New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power 7: Bad Luck for the Starstruck!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I agree with you that such overreactions are, generally, intolerable. My problem with this is that the representation is so quiet, so subtle that it may as well not exist. Smith looks like a normal straight dude, acts like a normal straight dude, and is by all examination just a normal straight dude. Him not being such is merely an informed trait that we are told about but never see. This is roughly on par with JK Rowling simply telling us that Dumbledore is gay. It's trying to appease the LGBT crowd without putting in any actual effort to add in real representation. It's queer baiting.
    Honestly? I have a hard time coming up with decent ways to establish a character as lgbt without going full ham stereotyping, or it being a main character focus of the story. Its HARD to bring in a secondary character and establish them in a good balance between dumbledoore and titus andromedon. Its a tightrope to avoid the backlash of trying too hard or not trying at all. Its a lot easier when the lgbt character is the protagonist or otherwise a main focus because you can more easily create a character where "and gay" (or whatever) can be tacked on to the rest of a fully developed personality. But for characters like mr detective here it far too easily comes off as tokenism because they DONT get the benefit of extensive character development.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Honestly? I have a hard time coming up with decent ways to establish a character as lgbt without going full ham stereotyping, or it being a main character focus of the story. Its HARD to bring in a secondary character and establish them in a good balance between dumbledoore and titus andromedon. Its a tightrope to avoid the backlash of trying too hard or not trying at all. Its a lot easier when the lgbt character is the protagonist or otherwise a main focus because you can more easily create a character where "and gay" (or whatever) can be tacked on to the rest of a fully developed personality. But for characters like mr detective here it far too easily comes off as tokenism because they DONT get the benefit of extensive character development.
    You're right. It is thin line to walk, but that's because so many people who try to walk it seem to forget the way writing works. In any story, there will be an assortment of characters with varying focus: primary, secondary, tertiary, etc. The more ancillary to the story, the more simplistic and one-dimensional the characters are, by necessity. If you try making a side character your gay representation, it can only come across as tokenism or lazy. That's unavoidable. Of course, if you make your main character gay, then it necessarily becomes a central focus, and you're now telling a gay story rather than a story with gay characters. However, there is a sweet spot with the secondary characters. They are developed enough that being gay can merely be one of several traits, and they're also out of focus enough to not alter the core of the story.

This is the stumbling block so many writers fall over. They want to add gay characters, but they don't want to make the "important" characters the gay ones. Thus, they make side characters gay; it doesn't go well; and they become even less likely to take the bold step forward. If Mookie wanted to add good LGBT representation without it consuming the story, he should have had, say, one of the three soldiers be the one. Perhaps frog guy has a boyfriend. Or maybe the squid girl isn't really a "girl" because squids have no gender. Or just make Smith a woman, and keep the sex scene as is. Either way, they would have made for better candidates as they already have some level of development in other areas (not much, admittedly but some). The issue is especially apparent when Mookie makes a blog post patting himself on the back for his progressiveness and representation and then follows it up with an attempt so lazy and shoddy that I legitimately did not even recognize it until it was pointed out to me.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

When it comes to representation of minority groups, I think there are two different ways to do it right.

One is the direct approach.
    Tell the story of the problems the group is facing either by taking a character from that group or use metaphors (like X-Men)

There is also the silent approach which is just to take a character, say he belongs to the group and more or less leave it there.
    This is more important than it seems, and it's something I learned several years ago when I started reading the "Rivers of London" books (very recommended BTW).
    The main character is a cop, also a wizard, and happens to be black.
    The problem I noticed is that in the first books, unless it was specifically mentioned, whenever I tried to imagine a scene, I pictured him as a white dude.

This is not my fault, the brain works in patterns and the word "wizard" is almost exclusively related to white dudes in folklore, books, and movies.
    It took me awhile to "retrain" my brain and the exercise made me think about how important this kind of representation is.
    If a work is associated only to a specific group, it's good that any form of media helps to breaks the pattern.

This is also why I have a love/hate relationship with the CW TV shows.
    On one hand, they are HORRIBLE when it comes to writing relationships, so on the surface, their overuse of LGBT characters might create the impression that this group of people is unable to have a normal relationship.
    On the other hand, by "flooding" the heroes with LGBT characters they become a major factor to help break the patterns, opening the possibility for a decent company with good writers to take it from there.

Regarding JK Rowling, I think the main criticism was because she said "Dumbeldore is gay" in tweets, but then in movies that she had direct control of, this was ignored.

4. - Top - End - #124

Ok, this update seems dumb. Maybe grex isnt aware that crime daddy barely even tolerates the existence of his son? Or that being a crime boss means you arent an idiot and he just watched danica go rambo on a group of thugs to prevent someone from being shot and so is VERY unlikely to let her murder the one criminal offering to help in cold blood? I mean, ive seen this method get used before, but it involves using a target the bad guy is obsessed over that they can convince them they will destroy.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, this update seems dumb. Maybe grex isnt aware that crime daddy barely even tolerates the existence of his son? Or that being a crime boss means you arent an idiot and he just watched danica go rambo on a group of thugs to prevent someone from being shot and so is VERY unlikely to let her murder the one criminal offering to help in cold blood? I mean, ive seen this method get used before, but it involves using a target the bad guy is obsessed over that they can convince them they will destroy.
    My guess? She is counting on it.
    By proving to the son that daddy doesn't love him, she can make him turn on his family all the way and the father won't be needed anymore. Somehow.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to throw another please-prove-me-wrong guess:

After all this arc is over the kid is going to abandon the life of crime, and replace the current corrupted police captain.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

"Threatening to murder people is wrong, unless my friend does it. Then it's cool!"

Our hero, ladies and gentlemen. I really can't tell if this is supposed to be a tasteless joke or if Mookie is seriously that thoughtlessly naive. Either way, it doesn't look good.

Also, our LGBT representative is now a sexual deviant with a fetish for murder. I sure hope that people aren't still trying to defend this as not being obviously offensive.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2019-10-21 at 11:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wait, so now the bad guy suddenly cares about his son's life?
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

My only defense for this is that they know it's a hollow threat.
    But yes, there is something wrong with the reaction here.

Not really sure if the father cares about his son, and frankly, I don't care.
    It's characters we just met, we have no knowledge on their past or actual desires and motivations.
    Beyond their practical use for the meeting, the story gave us almost nothing about them.

10. - Top - End - #130

Crap, there is a Sith among the families.

Also, how many times the words "live trafficking" are going to appear?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

can't help noticing that the "free samples" are not in the room.
    Were they expected, or was this a bonus?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Those two in the second panel are weirdly close to each other. Is this a Romeo and Juliet situation or an Alabama situation?

13. - Top - End - #133

Those two in the second panel are weirdly close to each other. Is this a Romeo and Juliet situation or an Alabama situation?
    Twincest is wincest

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Don't really get their slave strategy.

An ex-convict, I can understand.
    No connections, and no one looking for him.

But capture a sanctuary scientist without an actual need specifically for that?
    Unlike Burke, she has a steady job, people looking for her, hardly sounds like it's worth the risk if she is treated like just "a female human".

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Update

Don't really get their slave strategy.

An ex-convict, I can understand.
    No connections, and no one looking for him.

But capture a sanctuary scientist without an actual need specifically for that?
    Unlike Burke, she has a steady job, people looking for her, hardly sounds like it's worth the risk if she is treated like just "a female human".
    It should be abundantly clear by now that Mookie doesn't actually know anything about organized crime or slave trading. I guess that's good in one sense, but it does make for a rather unbelievable story.

I'm more distracted by the fact that he's trying really hard to make these gangsters come across as offensively evil, but he's just too good natured and innocent to know how to pull that off. It reads like a little kid version of evil.

16. - Top - End - #136

The only explanation that makes sense is this was an example of how they have the ability to get at anyone to kidnap them. Basically like showing off your ability to steal by robbing fort knox. Yeah it would be stupidly difficult dangerous and get you lots of heat, but if you can pull it off, you pretty solidly display your bonafides to any other group of thieves.

17. - Top - End - #137

Update

Mobsters? Check
    Necromancy? Check
    Craving blood and human sacrifice? Check
    Incest and general creepiness? Check

Confirmed. The Maham Dra is the Giovanni Clan from Vampire the Masquerade, in space.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Firbolg in the Playground

As Alien Godfatherson correctly observes, they must have rehearsed this.

EDIT: For some reason, it reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tj5ye2r8RI
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2019-10-31 at 05:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #139

Sounds like they waited too long to get involved and now the other families are going to be massive tools about it. Also, there is a setup here, but im still wondering about what precisely. Wouldnt it be hilariously odd if the other families set this meeting up so their bought and paid for cops could sweep this one family up while the head is distracted as a way to both get rid of an obstacle, and gain even more control over things behind the scenes?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Back from vacation, and oh boy did I miss a lot.
    Well, actually not that much, but whatever...

It should be abundantly clear by now that Mookie doesn't actually know anything about organized crime or slave trading. I guess that's good in one sense, but it does make for a rather unbelievable story.

I'm more distracted by the fact that he's trying really hard to make these gangsters come across as offensively evil, but he's just too good natured and innocent to know how to pull that off. It reads like a little kid version of evil.
    The only explanation that makes sense is this was an example of how they have the ability to get at anyone to kidnap them. Basically like showing off your ability to steal by robbing fort knox. Yeah it would be stupidly difficult dangerous and get you lots of heat, but if you can pull it off, you pretty solidly display your bonafides to any other group of thieves.
    Combining the two comments, I imagined the scene after someone robs Fort Knox in a Mookie story:
    Well, now that we have all this gold we can spend it on cigarettes, and sugary products that are bad for your teeth!
    Because that's clearly what bad criminals do, right?!

Given that we don't really know what organized crime families actually do (and neither does the author), I'll have to go with the generic crimes assuming that there are some items that are illegal to sell, some illegal drug-like substances etc.
    So finally, to my question, sure, I understand slavery is bad and also a highly rated crime as well as a profitable one.
    But how is it possibly the only crime uniting families?
    Is there no other crime that requires cooperation or at least coordination between them?

Smuggling for example, probably a much lesser crime but from the purely logistical level it requires the same resources and cooperation between the families.
    Not to mention borders between the families, bribery of local police, contacts from the higher ranking federation officers, contacts with sellers and buyers.

---

As for the latest update, here it comes, the scenario that makes Danica's mistake completely pointless.

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post

---

As for the latest update, here it comes, the scenario that makes Danica's mistake completely pointless.

Update

Yup. Totally pointless.
    Is like the whole thing was nothing more than an interlude until Danica could show off her awesomeness again.

Also, what does the assassin mean with "The Starpower? you know what to do"?
    Do they have Batman level of preparation and kept Scilliant Metal bullets ready for this occasion?
    Last edited by faustin; 2019-11-06 at 06:20 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

They switched to blades, so either they have a prepared strategy, it's the kryptonite metal, or some other weapon designed specifically for her.
    It doesn't look like the kryptonite metal since it doesn't have the same color (also, carrying unti-starpower weapon all the times doesn't make much sense), but who knows?

23. - Top - End - #143

If they have scintillian metal weapons im going to be ticked. I can already hear it, "omg, they are a large crime family, clearly they would be interested in smuggling (like criminals) some of this new alien metal out! So it totally makes sense that they would carry it around with them in blade form!" Im HOPING the plan is to spread out and give her more targets to worry about as they attack everyone. Sort of a suicide charge hoping to hit their targets before they can be stopped like fanatics.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

That's exactly the line I came here to complain about, but you folks are already on top of it. I guess I have nothing more to add than a, "Yeah, me too."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Alternatively.

They do not know what they're doing. That's what I'm putting my money on.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    The universe will conspire to make Danica's choice the most strategical one.
    Congratulations! Or not.....if you were hoping the story would get good instead.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

27. - Top - End - #147

Well, at least they are smarter than DC average mooks who just keep shooting at Superman or Wonder Woman as if were going to work.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    Well, at least they are smarter than DC average mooks who just keep shooting at Superman or Wonder Woman as if were going to work.
    Is it really better when they toss down their guns and start attacking with knives? "Ok, the bullets are bouncing off of superman, this isnt going to work. Wait a sec!" /picks up pipe "IM GONNA WHUP YOUR BUTT SUPERMAN!" /enacts charge of the light brigade

29. - Top - End - #149

NecromancerGuy

Well, if they had just kept shooting it might have worked? That shield is kind of crap. It doesn't cover nearly as much as it should, and she totally left far too much of her own body as well as the bodies of her friends exposed.

She's just lucky that these supposedly scary assassins can't shoot worth a damn, because those shots are wiiiiiide.

Must be the weirdly heavy gravity. Only way to explain them aiming straight ahead and mulching so much of the table in the previous comic. Clearly their shots are going everywhere because they've been trying to compensate.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    Well, if they had just kept shooting it might have worked? That shield is kind of crap. It doesn't cover nearly as much as it should, and she totally left far too much of her own body as well as the bodies of her friends exposed.

She's just lucky that these supposedly scary assassins can't shoot worth a damn, because those shots are wiiiiiide.

Must be the weirdly heavy gravity. Only way to explain them aiming straight ahead and mulching so much of the table in the previous comic. Clearly their shots are going everywhere because they've been trying to compensate.
    Or they were shooting as they pulled the guns out and up. Less time to react as you are being riddled with bullets/energy blasts/whatever if they arent bothering to wait to aim first. The recoil also probably helped with raising the barrel towards the target that much faster as well. Truly the work of professionals. /serious nod.