Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Results 241 to 261 of 261
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 5/5
    Gadget: 2

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.
    • [X] Damage: You get an additional condition called Damaged. While marked, take +1 to take a powerful blow. To clear the Damaged condition, you need time, external help, or special equipment or abilities.


    The claim that this is a new, bold move at getting a foothold into the city isn’t the most comforting of one; the last thing San Fransappro needs is another morally questionable mercenary operating out of it.

    Well, that and Yami no Yojimbo wrecking another building, but they are working on that.

    The turn-around of being accused of stalling is mildly amusing, even though the thrust of the question has teeth.

    UH-OH, Chisei prints across her HUD.

    ”No worries, I’ve got this,” she says privately, then addresses the channel again.

    ”I do believe my friends and I have had quite enough bad PR of late without prompting you to shoot a few more people in retaliation for chicanery,” Ronin replies, phrasing her reply to downplay the likelihood he will try to manipulate them by threatening innocents. ”I assure you, I am not stalling for time, nor is anyone attempting to hack anything in the building that I’m aware of.” Totally true. It was a done deal, not something being attempted.

    ”You're in charge here, you obviously have a plan, and this is part of it. What can we do to resolve this situation without any more innocent casualties?” she asks, it having come to her turn.



    Spoiler: CRUNCH
    Show
    Pierce the Mask: 4
    That would be a big nope. Marking Potential.

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ground Zero
    Conditions: Guilty, Insecure
    Potential: 3/5


    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    Freak: +0
    Danger: +3
    Savior: -2
    Superior: +2
    Mundane:-1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    In a China Shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
    Physics? What physics: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.
    The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
    - What are they up to?
    - What or who do they most care about?
    - What allies do they have? Enemies?
    - Where and when can I find them?
    - How could I make them vulnerable to me?
    On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.


    Snow Fox's words hit hard. Kai wants to deny them, but he can't ignore the facts. He did leave his team fighting dangerous opponents without one of their best tanks, just so he could have a solo fight. A fight he proceeded to lose, and get Lion even more hurt in the process.

    He heard Hikari firing back at the Junior Guardian, calling out Fox's leadership ability, but she doesn't deny the Guardian's assessment of how he tackles problems. And why would she? Any problem he couldn't solve with his fists was a problem best left for someone else.

    He looked over to Sunburst. The rest of the team may have helped, but there was no denying that all the credit for getting the people of the streets went to her. Then when Snow Fox started calling them out, not just did she seem unphased by Fox's words, Kai had seen the way she calmed Hikari. She was incredible. Even after all that had happened at Monkey Island, she was still here kicking ass. Heck, she was one of the few people that hurt him without much difficulty, Kai thought as he recalled the time she'd temporarily blinded him.

    Wait...

    Kai looked up at the building, the massive light barrier around it, and the snipers that were most likely closely studying it, looking for a weakness or an opening, and a plan started to come together in his head.

    Jogging over to where Hikari and Tsunami were staring down Snow Fox and the other Guardian, plastering a smile that probably looked more like a grimace onto his face, he called out doing his best impression of Lion levels of enthusiasm "Guys, guys! Cut Snow Flake and the D-Listers some slack. We don't want him melting under the pressure now right?" Grabbing each of them by a shoulder, he pulled them close and whispered "Just go with it," as he pulled them a few steps away from the Guardians and to where Sunburst was maintaining the wall.

    "I've got a terrible plan. Like it is honestly awful, the sort of thing you would expect Lion to come up with," He explained to the trio. "But for it to have a chance I need to know two things. First, Sunburst, how bright can you make that barrier? Second," and this part was directed through the communicator, "Ronin, does the building have a PA system you could access? I want to turn the enitre building into one giant flash bang."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled to reject. Got a 4. Took insecure, and shifted labels.
    Last edited by Catastrophic_B; 2020-01-16 at 11:28 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Pool: 3


    Ronin, Hannya: A Conversation

    More silence as Hannya again checks around himself. Paranoia is probably a wise stance to take when talking with a known hacker and technowarrior like Ronin, not to mention the fairly easy access of the sky above the main hostage area. Hannya seems even more paranoid than this seems to warrent however, perhaps it's just a personal tick, perhaps the enclosure is making him squirrely. It's important to note all the same that even while his physical actions show he's jumpy his voice keeps the same calm and playful cadence.

    "Bzzzzz, and here I thought we'd be able to play this game fairly Ronin."
    comes the eventual response, several guards picking one of the hostages out of the group before tossing him to the ground. A chorus of shouts and sobs come from the amassed group as the guards level their weapons at the man. A man you know. One of the many big wigs looking to further expand new building projects into the Jingu District, the poorest and most downtroden of the Districts of San Fransapporo. An architect of this very building no less. Ground Zero got the last tie roll, he can name them.

    "So I'm going to ask again. What's really going on here Ronin? Talk to me, we could be friends. I want to take out the Warlords just like you. AEGIS seems to have the same mission, all their scattered agents are working with me. You could join them. Think of the good we could do together? We could run this town. Even if you won't, you just give us some time. We'll be done and out of everyone's hair here eventually. You could do us a whole lot of good if you got rid of the Guardians and your friends. That gives me another question right? Once you answer the first. Wouldn't want anyone to get hurt now would we?"

    You also see White Sparrow shift, her hands making several hand gestures while everyone's attention is focused on the man about to be shot.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He's using Pierce the Mask on you. He's asking you what you're really planning if it's hard to tell.



    Hikari, GZ, Sunburst, Lion, Tsunami, Snow Fox and the Junior Guardians: An Argument

    Things only continue to get heated between you and Snow Fox even as the other Junior Guardians do their best to stay out of the fight. There's silence, even after all the tense words and frankly mad plans before Snow Fox seems to relax with a heavy sigh. Hikari calling him out certainly gets the other Junior Guardians going, tittering and snide comments under whispered breaths needling the angry hero. "Fine." Snow Fox all but snarls, pointing to the other members of his team. "Fan out and start getting all the civilians away while that wall of light is still going. I want this place cleared as soon as we can manage. As for you."

    He turns once more to take the rest of your team in. "While we're doing that, just keep that wall up. The hostages inside are the next priority. If we can save everyone here we might have a way inside. We just couldn't take the risk. If you lot wanna throw yourselves into the meat grinder though, go ahead. I tried to keep you from the action, but if you won't sit and shut up." he gives a shrug as the rest of the Guardians get underway. He's not leaving the scrutiny over you any time soon though, even if he takes to Hikari's bait.

    There's always room to help the other Guardians of course, clearing all these people including wounded is going to take time and from the sound of things he's not a favorite with his own people let alone the rest of you. Either way, what do you?

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 0/5
    Gadget: 2

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X]White lies: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they are your role model as a hero, roll + Savior instead of + Mundane. On any hit, if they open up to you, take Influence over them.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.
    • [X] Damage: You get an additional condition called Damaged. While marked, take +1 to take a powerful blow. To clear the Damaged condition, you need time, external help, or special equipment or abilities.


    Ronin frowns at the video feed, especially when the action there doesn’t specifically match what she’s receiving in audio. If he isn’t broadcasting a threat to kill a hostage, that means...it’s a test to see if she’s hacked the cameras.

    That may save the man’s life; it may not.

    Careful, careful.

    ”I don’t play games with innocent people’s lives, Hannya,” she replies, keeping her voice calm and measured. ”And I am being straight with you; I’m a lousy liar,” she admits.

    ”What do I want? Yes, you’re right, I want all the warlords brought down and justice restored, especially the Warrior.” Grandpa dearest. She doesn’t bother trying to keep the venom from her tone.

    ”But your way? With violence, and blood, and substituing their rule for your own? …No,” she tells him decisively, watching the scene unfolding in the small pop-up window as she hovers outside the moat of light.

    ”I am going to help bring them down, but I will do it right,” she goes on, her voice ringing with conviction. ”With due process and rights respected. To do it his way, your way, means I’m no better than him. I am, and I’m going to show everyone that before I’m done.”

    Well.

    That got a little impassioned there.

    ”But that’s future goals; here and now, like I said, there are no plans to storm the building, no crazy half-baked schemes that will make things worse,” she tells him; true enough, since they haven’t had a chance to make plans, and she’s not going to bother replying to Zero beyond the oblique comments she’d just made.

    ”So there is your question, answered twice,” she says calmly. ”While you still have yet to answer mine. You clearly want something; I want to know if we can facilitate it, so no one else gets hurt. Isn’t that why you took hostages? Leverage, to help enforce your will? How can I, can we, help you end this so no more innocents need be hurt?” she asks.

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Pool: 3

    Ronin, Hannya: An End

    There's more silence on the line before the armed guard forcefully yanks the poor negotiator back in. Not that it matters, you've hacked their walkie talkies so it was a meaningless display. You can't tell where the direction for that action is coming from however, either the security cameras not giving you a clear sight or something else going on. Hannya remains motionless throughout. "That's better." he finally returns, motioning for the solider to toss their captive back into the huddle. "To answer your question, just stay out of our way. Go home, leave this to us and we'll be right as rain. We won't be much longer. The Guardians won't do anything until we leave our friends here and White Sparrow has agreed to come with us until we've fled to our base of operations. I trust you will do the same. You've proven yourself untrustworthy however Ronin. A trait you learned from your Grandfather no doubt. I don't play games with liars."

    Hannya turns, motioning to the remaining guards who quickly spread out. It's just Hannya, Sparrow and the hostages in the main room now.

    "I hope this is the last time we'll speak Ronin. We will have to take down your barrier, as a parting favor we won't start firing on the civilians down below. I can't say much the same for your friends if they get brave." Another hand motion, a number of shots once more ringing out from the building as powerful blasts ripple over the shield covering the building. You could reinforce it Sunburst but it's not likely they're going to relent on this.

    "Our comms are compromised, Black Earth Protocol. Stick to the Elementals. Take out cameras or other devices, Ronin and the other Oni masked one are dangerously tech savvy."

    A screech flies over your comm as you see the mercenaries and Hannya start destroying their comms. Your video feed is next though in a slower progression.

    An update to your mission
    - Minimize casualties and wounded: Cleared, the wounded below are fine and the wounded inside are healed up.
    - Get the hostages out: Ongoing
    - Collateral is going to make matters worse, if not just totally blow the operation.
    - Capture the villains, or at least incapacitate them for someone else to capture them.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-01-20 at 07:32 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 1/5
    Gadget: 2

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X]White lies: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they are your role model as a hero, roll + Savior instead of + Mundane. On any hit, if they open up to you, take Influence over them.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.
    • [X] Damage: You get an additional condition called Damaged. While marked, take +1 to take a powerful blow. To clear the Damaged condition, you need time, external help, or special equipment or abilities.


