New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I've read the Usagi Drop manga - I've done my time.
    May god have mercy on your poor soul.

In a likewise vein, do avoid My Mother's Two Hit Combo, because as I believe I've mentioned before the creator explicitly refers to it as "mom-con" so... yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Nothing inherently, the context should make it clear we're referring to this specific one. I also didn't know this character existed.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Bad Anime News: Arson attack at KyoAni studio kills 12.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian
    An arson attack on an anime studio in Japan has left at least 12 people dead and dozens injured.

The perpetrator, who was also injured and has been taken into police custody, walked into the 1st Studio building of Kyoto Animation in Uji, Kyoto prefecture at about 10.30am. He poured what is suspected to be petrol in multiple areas of the building before igniting it.

There were more than 70 people were in the building, which is Kyoto Animation’s main studio, and 12 people died, according to the police.

About 30 fire engines and ambulances went to the three-storey building after an explosion. Victims were taken to various hospitals in Kyoto.

The suspect, identified only as a 41-year-old male, was reportedly taken to hospital before being arrested by police, who said he had admitted starting the fire. No motive for the arson attack has been reported, but Japan’s public broadcaster said he had shouted “drop dead” as he set the fires.

“A man threw liquid and set fire to it,” said a Kyoto prefectural police spokesman.

Emergency calls to the city fire department reported there had been an explosion on the ground floor, while later calls included people shouting: “Help us, the fire is climbing.”

Images shot from a helicopter for NHK showed smoke billowing from the top floor and fire crews still battling the blaze of the badly damaged building hours after it had started. Fire crews said there might be more people left in the building.

The fire department said the three floors of the building covered a total of 700 sq metres and that every storey had been damaged by the fire.

Akidearest

@akidearest
    I’m heartbroken seeing what happened to Kyoto Animation. I don’t know what that sick person must have had against that studio to set it on fire, but my condolences to all the hard working employees. I wish you all a safe recovery...

The studio is located in a residential area of Uji, a historic city near the ancient capital of Kyoto. The company’s headquarters are also in the city; it has an office in Tokyo and a subsidiary in Osaka.

Kyoto Animation was founded in 1981 by Yoko Hatta, an anime producer. Her husband, Hideaki, serves as the company’s president. KyoAni has produced popular anime TV series and feature films and is well-known among anime aficionados around the world for its dedication to high-quality production techniques. Its catalogue includes A Silent Voice: The Movie, K-On!, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star.
    Source
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2019-07-18 at 03:08 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Ye gods.

That's horrific.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

What an awful way to die, I hope the survivors are able to come back together and keep going once they've recovered. There aren't many places in the industry that would treat them as well as Kyoto Animation did.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems the death count is up to 33 now.

Sentai Filmworks has put up a GoFundMe for KyoAni, along with a message from their president https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/...26531896643584

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Seems the death count is up to 33 now.

Sentai Filmworks has put up a GoFundMe for KyoAni, along with a message from their president https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/...26531896643584
    I've heard some bad stuff about Sentai Filmworks, so maybe not give money to people offering to give it to them for you. Instead, you can buy cells from Kyoani directly which ensures they get their money. I forget the link but it shouldn't be that hard to find?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I've heard some bad stuff about Sentai Filmworks,
    Uh, care to elaborate? They're an official distribution and dubbing company in the U.S. They'd have no reason to screw people over especially with a company they directly work with.

8. - Top - End - #98

Uh, care to elaborate? They're an official distribution and dubbing company in the U.S. They'd have no reason to screw people over especially with a company they directly work with.
    What I read is that they used stuff like this to dangle bad contracts over them. They also release bad product with poor quality translation and footage (apparently, haven't watched their productions) and are generally just kinda seedy.

Also Japan's business laws about accepting third party donations apparently don't even allow them TO do this.

Information here.

And if you want to buy stuff from Kyoani directly to support, here: https://twitter.com/zetsubouzhainu/s...70699054428162
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-18 at 05:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

What I read is that they used stuff like this to dangle bad contracts over them. They also release bad product with poor quality translation and footage (apparently, haven't watched their productions) and are generally just kinda seedy.
    So you're just making wild claims, with little to no evidence to support any of it... ok

I've brought their stuff and personally never ran into any glaring problems.

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    So you're just making wild claims, with little to no evidence to support any of it... ok

Seriously. I buy from them a lot because Funimation's prices are outrageous, and during their recent sale I got six products for about the price I'd buy for one from Funi. Their translators do a better job than Funi in terms of subtitles too, since they are really focused on giving cultural and translation tips when necessary (good example of this, watch Watamote).

Also, no, they didn't just plop a GoFundMe all willy-nilly https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/...78913284616192

Speaking of Sentai, I recently watched Tari Tari, and it turned into one of my favorite shows I've watched recently. It's a diverse group of people coming together for a club, which sounds fairly cliche, but they do it so well. A large portion of it deals with grief which always hits me hard. I have a good track record with music-related anime, and it continues with this and Kono Oto, which I cna't wait for the second half later this year.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2019-07-18 at 05:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

Seriously. I buy from them a lot because Funimation's prices are outrageous, and during their recent sale I got six products for about the price I'd buy for one from Funi. Their translators do a better job than Funi in terms of subtitles too, since they are really focused on giving cultural and translation tips when necessary (good example of this, watch Watamote).

Also, no, they didn't just plop a GoFundMe all willy-nilly https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/...78913284616192

Speaking of Sentai, I recently watched Tari Tari, and it turned into one of my favorite shows I've watched recently. It's a diverse group of people coming together for a club, which sounds fairly cliche, but they do it so well. A large portion of it deals with grief which always hits me hard. I have a good track record with music-related anime, and it continues with this and Kono Oto, which I cna't wait for the second half later this year.
    whenever i had the cash their premium box sets would always be one of the things i'd splurge on... they look so freaking cool *o*

omg they are on sale now.... why am i so poor. :'(
    Last edited by ellenate; 2019-07-18 at 06:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post

I literally posted my information sources.

Look I don't know, I'm just saying to exercise caution. It's wonderful to try and help people out, don't get me wrong.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

That source has nothing to do with what i was addressing (i.e. your claims about Sentai's products.)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Look I don't know, I'm just saying to exercise caution. It's wonderful to try and help people out, don't get me wrong.
    You only posted a thread warning about the GoFundMe, which has been a common thing since it came about. Not because Sentai are shady, but because there is no clear evidence that KyoAni will accept the money.

You made wild claims that Sentai as a whole are shady, and provided no reasoning behind that. Also, I'm not sure what "poor footage" means for a company that does not animate, they only distribute.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2019-07-18 at 11:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

You only posted a thread warning about the GoFundMe, which has been a common thing since it came about. Not because Sentai are shady, but because there is no clear evidence that KyoAni will accept the money.

You made wild claims that Sentai as a whole are shady, and provided no reasoning behind that. Also, I'm not sure what "poor footage" means for a company that does not animate, they only distribute.
    Maybe I linked the wrong. Whatever. All I'm going off is what I read, which says they've got poor translations and bad quality blue rays.

At any rate, this is a horrible situation. Feel free to donate how you want, I just do think buying stuff from Kyoani directly will help better, instead of giving a third party money on their behalf.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Unsurprisingly, the third episode of Fire Force has been delayed indefinitely. I'd bet a week or two at least, but who knows at this point. It's a shame because I was looking forward to it, but completely understandable and I fully support the decision.

I keep checking the story for updates to see if there are any more details, but nothing yet. I can't imagine what would motivate a person to do something so horrible.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't think too hard about it. From time to time a person who's been in too much pain or distress over the course of their life just snaps.

There could be some positive outcomes from here on out - improved fire safety standards and mental health programs. Let's hope for that, and obviously root for KyoAni to recover and make great anime like they did before. Living well is the best revenge.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

mental health programs.
    This may be straying a bit off-topic, but I've heard this is a huge problem in Japan. They sort of go by the concept of "deal with it yourself", which can be very unhealthy.

I've asked before why certain shows seem to not be looking at an obvious solution. Chuunibyou and March Comes in Like a Lion seem to bring up that question for me. Where are the therapists? Oh...they may not have any.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2019-07-19 at 02:53 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

This may be straying a bit off-topic, but I've heard this is a huge problem in Japan. They sort of go by the concept of "deal with it yourself", which can be very unhealthy.

I've asked before why certain shows seem to not be looking at an obvious solution. Chuunibyou and March Comes in Like a Lion seem to bring up that question for me. Where are the therapists? Oh...they may not have any.
    that....would explain a lot of the problems I have with some characters and behaviors in anime.

but yeah, a fire killing 33 out of 70? that is horrible. one guy suddenly making half the people they work with in a building for years suddenly...gone. can't even imagine how that must feel to them. and how the deal with it yourself concept probably doesn't help with dealing with that if you need someone else to convey feelings to or something.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #110
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don't want to get too much into real-world things, but this has been confirmed by a friend of mine who has lived and worked there for the last few years. And yeah, that does factor in a few anime things that seem strange to us.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    Don't want to get too much into real-world things, but this has been confirmed by a friend of mine who has lived and worked there for the last few years. And yeah, that does factor in a few anime things that seem strange to us.
    I feel the prevalence of the "can't be helped" (Shikata ga nai / Shou ga nai) line in plenty of manga/anime dialogue is connected to that somehow.

*especially on matters that still can, indeed, be helped
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2019-07-19 at 05:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

You know for Yuno (from Future Dairy) being labeled the official poster child of crazy... She's not really that crazy in the show, most of the time, the only voice of reason.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

I tried to watch Demon Girl Next Door, but the subtitles are sometimes illegible. The Hidive subtitles have only a very thin black outline, and the at least the first episode of Demon Girl has a lot of white and light colors near the bottom of the screen. Hence, the subtitles are often nearly invisible for me.

I wish there were an option to use black-boxed subtitles like Funimation uses. They obscure more of the animation, but I can actually read them. I totally missed a good chunk of the dialogue in Demon Girl despite staring intently at the subtitles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    I tried to watch Demon Girl Next Door, but the subtitles are sometimes illegible. The Hidive subtitles have only a very thin black outline, and the at least the first episode of Demon Girl has a lot of white and light colors near the bottom of the screen. Hence, the subtitles are often nearly invisible for me.

