New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1166 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I remember a lot of people thinking that Durkon would go to Hel when Hilgya killed him, because he died on one knee instead of fighting. But he went back to Thor. So apparently what mattered was that someone else killed him. Similarly, Rich said a politician who was assassinated would be treated as having died honorably.

It would probably be more accurate to say that dwarven culture treats it as dishonorable to die of disease, accident, or old age. Which is still plenty messed up.
    If I'm remembering correctly, the Giant has said something to the effect, using Haley as an example something like "Haley wouldn't go to Hel if she died of a disease, because she wouldn't believe that to be dishonorable."
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly, the Giant has said something to the effect, using Haley as an example something like "Haley wouldn't go to Hel if she died of a disease, because she wouldn't believe that to be dishonorable."
    You do remember correctly:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    A human can worship Thor if he wants, certainly, but he is much more popular among the dwarves. Hel is specifically the goddess of the dishonored dead, which requires a system of honor/dishonor that really only applies to the dwarves and those humans that choose to believe in such things. If Haley died of disease, she wouldn't go to Hel because she wouldn't believe that she had been dishonored.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #333
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Somehow I expect Kandro to not actually be dead and cut his way out of the Nightcrawler.

Who's with me on that?
    That was a pretty serious-looking chomp he got before he went down the hatch...

4. - Top - End - #334

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Canisius View Post
    That was a pretty serious-looking chomp he got before he went down the hatch...
    Yep he very dead.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I do like how "mysterious horn-helmed powerful dwarf" is one of the first ones in behind Durkon. Since he doesn't have a name, I doubt he'll last long. I'd like to learn more about him, but then, I've rolled awesome toons that were immediately cut down, so, bon chance, mysterious horn-helmed powerful dwarf.

6. - Top - End - #336

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Yep he very dead.
    He very dead and I'm sure he's happier that way.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    The second is interpretation, the first one not.
    A dwarf needs to die with honor to get into paradise. With honor means in a fight or from alcohol.This is not my interpretation. We even see them in dwarf heaven.
    So is your point that Dwarven belief is wrong and they could all enter Walhalla without fighting or alcohol?
    That isn't what you said. You said this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Now here comes this author who brings up a fantasy race that believes in the concept - and is supposed to be RIGHT about doing so.
    Which I think is best answered by this:

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    The whole point of the honorable death system is that it's ridiculous and arbitrary. It's definitely making fun of the concept. I don't see why people are looking for it to be logical or fair when the whole point is that it's not.
    And this:

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    The message of OOTS with respect to Valhalla is not that it's right or wrong to seek an honorable death when your eternal-ish soul is at stake. It's that it's wrong for the gods to force this tragic choice upon the dwarves.
    And this:

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Show me the comic strip where the Giant clearly conveys the authorial intent that the dwarves are right in their decision, that is, that the dwarves are morally correct to form a cult of honor and death by combat, or whatever. Show me where the Giant passes a moral judgment on his characters, within the confines of the strip, for doing so.

I’ll wait.

At best, the dwarves are “right” (ie, correct) that the facts of their world dictate either dying with honor or being tortured by Hel, or however you want to frame that dichotomy. It is a feature of the world they live in and they are correct in behaving as if it is.

But did the Giant use the comic to make the point that the dwarves are right, in a moral sense, for responding as they do to the conditions of their world? Has this ever been a major theme?

Actually, it has not. In fact, the theme is

Dwarves are different. The POV characters remark upon it. Roy says Durkon is strange. Even Durkula doesn’t get it.

So yeah, show me where this theme is. I’d be curious to see which strip I’m forgetting.

8. - Top - End - #338

Lizardfolk

But what if a dwarf thought that disease was not a dishonourable death?
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    But what if a dwarf thought that disease was not a dishonourable death?
    They’d be ****ed. It matters what Haley thinks because humans are not subject to the bet.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I remember a lot of people thinking that Durkon would go to Hel when Hilgya killed him, because he died on one knee instead of fighting. But he went back to Thor. So apparently what mattered was that someone else killed him.
    But he didn't go to Valhalla. He was back on the clouds, which was most probably the p place to wait to be judged.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    But he didn't go to Valhalla. He was back on the clouds, which was most probably the p place to wait to be judged.
    Both cases of dispute we’ve seen took place in Hel.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    Dwarves still are judged to determine which plane they belong to, just as Roy was. But that requires them to have died with enough honour to not be taken by Hel before they get judged. Although it does feel like clerics might get an instant free pass to their god's residence, given that Minrah was pre-cleared for Valhalla.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Dwarves still are judged to determine which plane they belong to, just as Roy was. But that requires them to have died with enough honour to not be taken by Hel before they get judged. Although it does feel like clerics might get an instant free pass to their god's residence, given that Minrah was pre-cleared for Valhalla.

Grey Wolf
    She went down fighting and technically got killed by a cleric of Loki.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    She went down fighting and technically got killed by a cleric of Loki.
    All of which means she avoids Hel. Not that she belongs in Valhalla - maybe she'd fit better in the mountain, having infinite one-night stands but feeling guilty about it, like Roy was judged to.

But she didn't get a Deva judgment, despite her being (presumably) LG, and I'm fairly convinced Thor is CG, and so is Valhalla, so the rules about accessing the afterlife matching your alignment are not being applied here. Now, most likely it is because there is no plot-reason to waste our time with it, but, as I said, maybe clerics are automatically shunted to their god's place regardless of alignment instead (this, however, does not explain why Thor's example dwarf ended up playing cards with him, though - she's unlikely to have been a cleric).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-06-12 at 08:58 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I imagine that good dwarves could technically be sent somewhere else than Valhalla, but no one really bothers doing so. Dwarves expect to go there, and who is Thor to say they can't go as long as they're good?

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I imagine that good dwarves could technically be sent somewhere else than Valhalla, but no one really bothers doing so. Dwarves expect to go there, and who is Thor to say they can't go as long as they're good?
    Thor is not in charge of the Universe. The Universe is in charge of the Universe. As the Deva explained to Roy, in the LG plane they do things by the Book, which is 100 feet tall and alight with holy fire. Thor is no more in a position to override The Book than he can override any of the other rules of how the Universe ticks along. Souls are crucial for the working of the plane and thus the gods, so poaching souls that belong elsewhere would be a major no-no.

ETA: Again, this is all based on Durkon's exposition. Dwarves still get sent to the plane that matches their alignment, if they pass Hel's gauntlet.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-06-12 at 02:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Wait isn’t the rules that religious people go their god’s domain in death? In any case, I expected the bariaur at the end of the rainbow to conduct Minrah’s evaluation.

Edit: Minrah was ‘pre-cleared’ whatever that means.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-06-12 at 09:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Thor is not in charge of the Universe. The Universe is in charge of the Universe. As the Deva explained to Roy, in the LG plane they do things by the Book, which is 10 feet tall and alight with holy fire. Thor is no more in a position to override The Book than he can override any of the other rules of how the Universe ticks along. Souls are crucial for the working of the plane and thus the gods, so poaching souls that belong elsewhere would be a major no-no.

ETA: Again, this is all based on Durkon's exposition. Dwarves still get sent to the plane that matches their alignment, if they pass Hel's gauntlet.

Grey Wolf
    Sure, it does things by the book because it's the LG realm. Valhalla is the CG realm, and therefore would be more lax. And the deva was pretty clear to Roy that she can bump him to any other realm and they'll decide if they want him or not.

Because honestly, Durkon is as LG as it gets, and do you really think he doesn't expect to enter Valhalla?
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2019-06-12 at 09:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wait isn’t the rules that religious people go their god’s domain in death?
    Not explicitly so, no, at least to the best of my recollection.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    In any case, I expected the bariaur at the end of the rainbow to conduct Minrah’s evaluation.
    I suppose it could be that clerics get "first judged" at their god's abode, while non-clerics are judged by a generic Deva-equivalent from their self-professed alignment plane.

But on the other hand, clerics do sorta get judged on a daily basis - they can lose their clerical powers if they stray from their god's teaching, can't they not? So it makes sense that they require a lot less paperwork at death, since they've been regularly audited in life.

Sure, it does things by the book because it's the LG realm. Valhalla is the CG realm, and therefore would be more lax. And the deva was pretty clear to Roy that she can bump him to any other realm and they'll decide if they want him or not.
    Yes, but again: the rules, as have been given to us, is that you get judged regardless of how obvious your final destination is. You start at the plane matching your professed alignment (i.e. LG for Durkon and Minrah), where a judgement of some kind us used to determine if you do in fact fit there, and get let in or shunted to the more appropriate one. Which did NOT happen here - Durkon and Minrah are not in the LG clouds, as far as we can tell.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-06-12 at 09:23 AM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Yes, but again: the rules, as have been given to us, is that you get judged regardless of how obvious your final destination is. You start at the plane matching your professed alignment (i.e. LG for Durkon and Minrah), where a judgement of some kind us used to determine if you do in fact fit there, and get let in or shunted to the more appropriate one. Which did NOT happen here - Durkon and Minrah are not in the LG clouds, as far as we can tell.

Grey Wolf
    And Thor outright said that Minrah was pre-cleared to enter Valhalla, no judging necessary, so I think that indicates that Valhalla is more lax about those rules, or that Thor can decide to let people in despite those rules.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

And Thor outright said that Minrah was pre-cleared to enter Valhalla, no judging necessary, so I think that indicates that Valhalla is more lax about those rules, or that Thor can decide to let people in despite those rules.
    None of which explains why Minrah, an LG individual, is not in the LG section getting judged as per the LG rules.

Seriously, do try to address my point instead of repeating "CG is different". I can accept CG is different. But Minrah is not CG, she's LG, and thus the rules for LG should be applying.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-06-12 at 09:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Colossus in the Playground

According to Complete Divine, devoted followers of a deity can bend the standard rules when it comes to appropriate afterlife plane.

So - a plurality of orcs are CE - but because their main deity resides in the LN(LE) plane Acheron, those who are devoted to the deity, go to Acheron, regardless of the fact that by alignment, they don't really belong there.

Similar principles may apply to Durkon and Minrah - by being devoted to Thor who resides in Valhalla, they get in, even though they're LG and Valhalla is (assuming it's The Giant's version of Ysgard) CN(CG).
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-06-12 at 09:52 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

None of which explains why Minrah, an LG individual, is not in the LG section getting judged as per the LG rules.

Seriously, do try to address my point instead of repeating "CG is different". I can accept CG is different. But Minrah is not CG, she's LG, and thus the rules for LG should be applying.

Grey Wolf
    If the LG rules applied, why would she be in Valhalla? Wouldn't she be sent to the mountain? I'm not sure I understand your point.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

My theory is that souls don't go to the afterlife of their professed alignment for the first crack, they go to the afterlife they wanted. Which means LG dwarves would go to CG Valhalla first.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

25. - Top - End - #355

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    My theory is that souls don't go to the afterlife of their professed alignment for the first crack, they go to the afterlife they wanted. Which means LG dwarves would go to CG Valhalla first.
    That you first go to the afterlife you want to go to makes sense to me. I guess what's confusing here is that because of the Bet dwarves end up with a strong inclination towards lawfulness even if their preferred afterlife is Valhalla.

On the other hand their main 'law' is honour, so it's not like they'd wander about inside Valhalla complaining that people aren't using the right forks for their salad. If there's even salad in Valhalla. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a fair amount of dwarves who, the moment they're told that they've passed the honour test and are safe from Hel's grasp, immedaitely loosen up.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

We seem to be forgetting that Roy doesn't worship a deity. He went to his afterlife based on his alignment. Those who do worship a deity would go to their deity to be judged worthy or not.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

My theory is that everyone goes first to wherever they think they belong. Dwarves who believe in the honour system think they belong in either Valhalla or [Niflheim?], so that's where they go first. Some dwarves think they died dishonourably, but Thor disagreed and went there to fetch them. Dwarves who don't believe in the honour system (assuming we can use a plural there) might go to a different place first, only for Hel to show up and claim what's hers. Roy and Eugene think they belong in Celestia, so that's where they are when they die. And then, the actual alignment is determined. For dwarves feating in Valhalla, that might take a long while, which doesn't seem to be a problem because there's no timetables that we have seen.

Durkon does speak of Valhalla as an eternal reward, but that can't be literally true so I don't think it's necessarily an insurmountable problem here.
    ungelic is us

28. - Top - End - #358

HalflingRogueGuy

Or maybe there’s a pre-judging system.

And if LG people are going to something called Valhalla, maybe the afterlife called Valhalla is LG.
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-06-12 at 12:24 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359

As the Deva explained to Roy, in the LG plane they do things by the Book, which is 10 feet tall and alight with holy fire.

Grey Wolf
    100 Feet Tall. And on fire. Which is why none of those dead adventurers have stolen it for loot yet.

30. - Top - End - #360

Lizardfolk

Correct me if I'm wrong but that comment was made before we knew about Hels wager. It could've been Rich playing his cards close to his chest about later plot reveals rather than saying 'this'll be covered in later books' and sparking fifty odd pages of speculation.