    Ronin grimaces as their eyes inside start to fall apart, the mercenaries systematically destroying the cameras as they locate them. She drops down to rejoin the rest of the team, ignoring Show Fox and the rest for the moment.

    ”Everyone got all that?” she inquires, glancing at the building for a moment. She herself hadn't followed more than the gist of the exchange with the Junior Guardians, having only heard half of the exchange. She does, however, get the essence of the matter, which doesn’t endear them to her.

    ”They're going to use the elementals as a shielding agent when they leave, I'd imagine,” she points out, darting a quick glance at Sunburst, safely hidden in her helmet, before pulling her eyes away with a pang of guilt. El has only been, like, the single most useful person here today, despite Ronin's ill-advised attempt to make her feel better about things the other day falling well short of the mark.

    ”We’ve got mobility on our side; we could certainly hit them while in transit, assuming we can trust them not to put the hostages in danger to distract us while they make their escape,” she continues, her tone making it clear that she certainly doesn’t trust them that much. ”We may have to hit them inside and secure the hostages, fort up with them until Dēmonrōdo leaves, and then attempt to catch up and take them in transit once the hostages are safe.”

    As a plan...it’s awful, with too many variables that could end up setting everything spinning into a disaster. However, until the hostages are safe, there’s not much that can be done except work to ensure that safety.

    Turning to look at the building again though the wall of Light, still standing strong in spite of the barrage against it, she scans the structure to see if she can determine a likely port of ingress that might let them get the jump on the opposition.

    ”I’ve got some experimental tech I’ve been working on,” she goes on, turning back to the others. ”I might be able to go in stealthed, or retune my shielding to protect the hostages if we can get to them. What’s the play?” the armoured heroine asks, her blank faceplate turning to Tsunami.


    Spoiler: CRUNCH
    Show
    Assess the Situation: 6
    Marking Potential

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Specialist's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    The Surface of the Sun

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Tsunami
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 3/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Fireside Chat: When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.
    • [X]Before We Get Started: When you take the time to closely observe your opposition before a battle, roll + Savior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1 and mark a condition. During battle, you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to name a character you observed and...:
      • ...redirect their attack to another character or nowhere—into a wall or the sky.
      • ...cross a distance between them and you.
      • ...disarm them.
      • ...ignore all harm to yourself from one of their attacks.
      • ...escape any bindings or restrictions they attempt to place on you.


    Max nods in confirmation to Ronin as she lands, though doesn’t immediately speak up as she continues, listening to all that she has to say first.

    He’s been trying to reign himself in, let Hikari call the shots, given their last conversation. He’s been trying to trust his team mates and think of himself as part of a unit, as these were failures last time. If he’d been on his own today, or simply himself a few months ago, he’d definitely have tried to get himself into the building. Offered himself as a hostage maybe. He’s pleased they’ve got the wounded to safety, but there’s been altogether too much talk and not enough action still for his liking. That said, he’s not going to protest or such, knowing it can still be his knee-jerk reaction to rush headlong, and still wanting Hikari to make her showing as leader.

    When Ronin looks to him after asking what the play is, he is slightly surprised, but he tries to be honoured by her trust and not focus too heavily on the guilt and insecurity that gnaws in the back of his mind. Does he really deserve it after their last mission? But this time at least he is more prepared. Mentally, anyway. And thankfully in ways that may make up for his lack of peak physical condition.

    Since Dēmonrōdo made it clear they’re worried about him as well as Ronin, he shifts about, moving to where his back is to the building while he faces his team mates, so that he can address them without letting anyone watching from the building see what he’s doing.

    “...I think we’re running out of time honestly, if we want to get any of us in there, and getting all of us in there without causing trouble is unlikely.” As he’s giving his assessment, he’s turned one of his arms over, keeping it low and tucked in close against his body. His cell phone is fitted into a frame fixed to his gauntlet, so that he can easily make use of it when more than voice commands are needed. Which he is, making use of it that is, rapidly tapping away at a new app, seeming to be queuing up several actions.

    “It’s a little odd they haven’t outright killed anyone, and they definitely and easily could have. Not sure what it means, if it’s just to keep everyone distracted and busy, or... whatever. They have the advantage while they’re hunkered down in there though. Between the snipers, the hostages, and the building itself. I think you’re right... We might have a better chance cutting off their escape. More mobility, less hostages. They can’t take them all, and remain very mobile themselves. So White Sparrow, and maybe a few others, leave the rest behind with the elementals, most likely? I haven’t seen any vehicles in place that could act as transport for that many people. If they’re ‘on foot’, even better. That said... I don’t think we’ve established how they got in there, to begin with. Did they just walk in? If they used portals or something, we’re going to have more of a problem..”

    Finally he puts his arm down, looking back up to Ronin and the rest.

    “I’m bringing in some new toys from the base. I’ll bet a few drones can sneak in more easily than we can, anyway. Hopefully we can have some new eyes both inside and around the building shortly, and maybe answer some of those questions. Also this way we can follow them even if they try to pull some kind of distraction when they make their escape. But there will still be hostages left behind, trapped with those elementals from the sound of it, even if we decide to chase down Dēmonrōdo. We should... consider coordinating with the Guardians here, so that those people have help as well. In case this chase goes long, or the Guardians still plan on doing the same thing. A few drones are already inbound, more shortly after including a little present that might slow down our friends escape. First time using the new fabricator, so no guarantees...” He adds the last sentiment with a hint of apology. “What new toys do you got, Ronin?” He asks, given her mention of some experimental tech, before finally glancing towards Hikari for her ultimate decision, given the input from both him and Ronin.

    “What do you think we should do, Hikari?”

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled 8 to Assess the Situation. Max wants to figure out where they're going. With his Protege move Be Mindful of your Surroundings that means two questions.

    Going to ask:
    • How can we best end this quickly?
    • What here can I use to find out where Dēmonrōdo is going?

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    No thanks
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    The Lion
    Conditions: 4 (not Afraid); -2 to Everything but Directly Engage
    Potential: 3/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: 0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: -1
    • Mundane: +2
    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X]Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
    • [X]Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.

    "No, Zero... I'm quite sure that, uh, gold is golden. Silence... is probably just, like, some sort of… opaque transparent or something.” He pauses, and the slightest grin crosses his face. “Anyway, I should know what gold looks like, I have certainly owned more than quite enough of the sordid stuff." He rolls his eyes and mimes at stuffing a crown on his head, then a noose or choking him until he flicks off the crown and immediately starts faux-brushing off his shoulders and gasping for air like a newly un-drowning man.

    His typical attempts to play the fool, though certainly more morose than normal, are interrupted by GZ's sudden change of tone to an empathetic one. Mosi smiles back at him briefly, realizing that he might not come off as quite himself. Still, he jumps back into the task at hand, determined not to get distracted.

    -= * * * =-

    As he takes trip after trip, a sinking feeling rises in Mosi’s gut. Sure, the team had managed to secure the evacuation of the civilians on the ground level, but relations with the Guardians had quickly gone from incendiary to outright disintegrated. The Lion sighs; he couldn’t help but feel responsible in choosing to back Hikari up over establishing diplomacy. Everyman would be disappointed. Shut-up. Anyway, this was hardly the ideal way for their latest interaction with another supergroup — let alone the established authorities — to go. As far as he was immediately aware, the enemy was united even if they were supposedly cornered. The heroes’ division could still threaten to spell disaster for the mission.

    "Wait, I'm sorry. We--" But it's too late, Snow Fox has already stormed off, junior Guardians in tow. The Lion groans. Sekhmet! Difficult people, being difficult. Go figure. A thought that the ex-prince repeats rather quickly and unceremoniously as he rejoins the discussing group with a reluctant half-step, when he hears GZ describe his plan as such a poor idea that it could be called Lion-esque. Mosi glares daggers at him for an instant, but immediately breaks.

    His shoulders slump. He shrugs. Raises his hand.

    “Can I just be excused from class? I’d rather not die today. Er, that is…” He feels a sinking pit of unease in his gut as he looks up at the high-rise and the word ‘meatgrinder’ flashes through his head. “Uh, ’Kari, as long as it's okay with you, I'd... I’d prefer to stay behind to protect Sunburst, help clear the wounded… and we'll make sure there’s no backup, for them or worse. For us... He lets his comment breathe, clearing reminding the team of the seemingly lethal results of the last time their team received backup from another hero. But the illusions of time, and the safety in which to contemplate their plans and past are seeming stolen as Sunburst’s massive glowing barrier continues to be shot at and blasted at, in-unison. The framing of the Yojimbo is obscured a little, filled as it is with dust and debris as the their heads are bombed over and Ronin and Tsunami discuss what to do. Mosi looks at Sunburst, a little concerned as he sees the strain of their attacks on her increase and increase and…

    “Oh, sod it. Come on!!” He shakes a likely unseen fist up at the villains in frustration, before flash-turning to Tsunami. He grabs the shorter boy’s shoulder and brings him in close. “You have the right idea, Tsu’. We just need to push in and do… something. Anything. Or we’re just gonna end up being complicit in everything that we’ve been complaining about.” He starts to mobilize, stepping forward into the street. He turns and pulls out his spear with a flourish.

    “Everybody! It’s time that we do what it is that we do. We let the Guardians do their thing, and we will handle what’s leftover inside the building. The important part isn't just that we get inside, or upside, or whatever it is we’re gonna do — but that we do it, and that we do it, now! We can’t waste the opportunity that Sunburst’s buying for us; so we’ll plan as we go up the building. That’s more our style anyway, yeah? Besides, the more that we delay... the lower our chance of ensuring one hundred percent hostage survival. And we can’t accept anything less. No. We won’t.” He shakes his head, saying the last few words with a half-founded confidence. But Mosi still can’t bring himself to step forward conclusively into the killing field as Sunburst’s shield takes a beating above him. So he urges his friends forward in front of him with a wave and a nod.
    Last edited by Hans Free; 2020-01-24 at 01:53 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Hopeless
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    2

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

    Moves

    Wish I could be - When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll +Freak instead of +Mundane.

    Unstoppable - When you smash your way through scenery to get to or get away from something, roll +Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition, leave something behind, or take something with you. On a miss, you smash through, but leave devestation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM's choice.


    Lanuola finds that the conversation happening between her team and the Junior Guardians grows progressively harder to pay attention to. The shots ringing out against her barrier providing a steadily greater drain on her. By the time the discussion has turned to whether or not they should keep holding them in now that all but the hostages themselves are out of harm's way, she's starting to shake at the abruptly increased level of fire coming at her.

    "G-guys, I can't keep holding this. W-we need to get out o-of sight of the building."

