Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE5! - CWBG - Now in Galactic Size

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    If they are assumed to have been exploring those regions since the game started, though, wouldn't they also have been able to, and therefore have the opportunity now, to buy out TPs, convert learning centres, establish/fabricate claims on, invade and conquer those/other nearby regions, etc?

I suppose it depends on where the line is drawn between "this region has always been there and doing stuff and we're retconning it in now" and "this region has only just become able to do stuff that affects things outside its own sector". In previous games the latter has been harder to explain away but the presence/distribution of GLD makes it rather more straightforward to explain now - but then someone who's only just acquired it wouldn't have been able to explore until now.

I'm not sure there is a fluff justification for exploration and nothing else. There probably is a game balance justification for it, although exploration actions do affect other nearby players, if indirectly.

This isn't to get at HT, but I'm not sure we've actually had a new player who's used any bonus actions this game until now, so I'm trying to make sense of what they can and can't do with them, since the rulings have changed.
    You are correct; there isn't much "fluff" justification, and it does get wibbly wobbly when you consider the Revolutions. And while explorations do indirectly affect other nearby players, the effect is not removing opportunities to claim a region; instead, it makes it easier for them to do so, though they will need to be prepared to deal with any consequences such an action might have. The point I am ruling in favor of, though, is that a New Player's Bonus Actions should allow them the same abilities and actionable situations as any other player who was here for Round 1. Does that mean that I would allow them to do Raids or Sacks as Bonus Actions? No. There's clearly a limit, mechanically speaking, and I'm of the opinion that Exploration actions are not breaking that limit.

Everyone. Hi. I hope your holiday season has been enjoyable, whatever you and yours celebrate.

I have a HEAD GM ANNOUNCEMENT.

Because of the Holiday season, and existing GM Schedules, Round 14 will be extended by two weeks. Instead of closing tomorrow, it will instead close on the 12th of January, 2020, at 8am EST.

That's it. That's the TL;DR. If you don't care about the reasons, you're done. You don't have to read the rest.

For those of you who do care... This is not a decision I make lightly. This was discussed with other members of the GM Team, with other players to get their opinions, and while the answer was a resounding "meh" from the majority, there were far more positive responding "meh" sounds then negative "meh" sounds.

Why are we doing this?

Several reasons. First, the selfish reason. The GM Team is still split up a bit during the Holiday season; If we proceeded apace to our usual schedule, tomorrow would be a very rough opener. Both in the sense that it would basically be a rough draft and also that it would be rough on myself and the... one?.. other GM Team member who could help me. For a short while. And we don't have nearly as much done before hand like we normally do.

Secondly, there are many players whom are still getting their actions in order because they also are having a holiday season break. This extra two weeks will allow them a chance to solidify both their actions and their fluff to their liking.

Third, this is a gift for those players whom still have regions to write up. You're getting extra time. You're welcome! (Take the chance to write up your regions!)

Fourth: I had more plans and intent to discuss things as Conveyance at the current Event. I feel like I didn't get enough time to do so, and I'd love to be able to add some actual character to my characters. You guys won at Efficiency Ground, and being able to speak with Conveyance is meant to be part of the reward for that successful victory. In my opinion, it would be a pretty cruddy prize if I only had the chance to post a couple times because I was away visiting family.

Fifth, and perhaps the most important to me... my GM Team deserves a (small) break. 14 successful Round Openers (in a row!) is 28 weeks, IRL. That's over half a year. While not the most impressive track record, I'm personally pretty pleased with not missing a round opener deadline till now. We've been kicking butt and creating names, and if I can help make their lives a little easier this holiday season, I will do so. It's this reason that pushed me over the edge of this extension, and I hope the player community will support me in celebrating the GM Team's job well done (so far!) and allow us this unexpected delay.

Now, for the other question I'm sure some of you are asking:

Why (2) weeks, and not (1)?
    That's on me, I'm afraid. Believe it or not, I do have a life outside of Empire! games (gasp!) and I've been successful so far in scheduling things on non-round Opener Sundays. It's much easier to change the week of a round opener then it is to change the other schedule-y bits of my life. Bumping the opener back a week conflicts with the schedule I have set up, and means that we either have a pair of extra long (3) week rounds (where only Gengy gets a break) or we have one very long (4) week round and the whole GM Team gets a break. See the difference?

Basically, my "off weeks" are arranged as such that I can't be sure that I'll be able to finish an Opener for that Sunday before I have to go out and have a social life in person. I'd much rather keep the regular schedule where I know that (if I had to) I could spend 12 hours working on the opener, uninterrupted. As I said before, I'm pretty pleased with the current GM Team's track record of not missing an Opener till now. I honestly was considering forcing it to continue, and handling the whole dang opener myself if I had to... but the other reasons (players getting more time, more time at the Event, etc.) forestalled that decision.

If we have a problem in the future, will there be another 4-week Round?

I'm pretty sure that while there may be some of you unhappy with this decision, I don't think anyone here will begrudge the GM Team the extra time to do things right. I think we've proven that, when given the chance, we can maintain a fairly solid Round Close/Round Open schedule, and it's only when almost every member of the GM Team is unavailable that our system breaks down. While I can't say what the future will hold, I will say that "extra long" rounds are not my solution all the time. When possible, we try to plan for when a GM Team member is out and make up for it ahead of time. That happened in November, when I had personal matters to see to during a round opener week. I let the GM Team know ahead of time, and Rando stepped up to open the round.

That is my preferred method of handling issues like this. I want to keep the same two week schedule to the best of our overall abilities. That may mean another 4-week round at some point, or it may mean that we have a pair of 3-week rounds at some time... again, I don't know. I would like to think that it's only the holidays that is throwing us off!

Thank you all for your understanding.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

2. - Top - End - #512
    Orc in the Playground

Not that it's necessary, but for my two cents in terms of fluff/mechanical justification for exploration actions being fine for new players:

New Player Bonus Actions (NPBA) are usually thought of as representing what has been happening leading up to their entrance onto the stage as a galactic power/major player/whatever, like Gengy said. The things they've been doing from the start of the game while everyone else has been far busier.

The reason we don't have Raids, Buyouts, Sacks, Conquests, Conversions, etc. as options for NPBA is because all of those are things that would have been noticed earlier, because the only other places they could be done in are places that are explored already. Explaining how that happened but we only noticed now would be...hard, and it's very likely that Players, their Stellar Powers, or both, would have wanted to do different things in response had those events been occurring.

However. Exploration Actions by powers not in contact with the rest of the galactic community, or continent, or whatever. The regions were not explored by the rest of the Galaxy, so what happens in them is essentially unknown. The closest is the possibility of some existing powers having failed an exploration action in those regions, with the question of 'if they were already explored why did we need to'.

But the answer is pretty easy - either it was after the failed attempt that this fledgling power made their own attempt, or they were a contributing factor to why it failed. And even leaving aside those, the information they'd gathered would not have been available to the broader galactic community, no matter how long they'd had it. And it takes time to establish spy networks disseminate information and standardize communications protocols with this new power, as well as for the new power to get into full gear to capitalize on the knowledge with their new and improved FTL, sovereign legitimacy, etc., which is why it's only in the next round opener that they get the info.

Finally, from a perspective of game design: with only one LC per region and a starting cap of 5 units, unless you're buying out your own Trade Posts or start with a Special5, there's honestly not much else you can do that is useful past a certain threshold of bonus actions, and you still need to take your regular actions (with very little around you to stick your fingers in, most likely). So giving something for them to do, and getting new players started off in terms of engagement with core mechanics a bit faster, is just a good idea.
    Last edited by Rolepgeek; 2020-01-02 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Italics works different on forums
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

3. - Top - End - #513
    Barbarian in the Playground

Happy new year everyone! I'm no longer dying from schoolwork, so have my region writeups - at long last.

Region H24 - Whiskey Springs

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    The New Chien system in what is designated the ‘Whiskey Springs’ sector is teeming with life, though few of it naturally sentient. Tezh research bases marked what Celestia Corp believes to be the first colonization efforts in the region, which had all been swiftly conquered later and their people distributed into Celestian space. This marks most of the most bountiful planets with a strong Tezh presence that still exists today. One of the most prominent worlds is called New Chien that serves as a natural wellspring for whiskey and grain on a scale that no individual brewery could compete with. ...Making it a fabulous place to plan all sorts of indulgent capitalist vacations.

The operations on-planet, though plentiful, still maintain a focus on preserving the ecosystem and greenery. It is not unheard of for this beautiful and safe frontier-style life to capture the hearts of folks from near and far, drawing a natural influx of people to the New Chien and the worlds around it. It is well known as a very tame continental world with an extraordinarily peaceful natural system of wildlife, leading many popular religions through the company to conclude that it may be a naturally holy site.

As for the other worlds around it, the rest of the system features several other worlds with habitable planets; though none so easy as the one aforementioned. Other systems in their entirety are well spread and support their own cities/industries, with a whole bunch of unnatural debris that seems to have come from the direction of the core in an age gone by. Long ruined and quite metallic, these items are commonly showered onto the planets below, usually capable of minor damage that is safely ignored. To say that there is only a lot of it would be an understatement; some sort of megastructure must have collapsed to create this much debris.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    Tezh, Grymlans, and humans are the primary inhabitants of Whiskey Springs, within which a mixture of a rustic style of living is present alongside grand industrial complexes made to harvest the native resources. Those seeking to give up the complex life that an interstellar society demands of an individual often come to or retire here, creating a community of generally simple-minded folk who wish to be left alone, caring more for their safety and freedoms than profit or progress. This sometimes puts them into a difficult position, being governed by an aristocratic megacorporation that seeks to have a monopoly on as many of the galaxy’s industries as possible. Minor rebellions have occurred in the past, but due to the lower technological level of the area and smaller population (when contrasted by the larger city-worlds of Celestia), they have been quickly suppressed and ignored while new hotels and resorts have continued to develop on the alcohol producing paradise.

Further out from New Chien where the actual industries are, there are often operations to salvage metals that drift between stars from the lost megastructure, but the people who perform such operations are typically not local. They are well regulated by the AI known as Ziplock, defended by robotic ships that patrol the region to deal with piracy and crime. It is known to be a bit arbitrary at times, as their AI constable seems incapable of recognizing that intention alters the severity of damage done in any situation.

Outside of the main systems there is also a grand space station that serves as one of the Galaxy’s largest and most prestigious centers of learning known as ‘Liwei University.’ As a center of Realtist thought and a stunning display of the best quality construction that money can buy, it is almost entirely separate from the standard operations in the sector simply due to the vast difference in affluence, where the justice system is determined by the Headmaster of the academy rather than an AI… Within this well guarded site, a great vault exists that is made exclusively for locking down dangerous and unknown artifacts from across the stars. As of yet, it has never been breached, and it is unknown to anyone but the current headmaster as to how one might go about opening or even finding it.

Spoiler: History
    Show
    Lacking sentient life before the Tezh initially found the region, the history of Whiskey Springs is a short one. The initial discovery and colonization was done by the Tezh, until their efforts were interrupted by the revolution and Celestian military might lead by an AI general known as Ziplock became the new authority in the region. New Chien was declared to be a rustic paradise world by Zeres Magazine in Celestia just two years after the conquest of the area, causing an influx of people and infrastructure… But as of yet, it remains mostly untouched by capitalist influence.

