New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 8: Rawr serisaurus!

[Gem Mountain]

"Mm, dunno if I got anything for a demon. How do demons do with lasers?" Tina asks as they meander on. Surely Rein has seen how those two things interact before. He's seen it all. Fettina mulls over the trap question as they pass through the throne room. "I dunno. Keep my eyes open? Don't touch everything? Check like... doors, ceilings, the edges of doors... be suspicious of treasure..." Tina counts these off on her fingers. "I guess Dena might have said more specific stuff, but I sort of zoned out."

"This place smells friggin' weird," Tina says, still flicking her flash light around at the study, mostly because she has fun flicking the light around. Also, who knows. Those dim torches could leave some dark corners. The library's boring contents do a suitable job of boring Fettina... and don't long distract her from the contents of the northmost exits. "Oh, ****!"

Well, ray-gun is out now. The bizarre key-tar toting, bodysuit wearing, be-goggled chrome angel now starts waving her presumably deadly weapon at the corpse-strewn hall rather than her flashlight. "Jeez... Rein... I thought this place was gonna be like... lighter hearted. This is horrible. These guys..." A beat. "...Should we check how-- how long ago they died? W-What got them, maybe?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

[Gem Mountain]

"Depends on the kind of demon I think." Sometimes lasers work. Sometimes only exorcisms.

Rein pokes around some of the book, keeping an eye primarily for out of place scrapes on the floor. A tell-tale sign of a moveable bookcase. "Well, that's more or less true. But what you want to be aware of are the three kinds of traps. There's-" Reinholdt doesn't get to finish his sentence as Tina discovers the bodies.

Rein clicks his own light back on, staying near Tina for the moment and putting a hand on her shoulder to try and keep her calm. He frowns as he looks over the corpses, thinking and remaining vigilant. What especially disturbs him is that he thought he saw something move. No one should still be alive right? The corpses look too aged. Maybe.

"I do believe I warned you this place was super spooooky and that I ran for my life on at least three seperate occasions, yes?" Light hearted was not at all in his description! "Adventure is a lot of fun, but it has a lot of risks and you have to be prepared for this sort of thing. We both figured the entire construction team died suddenly. It's just... a shame to be right." Why were so many of them here? Did they all die here or were they put here later?

"It's not a pretty job and it's a thankless one, but we're one of the few people who can give them closure. Or the treasure room should be to the east." Sometimes you have to recognize there's nothing to be done and take the more selfish route. "Still, I'll check them out because you're asking the right questions. How long ago and what got them. Have you ever checked a dead body before?"

Rein will carefully walk towards the nearest corpse. He'd normally tiptoe, but they've been talking, so no point in trying to pretend to hide his presence. He will keep an extra eye out though. It'd be unusual for a trap to catch so many, but not unheard of. He intends to kneel down and go over the corpse, looking for a cause of death and any hint as to if they died here or was placed here later. Particularly wary that the corpse might not stay dead, he keeps great care to not present any vulnerabilities to the mouth of the corpse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Gem Mountain - North]

((Oh, right. I forgot to say. If you ever don't like the direction something's going, or you think it's a touch too far, or you want something specific, just say so and I can change what's going to happen.))

Of course there's a few scrapes on the floor on the west side of the room, suggesting a hidden passage behind a bookcase. They're near where the scrapes from the chair and desk are, so the bookcase's floor-scrapes are a little more camouflaged than such hidden passages usually are. What sort of self-respecting castle doesn't have a few hidden pathways?
    Unfortunately, none of the obvious books seem to trigger the passageway, which suggests there's some other mechanism that would open it.
    Also, unfortunately, it seems Rein doesn't have the time to do that, because of Tina.

And the corpses.

With their lights shining directly on them (and having approached them more), they can now see more details about them. The bodies have burn-marks. Not just anywhere, though - the burn-marks are especially concentrated around the mouth and nose and - on the few that have small cuts or wounds - there's also wounds there.

Of course they don't move while Rein kneels by them. They're corpses. Corpses don't move. But...judging by the the way the dust on the floor is, around them, they obviously weren't dragged. As one might expect from zombies, the dust-patterns seem to suggest they walked there (more recently than the construction workers were here, but still months ago) (but their clothing suggests they are construction workers, which means Rein is right to be worried that they're undead) and then collapsed.

Careful examination will reveal three important clues as to what happened.
    First, besides the burns, there's no other obvious injuries on them that would scream 'this is how they died'.
    Second, in addition to the burns around the mouth, etc, a close examination reveals that there's also burns inside their mouths.
    Third, the bodies are significantly warmer than one would expect for something sitting in a cold cave for years.

Fourth, because you need to go partway down the hallway to reach them, they can now see farther down the hallway past the turn. The rest of the hallway is lined with torches, but the torches farther down the hallway are even dimmer. And, one by one, the flames on those torches go out.

In fact, in the entire hallway, all the torches are slowly dimming. It's slow enough that it's hard to notice until suddenly you'll realize that nearly all the light in the hallway now comes from the flashlights, and maybe the ray-gun depending on how brightly it glows. When I imagine a ray-gun, I usually imagine it glowing.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Crossroads]

That's a lot of darkness and fire. What oddity did the King in Rags have join her? Ilpholin accepts the hand offered with her own and shakes. "Temporarily regular I'm afraid. Morning sickness passes quickly enough at least." It shouldn't hold her back in this endeavor.

"He provided instructions, but not directions. I was told to come here and wait for more."
    [Crossroads]

The significance of morning sickness is lost on Damon. Different creature, different processes, different...sicknesses. He stares blankly at Ilpholin. It may not be obvious through the fire, but there's always that kind of feeling of momentary awkwardness when someone's just completely missed the point of what you've said.

"Then I ssupposse we wait. Whatever you are to do musst be dangerouss if I am to act asss your protector."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

[Crossroads]

The two won't have to wait long before someone... or something... appears. It's a bird. Hard to tell what kind of bird, exactly. It looks like a crow, but from another angle it's almost like a magpie instead. Or maybe an owl? Its form is pitch-black at the centre and greying around the edges, constantly blurring and shifting. The one constant element of this creature are its eyes. Large and bright yellow, with very large brown irises and pitch-black pupils.

"Ilpholin and Damon," it says, in a deep, reverberating voice that doesn't sound right coming from it. "I am to be your guide on the King's mission. You can call me... hmm. The Eye of the Bird."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-08-24 at 12:45 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

[Crossroads]

That feeling of awkwardness is rather pervasive. "I suppose so. Diplomacy always carries risk." Waiting. Sounds like a plan. Should she ask about all the fire and darkness? Probably not. Sounds like a bad plan.

There's a nearly audible sigh of relief when the bird shows up. Though it is even more dark and blurry than Damon. This'll be a bleak trip. "I'll follow your lead, Eye of the Bird."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

7. - Top - End - #37

[Crossroads]

Well, that's certainly something. Thank goodness the King didn't keep them waiting too long - doesn't seem like Damon and Ilpholin are too good at the whole small talk thing.

Mostly Damon's fault, I'd say. He's not particularly approachable these days.

He peers at the bird, tilting his head as the creature seems to shift forms before him. How strange. "Then guide uss. Lead the way."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

[Crossroads]

The bird takes flight, its wings stretching... far further than they appear. The bird-like shape becomes even more blurry and indistinct as it spreads its wings above the two, its eyes remaining as the only constant element. As they set out after it, they will feel the road ahead... stretched, then compressed. The Eye of the Bird seems to be doing something to the space they're traversing. It appears less a continuous trek and more like a series of images. The road becomes a woodland trail, then a mountain pass, then a long bridge across a lake.

As the sun sets, the Eye of the Bird resumes its previous shape, sitting down on a rock. Ilpholin and Damon will find themselves on a naked, wind-swept crag in a silent, dry stretch of land just under the slopes of a mountain.

"The domain of Singer in Dimmed Crystal is under these hills," the Eye of the Bird tells them. "Head up the slope and you will find one of the entrances. Tell the elves that you have been sent by the King in Rags. I will be here when you return."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mountain Slopes]

"Nothing's ever simple with him, is it?" Ilpholin says, finding that nausea returning in full force. She excuses herself for a moment, as she steps aside and expels stomach contents in a rather undignified manner.

Ilpholin returns a few seconds later, wiping her mouth, thoroughly embarrassed. She doesn't draw much attention to it as she starts up the slope instead. "So, how did you get yourself roped into the King's service?" Ilpholin asks Damon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

10. - Top - End - #40

[Gem Mountain]

"Well I mean, there's spooky and then there's this, you know?" Fettina says, still a little quavery. She waits while he goes to check, trying not to seem too jarred by the sight. "I dunno how we'd even get them all out of here if we wanted to."

"I haven't checked bodies any more than I've dodged traps," the gal explains. She watches over Rein as he checks things... and pretty readily notices the lights starting to disappear. Her raygun's tip does indeed provide ample illumination, but it makes her no less perturbed. "Rein!" She waves her weapon at the disappearing torches and the dimming light. "Might wanna back up!"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

[Gem Mountain - North]

"Time. And heavy labor," Rein distantly explains, only half-listening as he looks over the bodies and mutters to himself. "No drag marks. No struggle signs. Burns?" He frowns as he feels the temperature of the bodies. Far too warm for the amount of time it's been.

"I think we're looking at demonic possession. These people were likely immolated from the inside after it forced its way into them through the mouth," Rein tells Tina, about to point out some tips on examining corpses to her when she cries out in warning. His head whips around to look down the hallway and his solid pink eyes get even wider.

He spins on his heel and starts scrambling back towards Tina fast. "GO GO GO GO!" She might be an angel of sorts now and Rein has some tricks up his sleeve, but he's not ready to test either of those things. Demonic possession is not something you mess around with.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2019-08-30 at 05:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

12. - Top - End - #42

[Gem Mountain - North]

The hallway's lights continue to dim until the only lights are the lights the two are using, and the lighting from the rooms behind them.

Rein is almost entirely correct in his assessment of the cause.

Once the lights are out, the charcoal-y breeze that has been coming down the hallway begins pulsating, like it's being pushed by a heartbeat.
    Not all of the bodies start to move, only three of them. Although they're not technically zombies, I'm going to call them zombies for the sake of convenience.

The three zombies stand up. It's not in the manner you would typically associate with standing up. Instead, it looks like they were puppets attached to invisible strings, and the puppeteer is pulling the strings to make them stand. They start stumbling towards Rein and Tina, again as if they're puppets walking, without a care for what's the normal way to walk. And then, suddenly, the closest zombie's open mouth begins to glow with light, which seems to have an origin in the back of its throat. Some thick green gas fills its mouth.

Then
    Like a flamethrower, a plume of fire blasts out of the first zombie's mouth towards the two adventurers, and the fire stops after three seconds.

And the second zombie's mouth starts to glow in the same manner.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #43

[Gem Mountain - North]

Rein's urging is enough to get Fettina out of the way of the first blast. She half stumbles, half flutters out of the way, doing her best to shield Rein from any excess heat. She doesn't know how she does with burns. She's simultaneously a little scared and a little curious to find out. More scared than anything, considering the twitching, shambling motions of those fleshy puppets.

Well, nuts to this. Fettina tries to get herself back to a safe distance, if there is one, and return fire. Her whirly-tipped raygun emits a lance of yellow energy, a sort of... matter disassembly beam, if you will. Whatever objects it traces across - to a certain limited depth and thickness, thankfully - will be neatly severed at the striking point.

Tina holds the beam and flicks it back and forth across the hallway, just once. If it glances off them or something, well... time to depart with all haste!

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

[Gem Mountain - North]

Running out of the hallway with a plume of fire at his back is certainly one of the most cinematic moments Reinholdt has had. No doubt his hair remains perfect and untouched during this adrenaline packed moment.

He's far too busy leap sliding over the desk to crouch behind it to care about any of that though. A desk in the middle of a library of books is hardly the most fire resistant, but it should still smolder long enough to be an interposing force. It'd be preferably if nothing in here caught on fire at all though, so Rein peeks his head over top the desk, noting Tina backing away while firing a crazy looking ray gun. And fire mannequins. Well at least it wasn't just an overly invasive plume of smoke. He can at least shoot at fire mannequins too.

Reinholdt will take aim at the head of the closest one with his pistol and squeeze out three rounds of very normal bullets.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

15. - Top - End - #45

[Gem Mountain - North]

The two adventurers have to be on some kind of reality TV show, because what Reinholdt just pulled right then was too good to be missed by viewers everywhere. At the very least, there's always the chance they're on a shampoo commercial right now.

Flames burst out of the second zombie's mouth, but it obviously misses. If the zombies were smarter, the farthest one away would have attacked first, because then at least the intrepid adventurers wouldn't have moved out of the range of the closest ones. The flames of the second one don't even reach Fettina or Reinholdt, as they now know how far the flames can shoot - and it's not far enough. And it doesn't even try to aim at Rein, because he's in hiding. To it, Tina is obviously the better target because there's nothing in its way.
    It does manage to heat up the air, however.

Tina will soon discover that she does not have to flee: the matter disassembly beam seems to work pretty well on their fleshy bodies. All three of them, though the one in the back is least affected because the closer ones act as a meat shield to block most of the beam. The beams penetrate their fleshy stomachs, almost cutting them in half (it doesn't get their backs or spines) so some of their entrails spill out.

Also, flames start spurting out of their stomachs. This ray gun is too overpowered.

And the zombies' luck turns to the worse, as Rein blasts open the head of the closest one! Now, instead of a mouth and head, the closest zombie just has flames spurting straight out of its neck. But, unlike normal zombies, a head-shot doesn't kill it.

The flames start burning at the wounds, turning them black.
    All three of them continue stumbling towards Tina.

And, the closest zombie - Zombie #1 - falls apart, due to all the damage it has received from the brunt of the raygun and all of Reinholdt's very normal bullets. Its flesh falls apart and burns up, leaving behind...a flame elemental that had been living inside the body. Still mostly-human-shaped like the body was, except without a head. And, simply put, apparently made of pure flame.

Of course, now freed from the awkward and slow flesh, the flame elemental is now much quicker than its two zombie-friends and starts running at Tina in an attempt to grab her in some sort of awkward flame-hug.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #46

[Gem Mountain - North]

Well this is taking a turn for the bizarre. Fettina tries to intercede between the incoming elemental and Reinholdt, but the thing is going for her anyways. "Uhh-- Keep back, Rein! And if you got some kinda magic to get ridda these things--" A moment later she's seized. The chrome gal has skin that can deflect laser weaponry, so it's possible even magical flame will have a hard time hurting her. Her jumpsuit is pretty tough as well, but it isn't really meant as armor. "****! Uh-- Rein! Fire extinguisher! Middle pouch on the back of my belt!"

She shouts that at Rein because her hands are going to be pretty busy. She tries to grab the elemental if she can. The gal is made of celestial metal, but the creature may lack a solid form to grab on to. If the grab works, well, she's gonna try to punch it. In her head, she is gonna punch it hard enough to make it explode. She is strong enough to crack stone, if that means anything for this exchange.

If Rein has time to snatch something from the middle pouch, he'll discover a small orange canister with a spray top.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

17. - Top - End - #47

[Mountain Slopes]

Sadly for Ilpholin, Damon is not going to be her nausea-buddy. He finds the trip quite fascinating, but seems to have a firm enough hold on his stomach not to be affected by the distortions to such a degree.

He waits patiently and even manages to avoid commenting on her sensitive stomach, but that's about it.

"Roped? Heh. I'm ssssure if assked, the king would ssay I am one of hisss sservantss, but I prefer to think of myssself asss more of a ssort of "hired help". He payss, I work. He sstopss paying, I leave. If I don't like the offer, I refusse." Damon shrugs. "But he payss well, and I need it. I ssought to kill a powerful demon, and found mysself helplesss. He can give me what I need to kill the rotten thing."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mountain Slopes]

"Oh I'm sure the King in Rags says that about all of his associates." Ilpholin says, slowly sweeping the slope. "Demons. They're all scum. Did you kill it in the end? Or is that an after this endeavor?"

[Gem Mountain - North]

"What the Mag..." Zombies were already terrifying! Fire elemental zombies... less so? Rein's not as afraid of fire as he is zombies, though the circumstances should warrant a bit more. But the cat absolutely hates undead. Fire's cool on the other hand. Nice and warm, and obvious weaknesses. A shame this cave was lacking a good sprinkler system.

Maybe this fire was too nice and warm and way too friendly as it goes after Tina. Rein's tempted to shoot at the other zombies since it'd be a mistake to forget about them, but he doesn't want their fire to escape and escalate things, seeing how fast this one is. He drop his pistol and pulls out... A medallion and a faerie wing? Oh no, a flairie wing. It's easy to get those confused. Not the taste though, as Rein pops the wing in his mouth and chews, making a disgusted face at the chalky flavor.

With a shuddering swallow, Rein slips the medallion on as he rushes over to Tina and retrieves the fire extinguisher after some fumbling with her belt. "Is this in your back pocket solely so you can make the euphemism about being happy to see someone?" Rein asks as he points the canister at the elemental and hits the spray.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

19. - Top - End - #49

[Gem Mountain - North]

The fire elemental is grabbable.
    If it can grab her, then obviously she can grab it back. It feels like trying to grab something that's a mix between burning hay and liquid rock, densest in its torso. So...not the easiest thing to grab, but still grabbable.

As the fire elemental is punched, it starts to break apart and separate a little, but because it's not completely solid it doesn't break apart like a rock. Punching it also causes bursts of fire.

However! While punching it seems to only be somewhat effective, the fire extinguisher is super effective. It smothers the flames, completely erasing its limbs. Limbless, the fire elemental flops onto the ground like a jellyfish on dry land, and then continues to disappear as the fire extinguisher continues its suffocation. Soon, because of the fire extinguisher, it will completely vanish.

However, there's still two more of these zombies. Now that they know how to defeat them, it probably will be pretty easy to finish them off.
    They've had enough time to get close enough to the two of them, so the now-closest zombie tries to grab both the adventurers at the same time (as green mist starts leaking out of its raygun wounds and its mouth), while the back zombie starts to build up flame to shoot out again.

...Actually, thinking about what might happen: if the back zombie's fire burst hits the leaking front zombie's gases, it might make that one explode.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #50

[Gem Mountain - North]

Fettina stares at the deadly soft-red glow of her hands, freshly superheated, and then at the smoldering remains of the elemental as Rein blasts it to nothing. She's a little too busy exulting in punching fire to make a cute comment back at Rein. The gal laughs, abandoning fear (and perhaps reason) as she snatches up her weapon again to dismember the other zombies so Rein can extinguish them too. She unfortunately doesn't notice that this might be her last ray-gun blast, considering it starts to melt in her hands...

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

[Gem Mountain - North]

Eep! Rein refuses to get grabbed by a zombie and skirts around the side. It leaves him a little blind to the possibility of the oncoming explosion, but in his haste he's also prematurely spraying that fire extinguisher all over the two zombies as if they themselves were on fire. Not horribly wrong, and maybe effective considering their wounds, but not exactly the most efficient either.

"Don't you know a corpse is supposed to grow cold? Let me help you out." Rein feels like these fire zombies are lacking in this basic knowledge and need to be forcibly reeducated.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

22. - Top - End - #52

[Gem Mountain - North]

Between the dismembering and the extinguishing, several things don't happen. The explosion doesn't occur. The two remaining elemental-zombies don't have any fight left in them. They don't breathe fire or burst or whatever else they were planning on doing; their (un?)life is cut short. And, possibly out of fear for being destroyed, none of the remaining warm corpses (that are still down the hallway) move. Now there are no elementals/zombies left standing to face the fearsome adventurers.

I'm sure they all are very grateful for Rein's schooling that they're supposed to be cold. Unfortunately, they don't respond to his witty banter. And I guess it's fortunate that nothing else decides to take advantage of the now-melted ray-gun. The two adventurers now have some relative peace so they can calm down from all the adrenaline and discuss what to do next.

All that's left of the elementals is a pile of cooled slag that's a mix between fire extinguisher gunk and the semi-liquid flammable remains of the elementals. If they choose to touch it, I'll bet it feels incredibly gross. Like, 'why am I even touching this' gross. Of course, if they can stomach doing that, they'll be rewarded with their efforts: they'll find a small, warm glowing-like-embers heat stone in each of the piles. Once they're washed off, I guess they'll be useful for keeping warm during the winter or for a light in case their flashlights somehow run out of batteries. To be honest, unless someone's got gloves or a stick to sift through it, they're probably not worth the icky sensation you'll get by touching the gunk.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #53

[Mountain Slopes]

Damon stares blankly at Ilpholin for a moment. Was it not obvious he had not succeeded yet?

Well in fairness, she doesn't know all the details.

"I have to find it again firsst. The creature fussed itsssself with a temple, actss asss if it iss sssome manner of deity. It iss not eassy to kill a living temple." there's a definite hesitancy, and more than a hint of self-doubt to Damon's words. "Sssure, the King hass paid me well for my sservicess-" Damon twirls an axe in his hand, the blade bright and shimmering, "Moonlight, apparently. And it hass been sshaped, given purposse. It hass been made to kill that creature. But, I-" Damon sighs and tucks the axe back into his belt, hiding it amidst the flames that cover him once more. "I guesss that sshowss how well the demon got to me. I ssstill doubt mysself."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mountain Slopes]

"Good," Ilpholin says. "People without doubt are fools. I guarantee you that demon who thinks itself a god considers itself above mortal laws and kin has no doubt about itself. It cannot conceive its own downfall."

Ilpholin clenches a fist, knuckle growing white. "It will be all the more satisfying then, when we obliterate its followers, tear down its walls, and show it the stench of its own mortality as its life is snuffed out by your hands."

The nymph takes a steadying breath, letting the red creep back from her vision. "I have heard of these temples. We will find them soon enough. I tire of playing for the defense."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

25. - Top - End - #55

[Gem Mountain - North]

"Ah, fooey," says Tina, stuffing her ruined raygun back into its holster. She doesn't deign to touch the elemental's goopy remains. Her eyes move to Rein. "Well, where to now? Should we see what we won in the corpse department?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

26. - Top - End - #56

[Mountain Slopes]

Sometimes, the fire is a welcome refuge for Damon. For example, right now it's keeping Ilpholin, hopefully, from seeing him just kinda open-mouthed in disbelief at her words.

Her hatred for demons is certainly impressive.

"We?" He asks, tilting his head to one side. "What ssstake do you have in my battle? Have they caussed you sssuffering too?"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mountain Slopes]

It's hard to stare into fire for extended periods of time, so Damon gets the visual privacy he desires. "Your battle is my battle. I will kill every demon, down to the smallest imp, even if I have to tear all nine hells out of reality with my own two hands," Ilpholin somewhat clarifies. "Though Sargon is my immediate goal. He's the head of their alliance and his fall would surely cause a bloody power vacuum. He's most likely in the castle he stole recently." Gotta find that.

Realizing she didn't exactly answer the question, Ilpholin glances at the ground, looking for the entrance they seek. "Their existence cause everyone suffering. But make no mistake, I kill them for my sake alone."

[Gem Mountain - North]

Rein glances at Tina and down at the mess. "What? No, definitely not." Rein just lightly prods the goop with his boot and has to shake it off. "We got a lot to go and I don't want this stuff all over me until we're closer to done. Speaking of done, how much does this have left?" Rein asks, handing Tina back her fire extinguisher.

Frowning at the hallway, Reinholdt turns back to the study. "We don't know if the rest of them will pop to life if we pass by them, so we should probably hold off on that for a moment. Besides, come here. I wanted to show you something." He'll lead the way back to the bookcase he spotted earlier.

"Look down here." Crouching down, Rein points out the scrapes upon the floor. "This is one of the tell-tale signs of a secret passage. This bookcase moves somehow. We should figure out how."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

28. - Top - End - #58

Default Re: Serious Plots 8: However!

[Gem Mountain - North]

It's true. The bookcase apparently moves somehow. Rein expertly noticed this earlier.

There's the scrapes on the ground by the bookcases on the west side, which suggests that particular bookcase moves frequently. (The bookcases, of course, attached to the walls so it's not like you can just lift them up and move them.)

However, noticing the bookcase's floor-scrapes isn't all that obvious due to one simple reason: it's not the only thing that appears to have frequently moved. The nearby desk has also frequently moved up next to the bookcase and back several times. And by how deliberately the desk's floor-scrapes are, always moving to a similar spot right next to the bookcase, it suggests there's something more than somebody who just liked rearranging the furniture. Especially since the desk and the bookcase are probably the only furniture they've seen so far that appears to have frequently moved.

However.
    However however however.
    Looking at the floor won't reveal any additional clues. There's no apparent trapdoors, pressure plates, buttons, or anything else hidden in the floor.
    Looking at the walls doesn't seem to help either. None of the books scream "pull me" or look out-of-place. There's nothing else nearby those bookcases on the walls that looks like it could be used to trigger a secret passageway.

However, ((if you think you've got it figured out)),
    Spoiler: solution
    Show
    On the ceiling next to the bookcase, there's a slightly discolored (due to age and weathering) spot which looks like it could act as a button. Whoever moved the desk would apparently move it so they could stand on it and reach the ceiling.

Press it, and the bookcase revolves completely around, only allowing a brief moment to go through the bookcase before it closes again.

However, if the desk is moved to underneath the button, the bookcase spins until it hits the desk and...stays open until the desk is moved, allowing some light to filter into the passageway.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2019-09-21 at 10:55 AM. Reason: However however however however however however
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

[Mountain Slopes]

Ilpholin will see the entrance soon enough, though it's not below. A little above them and to the right, a little-used path cuts through the slope until it reaches a crack in the rock, scarcely wide enough for two people to walk abreast. Above it, runes are cut into the mountain, filled with some kind of crystalline substance. They read:

STAND AND ANNOUNCE YOURSELF

30. - Top - End - #60

[Gem Mountain - North]

Fettina gives the tiny orange extinguisher a shake. "Hell, I dunno. At least a couple good shots yet. My gun is definitely busted though. Don't suppose you've got anything for a quick fix?"

She follows Rein without argument, not exactly eager to walk past all those bodies, and gives an excited gasp when she sees the scrape. "Oooh! Good info! So how's it move? Do we just pull it?" Fettina goes to do so, utilizing her considerable strength, but doesn't have the wherewithal to start looking for a secret mechanism yet.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters