New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    And that's cool! And there are other series out there than that trash. I wouldn't... necessarily recommend Black Clover. It's a very "love it or hate it" serires ala Fairy Tail, though without the rampant awful sexualization Fairy Tail has going on... but with the unfortunate "Natsu/Asta are the best at everything forever and always solve the problem by hitting it very hard" writing. So yeah, love it or hate it series. I have... difficulties with it because whenever it does something cool it counters with something annoying in a stupid way.
    I can't think of a single important fight that Asta has won on his own. Maybe one. While the show does star him, it makes it very apparent that he is working at a loss due to not having any magic. Also, the "rampant awful sexualization" in Fairy is waaay overblown and always has been. Yes, the characters are sexy, but this isn't Sekirei levels of wtf with clothes being ripped off. Plus, and I seriously still do not understand this, Fairy Tail is the ONLY show, the only one, where people actively complain about that.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I can't think of a single important fight that Asta has won on his own. Maybe one. While the show does star him, it makes it very apparent that he is working at a loss due to not having any magic. Also, the "rampant awful sexualization" in Fairy is waaay overblown and always has been. Yes, the characters are sexy, but this isn't Sekirei levels of wtf with clothes being ripped off. Plus, and I seriously still do not understand this, Fairy Tail is the ONLY show, the only one, where people actively complain about that.
    Dude. Fairy tail had a guy that destroys anyone that ever ******. And he had tentacles, for virgins, to ensure first condition was complete. They had demonic captain Orgasmo.
    Last edited by -D-; 2019-10-12 at 02:39 AM.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Fairy Tail appears a lot worse because the major long-running shonen shows don't actually have a lot of fanservice.

DBZ has basically none, from what I recall. That may be due to me watching it on Toonami, but I don't recall there being very much.

Naruto has a little bit in filler, but once again we see very little while the plot is going on.

Bleach had a handful of fanservicey scenes (the one with Orihime and Rangiku comes to mind) and had some fanservice in the costume department - most notably Neliel and Halibel.

Hunter X Hunter barely has any female characters, let alone fanservice. The fanservice we do get is all male, and generally pretty damn creepy at that. The only major case of female fanservice I can think of is that one Chimera Ant that declared herself queen. Oh, and I guess we see Shizuka in her very modest and practical underwear in that arc too.

Someone else would have to inform me with regards to One Piece.

My Hero Academia has a fairly modest amount of fanservice. The costumes are sexy, and this is brought up from time to time. Outside of resident pervert Mineta though, there again aren't a lot of the "fanservice antics" that always irritate me.

Fairy Tail meanwhile had oodles of fanservice. I wasn't sure if it was outside the norm for anime in general, so I looked at the show's page on TvTropes and it's...pretty heavy. Lisanna and Natsu handcuffed naked in a prison cell together is just one of the examples linked to, and that alone goes way beyond anything the other shows have depicted. I read a bit further from there to see how bad it got, and we have Erza chained and naked while getting tortured and Mirajane naked and held in a glass tube by tentacles.

If I didn't know better, I would assume I was reading a hentai manga. Granted, manga is allowed to be lewder than anime, but I've never heard of similar scenes being cut from the series I previously mentioned.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    If I didn't know better, I would assume I was reading a hentai manga. Granted, manga is allowed to be lewder than anime, but I've never heard of similar scenes being cut from the series I previously mentioned.
    I see another convert to "I can't believe it's not Hentai™".

Fairy Tail is lewder than Hellsing. And Hellsing is written/drawn by an actual ex-Hentai mangaka.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    I see another convert to "I can't believe it's not Hentai™".

Fairy Tail is lewder than Hellsing. And Hellsing is written/drawn by an actual ex-Hentai mangaka.
    You hold on just a damn minute there.

Fairy Tail for all its fan-service is very much on the light and cheesecake-y side of things because it lacks the direction to make it anything more than just light fan service that sometimes gets a bit 'edgy'.

Hellsing had girls figuring out they may like other girls from Seras licking blood off Integra's finger, people questioning why they found Rip Van Winkle getting impaled through the chest with a rifle oddly erotic, and enough handsome male designs that it fueled a Yaoi Reactor for what seems like years because there IS sexual tension between all involved. All of this despite the fact any scene with actual nudity is fairly horrific and otherwise the only overly sexual thing is Seras' chest size. Plus..just Integara Fairbrook Windgates Hellsing. Just....all of her.

Hellsing is more lewd than Fairytail by far. And that's without a single panel of overt fan service as opposed to Fairy Tail's chapters worth of fan service designs and panels. That is the difference between being lewd and trying to be lewd and I'll thank you to remember that.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2019-10-12 at 11:30 AM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

6. - Top - End - #636
    Bugbear in the Playground

I finished watching Girls' Last Tour yesterday. I have failed to embrace the hopelessness, so now I am sad.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Orc in the Playground

@gridman ep 3

Spoiler
    Show
    That whole emotional bout was so unearned...

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gridman's third episode is weird and not very good. It feels like something that should have taken multiple episodes but at the same time, I'm glad it didn't. Maybe it's a reference to some tokusatsu thing I'm not familiar with.

At least it introduces the series' most enjoyable character group.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Gridman's third episode is weird and not very good. It feels like something that should have taken multiple episodes but at the same time, I'm glad it didn't. Maybe it's a reference to some tokusatsu thing I'm not familiar with.

At least it introduces the series' most enjoyable character group.
    should've waited till the characters had a more established relationship. I have no idea what all that was for.

...sigh

besides setting up the crew, for the cool entrance, but surely there was a better way of doing that.

the transformations feel like they are paying some sort of homage (like to power rangers or something).

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Fairy Tail for all its fan-service is very much on the light and cheesecake-y side of things because it lacks the direction to make it anything more than just light fan service that sometimes gets a bit 'edgy'.

Hellsing had ...
    Let me stop you there. Maybe Lewd isn't the right term, and granted some scenes in Hellsing were pretty on the fetish side.

But how community responds to material usually has nothing to do with its lewdness. Otherwise, we must accept My Little Pony and the Sonic the Hedgehog games as lewdness incarante.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've watched maybe a total of like 4 random episodes of Sailor Moon. I have a question about it. I'll put it in spoilers, but I don't know why I'm doing it with such an old anime/manga, but I like to err on the side of caution.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Chibiusa Usagi's daughter but from the future? I think I heard that somewhere and just want someone to corroborate that or dismiss it as hearsay.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    I've watched maybe a total of like 4 random episodes of Sailor Moon. I have a question about it. I'll put it in spoilers, but I don't know why I'm doing it with such an old anime/manga, but I like to err on the side of caution.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Chibiusa Usagi's daughter but from the future? I think I heard that somewhere and just want someone to corroborate that or dismiss it as hearsay.
    Yes.

Also thank you -D- for pointing out the man who makes you orgasm to death if you've ever had sex in Fairy Tail, more people need to know this is a thing that they put into the story on purpose.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Also thank you -D- for pointing out the man who makes you orgasm to death if you've ever had sex in Fairy Tail, more people need to know this is a thing that they put into the story on purpose.
    Sounds like a job for Barbarella.

Boruto is looking like it's going to get interesting again. A very funny episode about the adults trying to portray a G-rated version of Jiraiya while not discussing Make-out Tactics got some good laughs from me, and a time travel story where Boruto is going to get to meet kid Naruto. It's a premise that could either be amazing or awful, but the relationship between Boruto and Naruto has been one of the consistently good storytelling parts of the show so far. I'm hopeful.

It also looks like we're getting more adult Sasuke, which is always a plus. He's so much better written here than he ever was in the parent series.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't mention it.

No. Really, don't mention it. I want to talk about Demon Slayer or Berserk or Battle Shonen tropes.

The only reason I mentioned it, is that some person said "Fairy Tail" didn't have awful sexualization. And we both know I was going easy on it. I think I remember you having a visceral reaction to one of Zeref's paramours. Although I could be wrong, about that person being you. It could have also been some frequent forum poster.

Let's not talk about Fairy Tail. It's an awful manga. Like, Bleach is repetitive and boring an repetitive and UnlockYourHiddenPower and repetitive and PowerEscalationOnDrugs.
    But Fairy Tail is basically Vulgar Trash. Things like Demonic Orgasmo are dime a dozen in it.

Anyone here read DBZ Super? How about that Moro chap?
    Last edited by -D-; 2019-10-15 at 04:30 PM.

15. - Top - End - #645

Don't mention it.

No. Really, don't mention it. I want to talk about Demon Slayer or Berserk or Battle Shonen tropes.

The only reason I mentioned it, is that some person said "Fairy Tail" didn't have awful sexualization. And we both know I was going easy on it. I think I remember you having a visceral reaction to one of Zeref's paramours. Although I could be wrong, about that person being you. It could have also been some frequent forum poster.

Let's not talk about Fairy Tail. It's an awful manga. Like, Bleach is repetitive and boring an repetitive and UnlockYourHiddenPower and repetitive and IhavePowerToRewriteReality.
    But Fairy Tail is basically Vulgar Trash. Things like Demonic Orgasmo are dime a dozen in it.

Anyone here read DBZ Super? How about that Moro chap?
    It was me yes, the person very annoyed they decided to have a plot point that a woman cursed to have a 12 year old body boinked a guy with a 14 year old body curse and carried a baby to term. That's horrifying.

Fairy Tail does a lot of things bad, and it does so very impressively. There's a scene where Erza gets aged down so that her shirt is big enough to be a full body dress and her only clothing, and she decided to look at her privates for basically no reason at all.

I haven't read DBZ Super sadly. I've heard it's pretty good all things considered.

Also, I've been watching Kaguya: Love Is War. And I'm pretty sure this is one of the best comedy series of all time. Cat ears + Girl = ULTIMATE MARRIAGE COMBINATION!

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

You can say whatever you want about Fairy Tail but one thing for sure, dont trash the music. It was how I discovered pegan metal

As for my favorite aimes... I havent discovered a new one that I like recently. Too busy I guess with RL.

Since Lovely Complex, I would be down for a good love comedy however

17. - Top - End - #647

Yes.
    So she's the Future Trunks of the Sailor Moon frachise?

18. - Top - End - #648

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    You can say whatever you want about Fairy Tail but one thing for sure, dont trash the music. It was how I discovered pegan metal

As for my favorite aimes... I havent discovered a new one that I like recently. Too busy I guess with RL.

Kaguya-Sama: Love is War. It's an amazing love comedy.

So she's the Future Trunks of the Sailor Moon frachise?
    In every single way you could possibly mean by this statement: yes.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-15 at 05:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #649

In every single way you could possibly mean by this statement: yes.
    So did she have a mentor who lost an arm to androids?

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Fairy Tail does a lot of things bad, and it does so very impressively. There's a scene...
    Me IRL:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5jY6EPf5MHQ

Also, I've been watching Kaguya: Love Is War. And I'm pretty sure this is one of the best comedy series of all time. Cat ears + Girl = ULTIMATE MARRIAGE COMBINATION!
    That is the thing with Chika dance at the end?
    I've heard great things, but I don't generally watch romantic comedies. It's on my to watch list with like a billion different anime/manga. One big exception is Konosuba, but I don't think it's romantic.

Also Girl Cat >>> Cat Girl. So watch My Roommate is a Cat. It's heartwarming and just aww.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Yes.

Wow. that might just be the most ineffective power in shonen anime: no one has sex in those, and there is no way that people would actually allow an actual tentacle hentai scene to play out in an anime like Fairy Tail, so that guy would basically be consigned to realms of uselessness on par with Tenten.

but thats basically what happens to all instant-death powers in those: you can't just introduce resurrections willy-nilly for this unless your Dragon Ball Z, you can't make the protagonists too smart for the genre, and you can't kill off anyone remotely marketable or likable, so while I agree with the power being horrible in principle, I doubt that it killed a single character anyone ever cared about, if anyone at all.

*figured out who this guy is and checks his history in the story on the wiki*:
    Yeah, he pretty much does nothing important. despite who he is. I was completely right, he kills no one important. the character themselves wears a cross on their back, dresses like a monk and is meditative though, so it seems like that its less that this character is perverse, and more that he is some monk taking advantage of others attachments and worldly desires, because his other powers are to induce extreme hunger or to put people into an eternal sleep- the most basic animal primal things that control us. so its more like a monk shaming you for being controlled by pleasure, its horrible in a completely reversed way than one might think. how dare he attempt to kill people for having sex, people are allowed to enjoy whatever they want as long its not harmful to others, it may not always be healthy but they are still allowed.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-10-15 at 05:31 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Wow. that might just be the most ineffective power in shonen anime: no one has sex in those,
    Nah. He lost because he was side mook. In Shonen villains are ineffectual, unless its to show things are really dire. And even then it's usually the main bad guy?

Did Zeref kill anyone important? Even Acno killed mostly dragons.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

Nah. He lost because he was side mook. In Shonen villains are ineffectual, unless its to show things are really dire. And even then it's usually the main bad guy?

Did Zeref kill anyone important? Even Acno killed mostly dragons.
    Well yeah, its always the side mooks who get the instant kill powers. how else would you make such powers irrelevant? main villain always need to have the raw power thing that doesn't insta-kill or do any interesting tricks but just powers them up to incredible levels so that everyone lives through teaming up to defeat them.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It was me yes, the person very annoyed they decided to have a plot point that a woman cursed to have a 12 year old body boinked a guy with a 14 year old body curse and carried a baby to term. That's horrifying.

Fairy Tail does a lot of things bad, and it does so very impressively. There's a scene where Erza gets aged down so that her shirt is big enough to be a full body dress and her only clothing, and she decided to look at her privates for basically no reason at all.

I haven't read DBZ Super sadly. I've heard it's pretty good all things considered.

I... What? I quit after the time skip, who had a kid with who now?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

25. - Top - End - #655

Me IRL:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5jY6EPf5MHQ

That is the thing with Chika dance at the end?
    I've heard great things, but I don't generally watch romantic comedies. It's on my to watch list with like a billion different anime/manga. One big exception is Konosuba, but I don't think it's romantic.

Also Girl Cat >>> Cat Girl. So watch My Roommate is a Cat. It's heartwarming and just aww.
    Yes. Chika is best.

Love is War is a romantic comedy I'd highly recommend because it's an atypical romance. Each character is in love, and almos certainly knows the other is as well... but want to force the other to confess because in their high strung rich-folk society, "the one who falls in love first loses". It's a power play. But the secret is they're both huge ****ing goobers and it's wonderful.

So did she have a mentor who lost an arm to androids?
    Yeah probably. I guess Beryl's forces are like robots cause they're rock people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Wow. that might just be the most ineffective power in shonen anime: no one has sex in those, and there is no way that people would actually allow an actual tentacle hentai scene to play out in an anime like Fairy Tail, so that guy would basically be consigned to realms of uselessness on par with Tenten.

but thats basically what happens to all instant-death powers in those: you can't just introduce resurrections willy-nilly for this unless your Dragon Ball Z, you can't make the protagonists too smart for the genre, and you can't kill off anyone remotely marketable or likable, so while I agree with the power being horrible in principle, I doubt that it killed a single character anyone ever cared about, if anyone at all.

*figured out who this guy is and checks his history in the story on the wiki*:
    Yeah, he pretty much does nothing important. despite who he is. I was completely right, he kills no one important. the character themselves wears a cross on their back, dresses like a monk and is meditative though, so it seems like that its less that this character is perverse, and more that he is some monk taking advantage of others attachments and worldly desires, because his other powers are to induce extreme hunger or to put people into an eternal sleep- the most basic animal primal things that control us. so its more like a monk shaming you for being controlled by pleasure, its horrible in a completely reversed way than one might think. how dare he attempt to kill people for having sex, people are allowed to enjoy whatever they want as long its not harmful to others, it may not always be healthy but they are still allowed.
    Fairy Tail's one good part is that it's relationships and romances actually progress and it's characters, for the most part, act like real people with regards to them. So a lot of characters have ****ed, and it almost kills nearly the entire main cast.

You must understand the tentacles of love and light do actually kill you via strangulation. It's just that their touch also brings orgasm.

The only reason this guy stopped using this power is because it would have killed the villain as well, who ordered him to stop because it was killing him as well.

His character is actually pretty preverse given he focuses on that particular sense as opposed to his others. Also him not having killed anyone is irrelevant because regardless of how effective as a villain he was in a mechanical sense, story wise our heroes still have to fight him and he took up a large amount of screen time. He's important in that he was something the creator decided to throw at us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I... What? I quit after the time skip, who had a kid with who now?
    I'll elaborate more later but yeah up to the time skip Fairy Tail is just kinda regular bad.

Long story sort Mavis, the shoeless girl who saved everyone is a mother despite looking 12 years old (and being biologically twelve due to a magic curse).
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-15 at 05:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #656

Spoiler: Madoka Magica spoilers
    Show
    I always thought this was magical girl Future Trunks:

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Fairy Tail's one good part is that it's relationships and romances actually progress and it's characters, for the most part, act like real people with regards to them. So a lot of characters have ****ed, and it almost kills nearly the entire main cast.

You must understand the tentacles of love and light do actually kill you via strangulation. It's just that their touch also brings orgasm.

The only reason this guy stopped using this power is because it would have killed the villain as well, who ordered him to stop because it was killing him as well.

His character is actually pretty preverse given he focuses on that particular sense as opposed to his others. Also him not having killed anyone is irrelevant because regardless of how effective as a villain he was in a mechanical sense, story wise our heroes still have to fight him and he took up a large amount of screen time. He's important in that he was something the creator decided to throw at us.
    Okay, but thats still less horrible than what I was expecting.

I was expecting some over top Mineta-esque character whose tentacles would be a lot fleshier, their personality a lot thirstier and their dialogue would consist of "ERMAHGERD WOMENS!" every two seconds, because thats every stereotypical anime perverts thing, they freak out about women merely existing and them being in their presence. and everyone just laughs off the character being that character being so thirsty that they are perverse at literally almost every woman they meet. and for them to be foiled by everyone being virgins.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Madoka Magica spoilers
    Show
    I always thought this was magical girl Future Trunks:

Spoiler
    Show
    Nah, that's magical girl Shirou Kanzaki.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't read it.

Watch it. Super's manga makes anti-sense, which is pretty impressive and turns already 'divide the fanbse in two' moments over if its good or bad into outright bad.

Admittedly, now that its doing its own thing with the Moro stuff, maybe the quality has improved but ehhh...dunno.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post

Mayo Chiki. It's not a harem as listed in the genre tags, and unfortunately it only covers half the manga, though it ends at a decent point. Guy is afraid to be touched by girls due to his professional wrestler mother "practicing" on him. Girl is a butler to a family and has to keep her gender a secret. Also largely not ecchi either, there is one notable scene with boobs in it.

B Gata H Kei is downright hilarious. It focuses more on the comedy than any kind of emotional development between Yamada and Kousuda. So depending on which side of the bar you're more interested in might depend on whether you like it or not.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie is a nice short story, but features adults playing an MMO together, unaware of who they are. Lotta relateability with Morioka for me.

Okami-san and Her Seven Companions has an extremely shy guy pining after taller Taiga. I think it's fairly unique since the confession happens early on, and winning her over is part of the plot.

Sakura Trick is pretty fun for a yuri show, in a genre where a lot are much more serious.

ReLIFE of course, though the romance aspect is much slower building and focuses more on the lives of the characters moving forward.

Working (Wagnaria) is a great workplace comedy, with three seasons and a "movie", covering an entire story. Romance here is super slow and doesn't really kick up until later, but it's really fun all the way through.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2019-10-15 at 11:18 PM.