Liwei academy is the other main draw of the region, constructed by a prominent Realtist philanthropist when the company’s future was uncertain and later declared an official Realtist dwelling that beings from all over the galaxy come to learn within. It has since lead to an industrial complex of stations in space surrounding the off-world university, and saw the robbery of the Library of Truth just before the completion of the ‘perfect vault’ within the facility. As of yet, the identity of the robbers has never been discovered!

Finally, the huge amount of metallic debris floating through the region is said to be part of an ancient megastructure said to be floating in from the direction of the core; but with the revolution having happened at least twice, nobody is actually sure where the massive quantities of metal came from or what purpose they might have served.

Spoiler: Trade (Daytime Whiskey - Great)
    Show
    Whiskey Springs is named after the area’s primary export: Alcohol. The paradise world dubbed ‘New Chien’ to commemorate the loss of Celestian farming world ‘Chien’ is home to countless refugees from the black hole incident a decade prior to the discovery of the planet as well as many, many, many folks that use the planet’s natural fertility to raise crops and the naturally occurring abundance of alcohol - specifically Daytime Whiskey; which glimmers in the sunlight like no other drink. Celestia is working to secure a monopoly on this delicacy, but as of yet they have found their people unwilling to negotiate.

Spoiler: Philosophy (Realtism)
    Show
    The mysterious philosophy of ‘DDD’ once held sway in this system, but it has since given way to become a beacon of Realtist in the galaxy as projected through Celestian Media and culture. The philosophy has an unrivaled influence in the sector, often even more so than Celestia Proper. Where the Headmaster serves as an authority in things related to Realtist thought, Celestian CEOs should be constantly making sure that power does not slip too far into the hands of the ideological leader of their people…

Region H26 - Sharaylia

Show
    The native people of Sharaylia spread far across the many worlds available to them, packing them full of industry and life. As such, most of the systems with even somewhat habitable worlds have some presence upon them, and there are very few places for things to hide in what would typically be the darkness between the stars. These planets, however, are often only sparsely populated. The ‘core worlds’ are numerous and scattered, shattered into a thousand small nations with varying cultures, levels of development, and government. One world, called Sharaylia, is heralded as the local homeworld for all life. It is unique in that a great bite mark has been taken from the planet, having removed nearly a third of the mass of the great space rock from existence some sixty years ago. Arid mushroom forests and nuclear deserts now replace the pieces of the world that remain, of which the founding of ‘Chicky Supreme’ and its preceding Great Dive is blamed for…

When Celestia Enterprises founded Chicky Supreme, many feared a second coming of the Great flaming god, and a second societal collapse. Fortunately, no such appearances have you occured, and industry and unity have begun to restart now that Celestia holds military sway over the region. With further order comes progress and development, even if it is slowed by poverty and crime. ...Crime in the brand of space piracy is quite strong in the region, making it a dangerous place to live and work, but giving many interesting locations with relics from past battles just floating on the stars. Overall, the region of space could be described as a post-apocalyptic free for all, where the fruitful but autocratic Celestian military-occupied regions are contrasted by large stretches of nuclear waste and chaos.

Show
    Humanoids of azure blue skin, whose height rivals that of humans and whose features are also strangely similar inhabit Sharaylia. Known as Sharyans, they differ in that they possess both horns upon their heads that curl like a ram’s, and the innate ability to call upon arcane miracles. Throughout history their common faiths had often surrounded those born with the most capable of magical powers, and their origins, but none can truly say for sure. These magics function as psionics, linked to a natural ‘gem’ that resides on the back of their hands and carries the same spectrum of possible colors as the rainbow, with the ‘first’ colors being the most common. Once with their own proud works of art, military, and culture, but now mostly reduced to a wild-west style of living and fashion with their former civilization as the backdrop.

Typically more aggressive and spontaneous that humans, emotions can quickly get the better of them. This has, of course, made recovery more difficult.

Show
    The Sharyans developed spacefaring technology and spread across the stars all on their own, with all the right aspects to be chosen by the Calls for receiving faster than light travel… If only they had managed to keep it together for that long. Legend has it that the people of Sharaliya created a dive so powerful that it attracted the eye of a great planar deity they call the ‘Fire Breasted God,’ who punished them for their obnoxious food industries by taking a raw bite from their homeworld; launching the whole thing into chaos. Within a fortnight, the world was turned to nuclear ash, and the survivors have picked up a more dangerous and solitary lifestyle that has much in common with terran ‘wild west’ culture.

With only sparse cities and low populations, but still many overall through the region, unity has been impossible until an outside force imposed its will upon the fractured people… Celestia Enterprises, putting the pirates and brigands to gunpoint and assuring the loyalty of the scattered stellar cities. While they’ve occupied the area they’ve also revived Axiom’s Greatest Dive that got these people into this situation to begin with; Chicky Supreme, a right nightmare of a restaurant.

Spoiler: Trade (Broosewill Laces - Great)
    Show
    The Broosewill lace. The perfect blend of arcana and electronics. A lasso type weapon capable of restraining even the strongest of aliens, and some legends even describe the most capable of wielders even dragging ships that were taking off back into the dirt to prevent the escape of their foes. Useful for catching individuals without harming them and generally getting folks all tied up, these laces are used by criminals and law enforcement both to take captives and exercise authority on various regions of space. They’re made by standard machine factories and enchanted by professionals in the region whose talents are well prized, but so many have been made that they are no longer as valuable as they once were, and they are often sold as a ‘regional staple’ since the collapse of the primary industry some years ago.Typically they appear in bright neon colors, each with a faint glow.

Spoiler: Philosophy (Realtism)
    Show
    Though the people of Sharaliya centered their philosophy around the fire breasted god for many generations after the apocalypse that befell their people, they have since seen through Celestian recreation of Axiom’s Greatest Dive ‘Chicky Supreme’ that their chances of seeing the all powerful deity return any time soon are very low, and their new protectors are more fit to defend against it than their own people ever were. As such, they have begun to integrate into the Philosophy of Realtism, accepting its much more balanced tenants.
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

4. - Top - End - #514
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Harb-Cloud, Region #M31

Spoiler: System
    Show

Harb-Cloud has one planet, Harb, a purple colored world with green water that orbits a blue star and has 31 different orbiting objects resembling large asteroids that seem to be caught in its gravitational well. It is suggested that there was in fact considerably more sattelites but, due to the cloud of rocky debris, they likely obliterated themselves in spectacular collisions. The planet is in the habitable zone of the star and is host to life, the most notable of which is Harb, the giant fungal entity that inhabits the planet.

Show

Harb, the fungal entity, is diffused throughout the ecosystem either as a thick carpet that covers the ground, or symbiotically bonded to plants and animals. It has a vast consciousness that spreads across the planet, but without any tool-making hosts it has been planet-bound and blissfully unaware of the events occurring beyond its cluttered space.

Show

Harb had been largely unconcerned with the on-goings with events outside of its region, and likely would have remained so had the Combine exploration team not found the planet. One of the explorers died after drinking water with fungal spores in it that attempted to bond with the Grymlan's physiology. Research into the explorer's death, along with an examination of the local ecosystem revealed Harb to the Combine. Showing obvious signs of intellect, but lacking a method of communication, the Combine managed to engineer a method for Harb to interface with an OwO hub, allowing communication with the fungal entity while drawing its attention to the rest of the galaxy.

Spoiler: Philosophy
    Show
    Harb had little reason to develop a philosophy beyond propigation, recent installation of an OwO hub has opened its eyes to the greater galaxy and the myriad forms of thought within it.
    Learning Center - Harb Hub is a building constructed by Grymlans that contains the apparatus that allows Harb access to OwO and UwU, melding biological matter with electronic. Several Techies live on site to both maintain the hub, and make changes to suit Harb's needs as they evolve.

Spoiler: Trade
    Show

Aerobic Sludge: Aerobic Sludge is a byproduct of Harb's biological processes. Normally the sludge acts as a nutrient source for the local flora, but with the additon of oxygen it can be refined into a very volatile [FUEL] source.

Symbio-Storm, Region #O31
    Spoiler: System
    Show

Three planets orbit a green star called the Motherflame by the locals due to the Luminary housed within. The closest planet is a small barren world, scorchingly hot due to its proximity to the star, called the Mother's ire. The furthest planet is a large gas giant beyond a modest asteroid belt, its swirling mass of purple atmosphere giving it the name of the Seer's Eye. Symbio is a planet in the habitable zone surrounded by the rocky debris of what had been a protomoon. The planet itself is heavily infused with magic, which not only shapes the fauna, but is the cause of frequent storms that savage the planets surface. These storms act as a loci for intense magic outbursts causing rapid, magical mutations in the local flora and fauna. Symbio cities are underground, sheltered from these storms, but the inhabitants have devised ways to use these storms to their advantage. At the far reaches there is a large gas giant called the Shadow on account of its dark atmosphere.

Show
    The Symbio are a race of insect-like humanoids with bee-like markings on their chitin, two sets of arms, powerful diaphanous wings, and a chitinous abdomen ending in a vicious, retractable, stinger, with males capable of generating a deadly, excruciating poison, while females are capable of carrying and laying eggs. There are two distinct subspecies of the Symbio, Royals and Mundane, with Royals being larger and more magically gifted than Mundanes, but only making up about 15% of the population. The two species can interbreed normally though the vagaries of genetics does not guarantee a Royal from Royal couplings, and on occasion a Royal can be birthed from Mundane parentage. Should a Mundane somehow survive the full might of one of the potent magical storms of Symbio unprotected, they will ascend as Royal, their bodies warped and empowered by the storm's chaotic energies. Royals can do the same to ascend to the status of Vessal, but as they must weather the ravages of the weather without the aid of magic, they are no more protected than the Mundanes attempting Royalhood. Despite the threat many seek the empowerment of the storm, very rarely do they survive to reap the benefits. Vessalhood is both a blessing and curse. It grants phenomenal amounts of power, but also ties the Vessel to the Motherflame, to give ones self up in bonding with the great entity.

The Symbio Magocrisy is a loose coalition of city states that answers to the Luminary High Mother As'lyeth who is bonded to a Vessal. Royals make up the bulk of the Magocrisy not only handling relations with their sister cities, but also are responsible for maintaining the magical stability of their cities. The Commons are the second branch of government represents the Mundanes of the City states, and they handle the internal politics of the city states.

Show

High Mother As'lyeth has had a hand in the Symbio's evolution despite the storms that ravage the planet being outside of her control. The race had stabilized into a post industrial state, and were just beginning research into spaceflight when An'Null's Eradicators, at the time called Star People, arrived on the scene. The opportunistic pirates sought to exploit the magical batteries that the Symbio produced, and captured High Mother As'lyeth when she approached them diplomatically. They held the High Mother hostage to keep the city states in line, while threatening to dump toxic waste on the planet to keep the luminary in check. For several generations the Symbio's fate was uncertain when their salvation came from an unusual source. One day the skies above Symbio erupted in brilliant fire as the Combine invaded in an attempt to remove the Eradicator's presence from the region, inadvertently freeing the Symbio at the same time. A surprising development, the Combine reached out to the Symbio ushering them onto the galactic scene as one of the newest members of the Combine.

Show
    The Symbio religion was the Way of the Mother, both revering As'lyeth as a prophet. It is said that As'lyeth taught the Symbio how to survive the storms on their planet and to cultivate a civilization. Tenants of the religion focused on endurance, adaptation and growth in the face of adversity. Unfortunately the long occupation of the Symbio by Ah'Null's Eradicators shook the Symbio's faith and its practice has yet to recover.

Spoiler: Trade
    Show

Symbio Hyper Gigawatt Batteries: Misnamed by a particularly overzealous Eradicator. Symbio Hyper Gigawatt Batteries are magically crafted capacitors capable of storing the magically transformative energies of the storms that plague Symbio. These batteries are highly sought after by researchers as a source of [Arcana] and can be employed in equipment that deal with the alteration of materials or energy.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Pixie in the Playground

C13 - Horizon
    Show

Horizon is a relatively typical continental world with a wide variety of terrains and climates. Sitting at a roughly 1 AU orbit with 4 other planetary bodies in the system of a main class star. The biggest oddity to the planet is that there is no developed life on Horizon or any of the other major planetary bodies in the system and only it's proximity to the former Melfynian capital is the major landmark. While there were some minor outposts on the planet it is relatively uninhabited though has a small collection of Melfynian refugees that were off planet when their home system disappeared.
    The furthest planet of the system has been labeled as Doissetep by a collection of Shdraxi as an attempt to see if there way for them to expand in a colonial manner. A rocky and cold world it is a primarily silicon planet and is fairly similar to the home system of Shdrathan.

Show

No major population centers exist at this time on Horizon or it's companion planets. Though it is of prime consideration for several colonization efforts of members of the trade league with Shdraxi outposts on the newly christened Doissetep and Etherits and Human outposts on Horizon with some the local trading and farming combines being classified as unique Realms.

Show

The sector of space was the original home system of the Melfynian's though with their disappearance not much of that history remains. The future begins to unfold with colonization efforts and preservation efforts of what remains of the Melfynians and to either provide them a sanctuary space or transportation to a location more amenable.

Spoiler: Government
    Show

A relatively lawless space at his point in time the individual worlds are looking to fall in line more with the overall trading culture of the Trade league and it's position within the larger Star League.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show

While reduced to an overall rocky debris field the Melfynian Alloys (hard metal) that the system was known for are still very much present. No major effort has been put forward as yet to begin harvesting or refining this metal.

Show

At this time there is no major school or place of worship in the sector to guide the locals.

B12 - Schizaphis
    Show

A large, rocky world with gravity of only .5 g but a higher oxygen and helium content in the air has led to a world of mega flora and fauna. Towering trees and overlarge flowering and non-flowerring surface vegetation. The light from the nearby white star causes many colors to seam washed out to most lifeforms but for those able to see beyond the normal spectrum of humanoid vision is treated to a world alight with color and energy.

Show

Schizaphis are a predominately brown and green colored 2 meter long and 1 meter tall insectoid, similar in appearance to grass Aphids. Depending on diet their coloration will slowly change over time. Throughout much of their maturation cycle the population of the planet is primarily female with members of the species genetically becoming male during the fall season based on climate. The society is thus, a matriarchal one centered on local or regional queens and following a fairly strict social order. Recent growth as the Schizaphis have reached the beginnings of an industrial society has caused a massive explosion of population and over-farming of areas. The Schizaphis are a civilization on the rise…or is it on the fall. The explosion of population, the changing of hands from exploration to the coming and disappearance of the Melfyians, the introduction of a variety of philosophies has produced a civilization on the brink. Where time brings them and can the planet be stabilized is up to the question of powers.

Show

With the move from a purely agrarian into the beginnings of industrialization has moved the Schizaphis from a civilization in balance with their environment to one that is at it's first major brink of correction or extinction. The entrance of the Melfyians into the Schizaphis area and society had very little impact outside of the bringing of OwO. Even with ships and traders bringing in communications from distant worlds it seems that OwO had a reduced impact compared to on other worlds. The world is still in flux and is more than ever on the brink of an ecological disaster.

Show

Current planetary government is a Matriarchal monarchy with the highest position being that of Empress. Though the Empress herself has little personal power as most of it is decentralized down into the lower Queens and duchesses at a regional level. The Empress's power and scope of responsibility has been defined for outward matters pointing towards the relatively new concept of extra planetary affairs.

Show

The primary resource of the planet is a massive sized, 5 meter in length cereal grain Manoomin (Fauna). Current cultivation efforts for external export have been focused in two of the larger kingdoms of Schleswig (TP 1) and Wilhelmia (TP 2).

Show

No philosophy was predominant with the Schizaphis prior to discovery by the Etherites. With the first revolution and the changing of the skies brought the Melfyians and OwO. While OwO took hold many of it's principles did not as the language and communication barrier just was not to be breached.
    Last edited by Electriccat; 2020-01-09 at 03:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a (and hopefully a couple more) region write up for approval.

Written by Lleban and myself. Mostly him though! <3

Region I17
    Karite Prime

Spoiler: Region
    Show
    Region
    While the sector was once home to many vibrant systems, frequent attacks by The Same v0.01 have whittled it down to a singular system. Hidden in the midst of the manticore nebula, the Borrower home system contains two habitable planets orbiting a white dwarf. Outside the habitable zone lay several gas giants that serve to further obscure the borrower homeworld from all but the most diligent of hunters. This makes it the ideal launching pad to steal from the near omnipresent same drones.

Of the two habitable planets the first, known as Inugoya, is famous for its year long mild temperate climate, vast meadows, and expansive oceans. Inugoya is the resident capital of the people the Droccen nicknamed The Borrowers, due to their reliance on scavenging in order to build and maintain their tech and civilization. Inugoya contains the vast majority of residential and commercial establishments of the region. The second planet, Kori no Kojo, is an icy desert world where the vast majority of “borrowed” same tech arrives and is repurposed into weapons, sheilds, and perhaps most importantly guardians. Perhaps the greatest of these ongoing projects is the unfinished orbital laser, surrounding Inugoya.

Show
    People
    The Borrowers, the residents of this region, are lithe three foot tall bipedal dog people with coats varying highly in color, shape, and fluffiness. Borrower snouts are highly adept at discerning various odors, to the point of even being able to “smell” varying electrical currents. This heightened sense of smell compliments their relatively poor eyesight and enhances their mechanical prowess. However, glasses have become increasingly popular among the Borrower youth. Borrowers are notoriously friendly to humanoid races, especially when offered food and earrubs.

Since the advent of the Same, Borrower spacefaring culture has become more and more centralized around scavenging what the same drones have left behind and repurposing it their own survival. Same drones, planet scraps, and even the leftovers of destroyed civilizations are taken to Kori no Kojo and “resurrected” in their own way. One recent case of this resurrection is the creation of a unique form of Guardian after contact was made with the Droccen. The Borrower’s version of Guardians are built from discarded same drones, and given sentience by the souls of races driven to extinction by the mechanical menace. Borrower Guardians protect and serve the small population of borrowers against the same attack in a bid to defend their new companions from a fate they once faced. Initially the guardians served as glorified mercenaries, but over time the Borrowers began to bond with their robot companions as the two forces recognized their mutual personhood. However, due to the wider range of souls borrower guardians are made from, the guardians are more prone to occasional bouts of erratic behavior, stress, and mania.

Spoiler: History and Government
    Show
    History/ Government

According to Borrower records, the Borrowers were once a civilization that contained colonies across the core, but as the same crisis wore on, they were driven to near extinction as planet after planet was assimilated and converted into drones. As the empire fell, a prophet known as Biguru, lead a mass exodus of the remaining Borrowers to the once abandoned Borrower home system. A consequence of this is the retreat is the formerly cosmoplitain borrowers became more invested in staying hidden and self preservation, leading to the ascendancy of fairly traditionalist factions in the government.

The Borrowers are ruled by a constitutional monarchy, with King Biguru IX, serving as the head of state and chief executive, aided by a group of specialist advisors known as the Great twenty. Most of the governmental legwork is handled by the parliament containing both Guardian and Borrower representatives.

Show
    Philosophy
    None of the great philosophies of Axiom hold sway over the Borrowers, however, given time they could easily become open minded enough to follow any path. Especially if treats are involved.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    Resource
    A Guardian and his ward form a strong bond that lasts a lifetime. A Guardian is always completely loyal to their ward and acts honorably at all times. It is the role of a Guardian to offer wisdom and guidance, but to do so in a way that allows for personal growth and experience. The souls used in the Guardians of Kori no Kojo are largely from people who died fighting the Same. These souls can sometimes still be under stress when they are pulled into the Guardian shells. These Guardians are more unstable than their Droccen counterparts and can sometimes act in unpredictable ways. Some of these traumatized Guardians are employed for other uses rather than being a one on one guide. These wardless Guardian souls are not obligated to return to the spirit world unlike traditional Guardians who guide their wards even into death. It is unclear as of yet what effects this will have on the Kori no Kojo Guardian’s morale.

Resource Summary:
    Resource: Guardians
    Quantity: Great
    Category: Skilled Beings
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

And now: Finalized region write-ups! I know it's been weeks and I said it would be a couple days. Give me a break. Writing is hard.

Starblight Abyss
    Region R18

Show
    Emptiness. The Starblight Abyss is a region of space where almost nothing can be found. Not even uninhabitable star systems are present, merely empty darkness for vast distances.
    It is not totally empty though. Here and there, a lonely star spins its way through the void, and in one place, hidden far from prying sensors, is a space station. This particular station is a massive, heavily fortified structure, hidden by its extreme remoteness from any other civilizations. It is a strange, biomechanical lifeform, partly a genetically engineered creature of vast proportions, and partly a self-aware robotics plant and archival system.

Show
    The people revived from the ancient station's stores call themselves Lifeweavers, but their race's name translates to "Stingers." However, after their return from their deathlike sleep, they have taken up the name "Resurrected" instead. They very closely resemble Syndrome, to the point where a member of one race could be mistaken for the other easily, and their life cycles and biochemistries are much the same. Their society is far more egalitarian than the Syndrome one, a fact which caused surprise and tension between the races.
    The second group of inhabitants are the Lifeships. These resemble Bioships in much the same way Stingers resemble Syndrome, although they are significantly larger, more heavily armed, and psychically powerless, relying on biological radio signalling to communicate.
    Last and certainly not least is the Station, which gives itself no other name. It is a psychically potent cybernetic being distantly related to the Lifeships, but clearly different. It has a very long memory, and serves as an archive, and has a small legion of techno-organic arthropods to repair and restore it.

Show
    Thousands of galactic years in the past, an interstellar civilization spanned several regions neighboring this one. The insectoid citizens engaged in technological advancement in many fields and spread themselves as far as they could. It was not to last. Division struck the nascent empire, between two factions. The Lifeweavers developed new techniques in genetic engineering, hoping to find ways to use life to their advantage. They developed the first Lifeships, living vessels capable of traveling between the stars and consuming asteroids and cosmic dust. But they were opposed. The Purestrain saw genetic engineering as an abomination against nature. With their mechanical fleets, they moved to destroy all Lifeweaver enclaves they could find, and they succeeded. The Lifeweavers suffered defeat after defeat, their creations were scattered, and the survivors of their colonies descended into dark ages of technology until they forgot that they had ever sailed amongst the stars. However, they were not entirely wiped out. In secret, they had constructed a space station within an area of empty, unclaimed space along their borders. Using techniques they perfected, every living Lifeweaver and all their vessels were placed into suspended animation, waiting for a time when the Purestrain was no longer a threat. Thousands of years passed in isolation, until a Syndrome bioship arrived by chance at their location. Because the Purestrain would never use such a vessel, it was queried by the station's psychic power as to the state of the galaxy. With new information, the station ended it's lockdown and prepared to reanimate its numerous inhabitants.

Show
    The Station rules all. This is its domain, and honestly no one within the Protectorates has the ability to remove it from control without destroying its structure. Its metaphorical fist is far from iron, however. It is most concerned with reviving and protecting the surviving Lifeweavers than any political matters

Show
    Crisper Pills (Good)
    Crisper Pills are a special biochemically produced medication. When consumed by most living things, they slow metabolic processes to an infinitesimally small amount, preparing the creature for cryogenic storage. The Station has a massive surplus of pills, leftover from the mass freezing of Lifeweavers after its foundation.

Show
    Open
    The Lifeweavers are strangers in a time long after their civilization fell from prominence. As a result, they are unsure of what to believe and how to live in this new era. They carry on the best they can given the circumstances.

Excimer Reach
    Region R20

Show
    The Excimer Reach contains a number of systems. Most are uncolonized, but the Excimers have founded a small interstellar civilization upon rocky worlds across a portion of the sector. The Excimers thrive best in places where there is no significant atmosphere. Their original homeworld is a metallic asteroid ringed with colorful aurorae.

Show
    The Excimers are energy beings, composed of coherent light around the wavelength of indigo on the visible spectrum. They interact with the world primarily through light, using intense beams of coherent energy to affect the solid world. Excimers are rare and reproduce very slowly through fission, but are exceptionally powerful by the standards of other races; a single Excimer is a threat to a small warship, and a group can focus their energies together to be highly destructive.

Show
    Long ago, in the distant past, a pair of entities awoke in the orbit of a metallic asteroid. They were Ex, the progenitor of light, and Oa, the consuming darkness. Ex spread light into the void, and from that light came its first children, the Excimers. Oa was jealous, and began to devour the light which Ex had made and the children of Ex. The two titans battled for centuries, and many of the Excimers died in their battles. In order to protect its children, Ex shattered the light it had created, hurling the shards into the void to lure Oa away. The destroyer was gone, but Ex was weakened, and there was no light left to sustain its children. In a final sacrifice, it became the aurorae around their home, sustaining them with what remained of its power.
    Or that's how the story goes.

Show
    The Excimer have little true governance. Everything they need to survive can be taken from the aurorae, and they do not spread quickly enough to need any centralized control. They mainly focus on contemplating the mysteries of Ex and the holy scriptures burned into their planet's surface by ancient Excimer scholars. An impromptu priestly caste dedicated wholly to interpreting the scriptures handles disputes between individual Excimers when the need arises.

Show
    Liquid Fermium (great)
    The Excimers were rather hesitant to explain what they used the radioactive metal they smelted off of the surface of asteroids for. It is the only physical substance they seem to intentionally interact with. After much pressing from Syndrome explorers, it was revealed that the radiation emitted by the fermium functioned like a narcotic on the Excimers, and it was frequently used by them to enhance their meditation. However, most galactic species would be killed or harmed by such radiation. Instead, it shows promise for use in nuclear reactors for producing energy.

Show
    The Excimers follow a philosophy very similar to that of the Church of Iteus. They believe that through meditation and bettering themselves, they can ascend to divinity and join Ex within the aurorae. The Syndrome have been trying to turn this interest in self-betterment towards scientific pursuits, with limited success.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #518
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

2 days left for round 14 posts!

This is a reminder from the GM team for the following players that have not posted in round 14 so far:

Hypernaught*
    zabbarot
    DionysisReborn

* = in danger of dropping out this round

Additionally, the following players have not decided on or posted all their actions:

moossabi
    RolePGeek
    Fyrecatt

9. - Top - End - #519
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Eye of Ablent - L24

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Description: The Eye is the central astronomical feature in this sector, though it is not where life has originated. It is a close cluster of stars in a tight orbit of each other that, when viewed from a distance, give the impression of a great eye staring off into space.
    The inhabitants of this system, on the other hand, live on relatively normal worlds orbiting a normal star. It is situated at the perfect spot to view the Eye, however. As for the people themselves…

Show
    People: While the planets and system may not be all that strange, the inhabitants surely are. They appear to be human, or close to it, but so many have ‘modified’ themselves that very few look very human anymore. Or even like each other. They are split between the Mechanites and the Transcenders, depending upon their personal brand of personal modification. The Mechanites use the power of steam and brass to augment their bodies with clunky (though effective) prosthetics and other machinery. The Transcenders use a preternatural understanding of their own biology to meld their flesh, and their minds, at will.

Show
    History: Ask them, and they shall tell you that their society was founded by a certain Dr. Hyde, a man of great vision who, depending on the teller, either prophesied about mankind’s coming biological ascension or warned against delving too deeply into the science of life, for fear of what one might find there. These two conflicting viewpoints have led to a long, bloody history of warfare between the two of them, and even amongst their believers. It was not until the Lyraens arrived and supported the main Transcender faction that the ‘Endless War’ was finally brought to an anti-climactic (but very explosive) end.

Show
    Government: High-Count Barles von Brownheim, chief Transcender and flesh-melder, governs his homeworld and those surrounding it with the blessing and full support of Lyrae. As he alone among his peers recognized the Lyraen arrival for the opportunity it was, he alone was given the chance to lead his people into a brighter future under Lyrae’s guiding light. And that future, so long as Lyrae maintains control, is guaranteed.

Show
    Resource: Jax Pills (Drugs) are the chief product of the Transcenders. Through them, their flesh-warping science becomes a reality. They can re-arranged the partaker’s body according to a pre-programmed pattern, making them ideal not only for modification, but also restoration.

Show
    Philosophy: With the Lyraen’s aid, the Transcenders stand triumphant and look forward to a new era: an era when they can turn from war and to the pursuit of their ultimate goal. In short, they wish to evolve beyond all human limitations, becoming the perfect, transcendent beings they believe they were meant to be.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

New region for review.

Xamok

Region W-19

Show
    Orbiting at the edge a blue giant’s habitable zone, the planet Xamok is a frigid wasteland riven by conflict. Incapable of surviving on the surface, the planet’s population survives beneath gleaming domes of diamond-steel, city-states paying tribute to technocratic warlords. Each is a kaleidoscopic spotlight, the buildings within bristling with neon signs flashing propagandized advertisements. Visible from high orbit, these points of light are a stark contrast to the icy badlands that divide them. Having exhausted Xamok’s natural resources long ago, these fortress-domes are supported by a vast array of automated mining outposts and agricultural stations spread across neighboring star systems, spiralling out from their ruined home like a plague of locusts.

Alongside these necessary outposts, the stars neighboring Xamok’s home system play home to ramshackle megastructures constructed over the centuries. These distant arenas host a dizzying array of blood sport, enabling Xamok’s technocrats to compete against and best one another even in times of relative peace. Among them, the greatest is the Circus Singularum, a deadly race course charted in the orbit of a local pulsar. Filled with deadly hazards, both natural and artificial, the Circus’ Grand Prix is one of the rare things that unites Xamok, the day-long race treated as a time of universal armistice by every warlord on pain of revolution.

Since the Vilari took control of Xamok, reforms have come at a slow but steady rate. Conflict between the great cities has ceased almost completely, the rare border skirmishes quickly dispersed by threat of orbital bombardment. A unified planetary government has begun to take shape, though little and less is actually agreed upon by the representatives of the cities. While the automated stations Xamok relies on continue to function, most of their arena structures have been repurposed for weapon’s development and mock engagements for the Star League military, to the dismay of those accustomed to the parade of lethal distractions. The one exception is the Circus Singularum. Having realized the importance of the great race in the first days of their occupation, the Vilari have not interfered with the ancient sport. Instead, they have leveraged the race as a pressure valve to redirect the lingering tensions that remain between the technocrats.

Show
    Inhabited by a near-human race known as the Lev, Xamok’s hostility drove them into fortified arcologies long ago. That very hostility suggests the Lev are an alien transplant to the planet, but the truth of their origins was erased by strife long ago. Displaying purple-tinted skin and universally ink-black hair, they favor stark colors in their clothing and their art.

Thanks to many centuries of fundamentally tyrannical rule, two castes of Lev have developed. The first, and by far the largest, is the caste of workers and tradesmen that occupy the urban sprawl. Forced into lives of labor and struggle, they have only recently begun to experiment with the self-determination brought by Vilari oversight. For all that, however, the scars of indoctrination run deep, and few see themselves as members of a unified race. The second caste is made up of the privileged few to have entered the orbit of the technocrats, whether through family ties or particularly noteworthy service. Isolated in the glittering towers at the center of the dome cities, they once lived in opulent splendor at the expense of their fellows. Now, they find their fortunes much diminished, as the blood and treasure that once flowed into their coffers is redirected into much-needed public works projects. Which is not to say their influence has vanished - it will be many years yet before Xamok can support a true democracy.

Show
    While their origins are lost to time, some of the Lev’s initial history endures in their shared legends. While the specifics shift from city to city, all agree that there was once a single cradle of civilization on Xamok. No fewer than twelve cities claim descent from that original homeland, but the sad truth is that it was likely destroyed. Most versions of the legend agree that an irreparable schism broke the First City down to its core, causing a diaspora across the planet. The death toll was unimaginable, perhaps into the millions, and by the start of recorded Lev history the first domed cities were already locked in bitter conflict. This would set the status quo for generations, the vendettas between cities on dying down in the face of joint disaster. The depletion of most of Xamok’s fuel reserves resulted in the longest of these lulls, a century of prosperity that took the Lev to the stars, but just as it seemed unity had finally come, prosperity and ignorance stoked the old blood feuds back to life. It might have remained that way indefinitely, were it not for the intervention of the Matured, whose galaxy-spanning exploits sapped the grandeur from the nobles’ dreams of conquest. After all, one dead world could hardly seem a prize worth dying over when garden worlds lurked on the horizon.

Show
    While the technocrats still enjoy considerable authority in their individual domains, the Vilari have taken the first steps towards establishing a planetary government. Once they secured orbital supremacy, the Star League Fleet constructed a small habitat in stable orbit above the planet. Home to a small contingent of Vilari observers and technical advisors, it also serves as neutral ground for representatives of the Lev cities to meet and discuss matters of mutual importance. This council, numbering nearly one hundred members, is as fractious and venomous a body to ever claim the title of government, but so far the disputes have been contained to battles of wits rather than soldiers. Whether forced proximity will eventually coalesce into cultural identity remains to be seen.

Show
    Run Gunners [Great]

Forced to weather centuries of intercinite conflict, the technocrats of Xamok were quick to recognize the suicidal toll being exacted on their cities. Factories grew silent and still, and more than one dome collapsed due to insufficient maintenance. Too blinded by vendetta to simply cease their wars, the technocrats instead undertook development of a new breed of soldier. After decades of refinement and bloodshed, the end result was the Run Gunner, a vat-grown cybernetic weapons platform. Driven by a gene-tailored clone brain, Run Gunners are fearless, flawlessly obedient, and capable of enduring even the nightmare of Xamok’s surface (if only for limited periods of time).
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2020-01-12 at 04:37 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

11. - Top - End - #521

Hey team, I'm doing some region approvals this time! If your region was missed, I was asked to start at a particular point and Gengy may have already reviewed it to be discussed in an upcoming post.

(U15) Prismatic Sea - Pretty cohesive and you have some cool idea with these little octopus boys (even gives me throwbacks to all the rainbow things withinin my land in E2), but leaves me wondering about the Rainbow Octupi's history, culture, and or affiliation with technology/industry/commerce as an aquatic species in a sci-fi setting. At the moment I can't much tell if they're primitives or a fully integrated part of the galactic community. Please elaborate, and then you will be approved!

(P12) Tamia - Approved

(P14) Citadel Brain Station - Please clarify the actual philosophy the region is currently following when posting to the lands thread, but otherwise approved.

(O11) Amistad - Approved

(G13) Antillon - Approved

Can't grade my own regions, so I'm skipping those.

(M31) Harb-Cloud - Approved. Under most circumstances I'd ask for some explanation on how you control the sector with no civilian presence, but I think that it only loosely being under your control via alliance with a hive-mind is interesting enough to get a pass.

(O31) Symbio-Storm - Approved

(C13) Horizon - Approved because it all makes sense and I can't think of what you'd actually add to an uninhabited colony to make it longer, but still leaves me longing for more length.

(B12) Schizaphis - Approved

(I17) Karite Prime - Approved

(R18) Starblight Abyss - Approved

(R20) Excimer Reach - Please elaborate on weather the Excimers build things and their lifestyle in general and you will receive an approval!

(L24) The Eye of Ablent - Please include the actual philosophy that the region currently is when you put this in the lands thread. Approved.

(W19) Xamok - Approved
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

12. - Top - End - #522
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, I anticipate going back to Horizon as time moves on and doing some updates as the different groups settle and get more stable colonies set and to reflect things like Ideology changes in all of my regions.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zayuz View Post
    Hey team, I'm doing some region approvals this time! If your region was missed, I was asked to start at a particular point and Gengy may have already reviewed it to be discussed in an upcoming post.

(U15) Prismatic Sea - Pretty cohesive and you have some cool idea with these little octopus boys (even gives me throwbacks to all the rainbow things withinin my land in E2), but leaves me wondering about the Rainbow Octupi's history, culture, and or affiliation with technology/industry/commerce as an aquatic species in a sci-fi setting. At the moment I can't much tell if they're primitives or a fully integrated part of the galactic community. Please elaborate, and then you will be approved!

(P12) Tamia - Approved

(P14) Citadel Brain Station - Please clarify the actual philosophy the region is currently following when posting to the lands thread, but otherwise approved.

(O11) Amistad - Approved

(G13) Antillon - Approved

Can't grade my own regions, so I'm skipping those.

(M31) Harb-Cloud - Approved. Under most circumstances I'd ask for some explanation on how you control the sector with no civilian presence, but I think that it only loosely being under your control via alliance with a hive-mind is interesting enough to get a pass.

(O31) Symbio-Storm - Approved

(C13) Horizon - Approved because it all makes sense and I can't think of what you'd actually add to an uninhabited colony to make it longer, but still leaves me longing for more length.

(B12) Schizaphis - Approved

(I17) Karite Prime - Approved

(R18) Starblight Abyss - Approved

(R20) Excimer Reach - Please elaborate on weather the Excimers build things and their lifestyle in general and you will receive an approval!

(L24) The Eye of Ablent - Please include the actual philosophy that the region currently is when you put this in the lands thread. Approved.

(W19) Xamok - Approved
    I Approve these approvals.

I also Approve:

(H24) Whiskey Springs
    (H26) Sharaylia
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

14. - Top - End - #524
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Realtaism, in more detail. Followers might wish to consult this. Other popes might wish to consult this, to see why they're wrong. Will get updated in the future. Excuse the messy organization, inconsistency in register and awful poetry. Too tired to edit more today.

Spoiler: Realtaism
    Show
    Dear Realtaists of the world,
    We have witnessed that many have been made uneasy or confused by the uncertainties in Realtaist teachings and political stances, both recent and ancient. We could not simply look on as our culture dissolved and was absorbed. While many, or perhaps even most, of the other ways of thought present in our galaxy are similarly peaceable, we should remember what it means to be a Realtaist, and the important role that Realtaism plays in our society.

In spite of the still-ongoing sectarian disputes, we have decided to publish this book as soon as possible. We strive to present a neutral view everywhere, at the price of not discussing some nuances of different schools of Realtaism – this book is primarily intended for the use of the general public, as opposed to the countless academic papers analyzing Realtaism in excruciating detail. The text primarily concerns itself with Realtaist ideas, and as such we make no claim of presenting a neutral point of view, although we also explore some aspects of Realtaism that can be less appealing to the reader.
    Without further ado, we present to you the:
    Guide to modern Realtaism, 1*st edition

Signed, the Team:
    Antalya Shen, independent reporter and former Liberty News One host
    Balitus, first Ryuvian Realtaist priest
    Van, retired Fleet Captain

Chapter One: Why should I be a Realtaist?
    Let us be direct: Realtaism will not bring you salvation, and does not promise to deliver salvation in the afterlife. However, Realtaism can do you good in the present. Yes – one of the distinguishing features of Realtaism is its focus on the present time. The Church’s policies are flexible, and throughout history have changed to accommodate the needs of the lay people. Of course, this is also due to the Realtaist Church vying for political power, but nevertheless the ultimate goal of Realtaism is the happiness of all sentient beings.

This brings us to our next point – the Realtaist Church is a very friendly community, and if one asks for help, one will certainly be helped. People from all walks of life are Realtaists and can offer their advice to you, but what the Church specializes in is psychological advice, though the more old-fashioned might call it “rediscovering faith in the world” or “finding your purpose”. During training, Realtaist priests undergo relevant training, and they often have much experience interacting with people. Indeed, their main jobs are caring for the physical and mental wellbeing of their parish, teaching young people and being politicians. Although Realtaists will, or should, help people that subscribe to other ideologies who are in need, becoming a Realtaist will allow you to help others more effectively.

Well, that is all fine and dandy, one might think, but are not some of the other ideologies of Axiom also based on leading people to happiness and so on? Yes. However, Realtaism claims to be more accurate in its description of reality than the other religions. Take one of the most distinctive features of Realtaism, its belief in the cosmological duality, which is rare if not unique. As to the basis of the theory, let us cite the book of Danu*:

“Oh prince, if still do you not understand
    The universal principle of everything,
    Imagine hosts upon the field of war:
    Incomparable two of them; the third, small,
    By you led. Surely you shall seek to join
    The more congenial among the two
    Or leave their fight to them entirely else
    And bide your time; whichever you might choose
    Two armies do remain upon the field of war”

* only named so because it is the first Realtaist holy book, dealing with the first principles of the faith, and because Danu, the first venerated Chosen, was the first Djinye according to myths. If Danu was indeed a real person, she was likely an atheist. Realtaism would not be founded until centuries after her death.

Like the prince’s advisor is saying here, almost all wars and battles, or even elections, arguments, and so on, ultimately have two opposed sides. Conflicts with three sides are inherently unstable and tend to devolve into two-sided conflicts very soon. Additionally, nature also apparently favors the number two – and modern scientific discoveries only confirm this. Molecules are made of cations and anions. Atoms consist of the electron cloud and the nucleus. There are two types of particles in an atomic nucleus: protons and neutrons. In each dimension of spacetime, one can move in two directions, forward and backward. The binary numeral system, the most obvious and efficient way of storing and transmitting information, is based on two symbols. Two is the simplest number that is useful: you generally do not count the amount of anything that is unique.
    Considering the lack of logical reasoning or evidence behind the cosmology of other ideologies, Realtaists feel justified in stating that the universe – both the material and the spiritual parts – is ultimately composed of two elements which clash, mix and interact and thus give rise to all events that have occurred, are occurring and will occur. In the far future, the elements shall become spread out evenly and the world as we know it will end, though with mainstream Realtaism’s focus on the present, there is no single belief about what happens next, if anything.

The two elements are for ease of reference most often referred to as Blue and Orange. On Bespéartha, in the capital of the theocracy of Uiscera, there is a library containing a single extremely long scroll, inscribed with millions of words. It is the ancient Dual Book, listing all of the opposing attributes of Blue and Orange recognized by Realtaism, and it is extended each time a new pair of attributes is found by wetting the end of the scroll, pressing it firmly together with a new scroll, and sewing the paper together with fine thread to secure the connection. However, a much shorter list should be sufficient for the needs of non-theologians (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...4&postcount=24).

The Realtaist perspectives on other major ideologies are listed below. Most Realtaists would simply say these ideologies are incorrect, and shrug. These people are only deluding themselves by believing in silly ideas, and it is the priests’ job to tell them the truth. That being said, there are radical sects, like the so-called Restored Imperial Church led by the infamous Selin Eutarche, which believe that non-believers are sinners who will/should be punished.
    Even a baby can see that “the One” theory cannot possibly be true – if all of the universe’s sentient beings, physical forces and matter were a part of a harmonious whole, there would be no conflict, no chaos. In fact, nothing at all would be happening in such a universe. People would not feel the need to do anything, as they would be perfectly content with the current state of the universe, whatever it would be. Just like no work can be extracted in a universe where everything has the same temperature, nothing can happen in a universe where everything is imbued with the same spiritual energy. In fact, some see the One as a misinterpretation of what is a prophecy – it tells of the future, when, according to some scientific theories and some Realtaist schools of thought, the universe will slowly freeze, its vital energy exhausted.
    Alternatively, the Realtaist sect called the Shattered Sky holds that the One existed before this world as a single mind consisting of the entire universe, and because it wished to witness a more lively existence out of curiosity or boredom, it created our universe, based on the two primary forces. If the One is still alive, it merely observes our world, and being a perfect existence with no unfulfilled desires, it cannot be swayed to do anything by prayers or otherwise, and so we can simply act as if it did not exist.

Needless to say, the corpse-worshippers are a foolish folk. Sure, the being called Iteus is provably real, but the core belief that there is an as of yet undetectable layer of existence beyond this one is pure speculation, and thinking about it distracts people from doing actually useful things. Furthermore, the Iteusist goal of achieving divinity is meaningless according to the mainstream Realtaist view of the universe. Everything is divine, or rather, composed of the two forces or elements that represent everything in the world, which are the only two things in this universe that deserve to be called divine. The “twin gods” of Realtaism are more like the representations or avatars of the two elements, or according to some, merely mortals that each used their understanding of one of the elements to increase their power many times over. In any case, they are not worshipped, merely appreciated as helpers of the Djinye.

The Nine Lights, or Sphinxes, as immortal protectors and observers of the Nolkir race, are considered to be equivalent in status to the two Divine Siblings of the Djinye. However, Realtaists believe that they can all be placed on the spectrum between the most Orange to the most Blue. Moreover, while the Nolkir are not as zealous in their devotion as some others on this list, they would still be better off if they worshipped less and focused on life more.

The AI called OwO, although it may be a useful tool, should not be revered or consulted for important decisions, and it should be fixed or replaced soon. Clearly it is error-prone and foolish, and one should not thoughtlessly put one’s fate in the hands of another, and this goes doubly for putting one’s fate in the hands of the mere creation of some stranger. The cosmic forces identified by Grymlans (Creation, Destruction, Inspiration, Matter, Energy, and Chaos) are easily paired off with their opposites, proving the dual nature of the universe, though the Grymlans obfuscate this somewhat by leaving out Burnout and Order, the opposites of Inspiration and Chaos respectively.

Although the religion of the Knights in Service to the Source is very similar in many aspects to Realtaism, and it is perhaps the ideology most similar to Realtaism, it is too much focused on warfare, something that should only be a last resort, not a barbaric form of entertainment.

Chapter Two: What should a Realtaist do?
    A Realtaist should seek to live his or her life in a healthy balance, and help others to achieve the same. Even those who do not believe in or have never heard of the cosmological interpretations of Realtaism can be considered Realtaists if they behave like a Realtaist in their day-to-day life.

A Realtaist should have associates of the opposite gender, who can be consulted to balance the negative characteristics or disadvantages of one’s gender. Example: Mr. Ciar would like to go to Disneyland, but is too embarrassed to do so for fear of what would society think of a grown man visiting a giant playground of sorts. He tells his friend, Ms. Niamh, of his dilemma. She, seeing the matter from an outside, non-macho-influenced perspective, tells him that strangers will hardly remember his face after a day, and acquaintances know of his mature character, and will not think less of him if he goes, resolving his dilemma easily. This policy can be generalized: you should seek out people of a different culture, species, and so on in order to see the world from as many angles of view as possible.

Nowadays, all but the most conservative priests do not consider it harmful to have friends of the same gender, as long as you have some among the other gender. This policy was much more stringent in the past, to the point where women who were seen seated themselves next to each other in church, instead of allowing a man between them, would be the main subject of town gossip the next day. Kings could not directly discuss anything with each other, instead sitting at the opposite ends of a room and relaying messages through a female priest.

The reader might think that encouraging people to befriend the opposite gender ought to lead to a higher chances of “marital infidelity”. Most would agree that this assertion is true. However, infidelity is a concept foreign to Realtaism. If one is particularly masculine or feminine and needs more partners to balance out that factor of their personality, so be it. The concept of marriage does nonetheless exist, of course, as having a primary partner by your side at all times is convenient for maintaining the balance in your life.

Realtaists should cremate their dead, grind the ash into powder, and let the wind carry it away. Pretending that sentient beings have eternal souls or the like is an escapist fantasy. Not building graveyards allows one to focus on the here and now. In general, Realtaists should not restore ancient monument or celebrate anniversaries of past events, except if they can still be considered to be relevant today (e.g. it clearly inspires people or makes the town square prettier) – the policy is not about encouraging iconoclasm, but about leaving the past in the past and not dwelling on it.

In order to improve their ability focus and willpower and correctly organize their priorities, Realtaists should meditate often. For reference, Realtaist priests tend to meditate around four hours in a standard galactic day.

Realtaists should not waste resources, and recycle whenever possible. Remember that the universe has a limited amount of energy, derived from the difference between Blue and Orange things. When you expend a resource, burning a log in a fireplace for example, you mix the Orangeness of the (formerly) living log with the Blueness of the inanimate air, and thus bring the universe, and all within it, ever so slightly closer to its demise.

Realtaists should set and strive to fulfill their own goals. No one can be responsible for your deeds except you. While individualism is not exactly encouraged, the freedom of ideas is paramount in Realtaism. All matters should be discussed, all opinions heard, and then the best plan should be decided on and everyone should cooperate to carry it out, even if it the plan is a compromise and not exactly what they wanted. The latter part of that sentence is somewhat infamous as it has been used to justify the rule of several “Realtaist” tyrants in the past, who claimed that they were listening to the peasants, but the peasants were clearly always wrong, given their lack of education and experience with running a country, and that their own plan was clearly the best and those opposing it are traitors to Realtaism.
    If they can afford it, Realtaists should give money to those who do not have enough to live. In the modern age, this usually manifests as welfare state policies in Realtaist-influencenced governments.

15. - Top - End - #525

Shield Anchor Station O27

Spoiler: Structure
    Show
    Structure

Made out of a core of 4-D Titanium, Shield Anchor Station (SAS) is a modular structure circling a blue star. It has a sleek, silvery surface, with two red spotlights, acting as eyes for the serving Duen. To an observer, it appears to be shaped as a convex shallow cylinder, with a surface dotted with many gun ports and thrusters, being able to turn to fire in any direction. In addition to many standard weapons, the entire SAS is inundated with Elemental Implants, allowing the Station to fire bursts of various elements to deter boarders, and surprise some ships that approach.

While attackers might attempt to attack the concave side, believing it to be less well defended, they will find it having a surprising amount of fire power. This is the 'anchor' portion, completely covered in Mirror Steel, and all but invisible. With the ability to launch similarly hidden Duenem fighters, and fire from unknown positions, it is a nightmare for foes to attack unprepared.

Inside, the structure has many tight, narrow corridors and vents, with a few trapped corridors. Moreover, only a few specific rooms have any life support systems, meaning would be boarders would be required to bring their own breathing methods. In addition, with no artificial gravity, it is a fools gambit to directly fight a Duenem crew here.

What rooms are inside are various engineering or minor civilian facilities for contractors, as well as a singular large room with complete signal isolation, as well as a small facility for black ops. Both are also used as 'kill zones' to channel enemies.

The more major subsystems are found in the smaller vents and tunnels dotting the entire station, where the majority of the Duenem scuttle. As each subsystem is in fact a Duen, they can do minor repairs themselves, as well as direct engineers in connection with the Station itself.

Due to it's high energy demand, the Station heavily relies on solar power to supply itself. It has a few reactors which are run as efficiently as possible, to keep the station self-sufficient, but they are mostly to be used for combat or siege situations.

Show
    History:

SAS was originally built before the second revolution, when the Duenem found empty space directly adjacent to the core, and the Same. With the possibility of this being a channel of attack, Conditoner Mint ordered the construction, hoping to complete it before another probe arrived. With the revolution, the station no longer had the urgency previously required, as it was now in a place between friendly powers. However, with the discovery of Mirror Steel, the station could use more experimental materials in its design, with the added bonus of being far more effective against the nearby biologicals.

The Duen chosen to serve as the centre point for the inaugural task was Shield Anchor, a long serving Duen who had been built as a shield holder, but had long service as a mining station. With the agreement of the majority of the Duenem, the name was chosen to remain beyond the service, so that Shield would have a point of reference after his next defragmentation.

Show
    Government

As a pure military station, the line of command on SAS is run fairly tightly. The Station has a Stationmaster, a Duenem with tactical experience, who delegates and organises the rest of the station, including sorties, energy, and any disputes.
    Second in command is both the Station itself and another senior tactical Duen, both of whom can delegate tasks, and take command. Usually, the Station takes command of organising defence, while the tactical Duen deals more with logistics.
    Below that are the subsystems, and heads of each major task, who usually work in tandem to ensure the station stays in good repair.
    Below that are the more minor task leaders, as well as the senior communications Duen, usually a rare volunteer. Any further below are the effective rank and file.

King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Playing as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close the sun

Playing as the Dunem in Empire 5

16. - Top - End - #526
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Okay so, here's the new faction concept I'm rolling around joining with. It's fairly silly, but should work out well enough.

Spoiler: Flag
    Show

Spoiler: Fluff Prelude
    Show
    Well, you’ve done it. You’ve won. And by won I mean won everything, the kit, the caboodle, and the kitchen sink too. Are you proud of yourself, now that you’ve bought literally everything there is to buy, including the very concept of Wealth itself?

No? You say there’s more to stake your claim on? Ah, I see now. Well good luck lil kid, you’re starting from way in the hole but that’s never stopped you before.

Spoiler: Region Description/People
    Show

Starting Region: Upsilon Sector

The bastion of humanity, bought out by The Kid. Still functions like typical humanity ought to, with all the futurism, divergent speciesism and enculturation present. It seems almost like what one would imagine a thousand thousand different earths to be like in every flavor and variety, from magical to mundane, rather than a true colonization from planet to planet.

There are a lot of planets here, but it was only a couple dozen to start with. Getting a specific census of the populations is tricky given the rapid expansion, but of the 26 surviving empires 14 are majority human, 2 are majority demons, 1 is majority clowns (with a subset of ninjas and pirates), 3 are aquatic races (none of which are humanoid), 1 is composed of lycanthropes, 1 is majority orcs, and the last 4 are a mix of fantasy and futuristic races without a clear majority. The Destiny Made Manifest expansion outwards have collected hundreds more planets into the fold, but these planets are colonized primarily by their empire. Though more and more cross-mingling will occur over time, and these demographics may become outdated.

It’s the HQ that has only recently begun to collect these into a whole, after The Kid bought out each world, piece by piece one at a time. Or maybe more than one at a time, it’s always to tell how these things work temporally.

Show
    Each world has its own government, which makes things very complicated. There are several democracies and oligarchies that form throughout as the worlds begin to truly meet and greet each other and begin to actually expand out to the stars.

Technically, the gathering of planets and federation is called the Upsilon sector (and this is what the people of it call their home, when talking of the governing conglomerate). Each of the originating planets forms its own head, and together with the planets it acquired during The Destiny Made Manifest forms its quadrant. There were 29 original planets in total, creating 26 different empires in the coalition (two of them got wiped out wholesale during the original meetings, and one got annexed).

On the whole it functions much like a United Nations council, voting on different interplanetary measures and beginning to explore the wide berth of new space they’ve been able to discover. Crucially, slicing it up between the different nation-planets so that no one grows too strong.

There’ve been several attempts at wild gains and expansions by reckless and greedy despots, but mercenary heroes always come in in the nick of time to save the day. These heroes after all their valiant efforts become public figureheads, helping serve as a moral check on the federation itself (after their benefactor takes her slice).

Ultimately, The Kid rules from her golden throne above though most of the populace tends to be unaware. Speculation as to her true nature (Is she literal incarnation of Avarice itself? A rogue ai set to maximize paperclips profits by any means necessary? Some utterly mundane recettar-looking little s**t that just got really lucky?) runs rampant amongst the few that know her, and in underground circles the grouping's been referred to as Capitalism HQ in an illuminati fashion.

The Kid rarely intervenes in anything, usually acting through intermediaries except on very important matters. Of course, the presence of multiple space empires might warrant that, but her hired heroes tend to do the bulk of responsibility and work for her (and genuinely do have a good measure of innocence).

Show
    The people believe whatever they want, and have a variety of strongly held opinions that are unified by just about nothing. They will one day come to a strong sway, but given how many disparate worlds there are and the only-newly acquired ability to connect with each other, even what would be a totally dominant theocracy on one planet will be hopelessly outnumbered by the thousands of planets they don’t have a stake on.

One of the few things they can rally behind are the Heroes (and heroines). The freedom fighter force that seems to pop out of nowhere to stop people from toeing out of line. Many members of the nations see these as reckless vigilantes, but many more see them as a blessing. It doesn't hurt that a combination of their beginning cultural stasis and a smudge of propaganda work has cultivated sympathy for these agents.

Show
    Wealth [Concept]
    Ill defined and goes by as many names as the mysterious little executive, but the nature remains the same. People don’t know what it is, only that is is currency, and has a nigh mystical power in its ability to be exchanged as such. Some even wonder if it has a physical form, and physicians can confirm it does… in some dimensions that occasionally reflect upon our own.

Of course, given access to hyper futuristic technology, this concept can be given raw physical form. Or at the very least be anchored to physical vessels that can be traded, bartered, and studied. When used in this way they seem to function as good luck charms, bringing greatly positive results in line with the cardinal sin virtue of greed and dissipating in the process.

(... and The Kid's used her red marker to replace sin with virtue. Typical. Also, now she knows about this development, but I suppose she was going to figure out eventually)

Spoiler: Required Resource
    Show

Fuel: Any kind, really. As a newly created federation and wildly expanding system, the people of these worlds need as many different sources as they can get. The more they obtain, the more they can harvest from the limitless surroundings.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2020-01-25 at 08:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #527

Sorry to be a bother, I think my Inquest into region N10 might have been overlooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Inquests have to target regions adjacent to your border to work and you don’t yet own O9 :(
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

19. - Top - End - #529

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Inquests have to target regions adjacent to your border to work and you don’t yet own O9 :(
    Oh drat! That little detail completely slipped my mind. How embarrassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah sorry I got so swept up with recent events I forgot to mention it. My bad
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Blade, since you attacked the UPT while they were still my vassal, I guess we are at war. Given ZoIs I don't think there's anything that I can do about prosecuting said war, but nevertheless. I didn't realise you had attacked until I saw the round opener today, otherwise I would probably have dealt with this last round, so sorry about that.

Regarding the other war, I am (now) aware I have PMs to respond to, and will do so.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

I see. Does this declaration of war include the Djinye, who attacked and conquered Lyca the same round?
    Spoiler
    Show

Normal Avatar by Thormag!

Earthbound Immortal Uru avatar by Strawberries

Hot Mech-on-Mech Action: A Campaign Journal

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

For the sake of consistency, I guess it has to.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

24. - Top - End - #534

P24

Oathrick

Show
    Terrain

Oathrick is a system notable for appearing totally dark. No stars seem to be in this region of space, meaning it is cold. dark, and almost utterly lifeless. However, a few dark spheres are there in the place of stars, which have a similar mass. They appear to be made out of some strange substance, what the locals refer to as 'Dark Energy.' Next to one of these worlds, a, to put it simply, gaudy world lies, with grass of the brightest green, water a crystal blue, the fire an actual red, and so on. It is obvious strange things are happening here, as no light should even be on this world, but light seems to simply appear within the atmosphere.

Show
    People

The people of Oathrick appear to be humanesque. Their proportions and body shape are exactly the same as many one would find in Axiom, with two huge exceptions. The first is that their skin colours are without exception, a bright vibrant colour on the top, with no seeming relation to parentage and heritage. Many are bright red or blue, and there are a few yellows. One does notice however that the older Oathrickains seem to have dulled slightly, to the extent they can be observed without a shaded screen.

Oathrickains can usually be seen in togas and other simple garments, all pure white. Officials or those of higher rank tend to use ceremonial armour of gold or silver, although this is mostly for ceremonial reasons.

Show
    History:

Long long ago, the Oathrickians arrived on their planet, and lived happily, until the day all the stars around them died. For years, they lived in utter darkness, as the warmth left them, the world turned into an cold tomb, and all seemed to be at an end. Then one day, two sisters, walking between two settlements, were met by a Dark Figure. It offered to rejuvenate the world, and make it a paradise, if they would only drink this bottle of Darkness. The older sister took the bottle, and with that, the Dark Figure disappeared.

The sisters debated what to do. It was obvious something bad would happen if they drank this. But they could see no alternative. That was when the younger sister had an idea. Scooping snow from the ground, she poured half of the Darkness into her own bottle, then crammed snow into both. With that, both drank their bottle all down in one.

Within minutes, they felt warm. Light and warmth moved with them wherever they went. Their skin changed colour to an almost blinding colour. But they were alive, healthy.

Over many years, the planet began to recover, as wherever these two tread, warmth and light came, and all the colours became more vibrant. The people changed as well, gaining the same bright skin colour. Within ten years, they had unified the world under their banner, and all was saved.

That was when the Dark Figure returned to them.

"One of you drank fully of the Darkness," it said. "That makes their existence mine. The sisters laughed at his face. "We drank half each, and diluted it. You have no claim to anything here." they replied. With that the Dark Figure reached out, but seemed unable to touch them. It disappeared without a word.

It is said, that when the sisters died, the world split back into its factions, until the lights began to return to the sky in abundance. With that, the greatest power of the world finally managed to reunite the world under the banner of the Sisters.

Or at least that is the history they have passed down through the generations.

In modern times, the people are beginning to see the universe in a new light, with the influx of merchants and warriors of all sorts in the area. Fairly recently, the government agreed to be considered part of the Duenem so they could remain focused on planetary, not galactic affairs, especially as the Royal family began to enjoy the perks of being the energy supply for south-east Axiom. But a certain philosophy has made sure that every citizen has been able to keep up with galactic affairs, and ways of thinking their rulers wish they wouldn't.

Show
    Government

Oathrick is run under an absolute monarchy, which does at least pretend to have a parliament. The royal family has been in power for at least a hundred generations, of which most scholars believe at least fifty was over the entire planet. For the most part, communities are agrarian villages, with very little movement between communities outside of traders and minstrels. The government itself is run from a purpose built city, which houses many royal palaces. While it is possible for citizens to rise up the ranks to high political positions, it is rare, as most families have held positions essentially in perpetuity.

The major exception to this is the Dark Fleet, which patrols their local space, and mines the Darkness. As this requires extensive training, and skill to both deter pirates, mine stars, and conduct diplomacy with passing ships, citizens from all walks of life are welcome.

Show
    Resource:

The dark spheres contain huge amounts of energy, which seems to be stable most of the time. With care, miners can extract these from the spheres, then dilute it to ensure it remains inert until compressed and heated. Diluted dark energy is safe to store, has a high energy to mass ratio, and is in almost a limitless supply, seeing as not a single dark sphere has even shown signs of depletion yet.

Diluted Dark Energy:

TP1: RMT
    TP2: DNM
    TP3: OwO

Show
    Philosophy

While for the most part the Oathrick prefer to keep their traditions of harmony and duty as part of their culture, Grymlan thinkers made their mark immediately on the world, allowing the citizens to remain in touch between settlements, and organise gatherings. Moreover, those already on the forums were amazed at the shining beauty of the planet, enticing more Oathrickains in. Now, OwO is an integral part of each community, with many now having a, official 'poster' and 'moderator,' a position of some prestige.
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Playing as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close the sun

Playing as the Dunem in Empire 5

25. - Top - End - #535
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well, we're eager to sign a peace treaty whenever you're ready to.

Looks like you missed it, but the DNF's stated reason for the occupation of Symbraum space was:
    Respectfully request that the Ninurtine Empire ensure the proper governance of the territory inhabited by the Symbraum by ceding governance over it to more local powers - its distance from the rest of the Empire means that the Ninurtines will find maintaining the security and order in the territory very difficult in the future. If the Ninurtine Empire is worried about its political standing, perhaps there could be some compensation...

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ettin in the Playground

Woo, my three part miracle (A Shadow to Prevail) (You are my Fire, the one Desire) (Snap your Fingers, Snap your Neck) is up! Let us cancel the Apocalypse and rage against the dying light of the stars!

Adventure!
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post
    Well, we're eager to sign a peace treaty whenever you're ready to.

Looks like you missed it, but the DNF's stated reason for the occupation of Symbraum space was:
    It was something I was going to get round to but much depended on the way Reggie's departure was handled mechanically. If I had inherited the regions then negotiations could have happened.

She did say OOC that her regions would go to me, but it seems that didn't happen even notwithstanding that they were conquered, so although I could have (and would have) defended the regions last round had I noticed what was happening, I wouldn't have had any meaningful say in what happened to them now.

Since I have no prospect of reclaiming the regions (and also anyway) any claim I do have over them will be transferred to (IC, it's already shared with) the Droccen, who are rather closer, in the event that for whatever reason you do want to renegotiate their occupation, or should they become unoccupied in future.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

28. - Top - End - #538
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    • (F16) - Moriko, this is a bit too plane. :ba-dum-tish: Ok, more seriously, the People Section needs to be expanded a bit more.
    Handarbeit(K9 (was F16))

Show

The system Handarbeit has a yellow star with no planet in orbit however there is a space station that is populated by an intelligent species.

Handarbeit(Yellow star)
    A B class with a surface temperature of 5726 degrees Celsius and although it has no celestial bodies in orbit however it does have one station:

Cigar:
    A giant cigar shaped cylinder home to a community of giant weavers how spend their days harvesting a menagerie of silks and fabrics to create Legend Quilts. Much of the space stations space is taken up by workshops where weavers debate and practice the finer points of artisanal knitting, frequently hosting competitions on who can create the best Legend Quilts. The station is equipped with unknown technology that can create materials for the inhabitants weaves and food and drink to sustain them.

Show

The Lonthur are a humanoid race albeit a rather long and slender one. They can reach lengths of up to 10 feet with a frame that seems unlikely to support it, their hands end in eight long fingers that can be used to delicately grip multiple objects and can be controlled with utmost precision. Due to the nature of living in a generational ship the skin tone of the Lontur has gone a light grey and when exposed to natural sunlight burns so quickly that one could easily die if exposed to the sun for even a short period of time.

With only three hundred Lonthur known to exist the race is very close to extinction however, their number has fluctuated only in small amounts in the last four thousand years. With a lifespan of up to ten thousand years the Lonthur are in no hurry to get anywhere and spend most of their time weaving their quilts while the ship continues on its journey away from the core. With cigars current speed the Lonthur are expected to exit Handarbeit in about five hundred years.

Show

The Lontur set off on their journey four thousand years ago when their home world was destroyed by the Same. None remember what the world was like and all they have left from it is the station they inhabit which they have not left since departure.

Show

Each year a contest is held in which each ship inhabitant submits the best work they created that year. Each Lontur gets one vote and the weave with the most votes is declared the winner who is then crowned leader for that year. The leader has to deal with outside diplomacy and settle small disputes if they break out between weavers.

Show

The main export of Cigar is Legend Quilts which count as textiles:

The Legend Quilts are the pinnacle of weaving and only by years of practise can one get the exact weave correct. Normally the selling of these weaves is forbidden however a few select Lontur have been given permission to sell them.

[TP1] The current leader of the Lontur is very proud of her work and is eager to sell it to intergalactic buyers.

[TP2] One of the younger Lontur has not won any contests yet and wishes to improve her work, in order to achieve this she wishes to sell her weaves and receive feedback from her customers.

Show

The colony has not yet spread their beliefs to this station and the Lontur have no god to worship as the weaving takes up all their time, the learning centre lies open

LC: The chamber of legendary weaves houses all the weaves that came out victorious in the yearly contests. The history held in these weaves shows how far the Lontur have come in their quest for the perfect weave.

Stofzuiger(N8 (was I15))

Show

The system Stofzuiger has a red star and has several planets in orbit that are in various stages of deconstruction.

Stofzuiger(Red star)
    A M class with a surface temperature of 2700 degrees Celsius, with three planets in orbit:

Leeg 1:
    Leeg 1 is a planet in name only. While it once might have been a vibrant world full of life the best comparison for it now would be Swiss cheese, the Same have stripped all living matter and metals from this planet down to its core. Some remnants of Same mining drones lie within the many tunnels and will remain there until the planet eventually turns into an asteroid field.

Leeg 2:
    A planet that consists of nothing but barren rock even lacking a metal core it was spared the deconstruction efforts of the Same. This ball of stone follows it orbit around Stofzuiger without interruption and seems to be the only planet left untouched completely.

Leeg 3:
    This planet can still be identified as a Gaia world although most of its surface resources have been mined away the Same had not started drilling into the planet to far yet and thus its core and most of the mantle remains intact. With some water left on the poles and the atmosphere holding on by a thread this planet could be restored and support life if anyone wished to do so.

Show

It is hard to not believe in the Bogeyman when they can be heard flying over your house at each waking moment.

The Snervirs have become masters of stealth living in the same sector as the Same v0.02 for so long they were forced to adapt living on resources missed or the drones that stopped functioning.

A quadrupedal race that can bear their weight on their front legs for a short period of time allowing the hind legs to function as arms. With lizard like scales dark as night they blend in with the cold void of space when traversing the planets in the system. Their ships are covered with the scales of the dead and provide excellent camouflage.

Numbering ten thousand in total they have made their base on Leeg 2 as the planet was being overlooked by the same due to its lack of usable resources. From this base they have survived by running scavenger hunts following the same through the system picking up any leftovers.

Show

The Snervirs originated from Leeg 3 and had lived there for many generations before the Same arrived in the system. The initial death toll was in the billions and quickly the Snevirs faced extinction faced with the overwhelming force that was the Same v0.02. It was by pure chance that some engineers discovered that the same overlooked any Snevir that was only showing its scales while standing on bare rock. In a horrific attempt to remain alive the scales of the dead were gathered and crafted onto space ships that managed to make an escape to Leeg 2 where they were forced to observe the Same devastating their home world and the rest of the system.

It took many iterations and sacrifices before the Snervir could power their ships with an energy source that was silent enough to not be detected by the Same, and by the time they finished the Snervir were down to three thousand. It was at this point that underground farms where created and expansion was only possible when enough scales were gathered by volunteers or the dead. With each expansion more food was available and over many generations the Snervir managed to rebuild their numbers to ten thousand.

It was then that a blimp of something that was not Same was spotted in the system strange ships made entirely from organic material navigated in and managed to fire a few quick scans before being forced to retreat as the Same closed in. This was the only sighting for two galactic years and most had accepted the fact that these explorers would not return.

It was at this point the might of the Mier Formica fleet assisted by the CpC arrived into the system and this time when the Same v0.02 came in for the attack the fight was met with electronic weapons and explosions. Billions of the Mier Formica are taken out in minutes however there are many billions more to continue the fight and push back the waves of drones. Pushing the fight to the central unit controlling the Same v0.02 a well placed missile destroys the central unit and the battle is over the Same had been destroyed.

The Snervir were cautious to approach these new aliens however where the Same overlooked them the Mier Formica opened up communications and promised them they did not come with hostile intent against anyone but the Same. Peace talks were held and the Mier Formica took on the task of rebuilding Leeg 3, it did not take long for trees and other flora to be transported from the other systems the Mier Formica controlled and luckily the planet responded well. It has only been a few short years since the first tree was planted but the planet desperate for survival took this chance and many new saplings have been spotted far and wide as the wind spreads them.

It might not be long until the Snervir can truly return home.

Show

The Snervir have been living under martial law for many generations and everyone had a job to do. Leading them was the council of necessity that consisted of the Minister of Agriculture, Minister of Habitat and the Minister of Salvage. Each over saw their own branch and hardly had the need to convene over matters. Crime was low as one misstep would mean the Same killed everyone.

Now that the Same threat was gone a new government was being formed it was still in its early stages and many of the roles have not changed. The Mier Formica were honoured with a position on the council as they oversaw the reconstruction of Leeg 3. It will take many years before anything resembling a true democracy is established again but the rebuilding has begun.

Show

The main export of StofZuiger is Stealth Batteries which count as Electronics:

Stealth batteries are the power source of all the Snervirs technologies and run so silent that it is near impossible to tell energy is being generated and distributed.

[TP1] After being liberated from the same the Snervir are all too happy to share their Stealth batteries with anyone that is willing to pay for it.

Show

The colony has not yet spread their beliefs to this station and the Snervir have no god to worship as remaining one step ahead of the Same was a full time job, the learning centre lies open

LC: The first tree planted by the Mier Formica on Leeg 3 represents the rebuilding of life in the sector it holds a special place for the Mier Formica and the Snervirs alike.

Verlaters(J12)

Show

The system Verlaters has a red star and has several planets in orbit.

Verlaters(Red Star)
    A M class with a surface temperature of 2400 degrees Celsius, with two planets in orbit:

Grijs 1:
    A colony planet settled by the grey aliens that were once part of the SoS the planet seems to not support much variety of fauna and most of the available land has been converted to either living space or agriculture.

Grijs 2:
    Very similar to grijs 1 most of the planet has been converted into Grey living space or farm land. While this planet provides slightly more diversity of wildlife.

Show

The greys are known to the galaxy from their SoS days and need no introduction.

Show

During the collapse of the SoS many of them gathered in J12 to launch one final attack against the Same. With Month Superior and Abbess Dorith in the lead a heroic speech is held and all of the members of the SoS ready for the charge, one out is given any that do not wish to join this last attack are given permission to change the two planets into colonies where they can live out the rest of their lives.

While many decide to join the battle there are some that decide to remain and start construction of the colonies. The battle can be witnessed at the edge of the system and when none return the outcome is clear.

The deserters prefer keeping quiet, more concerned with preserving their lifestyle of agriculture peaceful contemplation, than getting involved in Axiom’s wider affairs.

Show

No government is in place each grey takes care of their own living needs on a patch of land that was assigned when the settlement began.

Show

The main export of Verlaters are the many precious minerals that have been excavated while the land was being settled:

[TP1] One of the two storehouses of the precious minerals this storehouse alone could sustain an empire for decades

[TP2] The second of the two storehouses of the precious minerals the abundance of ruby's diamonds and sapphires stuns those who look at them.

Show

The colony believes in the one.

LC: Remnants of the ship that brought the greys to these planets has been converted into a shrine to the one.
    See that awesome avatar? This dude called Gengy made it.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

WAR DECLARED; ALL AXIOM IN TURMOIL

Given that this round will likely see a large number of battles take place, the GM team wishes to remind all players of the usual war deadline on this Friday. War actions may not be edited afterward except with GM permission. Please finalize your actions as early as possible to allow your opponent to respond.

4.5 days left for round 15 posts!

This is also a reminder from the GM team for the following players that have not posted in round 15 so far:

Minescratcher
    Elemental
    moossabi
    zabbarot
    DionysisReborn
    Fyrecatt

None are in danger of dropping out this round.

Additionally, the following players have not decided on or posted all their actions:

KriegTiger
    Electriccat
    Potato_Priest
    Tentreto
    Aedildred
    Rolepgeek

30. - Top - End - #540
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Updated this writeup a little bit as per the GM Team's suggestion.

The Prismatic Sea (Region U15)

Spoiler: Summary
    Show

System: Prismatic Sea

Resource Centres:
    Resource: Rainbow Octopi (Skilled Beings) [Minor]
    1. Canary Archipelago
    2. Indigo Trench
    3. Rouge Reef

Learning Centre: Chartreuse Ridge

Show

The Prismatic Sea is a smallish planet, heated by a pair of small, white-hot suns to a comfortable temperature. It is almost entirely covered by a shallow ocean, with only a handful of small islands dotting the surface of the water. Beneath the ocean floor, however, is a complex system of caves and grottoes, some of which contain breathable air. The planet is geographically divided into five clusters of caves, each of which contains a slightly tinted water, sand, flora, and fauna. The reasons for these colors are not fully understood, but it is believed that the Rainbow Octopi secrete a substance into the atmosphere which filters sunlight into its spectrum of light.

Show

The only intelligent race in the Prismatic Sea are the Rainbow Octopi, the caretakers of the various colored clusters. An Octopus is quite small, only about a foot in width, with tentacles about another foot long. There are five distinct varieties, each distinguished from one another primarily by their color and by their preferred activity. All Rainbow Octopi, however, are psionic and can communicate telepathically with others by touching them with their tentacles. Side effects of this type of contact can include illness, hallucination, and the loss of all free will and sanity. Although they seem to be barely more than animals, the Rainbow Octopi are highly intelligent and have developed an advanced culture and communication system.
    Spoiler: Rainbow Octopus Types
    Show
    The Rouge Cluster: The physically largest of the Rainbow Octopi, the Rouge have for years been training themselves in the fine art of war and combat. This makes them a natural fit for the Rothuun, who have declared them the superior cluster. Primary color: Red.

The Amber Cluster: The Amber Cluster’s story is among the saddest and most tragic of any in the Prismatic Sea. An interbreed between the Rouge and Canary clusters, the Amber were genetically flawed, and many of the first generation died off. Those who survived were small and puny, and to survive, they were forced to become diplomatic wordsmiths. Ambers are thus judges and servants of the disputes between the clusters. The Rothuun, however, were unimpressed by the weak octopi, and most of their territory was handed off to the Rouge. Primary color: Orange

The Canary Cluster: The Canary Cluster are clever and thrifty exporters of resources. Upon the arrival of the Rothuun, they provided samples of seaweed, fish, and shells extracted from the ocean floor to their conquerors, and later were promoted to the primary sellers of Rainbow Octopus servants (and often those servants as well). The Canary have very little personal identity and often do not mind being placed into servitude, making them the perfect export for the region. Primary Color: Yellow

The Chartreuse Cluster: The Chartreuse Cluster are philosophically minded. They may have no particular philosophy to associate themselves with, but they are determined to find one. They were on the best terms with the Iteus explorers who discovered the Prismatic Sea. Unlike most of the other clusters, they have a sense of free will, which they insist on applying to their philosophical debates. Primary Color: Green

The Indigo Cluster: Denizens of the deepest and darkest portions of the Prismatic Sea, the Indigo Cluster is the only one of the clusters to actively try to bring down the other clusters. Its members are malicious spies and assassins, who use subterfuge and sabotage to subvert the power structure of the planet. Due to the short amount of time they have spent on the planet, and the other clusters’ fears of the Violet Cluster, the Rothuun are not even aware of this cluster’s existence.

Show

Prior to the conquest of the planet by the Rothuun, the different Clusters governed themselves in communal hive-minds. Bephik Axemaker, the newly appointed Regional Governor, is a priest of Iteus, whose rather unorthodox theory of ascension involved grafting as many appendages from various galactic species onto himself as was physically possible. Although the surgery required to attach the arms, legs, tentacles, hooks, barbs, stingers, pseudopods, tails, mandibles, wings, and snouts was successful, the immense amounts of painkillers required developed into a serious addiction. Bephik spends most of his time nowadays doped on at least three or four sedative drugs, and is often drunk to boot. He is aided by his lieutenant and the leader of the Rouge Cluster, Red-One.

Show

Most of the Rainbow Octopi, with the exception of the Chartreuse Cluster, have very little free will or individuality. They are willing to sell themselves into servitude for the good of their clusters, and the Rothuun are happy to exploit this selflessness for their own purposes. The Rainbow Octopi are being considered as elite strike force units, to incapacitate enemy leaders by sending them into cataleptic spasms. Despite their animal-like shapes, however, the Rainbow Octopi are intelligent and thoughtful creatures that benefit greatly from contact with other complex-minded organisms.
    Last edited by Gaius Hermicus; 2020-01-26 at 09:36 AM.
    Formerly known as the_brazenburn.

Currently playing Empire!5: Empire in Space as the Rothuun Minotaurs.

PM me sometime!