New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle 5: Mister Rogers in a Bloodstained Sweater

I mean, ive read a lot of fanfics like that. They rarely turn into reality shapers, tending to be the type of character who brings up ALL the comic nerd arguments like, "Hey superman, have you ever considered weaving lead into your freaking costume to protect from kryptonite? How about using some of that freaky advanced tech to develop an ENERGY SHIELD?!" That sort of thing, or pointing out theoretical applications of power they could be using that would make things a lot easier so on and so forth. In a way its similar to reality warping, its abusing a far deeper understanding of how the universe works to achieve his goals than most characters in setting ever could. Because they are drawing on the knowledge of 50 years of millions of fans arguing and theory crafting every aspect of the universe.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I mean, ive read a lot of fanfics like that. They rarely turn into reality shapers, tending to be the type of character who brings up ALL the comic nerd arguments like, "Hey superman, have you ever considered weaving lead into your freaking costume to protect from kryptonite? How about using some of that freaky advanced tech to develop an ENERGY SHIELD?!" That sort of thing, or pointing out theoretical applications of power they could be using that would make things a lot easier so on and so forth. In a way its similar to reality warping, its abusing a far deeper understanding of how the universe works to achieve his goals than most characters in setting ever could. Because they are drawing on the knowledge of 50 years of millions of fans arguing and theory crafting every aspect of the universe.
    Ahh but you see, that's the point. That's someone writing a character into the story, and by doing that, you become " Part of the story " It's not you,it's not a person from our world, it's just another character, and that limits them. But they still have a direct connection to their writer which also makes them immensly powerful.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    things like that just make me realize that while DBZ and super's wider cosmology is a cosmic horror story of a normal person living in the same world as a bunch of short-sighted dumb jerks with the power to destroy everything with their fists and being unable to do anything about it if there wasn't literal wish-granting orbs around to fix things....

Marvel and DC's cosmology is a cosmic horror story of normal people in the same world as literal reality warpers, time travelers, things like Galactus and Darkseid not only existing but being an intrinsic part of the universe you can't ever fully get rid of, and so many retcons that if anyone were to start becoming aware of how much their universes get changed around, they'd start doubting the very consistency of reality and be unable to find anything that is immutable or unchanging and thus familiar. because the DBZ destruction horror is bad, but the Marvel/DC reality warper horror is worse because it undermines any hope of knowing whether anything runs on consistent rules or logic and thus whether they can trust ANYTHING to remain the same and familiar. and the worlds heroes that defend against the villains can't really prevent this and seem to be the ones that that this reality warping occurs around, as if they were the cause.
    like just the fact in these universes, that everything you know to be true could just change without warning on the whim of some entity or person to be something completely different, and that if someone knew of this, they'd be documenting everything that stays the same to determine what in existence changes the least to try and figure out what are realities real constant variables, the things they can trust to remain the same over the things they can't, and probably get real paranoid of said entities changing things up out of nowhere, behaviors that to the outside observer would look like conspiracy theorist stuff, so of course no one pays any attention to what they're saying.

like I feel it would just be interesting to explore a normal life in these crazy screwed up worlds just experiencing the background effects and after-effects of these cosmic struggles and whatnot and going about their day as its all normal to them when things like flickering between a bad and normal timeline constantly, or little details changing here and there and so on that would make the whole thing incredibly creepy and unsettling to the viewer who knows whats happening but the person they're following doesn't because their memory is being changed along with it or its just a normal superhero/villain thing to them.

There is a superhero book that touches on that premise, Seven Wonders by Adam Christopher. Most of the book's about the rise of a new superhuman from humble origins, but there's a plot thread of two normal detectives investigating the goings-on of the other plots and the conspiracy about the main superhero team. It has its flaws as a story, but it's a fun read.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2019-08-24 at 09:48 AM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

4. - Top - End - #454
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    A fun, and terrifying thing about DC is that it being a story it being a comic is 100 percent canon. And power in DC true power is based on awareness and knowledge. Each plane has pretty much complete control over a plane beneath it to being almost unstoppable, and vise versa to a plane above it.

A human from our world Isekaied to DC would be the most powerful being to have ever graced the entire multiverse.
    Not really because according to DC lore and cosmology our world is NOT a separate plane that has some sort of control over what is written or anything like it. In DC Multiverse our world is stated to exist as one of many worlds within the Multiverse and be merely one of many shadows of Prime Earth. In fact, some of comics have implied we're not even that but a world created by superheroes in the first place, like All-Star Superman where he creates a miniature world without superheroes to see if the world will be able to survive without him. The comics we get are actually writer's and editor's mind picking up signals from other realities and it is a common thing in the multiverse that comics in one world are a representation of events from another.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    I was thinking of putting Static against the protagonist of Certain Scientific Railgun actually.
    On this...

Mikoto's done some impressive things, but the books often attach hard numbers to her powers (sometimes ones that seem too low for what she's actually doing), which seems like it could hurt her if Static's numbers are pulled from random scene transitions and the size of explosions. ToAru characters also tend to lack the baseline super-toughness that most superheroes come with. And some of her more impressive stuff (like the Anti-Art Attachment) is from sources that don't have an official translation.

At the very least, I'd say her powers are more precise than Static's (she can pull masses of iron sand from the ground without damaging it, and edit herself out of security cameras in real time).

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Mikoto and Static seem to have a fairly similar set of powers. Prime mentioned the iron sand stunt but I don't know if he saw the issues where she made a building sized monster out of it to fight a long battle. Now there is one major difference in their powers though. Static's is biological, the Railgun's are psychic abilities which may be why she is more precise with them. This level of precision also gives her the ability to "see" in every direction at once.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Prime mentioned the iron sand stunt but I don't know if he saw the issues where she made a building sized monster out of it to fight a long battle.
    I have, but that's more of a power stunt than a precision one. Speaking of power, her Railgun's maximum power output is normally limited by the materials she's using as ammo (when someone made her ammo "unmeltable" she could boost it to apocalyptic levels)... so if Static typically carries around any DC super-metals, that could end up screwing him over.

Now there is one major difference in their powers though. Static's is biological, the Railgun's are psychic abilities which may be why she is more precise with them. This level of precision also gives her the ability to "see" in every direction at once.
    Esper abilities are based on calculating variables in their surroundings in order to model a "personal reality". The more powerful the esper, the more optimised their brains are for high-speed mathematics and multitasking (the most powerful esper in the setting is sometimes approached by scientists who want to employ him as a supercomputer). Comparing Mikoto to most other electricity users out there is like comparing Skitter to Ant-Man.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2019-08-25 at 08:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458

BlackDragon

Static as a kid incapped the main members of the league tho. That has to count for something
    Last edited by HolyDraconus; 2019-08-25 at 10:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #459

Kurt Busiek's Astro City had an interesting take (to the surprise of no-one ) on the 'civilians in crazy superhero land' thing- the two-TPB arc 'Dark Age' followed a pair of brothers over the course of some thirty-odd-years who had a knack for getting caught in the fringes and fallout of the hero goings-on, while (mostly) remaining firmly civilians. It's a well-written and interesting PoV shot of the folks on the ground who have to stand there and watch while the supers time-travel, flout the US government, attempt to hurl the continental US into space, prevent the release of apocalyptic monsters, etc.. And mostly they just try to get on with their lives- for example, when a cosmic giant pops up in the sky, there's some panic, but when it doesn't do anything for a few days, the populace shrugs, nicknames him 'Big Joe' and goes on with their day.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    And mostly they just try to get on with their lives- for example, when a cosmic giant pops up in the sky, there's some panic, but when it doesn't do anything for a few days, the populace shrugs, nicknames him 'Big Joe' and goes on with their day.
    Sounds kinda like the Celestial that decided to stand around in Golden Gate Park for awhile.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

11. - Top - End - #461

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Static as a kid incapped the main members of the league tho. That has to count for something
    He managed to land a single shot on each to take out their mind control device and come on, that flash fight was beyond stupid. Somehow he is running fast enough to stay on the surface of the water and static is still in front of him? Bullocks to that. Static has never been shown to have speed feats remotely close to quicksilver levels, let alone flash. Or at least not in the cartoon, no clue if it was different in his comic run.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #462

BlackDragon

He managed to land a single shot on each to take out their mind control device and come on, that flash fight was beyond stupid. Somehow he is running fast enough to stay on the surface of the water and static is still in front of him? Bullocks to that. Static has never been shown to have speed feats remotely close to quicksilver levels, let alone flash. Or at least not in the cartoon, no clue if it was different in his comic run.
    He tanked the Anti Life Equation....and there was that one time that he used a dude's own electrons to K.O. him.

13. - Top - End - #463

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    He tanked the Anti Life Equation....and there was that one time that he used a dude's own electrons to K.O. him.
    And in the cartoon he is fighting street thugs with shadow powers. But at least in the comics it can be justified. I preferred the other ones where he works with batman and established himself as a guy with potential and worthy of trust but not a leaguer yet.

