New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power 7: Bad Luck for the Starstruck!

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    That is actually believable. In recent years there has been a push-back against remote access. Leaving systems open to remote access is a huge security risk. They probably also want to keep the federal and local security agencies separate to avoid abuse of power by the former.
    Sure, but that's in the real world where corruption is both possible and prevalent. This is the flawless and morally righteous Millennium Federation we're talking about where the people in power are always the good guys who always do the right thing. Why would they ever need to worry about federal abuse of power?
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #542
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Sure, but that's in the real world where corruption is both possible and prevalent. This is the flawless and morally righteous Millennium Federation we're talking about where the people in power are always the good guys who always do the right thing. Why would they ever need to worry about federal abuse of power?
    Brightman and Chief were worried about the evil government in issue 1, which means that, at least until 30 years earlier, bad things did happen.

We also have only seen 2 chiefs, and 1 out of two is corrupt. With remote access, a delinquent like Abraxi can check files from other Chiefs desks, for example to sniff for informers.

The thing is, we really don't know much about the Federation. I remember maybe Tom complimenting it. But outside Sanctuary Six, things may be nasty (or simply not as good). We have seen GD doing its job, and it was very good for the civilians involved, like with the Supernova Dragon Lords, but operational effectiveness doesn't mean that there aren't some ugly or criminal practices that need constant watch. We have seen GD people involved in human trafficking. We have seen something as screwed up as the evil den of Mr Hymn, who had received a permit from the authorities to be off the grid to do "his thing".
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

So the moral of the story is: If you have a problem with crime, and you think the law is not fast enough, just take a gun and spray your problems away.
    Don't forget to wear a mask and have some secret identity! Maybe a shirt with a skull on it?

Seriously, Danica was not "dragged into the shadow", she WAS the shadow.
    Just because her power is light themed doesn't make it automatically light and just.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

. . . Does Danica not realize that the only reason the crime families were "disappointing" is because she's basically an unstoppable juggernaut with ridiculous power that she stumbled into by dumb luck?

They'd all have died uselessly if she didn't have the Star Power. She's hardly in a position to brag. At least not that specific type of bragging.
    Last edited by Shogo; 2020-07-29 at 01:10 AM.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, the girl that basically is a warship in human form calling normal gangsters "not that scary" is silly at best.

Kinda makes me wish she'd meet a actual challenge.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #546

Danica sounds a bit like a psychopath/Goku. "I had such high hopes for punching these criminals!"
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Danica sounds a bit like a psychopath/Goku. "I had such high hopes for punching these criminals!"
    Why did you just write Goku twice?

This is a terrible wrap up that tries to once again rewrite the story so as to suck Danica's (probably) metaphorical d*ck. It's exactly what I expected.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Why did you just write Goku twice?

This is a terrible wrap up that tries to once again rewrite the story so as to suck Danica's (probably) metaphorical d*ck. It's exactly what I expected.
    In "The Boys", do you know the scenes when someone talks to Homelander, but this person is aware of the real Homelander that is behind all the PR?
    This is what this and many similar scenes along the way remind me of.

Smith just realized he is in front of a person who has superpowers, doesn't always listen to orders, has zero accountability, not afraid to dangle people out the window, and openly admitted to being disappointed after not enjoying enough violence.

(I can't wait for this to be over so I can finish my extended review)

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

So in the news summary, the order is reversed as if no one cares that getting the evidence came only AFTER the "arrests".

I'd say it's an in-universe cover up, but I doubt it.
    Unless the chief says so specifically in the next update, everything else in the comic points to Danica being right and just all along.

So I'm left with two options:
    Either Mookie is completely oblivious to the moral problems coming from the reverse order of events, or he IS aware of it, and decided to "fox news" the event to make the readers ignore what happened to avoid handling his own decisions in comic.

Not sure which option is worse.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Update

So in the news summary, the order is reversed as if no one cares that getting the evidence came only AFTER the "arrests".

I'd say it's an in-universe cover up, but I doubt it.
    Unless the chief says so specifically in the next update, everything else in the comic points to Danica being right and just all along.

So I'm left with two options:
    Either Mookie is completely oblivious to the moral problems coming from the reverse order of events, or he IS aware of it, and decided to "fox news" the event to make the readers ignore what happened to avoid handling his own decisions in comic.

Not sure which option is worse.
    Given Mookie's past tendency to obliviously write things with awful unintended consequences, I'd say the former is more likely.

11. - Top - End - #551

All I have to say is: daaaaaaaaaamn, this could have been the beginning of a few really good volumes. It still wasn't going to happen, but think about it: we could have finally seen how the Federation works, and we could have seen rivalry between different services, and even new services being born, and all the side characters interacting...

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

All I have to say is: daaaaaaaaaamn, this could have been the beginning of a few really good volumes. It still wasn't going to happen, but think about it: we could have finally seen how the Federation works, and we could have seen rivalry between different services, and even new services being born, and all the side characters interacting...
    If that was the direction, it would simply end with "few bad apples, problem resolved, all are happy", and all this with zero self awareness of how it ties to current events around the world.

13. - Top - End - #553

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    If that was the direction, it would simply end with "few bad apples, problem resolved, all are happy", and all this with zero self awareness of how it ties to current events around the world.
    Look very carefully at the red newslines But yes, I don't think it ever could have gone very deep or long.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Look very carefully at the red newslines But yes, I don't think it ever could have gone very deep or long.
    I 100% believe that "Defund Galactic Defense" is merely a shallow reference to a particular real world event with no regard for the context behind it and no desire to take it anywhere beyond the reference.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2020-08-03 at 02:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

I 100% believe that "Defund Galactic Defense" is merely a shallow reference to a particular real world event with no regard for the context behind it and no desire to take it anywhere beyond the reference.
    The problem is that Mookie is saying all the right words, but shows zero understanding on anything beyond the obvious.

He related the events to his story, but doesn't understand that Danica's actions are exactly what the protest was against.
    He SAYS the galactic defense needs reform, but everything inside the story is leading to the "just a few bad apples" without anything beyond a casual mention of a systematic problem.
    He uses the phrase "defund GD", but in-story there wasn't even an option to any action that isn't somehow police related. No mention in the story itself for the brainwash the people in the cities suffered from, and no suggestion to use any other method than force to "free them".

I have never been really angry at Mookie's moral implications except this issue here (maybe with one old sexy exception), and his understanding that it is connected to real events only makes it worse.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Colossus in the Playground

Here is my general outlook on this. It was known they had evidence that proved all the crime families were guilty of all of the crimes ever. The detective also had evidence that confirmed galactic defense was on the take but there were problems with sending it off world. When danica lost her temper and went on a one woman crusade, she took out the crime family's ability to react to the evidence being sent, and allowed for a sting operation on the galactic defense chiefs records. The fact the entire justice system was basically implicated here meant they couldnt follow the standard steps so space station chief took a risk, chose to believe the evidence was there and authorized a raid for it, knowing that extenuating circumstances would make it acceptable so long as proof was found. Had the proof NOT been there, he likely would have gotten his own jail cell. This also supposes that criminal justice laws are based on americas legal system. For all we know none of this was considered shady according to the federations legal system.

Another factor to take into account is doing this the "rational" way would have involved danica physically transporting the records to the station then 6 months to 6 years later we hear a news report about a full raid on the planet collecting all the dirty cops and criminals there with nothing to do with danica at all. That would be boring. So instead we got this. Heck, it might even have been CHANGED to this due to the need to wrap up the comic all of a sudden. But with mookie im not giving the benefit of the doubt on that.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

I'm somewhere between shocked and lazy, so I'll just quote what Celestia wrote about a previous update.
    Fits better than whatever I can think of.

18. - Top - End - #558

Given that Burke's boss and half his crew had been human trafficking a few years prior, and that Chief is aware of that, how could Chief only now realise that GD needs more supervision?

Also, http://www.joshuawright.net/slack-wyrm-647.html

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Is the Chief kneeling before Zod Danica?
    That's a bit much, isn't it?
    Arresting a bunch of space-mafia Don's and their head lackey isn't that big.
    Doubly so compared to her other adventures*.

I mean unless they're declaring her God-Empress of the Federation and all of Space and supreme leader of Galactic Defense or something like that.
    Which honestly wouldn't surprise me, considering Danica is always right and can do no wrong.

*Seriously, looking at the opponents the comic is kinda backwards. Which the danger level actually sinking from arc to arc.
    And isn't that impressive in itself?
    Considering there wasn't any real danger to begin with?

20. - Top - End - #560

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Is the Chief kneeling before Zod Danica?
    It might be an holdover from Return of the King.

After all, this is the final issue, the one where the hero must get recognition, because it's necessary for the whole series to make sense (it's a superhero story, after all). So you get the sudden uptick in light symbolism and people telling Danica she's right and great and awesome. This is the same reason why the Detective didn't just have to deal with not being able to control her, but actually crawled before her.

The thing is, Danica has done much more than this. As a peace enforcer on foreign planets, which I guess could also be seen through a colonialist lens (or through a "what did the Romans do for us?" lens).

But it's fun to try to think of Chief's reasons, if he were acting as a realistic character. Why would he kneel? Maybe it's because he sees that Danica is now completely off the handle: she's acting of her own volition against the laws and against advice and she didn't even contact Brightman in this. So she has become very dangerous. But this is also an opportunity, since her extralegal activities mean that she can be conditioned into acting against the law. And so he his pampering her to get her to do what he wants, later on, or at least to make sure she doesn't start to see him as an enemy, given that they live in the same station and GD has come under public scrutiny.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Colossus in the Playground

As soon as I read that page I knew what the comment section would be here. lol This is ludicrously stupid and yes, I do kind of expect that danica gets a job as universal fix it gal whose job is to hunt for problems and solve them with punching. Everything from criminal gangs, to invading armies, to dirty politicians, she will punch them all with total legal immunity to fix everything! ALL HAIL DANICA!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

But it's fun to try to think of Chief's reasons, if he were acting as a realistic character. Why would he kneel?
    His shoes are open?

23. - Top - End - #563

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    His shoes are open?
    Maybe all those sticks finally got to him and he's having a stroke

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

So, why wasn't it done before by internal affairs, psi-cops or any other division?
    It's not like it was a great secret, heck, there is a reference DEFINING the planet as the planet of crime and mobsters.
    Their methods of brainwash against the GD were also no secret, and the crime families seem to be well known.

We can easily make up answers for that, but the point is that non of the answers we can give were supplied as part of this story or as a part of the world building in general.
    So this is where we are folks, do you know that one of the most common criticisms against a a story is "show, don't tell"?
    The expectations we have from Star Power are so low that our reaction to this is "for goodness sake, even just tell us without showing".
    We are begging for world building table scraps, and not even getting this.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe all those sticks finally got to him and he's having a stroke
    He had a bad lunch and is about to throw up and figured that Danica's shoes are as good a place as any.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Is that the LBGTQ support Mookie promised way back?
    Hurray for not completely screwing that up I guess?

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait...so that wasn't just cross dressing for the sake of going undercover? Smith is legitimately gender fluid? And we're only first learning about it now at the very end of the story? I mean, at least it's actually in the canon text, so Mookie is still better than a certain author, but not by much.

28. - Top - End - #568

Wait...so that wasn't just cross dressing for the sake of going undercover? Smith is legitimately gender fluid? And we're only first learning about it now at the very end of the story? I mean, at least it's actually in the canon text, so Mookie is still better than a certain author, but not by much.
    It was first indicated here: https://starpowercomic.com/comic/wor...ther/?nav=next "What are we calling you this week? Her? Him? Something in between?"

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

It was first indicated here: https://starpowercomic.com/comic/wor...ther/?nav=next "What are we calling you this week? Her? Him? Something in between?"
    Which could easily be a reference to the undercover cross dressing or just an insult. In either case, a throwaway line isn't particularly insightful. I mean, I didn't even remember that existed.

30. - Top - End - #570

Which could easily be a reference to the undercover cross dressing or just an insult. In either case, a throwaway line isn't particularly insightful. I mean, I didn't even remember that existed.
    We didn't know that Smith would dress like a woman when the line appeared. (I'm also not even sure that that's crossdressing, in tumblrspeak.)

Honestly, I think Mookie handled it better than many others. He put it down in a way that made you side with the genderqueer (because objectively Gavin was a jerk), and he also integrated it into the plot (with the prostitute disguise). Plus, he somehow managed to do this with doing a twist on the hard-boiled detective, a stock character which often both exhibits toxic masculinity and consciously suffers through its deleterious effects.