New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Dark Seeker's Alone Against the Flames IC

For reference this is taken from Alone Against the Flames written by Mike Mason, Paul Fricker, and Gavin Inglis, thank you!

Do You Hear the Call of Cthulhu?
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
    —H. P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

Welcome to Call of Cthulhu, I don't think I need to do too much explaining but... Call of Cthulhu is a Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now, to begin is quite simple, and this first introduction shall operate similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story (this is done in order to normally help with an easy transition to understanding the rules, but given that overall you have a general knowledge of the rules, feel free to simply treat my little notes on the bottom as recommendations [albeit with the knowledge that sometimes straying from the path is not inherently the best idea]). Nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to Alone Against the Flames.

----
    Plymouth, New Hampshire, 2:44 PM, September 1st, 1921.

The sun is high in the sky, a merciless ball of heat. You feel scorched by the time you reach the bus halt in front of Osborn’s Drug Store. It’s a relief to put down your heavy cases and take off your hat for a moment. You fan your face. It has been a long summer here, in your hometown, and yet a curiously empty one.
    You look across the street at the grubby butcher’s shop, the grocers with its faded awning, and the shabby tobacconist. Mistrustful faces glare at you as they pass, eyeing your clothes and luggage. It was your parents’ choice to live here, not yours. You were happy down south as a child, among Providence’s white-walled houses and leafy churchyards. Perhaps this new job in Arkham will supply the change you need.
    Yet everybody you know in the world lives here. You know nobody in Arkham, not one soul. You ask yourself one last
    time if you are doing the right thing.
    The answer is here. None of your supposed friends have come to see you off. You are alone. Whatever challenges lie in Arkham, it will be a new life, and a brave one.
    A small gray motor coach approaches and rattles to a stop. You put your hat back on and pick up your cases.

Two young men with sullen expressions alight from the coach. One looks you up and down before heading away. The driver also steps down, glancing at you before crossing the road to visit the tobacconist. When he returns, he is rolling a cigarette between his yellowed fingers. He gives it a final twist and examines you as he reaches for his matchbox. He is a thin man in his fifties, dressed in a stained shirt with the bus company emblem. Yet his eyes are sharp in their dark sockets.
    Where to?

You show him your ticket for Ossipee. From there you will connect to Rochester and Portsmouth, before the coastal line to Newburyport and, finally, Arkham. You should be able to afford a rail ticket for at least some of the way; otherwise this will be the first of many long bus trips.
    Mmm-hm.” The driver scratches the match and lights his cigarette. The end flares as he takes a draw. Then he exhales and gestures to the back of the coach. “Luggage rack’s up there.

----
    As you know there are the eight characteristics Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Appearance, Size, Power, Education, and Intelligence
    Spoiler: I Don't Think You Need a Summary But...
    Show
    • Strength: This is a measure of the physical prowess of your investigator
    • Dexterity: This is a measure of the agility and speed of your investigator
    • Constitution: This is a measure of the physical toughness and stamina of your investigator
    • Appearance: This is a measure of the physical appeal of your investigator
    • Size: This is a combined measure of your investigator's height and weight, also used in determining their force behind their attacks and health
    • Power: This is a measure of your investigator's mental stability, force of will, or spirit
    • Intelligence: This is a measure of the logic and cunning of your investigator
    • Education: This is a measure of your investigator's tutelage, be it from formal education or the "school of hard knocks"

For the very early image you have of your character, please rank these characteristics in whatever order you choose. No need for anything else than this right now (people always seem to forget this part). Also, yes, I understand that this is not really your standard introduction to an In-Character Thread, but let's roll with it!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Dark Seeker's Alone Against the Flames IC

Let's go with:

1. Power

2. Education

3. Appearance

4. Intelligence

5. Constitution

6. Dexterity

7. Strength

8. Size

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The driver smokes and watches as you drag your cases to the back of the motor coach. The rack is set inconveniently high on the vehicle. You get a grip on the heavier case.

You struggle for a few seconds before the driver comes up beside you and lends a hand, still puffing on his cigarette. “Heavy bags for a small ‘un,” he remarks. You judge it best to respond with a simple mutter of thanks.

The driver flicks his cigarette into the gutter and steps into the motor coach. Its engine coughs into life. You board, grateful that you will be the only passenger for the initial part of your trip at least. With mixed emotions, you watch from the window as the tired avenues of your old home slip behind you, receding into the distance. For a few minutes, you can still see the church spire over the brow of a low hill. Then the road dips and it, too, is gone.
    Arkham is your new home. You will travel there, and make a new start.
    ----

Your starting Sanity is determined by your power (however, as you know, this sanity score will most likely fluctuate wildly). In addition, you have a number of Magic Points also based on said power. This will deplete and over time eventually return back to its original score. However, in all likelihood, magic points shall rarely be used by an investigator early on in their career, but it is important to note that they do exist.
    ----

The coach putters through the countryside. At first, the interior is stifling and your stomach lurches with every bend in the road. However, the driver opens his window, and by switching seats you find a spot where the breeze hits your face. You soon relax into the journey, observing the quaint little hamlets that the coach serves. A heavy-set woman boards at one settlement and gives you a polite nod. She gets off at the next one.
    ----

You have a certain amount of hit points based on both your Constitution and Size. Your current may fluctuate, but it is unlikely to ever exceed its maximum.
    You also have a Luck score (which again, you know of). Please give me 3d6 to assist in generating your beginning luck.

4. - Top - End - #4

DrowGuy

I'm feeling lucky (3d6)[14]

5. - Top - End - #5

DrowGuy

Wrong dice, ignore last post (3d6)[1][6][5](12)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmmm...? That last post was 3d6? You didn't display the individual rolls, but it was still the correct amount. I'll be taking the 14.
    ----

The road rises a little, passing cornfields and orchards. The leaves are turning and the trees are alive with glorious reds and golds. You have just begun to doze when the driver takes a tight bend at speed.
    ----

Please give me a Dexterity roll (just like in prior editions, we're in the d100 system).

7. - Top - End - #7

DrowGuy

(Sorry, been quite awhile since I used the dice roller.)

Dex roll, (1d100)[11]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's all good . Anyway, you rolled below your Dexterity which (as you know) means that you have succeeded on your roll.
    ----

A desperate yell awakens you. You feel yourself slide from the seat as the driver spins the wheel and the motor-coach plunges off the road. You grab hold of the seat in front, just in time to prevent a painful fall. The coach stops with a thump.
    Now you see what has happened. A Fordson tractor has stopped in the road and your driver has had to swerve to avoid this steel obstacle. He leaps from his seat into the road, unleashing a string of curses at the farmer.
    You take a moment to catch your breath. Perhaps you should offer assistance? But the driver has already returned. He backs the coach up a little and threads it around the tractor, glaring at the farmer.

You resume your journey. The driver takes the curves with more caution than before. He glances over his shoulder at you a couple of times.
    Sorry about before,” he says. “That fella was dumber than a hog. I’m Silas. What’s your name?

The accident was at least as much Silas’s fault as the farmer’s. But it doesn’t seem shrewd to antagonize the man while he is driving you through the middle of nowhere.
    ----

So, it's now time to pick a name for your character! An age would also be quite useful as well. For the purposes of this scenario (heading to a new job), you're probably around 23 to 36 or so, but if you'd like to be outside those bounds, that's fine too.

9. - Top - End - #9

DrowGuy

I think his name is Mr. Paul Turner. He's a young man of 24, but his diminutive size and short stature still makes him look like a teenager.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The coach turns onto a narrower road, which weaves uphill through woodland. Silas becomes chatty.
    Going to Arkham, eh, Paul? Can’t say I ever heard of the place. Went to Boston once. Didn’t like it. Too much hustle and bustle. You got family there? A special someone waiting?
    The afternoon is wearing on. You see no harm in confiding in Silas about your new life.
    A job, eh? What's your line?
    ----

Well now it's time to choose your Occupation. It's of course not representative of all your character's abilities, though.
    Some common occupations for investigators include:
    • Antiquarian
    • Author
    • Doctor of Medicine
    • Journalist
    • Police Detective
    • Private Investigator
    • Professor
    • Something Else... (we can most certainly discuss)?

11. - Top - End - #11

DrowGuy

Could he be an artist of some sort? My first impression would be a wealthy dilettante who was trying to make his way into the art world. My first choice of the options presented would be an author, I think much of my idea for him would work for that as well.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

We could go Artist. To be honest, Dilettante doesn't make too much sense given the setting (a dilettante whose family lives in Plymouth and is taking a motorcoach? It's a possibility, but he'd definitely be on the lower end of wealthy).

13. - Top - End - #13

DrowGuy

Okay, Artist works. And I was thinking maybe he was disinherited due to his career choice, but I could also see him as coming from a more middle-class background and taking the opportunity to leave town and pursue opportunities for his true passion in a new setting.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok! Makes sense! Either one works, but the following IC post assumes the former (which can be edited).
    ----

As you mention the gig you got, you recall how upset your father was at your bold declaration, but the world could use more beauty as opposed to yet another good-for-nothing layabout, which, ironically, was exactly what he called you. Nevertheless, you push those thoughts aside for now and focus on the road ahead. You happened to be showing off some of your work when a representative for the Fine Arts section at Miskatonic was visiting Plymouth and offered you some help selling your work in a gallery there. Hah, who needs his money? You can make it your own way (as long as you're actually there for the opening, of course).
    An artist? Of like... paintings and stuff?” Silas seems confused, as if he thought the art somehow made itself.
    ----

Your occupational skills are: Art/Craft (Whatever Specialty You Choose), Psychology, Spot Hidden as well as a choice from the following:
    Which conversational skill would he use to convince people to purchase your work?
    • Charm - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Fast Talk - limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on. Although sometimes it's just persuade that takes a short amount of time.
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Persuade - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth). This normally takes quite a bit of time.
    Which language other than English do you know (Mother always thought you were her "little polyglot")?
    Which of the two do you draw inspiration from for your art?
    • History - The old masters, combined with an interest in great battles or scenes of yore.
    • Natural World - Landscapes, depictions of the world in its most purest form.

15. - Top - End - #15

DrowGuy

I really like the first option, think I shall go with that!

His Art would be painting. I believe Paul would use his natural Charm to convince people to buy his work; people seem to be drawn to his friendly demeanor and attractive looks.

He is quite well versed in French-- Mother was from Louisiana originally.

I'm rather torn between the other two, but I think he's had such an extensive education that he would lean more on History to guide his work.

Think this is where I must call it tonight, but really enjoying this so far. It's a unique character generation but is a lot of fun, thanks for running it for me.:)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You may now choose two skills from the following list that you would perceive to be related to Paul's career as an artist. I'll also provide a short sentence description or so for each. I know you have the rulebook, but there are some minor changes in 7th edition, so I figured I'd just show them all to you.
    Spoiler: Skills (so many)
    Show
    • Accounting - understanding of accountancy procedures; reveals the financial functioning of a business or a person.
    • Anthropology - identify and understand an individual's or culture's way of life through observation
    • Appraise - estimate the value of a particular item, including the quality, material used, and workmanship.
    • Archeology - allows dating and identifying artifacts from past cultures as well as detecting fakes
    • Arts/Crafts (you have this one, but you may pick it up again for a different art/craft) - allows the creation, making, or repair of an item which could be artistic (painting, singing, etc...) or craft-related (woodworking, cookery, etc...). Each one requires its own choice.
    • Charm (you have this one) - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Climb - climb trees, walls, and other vertical surfaces with or without ropes or climbing gear.
    • Disguise - used whenever you wish to appear to be someone other than whom you are.
    • Dodge - allows one to instinctively evade blows, thrown missiles, and so forth.
    • Drive Auto - drive a car or light truck, make ordinary maneuvers, and cope with ordinary vehicle problems.
    • Electrical Repair - repair or reconfigure electrical equipment, such as auto ignitions, electric motors, fuse boxes, and burglar alarms.
    • Fast Talk - specifically limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on.
    • Fighting (Brawl) - one's skill in melee combat. There are also different specializations such as Sword, Axe, Spear, or Whip, which each require their own choice (if not picking Brawl).
    • Firearms - covers all manner of firearms, as well as bows and crossbows. There are different specializations including Handguns, Rifles/Shotguns, Bows, and Crossbows. Each one is it's own skill.
    • First Aid - emergency medical care, not for diseases (see Medicine).
    • History (you have this one) - recall a historical detail or event, the significance of a country, city, region, or person, as pertinent.
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Other Language (you have this one, but you may pick another one) - Knowledge (ability to understand, speak, read, and write) of a language that's not your own. Each language is its own choice.
    • Own Language - Knowledge of your own language (presumably English)
    • Law - represents the chance of knowing pertinent law, precedent, legal maneuvers, or court procedure.
    • Library Use - Find a piece of information, such as a certain book, newspaper, reference in a library, or a collection of documents (assuming there's information to be found).
    • Listen - interpret and understand sound, including overheard conversations, mutters behind a closed door, and whispered words in a cafe.
    • Locksmith - open car doors, hotwire autos, jimmy library windows, figure out Chinese puzzle boxes, and penetrate ordinary alarm systems.
    • Mechanical Repair - repair a broken machine or create a new one.
    • Medicine - diagnose and treat accidents, injuries, diseases, poisonings, etc...
    • Natural World - represents the traditional (unscientific) knowledge and personal observation of farmers, fishermen, inspired amateurs, and hobbyists.
    • Navigate - take the correct path to a destination, whether in a strange city or the wilderness.
    • Occult - recognize occult paraphernalia, words, and concepts, as well as folk traditions; can also identify grimoires of magic and occult codes.
    • Operate Heavy Machinery - required to drive and operate a train, steam engine, bulldozer, or other large-scale land machines.
    • Persuade - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth).
    • Pilot - allows the safe operation of a boat, aircraft, or dirigible. Each one is its own skill.
    • Psychoanalysis - refers to the range of emotional therapies.
    • Psychology (you have this one) - perception, common to all humans, to form an idea of another person's motives and character, and detect if a person is lying.
    • Ride - applies to saddle horses, donkeys, and mules, granting knowledge of basic care of the riding animal, riding gear, and how to handle the steed at a gallop or on difficult terrain.
    • Science - practical and theoretical ability with a science specialty gained from some degree of formalized education and training, although a well-read amateur scientist may also be a possibility. These specializations include: Astronomy, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Cryptography, Geology, Pharmacy, Physics, Zoology, etc... Each one is its own skill.
    • Sleight of Hand - allows the visual covering-up, secreting, or masking of an object or objects, perhaps with debris, cloth, or other illusion-promoting materials.
    • Spot Hidden (you have this one) - find a secret door or compartment, notice a hidden intruder, see an inconspicuous clue, recognize a repainted automobile, become aware of ambushers, etc. - an important skill in the armory of an investigator.
    • Stealth - when attempting to avoid detection, moving quietly, and hiding without alerting those who might hear or see.
    • Survival - expertise required to survive in extreme conditions, such as in desert or arctic conditions, as well as on the sea or in wilderness terrain. Each environment is its own skill.
    • Swim - the ability to float and to move through water or other liquid in times of crisis or danger.
    • Throw - hit a target with an object.
    • Track - follow a person, vehicle, or animal over earth, and through plants.

Oh boy, that was long. I listed all of them for later reference, as well as to let you know that as long as it makes sense, any of these can be involved in your occupation. So, with all that out of the way, choose two!

Also, I'm happy to run it for you. I'm glad that you're having fun!

17. - Top - End - #17

DrowGuy

Paul has recently been drawn to the Natural World as an inspiration for his creativity. He's also developed a bit of a curiosity for the Occult . Though he believes everything he's read to be fiction, he finds it a rich vein to mine for ideas relating to future creativity.

Thanks for all the effort-- as someone who has had to type up large amounts of text for my own games I know how tedious it can be, but also how enjoyable it is for players.:)
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2019-11-21 at 02:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You realize Silas hasn’t made a stop since the incident with the tractor. The motor coach winds its way uphill. However, your thoughts are interrupted as the road crests a ridge and you are treated to a magnificent view of the vista below.
    ----

Note that just like in previous editions, even if you don't pick a skill as an Occupational Skill or a Personal Interest, you can still attempt any skill roll, having what's called a Base ability in it. There will more than likely be a slight, but nevertheless present, chance of you succeeding on anything you attempt.
    ----

A creek snakes through the valley, breaking the rich autumn palette of the tree line. In the distance the White Mountains rise into hazy cloud. There is no settlement, not even a cabin, as far as the eye can see. Birds drift through the treetops, and you can just make out what might be two white-tailed deer lingering by the water.
    Perhaps you are making a mistake by moving to the city. Could you survive on your own in this lush wilderness?
    ----

Speaking of Personal Interest Skills from before, please choose four skills that represent Paul's Personal interests (so things unrelated to his occcupation, in fact they cannot be the same as his occupational skills).

Also, I have a tendency to write a lot as it is, so as long as it's interesting and all that I'm fine with it. I just hope you're ok with it.

19. - Top - End - #19

DrowGuy

Paul has studied Law and has some knowledge of it. He's also fairly good at Library Use, having to research a lot back in school, and still does so when looking for art inspiration. He also is more than just a pretty face; knowing how to Persuade others when charm alone won't work. And his diminitive form has always ensured he had something of a talent for Stealth.

And I love it, write as much as you are comfortable with.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The motor coach rattles on through the hills and Silas continues his silence. The sky darkens behind you, pinks tinting the clouds as the sun descends. Finally a welcome sight comes into view: a settlement on the crest of a hill. This doesn’t look like the pictures you’ve seen of Ossipee. But perhaps you can persuade Silas to stop while you stretch your legs.
    ----

So now we need to discuss the order of your occupational skills. You currently have chosen: Art/Craft (Painting), History, Charm, Other Language (French), Spot Hidden, Psychology, Natural World, and Occult. Please rate these from highest to lowest.

21. - Top - End - #21

DrowGuy

Let's try:

Charm
    Art:Painting
    History
    Occult
    Other Language:French
    Natural World
    Psychology
    Spot Hidden

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Minutes later, a harsh stuttering from the engine interrupts your reverie. Silas frowns and rattles the gear stick. The motor coach falters in its ascent. Silas utters a curse you don’t recognize and grinds his teeth, struggling at the wheel. You seem to inch up the hill until you reach the first buildings, low dwellings constructed from a rough red stone. Silas wrestles the coach into a small bay off the road. He scrambles from his seat and makes for the engine compartment.
    ----

Please give me either a Drive Auto (you consider yourself an amateur in this field) roll or a Hard Psychology (you consider yourself an amateur in this field) roll. A Hard roll means that you must roll equal to or under half of your skill level (as opposed to STRx2 vs. STRx5 or something similar, they use this mechanic instead).

23. - Top - End - #23

DrowGuy

Would I know which of these I'd have a better chance with? Failing that, I'll try a Drive Auto.

(1d100)[48]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

In this case, you consider them to be on broadly equal footing. This beginning scenario I want to have people focus on their character as opposed to their stats. Nevertheless, sadly that’s a Failure (and would’ve been regardless).
    ----

Silas opens the engine compartment open and sticks his head inside. The hot metal pops and sizzles. He pokes at various components, then withdraws and wipes his brow, smearing it with dark grease.
    I ain’t sure what’s wrong. Might be the oil pressure. Might be something knocked off kilter when we took that spill. Can’t do much until the engine cools neither. And with the light failing… I reckon we’ll be here through the night.” He wipes his hands on a rag.
    The shadows from your surroundings are already long, and the air is chilly. You feel stiff from the journey and a night in the rickety coach sounds unappealing. Silas sees your dismay.
    This here’s Emberhead. Miles from anyplace. I only come through twice a week. But the folks here are good people. May Ledbetter keeps a spare room. She’ll look after you. Up that alley, turn right, first house on the left.
    He scratches his cheek, looks again into the engine compartment, and spits on the ground.
    Meet me back here at eight in the morning and we’ll see how’s we stand.
    ----

Now we're entering the more freeform part of the adventure. Nevertheless, given that this is still an introductory scenario. I'll be providing little prompts at the bottom of example things your character could attempt so that you can formulate a post in-line with general Call of Cthulhu ideas (not that I think you don’t know how to play the game, of course). In this instance, I have three possibilities.
    1. Head out and look for this May Ledbetter's house
    2. Ask Silas where he's going to stay the night
    3. Challenge Silas about the breakdown

25. - Top - End - #25

DrowGuy

Paul gets out of the coach and stretches for a moment. He sees no reason to distrust Silas' assessment, and seems genuinely grateful for the advice.

"Fantastic, I shall take her up on that. But what about you, Silas? I'd hate for you to have to spend the night here. It sounds as though you know Ms. Ledbetter. Perhaps we should split the room? Given the exceptional circumstances I am sure she would not want you put out on the street either."

Spoiler: Persuade
    Show

(1d100)[94]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

In the future, I request that you don't roll unless I ask. This is because I don't want to have a scenario where you roll poorly or well and I feel the urge to honor that. Both of us post often enough that should a roll be required I do not think there'd be too long of an interim between rolls.
    ----

He gives the engine a sour glance before answering.
    Nah... don't you worry. I’ve got acquaintances here in the village. Reckon one of ‘em owes me a favor. Enough for bed and breakfast, in any case.” He stares at his grubby hands. “Probably won’t stretch to a hot bath.
    You don’t seem to have a lot of options. You fetch your cases from the back of the motor coach. The last thing you need is for several choice pieces you were going to show off in the exhibition to disappear into some stranger’s hovel overnight.

You drag your cases between the sullen buildings. You feel surprisingly weary, considering you have spent all day sitting down. Silas’ directions lead you to a modest dwelling with a slate roof. A nameplate reads LEDBETTER, and underneath, a sign in neat copperplate reads, LODGING ROOM. The lane around you is gloomy, but a lamp flickers in the window.
    A breeze chills your face. You’re not about to begin your new life by sleeping in the street. You rap on the weatherbeaten door.

After a moment, you hear footsteps inside the house. A bolt is drawn back and the wooden door swings open. A figure with loose curls and a rough-looking housedress peers at you. Her gaze takes in your traveling suit and your cases. Her voice has a slight Irish lilt.
    Hello. Should I take it as you’re looking for a room for the night?
    You enquire as to her rates, suppressing a grimace. As far as you’ve seen, the village does not offer you many alternatives.
    Oh, you’ll find them very reasonable,” she says. “You look tired. I’m May. Come inside and we’ll talk over a cup of tea.

The Ledbetter house feels cramped, with a low ceiling and simple fittings. But it is well kept and a cheerful fire crackles in the grate. The aroma of the tea is soothing and the cup warms your fingers.
    Have you come to Emberhead for the festival?” asks May.
    ----

Would you like to explain what happened with Silas and the coach, or ask about this festival?

27. - Top - End - #27

DrowGuy

Understood, sorry about jumping the gun there.

Paul drags his luggage to Ms. Ledbetter's home, having significant difficulty. This trip was already starting off rather unpleasantly, but he contented himself with the knowledge that things could not get much worse from here.

"Good evening May," Paul offers her a tired smile, only slightly forced. "No I haven't actually, what's the festival celebrating?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You're all fine! I love the enthusiasm, I just don't want to get into a complicated situation .

Well now, I suppose the Festival is about the only reason folks come to Emberhead. I thought you had maybe come to study it or take photographs, we get one or two visitors every couple of years for it. Well, it’s not tomorrow night but the night after. I suppose it looks very strange to a passerby.
    May tops up your tea. The spout chinks against your cup.
    We’ve got the Beacon, you see. One night every year there’s a torch-lit procession and we light the Beacon on the cliffs. You’ve never seen the like of it. They say it keeps the spirit of the village alive for another year. It’s a celebration. A celebration...
    She tails off for a moment, and blinks.
    But you didn’t come here to listen to me blather, and you must be hungry. I can rustle you up a bit of stew. How would that be?
    You ask again about her rates, and May names a price so low you accept it without hesitation. The room is small but comfortable, and the stew dark and hearty. The sign outside appears to be true to its name as there's only one LODGING ROOM, and thus, no other visitors. After dinner, you have a couple of hours before your usual bedtime.
    ----

Would you maybe like to talk to May some more? Walk around and get your bearings (then again, it is getting a bit late)? Or would you rather just turn in for an early night?

29. - Top - End - #29

DrowGuy

"Really? That sounds fascinating; I'm not sure I've ever heard of something quite like it." Paul thinks this festival sounds like an excellent idea to paint, but he's not sure he has the time.

The food is quite hearty, and though he's a bit tired, he spends some more time with May, getting to know her and attempting to learn more about the history behind the town and festival.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

May talks about life in Emberhead. “In her letters my sister always asks if I’m not bored, living in such a small place. She lives in New York. Then she writes about how frightened she is to walk home at night! I ask you.
    You mention your hopes for a new life in Arkham. May doesn’t seem to hear you.
    It’s a small place here, yes, but that means we have real community. Everybody’s face is known. Everybody works together. Nobody is excluded. Except those who choose to exclude themselves, of course. I couldn’t live anywhere else now.
    ----

Please give me a Charm (you consider yourself to be a professional in this field) roll.