14. - Top - End - #464

BlackDragon

And in the cartoon he is fighting street thugs with shadow powers. But at least in the comics it can be justified. I preferred the other ones where he works with batman and established himself as a guy with potential and worthy of trust but not a leaguer yet.
    The cartoon does give him a weakness to water that he doesn't have in the comics. And he's smart enough to screw with molecules while fighting so there's that. He also has a healing factor from his ability, and even had his arm chopped off and he reattached it moments later. He does have a speedster villian(?) To bounce speed feats off of.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

The characters are almost always made so much weaker in the cartoons that the cartoons are actually less informative than fan fiction.

This makes Live-action the equivalent of taking an action hero and recasting them in a rom-com.

Also, if its the CW than its more than merely the "equivalent."
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    The characters are almost always made so much weaker in the cartoons that the cartoons are actually less informative than fan fiction.
    Informative is not the word I'd use. these characters don't exist, there is nothing to be informed about. "sane", "having a sense of proportion and restraint", "not being written by decades of built up stupidity by fans who managed to get into the writers seat." or "better quality for not going ridiculously overpowered." is more like it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'd like to see more Fate characters... Even though I'm not that much of a fan of the franchise, I like that they often have somewhat abstract powers, whose effects are more conceptual than physical.
    Homebrew Stuff:

18. - Top - End - #468
    Banned

If we're talking about what we'd like to see, I'd like to see more contests and less fights to the death. I know the name of the show is "Death Battle" but when you take characters like Lara Croft and Nathan Drake, you should really have them competing to rob a tomb or something instead of arbitrarily fighting. There's lots of interesting ways to pit characters against each other besides putting them into an arena to slug it out.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Troll in the Playground

Question Re: Death Battle 5: Mister Rogers in a Bloodstained Sweater

Informative is not the word I'd use. these characters don't exist, there is nothing to be informed about. "sane", "having a sense of proportion and restraint", "not being written by decades of built up stupidity by fans who managed to get into the writers seat." or "better quality for not going ridiculously overpowered." is more like it.
    Cartoons and Live Action seems to inform people about the characters. Most people don’t read comics at all, yet they appear to know Superman and can tell you most of the basics about him. What his most recognizable powers are, who his arc villain is, what his secret identity is, and even his weakness to kryptonite. However, if we treat the comics as the primary source material...they will think Superman is much weaker than he regularly appears and ditto for all the rest of the DC characters. That’s not actually all that terrible. Its not like measuring the characters powers is something that is all that useful to following the stories or talking about the character among a normal audience...even perhaps an average comic-con convention audience member (it seem a minority even among that community who really care about Superman comics).

Anyway, you prove there is no information by saying the characters don’t exist. But then you might as well say you can’t refer to the characters at all. After all, there is literally nothing to reference. Hence nothing to refer to.

What were we talking about again?
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2019-08-27 at 10:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

20. - Top - End - #470
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I'd like to see more Fate characters... Even though I'm not that much of a fan of the franchise, I like that they often have somewhat abstract powers, whose effects are more conceptual than physical.
    Recently I added as a suggestion on their official submission form Fate's Gilgamesh vs God Emperor of Mankind from 40k. Battle of who has more bling.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

I'd love to see how much nonsense they could pull out for Gilgamesh vs. Scrooge McDuck.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

22. - Top - End - #472

RangerGuy

You know, I was rewatching Akira.

Who do you think could make an even fight with Tetsuo? Nate Grey, maybe?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

23. - Top - End - #473

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post

Tetsuo's difficult to gauge as his power keeps on increasing throughout the movie and the climax is about him completely losing control of it.

Spoiler: Akira movie
    Show
    In the end it's implied he becomes a seperate, sentient universe, but by that point he's also isolated from every other character and place, so it's hard to judge his 'final' power level.

I'm pretty stuck for what would be an even match for him. Most of the things I can think of that have a thematic link either get squished fairly easily after Tetsuo reaches the point where he can wilfully use his powers or are tough enough to keep going until Tetsuo's power melts him.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2019-09-01 at 07:54 AM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

24. - Top - End - #474
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I'm pretty stuck for what would be an even match for him. Most of the things I can think of that have a thematic link either get squished fairly easily after Tetsuo reaches the point where he can wilfully use his powers or are tough enough to keep going until Tetsuo's power melts him.
    Instead of going with a theme related to his powers, one could also go with a theme related to his character. The secondary protagonist who feels inadequate compared to the main protagonist, and maybe becomes even antagonistic at some point. It feels like every Shounen anime has one of those¹, so there are plenty to pick from. One of them must be a fair challenge.

¹: Considering the influence that Akira had on the media, a lot of these might even be directly inspired by Tetsuo.
    Last edited by Seppl; 2019-09-01 at 08:18 AM.

25. - Top - End - #475

Nate Grey at his weakest point(not counting the time his powers temporarily burned out) was explicitly the Equal of Dark Pehonix(An infinitely powerful source of Psychic energy and life-force that greatns its hosts absolute telekinesis and Pyrokensis) and has only grown stronger since then.

He is an omega level mutant with the power f Omnikensisis--that is to say, every kind of Psychokensisis at once and at nigh-omnipotent levels, and by the definition of "Omega Level" he can only get stronger.

He is fully capable of using his psychokinesis to warp reality.

A few years after he died(having sacrificed himself to cure everyone on Earth of a parasite,) he got bored with being dead and willed himself back to life.

Most recently, after going insane he used the Life Seed to boost his powers a little bit, psychically contacted everyone on Earth, moved the Noth American continental plate, casually erased from existence every major religious Icon in the world after deciding he was a God(they were eventually restored,) after being trapped in Legion's mind he casually erased from existence every last one of Legion's alternate personalities and absorbed their powers before jacking Legion's body for himself(he lost the powers of Legion's personalities after being separated from Legion,) created an entire universe complete with an alternate history and real people and transported the X-Men+Apocalcypse, Magneto, Omega Red, and Blob to it, rewriting their memories to make them fit into the new universe(Excepting Glob, who is immune to mental tampering, and Apocalypse who cut a deal to keep his memories,) and literally created a second magneto whole cloth(with Magneto's blessing) to help him rule his universe after being talked into restoring everyone's memories and letting the people he absudcted go home.

The being able to will himself back to life if he so chose part is the clincher. Does it count as a death if you immediately come back to life?

I'm not that up there on Akira, but I'm pretty sure that by the time anyone even got close to Nate's level the Super Power Melt Down would kick into effect.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Banned

Goblin

I think that I have my preferred option to be another anime character

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Mecahgodzilla vs Dragonzord
    Show
    No surprise, Mechagodzilla won by a landslide. Still it was a fun animation.

Spoiler: Next time
    Show
    Sauske vs Hewi.

Hhahaha, oh this is going to be ugly. Sauske should utterly destroy Hewi. I mean, I only saw the begining of Hewi's anime, but Sauske is one of the most OP characters in Naruto. By far. And Hewi wasn't that powerful at the start of his anime.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Spoiler: Next time
    Show
    Sauske vs Hewi.

Hhahaha, oh this is going to be ugly. Sauske should utterly destroy Hewi. I mean, I only saw the begining of Hewi's anime, but Sauske is one of the most OP characters in Naruto. By far. And Hewi wasn't that powerful at the start of his anime.
    Spoiler
    Show
    .....*tries googling Hewi*

*tries googling Sasuke Vs. Hewi*

I am finding absolutely no information on this Hewi guy. could you tell me the animes name? But yeah, unless the episodes you didn't watch suddenly turned him into at a least a city-buster thats immune to all illusions and everburning fire or something, this is going to be a massacre in Sasukes favor, because I have never heard of this person.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-09-04 at 02:14 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #479

Spoiler: This battle
    Show
    Yeah im not surprised. Dragonzord was just over matched in every category barring experience and skill. Frankly im surprised it was as close as it was, and honestly kinda annoyed at how having a giant hole in its chest apparently did nothing but give mechagodzilla a stationary target to blast.

Spoiler: next time
    Show
    Ok, im a naruto fanboy and end game sasuke is mind numbingly strong. But that may only apply when he has the bijuu to draw energy from iirc how the final fight went. Even without that, with the rinnegan and perfect susanoo, he is an awful enemy to fight. Aside fromw atching a few clips of his anime im not sure how strong his opponent is, or what he can take. Like, is he immune to illusions? If not his soul is going to get shattered. He can probably tank at least reasonably close to end game sasuke level attacks and dish out similar, but I dont know where he topped out at.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    .....*tries googling Hewi*

*tries googling Sasuke Vs. Hewi*

I am finding absolutely no information on this Hewi guy. could you tell me the animes name? But yeah, unless the episodes you didn't watch suddenly turned him into at a least a city-buster thats immune to all illusions and everburning fire or something, this is going to be a massacre in Sasukes favor, because I have never heard of this person.
    Spoiler: Next Time
    Show
    I am mispelling his name. It's Hiei from YuYu Hakusho. For what it's worth I think he is immune to fire at least, considering he is a fire demon. He has his own eye techniques too, which might make him somewhat resistant to illusions. So on paper, I kinda get why he was chosen as Sauke's opponent. But it's like Quicksilver vs Flash. They might have similar abilities, but one is on an entirely different level.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.