    Following her own advice, she takes steady steps to the corner of a building and, once she was confident everyone was safely out of sight, drops her barrier.



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ground Zero
    Conditions: Guilty, Insecure
    Potential: 3/5


    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    Freak: +0
    Danger: +3
    Savior: -2
    Superior: +2
    Mundane:-1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    In a China Shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
    Physics? What physics: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.
    The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
    - What are they up to?
    - What or who do they most care about?
    - What allies do they have? Enemies?
    - Where and when can I find them?
    - How could I make them vulnerable to me?
    On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.


    Ground Zero can't help but feel a little bitter as his plan for a giant flash-bang got vetoed by the rest of the team, but listens with interest as Ronin explains her conversation with one of the hostage takers, and starts pulling some ideas together as she and Tsunami mention infiltration tech.

    He here's Sunburst's call to get out of sight, but figures that the mercenaries' guns can't hurt, and so it's probably best he stay an easy target for any with an itchy trigger finger. Besides, someone needs to hold Lion back from running in without a plan. He reaches out and grabs the prince by the shoulder and turn him around. "Lion, if there was a way to go in there without guaranteeing the deaths of the hostages, I would already be in there. You want to go hit some bad guys, I get that. I do to. But those people in there did nothing to deserve being collateral damage, and if you try to go in without a plan to keep them safe, you won't have to worry about Demon-road, I'll be the one you're fighting." There was a lot he was willing to do for a good fight, but not drag the innocent and powerless into a battle that didn't even need to happen.

    Turning to the two tech gurus of the team he asks "Do any of you have a way of tracking vehicles?"

    He quickly elaborates "They said that they were going back to their base, and taking White Sparrow as a final hostage with them. If we, bear with me here, let them go and return to their base, then, provided you have a way of tracking them, we would now have them all gathered in what is likely a more contained space with no hostages around. The perfect opportunity to go all out. Now how does that sound?"
    Last edited by Catastrophic_B; 2020-02-26 at 06:52 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Hikari
    Conditions: Angry
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: +3
    • Savior: -2
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Devil or Angel on My Shoulder: When you provoke a teammate to violent action or drastic measures as your Hero Persona, roll with your Alias Label. When you discourage a teammate from going overboard or making an action they can’t take back as your Alias Persona, roll + your Hero Label.
    • [X]Save the Light: When you step in to intervene, help a civilian, or stop a threat roll + your Hero label. On a miss, you’re made to look the fool. Mark a Condition and give ground. On a hit, you’ve got someone’s attention. Use it as an opportunity or provoke them to action. On a 10+ your foe must respond in kind or flee.
    • [X]Captain: When you enter battle as a team, add an extra Team to the pool and carry +1 forward if you are the leader.
    • [X]Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.


    As the team huddles, Hikari waits for everybody to give their input. She was on thin ice with some of them, whether she felt she deserved it or not. It was important to make sure they all felt heard, even if they would look to her for the final call. There were some questionable approaches being put forward, but some workable stuff too. GZ holding Lion back isn't something she would have expected, but it's a nice change of pace. Sunburst's warning cuts the playmaking short, however. "Time's up, people! Take cover!" Hikari falls back behind the line of fire as Sunburst's light screen finally comes down, high-caliber bullets taking chunks out of the concrete around them.

    Holding a hand against her workout earphone to block out some of the sound of gunfire, she broadcasts the rundown. "Sunburst, you did great! No time for Die Hard now. The Guardians have their protocol, they'll handle the hostages in the building. We can't let them get away with White Sparrow. Chase them down, but keep your distance! No collateral damage, no casualties. Run interference, redirect them if you can. We don't want them to get where they want to be. Tsunami, you can track them with your drones? If we can't cut them off, I want eyes on them."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Marking birthday potential!
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2020-02-26 at 11:33 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 1/5
    Gadget: 2

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X]White lies: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they are your role model as a hero, roll + Savior instead of + Mundane. On any hit, if they open up to you, take Influence over them.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.
    • [X] Damage: You get an additional condition called Damaged. While marked, take +1 to take a powerful blow. To clear the Damaged condition, you need time, external help, or special equipment or abilities.


    Looks like the choice of when to act is being taken out of their hands. Not waiting for any further immediate input from the leadership, Ronin turns to put the wall of light at her back.

    Chisei, dial me up to eleven,” she requests of her onboard friend.

    ”EVERYONE PLEASE CLEAR LINE OF SIGHT FROM THE BUILDING!” she says calmly, her voice booming out to echo off the faces of nearby buildings. ”THE BARRIER IS COMING DOWN, SNIPER DANGER IS IMMINENT.”

    Kinetic shielding at full power, she follows Sunburst to a position of cover while Hikari lays out their plan of action...such as it is. Reacting and playing defense – not always a winning proposition, but apparently what they have to work with....

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Pool: 3

    The wall comes down with a shattering crash, bits of light sparkling brightly before fading to nothing in a hail of gunfire. There's screaming, there's always screaming, as civilians dash for cover and the various Guardians move to shield them. Even Snow Fox moves to help despite his sour reception to you all. The gunfire continues though true to Hannya's word it mostly seem for show and to cover the sudden escape of the masked villain and his hostages. White Sparrow is in tow as mentioned along with several more, each shuffled between several well armed and armored soldiers and elementals. The mad dash ends when a large van screams up to the small group, the soldiers shuffling their hostages and Hannya inside. A few of the Junior Guardians are brave though any hope they might have had to get closer meets with a barrage of targeted gunfire.

    More elementals pour from the building in a coordinated fashion, eagerly rushing the biggest threat in the vacinity. That'd be you, intrepid heroes. They ignore the other Guardians and the civilians completly, homing in on Ronin and Tsunami first though a wave of them sweep Lion down the street in a protracted fight. The remaining soldiers aren't far behind, far too sophisticated gunfire aiming to hedge Sunburst in especially and keep Ground Zero grounded. In the distance the van screeches off.

    We're back folks. What do you do?

    Issue Two, much like Issue One of Yami no Yojimbo, comes with an insert. With so many flashbacks, and the gimmick of the first Issue, Yami no Yojimbo continues with a "slot and collect" style of Gaiden stories. The first covers Sunburst, a day before the present conflict.

    Spark of Inspiration

    With Moonshadow striking out on her own and the family generally looking to you as a hero for the city, you’ve found the few weeks between the Monkey Island fiasco and the utter failure at the Riverside clean up effort to be mostly yours to fill. The rest of the team seems busy with their own things so they’re out. Moonshadow is busy with her things, she’s out and the Kintsugi having ominously promised further details of your next session via letter. Never a good sign.

    Lanuola let her phone sink into her lap with a bored sigh. She’d spent the entire morning on her phone, trying to tune out the world around her and let another day slip her by. But… There was only so much mindless phone games she could take, and she didn’t dare try and read the news right now. Restlessness was starting to kick in and, with a faint groan of complaint, she pushed herself to her feet. Looking around her room didn’t give much inspiration for what to do. Rubbing at her temple with one hand, she gave another sigh. Hiding from the world wasn’t going to do anything for her.

    Pulling on a jacket, she sets out of her room and down the stairs. Hoping to be quick enough to evade her family, she pulls her trainers on at the door. Ever since Cindy pulled away from being a hero, it had felt like a lot more scrutiny had been placed onto her. And… She’d rather not face that right now.

    With familial connection successfully avoided, she steps out into the afternoon sun. Opting to avoid the riverside, she instead veers toward the park. Hopefully fresh air and open space would help.

    San Fransapporo is well known for its parks and open air attractions, the Bay District especially known for several amusement parks and tourist attractions. The largest parks are those close to the Sleeping Giant Reserve, the towering grove of ancient redwood trees home to many a meta-human who’d rather be left alone. You’re not going there though. Too open, too eager to keep tourists and locals out if they don't need to be there outside of the obvious tourist traps.

    Sakura Park is a rarity, well within sight of the Hikari Shrine, but rarely frequented even by its parishioners. A good place to go if you want all the amenities of the parks but none of the screaming children and yapping dogs. Well manicured with several flowing rivers and a world famous koi pond near its visitor center. No better place than that. A few eldery are out and about with you this fine afternoon, one even spots you sitting near the ponds. “What’s a nice young lady doing in such a boring old place.” he asks, weathered face creasing into a smile as he approaches. He’s limber still but slim, a well worn cane in hand clacking as he walks closer. You almost seem to recognize him, the name he offers as he extends a hand clicking. “Sangha, and you are?”

    None other than Sangha, the Tiger. An old hero, retired except for the recent events in the Guardians. Most famous, now, for his curio shop in the aptly named Tiger’s Pavillion, the go to shopping plaza downtown. He’s famous, or was. Much like the octogenarians out for a jog, he’s popular in an older crowd.

    Lanuola finds herself unconsciously adjusting her route through the park so that it wended down to the koi pond. She keeps very much to herself as she walks, hands in pockets and head slightly bowed. Despite her closed off demeanour, she does find that she’s beginning to relax somewhat. The open space and lack of responsibilities in the moment letting her mind drift. By the time she reaches the koi pond, there’s a soft smile playing on her face.

    Seating herself, she leans forward slightly, propping her folded arms on her knees as she does.

    "I should’ve brought something to feed the fish…"


    As Sangha approaches her, she initially pays him no mind. There were plenty of others making use of the space, after all. As she’s addressed, however, she straightens up, pulling her jacket a little closer without thinking. The elderly man’s introduction makes her blink in surprise. While he wasn’t as famous as he used to be, it still felt surreal to be approached by a celebrity. Not really knowing how to react, she simply responded on instinct, taking his hand and giving it a shake, “U-umm… Lanuola…” Feeling a touch self-conscious, she adds, “U-umm… I, uh, I don’t think the park’s, uh, boring. It’s, uh, it’s nice to come here to, uh, to get a-away from things.”

    “It’s a pleasure, Lanuola.”
    The older hero offers, moving to sit beside you with a sigh born from creaky joints and a bad back. “I hope you don’t mind if I sit here for a little while. I only get a few chances to get away from my shop. I come here every day for lunch, clear my head.” He’s quick to produce a bag, offering it to you.

    “The shop doesn’t take care of me much, usually just bread crumbs. Here, for the fish.” Most people born in the city know about Sangha’s shop. Most know well enough to stay away from it, at least. The place is, as many in your family have told you, bad news. It sits on ley lines, your Grandmother will often tell you, and has a mind of its own. Sangha doesn’t sell you what you want. The shop only offers what you need and what you need may very well be something you don’t ever want. Best to avoid it and be unprepared, you’ve been told. For now it just seems to cover the lack of things to feed the fish. Not so dangerous after all, is it? Sangha seems content to simply sit in silence, looking out over the park, for a while. Long enough to give a start when he finally speaks.

