New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 46 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

So I need a reply here to subscribe...so let's post the MHA season 4 trailer that came out this week. Sorry funanimation has not subbed it yet.

Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

I watched a little of the Netflix NGE dub, and I dislike it so far. I skipped ahead to some of my favorite lines from Asuka, and the voice actress just sounded... bored to me.

Lots of the translation in the first episode was way too literal, and I don't feel got across the tone of the dialogue well.

I hear they even changes the subtitles to be more literal but less meaningful.

I think the failure to include the covers of Fly Me to the Moon is a travesty.

I might try watching more some other time, but my first impressions are bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    I watched a little of the Netflix NGE dub, and I dislike it so far. I skipped ahead to some of my favorite lines from Asuka, and the voice actress just sounded... bored to me.

Lots of the translation in the first episode was way too literal, and I don't feel got across the tone of the dialogue well.

I hear they even changes the subtitles to be more literal but less meaningful.

I think the failure to include the covers of Fly Me to the Moon is a travesty.

I might try watching more some other time, but my first impressions are bad.
    Yeah that seems like the general concensus, though some people are liking it (mainly people who've never seen it before, which is all right by me honestly).

The change to more literal translations over, plus music rights for In Otherwords falling through, are pretty tragic though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I can explain this!

It's a studio mandate from Japan. That's basically it. The people in charge of the actual series said "for this dub we'd like the line to be this". It's the same as how they're really trying to present Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus as Just Friends, even though they're allowing them to in show be like "hey Neptune let's _not_ talk about our sex lives in front of these people, let's save it for private" and stuff like that. It's way more explicit in the text but they want to present it as Just Friends on relationship charts and stuff.

Specifically caused by this incident with Rebuild 3: https://twitter.com/fooly_cooly/stat...30726607114240
    Ah, so it's another Sakamoto case. Japanese author gets involved in the translation despite having no idea of how translating things works because obviously as Almighty Author, he of course Knows Best.

(Course, the difference is that Other M was already ****ing atrocious before the bad dubbage forced by author added an extra layer of bad, while Evangelion was at least competent, but you know what I mean).
    Last edited by Drascin; 2019-06-23 at 05:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Ah, so it's another Sakamoto case. Japanese author gets involved in the translation despite having no idea of how translating things works because obviously as Almighty Author, he of course Knows Best.

(Course, the difference is that Other M was already ****ing atrocious before the bad dubbage forced by author added an extra layer of bad, while Evangelion was at least competent, but you know what I mean).
    The irony is some of the non english Netflix subs and dubs are using an equivalent word to "love" and not the word "like" so on and so on.

So even with this intent, they did not get what they wanted.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it more ironic or serendipitous (or just funny) that I actually do most of my forum-ing on a smartphone?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay. As apparently the only person I know to actually like the show, I like that it fits well with the thread titles.

So as the season winds down, with some shows ending, and dubs closing in as well, I guess an end of season post would be a good way to subscribe.

9/10: Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu - Plenty of shows go with the socially awkward main character. Not many can do it well enough that it doesn't feel either cringy or make you feel bad for laughing. Bocchi strikes a great balance of keeping it light and being genuinely hilarious. A season 2 is a must.

8/10: Sounds of Life - I picked this show up late, but I'm glad I did. The character development in this is top notch.

Rising of the Shield Hero - I am well aware of the problems with this show. I also tend to agree that the second half might be weaker than the first. I also still somehow enjoy this show every week.

Fruits Basket - I feel like this show just started to ramp up. It can be inconsistent at times. Some legitimately funny episodes, some solid emotional moments. But a lot of the cast still feels bland. It's a good thing Tooru is such a gem.

7/10: The Helpful Fox Senko-san - I appreciate that this show is basically meta talk for what seinen shows are for. It can be funny and cute at times, but also can be boring, and really plays with that line that crosses over to creepy.

We Never Learn - I'm liking this more than Quinuplets. Probably a lot of that has to do with the fact that the girls didn't start out all unlikable douches.

Senryuu Shoujo - A weak ending, but there's no denying that Nanako is diabetes in a mute can. One thing that sets this relationship apart is that you don't often see a girl and guy being longtime friends first, and seeing their relationship advance. Since, you know, the childhood friend never wins.

Kenja no Mago - You thought this was just another generic harem isekai, but it was me, Shin!

6/10: Strike Witches 501st JOINT FIGHTER WING Take Off! - It's uh, gotten better. But the jokes still feel mostly repeated from the main show. Just give me season 3 now.

5/10: Isekai Quartet - I guess it might be funnier if I had seen more than one show from the list?

Ao-chan Can't Study - Comparing this to Senryuu Shoujo and Fruits Basket, all of which air on the same day, and this show just feels so...superficial? The relationship is really hard to believe, Ao herself is so disorganized in her feelings, and I just...don't care. Also the dad was super annoying. I'd rather have Mineta from My Hero Academia than that guy.

Carole & Tuesday is a two-cour, so waiting on that to hit Netflix is gonna be long. Next season has a lot of stuff I'm eh on, but we'll see.

Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo - One of those shows I know nothing about other than the plot given, and it's vague as hell.

Arifureta - So, the idea of a whole class like Kenja no Mago, and the main character with a terrible power like When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace.

Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru - I can't not watch the next Doga Kobo show (also already confirmed dub)

DanMachi season 2 - Been awhile, may have to rewatch season 1 to refresh my memory.

Fire Force - Really only gonna give it a show because of the hype.

Dr. Stone - See above.

Sounan Desu ka - Comedy about girls stuck on an island? How could I not?

Re:Stage! Dream Days - I have not been able to get into an idol show outside Love Live. Still trying.

Machikado Mazoku - This looks like Hina Logi or Endro, or a combination of.

Takagi-san season 2 - Didn't really like season 1, but I'd like to see if they get away from the repetitiveness.

Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasu ka? - The trashy ecchi of the season I'll probably not make it far in.

Joshikousei no Mudazukai - It sounds so generic, but sometimes those are the ones that impress the most.

Isekai Cheat Magician - Between this, the one with the mom, and the above mentioned with the whole class, I think we've got it covered this season.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2019-06-24 at 04:04 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Anyway, new chapters of series that don't get their own threads (which is at the moment just Chainsaw Man since I refuse to read {Scrubbed}The Last Saiyuki, it can go to hell and stay there).

{Scrubbed} that's actually horrifying.

This has been your weekly reminder that Chainsaw Man exists and is awesome.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-11-24 at 11:37 PM. Reason: clean up

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Well Vox wrote an article about the Evangelion translation controversy.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/6/2...u-gay-backlash

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

So A Silent Voice is up on Netflix and I was always interested in watching it, but I can't stand to watch more than like 2 minutes at a time with 10 minute breaks in-between because there's so much bullying and it makes me viscerally uncomfortable.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

12. - Top - End - #12

We finally got the first Souma's Food Wars epilogue chapter.

They really, really think we give even the slightest **** about this? About THIS? Now? When the series is over???

****ing Hell Warden Higuma gets cancelled and gets one epilogue chapter that isn't even out yet, and it's one of the best new manga of the year, and... THIS is what a long running fan favorite series does for it's epilogue? Really?

God I ****ing hate Souma's Food Wars.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, yeah, this is a huge disappointment, and I have no idea why this happened. But I also feel no urge at all to get worked up about the weird decisions of mangaka (or editors, or whoever) It is disappointing but that's about it.

Also, I still have no idea how I feel about Chainsaw man. I wish I could make up my mind one of these days.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

What was it about? I considered reading it but since I only know the start of the series I probably lack the context.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    What was it about? I considered reading it but since I only know the start of the series I probably lack the context.
    Chainsaw Man continues to be a series that feels like it's one step away from cancellation, but persists in surviving despite all odds. It's super basic and weird and uncomfortable but also really interesting and drawn in a fascinating style and there's something to be said about how it is approaching it's themes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Again it's the animes that on the surface, have the most contrived premise, that i end up finding to be profound. Gunslinger girl first season's ending was so mesmerizing. :O

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose it's officially the start of the new season for me - I've watched the first episode of Magical Sempai and added it to the roster. The episodes are 12 minutes each, but split up into five segments - that means the gag density is pretty enormous. The titular character is good fun and adorable - cute little fang, impossibly inept yet endearingly enthusiastic, silver hair, and yes, massive knockers. Also a talent to get herself into conspicuous situations. The main character seems to be a more than passable straight man, too. I don't expect this show to ever get boring, if only by the breakneck pacing with which it throws its gags at you. It's basically in the same category as Aho Girl - utter nonsense in terms of content, super fun opening sequence, leaves you with a smile on your face when you're done. Something I didn't get from the Ao-chan anime last season, weirdly enough - it didn't have the gag quality or density.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2019-07-02 at 04:09 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

18. - Top - End - #18

The only anime this season that look appealing (beyond Retsuko) is Dr Stone, Astra Lost in Space, and Vinland Saga.

Stone is the one I'm most concerned about given the art style is very specific and unique and I'm unsure if animation will work for it or not. Astra is going to be likely one season since it's pretty short, and Vinland Saga is... well, I'm legit hyped for it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a bunch more on my potential list:

Joshikousei no Mudazukai. I've read the manga up to a point, it's decent fun. There's a {Scrubbed}girl who's my favorite.

Takagi-san, 2nd season. Maybe they'll come up with some anime-original stories. It should pass the time. It's mostly about the chemistry of the Japanese VAs for me.

Dumbbell nan Kilo Moteru? Senko-san was a bit of a snoozefest; let's see if this one brings the funny.

Machikado Mazoku. Apparently, this is a flipped magical girl show of some kind - the protagonist is a perfectly average girl who happens to be dirt poor, but one day is endowed with magical powers. Except they're demonic powers, and she's the dark magical girl on the side of evil. I suppose I expect her to not do a very good job, and for the "good" magical girl to be a bit of a piece of work. Could be fun.

For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat the Demon Lord. Title's a handful... Please make it not creepy. Good wholesome adoptive parent/daughter slice of life, no wife husbandry under any circumstances. {Scrubbed}. Thank you in advance. (Also, I'm not trying the Mother/Son isekai show. Any soul brave enough to venture there, tell me if it's half as creepy as it sounds.)

Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo. Could be a fun romance slice of life show. 22 episodes and a "drama" tag is interesting. It doesn't look like it'd be pointless melodrama, the character designs are more on the fluffy side.

And yes, obviously Kanata ad Astra (though I've read the manga, which means I know the major twists beforehand - to anyone else: this is not a show you want to be spoiled on - tread carefully!) and first and foremost Vinland Saga.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-11-24 at 11:01 PM. Reason: clean up

20. - Top - End - #20

The author of Mom's Two-Hit Combo personally describes it as mom-con so yeah no don't touch it with even a ten foot pole.

Also we picked a good thread title given how ****ing many garbage isekai's are out this season. Good lord.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-02 at 05:09 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Magical Senpai was meh. I didn't really laugh at anything, and the guy just kind of being there is annoying. I hope things progress beyond what seems like a repetitive skit show.

First episode of Are You Lost was a little better. Though a lot of it was backstory to explain how they got to the island in the first place. It's a weird juxtaposition, to have this potentially deadly situation of being trapped on an island, being treated more as a comedy. It's not necessarily bad, but it makes me wonder what direction it's gonna go in. Not complaining at all, but I was not expecting the gratuitous panty shots.

I find it odd that "Demon Lord, Retry" sounds exactly like How Not to Summon a Demon Lord, but without the hot elf girl.

Yeah, there's a lot of isekai this season. And while I've kinda enjoyed the trashier ones recently (Smartphone, Death March), even I'm a little disappointed by it. Arifureta is my dark horse for being the best one, though even I'm not intending to watch all of em.

Fall is already looking like the season of sequels. My Hero Academia, Psycho-Pass, Radiant, Hi Score Girl (though thanks Netflix for waiting to stream their shows, this one doesn't count), Seven Deadly Sins (same), Food Wars, We Never Learn, Sounds of Life, Fairy Gone, Chihayafuru, and Granblue Fantasy. At least half of those I intend to watch, though I don't know if I wanna catch up with Radiant.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2019-07-02 at 10:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

So, watched first three episodes of Madoka Magika today. Interesting, since while it is my first time, it's sort of my second (thanks to SF Debris) and I think I'm enjoying it a lot more seeing how it fits together than I would completely cold (which is a usually entirely opposite).

(I did have to google what the hell "eight-grade" translates to, because as an old fogey, I can't even grock UK "year x" (since it came in just after my time) and I know people have all explained it to me before, but it just doesn't stick...)

Homura is the best.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    (I did have to google what the hell "eight-grade" translates to, because as an old fogey, I can't even grock UK "year x" (since it came in just after my time) and I know people have all explained it to me before, but it just doesn't stick...)
    What if I told you that Japan doesn't have a grade system, and the original line was in the "old fogey" format you grew up with?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    What if I told you that Japan doesn't have a grade system, and the original line was in the "old fogey" format you grew up with?
    Well, wikipeida did at least have a conversion, at any rate.

When I were a lad, there wasn't really a system so much as just "first to third year infant," (5-7) "first to forth year junior" (8-11) and "first to fifth year senior" (12-16) - if even that - at least at the two schools I went to...

Be a lot easier if they just said the age and stuff directly, really...!

25. - Top - End - #25

Madoka Magica is real good ****. Definitely watch it in threes (three episodes a sitting) for the best experience.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Madoka Magica is real good ****. Definitely watch it in threes (three episodes a sitting) for the best experience.
    Which is kind of convenient, since that is my usual method of watching anime (or cartoons, for that matter!)

(FMA Brotherhood being a notably exception in that I did in more than that!)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post

For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat the Demon Lord. Title's a handful... Please make it not creepy. Good wholesome adoptive parent/daughter slice of life, no wife husbandry under any circumstances. {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}. Thank you in advance. (Also, I'm not trying the Mother/Son isekai show. Any soul brave enough to venture there, tell me if it's half as creepy as it sounds.)
    Unless the show makes a radical departure from the manga, you're in luck.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-11-24 at 11:03 PM. Reason: scrub the quote

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I remember reading a couple of chapters of the manga and having the same impression. But I am one of the unfortunate souls who looked up and read the Usagi Drop manga after watching the anime, so... You never quite trust the world the same ever again after that. Happily, the first episode looked like exactly the kind of good-natured fluff I was expecting.

I've also seen the first episode of Dumbbell, which I suppose was decent enough. Both the opening and the ending theme felt like I was listening to the Uzamaid ending again, which is not the worst thing. I wonder if it's going to get into the sports show formula of the main viewpoint character starting to go on competitions and the like, as implied by how the first episode ended, or just stay slice of life - also what the other characters from the intro (who have partially been shown, but yet to be introduced to the fitness studio setting) are going to add, since the school idol ojou-sama who is also a muscle fetishist, while amusing, doesn't have the depth to keep things interesting on her own.

Astra Lost in Space looks like a faithful adaptation so far, which is excellent because the manga is brilliant and I don't think there's anything you'd want to change. Experiencing the story for the second time is just as fun in an entirely different way. Suffice to say it's a sci-fi mystery show and if you've never read the manga you want to dodge spoilers at all costs. I wish the rest of the show was 45 minute episodes, too - apparently the announcement was just for the opener.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2019-07-05 at 05:04 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Just watched the first episode of Dr. Stone, seems an interesting show overall. The idea is cool, I just hope it's executed well. The characters at least seemed fun.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

I can't tell if the characters in gantz, are stupid, or just really realistic. Either way, I can't avert my eyes.

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.