New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Improvised Weapon Master

So one of my friends is trying to play a very Jackie Chan character with him rushing to use improvised weapons most of the time. Now the only thing is though right now there isn't really enough incentives for him to do so, in fact when you count how he could just attack with a spear it's a overall weak choice. Now some people might say this is accurate considering it's improvised weapons which is true but it's discouraging a super fun playstyle so I made this feat to try and make his fun combat strategy effective.

Improvised Weapon Master
    - You gain a +1 to your Strength or Dexterity score, up to 20

- You gain proficiency with improvised weapons

- Picking up and putting improvised weapons in your main hand is a free action and can be done multiple times in a turn

- You gain the ability to use improvised weapons to their full extent, where most people see a table and just see something to eat from you see a strong defensive shield that can be used like a spear or where most people see a chair as something to sit on you see it as multiple different batons. When you attack with a improvised weapons you can perform a special attack described below, you can only perform them once per turn

1) Splintering attack, you use all your force to swing a item so hard it breaks but it splinters and deals extra damage. The attack gains a bonus to damage equal to your proficiency modifier but your improvised weapon is no longer usable

2) Pushing attack, you use the size and weight behind a object to allow you to push against opponents. Whenever you hit someone with a improvised weapon you can attempt to push them 5 feet with a opposed athletics (strength) check

3) Pulling attack, you can attempt to move and position a improvised weapon in such a way that it affects the opponent's stability. After you hit someone with an attack you can attempt to give advantage to the next attack made against them by performing a apposed acrobatics (dexterity) or athletics (strength) check

so I've attempted to make this balanced and make improvised weapons viable, thoughts on this feat?
    Last edited by Bannan_mantis; 2019-06-14 at 09:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Improvised Weapon Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bannan_mantis View Post
    So one of my friends is trying to play a very Jackie Chan character with him rushing to use improvised weapons most of the time. Now the only thing is though right now there isn't really enough incentives for him to do so, in fact when you count how he could just attack with a spear it's a overall weak choice. Now some people might say this is accurate considering it's improvised weapons which is true but it's discouraging a super fun playstyle so I made this feat to try and make his fun combat strategy effective.

Improvised Weapon Master

- Picking up and putting improvised weapons in your main hand is a free action and can be done multiple times in a turn

- You gain the ability to use improvised weapons to their full extent, where most people see a table and just see something to eat from you see a strong defensive shield that can be used like a spear or where most people see a chair as something to sit on you see it as multiple different batons. When you attack with a improvised weapons you can perform a special attack described below, you can only perform them once per turn

1) Splintering attack, you use all your force to swing a item so hard it breaks but it splinters and deals extra damage. The attack gains a bonus to damage equal to your proficiency modifier but your improvised weapon is no longer usable

2) Pushing attack, you use the size and weight behind a object to allow you to push against opponents. Whenever you hit someone with a improvised weapon you can attempt to push them 5 feet with a opposed athletics (strength) check

3) Pulling attack, you can attempt to move and position a improvised weapon in such a way that it affects the opponent's stability. After you hit someone with an attack you can attempt to give advantage to the next attack made against them by performing a apposed acrobatics (dexterity) or athletics (strength) check

so I've attempted to make this balanced and make improvised weapons viable, thoughts on this feat?
    That's a bit complicated for a single feat - it's basically a weapon half-feat (due to the stat bump), plus a better Martial Adept variant. It'd make more sense to pair it to something else - like a half-feat that gives proficiency with improvised weapons, with a better-scaling damage die, given to a battlemaster fighter (or Spell-Less Ranger, either UA from WotC or my own Further Revised Ranger with Mantle of Dominance), who then uses the existing battlemaster maneuvers using said weapons.

Alternatively, just make those 3 Improvised attacks their own feat, similar to the UA weapon feats, that someone with Proficiency with Improvised weapons can pick up later.

Other things to consider:
    Just allow the player to play a kensei monk, where the "kensei weapon" is "improvised weapons". That gives the scaling die, increase the damage when thrown, and allows the improvised weapons to bypass magic immunity later on. Once you get to level 11, they'll be able to rock a +3 barstool with a d8 damage die.
    My Urban Monk Homebrew, which is also based on a Jackie Chan style of "Rumble in the Bronx" style fighting
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Improvised Weapon Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bannan_mantis View Post

Improvised Weapon Master

I think the feat is a little overtuned if you include the ability score increase. I know it's based on Tavern Brawler, but the options you give are more versatile than the bonus action grapple, and what's more don't use actions.

I would suggest removing the ability score increase, and re-working/re-wording some of the other benefits, like so:

- Whenever you make a weapon attack, if you have a free hand you can draw or pick up an object to use as an improvised weapon as part of the attack.
    (Reasoning: There's no such thing as a free action in 5e.)
    - Once on each of your turns, whenever you hit with an attack you make with an improvised weapon, you can apply one of the following effects:
    (1) You can deal extra damage equal to your proficiency bonus. Using this effect destroys the weapon you used to make the attack.
    (2) You can attempt to shove the target of your attack.
    (3) You can make a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check, contested by the target's choice of Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics). If you win the contest, you have advantage on your next weapon attack against the target.
    (Reasoning: The fluff is nice but boats the word count and can be confused with the mechanics. Also, there is already a shove attack, no need to reinvent that particular wheel.)
    Last edited by Composer99; 2019-06-14 at 05:56 PM.