    “I came here with my daughter, when she was your age.”
    A smile creases the old man’s face, shaky hand pointing out over the pond and to the looming structure of the Hikari Shrine beyond. “Before the trees covered up that ol’eyesore. She’d come here when she needed a think, when she thought she could hide from her old man and her training. What’re you hiding from, Lanuola?”

    Lanuola shakes her head as Sangha asks about sitting down, “No, uh, that’s fine, I don’t mind. Oh, thanks...” She accepts the bag hesitantly off of him at first, then with a grateful smile as the contents are explained. “Thankyou.”

    During the resulting silence, she slowly doles out the crumbs to the fish. Her mind wanders as she does. The presence of the old hero beside her was surprisingly steadying. The stories of Sangha’s shop in particular featured in her thoughts. They’d always struck her as odd. How could getting what you need, even if it’s not what you’d be expecting to get, be a bad thing..? And then… Could it be worth her visiting the shop..? Perhaps she could solve her own problems with whatever was offered to her…

    She starts a bit when Sangha speaks again, glancing back to him, then following his gesture out toward the obscured Hikari Shrine. Her heart sinks and she shrinks into her seat a bit as she’s called on her reasons for being at the park.

    “... I…”
    She shifts uncomfortably, flickers of light starting to form on her skin, “... I-I made, uh, I-I made a-a big mistake… U-umm… I-I broke things and, uh, a-and people got hurt… I… Don’t know what to, uh, what to do to make it right...”

    Sagha gives a long, slow, sigh before reaching to take some breadcrumbs for himself before scattering them out into the water. “Life’s like that.” he starts, glancing over at you before giving a bit of a double take. It’s momentary though noticeable all the same. “Especially when you’ve got powers. No matter where you go. When my girl was your age she got into all sorts of trouble. She’d come home with bruises or villains looking to settle their scores but through it all, all that really mattered, is if she apologized to the people she hurt and tried to do better the next time.”

    Sangha’s face remains set in that stoney, far off stare. The rumors and stories didn’t seem to bare out on the man. The cranky, isolated and inflexible Sangha seemingly left at his store so this reflective and solemn figure could walk a pretty park and feed fish. “It gets easier. It’s hard at first, it hurts and it seems hopeless, but it gets easier. Working on it every day is the hard part. But fixing mistakes gets easier. Sometimes there’s nothing you can do to make it right. People are allowed to be angry, if you hurt them. But they won’t stay hurt forever and if you keep working on not making the same mistake again, things may not go back to the way they were but they’ll get better. It just takes time. Did you apologize to the people you hurt?”

    Lanuola fidgets with her hands, flinching inward a bit as attention is called to her involuntary light show, her skin brightening and flickering further as she winces. Her discomfort subsides somewhat as Sangha relates her own situation to that of his daughter, the light dancing across her skin lessening as she returns to a more muted mood. Her gaze turns pensive as he talks.

    She hugs at her own waist as Sangha continues, talking through the importance of apologies and forgiveness. At his question, she gives a remorseful shake of her head. “... N-no… I-I…” She rubs at her forehead, “I-I just felt so… So out of it when it happened, a-and then…” She hesitates and glances at Sangha, not sure she wants to share the actual scale of the damages she’d caused, “I-I don’t think apologising will solve the problem…”

    “Did you listen to the rest? Aiyaa...teenagers.”
    So maybe the grumpy Sangha isn’t quite so removed from the park. “Then you don’t apologize yet, or never. Sometimes people get angry enough they won’t ever be ready for that. You still have to keep working on it, in your own time.” The old man’s face turns to a deeper frown, eyes knit for a moment before he lets out a sigh.

    “You just get better at being better. You’re young and small, the world is so very old and so very big. You have powers.” He gives you a sideways glance, no chance of hiding it what with the lightshow for sure, before looking back over the park with another sigh. “Powers you can’t control. I don’t need the rest. You blew something up or laser lightshowed someone or whatever. You’re a monster.” His tone slips into the sort of mocking someone much older and experienced can provide. Certainly not mean spirited, probably hurtful all the same. “No one can forgive you, how can you go on.” he continues, slapping his knee with a snort. “So you come out here to this park to hide away, listen to an old man ramble and feed fish. That’s not going to make things right though, is it Lanuola? So you can’t apologize, did your feet stop working? Your hands? How will the people you’ve hurt feel if you just mope around, eh? Think that’ll make them less angry? Less hurt? You’ll get over it, in your own time, no doubt. You seem strong, like so many other young heroes. Skip ahead, what are you going to do when you’re done feeling sad? How are you going to get better? How are you not going to make the same mistake again?”

    Lanuola squirms uncomfortably through Sangha’s short rant, his words provoking the contradictory responses of wanting to refute them, whilst also feeling like he had cut through to the heart of what was bothering her. She starts and gives the old man an almost hurt look as he abruptly gives a snort of laughter.

    She glances back down to the floor, clenching her fists. This time her frustration gets the better of her as she replies, “I don’t know! If I knew I would already have stopped making those mistakes! I’d already be where I need to be.” She looks back up to Sangha, his appearance starting to fuzz as the seeds of tears form in her eyes, “Maybe I should just quit! That might work, right?!” Her voice is raised now, a part of her mind registering that she was casting light on everything nearby. As soon as she does notice, the brightness begins to fluctuate wildly as she stands, “Except it doesn’t solve anything! I still h-have to watch out and be careful in case I vaporize the people I care about!”

    She rounds on Sangha, angry tears now rolling down her face, the light beneath them casting rippling reflections and patterns onto him. “I can’t just not care, because then I’m just another Lightbringer.” The small part of her that wasn’t railing against the world was surprised at the venom she put into the senior hero’s name, “And everyone tells me I should just control it!” She gives a humourless laugh, “Like it’s just that easy! Like I can just watch my friends get hurt and not give it my all to try and help them, save them…”

    The light beneath her skin abruptly disappears, her chest clenched in guilt. Her hands fall to her side, “E-except… E-except I-I can’t even do that…” Though she’s still facing toward Sangha, her eyes are unfocused, “... Soo se taimi lava out te tau ai tagata e afaina ai*...” She stands silently for a few moments, tears leaving near-invisible tracks on her cheeks. Finally, she reaches up to wipe at her eyes with the back of her hand. “... You know… All the rest… They know how to fight… I… I just kinda lean on my powers... “ She wraps her arms around her chest, “... I… I-I think I should j-just stop doing that… F-for a while, at least…”


    *”... Every time I fight people get hurt…”


    Sangha doesn’t seem too phased by the light show, the angry words or really much of anything. The man is old, tired, you’re not the first and probably won’t be the last teen hero venting your frustrations to him though you’re in rare company considering he hasn’t stopped you. He barks a laugh at the end however, giving his knee a slap. Again, not mocking or cruel, simply a sound from one whose probably heard the same rant a dozen times or more. “That’s not how this works, Lanuola. Knowing what you want to do doesn’t stop mistakes, sure as hell makes more if you ask me. It’s a destination, it’s work and you’re going to make mistakes. True that your mistakes are hurting people but that’s what fighting does. It hurts people. Good people, bad people, they’re still just people. You’ve got a good heart, you care and that makes it hurt more. Plenty of people don’t care, and that makes it hurt even worse. For themselves and everyone around them. It makes you nothing like Lightbringer though, she wouldn’t have the wherewithal to consider any of this. So you’re doing better than her even if that’s not a good grade.”

    Sangha slowly stands, groaning sharply with bones creaking. He’s small in the afternoon light, weathered hands reaching out to pat your shoulders gently. “This city is a monster too. You should have been taken in by the Guardians, or the Monsoon at least, shown how to use your powers safely. You’ve fallen through the cracks this political hubbub has caused. Now that it’s too late, they’re all trying to pull you from different sides. Control is an illusion, Lanuola, a bitter one at that. Sometimes to be in the most control, you have to lose it. To escape the illusion and see things as they are. You can’t do that when you’re afraid though, too worried about clinging to the illusion in case someone gets hurt. Someone you care about. I’m just an old man and I’ve been out of this game for a long time, seen a lot of people hurt and lost a lot more people too. I can’t help much but if you come to my shop this weekend we’ll see what we can do about getting you started on learning how to fight. I wake up early though so don’t keep me waiting.”

    Frustration spent, Lanuola’s responses are muted as Sangha reacts to her outburst, though she does wince a little as the elderly hero comments on her comparison between herself and Lightbringer.

    She fidgets as Sangha comments on how she should’ve been taken in by one of the existing hero teams. The thought had never really occurred to her, the idea that someone should’ve taken her under their wing rather than being simply dropped into the care of Kintsugi.

    She gives Sangha a questioning look as he explains his thoughts on control. The point he was making sounded completely contradictory to everything she’d learned. And then she blinks in surprise. “W-wait… You’re, uh, you’re offering to, uh, to train me..? Just like that..?”

    “Hold on now” The old man gives a stern look, wagging a finger at you with an almost wry smile though it doesn’t reach his eyes. “I said we’d see about what we can do. The shop’ll have something for you. Hopefully. I’ve got connections, we’ll see what we’ve got in the morning. Don’t get your hopes up.”

    Lanuola hesitates, then gives a grateful nod. “I, uh, thanks. I’ll, uh, I’ll make sure I’m there. Umm… Thankyou for, uh, for listening, too. I, uh, I hope you have a good day.”

    After another moment of hesitation, she offers out her hand for a shake and, on receiving it, turns to head home.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-03-04 at 08:40 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions:
    Potential: 1/5
    Gadget: 2

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X]White lies: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they are your role model as a hero, roll + Savior instead of + Mundane. On any hit, if they open up to you, take Influence over them.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.
    • [X] Damage: You get an additional condition called Damaged. While marked, take +1 to take a powerful blow. To clear the Damaged condition, you need time, external help, or special equipment or abilities.


    As the Steel Elementals pour out of the building in a wave of shining, bladed limbs and undisguised aggression, Ronin can't help but be susceptible to the sharp tugs of guilt; if she had been a little better at playing the word game with their opposition, perhaps things wouldn't have come to this. Now people were like to get hurt – her friends were likely to get hurt.

    No. Not today.

    "あなたが来た地獄に戻ってください!" she cries, kicking in the EMDrive and launching herself forward. Cutting across the path of the Elementals charging at her to keep their attention, she plows through the group heading towards Tsunami, disrupting their movement and most likely focusing their attention upon her.

    Not as crazy an action as it might initially seem; Steel Elementals aren't likely to be throwing fire or other types of energy about, and her kinetic shielding is both designed to absorb merely physical attacks, and shunt that energy into her kinetic lance.

