swallow.

    It is one of the only breaks in the otherwise fully single room shot of After Dark. The page is black, a single voice bubble in the exact center. A page alone that only six people could receive in the entire run.

    “The Light.”
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-10-19 at 08:23 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions: Angry
    Potential: 2/5
    Gadget: 1

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.


    Ronin's frustration had grown as she was continuously half a beat behind the mark in trying to get a lock on the elusive Silk, cowardly hiding in her concealing smoke. Which was why it had been such a flash of satisfaction when the other woman had finally made a mistake, allowing her to lock on and fire!

    ...Satisfaction which had, of course, immediately morphed into shock and dismay as she realized she'd been suckered, and her shot had missed Silk and instead slammed into Tsunami! She had stood there, stunned for a long moment, as her usually far-too-capable brain struggled to process what had just happened.

    Being the one coordinating all of the sensor data, Chisei hadn't been much better off, truth be told. MIHO! I SHOULD HAVE ANTICIPATED THAT MOVEMENT, the AI had apologized. Fortunately, Tsunami had seemed to weather the blow relatively unscathed, and with a start Ronin realized that he had rejoined the combat and she had been still just standing there!

    ”Recriminations later, help out now!” she had replied to her digital friend, and charged forward toward the fray. She only has moments to note the sharp spike in energy readings before Sunburst erupts in a brilliant flash that leaks energy all up and down the electromagnetic spectrum, her viewscreen momentarily blanking to protect her vision.

    Or, so at least she initially believes until her next step simply…doesn't happen. Locked in place, the armour crashes to the floor and slides to a halt, darkness and silence enfolding Ronin within her high-tech cocoon.

    Chisei? she calls out, a little frantically. Chisei??

    No answer from her AI. No power response from the armour, no visuals and even less capacity to move her paralyzed legs than usual. She...is dead in the water. With Silk still out there, perhaps literally....

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ground Zero
    Conditions: Insecure & Guilty
    Potential: 1/5


    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    Freak: +0
    Danger: +3
    Savior: -1
    Superior: +1
    Mundane:+0


    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    In a China Shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
    Physics? What physics: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.


    GZ doesn't get far in his flight up the building, unconscious Lion in hand, before the elemental goliath that is Tiger Shark moves to intercept. A pang of guilt shoots through him as he sees the ice shards raining down on the people below, but he doesn't have long to focus on it as he's on a rapid collision course with Tiger Shark.

    Avoiding her isn't an option, he needs to take her out now.

    GZ tries to gather his focus and charge up a hit to finish the fight. One blow, with all the power to deal with an opponent whose tenacity is starting to impress him almost as much as it's been pissing him off. But as he throws his fist forward, something feels wrong. He's splitting his focus between too many things: flying, protecting himself, protecting Lion and now trying to charge this blow. While GZ had made his teammates aware that he had his powers due to his trip into the Cacophony, he'd never really explained just what that meant.
    The Chaotic energies that ruled the Cacophony were now a part of him, and he was constantly keeping them in check. An act that had become subconscious after his years enduring it. But now, with his conscious mind split between too many extraneous tasks, something snapped inside GZ.

    With a wordless roar, destructive energy came exploding out of him, with Lion still held to his side.

    And as the explosion faded, Ground Zero felt himself falling.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled for All You've got. Rolled a 5. Looks like I don't have a lot. Unleashing my powers in a disastrous way, but at least I get to clear angry. Sorry Lion.

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Issue One: Pre-Close


    The panels remain on Ground Zero, The Lion and Tiger Shark as the destructive blast ripples through the air. Both heroes are sent spiraling far and away from one another into the city below, twin smaller panels following them into the dark before cutting back in full to the water ensconced villain. With a wordless cry within her "armor", Tiger Shark gives one final gasping breath before she took falls to the ground below. Water trails after her though no longer animated.

    The panels crawl up and up, Polaris offering a hand to Silk as she dips out of the building and further to a small waiting chopper that battles with the furious winds. Tumult extends a hand to them both before the chopper flies away.

    The last panels finally fall on the remaining team within Monkey Island as Miss Wu and her sisters dash into the now devastated Archives. The Huntsman remains beaten, making no moves to run or take control of the situation that has long since spiraled out of control. Aid is given though the warm and generous welcome you received when you arrived has chilled. The damage, when the power returns in full, is easy to see. Archive columns blasted. A gaping hole in the side of the building. Water damage the likes of which will never really be repaired without a full renovation. The damage to the building is done.

    It can't compare to how you, the team must feel, as the Three Sisters escort you to the door with a very prompt "don't call us. We'll call you." style dismissal. They don't even get a panel for what can only be a serious tongue lashing on top of the defeat you've been handed. How do you feel through all of this? Where do you go?


    Spoiler: Silk
    Show
    Roll your Darkness.

    Spoiler: The rest of you
    Show
    Detail any responses you need and where you go after this. If you want a little more of a wrap post, now's your chance.

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions: Angry
    Potential: 2/5
    Gadget: 1

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.


    The panel is completely dark, with little pale squiggles in the gutters that somehow do a good job of indicating panic. The next panel has something besides blackness in it, at least...although it’s merely a few harsh breaths echoing in Miho’s ears. The armour is pitch black, lacking its usual litany of noises of operation; the only sounds she can hear are muffled movement of some sort nearby.

    She can’t move, and even if the armour wasn’t frozen in position she would be limited to a slow drag as the lower half of her body continued its stubborn refusal to work as it should. It’s been quite a while since she’s been this helpless, but even that isn’t the one thing that’s causing her the most concern at the moment.

    Another panel, black. Broken by a broken voice.

    ...Chisei? Miho asks quietly, her voice a stressed rasp. No, no no nonononono. Not Chisei, not her first and best friend. She just couldn’t have allowed him to get killed while helping her.

    .....Chisei? Once more, plaintively.

    Despite all of this, she has been counting seconds silently to herself, and right on schedule the system reboot happens. The amount of light emitted by a blank screen is small but non-negligible, and her eyes are grateful for something to process.

    The armour whirs softly, and Miho’s sense for the classics shows itself as the screen prints HELLO, WORLD for her. Then a long beat before blanking, and being replaced by more text.

    MIHO? I BELIEVE OUR SYSTEMS WERE OVERLOADED BY AN EMP, Chisei prints helpfully for her, and the breath she lets out in relief nearly fogs the screen to irreadability. MY CORE SHUTDOWN PROCEDURES MANAGED TO BEAT OUT THE WAVEFRONT’S ARRIVAL, BUT I AM AFRAID THE ARMOUR DID NOT FARE SO WELL.

    There are tears in Miho’s eyes, fortunately only visible to the reader and not to her teammates. ”Doesn’t matter,” she tells her friend in a hoarse whisper. ”We’ll repair it. As long as you’re okay.”

    - = * * * = -

    ‘Did not fare so well’ is accurate enough, if lacking sufficient punch to fully express the damage to the armour’s systems. The gross physical structure is intact; an EMP’s damage is done primarily to electronics and the delicate computers attached to them. Some wiring was fried, circuits were toasted, and computer subroutines just wiped out entirely. Through some judicious (and in some cases, probably ill-advised) re-routing of power and controls Miho and Chisei manage to get the armour...well, mostly mobile, if not functional. A simple pass-through for air exchange lets her breathe, and the most basic of lower motor functions get her walking again, albeit like the titular character from an old sci-fi movie about a cop who becomes a cyborg...post-mortem.

    It will take a lot of work to get her systems back up to speed, and even more to get them to where she wants them after this...debacle...but as she’d said, that doesn’t matter. She’s okay, Chisei is okay, the team has survived more or less intact...those of which who had been here, that is...and they live to fight another day.

    That's...about all that's good that can be said about the outing, however. The get their heads handed to them by Silk and her goons; the ninja makes her escape with whatever she had been looking for in the first place, and goads the team into more or less wrecking the Archives in the process. The unbelievably amazing offer of personal spin by a respected major company evaporates like fog on a summer afternoon, and Miho can't really blame Wukong Industries. She imagines it is only the goodwill they earned earlier that is preventing them from pressing charges against the team, really.

    Halting, limping, battered and bruised, Yani no Yojimbo slinks out with their tails between their legs. While bodies and armours may be back in fighting form soon enough, it may take a great deal longer to repair the spirits of this particular group of young heroes.

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless, Angry
    Potential: 4/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    0

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.


    The panels shift their focus over to Sunburst, her arms still outstretched from the blast she'd unleashed. Wisps of steam rise from her skin, the panels close on her, her face just slightly out of focus. A second panel brings her face into focus, her expression difficult to read. Then she sags, dropping to her knees, hands falling to her lap. Her empty gaze continues looking forward and the panels pull back, showing her small in the devastation that the room had become. Opposite her is the hole she's blasted in the wall, faint scorchmarks visible along the floor leading toward the structural damage, the hole left behind eerily dark and empty. Tsunami lies collapsed on the floor to one side of her, Ronin motionless and dark to the other.

    She slowly folds in on herself, her eyes tearing up as she starts to silently sob. The edges of the panels dim, drawing the eye to her even as Wukong employees move in to help the defeated heroes. A final panel shows a foil blanket being put over her.

    There's a match cut, Lanuola now standing outside of the building, still wearing the foil blanket across her shoulders. Her expression is still downcast and she stands a little way away from the rest of her team, or at least those that had managed to stay conscious. After a few moments, she hesitantly opens her mouth to speak. There's a beat panel where she seems to think better of it, then she finally speaks. "I-I-I... I-I sh-should go..."

    In spite of her words, she stands still, as though waiting for confirmation that she should leave, or perhaps censure for her actions.



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Silk
    Conditions:
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: +3
    • Savior: -1
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Devil or Angel on My Shoulder: When you provoke a teammate to violent action or drastic measures as your Hero Persona, roll with your Alias Label. When you discourage a teammate from going overboard or making an action they can’t take back as your Alias Persona, roll + your Hero Label.
    • [X]Save the Light: When you step in to intervene, help a civilian, or stop a threat roll + your Hero label. On a miss, you’re made to look the fool. Mark a Condition and give ground. On a hit, you’ve got someone’s attention. Use it as an opportunity or provoke them to action. On a 10+ your foe must respond in kind or flee.


    Polaris grins lazily and holds his hand out to take the stolen goods from Silk. Behind him, Tumult exchanges a meaningful glance with Silk and slowly begins to withdraw his tranquilizer pistol. Silk demurs, sitting down in one of the seats.

    "Now, it's nothing personal Polaris, but-" Gripping the armrests on the seat, Silk launches herself up, raising her legs to her chest and kicking out, pushing a startled Polaris out of the still-open door of the helicopter. "Business is business."

    The panel pulls to an outside shot of the helicopter, flying away from Monkey Island, Polaris quickly fading to a glowing purple point as he falls.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled an 8 on Silk's Darkness and an 11 to directly engage. It doesn't actually matter what I pick off the menu in this particular instance.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2019-10-30 at 01:49 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Specialist's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    The Surface of the Sun

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Tsunami
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 2/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +3
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.


    "We don't have to do this, you know. We can all just walk away, right now. Nobody else has to get hu-"

    That was the last thing Tsunami hears, before it does hurt again. He barely has time to strain over the words. Some flicker of genuine hope does want to believe they could reason with Silk. That it isn’t just a trick. That maybe they could explain... But it is all washed away before he has any more time to toil over the thought, consciousness bleeding out of him as he’s overcome with the flood of blinding light.

    He doesn’t recall how he ended up face down on the ground again, but once the employees rouse him and the others he can see that Ronin and Sunburst don’t look to be faring much better, appearing just as battered either physically or in spirit. It takes all of his remaining strength just to get back off the floor and stay moving. Most of his concentration is focused on putting one foot in front of the other; his body feels beaten and weak, compromised. He hopes the grinding he feels is just the twisted armourings still barely holding on. He still hasn’t had time to process everything by the time they’ve been escorted outside. Most of anything the Three Sisters might have said passes straight through him.

    Max can’t exactly be described as an optimist, even if he’s shown well and again that he can be an idealist. As he revealed to Mosi though, it takes active effort to fight the allure of cynicism. He rejects pessimism more out of spiteful determination than an actual abundance of light in his heart. That said, he didn’t foresee a failure of this magnitude, even with all the warnings they’d received from The Smith and others; he’d trusted they’d find a way to victory, one way or another. It didn’t bode well, given that this had been only the first step in their effort to protect San Fran from the coming dark. Failure simply wasn’t an option. And yet, here they are.

    Sunburst’s voice draws him painstakingly back into the moment, and he turns his head carefully to look at her; even with the slowness of the movement, he finds himself slightly dizzy. Everything hurts. Damp dirty hair still crowds his face, obscuring his vision slightly, though paired with the Oni mask it’s perhaps more appropriate and scary looking than usual. Through the haze, he can tell that she’s shaken badly, that she needs reassurance. There’s so much he’d like to say, regardless of the truth. But speaking at all feels like such a monumental task. When he does, his voice is a bit of a croak.

    “...Don’t give up,” He condenses it all into a short statement, although his tone is hardly cheerful or positive, almost sounding more of an order than encouragement. “...We have... lots to do. Go home. Stay... safe,” It all likely comes off less warm than he intends, but it’s all he can muster to string together in that particular moment. He would have liked to have walked with her to make sure she was ok, and Ronin too. They’re all vulnerable right now.

    He would have rather done a lot of things. Like return to the base, but instead, he drags his sorry self to the nearest hospital, which is saying a lot about his current state given his natural aversion to anything other than 'walking it off' (or even admitting he’s injured in the first place). He’d rather be looking their missing team mates first hand. But instead, he has to be satisfied compromising, sending out a message across their chat calling for everyone to sound off, and coordinate aid as necessary.

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions: Angry, Guilty
    Potential: 3/5
    Gadget: 1

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.


    Miho couldn’t help but catch the despair in Sunburst’s voice, and she wanted to help, she really did. She did her best, but the anger bubbling beneath the surface made it difficult to find the right words. She is barely mobile at the moment, and countless hours of repairs and upgrades await her attention until she’s field-worthy again.

    ”We should all go. Home, get some rest, regroup,” she clarifies. ”No doubt Lion and Zero are off somewhere breaking something else,” she adds, the words coming out more harshly than she intends, ”but I can’t imagine they’ll make things much worse than they already are. Things were already screwed up, Lannie. You didn’t make them much worse.”

    As pep talks go, it isn’t a stellar one....


    Spoiler: CRUNCH
    Show
    Comfort & Support Sunburst: 2d6-2 = 2 Too angry to express empathy; marking Potential, and Guilty.
    Last edited by Captain Jak; 2019-11-04 at 11:17 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •