New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power 7: Bad Luck for the Starstruck!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    This is page 9, so 15 pages, or seven weeks and a half.
    You know what? Screw that.
    Might as well write now, it's not like it's going to improve or that there is any way to revert the damage anyway.

So, this time I'm going to stick as much as possible to the actual text in the comic, with minimal additions only when I have to.

What do we know so far?
    1) The planet (or just these cities, not sure) distrust the GD after years of propaganda against them, along with justified examples of corrupt cops.
    2) Danica is not a vigilante heroine, she works under the chief. Not sure if technically that makes her a police force or an army force, but let's settle for GD representative.
    3) While she doesn't technically have a secret identity, her identity is well known to some parts of the GD, and generally not public knowledge (this is sort of a guess, since she seems to be recognized only when convenient).
    4) Not taking the crime lords is NOT a logistical problem. GD has plenty of force if needed for this, the lacking thing is evidence to do so.

Now for the main part:

What do we actually have in this arc?
    We have Danica that was sent for a specific mission (rescue Burke, bring back evidence).
    She then decides on her own, without real understanding of the social/political/cultural issues, in areas that mistrusts the GD and their motives and trusts the crime lords for protection, to break into their houses without a warrant, using extreme force, and "arresting them" without the evidences or the proper authority required to do so, and all this as a force that represents the GD but without a known identity or any way of accountability.
    Oh, and just in case you thought her state of mind is a somber "this had to be done this way", she takes happy photos with the suspects after they were beaten and tied.

Starting to see what my problem is?

The last update is maybe what increased my anger by another notch, Smith actually APOLOGIZING for trying to do things "his way", as in the freaking legal and proper way things should have been handled!
    And this is not a case where the evidence do not exist, it was right there, on a silver platter, just waiting to be used.

Yes, I'm well aware Mookie did not intend for this message, nor to the horrible timing for such message.
    But even if I try to consider intent here, there is a limit to how much you can be completely oblivious to the message of "might makes right" in your own story, especially on times like these.

So I want to end it with a serious question: Mookie, are you SURE this is the hero we need right now?
    Last edited by random11; 2020-06-18 at 02:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Colossus in the Playground

The thing is, he DOES have the evidence, thats what started the whole mess iirc. He just knew he couldnt give it to the locals because he wasnt sure of all the ones on the take. The original plan was to take the bosses down at their big gathering but that fell apart. After all the random stuff that went wrong including the terrorist bombing of the assassins creed in thunderdome family, danica decided "To heck with subtlety, im gonna wreck it!" And has gathered up most, if not all, of the heads of the families. I swear we are missing one or two, but I may be counting wrong what with the wiping out of the killers. So chances are they still have the evidence needed to actually put them away, but I have no idea if that even matters as they have been violently kidnapped and restrained by someone who is NOT actually law enforcement without any sort of warrant. And its not like the countess or black hole bill or pork chop dragon novas as those were all self defense scenarios, this time she hunted them all down, busted into their private property, beat up their goons, then took them in. But I bet that wont even be addressed.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #453
    Barbarian in the Playground

The thing is everything could have been avoided if Smith had sent the intel to Chief directly. He said "I don't trust anyone but Burke", but never adressed what the ex-convict was supposed to do with the proof without relying on authorities.

And after that, he simply decided Grex had a better rack than Burke so what the hell.:)
    Last edited by faustin; 2020-06-19 at 05:35 AM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Actually, I don't really get it? How exactly was he like the bad guys? Someone help me here.
    Spending years collection evidence turns you into a slave-trading, incestuous, necrophiliac assassin. Punching people in the face is good for your Instastory.
    You could actually see this weird behaviour during the comic. He slept with Grex, who was alive. A living person is basically just a dead person in training. And they also felt a certain kinship. Like brother and sister, just with different DNA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Spending years collection evidence turns you into a slave-trading, incestuous, necrophiliac assassin. Punching people in the face is good for your Instastory.
    You could actually see this weird behaviour during the comic. He slept with Grex, who was alive. A living person is basically just a dead person in training. And they also felt a certain kinship. Like brother and sister, just with different DNA.
    Damn. Reading this is giving me flashbacks to presidential debates. Are you secretly a politician?
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Damn. Reading this is giving me flashbacks to presidential debates. Are you secretly a politician?
    I have a M.B.A. and used to work as consultant. Lieing has become my second nature.
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

While technically this time it's not fully Danica's fault since it started before her rampage, I find it funny that the only one she didn't beat up is the on that caused the most damage to innocents during the time she is there.

8. - Top - End - #458

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Update

While technically this time it's not fully Danica's fault since it started before her rampage, I find it funny that the only one she didn't beat up is the on that caused the most damage to innocents during the time she is there.
    Its not like she had any idea that was going on. None of them knew afaik.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its not like she had any idea that was going on. None of them knew afaik.
    They didn't and couldn't know THIS specific thing would happen, but they still left a criminal who knew about their basic plan to stop the crime lords (which includes him).
    At the very least they should have been concerned about him destroying evidences against him and as a result keep him under guard at all times.
    Then again, we STILL don't know where the other dozens of prisoners are held in (they are certainly not in the tiny sleaze house they are in).

Speaking of bad plans, Update.
    I, a super-powered being, am going to handle the last crime lord.
    At the same time, you, three unqualified people for the job, basically storm a police station.

Even if the distraction works and somehow draws some of the police force out of there, there should still be plenty of cops there.
    And given they have no warrant or authority, even simple cops who are just doing their job will see this as an attack on the station and not as a legal arrest.
    Yep, you are certainly going to remind them what a galactic defense officer is, by breaking every rule in the book.

And on the logistic side, unless this is Gotham PD, a place invaded so many times criminals had to take numbers and stand in line before breaking in there, I don't see this plan working at all, certainly not without innocent casualties.

10. - Top - End - #460

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    They didn't and couldn't know THIS specific thing would happen, but they still left a criminal who knew about their basic plan to stop the crime lords (which includes him).
    At the very least they should have been concerned about him destroying evidences against him and as a result keep him under guard at all times.
    Then again, we STILL don't know where the other dozens of prisoners are held in (they are certainly not in the tiny sleaze house they are in).

Speaking of bad plans, Update.
    I, a super-powered being, am going to handle the last crime lord.
    At the same time, you, three unqualified people for the job, basically storm a police station.

Even if the distraction works and somehow draws some of the police force out of there, there should still be plenty of cops there.
    And given they have no warrant or authority, even simple cops who are just doing their job will see this as an attack on the station and not as a legal arrest.
    Yep, you are certainly going to remind them what a galactic defense officer is, by breaking every rule in the book.

And on the logistic side, unless this is Gotham PD, a place invaded so many times criminals had to take numbers and stand in line before breaking in there, I don't see this plan working at all, certainly not without innocent casualties.
    Meh, chances are they wont be storming the police station, instead they will be ambushing him as he slaughters all sorts of random criminals.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is the inside of Burke's collar glowing?

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Because he's wearing a light jacket.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Maybe Danica's hiding under it?

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post

Okay, I admit, that was funny.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    I wish I could upvote this.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

. . . I have doubts as to their ability to storm GDHQ, not that we'll ever see them try, but I guess it's confirmed that she really is just chilling out and waiting for someone to say something she can make a quip to before making her explosive entrances.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Y'know what? Thank you. At least this is an answer.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

This page makes no sense. Logically, GD dude would hang up after panel two with the text on panel three being him talking to himself, trying to sort through his problems. However, Danica responded to the "good at stealth" comment, indicating that GD dude was still on the phone at that point and then hung up after panel three, but that's a really weird time to hang up on someone. You do it after yelling at them, not after unloading your problems at them. Did Mookie just forget that Danica shouldn't know what was said in panel three?

18. - Top - End - #468

This page makes no sense. Logically, GD dude would hang up after panel two with the text on panel three being him talking to himself, trying to sort through his problems. However, Danica responded to the "good at stealth" comment, indicating that GD dude was still on the phone at that point and then hung up after panel three, but that's a really weird time to hang up on someone. You do it after yelling at them, not after unloading your problems at them. Did Mookie just forget that Danica shouldn't know what was said in panel three?
    Could be coincidence? After all, her sucking at stealth has been a feature this entire time. She is TERRIBLE at keeping her head down, sneaking into enemy lairs and waiting till the time is right to do something. Its why she switched to danica SMASH these last few updates and thats worked great. Her "one liner" was the reference to busting into the place and wrecking everyone there like they were just talking about doing to the cops.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Could be coincidence? After all, her sucking at stealth has been a feature this entire time. She is TERRIBLE at keeping her head down, sneaking into enemy lairs and waiting till the time is right to do something. Its why she switched to danica SMASH these last few updates and thats worked great. Her "one liner" was the reference to busting into the place and wrecking everyone there like they were just talking about doing to the cops.
    Maybe? It's still poor writing, though, as it creates detrimental confusion.

20. - Top - End - #470

Maybe? It's still poor writing, though, as it creates detrimental confusion.
    It may have been an attempt to make a meta joke. Everyone in comic is in awe of her stealth ability but she and her friends acknowledge she sucks at stealth. But yeah, the poor writing comment still stands.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm more bothered by those guys's "uniform".
    I mean it was dumb with the other groups, but at least they didn't run around in undershirts.
    What's the theme here?
    Can't afford clothes?
    Sure, it's probably a realistic look for gang members hanging out, doubly so compared to the murder cultists and the deathmatch dojo but all in the exact same outfit?

And the whole "shoot up Galactic Defense" plan...
    Even if Danica hadn't broken in at that point I wouldn't be worried.
    The friggin space bikers with the stupid name were a more credible threat.
    I mean even ignoring those clowns obviously don't know what "galactic" means, what are they going to do?
    Throw empty space-beer bottles?

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I'm more bothered by those guys's "uniform".
    I mean it was dumb with the other groups, but at least they didn't run around in undershirts.
    What's the theme here?
    Can't afford clothes?
    Sure, it's probably a realistic look for gang members hanging out, doubly so compared to the murder cultists and the deathmatch dojo but all in the exact same outfit?

And the whole "shoot up Galactic Defense" plan...
    Even if Danica hadn't broken in at that point I wouldn't be worried.
    The friggin space bikers with the stupid name were a more credible threat.
    I mean even ignoring those clowns obviously don't know what "galactic" means, what are they going to do?
    Throw empty space-beer bottles?
    I'm assuming they're the stand in for modern black and/or Mexican gangs that, in general, wear casual clothes. Not sure why they are all specifically wearing white tank tops and blue jeans, though. I'd say it's racist, but I honestly don't know what kind of insult it could be, so I guess not?

23. - Top - End - #473
    Firbolg in the Playground

I can't help but feel that jamming two issues together has improved the pacing by a lot.

Also,

Spoiler: Bask in his glory
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

I retract my previous post. Clearly, this family's gimmick is that they're all fans of Con Air.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm assuming they're the stand in for modern black and/or Mexican gangs that, in general, wear casual clothes. Not sure why they are all specifically wearing white tank tops and blue jeans, though. I'd say it's racist, but I honestly don't know what kind of insult it could be, so I guess not?
    They are really muscular. Maybe they are a gym-themed gang?
    ― Joseph Stalin

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I dunno, we already have the martial artists with the kid boss (and gladiator fights). Might overlap a little.

On the other hand we have both a murder cult and those incestous necrophiliacs.
    Although those less overlap than they synergize.

27. - Top - End - #477

Yeah these are the roid rager gym nut gangsters. Take a close look at them then remember this is a race that hides behind coat racks they are so tall and rail thin. Even for humans they could pass off as roid soaked anger spewers.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Firbolg in the Playground

Possibly the best thing Mookie has ever written:

https://starpowercomic.com/its-my-birthday/

I am sometimes surprised by how good certain blog posts by webcomic authors are. Another case was with Goblins, with the blog post requesting help for the transition. It was very terse and rational while explaining emotions and needs, quite a contrast with the comic on whose website it was on. It's also been taken off the site, for some reason.

And then there was the What if... series by XKCD, the best I have ever read by Randall.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Possibly the best thing Mookie has ever written:

https://starpowercomic.com/its-my-birthday/

I am sometimes surprised by how good certain blog posts by webcomic authors are. Another case was with Goblins, with the blog post requesting help for the transition. It was very terse and rational while explaining emotions and needs, quite a contrast with the comic on whose website it was on. It's also been taken off the site, for some reason.

And then there was the What if... series by XKCD, the best I have ever read by Randall.
    Only Mookie could write that and be totally, 100% unironic about it. Good on him.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Really? You're shooting her?
    What exactly is that supposed to accomplish?
    Best case she has to shield herself for a moment.
    Worst case you got your own guys.
    Whatever he takes to get those muscles probably rotted his brain...