New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    I can't tell if the characters in gantz, are stupid, or just really realistic. Either way, I can't avert my eyes.
    You decided to watch Gantz?

My condolences.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

My condolences.
    it's fascinating, is all i can say for the time being.

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    I can't tell if the characters in gantz, are stupid, or just really realistic. Either way, I can't avert my eyes.
    It isn't unfair to describe Gantz as a train wreck. A train that runs over good and bad with the same enthusiasm. It feels like a warning, in hindsight.

My condolences.
    I read the manga years ago. Is there another anime attempt going on, or is this just a new victim of an existing crime? It's not that there aren't good things to say about the material. There's just also a lot of bad things about it too. And the good is like "novel story, strong aesthetics, nonpredictable battles, wicked art" while the bad is stuff like "aborted plotlines (yes, there were vampires), body horror (and several other kinds), the depths of human depravity, and battles that run on bs."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Hbi2k's Gantz abridged was a close as I think I need to come to that series...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

The only even remotely good thing about Gantz, aside from one or two characters, is that at the end
    Spoiler
    Show
    everyone sings the One Piece anime theme as they're abducted into the human harvesting alien warship.

It is otherwise miserable and I hate it.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

As someone who saw the anime when he was way younger and read the manga when it was ending..
    I think the anime is fine at doing what it does. That is, assuming there isn't some deeper meaning it fails to convey, it's just a pretty average, decent looking death game with gore and nudity.
    The manga is a much more mixed bag, but overall quite a mess with a few better bits of story. But... It can be pretty damn gorgeous to look at in its weirdness.

On another note, 7DS is still in its death throes and once again I'm reminded of one of the things I really dislike : how useless everyone is who isn't a sin (almost). I guess there are justifications for it but it still feels annoying to everybody else.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Hbi2k's Gantz abridged was a close as I think I need to come to that series...
    Is it entertaining to watch an abridged for a show you've never seen? I don't think I've tried, outside of like LittleKuriboh's Naruto spoof. But that had his brand of humor that I was already familiar with, so I could get into it.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Is it entertaining to watch an abridged for a show you've never seen? I don't think I've tried, outside of like LittleKuriboh's Naruto spoof. But that had his brand of humor that I was already familiar with, so I could get into it.
    I have never watched Yu Gi Oh outside of one episode to decide it was dire, I only watched about half of DBZ (and a different dub), I've never watched Helsing at all, nor Berserk nor Escaflowne nor Yuyu Hakasho...

Actually, aside from Naruto Abridged (and LK's parody of Naruto Abridged) and FFVII Machineabridged, I think the majority of Abridged stuff was on stuff I've never (or would never) watch.

So, as thgey say, I think that rather speaks for itself.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of mega-violent anime/manga that thinks it's being deep and "woke" when it's really just unnecessarily edgy...

Elfen Lied.

Also the fan interpretation of Goblin Slayer.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

It depends on the Abridged show...
    I think the better ones* require some knowledge of the original, or it's just a gag dub. The point of a parody is to take elements of the original work and exaggerate, subvert, twist them in another thing. TFS' Vegeta is funny because he is the original turned up to 11, Alucard and Anderson's relationship great because it removes all the subtlety from the subtext and makes their gay love obvious. If a show just makes pop culture references or meta jokes it can still be funny but imo it's not really a parody of the original. (That said, I won't claim I don't enjoy a bunch of jokes that are not strictly parodying the original. The original Abridged series used to and still very often is much disconnected from the anime but it's still very enjoyable)

*that is, the ones that actually refer to the events in the original, not just make random jokes

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Speaking of mega-violent anime/manga that thinks it's being deep and "woke" when it's really just unnecessarily edgy...

Elfen Lied.
    Didn't we just do this and come to basically all agree on it?
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

If we did, I don't remember.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

If we did, I don't remember.
    Sorry, maybe it wasn't that recently ... I cannot find it by searching the forums, so my memory is probably more messed up than I thought.

Okay: Elfenlied is at best a pretty mess. The animation is good and so is the soundtrack but I think it's among the few anime I consider I hate, mostly because of how misanthropic it is. I can take the gratitious violence and nudity but 99% of the story is effed up. (~50 word review)
    "What's done is done."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Man, I forgot how strong Vinland Saga was from the word go. I was hoping the adaptation would be good and so far it's amazing.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    It depends on the Abridged show...
    I think the better ones* require some knowledge of the original, or it's just a gag dub. The point of a parody is to take elements of the original work and exaggerate, subvert, twist them in another thing. TFS' Vegeta is funny because he is the original turned up to 11, Alucard and Anderson's relationship great because it removes all the subtlety from the subtext and makes their gay love obvious. If a show just makes pop culture references or meta jokes it can still be funny but imo it's not really a parody of the original. (That said, I won't claim I don't enjoy a bunch of jokes that are not strictly parodying the original. The original Abridged series used to and still very often is much disconnected from the anime but it's still very enjoyable)

*that is, the ones that actually refer to the events in the original, not just make random jokes
    But the good ones are often also structured so that non-viewers can understand what's being referenced or parodied by the nature of the reference/parody itself. Certainly I didn't have to go watch DBZ or Hellsing Ultimate to understand how the abridged versions related to them.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Depends on how easy it is to tell when the abridger is parodying an element of the work. I'm sure someone who's never seen Yu-Gi-Oh will understand the "we'll solve this by playing a children's card game" parts but will be lost at, for example, the Catapult Turtle part and not see exactly why "this game is a load of bollocks"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

With Takagi-san being fashionably late, more first impressions so far:

Wasteful Days of Highschool Girl is looking all right. An odd mixture of characters - some of them are kind of legitimately awful people, but there's a bunch that are just massive weirdos in an adorable way. I'm a big fan of both the {Scrubbed}one and the really tiny one who very desperately tries to get taken seriously. Some Asobi Asobase vibes - though not quite as funny and well-animated.

I watched the first episode of Granbelm. It has chibi mechas, and what looks to be an excuse plot aimed at facilitating chibi mecha fights. What put me off a fair bit was that they tried very hard to make the various fighting mages/mecha riders look super intense and rip**** pissed while they were fighting, while I still had no idea who they were or why they were even fighting in the first place. Honestly, I struggle to name something about the show that I would consider particularly notable or interesting; it's just generic. I could watch more of it to see if there is something, but that's very unlikely to happen. (It had this one line that was kinda funny - in which the main character briefly thinks she's been reborn into an isekai show and gets very excited about it, only to learn that no, that wasn't what was happening.)

Maidens of the Savage Season, it turns out, is about a group of nerdy, misfit highschool girls in a literature club who, being in the range of 16-18 years old and having read one too many serious literature novel that included erotic scenes, suddenly realize they're very, very interested in everything related to sex. It looks like a super fun coming of age dramedy. Certainly one of the highlights of the season.

Another highlight, of course, is Vinland Saga. What I've seen so far is promising enough. I've read the manga up to a point, which hampers the enjoyment a little since I pretty much remember what happens.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-11-24 at 11:10 PM. Reason: clean up
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on how easy it is to tell when the abridger is parodying an element of the work. I'm sure someone who's never seen Yu-Gi-Oh will understand the "we'll solve this by playing a children's card game" parts but will be lost at, for example, the Catapult Turtle part and not see exactly why "this game is a load of bollocks"
    Ironically the one only episode I watched WAS the one with the catapult turtle...

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

He's a world-weary policeman who just lost his partner. She's a magic knight from behind the portal to the world of fairies and monsters. Together, they fight crime!

Out of nowhere, Cop Craft got its hooks in me with its first episode. It looks well-executed, and I always love the fish-out-of-water angle.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Man, I forgot how strong Vinland Saga was from the word go. I was hoping the adaptation would be good and so far it's amazing.
    I was incredibly impressed by how quickly they sold me on the goodness of the adaptation. I was a little skeptical of their decision to start it up where they did (based on the first two episodes), but I think this is going to be a phenomenal opening.

Spoiler
    Show

It's interesting that they so quickly seem to be moving towards Askeladd's betrayal of Thors, when the manga took time establishing Thorfinn as one of his men, then making you wonder why he always challenged Askeladd to duels, finally revealing the moment of treachery. But I think it's going to wind up being a lot more poignant this way, because it takes on the arc of a doomed hero with a very foreshadowed death. Then we'll go back and show that impacting Thorfinn.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    I read the manga years ago. Is there another anime attempt going on, or is this just a new victim of an existing crime? It's not that there aren't good things to say about the material. There's just also a lot of bad things about it too. And the good is like "novel story, strong aesthetics, nonpredictable battles, wicked art" while the bad is stuff like "aborted plotlines (yes, there were vampires), body horror (and several other kinds), the depths of human depravity, and battles that run on bs."
    My couple top favorite things were:
    -The protagonist's growth. He starts as a wimp desperately trying to have sex with any hot women that shows up. But eventually after everybody else dies he starts taking responsibility, not only fighting the aliens head on but also providing leadership to the newbies and even figuring out the normal girl next door has feelings for him and so starting to date her. And when eventually super hot idol falls for the protagonist, he makes it clear right away he already has somebody in his heart and will stick with her.
    -When said idol that got dumped just decides to exploit the setting's mechanics to get a copy of the protagonist to serve as her personal boyfriend. In particular because it explores the whole "replacement clone" aspect that shows up in plenty of media, but rarely taken in account that you don't need to wait for the original to die to make a copy. Plus hey, a pretty nice way of solving love triangles. Also hilarious when the protagonist meets his clone and one of them goes "Wow, talking to myself like this, I ralize how much of a d*** I can be".

And I would consider that exploring "the depths of human depravity" isn't necessarily a bad thing. In particular when characters often get punished by it, like that other dude at start who tries to abuse the "you can use your super weapons against anybody between missions as long as you don't leave witnesses" and ends up having his head bomb detonated. Similarly body horror may not be everybody's cup of tea, but there's plenty of fans for that. (cough Franken Fran cough).

In the other hand the vampires aborted plotline and all the bs being pulled during battles were plain bad yes.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-07-10 at 01:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I was tempted to read Fire Force after watching a well-animated and hype first episode, which is understandably more exciting than Dr. Stone's first ep. The Fire Force anime is a large step up compared to the manga art. I though the fan service would dial down but 50+ chapters in and I'm still a bit bothered with the excessive amount of fanservice.

For anyone who has read Fire Force (Enen no Shobotai) farther than me, I'm curious if this just a thing the manga does, or does it stop or dial down at some point.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2019-07-10 at 10:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    I was tempted to read Fire Force after watching a well-animated and hype first episode, which is understandably more exciting than Dr. Stone's first ep. The anime is a large step up compared to the manga art. I though the fan service would dial down but 50+ chapters in and I'm still a bit bothered with the excessive amount of fanservice.

For anyone who has read it farther than me, I'm curious if this just a thing the manga does, or does it stop or dial down at some point.
    If you mean Dr Stone, there isn't muuuch fanservice, but it's artist literally did porn so you get what you paid for. Don't know anything about Fire Force.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    If you mean Dr Stone, there isn't muuuch fanservice, but it's artist literally did porn so you get what you paid for. Don't know anything about Fire Force.
    Whoops, I meant Fire Force.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

24. - Top - End - #54

Yeah no idea then.

Anyway, Manga that don't deserve threads time: Black Clover looks like it'll be ending soon, and Chainsaw Man persists despite every single solitary thing (and even gets a colour page!)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    He's a world-weary policeman who just lost his partner. She's a magic knight from behind the portal to the world of fairies and monsters. Together, they fight crime!

Out of nowhere, Cop Craft got its hooks in me with its first episode. It looks well-executed, and I always love the fish-out-of-water angle.
    Well that sounds like exactly my kind of thing. I will add that to my queue.

I just finished watching The Promised Neverland. Absolutely amazing, but parts of it hurt. Waiting for season two so I can do that to myself again.
    Last edited by Excession; 2019-07-10 at 08:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Depends strongly on the abridged (or the abridger). The big-name series are pretty good on their own - I've never seen Hellsing, but Hellsing abridged is damn amusing. You're almost guaranteed to be missing out on some of the humor, though - I've also seen DBZA, and their series definitely had some jokes that really only work for people who watched the show (e.g. Piccolo's backstory references). With most of the random abridged series I've seen, most of the humor comes from subverting the series, which only works if you've seen it (e.g. Code Ment does a lot by making Lelouch stupid, Suzaku a complete moron, etc.)

On that note, which abridged series would you guys recommend? I've seen most of the major ones - DBZA, Hellsing Abridged, YGOTAS, SAOA, and Code Ment - and am hoping there are others close to the same level.
    Last edited by uncool; 2019-07-10 at 08:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground

Unlimited Blade Works Abridged is excellent, but it definitely requires knowledge of the source material (to the point that they even threw in a gag calling out people who complained about it). Ideally you'd want to have seen all of Unlimited Blade Works, Fate/Zero and Heaven's Feel going into it.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by uncool View Post
    Depends strongly on the abridged (or the abridger). The big-name series are pretty good on their own - I've never seen Hellsing, but Hellsing abridged is damn amusing. You're almost guaranteed to be missing out on some of the humor, though - I've also seen DBZA, and their series definitely had some jokes that really only work for people who watched the show (e.g. Piccolo's backstory references). With most of the random abridged series I've seen, most of the humor comes from subverting the series, which only works if you've seen it (e.g. Code Ment does a lot by making Lelouch stupid, Suzaku a complete moron, etc.)

On that note, which abridged series would you guys recommend? I've seen most of the major ones - DBZA, Hellsing Abridged, YGOTAS, SAOA, and Code Ment - and am hoping there are others close to the same level.
    I liked Hellsing abridged even though I only kind of watched Hellsing for like two episodes and don't really remember it. its definitely the blackest of TFS's humor though.

Sorry, you've probably seen all the good ones to my knowledge. I mean there is a single episode of MHA Abridged made by the same guy who did SAOA with Takahata doing a great All-Might, but Something Witty takes forever and a half to make any episodes at all.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

As far as I'm concerned there is one more "good one" - Nullmetal Alchemist, based on the 2003 anime.{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-11-24 at 11:15 PM. Reason: clean up

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Ignoring the happy ending edit there, I do love how being an anime fan is so recursive. That exact sentence could be said about a lot of anime *glares at Mon-Colle Knights menacingly*.

Honestly, aside from Jojo, Yugioh, DBZ and Hellsing (the latter of which went a little try-hard on some of it's jokes) I can't even remotely stand abridged series. I've ricocheted off them like a rubber bullet. I think part of it is that they seem to not understand what the term "abridged" means. It means... shortened. As in not longer than the original. I also feel like every abridged series should, even for a bad series, speak to what good is in it (even garbage like SAO) and sort of... I don't know, embrace the series for all it's positives and flaws? I feel like there should be some degree of love present in the series, otherwise it starts to feel kinda meanspirited. I think DBZ and Yugioh probably did that the best, with Jojo a close second and Hellsing being... a little too far.

Also it should really tell you something that of the Abridged series I like, all but one of them are made by the same team.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-11-24 at 11:16 PM. Reason: scrub the quote