Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 8: Rawr serisaurus!

Alley Escape

Prumathe's phone is a smartphone. There's a little button that activates it, but to get further in one needs either a four-digit pin or Prumathe's fingerprint. Probably his right thumb; the sensor is on the side, where the thumb can reach just by holding it. It's possible for Sapphira to get further, but she'd either need to change her thumb to an exact copy of Prumathe's or guess the numbers needed to access the phone's primary functions.

Prumathe doesn't actually know what to do right now. She's breathing, and she has a pulse, but she's injured. He'll grab for his phone, only to find it missing, and curse loudly. Hopefully the Hive has sent assistance, because otherwise he doesn't know what to do and can't call emergency services to find out.

The golems are frozen in place! That's quite effective. The armour golem advances, though. "You, armour! Work on freeing the others. Start with the gargoyles." The suit of armour nods and advances, marching through the ice and swinging its greatsword to clear a path. It'll attempt to use the weapon to chip at the ice around the other golems, starting with the gargoyles. The other golems are also trying to free themselves, but can't move enough to succeed.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Alleyscape

Sapphira looks frustrated at the phone. How dare it resist her! She looks back at Prumathe, her eyes sharpening, and stares at his hands, trying to get a good look at one of his thumbs. If she can, she'll shift one of her own to match, and press down on the sensor to activate the phone.

Ell Hive

"I don't suppose you would. Maybe when you're older," Sekhmet replies to Lokvah. It's not really something she can just explain. Maybe if she writes a poem. That can wait. She is more concerned with the new message. "Is everyone all right? Where did she go?"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #483
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Allscape]

A hound comes round the corner. They grabbed something nearby when Serket collapsed so. The damage from the blessed relic was more than expected.
    But they chose this whole way to meet with the duke in the first place because of how it was conveniently located for the hive. So it wasn't far, and it was fast.
    It points one of its big claws at Prumathe, and then waggles its little upper tentacles in an obvious 'follow me' motion.

[Ell Hive]

Oh no! The dreaded 'maybe when you're older!' retort!
    But Lokvah just accepts this, because Sekhmet is older and wiser (at least about a few things), and then flies off to rejoin her mantises.

She fled down a narrow street, creating a barrier behind her. Current location unknown. The marquess suffered an unknown injury, but will probably recover.
    That's not the most comforting answer, but it could be a lot worse.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #484
    Halfling in the Playground

[Gem Mountain]

"You know what? I'm good, actually," Fettina ditches the box without opening it and goes over to join Rein, ready to start edging toward the ladder again. "Really not a good idea to fight this thing? I'm okay getting a little up close and personal with stuff, but a zombie gorilla might be a bit much for me."
    My avatar was done by Gulaghar. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Ell Hive

"What sort of injury? Is she all right?" Those are redundant questions, but Sekhmet isn't thinking about that. She's thinking about how this other person was hurt, and she's indirectly responsible. There must be a way she can help. She's beginning to feel guilty about not being there.

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #486
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Gem Mountain]

The two heroes descend back down the secret wardrobe-ladder to the darkness, leaving behind the box and the room and the shattered mirrors.

The last one down will be able to notice the chained gorilla entering the room. It appears very much fleshy and very much angry.

It runs into the room, and immediately runs towards the vanity - smashing it. Then, towards the bed, smashing it too. And then...

As they go down to the secret basement, they'll continue to hear things smashing and being busted, in a way only an angry gorilla can do. Chains rattling, wood splintering, thumps, and so on.

And so, they'll find themselves back in the basement - pitch-black except for the light they use, and with a path of dead flowers leading the way back to where they first were at. And, of course, the offshoot rooms that are probably occupied except when you look into them, and that I would recommend not entering.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

[Château de Lacoste - Main Hall]

The mahogany double doors which cap off the grand foyer creak open eerily as Olvisin pushes all her weight into them, aged hinges screeching as the doors yawn open into a large main hall. Illumination is dim beyond, produced by rows of fixed oil lamps and by the flames within a dying fireplace which dominates one end of the hall, rising nearly twelve feet tall up towards the vaulted ceiling. A closer inspection of the fireplace reveals that the entire structure is built of beautiful red and white marble, its pearly whorls glittering in the light produced by the crackling flames within its blackened hearth. Much like the cameos set into the front doors, the marble itself has been carved in the shapes of dozens of nude men and women, all stacked up against one another in uncomfortable looking positions.

Their expressions are unsettling to look at.

To the south, a pair of sweeping red marble staircases sprawl out into the room, climbing up to an ornate balcony which overlooks the entire main hall. Thick red carpets lined with golden threads drape down the staircases and onto the small landings at the bottom of each set of stairs, their frayed ends muddied by dried bootprints. Aged couches surround the fireplace, foul-smelling stuffing seeping out in spots, and a coffee table littered with stacks of unwashed plates and teacups rests upon a lavish bearskin rug. The walls themselves are lined with cluttered bookshelves, and enormous gothic windows reveal much of the swamp which surrounds the entire house. A pair of unlit chandeliers hang from the vaulted ceiling, the sides of which are complete with small tile-cameos depicting the letter 'S'.

The wood-paneled walls are ornately sculpted with images of choking vines, thorned flowers, red-skinned nymphs, and horned satyrs. A number of serpent and skull patterns have been inconspicuously woven into the wall designs, subtly causing the wood-paneled walls to appear quite sinister. The decorative paneling follows the staircase as it circles upward to the second floor. A cloakroom can be seen to the east, closed and locked tight, while another pair of smaller double doors hidden beneath the pair of staircases leads deeper into the estate.

As M. Monteur, Marin, and the unidentified assistant rush in, M. Monteur calls back to Marin and Olvisin. "Joachim and I will move on ahead. Please, wait here. It is imperative that you remain patient, I will return to address you as swiftly as I can."

At that, he nods, before Joachim, M. Monteur, and Maison push through the double doors beneath the stairs.
    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; 2020-02-25 at 02:55 AM.
    don't click this

8. - Top - End - #488

"Okay," Marin says to him. She releases her grip on Maison and moves out of the way. Good, it seems they might have gotten here in time.

The catgirl moves over to the fireplace so that she can warm up and dry out a little from being on top of the carriage at those speeds. As she starts picking worms out of her hair and off her shirt, she turns to Olvisin to make it easier to not see the design on the fireplace. It's a really nice stone, but... "Did you get any of those worms on you, or was it just me?" she asks.

"This place is a little...eccentric. How empty the town was is a little strange...what do you think about it all?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

[Gem Mountain]

Well, the good news is that likely don't have to open the box once the gorilla is done smashing it open for them.

Reinholdt has to laugh at Tina a little when she backs out though. Not that he blames her. "Undead are just the worst in general really."

Rein starts heading back through the tunnel. "Come on. We got too distracted. Let's just find that treasure room and get rich," Rein suggests as if they weren't already rich. They don't need to solve any mysterious or stop any gorillas if they don't want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Orc in the Playground

To the Hive?

Prumathe heaves Serket onto his shoulder, boosting his strength to make it far easier. "Hey, armour. Leave them, come with me. The rest of you, keep trying to get free and return home." Those golems able to nod, and the armour ceases its chipping at the ice and returns to follow Prumathe as he follows the hound.

Prumathe isn't wearing gloves, so if she can see his thumb and can make out all the squiggly lines and copy them accurately, she can get into his phone.

She could have also tried reading his pin number from his mind, or pressed the button ready to enter the pin, held the phone at the right angle, and made out which numbers were pressed by the relevant marks on the screen's cover- though that's an easier method when the phone has a pattern lock.

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

"Trust me, I'm not about to go wandering," Olvisin says. Once they're gone and the two mercenaries are left behind, she flicks a worm off her hair. "A couple of them. As for this place... it's creepy like a carrion-crawler in a clown costume and I think we've stepped into more than we bargained for."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive Headed

Sapphira takes to the rooftops nearby, going invisible once more and following the group. As she does, she uses her copied thumbprint to open Prumathe's phone and browse through his contacts. There's a specific name she's looking for.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #493

[Prumathe - Headed Out]

They are headed, not to Eurus, but to the nearest church. That will be a safe place to deposit Prumathe.
    The hound will wait outside, because Serket also cannot go inside.
    But it will perform gestures that someone has been assured will indicate to Prumathe that he should go inside the church and stay there. Point this way, slide, point that way, twist down. Get it, human?

[Ell Hive]

Sekhmet, she said 'unknown'. That means they don't know the answer to your questions.
    We'll find out. They seem to be recovering, though unusually slowly.
    Don't feel bad, Sekhmet. The point of using a decoy was so someone better at taking such risks would be the one taking them.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

As the pair of mercenaries speak in hushed tones to one another, streaks of pure white crackle against the stormy blanket of grey sky above, shrouding hot silver clouds with its blinding incandescence, emanating the might of an imminent tempest. Jagged bolts endlessly protrude, filling the sky with undying flashes of radiance. Thunder follows like the prelude to a great song, impetuous rumbling permeating the air every bit as much as the rain. At first it is a crack, violent to the ears, but after comes a rolling sound which dissipates into the surrounding hills.

One particular flash of lightning illuminates much of this main hall, exposing details previously shrouded in shadows. Several paintings upon the walls seem to pop out in the light as if possessing a life of their own, each work of art as eerie as they are exquisitely done. The first of these depicts what appears to be a demonic entity of some sort looming over an aged man. The creature possesses four spindly limbs, as well as anatomical details suggestive of a kind of grotesque femininity. The second painting is a still, featuring what appears to be a quivering mound of severed limbs.

The final painting is clearly the most expensive of the trio judging by the exquisite frame. It is a scene of some sort wherein a satyr appears to have been strung up by his ankles from a darkened oak. A small gathering of women surround the satyr clutching shears, knives, and buckets. A central duo busies themselves with the flaying of the satyr's skin from his flesh.

--

The flash of light fades away as quickly as it came, and as it vanishes, the toll of a nearby grandfather clock signals the coming of midnight. Moments later, from atop the balcony which overlooks the main hall, a voice as harsh as sandpaper echoes out into the room, a whisper somehow as loud as a shout.

It originates seemingly from darkness itself. "Admiring the paintings, are you? Have you a favorite?"

"I do. The third. An exquisite bit of work; 'The Flaying of Marsyas'. Hardly an original, and regrettably so! It is but a recreation of the original work. I recall, distinctly, the night I had it commissioned. A fortnight or so following the execution of poor old Damiens. Ah, Robert-François... a sad tale."

"Have you heard of it? The tragedy that was his life?"

Spoiler: Painting 1
    Show

Spoiler: Painting 2
    Show

Spoiler: Painting 3
    Show
    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; 2020-02-26 at 03:59 AM.
    don't click this

15. - Top - End - #495

The catgirl agrees with Olvisin.

"I was more..." what's the word "enjoying the fireplace," Marin responds. She looks up at the balcony to see the speaker.
    It's true: ignoring the art on the fireplace, it's really nice.

When prompted, she does look at the three paintings: "I agree, the third is probably the best." First's weird, and second's...also weird. If she's heard of Damiens, she doesn't remember. "I don't think I have heard of him."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

"Uh... which one?" Olvisin asks, before she can help herself. A simple "hello" would have been fine, but no. He has to ask them about creepy human art instead.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

Floorboards creak and springs groan as a heavy wooden wheelchair is pushed out of the shadows and into the light of the balcony above. The device's backrest is beautifully engraved in order to resemble an elegant fleur de lis, while the armrests are carved to resemble smooth, feminine arms. An aged man reclines within the wheelchair, his crooked body settled upon the confines of a laced cushion below. A long, wine-colored robe lined in golden accents drapes over the old man's form, the expensive material hanging limply over the man's frail, degenerated legs.

Long sleeves weigh heavily upon atrophied arms, and as he gestures towards the mercenaries below, he grunts as if in great pain. Jeweled rings rest upon his spindly digits, drawing attention to the fact that many of his fingers have degenerated completely at their ends. Some end in small caps of bone at the second knuckle, while others seem enough in all the wrong places, with fingernails having long since peeled away to expose the bed beneath. A blanket covers much of his lower body, but his bare feet can be seen poking through the bottom, toes just as mutilated.

Straggly strands of frayed hair fall over in messy locks on either side of the old man's face, with large patches of exposed scalp evident in the light. His skin, as dry and coarse as can be, is pulled taught over the bones of his face, splitting into open sores which weep. His lips have deteriorated entirely, exposing blackened teeth. Much of the flesh upon his hooked nose is gone, as is an ear. His yellow eyes are small and beady, with an iris as black as night and deeply sunken. A number of small bandages have been stuck upon his face, as well as several stitch-scars.

He coughs loudly before continuing, his breathing quite labored.

"It is written in my books, in one of my immortal works, that the basis of all life is death. I was younger then, and with his death so fresh upon my worried mind, I fear I was undeservedly sentimental. You see, man has given a false importance to death. Any animal, plant, or man who dies adds to nature's heap! Becomes the manure without which nothing could grow, nothing could be created! Death is simply part of the process. Every death, even the cruelest death, drowns in the total indifference of nature; nature herself would watch unmoved if we destroyed the entire human race!"

"Yes, I hate nature, this passionless spectator, this unbreakable iceberg-face that can bear everything! There is little joy in its work. Not so, for you and I. Sentience makes sadists of us all. We always beaten down those weaker than ourselves, haven't we? Torn at their throats with continuous villainy and lust! No more clearer is this than in our execution of Damiens after his unsuccessful attempt to assassinate Louis the Fifteenth (now deceased). Oh, I remember how Damiens died. How gentle the guillotine is compared with his torture! It lasted four hours while the crowd goggled and Casanova at an upper window felt under the skirts of the ladies watching."

"Do you know how they did it? Can you even fathom a guess at it?"

Spoiler: Figure
    Show
    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; 2020-02-26 at 07:40 PM.
    don't click this

18. - Top - End - #498

Wow, the atmosphere of this place doesn't ever seem to change, does it? Every time there's something new that becomes visible, it just fits in perfectly with the same themes.

Marin listens and looks up at the man in the chair. He wants them to guess how Damiens died, right? It'd fit in with the atmosphere if it were a sufficiently painful and awful way. Burning to death? Horses? Crucifixion? But that one would take far longer than four hours. "Was it fire?" she asks. "Or maybe horses?"

But also this guy...he's probably their client, right? Honestly, after that frantic drive to here and everything else that has happened, Marin is still a little dazed and lost. She wants to kind-of get a bearing on what's going on, so she then also asks, "Excuse me, are you the master of this place?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, wonderful. Their probable employer is off his gourd and looks stitched together. How does one use horses to kill someone, though? Getting trampled isn't the worst death...

"Did they pour acid all over him? Released flesh-eating beetles?" she guesses.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Orc in the Playground

Headed To Church

...No, no Prumathe does not get the movements. Unless it's pointing at the church, anyway. "What? What do you want, I don't understand."

Prumathe's Phone

Well, there's quite a few contacts. Pontius, Sekhmet, Susanne and Kissaye, The Good League of Good, Wokkin' Good and Happy Penguin Children's Home all have landline numbers, whilst he has mobile numbers for Pontius, Susanne, Kissaye, Matron Sloefoot, Naburo and Shakil.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Phonemathe

Sapphira hesitates for a moment before phoning Sekhmet on landline. When there's no response, she enters the mobile number instead.

Ell Hive

And Sekhmet's phone begins ringing in her purse. She pulls it out, sees that it's Prumathe, and immediately moves to answer. There's only a few instants in which anyone could stop her.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #502

[Taken to Church]

Ugh. Dumb humans.
    The hound bounds over to him and tries to pull the insensate Serket from off his shoulder and lay her on the ground.
    If it can manage that, it will prance right up to the door of the church and point a claw at the building.

[Ell Hive]

Stop. The instruction comes with a mental force, a pressure most similar to being paralyzed with fear. Perhaps Sekhmet can answer the phone regardless.
    Osa's uppermost right arm snaps out to try to flick the phone away without even turning to look at Sekhmet. Ell can see everything well enough for all of them.
    Your human has lost his communication phone. That is not him. The inability to move that Osa tried to impose would go away at this point, regardless of how successful it was.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Ell Hive

A stunned expression comes over Sekhmet's face as the psychic force locks her in place. The phone is knocked to the floor What if it is him? What if he's in danger? Sekhmet indignantly asks. She's not happy about her body being controlled like that. The phone stops ringing, then buzzes once. A new voicemail has been received. Sekhmet picks it back up, but doesn't listen to it yet.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #504

Default [Ell Hive]

Look
    Osa will direct Sekhmet's attention to and mediate a connection with the hound that is with Prumathe and Serket, so that she can see through its eyes whatever Prumathe does in the next post.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #505
    Orc in the Playground

Taken to Church

Now he gets it! Prumathe heads to the church, knocks on the door and heads inside. He hopes Serket survives, though. He is very clearly not holding his phone, or using it in any way.

Hopefully the Hive either has a way to block phone tracking, or Sapphira doesn't know how to do that.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Ell Hive

Sekhmet watches Prumathe go into the church. She wants more than anything to speak to him, to tell him that she's all right and to thank him for risking himself for her sake. However, she can't, with only the mute hound serving as an eyepiece for her. She returns to herself, relieved. He'll be safe there, at least. She looks at the phone. I don't think she can hurt me through this. She plays the voicemail. The words that emerge end any doubt of who placed the call. "Sekhmet... Sekhmet. It's me, your mother. It's been over 18 years since I've seen you. I didn't even know you were alive until a few months ago. Please, please talk to me. I want to hear your voice. I want to meet my daughter. Please, Sekhmet. Please come home. Please..." Sapphira's voice trails off with just a hint of tears as the message ends.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #507

[Taken to Church]

Almost all churches will be sympathetic to "I'm being pursued by a fiend." and will give you sanctuary there.

The hound will start slowly dragging Serket off into a dark corner somewhere.

[Ell Hive]

Osa confirms that it was just a recording.
    I did not detect any unusual influence in the recording.
    We are not experts on fiends, but I do not believe Sapphira was sincere.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Ell Hive

Everything I've read says she's up to something, but she sounded so sincere. Sekhmet agrees. Sapphira is a very good actor. If she rings again, should I answer?

Churchy Stuff

No reply. Unfortunate, but expected. Sapphira puts away the phone and turns back to her quarry. She can't watch Prumathe and also follow Serket at once. Prumathe is more likely to lead her to Sekhmet, but this might be a chance to discover who their mysterious ally is, the wizard who created this imperfect copy of her daughter, and this other creature as well. She would relish the chance to rip that knowledge out of the mage's skull. She could make good use of it. Still invisible, she turns away from the church to follow the retreating hound and the unconscious Serket. Hopefully Prumathe doesn't go anywhere while she's away. That would be annoying.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #509
    Orc in the Playground

Within the Church

You say that, but I happen to know there's a church in Riverside that has invited Sekhmet to worship there, promising her she'd be accepted and even welcomed with open arms. There's a lot of gods in the Nexus, as Anoia proved, and not all have the same opinions.

Either way, Prumathe sits at the back and decides to try waiting. He doesn't know how long he has to wait for, but he'll ask the armour golem to keep an eye out for Sapphira and let him know when she's gone. At which point, he's probably taking the armour golem and going to GLoG. They're where Sekhmet lives, so it might make sense to let them know why she's not using her cabin temporarily.

30. - Top - End - #510

[Ell Hive]

It is possible to sincerely miss someone and also plan to destroy them. They know this from experience.
    You still should not answer. If she is 'up to something', it would be easy to record such a message to further her schemes. If she is an 'innocent mother', she can demonstrate that in more meaningful ways.
    Osa hands off a phial of healing elixir (which she has not stopped working on this whole while) to a passing worker to be delivered.

[After Church]

Welp, now Prumathe is lost.
    When the hive sends someone by a couple hours later, he'll be long gone, won't he?

Serket is placed in a nearby alley, lying next to an air-conditioning box and a dumpster.
    And then the hound leaves her and scampers off towards the [Bombed-Out Red Zone].
    It'll take about ten minutes after that for Serket to wake up.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2020-02-28 at 03:53 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine