New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Is everything pre-determined in OOTS world?

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Because magic has a very specific meaning in D&D,
    in 3.5, maybe, if you are hair splitting. (5e does try to explain that, but it took a dev writing up a Sage Advice article to almost do so successfully. Almost)

Su and Ex abilities are magic.
    Using a magic item is using magic.
    The whole of the multiverse is suffused with magic.
    Being able to use powers from a deity like Tiamat is magic.
    Being able to predict the future like that is magic.
    It's all magic.
    It doesn't have to be a spell to be magic.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-09-05 at 03:59 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    in 3.5, maybe, if you are hair splitting. (5e does try to explain that, but it took a dev writing up a Sage Advice article to almost do so successfully. Almost)

It's all magic.
    But if the Oracle only has one kind of magic then there is no trances and then also "minor divination magic"

Ability to see the future is actually quite rare in divination spells anyway. Most grant minor bonuses based on prescience that extends seconds, or information about the the current locations of creatures and objects, or advice from one's deity, or identifying the properties of an item, or just enhancement to your own vision. The ones that do see the future are very vague too, and the most powerful one I can find only looks as far as a week in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    But yeah, if Tiamat can see any moment in time, there's no reason why she would be gambling the lives of a third of her black dragons. Reminder that she didn't even knew about V's deal, something that an all knowing entity would for sure be aware of, especially when it pertains to so many of her most powerful servants being killed off. Also, the fiend has to make a promise for her that they'd kill 5 metallic dragons for each ones lost, which implies that this is a thing that isa beyond her knowledge.
    It could be that Tiamat doesn't have prescience even while granting it to her follower. The gods grant powers to mortals they don't have all the time, such as Hel granting control weather to Greg. The SRD rules about gods even go so far as to make casting cleric spells a thing most gods can't do even though the ability to grant those is what defines you as a god. Though I'm pretty sure those rules aren't in effect.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-09-05 at 06:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post

It's all magic.
    Sorry but you’re partly wrongly as I said before
    From the SRD
    Extraordinary abilities are nonmagical, though they may break the laws of physics. They are not something that just anyone can do or even learn to do without extensive training.

These abilities cannot be disrupted in combat, as spells can, and they generally do not provoke attacks of opportunity. Effects or areas that negate or disrupt magic have no effect on extraordinary abilities. They are not subject to dispelling, and they function normally in an antimagic field.

Using an extraordinary ability is usually not an action because most extraordinary abilities automatically happen in a reactive fashion. Those extraordinary abilities that are actions are standard actions unless otherwise noted.

Spell like abilities work like the spell they replicate with certain exceptions
    Supernatural ones are magical but only affected by anti magic fields - not spell resistance or dispels
    Last edited by mjasghar; 2019-09-06 at 04:33 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Sorry but you’re partly wrongly as I said before
    From the SRD
    Extraordinary abilities are nonmagical, though they may break the laws of physics.
    That is what magic is, though. (See Vaarsuvius' various musings on making the laws of physics sit in a corner and cry).
    (Though as I noted above, if one is going for hair splitting then I see your point).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-09-06 at 08:39 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #245

I was under the impression that the overall storyline was based on it not being predetermined. I mean, even the gods are voting.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I was under the impression that the overall storyline was based on it not being predetermined. I mean, even the gods are voting.
    So what? These gods are not omnipotent nor omniscient nor did they make the rules of the universe. There isn't that much difference between thel and very powerful mortals.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #247

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So what? These gods are not omnipotent nor omniscient nor did they make the rules of the universe. There isn't that much difference between thel and very powerful mortals.
    That agrees with how I read the story too. But... maybe I’m reading it wrong?

People on this thread are arguing that Odin can’t be omniscient because Tiamat is already omniscient, and the properties of the OofS universe are setup to make it impossible for multiple omniscient beings to exist simultaneously.

They’re arguing about stuff that I'm just not seeing in the strip at all. Maybe I’m missing something important.?
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-09-06 at 12:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The gods are a source of divine magic. Very powerful mortals are not. Just as an example.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    That agrees with how I read the story too. But... maybe I’m reading it wrong?

People on this thread are arguing that Odin can’t be omniscient because Tiamat is already omniscient, and the properties of the OofS universe are setup to make it impossible for multiple omniscient beings to exist simultaneously.

They’re arguing about stuff that I'm just not seeing in the strip at all. Maybe I’m missing something important.?
    Are they? I must have missed that. Anyway I don’t see how that follows. But I don’t think there is anybody in OOTS verse who is omniscient that is who knows everything. But I think it was clearly established that Odin, Tiamat and Rooster can know anything and grant that ability to chosen followers.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

If they can know anything, then why are they never portrayed as such? Why didn't the rooster allowed their seer to see everything that was going to happen during the battle of Azure city? Why doesn't Tiamat realize that her plan isn't going to work in the end?(as I doubt this comic eill end with Tiamat winning), hell, considering how Thor was shown as being able to count all the worlds they destroyed, it's safe to assume that any god that could see the future this clearly could very well be aware of everything.

Also, why didn't the gods knew that the Snarl was going to be formed? Why didn't Odin predict that the last world wouldn't use magic?
    Last edited by Morgana; 2019-09-06 at 02:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

If they can know anything, then why are they never portrayed as such? Why didn't the rooster allowed their seer to see everything that was going to happen during the battle of Azure city? Why doesn't Tiamat realize that her plan isn't going to work in the end?(as I doubt this comic eill end with Tiamat winning), hell, considering how Thor was shown as being able to count all the worlds they destroyed, it's safe to assume that any god that could see the future this clearly could very well be aware of everything.

Also, why didn't the gods knew that the Snarl was going to be formed? Why didn't Odin predict that the last world wouldn't use magic?
    Perhaps they can’t really control their ability to see into the future. That’s consistent with what we see, and it would explain a lot.

The Oracle does seem to have control over the ability to see into the future. Now, it doesn’t make a ton of intuitive sense that a created being would have more power than the beings it was created by, but I think we have to make an assumption that something unintuitive is going on for all of this to make sense.

One possibility - and this is just an example of how we could reconcile all of the available information with the fact that the gods don’t seem to know everything; it almost certainly isn’t actually the case - is that the “seer” gods of the three pantheons are able to combine their powers to grant one being per world a mostly-unrestricted ability to see into the future. However, each of them retains the right to veto any particular prophecy from that being. On this world it’s Tiamat’s turn to have a follower with the gift of mostly-unrestricted prophecy (as part of the compromise, the Oracle has to live in a different pantheon’s territory), and neither Odin nor Rooster nor Tiamat have vetoed anything on-panel because they simply haven’t felt the need to. (They might have wanted to veto the ABD’s query about Vaarsuvius, but if they had, Tiamat might have vetoed something they cared about, so they declined.) In addition, making prophecies that directly concern The Snarl weakens its prison, so they avoid making use of The Oracle for this purpose. (The question about Girard’s Gate was just indirect enough to be allowed.)

I dunno how plausible this all is, but it strikes me as at least marginally more so than “the gods can foresee everything but didn’t bother” or “The Oracle can foresee everything, unlike the god that actually grants him that power, and the gods never make use of that ability to figure out how to solve their problems with other pantheons or The Snarl even though they easily could.”
    Last edited by Emanick; 2019-09-06 at 04:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

SolithKnightGuy

With regards to the gods - this was clarified by Rich
    Clerics get that power from the idea they worship
    With gods they get someone who will add extra aid and benefits in return for behaviour limits and promoting a specific version of that idea
    So you could say that deity clerics are contracted staff, elemental and other cultists are freelancers. Then you have a few clerics of ideals who are amateurs. They would have no support structure but decide their own behaviour etc. Of course, at higher levels they would have issues with spells that summon extra planar allies so might have to compromise and establish quid pro quo relationships with certain gods or high rank outsiders.
    The most obvious amateurs of this type are independent paladins
    Last edited by mjasghar; 2019-09-07 at 05:55 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

If they can know anything, then why are they never portrayed as such?
    They are. Each of their predictions come true.
    Why didn't the rooster allowed their seer to see everything that was going to happen during the battle of Azure city?
    Spoiler: GDGU: Spoiler Alert
    Show
    Sangwaan specifically refused to divine when she would die.

Furthermore it is entirely possible that Rooster wanted the goblins to gain a foothold as part of future negotiations with the Dark One.
    Why doesn't Tiamat realize that her plan isn't going to work in the end?(as I doubt this comic eill end with Tiamat winning)
    Which plan? Making peace with the Dark One? Because I am pretty sure this one has good odds of working. Having the three fiends massacre one fifth of the good dragons? That's not a plan. Even if their own plan to do so doesn't work out, three Archfiends owe her big time, that's a gain for her.
    hell, considering how Thor was shown as being able to count all the worlds they destroyed, it's safe to assume that any god that could see the future this clearly could very well be aware of everything.

My guess is that they have to look for a specific thing, such as "when will the Oracle die" or "when will that wizard peak in magical power", etc... They had no idea that the Snarl was possible until it happened so none of them looked for "attack of a god-killing creature" neither did they look for "ascension of a god of a fourth quiddity".

Thor has total recall, that doesn't mean Odin could divine everything ever. We have seen clearly that gods aren't any better than mortals at paying attention to two things at once. Think of the end of Lord of the Rings, Sauron can look anywhere in the world but as long as the Captains of Gondor can keep his attention firmly on them, then he cannot see Frodo and Sam drawing close to Mt. Doom because he cannot look in two places at once.

So, like most things in D&D, it comes down to action economy. Gods have 24 hours each day and they need to give spells to their Clerics, govern their attribute (magic, life, storms, whatever), rule their Domain and attend to all their various duties. How long each day do Tiamat, Rooster and Odin dedicate to future-gazing and what do they look for?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-07 at 07:14 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Tiamat clearly only backed off from the fiends when they promised they'd kill the good dragons, meaning she at least somewhat believes that will be the case, so we can deduce she doesn't know everything. Furthermore the gods all clearly seem to not know if they can even beat the Snarl, the whole point of even considering destroying the world in the first place was because there was a chance that it could go wrong, if everything was pre-determined that would be an absolute and there wouldn't be a point in even arguing. The whole current arc is literally about the gods arguing if sticking with this world is even worth the risk, there is no risk in a deterministic universe.
    Last edited by Morgana; 2019-09-07 at 02:36 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Tiamat clearly only backed off from the fiends when they promised they'd kill the good dragons, meaning she at least somewhat believes that will be the case, so we can deduce she doesn't know everything. Furthermore the gods all clearly seem to not know if they can even beat the Snarl, the whole point of even considering destroying the world in the first place was because there was a chance that it could go wrong, if everything was pre-determined that would be an absolute and there wouldn't be a point in even arguing. The whole current arc is literally about the gods arguing if sticking with this world is even worth the risk, there is no risk in a deterministic universe.
    That’s only true if someone knows everything which, as I said, I don’t think any one in the OOTS-verse does. I have already given you reasons for Tiamat’s actions. As for the gods’ uncertainty, Odin is mentally indisposed right now and according to Thor, the Western Gods do not trust Tiamat. We don’t know much about the Southern Gods but it is entirely possible they voted the way they did (‘‘No’’) because Rooster assures them the good guys were going to win.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Why would Tiamat lie about the Snarl destroying everything? And if they don't trust Tiamat, why wouldn't they just ask Roost who also has no reason to lie about any of this? And the snarl has been shown to frighten and be an existencial threat to all gods, it kinda wholely misses the point of the snarl if there are gods who know how and when it's going to be beaten, especially cause Odin could have forseen that the Snarl would be defeated and how worlds ago, which would obviously be something that he'd ask at some point. Furthermore, why isn't Rooster directly helping Thor in this case? And why hasn't Thor not yet even attempted to ask Rooster if they are indeed going to win? Also, never in all of the statements we saw from the gods there's any mention of this being a situation that is any way set in stone, in fact they very much talk like it's something that no one has any way of knowing if they can ever beat them. If it was, I'm sure the southern pantheon and Rooster in particular would have told all the other gods by now, something they clearly haven't.
    Last edited by Morgana; 2019-09-07 at 03:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Why would Tiamat lie about the Snarl destroying everything?
    Because she would stand to gain from the world not ending somehow. We've seen that most gods had entirely selfish reasons for their votes.
    And if they don't trust Tiamat, why wouldn't they just ask Roost who also has no reason to lie about any of this?
    Because Rooster is a Southern God (which makes communication difficult) and may very well have reasons to lie about this. We've never seen Rooster, he may very well not be anymore trustworthy than Tiamat.
    And the snarl has been shown to frighten and be an existencial threat to all gods, it kinda wholely misses the point of the snarl if there are gods who know how and when it's going to be beaten, especially cause Odin could have forseen that the Snarl would be defeated and how worlds ago, which would obviously be something that he'd ask at some point.
    That depends what "beaten" means. Thor's plan is to cage the Snarl indefinitely in a prison that still will need spot-wielding every couple millenia, meaning that if it does go through every god trying to divine "When will we destroy the Snarl?" or "When will we design a prison strurdy enough to contain the Snarl forever" would only see "never" or, rather, an error 404.

Also, never in all of the statements we saw from the gods there's any mention of this being a situation that is any way set in stone, in fact they very much talk like it's something that no one has any way of knowing if they can ever beat them.
    Well neither Thor nor Loki nor Hel nor any of the Northern Gods except Odin have any way to be sure.

But what is your position exactly? If the future isn't set in stone then how do you explain the Oracle, Sangwaan and Durkon's prophecy?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-07 at 03:45 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Tiamat doesn't have anything to gain if the Snarl breaks lose, and kill all the gods before they can trap it again, cause she will be dead. And we've seen Tiger very easily talking with Thor, and if at least one god of every pantheon could for sure see the future without any limitations, it makes very little sense that every god wouldn't know that information at this point. And prophecies exist in tons of settings where there's free will, just from the top of my head there's Doctor Who where only a few points in time are really pre-determined, and even those come with their own set of exceptions where they can be altered, hell both Marvel and DC have prophecies and it's been shown that both have fairly mutable futures. No prophecy thus far has been terribly detailed about what happens in the future, and tons have even been fairly open to interpretation.

Certainly none of them have been detailed enough to grant any validity to there being omniscient beings in this universe
    Last edited by Morgana; 2019-09-07 at 04:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Tiamat doesn't have anything to gain if the Snarl breaks lose, and kill all the gods before they can trap it again, cause she will be dead.
    That's not a possibility. I mean there are three options that we know of here.
    A) The Snarl is indefinitely containes.
    B) The Snarl destroys the world and the gods trap it in the next one.
    C) The gods destroy the world and trap the snarl in the next one.

"The Snarl destroys the gods" isn't really on the table as they have managed to escape it countless times before.
    And we've seen Tiger very easily talking with Thor
    True, which does not invalidate the "Rooster is as untrustworthy as Tiamat" proposition. I mean of the 3 gods that can see the future we know good reasons why the other gods wouldn't trust 2. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't trust the third as well.
    and if at least one god of every pantheon could for sure see the future without any limitations, it makes very little sense that every god wouldn't know that information at this point.
    Who said they wouldn't?
    And prophecies exist in tons of settings where there's free will
    Yeah, because free-will isn't incompatible with determinism or divination.
    just from the top of my head there's Doctor Who where only a few points in time are really pre-determined
    That's a terrible exemple. And i say that nd even those come with their own set of exceptions was a Doctor Who fan. That show has long abandonned any attempt at being consistent with the mechanics of its time-travel.
    hell both Marvel and DC have prophecies and it's been shown that both have fairly mutable futures.
    So, are you not going to answer the question? If the future isn't set in stone how can it be predicted?

No prophecy thus far has been terribly detailed about what happens in the future, and tons have even been fairly open to interpretation.
    The Oracle and Sangwaan know the exact minute they will be killed and burgled respectively and can prepare accordingly, how many more details do you want?
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

"Well neither Thor nor Loki nor Hel nor any of the Northern Gods except Odin have any way to be sure." what did you mean by this then?

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

free-will isn't incompatible with determinism
    To be more precise: The future being entirely determined by the present is in no way incompatible with our intentions controlling our actions. That's just cause and effect, and a deterministic universes is made of cause and effect. The future being entirely determined by the present is incompatible with our intentions being fundamentally random, because full determinism means that nothing is fundamentally random. But why someone would think that it's cynical to believe that our intentions aren't fundamentally random is beyond me.

Personally, I'm convinced that objective reality is entirely non-arbitrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    The future being entirely determined by the present is incompatible with our intentions being fundamentally random, because full determinism means that nothing is fundamentally random. But why someone would think that it's cynical to believe that our intentions aren't fundamentally random is beyond me.
    As I already pointed out in this thread, it is not necessary for something to be random for it to be essentially unpredictable. The weather is an entirely deterministic system, but we cannot reliably predict it more than a few days in advance.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

Worth keeping in mind is that the Western gods are a bit more insular than the Northern and Southern gods. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Northern and Southern continents are connected via isthmus, whereas the Western Continent is its own completely separate landmass way out to sea.

As for why the Gods still have to vote, even though some of them can see the hypothetically predetermined future? Well, because only some of them can see the hypothetically predetermined future. Odin's a Good deity who's the most powerful in his pantheon and has been leading them pretty much this whole time, and even then the Northern Gods don't trust him enough to all follow his lead. Tiamat is very much not a Good deity- can you imagine how much more untrustworthy she seems to be than Odin?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Tiamat is very much not a Good deity- can you imagine how much more untrustworthy she seems to be than Odin?
    Yes, that terrible Tiamat, sending her chromatic dragons to attack and loot people's homes-

Oh no wait it's Thor's clerics who go around murderizing chromatic dragons at their own lairs and loot their stuff for personal profit.

Even the empress of blood is just a puppet ruler being manipulated by humanoids.

Really, what has Tiamat done of so terrible compared to the death and destruction that Thor's own followers unleash upon the world?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Yes, that terrible Tiamat, sending her chromatic dragons to attack and loot people's homes-

Oh no wait it's Thor's clerics who go around murderizing chromatic dragons at their own lairs and loot their stuff for personal profit.

Even the empress of blood is just a puppet ruler being manipulated by humanoids.

Really, what has Tiamat done of so terrible compared to the death and destruction that Thor's own followers unleash upon the world?
    Remember when Durkon did literally anything to harm literally any dragon in OOTS? No, neither do I.

Remember when any other cleric of Thor did literally anything to harm literally any dragon in OOTS? No, neither do I.

We do know that Tiamat wants the IFCC to cause the genocide of metallic dragons, though, so that's pretty bad.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post

A. ...Wha? Out of all the Order members, Durkon is probably the LEAST dangerous to hang around, so i'm not sure where you're getting that from.
    B. She is explicitly referred to, in SOD, as an "Evil god", by Redcloak, a man who is himself Evil and thus has no reason to lie.

Also, on the subject of other debates...I'd actually argue Rooster being Evil does have some evidence behind it. Given that Sagewan, in Spoiler Alert, treats her gift as more of a sadistic curse than anything.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2019-09-08 at 12:50 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267

What if determinism only applies to mortals and it is only set in place during the creation of the world? It would tie a lot of this up in a neat bow, the seer gods know what all the mortals are going to do but can't look into the future to see what the next world will be like, or what Loki's up to.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

"Well neither Thor nor Loki nor Hel nor any of the Northern Gods except Odin have any way to be sure." what did you mean by this then?
    That only Odin,Tiamat and Rooster seem to have divination powers so the other gods cannot be sure of the future since they have at best second-hand information.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I think this is being made more difficult than it needs to be.

A) There may be multiple beings with the power of prophecy. The claim there cannot is based on logic which may not even apply to our world; we have no way to test and find out if it does.

B) The ability to predict future events does not equal omniscience. Perhaps one gets previews rather than spoilers, to use an analogy.

C) A deity may not itself have the power of prophecy and yet be able to grant the power to a follower.

I prefer to take the author at his word when his story shows an oracle who can forsee its own death but not prevent it. Divinition works in OotS. How is not explained, but it works, and none of the deities are omniscient. Any explanation which implies otherwise is wrong.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

A bit of a tangent.
    How can people believe that determinism and Quantum mechanics are both true in the real world?
    I never got that.