New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 8: Rawr serisaurus!

[Abandoned Warehouse]

Realizing that his last resort had failed, Zaphon simply slumps back down to the floor and raises his hands up over his head in submission. He doesn't say a word, but it's clear that he's surrendered.

Meanwhile, Val simply mumbles into Marin's shoulder. "You can't do... they'll get overheated..."

"Gonna... vomit, urk."

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Abandoned Warehouse]

Marin stops. Vomit?
    She doesn't want vomit all over her.
    She does her best to turn his head away from her, and then tries to readjust so that they can keep on walking.

Of course, giving Zaphon a wide berth. Don't want him to have another chance to take a hostage.

"Um...thanks," she says to the superhero.
    She'll ask for help getting the doctor-slash-accidental-kidnapper somewhere once they get out of this warehouse.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Ogre in the Playground

[Skyside - The Mad Fronts]

At around midnight, a slightly overweight man wrapped within a wool overcoat arrives at the agreed upon destination. He checks his phone a few times.

This was spooky. Definetely the place.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Sapphira's Prison]

Plan C is to throw it into the sun.
    Plan B is to give it to VIGIL; they have a history of dealing with evil artifacts.
    Right now, after it's carried back to the hive, they have some more supernaturally sensitive creatures try to examine it for any clues. Is there a mind in the staff that can be contacted telepathically (by someone thoroughly restrained and protected, just in case) or does it only have effects on physical victims?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Troll in the Playground

Abandoned Warehouse

"No problem," the heroine replies. She ties up Zaphon and sends a call to the authorities. She conjures a stretcher out of hardlight. "Here. Put him on this."

Sapphira's Prison

The compulsion is even stronger to a mind attempting to telepathically contact the staff. Come to me. Open your body and let my power flow through you. Power to destroy, to unmake, to annihilate. Let your worries go. Nothing will be able to stop you. Nothing will stand against you and survive.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #1086

The experimental subject struggles briefly against the strider that is holding them, calming down a few moments later.
    Annihilation is not my goal. Answer: How did you come to serve Sapphira?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Troll in the Playground

Sapphira's Prison

Join with me, and I will give you every answer you seek. Otraga refuses to give any hints, simply continues to press on with his compulsion.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #1088

They cease talking to the staff, and the next morning, barring some disaster, it is shipped off towards VIGIL...
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #1089

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post

At around midnight, a slightly overweight man wrapped within a wool overcoat arrives at the agreed upon destination. He checks his phone a few times.

This was spooky. Definetely the place.

As he goes deeper into the old service tunnel he can see large door at the end of it with numerous warning signs on it. Appears to belong to kind of important facility as there are even several security cameras aimed at it.
    But as he comes closer there is a flash of pink bright light near the door, just outside the reach of the cameras, and an unusual figure appear carrying what appears to be a plastic body suit of some kind.
    "You wide awake? I'm eyes. Please put this on before you step inside. It's important." They will hand him the body suit which seems to be a lighter form of hazmat suit with a gas mask and everything. "Oh, and if someone ask, tell them you're a traveling freelance scientist." Ishmat adds while glancing at the big door nearby with numerous warning signs on it.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-07-03 at 05:35 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ogre in the Playground

Val raises a gloved hand over his face as the bright, pink light materializes by the door. Hopefully that wasn't some kind of security measure, he didn't think tranquilizers worked on weaponized colors. "Oh, Christ." He winces as the light dies down. "After that, who wouldn't be? But yes, hello - I guess. Good to meet you, too."

This was all happening very fast. Had this been a good idea? Oh, of course it was. It was his idea, and he'd never had an idea that wasn't good. Not ever. "I hope this fits. I've been stress eating, a lot on my mind and all."

"Am I safe to assume there's something awful behind that door?"

11. - Top - End - #1091

'Eyes' seem to look at the door again once he mentions it. It's hard to tell as they ironically don't have eyes. "It depends. Usually people don't ask but I find it safe to just make all biological units wear one with the exception of that one doctor..." They shake their head as to dismiss the subject and then holds out their arms as if wanting to hug him. "But let me tell you that it's a wonder to see you in the, ah, flesh after so long. I half expected you to be like me with a designed body, yet here you are. A human if I'm not mistaken? It's quite common. I've made many bodies like yours."

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Ogre in the Playground

With a slight frown, Dr. Valiance finishes zipping up his suit. "Yeah? Well, better safe than sorry, I guess." Val takes a few deep breaths as he grows accustomed to his gas mask. Ack, he already had breathing troubles from time to time. "Yup - yup, it's a pleasure to meet you." He meant that genuinely, it's just that putting on the suit winded him a little bit.

Then, 'Eyes' mentions something about being human. "Heh, guilty as charged."

"I'm deeply intrigued by all of this."

13. - Top - End - #1093

"Oh you should be!" 'Eyes' exclaims, once again gesturing at the door. "I've recently made a big breakthrough in copying and replicating the biochemistry of the biological brain. With the right resources I might just be able to produce a functioning biological clone." The doors slide open before them and Val will find himself looking at what seems to be an airlock or perhaps a decontamination chamber

Red lights greet them as they move inside but 'eyes' make a dismissive gesture and they turn green as the second set of doors open for them. "Of course as usual the problem is copying that..." 'Eyes' wiggle they bandaged fingers. "Mystical part of them. The unscientific aspect. You know what I mean. Why some people are able to nonchalantly able to break all previously known laws of physics. The reason why some of us have to operate under several sets of 'laws'. It's ridiculous." 'Eyes' declares while making air quotes.

On the other side of the doors is a small platform and what seems to be a mess of cables, computers and other electronics surrounding it like a massive hedge. "Oh yes, I should have mentioned. We don't make much, ah, 'meat-space' in here. All this is needed to keep the facility running." A pink platform will however appear underneath them and start to take them over the mass of electronics, like a hoover machine over a lake. Val might have to duck down a bit as the platform has to take them uncomfortable close to the ceiling.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Valiance licks his lips as 'Eyes' mentions a breakthrough. Oh man, this was the sh*t. "Wow. You know, we're really making history here, pal." This was the kind of technology that wouldn't just change the status quo, it'd throw the whole thing out! Maybe that was for the best. "You're talking resources, well - I'm your man." Best to continue to leave out his 'attachments' to VIGIL. His internet friend didn't need to know that. Hell, 'Eyes' didn't even know his real name. "I've actually been looking into some alternatives, or rather - my partners have." A grin from beneath his gas mask. "They just don't know it yet."

Val stumbles forward and squats down once the platform starts to move. "All good, all good." It was not all good. In fact, this was quite uncomfortable. Still, very much worth it. Think of all the opportunities that could arise, were he able to acquire cloning technology? Not only for himself, but for VIGIL. Although, maybe they didn't need to know?

More on that later. For now, he glances up to 'Eyes' and speaks. "Very poetical, why don't you gimme the low-down?"

"Issues, plainly. Are you referring to a 'soul', or?"

15. - Top - End - #1095

"Am I? I wouldn't know considering that it's such a poorly defined concept. That the self would need some kind of mystical double-self to function properly..." 'Eyes' shake their head. "However, while I can't actually tell wherever it's some quality imbued in some theoretical 'soul' or not I can tell you that the qualities I'm talking about is not something which is tied to the biological makeup of a person." They explain as the platform moves over this sea of electronics, cables and computers.
    "Let me use a famous example of what I mean. One of the leaders of VIGIL, Wenomir, is capable of moving near the speed of sound without, apparently, collapse from exhaustion and malnourishment, not to mention all other questions that raise.

Yet nothing in his biological make-up suggests that he should capable of casually disregard the traditional laws of nature like that. Naturally, the simplest explanation is that it's something else than the body that lets him do this. Which makes sense as nothing in the natural world is really capable of doing that in the first place. However, what is this outside source? Following the simplest explanation it might lead one to believe that a device granted him these abilities. But all I know for sure is that any clones of him would lack them. That's the problem I'm having.

What use is there to clone all these people if they don't have the abilities they're famous for?"
    'Eyes' gestures into the air in frustration. "I've cloned others and if they lack a 'soul' it certainly doesn't seem to bother them all that much. They're perfectly capable of acting like other members of their species. They're just not capable of doing more than just that."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-07-09 at 03:45 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1096

Default [Visiting Family]

Hunter, as Zophiel will have been told, lives in Huntside.
    You know, on the way to the Hunting Grounds.
    In a pointy building on the west end of town, right up against the wall.

Although, if you go there looking for her, you're just going to find a note on the door saying that she's off on a trip into the Grounds.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #1097

Zophiel doesn't really remember the Hunting Grounds. He's not really sure if it existed before leaving the Nexus, or if he just never went there. However, that doesn't matter. A wilderness-type area filled with monsters and such seems kinda familiar. Much more familiar than a big metropolis like Inside.

He is, once again, wearing his old clothes. Got his two swords with him, as well.

He heads straight to that pointy building. Seeing the note, this leaves him with two options: either sit around here and wait, or go out looking for her. Both options, obviously, have large benefits and downsides. Sitting around and waiting...is the wrong move. If Hunter's anything like Zophiel, this trip could take several days with no hint on when she'll be back. On the other hand, simply wandering around the wilderness is a pretty poor idea, especially if the Grounds are as large as they could be.

No, he needs to find out some information first. Actually, first, he needs to leave a note: he didn't really bring any paper, so he figures writing on the back of Hunter's note would be the most reasonable.
    Writing, Hey. Came looking for you. If you come back before I do, I went into the Grounds to find you. ~Zophiel.

Okay, phase one done. Next, Zophiel needs to find someone who knows (1) How long Hunter left or (2) when she's expected to return, and (3) if she told someone where in the Grounds she would go or (4) where she usually goes.
    He looks around, looking for people who are nearby. Nearby people probably know best, right? And then he explains what's up, and what he's looking for.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

18. - Top - End - #1098

It wasn't here when Zophiel was here.
    And it isn't really here now.
    But at least it can be familiar for a moment.

When Zophiel asks the crane operator taking lunch near the east gate, he can find out that Hunter left yesterday, heading north. Can't say when they'd be back though. It took a little while to answer, long moments sizing the paladin up to guess if he'd be in over his head, or on the other hand, a problem to the town. But no, Zophiel looks alright to him.

Traveling a little further (not much though, it isn't a huge town) and talking to an apprentice weaponsmith in the market, one can find out that Hunter was going to be searching for an Ice Mantis in the Snowy Plains.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #1099

'head north' isn't exactly enough information when going after someone who has a one-day head-start. Knowing they're one day ahead is helpful, because it means it is possible to catch up with Hunter. Probably. Actually, since Hunter knows the area better, it seems unlikely Zophiel will be able to catch up before the destination.
    He thanks the lunch break guy, but still keeps on asking. Spending an extra hour or two asking around will save a lot of time in the long run.

After finding the apprentice weaponsmith, Zophiel now knows where to go and, after looking at a map of the area and making some preparations for a possibly-several-day-wilderness-trip, heads north to the Snowy Plains.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #1100

Armed with information, preparation, and a look at a map that I'm sure he won't forget shortly, Zophiel sets off towards the Snowy Plains.

First, he'll have to make it through the Normal Plains, a vast sea of dangerously tall grass hiding all manner of dangerous creature. Displacer beasts, land sharks, and kangaroos are just the beginning. Even from here, one can see a towering megabrachiosaur as it thuds along.
    Or he could take a longer but differently dangerous trip through the Forest. The monsters are smaller, but you'll rarely see them coming.

Either way, he'll soon enough start to hear a song. It's an inaudible sort of song, sounding at the back of your head, a song meant to be performed in many parts, but most of them are missing; just a snatch of bass or drum. Still, very upbeat sort of music.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #1101

Obviously going through the Normal Plains is the best move. It's shorter and you can (mostly) see what's coming, judging by the presence of such a large creature.
    Well, the tall grass doesn't help. Not to mention, the size of that dinosaur made the grass look deceptively short by comparison. But at least you can still see some of them. So he chooses that route.

Of course, he gives the megabrachiosaur a wide berth: Herbivores are definitely more dangerous than carnivores, so it's best to stay away from it entirely. That's because a carnivore will avoid you if it's not hungry, while herbivores will attack you just for fun. Or, more importantly, if a carnivore thinks you're a threat then it'll run from you while if a herbivore thinks you're a threat then it'll chase you down until you're no longer a threat. And something that big might just step on you.

Anyway,
    He hears the song. That's...interesting. He stops and turns his head around to see if he can determine which direction it's coming from. The fact that it doesn't really sound like an actual sound is a little concerning, but at least his magic seal doesn't appear to be amplifying it this time.

. . .Maybe he'll be more likely to find it if he keeps on moving. So, the paladin continues in the same direction.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-07-12 at 11:48 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

22. - Top - End - #1102

I think you might be a little confused about herbivores and carnivores, Zophiel.
    Carnivores need to hunt for practice, even if they don't find any fun in it. And creatures of all sorts need to prove that they're the most threatening around.

The song is coming from the north, and a bit to the west. So he'll be getting closer.

The moment Zophiel pauses to listen, the grass parts, and he is set upon by a chaitangtal. A cousin of the dirlagraun and the kamadan, it appears to be nine large cats with dappled fur and cutting tails. They swarm around him like piranha. Each of the cats has two heads with impressive fangs, but among all eighteen heads, it's only one creature. Most of them aren't really there, tricks of the light, but that still leaves plenty of real fangs.

Now, is it hungry, or is it a herbivore?
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2020-07-13 at 10:23 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #1103

Its teeth and its hunting tactics suggest that it's hungry. So really, all he has to do - he figures - is convince it that other things are easier to hunt.

The thing with cats is that they only attack when you stop looking at them, but the problem with cats in a pack like this is that you can only look at half of them at a time. Unfortunately, because he chose to go through the plains instead of the forest, he doesn't have any trees that he can use to put his back against.

Zophiel draws both his swords.

He has to either injure one of them enough to make them all give up, or break through so they're all on one side of him. In an effort to make that happen faster (he doesn't know some of the cats are illusions - and even if he knew that, he wouldn't know how many of the cats are real), he decides to throw one of his swords. Using the other as a counterweight, Zophiel winds up and hurls his red sword (point first, spinning around its first principal axis) at the cat in the north-by-northeast direction.

Expecting all the ones in the southerly direction to attack right at that moment, Zophiel starts sprinting after the sword he just threw.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-07-13 at 04:20 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

24. - Top - End - #1104

Mercy goes right through the cat, which dissolves into a cloud of sparkles. 8 cats / illusions are left!
    All the cats in the southerly direction leap after him, right on schedule.

And so does one from an easterly direction, which charges in front of Zophiel, swiping a set of claws at him.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #1105

Well, Zophiel now knows that at least some of them are fake. But now the question is whether there's just one real or two to four real ones. Probably three real ones, he figures, because there were originally nine.

One attacked from the east? And not just in the same attack pattern as expected.
    That's...
    unexpected.
    Either it's a real one trying to take advantage before Zophiel escapes the circle, or it's a fake one to distract him from the ones behind him. He has to guess which to do. Luckily, Zophiel can heal himself so he's allowed to make mistakes.

He assumes that the one in front is definitely real. There may be a real one behind him, too, but attacks from the front are generally more dangerous, due to the position of vital organs. But if there is a real one behind him as well, the one in front has got to be the pack leader, because it was confident enough to attack from the front.

He doesn't stop running, instead still running. He raises Justice - not to attack, that would take too long - but to block one of the claws and smash the flat of the blade into one of the heads of that great cat. His newly-empty hand goes after the throat of the other head, to grab it. He'll still get clawed by the free claw on his forearm, and he can't do anything about the great cats behind him yet.

He hopes his guess is right, and the one in front is real.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

26. - Top - End - #1106

Do Paladins have their organs positioned differently, do you suppose?

A claw scrapes against the side of the blade. Another set of claws slices into his arm. He grabs a real solid cat from the east-
    And it dissolves into sparkles right away. Seven cats left.

There's just about to be two cat heads trying to bite his shoulders. One of them is ignoring Zophiel and just chasing the red sword where it fell in the grass. And several others are moving to surround him again. If he realizes he can't run, right at that moment, he'll be distracted.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #1107

While succubi definitely have their organs positioned differently, paladins probably don't.

Zophiel assumes the great cat will be unable to carry the sword - maybe drag it, at most, and that would force it to go slowly - so there's no point in going after it. Also, he's confident he could easily get it back simply by doing a trick to one he did at his Vigil initiation, but he's not currently in a position to do that so long as he has a cat on his back.

And he realizes that maybe he was thinking about this wrong. It's not that they're fake. It's just that they're make of sparkles. Like maybe some conglomeration of miniature pixies or something.
    Yeah.
    Assuming they were fake was definitely the wrong assumption, and he got bitten because of it. He's got to recover from that mistake and get back into the same position he was in before, when they were just surrounding him.

So, a single thread - practically invisible to nonmagical senses, appears, attached to the sword in his hands. He jams the sword into the dirt in front of him, largely to create a barrier in case a cat tries to attack him from that side. And then, with both hands, he raises them up just past his shoulders - at the cat-on-his-back's four eyes. Going for the eyes seems like the most effective way to poof it into sparkles and/or get it off his back.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

28. - Top - End - #1108

And Zophiel is of course Definitely Not a Succubus.

Going for the eyes - all four of them! - immediately makes the cat poof into a cloud of fading sparkles, the miniature pixies or whatever scattering away.
    Six coherent sparkle-cats remaining. One on the sword, two in a southerly direction waiting for an opening, one in the northwest nipping at the paladin's elbows, one trying to get at Zophiel but being warded off by the sword in the ground, and one pacing around to the north-east.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #1109

Definitely not.
    Besides, who ever heard of a paladin who became a succubus? Ridiculous. Completely impossible.

Anyway.
    Zophiel probably should take care of that one on his elbows, right? Elbows tend to be important. Once he takes care of that one, he'll feel confident enough throwing away his other sword.

Unfortunately, his arms can't bend halfway through his forearms, leaving him unable to actually reach the cat's heads so long as it remains there at that joint. If only he had more arms, this would be a lot easier. He's already got teeth digging into his flesh, and he thinks he can maybe hear bones crunching. Raising his arms at his shoulders - ouch, he can feel the pain from his shoulders, especially when he raises them like this - in order to raise the elbow-cat's front paws off the ground. That is, of course, immediately followed up with a leg sweeping at the cat's hind legs.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

30. - Top - End - #1110

How about the other way around?

Well, Zophiel has two arms, which means at least two elbows. So if one of them gets its bones crunched, that's probably fine? He'll still have a spare.

He hefts the cat up as it tries to get Zophiel's forearm away from him, and sweeps the cat's feet out from under it.
    It scrambles to try to get its footing back, or get its claws into the paladin or something, but it doesn't seem to be working too well. It's falling, and poof! Sparkles, gone.

Four cats backing off to a safer distance, and one cat slowly dragging his sword away into the tall grass.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine