New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Prumathe's Flat]

If she's here, people who know about the cult may also have come through. Or, if she were speaking to someone she didn't know was helping you, she might reveal things. If we can find her, we can spy on her, learn what she intends.

Sekhmet's answer to Prumahe's last question should be quite interesting.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 8: Rawr serisaurus!

Prumathe's Flat

Sekhmet thinks for a while about that question. "I trust them to want me safe. Beyond that? No. I'll do my best to protect you from them, but you'll need to watch your step, and make sure your thoughts are your own." She doesn't want them to get him too. That would be horrible. She wouldn't wish it on anyone, and she doesn't know about the cloning yet. "Spike, how do you propose..." That was out loud? Oops! "How do you propose we do that? I don't think we could get close to her without her finding our ruse. The only way we could do it would be if we had something crucial to her plan... like me." Sekhmet does not like the idea of being bait.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #363
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Everfree Park]

"Ah, well, that's quite a conundrum then isn't it?" the old man replies with a sagely nod. "What would be assurance enough for your liking, my friend?"

The guy honestly doesn't know.

Convincing a drow that you aren't trying to backstab him?

That's a pretty hard proposition.

Especially when you're a stranger he wasn't expecting to meet.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Orc in the Playground

Prumathe's Flat

"My thoughts are my own? They're telepaths? Who's Spike, is he one? " Prumathe's a little worried with this information. He's still aware of the threat of Sekhmet's mother, though.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #365

Default [Prumathe's Flat]

What if we had a decoy of you? Then she might reveal her plan to the decoy, or let us get a borrower in undetected. Otherwise, we can be very stealthy. Here, let's all talk.

Prumathe and Sekhmet should both receive a call from an unlisted number to be added into their call, should they pick up.
    And if they do, she'll say (in that voice a bit different from her telepathic tone) "This is Spike, one of Sekhmet's 'people', which we shouldn't talk in detail about over the phone."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Prumathe's Flat

"Spike's... Oh, she's calling now." Sekhmet starts to explain. Then she picks up her conversation with both of them. "You could get a decoy of me? How would that work? What's a borrower?" These are important questions. Especially the decoy thing. That doesn't sound easy, or normal.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

[Fairy Mountain]

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Ilpholin purses her lips a little, but says nothing. So that was it. The Fairest of Lands. It was so alien to the world she knew. Did it terrify her? Enthrall her? She wasn't sure of anything, except that it made her uneasy, perhaps simply because she was unsure. She was not one who fancied uncertainty and indecision.

"I see. Well, if you wish to keep relations with the elves, you understand that the King in Rags takes care of those loyal to him. Protection from those trolls is certainly within his power. Do I have your answer then? Will you join him once more and seek the Fairest of Lands?"
    "I will," the Singer declares. "My elves will have to make their own choice, as our pledge doesn't include it. But I will tell them about all they stand to gain by joining our King. The remnants of the giant-kin will be as nothing before one of the Gentry returned."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

Prumathe's Flat

"Um, hello Spike." Prumathe doesn't trust Spike, and that's pretty clear, but Sekhmet's just asked the questions he wanted to ask so he's not got much more to add.

9. - Top - End - #369

Default [Prumathe's Phone Call]

"Hello Prumathe. Don't worry; we aren't going to bother you." Unless he does something to hurt Sekhmet, or gets an army of golems sent after them. That would change things.
    "A borrower is a tiny-tiny spy creature. If we just get one close it can then report on what she's up to." Borrowers are not set to spy on fellow hive creatures. Borrowers have not been set to spy on you. There is no reason to have an x-ray examination.
    "For the decoy, either we'll have one of my group doing an illusion of Sekhmet, or we'll have a Marquess doing it, or ideally both."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

Prumathe's Phone Call

"What do we do now? Uh, prepare, I think?" Should Sekhmet and Prumathe go hide amongst the hive? Should they lie low for a time at home? Should they try to confirm that there really is a devil out looking for her? She doesn't have any good ideas.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #371
    Orc in the Playground

Prumathe's Phone Call

"If she followed me here, she knows where I am and she could be watching. I'm going to order a food delivery from the internet, tell Pontius what's up and not leave my flat for a few days. Until I think I'm not watched any more. Don't come over, Sekhmet." Oh, wait. Sekhmet's not seen his flat, has she? She doesn't know where he lives. "Unless you guys want me to try and lure her somewhere. I don't know where would be good for that. Not where Sekhmet is; too dangerous, I think." There's children and refugees and escaped slaves and all sorts at GLoG. He's not deliberately luring a fiend to their door without warning them first.

12. - Top - End - #372

"Sekhmet, you should stay hidden while I and then Prumathe investigate her."

"How many people know where you live? We could have a patrol pick you up and move you to a safe location. Creatures you've never met before. Should be untraceable unless she's already reading our minds." In which case anything on this phone call is far too late.

"Later, we could send someone to your home, Prumathe, under the guise of a food delivery, and check if she's still around."
    "Then, we have a decoy appear somewhere public, to get her attention going the wrong way. Is this plan acceptable?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

Prumathe's Phone Call

The plan is rather devious, although some issues might need to be ironed out. "That, uh, could work. Prumathe?" He's the one at most risk in the plan, except the decoy. He should have a say in this. "How will we, uh, make sure she sees the decoy?"

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #374
    Orc in the Playground

Prumathe's Phone Call

"Um, quite a few. The neighbours, some of my old classmates and siblings from school." And the orphanage, but he doesn't say that. Sekhmet knows it, though. "Pontius knows, and maybe some of the other apprentices. Um. Not many, though, and none have actually visited." Probably more than that, but those are the ones he thinks of.

"If I leave, on the phone, and say I've got to meet you and then say goodbye Sekhmet, if she's following and listening to me then she'll follow for sure. If she buys it, anyway, and doesn't smell a rat. Or read my mind right now." That's a good way to ensure she's following him- if she's around, anyway.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Everfree Park]

"Ah, well, that's quite a conundrum then isn't it?" the old man replies with a sagely nod. "What would be assurance enough for your liking, my friend?"

The guy honestly doesn't know.

Convincing a drow that you aren't trying to backstab him?

That's a pretty hard proposition.

Especially when you're a stranger he wasn't expecting to meet.
    [Everfree Park]

Sam looks between the man and Raril, sipping his hot drink.
    "Uh, well, if you're the one behind the Everfree Park monsters, that must mean you're a really great magic-person, right? Could you use some of that to help us on our mission?" suggests the spigre. Maybe he could get them some fancy armor! Or a minion! Or a nice set of potions or something.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

[Everfree Park]

Raril thinks for a moment, then shrugs. The old man wasn't being openly hostile, and the drow was pretty sure his coffee wasn't poisoned. Still, there was something niggling in the back of his mind.

"I would like to know your name, if I can. Or at least, something to call you?" He requests. "And any help you can give, we'd be grateful."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Barbarian in the Playground

TBC - MagQuest

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post
    [TBC - MagQuest]

The confused but nonetheless alert soldier cautiously accepts his watch, after watching everyone else take theirs, while Libby tries to give him an encouraging sort of smile.
    Not that this works super well, when she recently murdered one of his companions via terrible shadow demon, but it's the thought right?

If nothing else, it serves to conceal her own concern about whatever plan is being formulated here. Needs recent lucidity bodes well for the viability of the plan, but there is a degree of complication building up here that usually makes things more difficult...
    "Theoretically there should not be much for us to do from the inside."
    Probably. There's a possible complication that's just occurred to her, but she's not sure how relevant it will be.
    Probably won't be. Right?

Blue is talking to the walls! The walls, obligingly, talk back.
    "Oh, just an experiment in weaponizing choice characteristics of her foes. I wouldn't worry about me too much. I'm only so much a puppet as you or she happen to be, I wouldn't hurt your little heads over it. Everyone has their little cosmically abstract strings, hmm?"
    There's a little tittering noise, someone's terrible impression of a lightly synthesized laugh.
    "Would you look at that. Hm. Good luck!"
    Then the walls promptly go silent again after that vague final message.

In precisely eight seconds, a terrible lance of nearly boiling] molten iron is going to tear through that far wall, at an angle that carries it through the floor just shy of its opposite wall. In its wake, the surrounding stone melts and waves of burning air will crash through the room. The lance itself isn't likely to hit anyone.
    But a second later, another one will fly through a different wall, at a different angle. And another. And another. Each as potent as the last and aggressively lethal.
    It won't take terribly long for the entire room to be reduced to a melted ruin and likely collapse this entire portion of the tower.

Was this accounted for in Needs' plan?

Oh crap. Lava flying all over the room. That's bad news for a couple of the MagDrones, but fortunately there's so many that it doesn't really matter. All of those extra Purples were just going to go inactive and lie on the floor the moment the real Magtok passed through that portal, after all. The lava will kill people who aren't so expendable if we all keep standing around like idiots, though! Purple, Libby, Blue! Get going already! The fate of the entire Nexus depends on you morons! Go!

"Hold on. So we're supposed to just leave you here, with Feia? Needs, I thought we talked ab-"

"I will still be here when you get back, Magtok. This is not martyrdom," Needs insists, honestly a little disappointed his brother thinks there's time to squeeze out one last futile protest. There isn't. A massive tentacle pushes everyone towards the portal, lest anyone else get the idea to follow Purple's example. There is no more time to argue; everyone will die if they dawdle here. This entire tower is doomed; it's not a place anyone can get away with standing around for even another few seconds.

"When you find the prisoner, give him one of the spare timepieces. In unison, or as close to simultaneously as you can manage, squeeze them until they break. Good luck, and may the Force be with you," Needs calls out, as a quartet of damp, insectoid wings burst from his spine, buzzing and vibrating like the dragonflies they were so clearly modeled after. Feiadyne won't be able to melt him so easily when he's flying around outside the tower, surely. He's also got a few ideas for that very important thing Blue just passed to him, but we'll get to that in a moment. Have to get out of the tower before it crumbles to pieces first, after all.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2020-01-16 at 12:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Fairy Mountain]

"I will," the Singer declares. "My elves will have to make their own choice, as our pledge doesn't include it. But I will tell them about all they stand to gain by joining our King. The remnants of the giant-kin will be as nothing before one of the Gentry returned."
    [Fairy Mountain]

Ilpholin bows low. "A wise choice. We shall inform the King In Rags of your decision and give you time to present the option to the elves. I am certain they will see the benefit of such a pact." Ilpholin straightens and waits to be dismissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

19. - Top - End - #379

"Good idea. If she is watching you, you can lead her to the decoy. If not, we learn that you're safe for now."
    Spike names a location in the Yellow Zones of Inside, relatively far from the hive, where the decoy will be sent.
    "We should still hide Sekhmet to be safe, and even if she's not following you now Prumathe, your home might be watched. Don't let your guard down."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Prumathe's Phone Call

"I'll, uh, hide with you, I guess." Sekhmet doesn't sound especially happy about going back to the hive. It's not a place she likes, and she's worried about being in close proximity to so many other hive creatures, but it will be protected. She's sure of that. If the Marquess, whoever that is, is sent far from the hive, the hive will be a safe place to stay, right?

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #381
    Orc in the Playground

Prumathe's Phone Call

"I won't, don't worry. Um, when do you want me to go and meet them?" Since he's the one most at risk of being overheard (if Sekhmet's mum is even outside, and he's not sure of that) he won't say 'decoy'. He's also pretty interested in meeting these people.

22. - Top - End - #382

"You should probably make it pretty soon. Waiting might make her more suspicious." Spike says. She stays on the line a little longer to listen to any further amendments or concerns.
    We're not planning to hide you there, Sekhmet. It would be too obvious once she learned of us. We have other places. I think you'll like them better.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

Prumathe's Phone Call

"Really? What are they like?"Sekhmet assumed the hive would do all their hiding in dark, damp places beneath the earth, with creepy lighting and such. What does Spike mean when she tells Sekhmet that she'll like it? She stays out of the planning between Spike and Prumathe. She doesn't want to get in the way there.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #384
    Orc in the Playground

Prumathe's Phone Call

"OK. I'll put some shoes on and get ready to leave. Goodbye, Sekhmet." He doesn't say goodbye to Spike just as he didn't say hello. He's not sure she isn't listening.

After she says goodbye, unless stopped he'll hang up his phone and put his shoes back on, before grabbing a coat and a satchel, ready to head out.

25. - Top - End - #385

To be secure, I won't know which one you're headed to. But they're really different from the Eurus hive cluster where you met us. Tons of people, wide open air...just wait and see!
    Not the most encouraging thing you could say, Spike.

"Goodbye, Prumathe." Spike drops from the phone call.

Back at the hive, they're getting creatures ready, waking the borrowers, stuffing the marquess into an outfit to complement the illusionary disguise, recalling the best stalker nearby from their work in the County of Art to instead find a good position near the decoy-meeting point.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Prumathe's Phone Call

"Bye Prumathe! Bye Spike. Good luck!" Sekhmet hangs up, worried. She takes some time to gather the things she needs: a few sets of clothes, some books, spare paper to practice origami on, more books, a backpack. Winter and summer clothes, actually. She doesn't know if the place she's going will be warm or cold. She hopes for warm. Once she's gathered everything she needs, she can only sit and wait.

On the other hand, Sekhmet's mother, still hiding outside of Prumathe's flat, watches as he prepares to leave. She'll follow him as he does so. Either he leads her to Sekhmet, or the waiting game continues. She has time.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #387
    Orc in the Playground

Prumathe's Phone Call --> Leaving

Just as he went to his flat, Prumathe takes quite a complex route to the meeting place. He wants Sekhmet's Mum to think he's going there, and doesn't want to be followed. He doesn't use any new tricks, though, so there's nothing the demoness hasn't foiled before. Even the bus, though he can't do it too much; it's expensive buying tickets he doesn't really use.

It also gives the Hive longer to set up, though they likely don't know that. Hopefully they don't decide something's gone wrong and cancel their part of the deal.

28. - Top - End - #388

[Leaving]

The meeting place is in kinda a rougher part of town. Not in one of the districts overrun by zombies, but not terribly far away. A few streets end in old barricades, and plenty of storefronts have empty or boarded up windows. Almost no one should be here at this hour.

'Sekhmet' is standing near the entrance to an alleyway next to an out-of-business combination blacksmith and bakery, alternating between looking nervously down the street and looking nervously at a phone in her hand. She doesn't have to fake the nervousness; Prumathe should have been here by new. Did Sekhmet's mother get him already? Is the whole plan done for? How do humans get anything done, with their communications being what they are?

Underneath a table in the bakesmithy, the stalker Ein is projecting a mental illusion to make Sekhmet's appearance line up with how the real one should be: longer hair, actual arms, no chitin, the phone is held securely on her hand rather than precariously in a wing, concealing the borrower nestled by her stinger, etc. The manhole cover in the street conceals the fact that the sewer here is jam-packed with hounds, in case a distraction is needed. Down the street, several archers have been deposited in a clocktower, where they're pretending to be gargoyles; they're for plan C. A countess has burrowed into a nearby basement, in case of serious emergencies.

[Sekhmet's Cabin]

Does she bring her 'pet'?

It isn't terribly many minutes before a hive creature mentally announces its approach to Sekhmet.
    It's time. Walk down to the shore and proceed anticlockwise around the lake.
    A duke-strain controller creature will be there, drifting in over the trees, concealed by a stalker's mental distortion (it's just a bit of wind, just a wisp of fog coming off the lake, the actual duke is still off in the distance, right?).
    (Sekhmet will have at least glimpsed them when she was transformed, huge crab-elephant-zepplin things bobbling around, but as the hive's most independent creature she has had no reason to deal with one closely)
    Wrap your wings and tail around yourself to facilitate pickup. Do not be alarmed by the sensation of carried flight.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2020-01-16 at 12:48 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

"Secret" Meeting

Sekhmet's mother follows Prumathe fairly closely, still invisible, of course. He still suspects she's after him, but he won't lose her this time. It doesn't occur to her yet that he might want to be followed.

Sekhmet's Cabin

Sekhmet does bring Ellie along, even if only to have a point of familiarity in a strange land. The two are standing outside the cabin when the message arrives, and hurry around the lake. Sekhmet does as asked, although her psychic presence clearly makes it known that she would prefer to fly on her own. Where are we going? It's a simple question, but Sekhmet isn't even hoping for a simple answer.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #390
    Orc in the Playground

'Secret' Meeting

When he arrives, Prumathe's quick to approach Sekhmet. "Hey, Sekhmet. Sorry I'm late; I wanted to be sure I wasn't followed." Except that's the opposite motive for his roundabout route; he wanted to make sure Sekhmet's mother didn't smell a rat and skedaddle out to try another approach.

He's totally unaware of the preparations made by the Hive for his (and hopefully Sekhmet's mother's) arrival.