New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Star Power 7: Bad Luck for the Starstruck!

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Most is free from criminal rule and corruption except five cities as per here https://starpowercomic.com/comic/axi...rt-4/?nav=next.
    That. Doesn't make much sense.
    Like... None at all. Not one like.
    Nada. No.
    Unless they got the highest ranks of the Federation in their pockets there's no way they didn't manage to remove them.
    I could believe some smaller, street-level gangs falling through the cracks, but the big ones?
    Large enough to openly rule cities and reach even further?
    Either there should be more than five left or they should be vastly more powerful than the lore text claims.
    Or less.
    As is they're to big targets to miss/ignore* and too small to survive the kind of attention they should draw.

Also those pages read like a propaganda pamphlet.

*Well, not ignore But... not send in the big guns.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

While I do not expect Mookie to have thought much about it, there are ways in which parts of a territory can end up with a shadow government by the mob.

Starting with due process. You can't just send in the army and shoot everyone. You must let the judiciary handle it.
    And of course judges are people too, and can be intimidated or bought.

You also have tradition. If people are used to it, or are sufficinetly scared, they will simply avoid reporting things.

And then you have a nice film called The Departed, which I highly recommend watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #363
    Banned

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    While I do not expect Mookie to have thought much about it, there are ways in which parts of a territory can end up with a shadow government by the mob.

Starting with due process. You can't just send in the army and shoot everyone. You must let the judiciary handle it.
    And of course judges are people too, and can be intimidated or bought.

You also have tradition. If people are used to it, or are sufficinetly scared, they will simply avoid reporting things.

And then you have a nice film called The Departed, which I highly recommend watching.
    I watched The Departed. Very impressed with the picture and the plot, but some points in terms of interaction between actors did not like it.
    Last edited by Mavezius; 2020-08-19 at 08:09 AM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Colossus in the Playground

The problem with weeding out major crime families like this is its guerrilla warfare. The enemy is blending in with the populace, and you cant just carpet bomb the area and kill the bad guys. On top of that, they have infiltrated every layer of government and law enforcement over likely generations of corruption, which means any time they DO try to move against the families, chances are someone is sending them advance warning. Which then winds up in a bloodbath. Arresting one could also lend to tragedy depending on how bloodthirsty they are. "You pick up one of mine, we kill one of yours" is a scary effective method of avoiding cop entanglements if it is backed up by reality.

Lets even go more mild than that, anyone else watch Goodfellas? If you havent, you really should. The first half of the movie demonstrates just how criminal groups manage to thrive during that era. They had "friendly" judges, easily bribed cops, a carrot and stick method for keeping witnesses quiet, and even if they DID go to jail, they were basically royalty. It was like a vacation rather than a punishment. On top of that, they worked smart and stayed under the radar for the most part so they werent treated as a big threat. Yeah it ended badly for the cast but it also showed how well it worked for decades and these were small time groups, at best, friend of a friend to high end mobsters. It wouldnt surprise me if mookie didnt take a great deal of influence from those types of films to create this gangster world.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #365
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The thing is, I don't think there really are local police forces. Or a knockoff FBI to turn to.

From the way things have been presented, I'm pretty sure Galactic Defense is both the army and the police for the Federation as a whole as well the individual member worlds.

Your only option is Galactic Defense, and the GD presence on this planet is on the take. And yet, somehow, despite being in their pockets, these crime families are only present in five of the planet's cities.

6. - Top - End - #366

Danica: "Wait. I just realize I'm powerful enough to simply waltz into every mafia hideout and beat them into submission without any need for plans or subterfuge. Why didn't I think on that before?"
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

This page is monumentally dumb. Did he seriously forget that she's an all-powerful superhero?
    Last edited by Celestia; 2020-05-28 at 12:08 PM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    This page is monumentally dumb. Did he serious forget that she's an all-powerful superhero?
    More that she the type to ruthlessly apply them to people who won't do things her way I guess.

Also, did the Star Power package include super strength? Because that's seriously impressive, especially with those stick limbs of her.
    I mean, yeah, it's a superhero thing*, but usually the people doing it don't look like they can't lift a water bottle. A empty water bottle.

*Though usually it's the less... bright (anti-)heroes like Batsy doing this, not the shiny ones. I always thought Danica was supposed to be the latter.
    But then this looks less like "Batman intimidation tactics" and more "violent psycho wants to see how big the splash'll be".
    Not that this is the first time she comes off as a villain.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    More that she the type to ruthlessly apply them to people who won't do things her way I guess.

Also, did the Star Power package include super strength? Because that's seriously impressive, especially with those stick limbs of her.
    I mean, yeah, it's a superhero thing*, but usually the people doing it don't look like they can't lift a water bottle. A empty water bottle.

*Though usually it's the less... bright (anti-)heroes like Batsy doing this, not the shiny ones. I always thought Danica was supposed to be the latter.
    But then this looks less like "Batman intimidation tactics" and more "violent psycho wants to see how big the splash'll be".
    Not that this is the first time she comes off as a villain.
    Uh, yeah. She's always had super strength. She tore apart spaceships in the first story.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    This page is monumentally dumb. Did he seriously forget that she's an all-powerful superhero?
    Danica might be an out-of-framework problem for him. The Estavo is used to work trough fear, intimidation and the leverage he has over people. But Danica doesn't recognize his authority, isn't afraid of him, and is ready to use brute force that he can't counter. He also has to act like she isn't that powerful. That bluff gives him an advantage in negotiations, as long as she believes that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

11. - Top - End - #371

I don't think that there is a way for the situation to make sense, because it never made sense. Danica just got the murder priestess and dropped her somewhere. It looks like the plan always was to give her to the boss, which meant that she would certainly be tortured until death. This is incredibly callous, and was in no way necessary. But then she decides that she's a force of light. She shows no guilt. It was someone else's fault that bad things happened.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

I tried following the plot from the start, and nothing makes sense because there is no plan.

To be clear, I don't mind changes in said plan.
    As a wise gnome once said: the best strategy, if you are lucky, will last no longer than three steps, then all the chaotic elements combine and you'll have to improvise.

But changes have to make sense.
    and in this case, there is a TALK about a plan, but every time it seems to retroactively change to whatever it needs to be to move to the next scene.

Let's start from the beginning:
    The detective has all the data about the families, but his contact to the galactic defense was replaced with an ambush.
    He contacts Burke and a few contacts later in his justified paranoia, he demands that only Burke can be trusted to be the delivery guy, and the basic plan is just to deliver the data so the galactic defense can handle it properly.

This goes off the rails in the first minute.
    Grex, out of all people, decides to use Burke as the bait and go herself and not the other way around, going against both her character (sort of the protective sister), her orders as a soldier, and the requirements of the mission.
    It still works, and with no consequences, Smith just accepts Grex as the contact.

At the same time, Burke gets kidnapped, and Danica is called for the rescue.
    By the way, the kidnapping makes no sense at all.
    They didn't target Burke specifically, he was chosen at random.
    They just go to pubs and take people by force?
    Oh well, what can I expect from brilliant crime families that disguise kidnapping as MURDER to avoid being investigated.

While the whole thing was forced (Burke coming here despite being unneeded, and then the kidnapping itself), this is the only change that makes sense - delay delivering the documents, and first go to a rescue mission.
    However, everything around making it a surveillance job instead of a rescue mission is just a poor excuse to drag it longer.
    Why is the meeting so important?
    Just get the evidence that you collected that was so important, and catch them a few days later.
    They all seem to have fortresses, it's not like they are hiding.

I'm not even sure what Smith's plan is at this point about Burke.
    Just to see where he is taken to? They don't need Danica there for this, her powers can easily follow him later when he is taken.
    And when WAS he supposed to be rescued according to Smith's plan?
    She is supposed to be subtle, but what does that even mean? How was she supposed to rescue the slaves without being seen?

Regardless, Danica of course cannot ignore seeing someone get killed (that part at least follows her character), and this becomes a brawl in 10 seconds. And of course there are no consequences, since the criminal's son agrees to help.
    Again mentioning just how important the meeting is, but never explaining WHY. Not to mention that the plan changes again, and only the small group is supposed to help instead of getting the support of the galactic defense. It's like the GD are just not important anymore for Smith after all the months he invested in gathering the evidences and preparing the documents.
    The justification for this is that the plan schedule is tonight instead of what Smith expected, but what is Danica supposed to do in the meeting without the support of the GD and all the evidences?
    Probably what she should have done from the start and just take them head on, but no, we have yet another plan that revolves around stealth without once mentioning what they are supposed to do instead of using brute force. (record the meeting, sure, but what were all the documents for then? How is this consistent with the original plan?)

Anyway, threats are made, and Smith seems to be attracted to violence (Don't worry Smith, plenty of that later, you can always trust Danica with that), and the plan goes on.
    Only it doesn't, because it changes again from Danica having the role of recording (which she can safely do from outside the room) to another slave specimen, making Burke in the room pointless, again.

The meeting turns out to be just a sham, and we get another fight with seemingly some actual consequences.
    Just like every "cliffhanger", it seems that Burke is all right and getting shot in the stomach is just a booboo.
    The kid is still dead though.

So what now?
    Are we FINALLY going to turn the documents to the galactic defense and handle things properly?
    Nope, because Danica decided on her own, that combining forces with a known criminal with revenge issues is much more logical.

Smith later supports this plan over turning the material to the GD with some excuse about Abaxi taking innocents with him as he goes down.
    Strangely, that didn't bother him in his original plan, not to mention that there is still the option to send the documents and then have Danica deal with Abaxi to prevent any damage until the GD force arrives.

So we go to stealth mode again, and this time with absolutely no reason.
    Again, what is the plan? Sneak inside is step one, but what do you actually do inside that you couldn't have done with just having Danica barge in?

Like every plan so far, the ritual that was so very important as part of their history suddenly changes.
    Why? Who cares anymore? It's not like we knew what they were supposed to do if the ritual would have gone as planned.
    Burke AGAIN is disguised as a slave. Does anyone even remembers that technically he is a civilian and redundant to the plan since Danica is there?
    He could have been there if Danica wasn't since she obviously can't pretend to be something else with the huge glass on her hands, but this is ignored by the art so it doesn't matter.
    I guess her hand crystal thingy acts like cliffs in loony toons, as long as you don't specifically show it, no one will notice.

Yet again, the lack of plan changes to a fight, and by the way it ends, there was no reason for stealth in the first place.
    Actually, there was no reason to work with the crime boss at all, just fly in, punch the boss.
    Or better yet, cooperate with the freaking GD like they all originally intended!
    They all consider this a success, but it wasn't done in a stealthy way and everyone, both crime lords and Abaxi should know what happens soon enough.
    Wasn't the entire reason for the plan to change was to avoid this?

But oh no, what an unexpected development - The criminal who has no regards to human lives and filled with revenge blows up the place!
    Wow, who would have thunk...

Danica gets angry (probably because someone else other than her killed people), and yet again, we see threatening someone's life by the protagonist as a joke.

Well, to be continued I guess.
    I wonder what their next "plan" will be.
    Last edited by random11; 2020-05-31 at 07:21 AM.

13. - Top - End - #373

I can only commend you for the effort of looking for logical links Bot Logic lives in another castle!

This probably is the most disjointed of the volumes. The one about the Singing Baron was odd, but the many plots did not invalidate each other. But here... well, it looks like the characters do things without any purpose.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Bravo. I commend you for your thorough analysis. That's way more effort than I would ever spend on this comic.

15. - Top - End - #375

NecromancerGuy

So was Danica just chilling out, waiting for someone to talk about her, just so she could make an entrance?

Because her listening in is the only way her quip makes any sense.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    So was Danica just chilling out, waiting for someone to talk about her, just so she could make an entrance?

Something in this arc story making sense?
    Are you sure you're in the right thread?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

She could have super hearing, heard the line on her way in, and was quick witted enough to come up with an appropriate quip in the half second she burst through the ceiling.

...Maybe? :S

18. - Top - End - #378

It doesnt even make sense! "Why do I keep hearing about star power?" "Because im ABOUT to make a lot of noise!" "Wait what? I hear about you because you are going to make noise NOW?" "Well, I, SHUT UP!" /punches dramatically

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Well, at least this time they are dropping the pretense and just go with brute force instead of pretending to be a martial artist (with Burke as the slave towel carrier).

The concern about Abaxi already flew out the window in the previous attack, and evidence? Who needs evidence when you have a FIST?!

The thing about the evidence is hilarious when you think about it.
    All the crime families weren't protected because they had secret hideouts, they were protected because they were (somehow) good at having no proof against them.
    So according to the law, they are innocent citizens, and Danica is just charging in punching them.

Wouldn't it be funny if she brings all the criminals and gets arrested for assault instead of getting praises?
    Obviously it's not going to happen, but I can just imagine the scene:

Danica: Here, I brought all the crime lords.
    PSI agent: Ummm, there are no warrants against them, what are you bringing them in for?
    Danica: Well, there is the proof in the documents Smith prepared!
    PSI agent: Did you confirm them, or even actually read them?
    Danica: Um.... No, I didn't have time for that, but I can vouch for Smith as a professional.
    PSI agent: Because we DID read them, and they are just a stack of papers with the writing "Happy happy, joy joy" over and over again.
    (In the background, Smith pulled in a straight jackets while giggling maniacally)
    Danica: ........
    PSI: Let's talk about the assault charges against you by at least 30 citizens, that is, the 30 that are STILL ALIVE!

20. - Top - End - #380

Oh look, Star Power is facing a bunch of unarmed martial artists. I wonder who will win (yawn).

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    By the way, the kidnapping makes no sense at all.
    They didn't target Burke specifically, he was chosen at random.
    They just go to pubs and take people by force?
    Actually, they -explicitly- targeted Burke specifically. And the reason they targeted him makes perfect sense. He was assaulting a female Adraxees, causing trouble on -their- turf. Word spread, and they picked him up.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

22. - Top - End - #382

Spoiler
    Show
    Update

Well, at least this time they are dropping the pretense and just go with brute force instead of pretending to be a martial artist (with Burke as the slave towel carrier).

The concern about Abaxi already flew out the window in the previous attack, and evidence? Who needs evidence when you have a FIST?!

The thing about the evidence is hilarious when you think about it.
    All the crime families weren't protected because they had secret hideouts, they were protected because they were (somehow) good at having no proof against them.
    So according to the law, they are innocent citizens, and Danica is just charging in punching them.

Wouldn't it be funny if she brings all the criminals and gets arrested for assault instead of getting praises?
    Obviously it's not going to happen, but I can just imagine the scene:

Danica: Here, I brought all the crime lords.
    PSI agent: Ummm, there are no warrants against them, what are you bringing them in for?
    Danica: Well, there is the proof in the documents Smith prepared!
    PSI agent: Did you confirm them, or even actually read them?
    Danica: Um.... No, I didn't have time for that, but I can vouch for Smith as a professional.
    PSI agent: Because we DID read them, and they are just a stack of papers with the writing "Happy happy, joy joy" over and over again.
    (In the background, Smith pulled in a straight jackets while giggling maniacally)
    Danica: ........
    PSI: Let's talk about the assault charges against you by at least 30 citizens, that is, the 30 that are STILL ALIVE!
    Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    Oh look, Star Power is facing a bunch of unarmed martial artists. I wonder who will win (yawn).
    Seriously, this issue is going to live for centuries in the Playground great annals of narrative absurdities. The volume already wasn't making any sense, then Mookie found himself caught off-balance by having to close not just the volume, but the whole series. So this HAS to go out with a bang, all the possible mookieisms and superheroisms on an already logically bankrupt foundation with a background of a completely undeveloped character that has to face nonexistant challenges to reach an equally nonexistant growth for her memorable farewell. I have to admit, however, that I liked Rise of Skywalker, so I await with trepidation, or at least curiosity.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Actually, they -explicitly- targeted Burke specifically. And the reason they targeted him makes perfect sense. He was assaulting a female Adraxees, causing trouble on -their- turf. Word spread, and they picked him up.
    I stand corrected, Burke has the worst luck when it comes to slave traders.

And still, no background checks beyond what's convenient, no confirmation if he has a family, someone who will search for him, not even confirming if he really was a pimp (or whatever they suspected him to be).
    I mean, they knew he was a void angel and that he served his time, but didn't know he had a job as a truck driver, and landed just a few hours ago in this planet?
    That's a BIG red flag here.

It gets much worse later with Danica presented as a slave.
    They actually presented her as a scientist from sanctuary station, and the reaction was "makes a good breeding stock" instead of something along the lines of "I know you are new in this, but are you insane?! she has a steady job, people outside the planet who might look for her like friends and family..."

Of course, these weren't the real head of the families, but they were disguised as ones so they imitated the reaction the real ones would have at this point, and if the reaction was strange, non of the characters noticed it.
    So they presented Danica AS a random target as if that's the norm, and no one cared as a reaction, confirming that.

24. - Top - End - #384

I stand corrected, Burke has the worst luck when it comes to slave traders.

And still, no background checks beyond what's convenient, no confirmation if he has a family, someone who will search for him, not even confirming if he really was a pimp (or whatever they suspected him to be).
    I mean, they knew he was a void angel and that he served his time, but didn't know he had a job as a truck driver, and landed just a few hours ago in this planet?
    That's a BIG red flag here.

It gets much worse later with Danica presented as a slave.
    They actually presented her as a scientist from sanctuary station, and the reaction was "makes a good breeding stock" instead of something along the lines of "I know you are new in this, but are you insane?! she has a steady job, people outside the planet who might look for her like friends and family..."

Of course, these weren't the real head of the families, but they were disguised as ones so they imitated the reaction the real ones would have at this point, and if the reaction was strange, non of the characters noticed it.
    So they presented Danica AS a random target as if that's the norm, and no one cared as a reaction, confirming that.
    A few comics further in, ugh, I forgot how PATHETIC the hit squad was. 5 feet away a half dozen goons with automatic laser guns couldnt hit a single freaking target when they clearly had time to fire off several rounds before danica fired up the star power. Including grex who was in a total panic attack at the time and in no shape to actually get down or otherwise try to avoid standing there out in the open. Freaking CLONE TROOPERS would mock them relentlessly for their lack of skill.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Okay, is the boss lady supposed to look like a kid?
    Because she looks like a kid.
    So short...

Makes Danica look even more like a bully than usual.
    Which is an accomplishment considering she looks like one when fighting warships.

No seriously, I see that girl and wonder if it's "bring your child to work day" on Planet Mafia.
    You know, let the daughter gather some experience overseeing the business.
    And suddenly, Alien Invasion.

26. - Top - End - #386

"Ill her" may be the lamest pun ever. And I don't have even many standards about puns.

Also, do I need to mention how stupidly overconfident are these gangsters?

You know the same superheroine who has been shown crushing battleships and armies with her bare hands has come to your planet looking for scum like you. Suddenly your ceiling explodes and said super comes floating down and looking at you with murder in her white glowing eyes.
    Is not time to sic your dogs to her. It's time to surrender, call your lawyer and try to keep the composture ( aka avoid soiling yourself). Above all AVOID PISSING HER FURTHER.

27. - Top - End - #387

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Okay, is the boss lady supposed to look like a kid?
    Because she looks like a kid.
    So short...
    I think so. She's even shorter than her human. Compare Grex: https://starpowercomic.com/comic/the-no-show/?nav=prev

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

She might just be a midget, but the anime proportions do make her look like a kid, so I dunno.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

What I like about the Superman as a concept, is not his powers, but how he restrains them.
    The number of times he could overuse his powers but chooses not to because of his ideals are his true power.

I'm not saying every hero should be like Superman, but Danica is getting close to methods that the robo-thingy that promised to stop her if she goes too far should intervene...

30. - Top - End - #390

What I like about the Superman as a concept, is not his powers, but how he restrains them.
    The number of times he could overuse his powers but chooses not to because of his ideals are his true power.

I'm not saying every hero should be like Superman, but Danica is getting close to methods that the robo-thingy that promised to stop her if she goes too far should intervene...
    Which may be the point. After all, that would be an excellent ending arc, danica goes too far, has to learn a valuable lesson, and hopefully not get killed by robo lad. We end the series with her a sadder and wiser astronomer superhero.