New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Best adamantine weapon for cutting into solid objects?

My instinct is "greatsword," since it's 2d6 of damage, but there's probably better. You likely don't need to be proficient; your goal here is to hit things that aren't exactly resisting and are pretty large. Likely AC 5. And in all honesty, even a nat 1 doesn't make much sense as a "miss." But is there something better than "the most dice you can find on a slashing weapon" for this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Best adamantine weapon for cutting into solid objects?

It's hard to beat the good old executioner's mace. It's a 2d6 damage martial weapon. It deals slashing and bludgeoning damage, or it deals piercing and bludgeoning damage, at your option. And you can cast Greater mighty Wallop on it to bump it up to 8d6 damage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Depends whether you need precision or if you just want it broken. A hacksaw or drill is ideal for the former; a sledgehammer is ideal for the latter.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Depends whether you need precision or if you just want it broken. A hacksaw or drill is ideal for the former; a sledgehammer is ideal for the latter.
    I’m actually picturing using this to cut through walls and dig into stone.

Do you have mechanics for those items, or are you basing this on real world tool usage? (I agree, in the real world, those are some tools designed for the task.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post

Do you have mechanics for those items, or are you basing this on real world tool usage? (I agree, in the real world, those are some tools designed for the task.)
    The former two appear in Dungeonscape for 600 gp and 200 gp, respectively, and the latter appears in the "Class Acts: Warrior" section of Dragon #359 for 2500 gp (alongside the adamantine bolt cutter, 250 gp).
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2019-06-13 at 04:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mattock of the Titans

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

If you get Arms of Plenty or Girallon's Blessing(the Savage Species version is pure art), you could get a multi-armed weapon instead and add a ridiculous Strength bonus. Probably easier than trying to improve dice.

For example, with six arms(using both spells), you'd have a 3.5x Strength to damage. If you used a Bite of the Werebear afterwards, that'd be an extra 28 damage, which is roughly equal to 8d6, and that's not even considering what might happen if you instead polymorphed into some bigger humanoid form beforehand.

8. - Top - End - #8

My instinct is "greatsword," since it's 2d6 of damage, but there's probably better. You likely don't need to be proficient; your goal here is to hit things that aren't exactly resisting and are pretty large. Likely AC 5. And in all honesty, even a nat 1 doesn't make much sense as a "miss." But is there something better than "the most dice you can find on a slashing weapon" for this?
    Watch titanic and watch that girl can't hit the same spot twice with an axe. That's how you roll a 1 against an inanimate object.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The iuak is a sort of primitive machette found in Frostburn. It can ignore up to the first 3 points of hardness of any material it is used to chop down. Since adamantine can cut through anything having a hardness less than itself, an adamantine iuak can cut through adamantine itself.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Could also go a completely different route and pick up mountain hammer (feat, stone dragon belt, or initiator level)

11. - Top - End - #11

This is on a character who likes to have a large bag of tricks, but is already overburdened with feat needs and certainly can't afford more level dips. I really am just looking to see if there's a best weapon for cutting slices out of the terrain. Or, better than a great sword. I might settle for his usual sword cane, though that might be slow going even with adamantine at only a d6+1.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

d20 Re: Best adamantine weapon for cutting into solid objects?

This is why I custom made a "woodcutter's axe" for a gritty/"realistic" Pathfinder ranger, since I figured such a tool would be best for chopping up hard/solid, (typically) immobile objects, something a greatsword might not be as effective against… however a greatsword would be more useful in combat against (typically) softer, more mobile foes, being more balanced and easier to swing (the woodcutter's axe being a two-handed improvised weapon, with the majority of weight at the head, essentially requiring you to brace yourself for a deliberate swing, whereas the weight of the greatsword should be more even along the length of the blade).

Spoiler
    Show
    WOODCUTTER'S AXE
    Aura no aura (non-magical); CL —; Price 6 gp; Weight 6 lb.

DESCRIPTION
    The woodcutter's axe is the perfect tool for cutting down trees, chopping firewood, and breaking open wooden doors or chests. If a woodcutter's axe is used in combat, treat it as a two-handed improvised weapon that deals slashing damage equal to that of a battleaxe of its size; against the aforementioned objects attacks deal double their normal damage and may ignore the object's hardness.

(I'll admit I know nothing about weapons, but it just didn't "feel" right to use a sword to chop through a wooden door or the like.)
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

This is on a character who likes to have a large bag of tricks, but is already overburdened with feat needs and certainly can't afford more level dips. I really am just looking to see if there's a best weapon for cutting slices out of the terrain. Or, better than a great sword. I might settle for his usual sword cane, though that might be slow going even with adamantine at only a d6+1.
    Get a Stone Dragon Belt then. Mountain Hammer fixes all your Hardness needs, at least. Though you'd need to cut through in one hit, so we're back to optimizing damage.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

With one of this you should get the efficiency you need. Just picture normal stats and start digging mining.