    She needs a power up – they're going to give it to her. Assuming they don't manage to overload the shielding and just...tear her apart, that is. Regardless, Tsunami has been saved from that initial onslaught, and something clenched hard inside her eases off with that comforting fact.




    Spoiler: CRUNCH
    Show
    Defend Tsunami from the Elementals: 10
    Clearing Guilty

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Hopeless
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    0

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

    Moves

    Wish I could be - When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll +Freak instead of +Mundane.

    Unstoppable - When you smash your way through scenery to get to or get away from something, roll +Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition, leave something behind, or take something with you. On a miss, you smash through, but leave devestation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM's choice.


    Lanuola flinches back as the gunfire rips toward her, recoiling further back behind the wall she was sheltering behind. Belatedly, she realises that the gunfire was also keeping Kai from making easy progress. With the hostages beginning to escape, he would be way better at trying to catch them than she would. A risky plan began to form and, after a quick glance around the corner she was sheltered behind, she called out to her friend. "KAI! I'm gonna give you a chance to get after them!"

    She takes a few quick breaths, hyping herself up before she could change her mind. Her fists clench, light emanating from within them. Closing her eyes and tensing, she listened to the continued sound of guns. There's a brief fall in the volume of fire, and then she steps out. A wide panel shows her fully illuminated, arms outflung and a wordless yell issuing forth as she throws out brilliant beams of light. Far from the raw and angry outbursts of past fights, these beams are far more diffuse. Intended to blind, to shock and awe, not to destroy. Heart pounding in her chest, Sunburst desperately hoped they'd give Kai the opening he needed to escape after the fleeing hostages.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Rolled a 10 to direct engage via. Reality Storm in discord, spending 2 burn to do so. Will be Surprising/Frightening the opposition (not sure if I get to choose, if I do, I'll go with Surprising), and creating an opportunity for my allies.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2020-03-09 at 04:35 PM.



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Hikari
    Conditions: Angry
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: +3
    • Savior: -2
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Devil or Angel on My Shoulder: When you provoke a teammate to violent action or drastic measures as your Hero Persona, roll with your Alias Label. When you discourage a teammate from going overboard or making an action they can’t take back as your Alias Persona, roll + your Hero Label.
    • [X]Save the Light: When you step in to intervene, help a civilian, or stop a threat roll + your Hero label. On a miss, you’re made to look the fool. Mark a Condition and give ground. On a hit, you’ve got someone’s attention. Use it as an opportunity or provoke them to action. On a 10+ your foe must respond in kind or flee.
    • [X]Captain: When you enter battle as a team, add an extra Team to the pool and carry +1 forward if you are the leader.
    • [X]Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.


    Hikari grits her teeth as the sound of gunfire fills the air and steel elementals fill up the ground. They had a plan, but would it hold? Jin taught her that no plan survives contact with the enemy. Koto-sensei would say no enemy should survive contact with the plan.

    She needn't have worried. Immediately, her team springs into action. Ronin takes on the full squad of steel elementals and Sunburst dazzles the shooters, keeping heat off of Ground Zero and Tsunami. Lion is on his own, but he's always been able to handle himself. Even Snow Fox and the Guardians were playing there part, seeing to the civilians. There was only one thing left to do - pursue the van! She darts back through the crowd of civilians to where she'd parked Sakura, giving her next set of orders as she does.

    "Here we go! Tsunami, I want those drones in the air as fast as you can get them. Ground Zero, you're with me. You go high, I'll go low. Let's make miracles happen, people! Go, go, go!"

    Revving Sakura's engine, she throws the motorcycle into gear and speeds off down the street like a rocket.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled a whopping 14 in the Discord to provoke Ground Zero into joining Hikari in chasing the van, using Devil or Angel on My Shoulder to roll with Danger instead of Superior. If he goes along with the plan, he adds a Team to the pool. If he doesn't, he marks a condition.

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ground Zero
    Conditions: Guilty, Insecure
    Potential: 3/5


    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    Freak: +0
    Danger: +3
    Savior: -2
    Superior: +2
    Mundane:-1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    In a China Shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
    Physics? What physics: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.
    The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
    - What are they up to?
    - What or who do they most care about?
    - What allies do they have? Enemies?
    - Where and when can I find them?
    - How could I make them vulnerable to me?
    On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.


    The world explodes into action around GZ as high powered gunfire rains down around him, and Lion disappears from in front of him, swept away by elementals. The next instant, his team is reacting. Out of the corner of his eye he sees Ronin charge the elementals, and from behind him, Sunburst calls out before beams of light shoot past and the gunfire keeping him focused on defence relents.

    Over all the chaos he hears Hikari's orders "You go high."

    In a heartbeat he's flying among the rooftops with a birds eye view of the scene. From up there he can see Hikari chasing the van on her bike, and starts his own pursuit from above.

    "Thanks for the opening Lan," he says over the comms. "And about time you started giving some proper orders Hikari. How do we want to do this? I can come down on them like a meteor, stand in front of them and let the van crash into me, pick the van up and fly off with it, or I could tear up the road to cut off some of their options."

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Specialist's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    The Surface of the Sun

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Tsunami
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 3/5
    Gadget: 1
    Hold: 3

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Fireside Chat: When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.
    • [X]Before We Get Started: When you take the time to closely observe your opposition before a battle, roll + Savior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1 and mark a condition. During battle, you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to name a character you observed and...:
      • ...redirect their attack to another character or nowhere—into a wall or the sky.
      • ...cross a distance between them and you.
      • ...disarm them.
      • ...ignore all harm to yourself from one of their attacks.
      • ...escape any bindings or restrictions they attempt to place on you.


    “You’ll have eyes in 3....2....”

    A feed pops up in their shared app, showing a high angled street view, rapidly moving. As it whips around a corner, data begins to be added to the UI, a targeting square fixing over the van. A generic marker is added to their usual map as well, updating the position of the van.

    “...and 1.”

    A set of drones tear after the escape vehicle, keeping a steep enough angle above it not to be immediately or at least easily visible from those inside. If they notice them and want to take pot shots, they’re going to have to lean out and expose themselves, is the idea. They’ve come in high over the buildings to try and avoid being immediately sighted in any event, and arriving just amidst the chaos of the escape hopefully has aided in them going unnoticed, yet.

    Lifting his kanabō, he finds himself not needing to swing it as his armoured team mate crashes into them in an impressive display of timing and force.

    “Thanks, Miho. I’m leaving this to you and Lan. I’ve been owing Hannya a second a**kicking.” He grumbles as he jets into the air.

    “As much as I’d love to see the looks on their faces witnessing a GZ meteor and traffic stop...” And it does sound like he would like to see that, “...that might chance the ‘no casualties’ bit. Doubt they gave hostages seatbelts. Redirecting them somehow could be good, if we can do it without too big of a repair bill on the infrastructure... Anywhere less populated near at hand?”

    Max begins to jet alongside the building tops, kicking off of them now and then for a more rapid adjustment in angle, soon catching up to Hikari down below.

    “On your nine o’clock high, Hikari. Drones are equipped with a stun-net and stun guns. Haven’t had time to field test them, but let me know if you want them used. Also, Hannya and I might have some unfinished business, and I get the feeling he remembers me, so if either of you want to use me as bait at all to draw his fire, I’m willing.”

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Pool: 4


    Sunburst and Ground Zero

    The lightshow has an immediate effect, the soldiers falling back and filling into a defensive formation. Scared isn't the right word for it, the reaction time too fast...too trained...like they're used to fighting metahumans...cautious? On guard? Like they won't take you lightly once they recover...that's more accurate. Probably not a great feeling either as more fire from inside the building to try and push you back as well. Either way, what could have been quite a bad situation with armed and trained combatants on ground level has subsided. For now.

    You see all this from your high vantage point Ground Zero, as well as Tsunami's drones zipping off after the van which you seem intent to follow spurred on by Hikari's words. Caution seems to be the consensus but the van's right there. You could take it out easily, damage be damned.

    Ronin

    Elementals aren't much to you and your armor, razor sharp fingers clanging off your metal frame as you step in to take the brunt of their assault. That seems to give Tsunami enough time to jet off, literally, in a cloud of steam. The rest of the Guardians aren't so lucky, quickly finding themselves overrun. While there may be no love lost between you and Snow Fox he seems to have it the worst. Not even his own fellow Junior Guardians doing much to assist in the conflict as the civilians swarm as far and fast away as they can.

    Of course there's also Sunburst, on her own. The light show might well have bought you and her some time but with Ground Zero taking off in pursuit it's really just the two of you now and no real telling when the armed forces will surge again. Or worse, go back into the building with the hostages. You've got a choice, you can't help both. Do you trust that Sunburst can handle this on her own? Do you just not care that much for Snow Fox you're going to risk him getting hurt? It's up to you. What do you do?

    Hikari and Tsunami

    The streets are cluttered as you weave through them on your bike Hikari, angry honks sounding as you zip between cars and trucks and the tram as it runs alongside your pursuit. More figures are quick to join you in the air, clearly the official Guardians that had been waiting in the wing finally making their move. Hannya's van seems to not really care they're much larger than you, pushing cars out of the way with loud crunches as they try to make their get away.

    Tsunami's drones, and the hero himself, are soon to join as well. The van does its best to shake the automated robots to no avail and Tsunami's hopes are soon delivered upon though perhaps not quite the way he was hoping. One of the doors to the van slides open before falling into a platform of sorts. This of course hinders the van's ability to dodge around however serves as a perfectly good spot for one of the armed members of Hannya's team to step out and strap in before a large cannon like weapon is handed from inside. Moments later a powerful beam of energy lances the road ahead of you all, the street exploding in debris as they try to cut your approach short. What do you do?

    Graveyard Shift: Gaiden Two


    The job you were given wasn’t a simple one. Jin expected results, without question but this? Traveling to the ruins of Karakuri town? You knew the risks even before he asked you to go. Ghosts, and worse, lived in what was Karakuri Town, a sunken husk of hope for Bear Island and the wider city of San Fransapporo.

    The boat ride over wasn’t hard to procure, for you. Few would take heroes to the remains of Karakuri. Fewer still would wait for you but this woman seemed fearless and more than eager to assist a member of the Weather Report (name her). So with her small boat you traveled across a stormy sea, the mad captain laughing at the surf and salt and storm until you found refuge in what would have been the sprawling docks of the once promised city.

    Like the rest of it, the docks of Karakuri are bleak and well beyond ill-repair. The portions of the city that are above water are overgrown and decaying. Billboards with 80’s aesthetic are peeling and discolored, tall buildings have large chunks taken out of them as if a monster had taken them for lunch, the smell of fetid water hangs in the air and the unmistakable presence of someone watching you lingers. Your captain ties her boat to the dock and you’re off.

    Asphalt streets are broken, disheveled like a giant had flicked its bedsheets up in a hurry. Small trees poke from these shattered roads, moss and lichen grow on most surfaces turning every step into a possible twisted knee. The presence only grows stronger the deeper you go. You are here for a mission. To find the lance of Stormsoul. Where do you begin?


    Hikari wanders into Karakuri town, the mad captain cackling behind her. Probably just trying to scare her. Of course Hikari had heard stories about the tragedy that befell Karakuri Town. Scraps of what happened, bits and pieces. People didn’t talk about it much, and Jin
    did, so it was difficult to get any real sense of it. A bad thing happened. People died. The city moved on. Anything more than that was just ghost stories.

    When Hikari comes upon the city itself, it gives her pause.
    What had once been a bastion of modern civilization now lies crumbling, slowly being reclaimed by nature. The scene is laid out before her in full sunlight, all the signs of superpowered struggle. Cratered pavement, demolished buildings, debris. But in San Fransapporo, the damage gets fixed in days, a week at most. But this place was...forsaken. Trees growing up through cracked concrete, waterfalls and streams from long-broken water mains, moss and ivy ensnaring whole buildings. Karakuri Town was like the Monsoon’s dark reflection. Nature and artifice in disharmony, locked in a struggle that nature would surely win, given time.

    Her bold steps are tamed by the thick undergrowth, forcing her to trudge and fight for footing and purchase every step of the way. She’d always pictured Karakuri Town as, well, a town. Quaint, one-storey buildings and wooden fence posts or something. Instead, it’s a tangled labyrinth of glass, steel, and vegetation, sprawling out in every direction. Stormsoul couldn’t have chosen a better place for his spear. Traversing even a single block takes over ten painstaking minutes, and before long, Hikari has had enough. There was no way she was going to find it just digging through rubble. There has to be a better way. The spear was no ordinary weapon, and it would not be found through ordinary means.

    Closing her eyes, Hikari pulls out a long strip of cloth from a pocket, tying it around her head like a blindfold. She slows her breathing, filtering out the impressions from her natural senses, and enters the Void Mind.

    Jin’s technique, or the way he showed you, has always been a way to look through the world without your own senses gumming up the works. To remove yourself from the world and see it for how it is, plain and stark and free of bias. You’ve seen testing rooms and busy streets but Jin’s never taken you even as far as the Reserve to try it out. He’d say something about how it was too busy for your new sense. Too loud, too chaotic with everything living and growing. You weren’t ready.
    That wasn’t a problem here. To be sure there was life here, the plants made their slow march in retaking what was always theirs. You could feel the slick moss beneath you, hear it in ways you otherwise couldn’t without the Void Mind but only because there isn’t anything else here to listen to. No life. Karakuri Town was well and truly dead, the wild animals that made Bear Island home leaving it just the way humans did. To rot, to be reclaimed, to be a scar on an otherwise beautiful island.

    You can sense something else though, a power beneath your feet. Pulsing like a beating heart, screaming to be found. It was well known that Karakuri Town was to have their own Underrail network, its own shops and parking garages and all the other things a modern city has beneath its glittering facade. A perfect place to hide a spear. If that is what you’re sensing that is. Who knows what else might be here in Karakuri Town where nothing dares tread.


    Focusing in on that pulsing energy, Hikari pushes outward, trying to feel the path. It’s no good. The cavernous tunnels and the city’s hollowed-out underbelly are still too dead and empty to get a clear picture of where the spear might be. But it’s down, that much is certain.

    Picking her way across the urban junglescape. Hikari finds that the nearest entrance to the Underrail is caved in, useless, but not far off she finds a shopping plaza where something cracked open the ground, exposing jagged and uneven layers below. Climbing down vines and clambering down pipes and rebar mesh, leaping back and forth across the chasm, she makes her way into the subterranean layer to the rail tunnels below.

    Standing before the yawning mouth, down the throat that stretches back into darkness, Hikari falters for a moment. Remembering Jin’s words about her second objective, she shudders. Giving rest to the dead. Ghosts. Surely he’d meant it figuratively, that finding the spear and removing its corrupting influence from the island would give those who perished in the cataclysm final peace. As she plunged into the darkness, leaving the safe and knowable world of light behind her, Hikari wasn’t so sure.


    The touch of decay and the growth of new life has touched the subterranean realm beneath Karakuri Town. Water has made its way down the many flights of stairs leading to the Underrail, debris creating artificial rivers that one day may well become natural rivers in their own right. Vines and moss have invaded the gloom as well, some casting their own ghostly light though mostly just making your travels harder until you reach the bottom. The Black Tortoise Way, the Underrail, call it what you will.

    You’ve had chances to see it back on the mainland as a member of A Banditry, the Underrail more than just an underground transit system. Each loading bay is its own small street corner with shops and accommodations for busy heroes who might not have a chance to shop or run errands above. Some lights still run, whatever power source far from the normal electrical systems which are long since shot. The trams here, at least, are empty but the all too familiar sense that you’re being watched. You know by what, even if it’s hard to face.

    Ghostly wisps flit through your Void Mind. Echoes of tragedy, not even sentient. Here below the earth, in the darkness buried and forgotten, the tragedy is fresh. Businessmen who’ve long since sold themselves to the hero system embark on loud trams, their bells and chimes echoing off dark marble. Flits of faces, masked and otherwise, pass you by. For you, the tragedy at Karakuri Town is a history lesson, decades old but never forgotten. An enduring truth that helps prop the Warlord System up. Karakuri Town is what happens when villains aren’t regulated. Karakuri Town is what happens when you let villains do whatever they want, unopposed by their own number. But to these not-ghosts, the events that plunged their homes into the Pacific play out day after day and none are aware enough to lament.

    That doesn’t mean that all of the dead here in Karakuri Town are similar. The hungry dead roam, twisted abominations, and hunger for the energy of the living. You’ve heard the news reports of daring urban explorers taking the chance of a lifetime, to explore Karakuri Town. You’ve seen the results, those same explorers returning to shore half mad and half alive speaking of the unthinkable. Now that you’re here, you can see why. The madness is almost palpable, like it could get stuck in your teeth, the magical energies course through the air and pervade the world around you with its perverted touch. It pulses in time with what you felt above, a dull aching throb. Thump. Pause. Thump. Pause. Thump. The air moves in this rhythm, gusts screaming down the empty tram lines.

    Then you see her. She’s tall, elegant and translucent, flowing black hair and a hero outfit you can’t ever recall seeing. She’s beautiful even now, serene as she stands at the end of the platform. You see her clearly with your own eyes and with the Void Mind and perhaps worst of all, she sees you. A tense moment passes and then the spirit is off, off towards the source of that terrible energy.

    Hikari stands on the platform, a single living person among the...others. There was no denying what they were. Invisible to her eyes, but unmissable in the Void Mind. They weren’t indistinct parcels of spiritual energy. Each one was as detailed and unique as a soldier in the terracotta army of old. These are the lost souls of Karakuri Town. The ones she was here to put to rest.

    Her heart pounds in time with the pulsing from the energy source.The others don’t notice her as they go about their eternal business. The Void Mind is like a series of soap bubbles, their edges pressed against one another but distinct and separate. One might reach out, blend bubbles to put one of many of Jin’s long lectures into the crudest of analogies, but to what end? She goes back to not noticing them, too. She wants to close herself off from the Void Mind, to retreat into the safety of ignorance, protected from the creeping madness but the bubbles would remain.

    But then another appears at the other end of the platform. She’s there, in both worlds. Even if she closed the Void Mind, there could be no escaping this one. Hikari finds her eyes drawn to the woman’s. Her mind reels back at the contact, primordial instincts threatening to take over. She reaches for her sword hilt, gripping it tightly. There is something unsettling in how unfamiliar the woman is. Like she should be recognizable, but isn’t. Like there’s something blocking her. The dark of the tunnels press in, a buzz in her ear growing louder, the confines of the walls growing ever closer the more her mind tried to process it. It was as if the world itself rose to combat her.

    Then, a moment later, the woman is gone, off down the tunnel. Without even allowing herself to stop and think, Hikari follows after, as quickly as she can, outrunning the fear of what must come next.


    The tracks have long since rusted, jagged fingers of steel jutting along a cluttered rail line. The ghost or phantom or spirit or whatever you might call it is not impeded but just as above, so below, the going is tricky even for a well trained member of the Weather Report. Ghostly laughter echoes across tiled tunnel rooves, the sounds of long gone trams clang and ring and buzz around you as lights dance along long abandoned trappings of civilization. The comforts of the dead you left at the station are gone, those caught in a fog of their own unlife are a lifetime ago. The deeper you travel after the spectral woman, the further into the realm your mentor warned you of. Demon infested. The electricity has long since abandoned this place with saner minds, the gleeful winds bluster and blow harder the deeper you delve down the tunnels.

    The madness, too. You’re on the right path, the ghost ahead leading you ever further into the dark. What was a mere feeling has become part of the very world you travel. The tunnels seem to almost heave with each pulse of that terrible energy, shuddering to a stop with each pause only to rattle and pitch with its next haggard pulse. You can feel it on your skin as plain as the growing humidity as it seeks to soak into you, into your clothing and into your very being. Rivulets of water run down buckling walls, pools forming dangerous pits for your feet to catch in.

    In the darkness, you are not alone. You’ve felt them for a while, how long have you been running down this stretch of track? Your guide pays them no mind, but they are all but homed in on you. They flit across your Void Mind, claws and teeth inching further and further into your senses until it all comes to a sudden and violent halt.

    The tunnel ends and the Hungry Dead attack. You’ve come to the final station, a pile of trams slammed against a towering wall as if pushed by some uncaring hand, stand in a heap before the final platform. Your guide darts across them and into the platform beyond. You won’t have such an easy time.

    They were human once, these spirits, but time and torment has warped them into something beyond saving. They are mostly mouth, distended knife filled maws from cheek to knee slathering for anything they can close around. Arms and legs atrophied to sticks albeit tipped with grasping tentacle light fingers each lined with yet more razor sharp teeth barely capable of movement, whatever unliving vigor all they have keeping them going. They’re not even capable of speech, sucking and wet screams all their body sized gullets good for. Like Elementals they feed on a living being’s emotions. Unlike Elementals they feed on the rest of the living being too. It’s rare for them to come in more than a dozen, aggressive even towards similarly pitiable beings, but you’ve attracted a swarm. Twenty, maybe thirty, spill down the tunnel towards you, sharp claws cutting at one another and driving the mass into a frenzy. A single one would be no danger, even a dozen would probably do little to cause you harm. This is something else entirely.

    This is not good. Behind her, a tunnel full of slavering spirits. In front of her, a canyon of concrete and rusted steel. Practically a killing field. She had felt their presence every step of the way, growing in strength and number as she drew closer to the spear. These things had been following her, and would continue to follow if she didn’t put an end to it now. The mouth of the tunnel isn’t narrow, but it’s the closest thing she has to a chokepoint. The little voice inside her head simmers with panic, but she keeps a lid on it as best she can. Standing still in the mouth of the tunnel, she closes her eyes and pushes the panic away, emptying her mind again, reinforcing her Void Mind. The hungry maws draw closer every moment. She only has 1 second...2...3! Her eyes flash open, and she draws her sword in one lightning-fast motion, the blade cutting through the first rank of the mob as cleanly as if it were cutting air.


    In an instant, they’re on you. Panels show the whizzing blade connect with the first of many in the horde and then...simply slide right through. The Void Mind ripples, a tremor throughout your sphere as your weapon phases through them.

    Jin had warned you, had offered you one of many tools in the Weather Report’s arsenal, but here you are. Deep beneath a blighted place, swarmed by ghosts and you can see it as plain as day through the Void Mind. These things are more than mere elementals, more than the quiet dead that wander the vacant and crumbling halls you traversed through to finally end up here. They are the fear, the dread, the greed, the envy, the hatred of a buried and forgotten multitude. They hunger in ways you’ve never experienced but you can feel it now, pressing close to you with the stench of sweat and decay, musty and moldy and rotten. You can feel their sucker and barb tipped fingers press in upon you, draining you of what they need most.

    Your hate, your longing, your need for someone...anyone...to just accept you. Images of your first training sessions with Jin flash before your eyes as the Hungry Ghosts call for them unbidden, you see through the Void Mind like you saw the ghosts before how it plays out. The more they feed, the longer you stay here, the weaker you can feel yourself. The more they draw from you, from the memories of your family, seeing them taken from you. You see the face of their killer, lurking there in the shadows just on the edge of the bubble. You feel his hunger, his desires for you just as strongly as you feel the Hungry Ghosts. His hate pulses with that terrible beat, looming larger with each passing moment.

    You have to flee, you can feel that too. Animal and independent from any rational thought. If you can’t run, you’ll die here. You’ll join these dead, no one will come looking for you. No one would dare walk where you’ve walked.


    The voice erupts in desperation as she swings her sword frantically. Her strokes lack any form or technique, driven only by animal fear, and makes no difference either way as it passes through the hungry maws each time without ever landing a blow. And each time she feels it as if she were taking the blow, her Void Mind shuddering from the assault.

    Finally, the fear moves her, and she bolts out of the tunnel. In her fear-choked mind, reality has become distorted. The walls on either side of the track now loom above her like a canyon. Frantically, she bounds toward the trams at the far end, scrabbling her way up them, scraping her hands on the rusted metal handholds. Throwing herself over the top, she crawls onto the platform and rolls over, laying on her back with her chest heaving. In the pit below, the maws are collecting, filling the space with a roiling, writhing mass of spirit.

    Getting a hold of herself, Hikari pitches to her feet, looking for the woman like the proverbial white rabbit. The pulsing continues unabated, seeming to match the quickened beat of her heart. She must be close. She almost can’t bear to go forward, but there’s no way she can go back. There is only one path - deeper still into the hellpit belly of damned Karakuri Town.

    Before you a tunnel, long and sinuous with broken stairs to where you do not know. Beneath the spirits mill in a feeding frenzy as they devour their kindred like a school of piranha over a cow leg. That will keep them only so long and then the survivors will be upon you once more. Stronger. More hungry. Your guide, the graceful and beautiful woman, stands in stark contrast to the monsters you barely escaped from though she offers little calm to your frazzled mind. Her presence pulses with the same beat, mournful longing, regret, fear. Then she’s gone up the stairs, drifting through the rubble that breaks your stride.

    You can sense her over the rest of the milling emotions all the same as you follow. Rivers of water stream down cracked walls once more as you climb and the verdant tendrils of moss return. As before they choke your passage, impediments to the swirling starving hunger that once more swells beneath your feet. The Dead are coming once more. Faster you climb, desperate and frenzied in your own terror, scraped and cut and bruised you eject from the long tunnel into a clearing. If it were anywhere but Karakuri Town you might think it beautiful. Some bygone tower has sunk beneath the ground, its smooth walls cracked and split by roots. Waterfalls fall all along its edge, pooling into a lake only up to your waist once you splash down into it. Your exit sits ten feet above you at least, the hard fall kicking clear and clean water into your filthy face.

    The room is alight for above you, there is only sky and the sound of waves. An island of debris and dirt sits at the center of this strange place, trees having taken root though twisted like claws towards the sky. There is no peace to be found here, here at the heart of that dreadful beating. It takes no time to spot, moonlight filtering from above. There, caught between the trees, two twisted bodies locked in combat, skeletal and gaunt, and pieced between through them...the Lance.

    As she spills out of the dead rail tunnel into the water, she flails around from the sudden shock before figuring out that the water is only waist-deep. The scene around her is surreal, but she takes none of it in. The woman is nowhere to be found, but the awful, dreadful source of Karakuri Town’s beating heart sits just ahead on an island of broken concrete and rebar and construction refuse, thrust between what she’s desperately telling herself are two statues. All she has to do is get to it and get the hell out and get back to the Weather Station and take a long hot shower and scrub away the memories until her skin is raw and slug back some sake or plum wine or whatever and never ever come back here or talk about here or think about here ever again.

    She pushes through the water as hard and as fast as she can, both swords drawn because in this awful, dreadful place even the statues were liable to attack her, as if it even mattered because her swords probably wouldn’t do anything anyway because she’s a stupid, cocky, headstrong girl who should have listened to Jin and who shouldn’t have been so weak or flawed or pathetic that Chidori and Honoo rejected her and who should have been stronger or smarter to save her parents instead of sitting uselessly in the backseat while they were murdered in front of her eyes and who should have been important enough to at least get killed along with them instead of a pitiful afterthought who had to be rescued and coddled by Jin and who shouldn’t be so useless after all his training and wisdom and who should have listened!

    They’re not statues. That much is clear once you’ve left the water for the shaky foundation of the island. They’re not human either, not anymore of course. Two long desiccated corpses locked in eternal combat. Any markings have long since decayed away as to who they were or how the Lance returned to such a position. But here and now, so close to it, you can feel its weight not just as a pulse in the air but a pulse inside you. Running deep, pressing into your heart and mind, the shivers in your body, your own heart beat, syncing with it. With that oppressive weight. The world around you trembles with it too, the water shuddering and splashing. Filling the air with mist until you can no longer see the walls. Until it is simply you and the island and the Lance.

    “Is this what you were looking for?” A voice meeting the cadence of that awful beat behind you. The woman that brought you here dressed in whites and reds, youthful but vacant. A ghost.


    More than a heartbeat, it feels like her whole being is pounding in time with the awful, dreadful thing. Tears she can’t even feel spill from her eyes as the whole of the rest of the world is blocked out by its presence and her proximity. As she pushes her arm out reaching toward it she feels a clawing feeling inside her welling trying to escape, like she want to reach up and grab herself on either side of her head and rip herself in two. Even her Void Mind judders and pulses with every beat, fraying and splintering and threatening to explode into a million shards and -

    That voice. It comes from behind hear, but somehow it feels so much further away. For a moment it’s like a soft little light pushing back against the darkness, a teeny reprieve from the madness. Her arm still outstretched, Hikari cranes her head around to lay eyes on the woman with the voice of a memory that nobody could have. Tears still hot and wet on her cheeks, her voice is weak and tremulous as she responds. “Y-you know it is!”


    “Then take it.” The ghost mocks, ethereal hand motioning to the Lance. “You’ve found it, the prize awaits. What holds you back? Take it and flee this place.”

    Were it that easy? The Lance thrums in time with itself, a cascading resonance that distorts its form. Pops and flashes skitter down its length, a static film coats not only the weapon but the two forms caught between it.

    “You came for something more, something you can’t find here. Something you won’t get when you leave. Who is it that stands so tall in your mind? A hero that isn’t yourself.” The ghost moves with the same static distortion, it’s image leaping and jumping with every step in reflections of past events. After images fall to their knees, leap across the mist covered walls, fall as if struck by a mighty force. A tinny whine peaks, trilling through the air as the image settles.

    “There’s no escaping here, you’ll carry it with you.”


    No longer capable of blocking it all out, the images and their psychic weight simply wash over Hikari, and there’s nothing she can do but press on toward her goal. Hikari’s arm feels like it’s pushing through a solid mass as she makes torturous progress toward grasping the spear. Nearly there, she tries to take it, only to find her hand is almost a foot off to the side of it. There’s no disbelief left in her world, just despair, and she turns again back to the voice, soothing even as it mocks her.

    “Wh-what can I do? It has to end! What other way is there?”


    “Cast it aside. Holding on to the past only clouds your mind. It feeds on it, the way out muddles. Or embrace it, make it your own and with all that pain take what you came for.” The ghost watches you in your futile attempt, tone mocking as its image grows black, like ink through a napkin. “Even then, you’ll carry it with you. This place is a stain and you’re part of it now. Hikari, apprentice of Jin. Part of the spell that keeps the world asleep. Decide, the walls are closing. You feel it, don’t you? Since you reached our shores. Your parents. Your disappointment. It feeds on you. The choice is hard but must be made. Hurry now. Before you join the rest. Another ghost, another memory.”


    Tears can’t help her here. Swords can’t help her here. Not Jin, not the Void Mind, not her parents. Not even death. It was too late for her, she was too deep into this awful, dreadful thing. There was no walking away from it now, and to leave empty-handed would make it all for nothing. All this sacrifice, and nothing to show for it but Jin’s disappointment. The world was asleep. It wouldn’t remember her if she failed now. She would be no more than the woman, the memory who wasn’t. There was no choice.

    Her head bowed, a portrait not of triumph but of doomed resignation, Hikari grabs the spear.

    The moment your fingers touch the spear the pulsing heart beat stops. The world goes silent and motionless. Dark as all light leeches from the misty walls and the moonlight streaming down from on high. The darkness is like a torrential flood, sweeping in on you and the ghost and the spear. It sweeps away the bodies, exploding into dust even as the Lance bucks and shivers in your hands like some wild beast.

    “The choice is made. We’ll see each other again Hikari.”
    The ghost is the last thing to be drowned out by the darkness, simply fading into it as its own black crawls up its form. The Lance continues its wild attempts to be free, lightning and thunder rolling in your hands even as the darkness moves to claim it as well. In that darkness it casts a shadow, long and sinuous like some vast serpent but this too is fleeting. The presence of the Storm King is nothing compared to the dark.

    The black spirals about the weapon, winds around you with a midnight embrace and when the light returns you are on the island. It’s not the same as before, least of which are the missing bodies and ghost guide, but beyond that the world is cloaked in shadow. You can feel the ghosts once more, out there in the gloom. Not merely the hungry variety either, larger bodies drift through the shadows and an almost electric glee pulses in your fingers. Not from the Lance, it has long gone silent. No, from the long strip of cloth that wraps about it. A different hunger, a different pulse, one that still matches your own heartbeat.

    As she grabs the spear, Hikari senses somewhere deep in her soul that it was the wrong choice. But she senses just as well that there was no right choice. The Darkness crashes over her, envelops her, drowns her, and whatever was left of her Void Mind well and truly shatters.

    When the world returns, it isn’t the same as before. She’s broken through to the other side. The panels are colored in photonegative, the sun shining black light down from above. Black phantasms are picked out against the cloudy white darkness that cuts off the island from the world. The only color is a ribbon of red wrapped around the white spear.

    Even as she notices the ghost woman’s absence, it feels like a foreign thought. She won’t remember the woman once she escapes this place. If she were luckier, she wouldn’t remember any of this crucible. The thought sends a shiver down her spine.

    She’s near the beach, but wherever the docks and her boat are, they lie beyond the impenetrable cloud of white darkness. And those things are out there too, between her and her way home. The hungry maws, even more than she’d left behind in the tunnel. And other things too. She would have to go through them. She shivers again.

    Carrying the spear, now wrapped in cloth, she makes her way toward that barrier. Toward the ghosts. Their presence is oppressive, needling her psyche. Her spirit is undefended, the broken armor of her Void Mind left discarded in an unremembered sunken tower that she can never forget. Last time, she had armor, but no weapon. Now there is no armor. But there is a weapon.

    The assault is much like before, the ghosts swarming you in waves. The larger ones, their forms still muddy and dark, are wise enough to fear what you hold in your hand. Wise enough to let the weaker ones wear you down. The spear, the Lance, cuts through them like butter even as they strike against you. Piece by piece you feel them drain you but unlike before the numbers thin. You can feel what Stormsoul has undoubtedly felt in this place, the power and the madness that infects the very soil of the town even if it’s muted under the cloth. You can feel the ghosts ebb, not merely struck down to reform, their passage loud as they wail in despair as the final death takes them.

    But that lasts for only a moment as the larger figures finally make their move. Towering beasts, their skin made of the midnight, claws as sharp as any sword. Their legs meld into the dark, a part of it, their presence in the Void Mind like monoliths. There’s more to them, amaglations of not only the dead but their hatred and fury. Spectres of the Will of Karakuri Town. The Lance and the Silk cut through them just as easily as the rest, light revealed in their wounds as color splashes in the photonegative pages. Glimpses of what lays beyond, some sanity in such a loathsome place. Beaten, the ghosts redouble. Merge. Draw in the darkness and with it the cloth sings. Not the terrible song of remorse that seeks to quell its voice beneath, a song of victory. A song of your loss and the Dark itself, triumphant. You can feel it as the beast looms larger, six large eyes gleaming down upon you. Your memories of the young lady are already gone, your memories of the island in the sunken tower, of the bodies blown away like dust. Of a small man, terrified, in the rubble of the city. Not one you saw, a memory that isn’t yours and lost to time. The creature bellows, surging forth for one last attempt to drown you in that slumber.


    Her Void Mind too feeble and broken to offer any protection, Hikari can’t let herself pass out of it. In her state, in this place, she would never be able to return to it. And once gone, her perception of these horrors would be lost as well and she would be nothing but a defenseless doll of a girl, exposed to the invisible and unassailable horrors of Karakuri Town. She has no choice but to endure the needles and the slashes and the bites of the hungry maws as they try to devour her.

    But now she can fight back. The Lance bucks and jumps in her hands like living lightning, wielding her as much as she wields it. Finding something akin to strength in this new place beyond fear and death, she whirls with the spear in hand and the maws explode into shreds whenever she stabs at them. They leave their spiritual contagion on her, every blow she takes showing on her body, scratches and bites and gashes of white maring her black flesh. With each one she grants final death, she feels the Darkness growing stronger, stoking a cold fire within her. The maws look more and more like her parents’ killer and she feeds the Darkness with hatred and loathing as she ends one after the other.

    Finally, all that remains is a towering colossus. Through her fractured Void Mind, the monster grows ever larger. The panel is framed behind Hikari from a low angle, looking up as the monster towers over her. The next panel is framed in front of Hikari, facing her. Behind her like backdrops are the ghostly images shown in their true colors, contrasting harshly with the photonegative. As each one appears, the monster howls and roars, and the image shatters and then blows away like dust. First the woman, then Jin, then her parents. Hikari feels layers of her mind being blown away each time, like layers of paint ripped off by a sandblaster laying her soul bare.
    The monster charges. Hikari braces the Lance in front of her, but the beast barely even slows. Instead of crashing into her, it blows past her. She howls in agony and despair, falling to her knees as it surges past her, through her. The Lance scrapes at it, leaving a long wound before it catches, ripped from her grasp.

    Scrambling to her feet, she turns, new fear in her eyes. The Lance sticks out of the thing’s rump like a spear in a mammoth. The point of the spear penetrates freely, up to where the body makes contact with the red cloth The monster turns in place faster than anything that size should be able to and charges again. Hikari throws herself out of the way, reaching for the spear as it passes her by. She misses, instead catching the trailing end of the red cloth wrapped around the spear which unravels from around the haft. The creature turns again, a touch more slowly. The thing appears to be shrinking, as though the Lance were drawing the creature into itself like ink sucked up into a calligraphy brush.

    As it prepares to charge once more, Hikari wraps the ends around her hand, letting the middle dangle loosely. As it lurches forward again with its head lowered, she steps aside at the last moment like a bullfighter, throwing the cloth out and catching the monster’s neck in a coil. She’s pulled forward with the creature’s force and she holds on tight. Pulling on both ends, the creature slows and stops in its tracks, rearing and bucking and trying to get free.

    The end comes quickly. The choking seems to accelerate the shrinking and Hikari wraps another loop of the cloth around its neck and keeps pulling, suffocating it into submission. Before long, there is nothing left of the beast but for Hikari’s new scars, and the Lance lays on the ground, glutted.

    With the creature dead, light pours from its many wounds and the sound of the sea and storm sweep through the panels. Spent, tired, you lay on the shores of Bear Island. Not far in the distance the skeleton of Karakuri Town. A single memory of you on a boat, of your task but nothing more. Not the fight, not the ghosts, not the woman or the beast in the darkness. In the distance you see your Captain, waiting for you still. A way home, a way away from this awful place. In the weeks after you might see glimpses in your dreams, nightmares really, of your trials. Hear the fury of the Storm King, the coming of its storm and its defeat.

    Today though is a victory despite all odds. You’ve done something few have ever done. Escaped Karakuri Town with your life.

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions:
    Potential: 1/5
    Gadget: 2

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X]White lies: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they are your role model as a hero, roll + Savior instead of + Mundane. On any hit, if they open up to you, take Influence over them.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.
    • [X] Damage: You get an additional condition called Damaged. While marked, take +1 to take a powerful blow. To clear the Damaged condition, you need time, external help, or special equipment or abilities.


    The elementals swarm about Ronin as she plows into the majority of them. Their long, sharp, alien blade limbs spend their force fruitlessly on her kinetic shielding, the charge meter on the lance rising steadily just as planned, but the whole experience is decidedly unsettling nonetheless. It's difficult to not feel somewhat agoraphobic as the sheer mass of opponents threatens to overwhelm her.

    Tsunami's abrupt departure...simplifies matters somewhat, although the amount of faith everyone seems to be putting in her is in equal measures flattering and disturbing. Kicking in the EMDrive, she bursts out of the grasping crowd of elementals to get some perspective on the chaos boiling below.

    A quick scan shows Sunburst has driven the mercenary muscle back for now, and the Guardians Junior Grade are getting their backsides handed to them quite handily. Snow Fox in particular seems to be having a hard time of it, beset by several of the blade-fingered elementals simultaneously and having clear difficulty keeping said blades from finding purchase in his flesh.

    Although not having been privy to the full exchanges between the respective teams, Ronin had certainly gotten the gist that the rest of Yami no Yojimbo weren't all that thrilled with Snow Fox and his attitude. Regardless, she's not about to start picking and choosing who's worthy of being helped. She is showing the world that she is a hero, not merely a villain's bad seed, and heroes help everyone in need.

    ”You've got them, Sunburst! Watch your back, but don't let up!” she calls to her teammate before putting her full attention back on Snow Fox. Unlimbering the kinetic lance, she unleashes a series of blasts down into the milling melee of elemental and beleaguered hero, making sure to keep her shots placed far enough out to avoid hitting the human component. She's more interested in quickly breaking up their press than trying to take any directly out of the fight; more than anything, she's interested in giving Snow Fox a chance to turn the situation to his advantage. Surely with a break in the assault he can do that much?



    Spoiler: CRUNCH
    Show
    Defend Snow Fox from the Elementals: 10
    Taking Influence over Snow Fox, of course!

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Hopeless, Afraid
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    3

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

    Moves

    Wish I could be - When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll +Freak instead of +Mundane.

    Unstoppable - When you smash your way through scenery to get to or get away from something, roll +Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition, leave something behind, or take something with you. On a miss, you smash through, but leave devestation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM's choice.


    Sunburst doesn't take the time to watch Kai fly off, only going so far as to acknowledge his thanks with a quick nod. She flinches back a moment as the gunfire resumes, barely registering Ronin's words of encouragement before reaching inside of herself once more and re-erupting in light. She begins to run forward, letting her light build to a blinding intensity as she does. She grits her teeth as she runs. This was foolhardy, she knew it was. All it would take was a stray bullet and her assault would be stopped in its tracks. Not only that, but maintaining the right level of light output was taxing in itself. Too little would be like holding a 'shoot me' sign, too much and she might cause damage to the street, or even the building.

    With the faint smell of her clothes starting to smoke, she darted inside the building. With a bit of luck, the hostages would be quick to find.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    So, generated burn in the discrod (getting an 11, so 3 burn)

    Then per Razade's direction, unleashing (on a 7) to create a flashbang type effect, goal being to blind the mercs long enough for Lanuola to make it inside. She'll mark afraid in order to keep the effect at full
    Last edited by Comissar; 2020-03-25 at 05:40 AM.



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •