New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 112627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1371
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

I liked Megalo Box, but it's just not the same.

Megalo Box was a very good character story and a very bad sports anime, IMHO. The fights were minimalist, barely animated, and ended with pretty much no fanfare across the board, in part because the fights themselves didn't actually matter.

I'll watch season 2, but it's a very different beast than what I'm looking for.

The Kaiji stuff sounds promising though. I hadn't heard about the new live action movie; both other seasons were tie-ins to those so that's big news.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I liked Megalo Box, but it's just not the same.

Megalo Box was a very good character story and a very bad sports anime, IMHO. The fights were minimalist, barely animated, and ended with pretty much no fanfare across the board, in part because the fights themselves didn't actually matter.

I'll watch season 2, but it's a very different beast than what I'm looking for.

The Kaiji stuff sounds promising though. I hadn't heard about the new live action movie; both other seasons were tie-ins to those so that's big news.
    Yea, Megalo Box was much more of a character study then a sports anime, more then anything else it makes me think of Frank Sinatra Has a Cold. Because we never once really get any kind of real internal thought or narrative from Joe or really get his direct thoughts. Everything gets filtered through other peoples perceptions and reactions and the ways his actions affect them and we get to see the shape of him almost entirely through others.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Orc in the Playground

So I just watched Anohana, and that ending song is a goddamn weapon. I seriously think that about 1/3 of the emotion in the series comes from the ending song and how it's merged into each episode.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ogre in the Playground

Not sure if anyone recommended No Guns Life, but it's a gem. A gritty noir detective story about a guy with a gun for the head. The fact that his chibi reminds me of Alphonse Elric is just a cherry on top of the awesome cake.
    Last edited by -D-; 2020-03-01 at 04:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Not sure if anyone recommended No Guns Life, but it's a gem. A gritty noir detective story about guy with a gun for a head. The fact that his chibi reminds me of Alphonse Elric is just a cherry.
    Yes, I enjoyed that one as well. There is apparently going to be a second season too. It was hard to tell how much of it is hard drawn, CG, or roto-scoped over a 3D model, but it earned that Unreal Engine mention in the credits from somewhere.

Scratching the same itch this season is ID: Invaded. Less noir, more mystery, and the art isn't as good, but the story is getting really interesting.
    Last edited by Excession; 2020-02-29 at 06:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ettin in the Playground

*ahem*

GET HYPE Y'ALL
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2020-03-01 at 03:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1057

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    GET HYPE Y'ALL
    I don't even know what that is, and I'm still a bit hyped.

Then there's this. Studio Trigger hype.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

*ahem*

GET HYPE Y'ALL
    I kind of worry after the first few arcs this is going to have trouble when the squad is in multiple teams in multiple places working for multiple sides.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Colossus in the Playground

*ahem*

GET HYPE Y'ALL
    I've been screaming since that trailer came out!

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Tower of God Was a manga before becoming a anime? Same as Brand New Animal?

Im not sure where the hype come from with the trailer alone...

11. - Top - End - #1061

Tower of god is a long running manga (well a south korean webtoon ), yes. The other one is anime original and I think Excession is just a fan of studio Trigger.

12. - Top - End - #1062

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post

Tower of God started as a South Korean webtoon. Seems like it was rather popular.

For BNA my hype is just that it is made by Studio Trigger. I have liked everything else of theirs that I have watched.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Troll in the Playground

It's a Webtoon. Like a webcomic but drawn to be read like a single long scroll. I knew it was coming out some time this year but I had no idea it was so soon. I cannot wait for
    Spoiler: MASSIVE BOOK ONE SPOILERS
    Show
    Spoiler: NO REALLY THIS IS BIG
    Show
    the ****show of new watchers not aware of what a monster she is arguing about Bam chasing Rachel.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

14. - Top - End - #1064

It's hard to explain, but Tower of God is just... really well executed. Seeing it beautifully animated is just going to make it that much grander.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    It's a Webtoon. Like a webcomic but drawn to be read like a single long scroll. I knew it was coming out some time this year but I had no idea it was so soon. I cannot wait for
    Show
    Show
    the ****show of new watchers not aware of what a monster she is arguing about Bam chasing Rachel.
    I admitidly don't remember much of the manhua since I stopped reading after a point due to just falling off of it, but I'm gonna be honest, the thing, the REAL thing, I'm the most hype about for Tower of God becoming more main stream is... we're going to be seeing a LOT of fan art for one character in particular.

No one, no one who follows fan artists, is ready for the unending deluge of Rak Wraithraiser fan art that will be born from this show becoming mainstream. And I am prepared to inject it straight into my veins.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Titan in the Playground

It's too bad Rak doesn't get to DO much later on.

TBH I think the series takes a sharp dip in quality after the first major arc, and I completely fell off of it after
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Train arc

But man, just the chance to see this first arc animated is really all I need. I'm kind of interested to see the Noblesse anime too, though I don't see it lasting very long overall once peoples' expectations from hearing the premise clash with what the series is actually like for most of it.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Show
    Show
    I don't remember what you're talking about?

You mean when Bam is fighting the big eel on the first floor?

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground

TBH I think the series takes a sharp dip in quality after the first major arc, and I completely fell off of it after
    Yeah i also think it took a fairly sharp dive at the end of book 2 or 3.
    As so many other South Korean works, and for that matter also a lot of manga, then i think it lost control over its scaling.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    I don't remember what you're talking about?

You mean when Bam is fighting the big eel on the first floor?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not just her pushing him out of sheer jealousy, after that. Farther on in the story when you start to get more of Bam's backstory it becomes apparent that she didn't just accidentally find him alone in that cave. She sought him out, and actively groomed him for the sake of exacerbating his feelings isolation/dependence on her and may have used him to seriously hurt or kill someone before leaving for the tower. Also murdering a bunch of characters I liked and crippling the one dude out of sheer spite. No doubt, even by the standards of The Tower she is top tier evil.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2020-03-02 at 02:18 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Orc in the Playground

So... I've been trying to watch Fire Force. I know I'm late, but it looks so beautiful with the color selection and design and I have a Crunchy Roll account now.

But I'm having a really Really hard time actually getting into it. Does it get better after episode 3? The world seems really lush and interesting but... I feel like it is actively trying to make me disinterested by hiding it behind fan-service... I don't think I've ever encountered something quite like it.

thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    English: so broken, you technically cannot use it wrong.
    Grey Wolf

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground

LaZodiac and I gave it up to halfway through the season, or a bit more.

It doesn't really get better. We ended up dropping it out of disappointment.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Son of A Lich! View Post
    So... I've been trying to watch Fire Force. I know I'm late, but it looks so beautiful with the color selection and design and I have a Crunchy Roll account now.

But I'm having a really Really hard time actually getting into it. Does it get better after episode 3? The world seems really lush and interesting but... I feel like it is actively trying to make me disinterested by hiding it behind fan-service... I don't think I've ever encountered something quite like it.

thoughts?
    There was a huge hiatus between episodes 3 and 4 due to the Kyoto Animation arson incident and by the time it came back I found I wasn't anywhere near engaged/interested enough to pick it up again.

Make of that what you will.

22. - Top - End - #1072

Quote Originally Posted by Son of A Lich! View Post

thoughts?
    It never stops being exactly what it looks like. Every cool moment is accompanied by two instances of some of the worst fanservice I've seen in a series in recent memory. It is, tragically, not worth the watch. Also it's a double long season so the fact that me and Mystic watched a little more than half of it (when for most series that would be a full run) and came away from it going "wow that was a waste of time" should really tell you something.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It reminds me of seven deadly sins, generally awful plot and characters with afew interesting ones.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Orc in the Playground

Ugh...

That's a pity. I really wanted to get into it, but it gave me no reason to doubt whether it had already peaked in it's art design.

I mean, demon-fighting Fire Fighters for the Catholic Church in Diesel Punk aesthetics sounds so cool on the surface... fox/cat girl with the super power of Tsundere driven plot armor probably was the final straw that broke my interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    English: so broken, you technically cannot use it wrong.
    Grey Wolf

25. - Top - End - #1075

There is a scene where that character walks by the protagonist as he's reaching for ketchup during lunch, and he accidentally takes basically her entire outfit off.

Series bad.

26. - Top - End - #1076

Eizouken epi 10:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I think you might have what it takes to be a teacher, president" What nice plausible deniability for that insult.^^ (It is an insult in context but can't be bothered to explain the context if you haven't watched it yourself don't read spoilers!) ---- The teacher scene is imo a good representation of the kind of empty crap people with authority might say when they don't really need to make good arguments because they are making the decisions.
    Anyway still liking the show, entertaining presentation and entertaining varied characters.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2020-03-09 at 06:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Titan in the Playground

So... While preparing for this weekend's convention I happened to find something just lying around the garage of a suitable scale and appropriated it...

Spoiler: Muahahahahahahaha!
    Show

Yes, the turret logo is a bit approximate, but a) this is 144th scale, it's literally only about 2-3mm across and b) my 00000 brushes are a bit manky, probably because Dad does NOT put them back in the sleeve which keps them pointy. Neverhteless, when viewed from the appropriate distance (my super-good camera distance is actually nOT that, by miles!) it gives the right impression...

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Out of idleness I decided to search Google Images for "re zero ram"

For some reason, Google asked me if I meant "re zero rem"

And I was like...what? It came back with images of Ram, so it wasn't confused about that. Did Google...just assume that I was looking for images of Rem? Why?

Did all my accumulated search data and algorithms cause Google to think Rem was my best girl and that I typed "Ram" by mistake?

So I tried "re zero rem" and it gave me images of Rem, no question. But when I tried "re zero ram" again, it again asked me if I meant Rem.

The conclusion is clear. Google's best girl is Rem.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

29. - Top - End - #1079

I might be dense due to not having seen the series but isn't that like... the actual entire plot of RE:Zero?

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I might be dense due to not having seen the series but isn't that like... the actual entire plot of RE:Zero?
    No, but it is a community joke that conflates and reverses elements of two different plot points of one of the arcs in the first season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?