New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

Honestly, aside from Jojo, Yugioh, DBZ and Hellsing (the latter of which went a little try-hard on some of it's jokes) I can't even remotely stand abridged series. I've ricocheted off them like a rubber bullet. I think part of it is that they seem to not understand what the term "abridged" means. It means... shortened. As in not longer than the original. I also feel like every abridged series should, even for a bad series, speak to what good is in it (even garbage like SAO) and sort of... I don't know, embrace the series for all it's positives and flaws? I feel like there should be some degree of love present in the series, otherwise it starts to feel kinda meanspirited. I think DBZ and Yugioh probably did that the best, with Jojo a close second and Hellsing being... a little too far.

Also it should really tell you something that of the Abridged series I like, all but one of them are made by the same team.
    I agree with the sentiment, and I remember Teamfourstar members saying in a stream they won't do GT, because many of them just don't really like it. I didn't any feeling of meanspritedness from Hellsing though. I'd read the manga a bit before, and the abridged inspired me to watch the OVAs.

Yugioh abridged didn't really get me into watching the show proper, though maybe if I was younger I would have. I did read the first the couple volumes of the manga after watching Season Zero Abridged when I got the chance, it seemed pretty interesting.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post
    I agree with the sentiment, and I remember Teamfourstar members saying in a stream they won't do GT, because many of them just don't really like it. I didn't any feeling of meanspritedness from Hellsing though. I'd read the manga a bit before, and the abridged inspired me to watch the OVAs.

Yugioh abridged didn't really get me into watching the show proper, though maybe if I was younger I would have. I did read the first the couple volumes of the manga after watching Season Zero Abridged when I got the chance, it seemed pretty interesting.
    There was a little bit of mean spiritedness in Hellsing, but that felt less directed at the show and more going just a touch too far with some of the jokes. I don't know, I was watching it with a friend of some the black humour got a bit too much. In this case it's like they're trying to emphasize Hellsing as this shock-comedy style thing, when it's really got a lot of lighthearted joking around and stuff (even in the horrifying finale). So in a sense that comes off as... wrong, for the series I guess? I don't know, I'm just blathering.

Also to be quite honest you don't need to abridge GX it does it it own damn self, just look at the dinosaur dude and his dinosaur bone that is in his leg to make him half dinosaur man. The sub is more serious of course, and it unironically gets to a point where it's probably the best Yugioh has ever been, whereas the Dub didn't do the final arc and is far more goofy.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Ignoring the happy ending edit there, I do love how being an anime fan is so recursive. That exact sentence could be said about a lot of anime *glares at Mon-Colle Knights menacingly*.

Honestly, aside from Jojo, Yugioh, DBZ and Hellsing (the latter of which went a little try-hard on some of it's jokes) I can't even remotely stand abridged series. I've ricocheted off them like a rubber bullet. I think part of it is that they seem to not understand what the term "abridged" means. It means... shortened. As in not longer than the original. I also feel like every abridged series should, even for a bad series, speak to what good is in it (even garbage like SAO) and sort of... I don't know, embrace the series for all it's positives and flaws? I feel like there should be some degree of love present in the series, otherwise it starts to feel kinda meanspirited. I think DBZ and Yugioh probably did that the best, with Jojo a close second and Hellsing being... a little too far.

Also it should really tell you something that of the Abridged series I like, all but one of them are made by the same team.
    Yeah pretty much my view of things to. parodies of anything that are too mean spirited just don't work.

most abridged series are just a bunch of random bad jokes with no real effort put into them with anime footage playing. 90% of everything in media is garbage and abridged series is a smaller pool of art style than most. it wouldn't surprise me if we've already the gotten the best we'll ever get from it. given the ever increasing efforts of companies to stamp out anything that looks vaguely like piracy, it won't surprise me if abridged series simply die out for less risky forms of entertainment. I'd argue its already happening.

though I guess If The Emperor Had a Text To Speech Device would count as an abridged series if WH40k had a series to abridge, but it doesn't so I don't even know what it is, I guess its a fan parody series

"I'm a marvel and I'm a DC" is also a fan parody series of a similar vein to an abridged series that has been producing stuff again.

yeah I think abridged series in its original form won't stick around, but the spirit of fan parodies will continue to live in various forms. though some things aren't even parodies, if any of you are fans of chrono trigger/undertale and musicals check out Man on the Internet. they do some fantastic songs, of those two and other songs on the side.

also there is a Jojo Abridged and its made by a member of Teamfourstar?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    "I'm a marvel and I'm a DC" is also a fan parody series of a similar vein to an abridged series that has been producing stuff again.
    Holy smokes I feel old seeing that mentioned. It was twelve freaking years ago when that started???
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yeah pretty much my view of things to. parodies of anything that are too mean spirited just don't work.

most abridged series are just a bunch of random bad jokes with no real effort put into them with anime footage playing. 90% of everything in media is garbage and abridged series is a smaller pool of art style than most. it wouldn't surprise me if we've already the gotten the best we'll ever get from it. given the ever increasing efforts of companies to stamp out anything that looks vaguely like piracy, it won't surprise me if abridged series simply die out for less risky forms of entertainment. I'd argue its already happening.

though I guess If The Emperor Had a Text To Speech Device would count as an abridged series if WH40k had a series to abridge, but it doesn't so I don't even know what it is, I guess its a fan parody series

yeah I think abridged series in its original form won't stick around, but the spirit of fan parodies will continue to live in various forms. though some things aren't even parodies, if any of you are fans of chrono trigger/undertale and musicals check out Man on the Internet. they do some fantastic songs, of those two and other songs on the side.

also there is a Jojo Abridged and its made by a member of Teamfourstar?
    I should clarify that I feel some of the jokes in Hellsing Abridged were mean spirited due to taking the series darker than even it needed to. I don't think Hellsing Ultimate itself is mean spirited (in so far as you can use the term given the concept of the series) and think it actually goes to some goofy, nice places that stop it from being utterly grimdark. Hellsing Abridged dips a bit too darkly for my tastes.

Antfish did the Jojo abridged for parts 1, 2, and 3. I don't know if he ever did it for four, or if he'll do it for five. I don't know if Antfish is attached to Teamfourstar in any way since I know nothing about people.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the first episode of Cop Craft.

Does anyone know if it will be one or two cours?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the answer to that question is "No". It's listed with "unknown number of episodes" everywhere. My money would be on one cour, especially after looking at the studio that's doing it. It's recently established and doesn't have the most shining track record - it includes the 2016 Berserk adaptation, a known trainwreck, and everything else is one cour. (Well, not Teekyuu, but that has two minute episodes.) That being said, there's nothing to indicate that the director isn't perfectly competent as long as there's a minimal amount of CGI involved. Cop Craft has certainly had a good first episode.

Anyway, Gatoh couldn't prevent Invisible Victory from being one cour, despite it rushing through multiple light novels at breakneck speed - would be a little odd to get that double the episodes for an unproven property, especially since light novel adaptations are usually made to help sell the light novel. Never read the Cop Craft light novels, though, so your guess is as good as mine.

In other news, I've added another show to watch - there's a ton of them now: Machikado Mazoku, the show about the girl who wakes up one day to learn that she's the descendant of a clan of devils and her purpose is to fight the good guys. It's got a fairly unusual style that I enjoy overall, even if it's at least partially used to keep the budget down. Since the talk was of abridged series - this show is an affectionate parody of the magical girl genre, as far as I can tell, and I love the "antagonist" - the good magical girl, who it turns out saved the world six years ago and apparently has been struggling with a lack of purpose, loneliness and depression ever since (think Saitama - she's that kind of OP), and seems low-key super happy to be the center of Yuko's attention, even if Yuko is technically trying to drain her blood and use it to break the curse on a demonic statue (that her family has been using as a door stop). Among other things, the show answers the question of why villains never interrupt the magical girl transformation by including a timer in the bottom right that clarifies it takes exactly 0.01 seconds to complete. If you look closely, you can tell that the accessory that is used to trigger the transformation of the "good" magical girl - some kind of jewelry case - is being used to store hairclips, screws and a 500 yen coin. I could go on. It's a show that I didn't realize is exactly what I wanted - I love tongue-in-cheek takes on the magical girl genre.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2019-07-11 at 10:33 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't get into those deep psychological magical girl shows, but I like the ones that aren't all that serious. Hina Logi, Leviathan: The Last Defense. Similarly, I like these fantasy shows that do the same. Last time it was Endro. This time it's Machikado Mazoku. First ok was ok, though it wasn't quite as funny to me as I had hoped. I do like the idea of a magical girl and a demon becoming friends instead of fighting, which is sort of how Endro works.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

I should clarify that I feel some of the jokes in Hellsing Abridged were mean spirited due to taking the series darker than even it needed to. I don't think Hellsing Ultimate itself is mean spirited (in so far as you can use the term given the concept of the series) and think it actually goes to some goofy, nice places that stop it from being utterly grimdark. Hellsing Abridged dips a bit too darkly for my tastes.
    I mean, Hellsing is pretty dark, with lots of violence, including rape. Of course it also has goofy moments but those don't remove the darker aspects.
    The Abridged version I guess has a tendency to go to the dark places more often {scrubbed} but I don't think it's much darker than the original. Maybe if I was to take it serious you could say it's message about humans is a bit dark but I don't feel like doing that, really.

sidenote: There used to be some good Gundam Abridged seriesbut sadly all of them died. I guess it's a very hard hobby to keep up if you have not as much success as LK or TFS.
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2019-07-16 at 01:29 AM.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

10. - Top - End - #70

New Chainsawman!

This series is ****ing stupid in the best way. What if the dumbest people in the world decided to try and be smart? I genuinely wonder what's going to come of this.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Fire Force's second episode now has me officially Interested. I was expecting a Monster-of-the-Week start for a few episodes while the show settles in, but what we got instead was...wow. If they keep up with depth like that this show has promise.

Dr. Stone meanwhile kinda disappointed me with it's second episode. It was very cliche after the interestingly off-beat first episode, and it just wasn't all that exciting.

Vinland Saga looks promising. Anyone else find it weird to watch subtitled? I ordinarily don't have any issues, but the show is so Nordic that hearing the characters speak Japanese is kind of off-putting. Not that English is a whole lot better objectively, but at least I'm used to that.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

New Chainsawman!

This series is ****ing stupid in the best way. What if the dumbest people in the world decided to try and be smart? I genuinely wonder what's going to come of this.
    Yeah, that was / will probably be hilarious. It really is such a weirdly enjoyable series, but I wonder who is editing this. It seems so easy to see the rough edges, like the blank backgrounds, but nobody seems to bother. Or is it intentional?

Also, goddammit, 7DS. Just stop. Please. Yes, you can draw fancy fights scenes. But... This chapter was worth like three pages of actual content.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yeah, that was / will probably be hilarious. It really is such a weirdly enjoyable series, but I wonder who is editing this. It seems so easy to see the rough edges, like the blank backgrounds, but nobody seems to bother. Or is it intentional?

Also, goddammit, 7DS. Just stop. Please. Yes, you can draw fancy fights scenes. But... This chapter was worth like three pages of actual content.
    It feels intentional, since it only pops up in certain spots.

God I forgot to check if Yugioh updated so I can read 18 more pages of absolute genuine nonsense.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Vinland Saga looks promising. Anyone else find it weird to watch subtitled? I ordinarily don't have any issues, but the show is so Nordic that hearing the characters speak Japanese is kind of off-putting. Not that English is a whole lot better objectively, but at least I'm used to that.
    Honestly, I'm kinda tuning out the dialogue because yeah, having read the manga, hearing all the Norse names in Japanese is a little weird.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Dr. Stone meanwhile kinda disappointed me with it's second episode. It was very cliche after the interestingly off-beat first episode, and it just wasn't all that exciting.
    Dr. Stone is a series that...morphs, let's say. Without spoiling anything the early parts of the series are basically completely different than the actual series, and serve primarily just to establish the world, characters, and general premise.

Stick with it; you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

It's kinda wonky, yeah, but I've been too hyped for too long to wait for the dub. The series is one of my all time favorites.

I like that they decided to reshuffle the early parts. These bits used to be a big flashback arc to finally contextualize the plot at the start of the series, but they just work so much better as the lead in. Similar to how Berserk should have just started with the Golden Age instead of the Black Swordsman arc.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the buildup is markedly different but very improved. It's interesting to watch the contextualization being given to, say, Askeladd. What I really dig is that the opening now underscores the key themes of the manga and slowly builds into them, instead of having them fleshed out after a stereotypical shounen-style opening chapter.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. stone is pretty dry when it comes to excitement.

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really liked Dr. Stone's first episode.
    Since, in a different anime, it could have easily been turned into an entire season.

But yeah, the second episode felt completely different than the first.
    So it'll be fun to see where it goes.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Finished gantz and yeah... i can see why it's hated.

Though i can't help but notice the thin line between this and say something like evangelion. The difference being that the latter "worked".

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    Finished gantz and yeah... i can see why it's hated.

Though i can't help but notice the thin line between this and say something like evangelion. The difference being that the latter "worked".
    It's not even that it's a downer ending, it's that it's a sucky ending on top of it.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It's not even that it's a downer ending, it's that it's a sucky ending on top of it.
    Wait, are we talking about Gantz here, or Evangelion?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Watched the next three episodes of Madoka (to episode six).

Things to take away:

Ye gods, poor Homura. Watching this and knowing what she going through, just... Ouch. (Expecially Madoka's "I'll always remember you!", Ooof.) She is master of the sick burns, though, hahaha!

Madoka's mum is terrible at being a mum, I mean, seriously.

Yeah, being a phylactery bound Lich is definitely inferior to be Spirit-Bound girls. (I'd sort of forgtten that.) But, hey, I'll take a show about Magical Liches any day of the week! I mean, of all the places I finally get some sort of representation, but hey, I'll take it.

(Also, this makes Homura even more aweome.)

But, most of all, [expletive] you, bunny-cat.

[EXPLETIVE]. YOU. Bunny-cat.

Just.

Wow.

Everything about that thing just makes me want to grab it by the conceptual essense, squeeze it until its soul-skull shatters and then repeatedly. Pound. The. Leaking. Mass. Into a meta-casual reality wall again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again until its thrashing, helpless screams echo across all of every reality.

It offends me on level I can't adequately fathom.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-07-16 at 07:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

I guess i was spot on about that thin line. lol

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

I still find it so weird that Japanese watchers in general were surprised that Kyubey was the "villain." That thing set off a thousand horror movie tropes whenever it sneezed in the girl's general direction.

It must be the inherent trust in cute things that overshadowed the "I found this thing in a dark, under-construction section of a mall."
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-07-16 at 07:57 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

25. - Top - End - #85

Gantz.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Ye gods, poor Homura. Watching this and knowing what she going through, just... Ouch. (Expecially Madoka's "I'll always remember you!", Ooof.) She is master of the sick burns, though, hahaha!

Madoka's mum is terrible at being a mum, I mean, seriously.

Yeah, being a phylactery bound Lich is definitely inferior to be Spirit-Bound girls. (I'd sort of forgtten that.) But, hey, I'll take a show about Magical Liches any day of the week! I mean, of all the places I finally get some sort of representation, but hey, I'll take it.

Homura is the best and deserves nothing bad to happen to her ever.

Magical Lich Girls is probably my favorite twists of the twists, beyond the initial Big One.

Bunny-cat's a ****.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    I still find it so weird that Japanese watchers in general were surprised that Kyubey was the "villain." That thing set off a thousand horror movie tropes whenever it sneezed in the girl's general direction.

It must be the inherent trust in cute things that overshadowed the "I found this thing in a dark, under-construction section of a mall."
    "Form a contract with me" isn't an inherently ominous thing in Japan as it is in America.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

"Form a contract with me" isn't an inherently ominous thing in Japan as it is in America.
    One would think that all the animes/mangas where the initial "form a contract with me" has terrible repercussions down the line would wise them up.

Related, anybody checked the Puella Magi Tart Magica spin-off manga?

Spoiler
    Show

Aka the one who covers Jean de Arc's life as a magical girl.

More interesting bit for me is that the big bad is a magical girl who who was already a smart, ruthless and amibitious person before so when offered the "form a contract with me" bit she first questioned the hell out of past Kyubey about the whole magic girl business and then wished to get all of Kyubey's abilities and knowledge so she could mass-produce her own army of magical girls. Leading to past Kyubey himself going "oh crap what have I done" as the big bad started monopolizing not only magical girl recruitment but also witch hunting so she got the spiritual energy all for herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose now that I know what I know, I have to unrecommend "If It's for My Daughter etc". There's a chance whoever's making it will take their cues from the Usagi Drop anime director and just stop before it gets weird, but it's safest to wait.

What's the appeal of this wife husbandry nonsense? Not that I know what exact course they're taking with this particular story to try and justify it, but I'm not exactly keen on finding out, either. I've read the Usagi Drop manga - I've done my time.

Maybe this is part of what I enjoy about Hinamatsuri. It has an adolescent girl being taken care of by a single adult man, and at no point does even a shred of romance develop between them, ever. It's so easy to take things like that for granted.

In a weird twist, the Okaa-san Online anime appears to just be a comedy that feeds off its premise for humorous purposes, much like Uzamaid did, so the odds of me watching it have gone up. Funny how that works.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2019-07-17 at 03:47 AM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    One would think that all the animes/mangas where the initial "form a contract with me" has terrible repercussions down the line would wise them up.
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2019-07-17 at 08:02 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Again, I mistrusted Kyubey from the start based solely upon the setting in which Marika forst met him. The idea that cutesiness can overpower that is what's really shocking to me.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    But, most of all, [expletive] you, bunny-cat.

Bunny-cat's a ****.
    What's wrong with bunny-cats?
    Last edited by BWR; 2019-07-17 at 06:49 AM.