I wish there were an option to use black-boxed subtitles like Funimation uses. They obscure more of the animation, but I can actually read them. I totally missed a good chunk of the dialogue in Demon Girl despite staring intently at the subtitles.
    Weird, I have the opposite problem. Funimation doesn't outline the text well enough, and there are a lot of moments I couldn't read them. Have not have an issue with Hidive's.

That said, Hidive's subtitlers really need to stop using imperial terms, and instead use the actual measurements that are being used in the show. Don't need to see "miles" in a show set in Japan.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

So guys, I don't really know anime that well - well enough to know a decent number of genres and stereotypes of those genres, and to have watched much of the mainstream (read: aired on Cartoon Network at some time). I'm looking for the really good series that haven't "crossed over" to the mainstream. Things like PMMM (which I've seen all of) or Steins;Gate (which I'm watching) - I mostly know about them because they've been discussed a lot here. They don't have to be dramas - I'd put Konosuba on the same list, although it's probably not as top-notch.

tl;dr What are some not-quite-mainstream but really good series?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't really know what aired in the US. But going only by cartoon network https://cartoonnetwork.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Anime most of my highly rated stuff isn't on that list. Hmm let me go through my highest rated series on myanimelist (though it is a very incomplete list)
    Mushishi - beautiful episodic fantasy setting where the MC travels and deals with strange stuff caused by weird beings.
    Last exile counts as steam punk I guess
    Both FMA are super well known in anime circles but weren't on cartoon network
    Haibane Ranmei is worth a look, FLCL is probably better when one is more used to anime, Seikai no Monshou well most rate it less high than me I enjoyed it though, Baccano! is fun, guardian of the sacred spirit is good and there aren't that many normal fantasy series, I liked Simoun, I really should finish Kureau phantom memories but that has nothing to do with this list, Ergo proxy is decent, Ouran Koukou Host Club is fun in a way, Ah spice and wolf is good…

Honestly without genre restrictions I don't really know what to list.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2019-07-23 at 03:07 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by uncool View Post
    So guys, I don't really know anime that well - well enough to know a decent number of genres and stereotypes of those genres, and to have watched much of the mainstream (read: aired on Cartoon Network at some time). I'm looking for the really good series that haven't "crossed over" to the mainstream. Things like PMMM (which I've seen all of) or Steins;Gate (which I'm watching) - I mostly know about them because they've been discussed a lot here. They don't have to be dramas - I'd put Konosuba on the same list, although it's probably not as top-notch.

tl;dr What are some not-quite-mainstream but really good series?
    I haven't watched that much, but here are some recommendations:

• Konosuba is a top notch comedy IMO. It's really funny, in sub or dub.
    • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is great. Is fantasy sit-com a genre? The dub is really good too.
    • The Ancient Magus' Bride was not quite what I was expecting, but it is good. Celtic mythology, drama, some rather odd romance. Sort of a beauty and the beast thing going on. Quite slow, at least at the start, but always pretty.
    • Little Witch Academia is pretty mainstream, but it's amazing. A mix of drama and comedy that somehow works perfectly. I preferred the sub-titles, the dub seemed to have some poor choices in translation in comparison.
    • The Promised Neverland is incredible. Thriller, and real edge-of-your seat stuff for the whole season, combined with very good animation and composition.
    Last edited by Excession; 2019-07-23 at 04:58 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Look out for Shirobako. It's a fairly light-hearted and positive, but authentic show about an anime studio making anime.

One of the classics in my eyes is Seirei no Moribito. It's just really solid fantasy. It's not primarily an action show, though whenever fighting does happen it's immaculately animated.

Do you like baseball - as in, does watching anime about baseball sound like something you might do? Watch Major. It starts in Little League, and takes its protagonist, season-by-season, all the way to the MLB.

If you liked Konosuba, try Youjo Senki. It's a rock solid war drama with a fantasy bent that happens to star a little girl with magic powers who is really the reincarnation of a Lawful Evil office worker from Japan. She's just a hoot to watch.

Also if you liked Konosuba, see if you can find Slayers, the classic comedic fantasy series that many older anime fans grew up with. If it wasn't a major inspiration for Konosuba I'll eat my hat. The main cast of four in Slayers is just as funny as Konosuba's, though made up of much more competent characters, who in turn face much more competent evils. The main difference between the two shows is that Slayers occasionally changes its mask and becomes a serious show about fighting supernatural evils, much like your average D&D campaign is usually good mates having light-hearted fun up until they knuckle down to fight the Big Bad.

One of the easily overlooked shows of the last couple of years is Girls' Last Tour. Don't let the art style in which the main characters are drawn fool you - their adorableness exists to contrast the grimness of the setting - a planet completely covered in industry and seemingly devoid of nature. To keep you watching as you slowly learn about the ultimate fate of humanity.

For something completely different - I'm a big fan of Nodame Cantabile. It's a frequently light-hearted drama about classical music and the transition from sorrow-free student life to the reality of being a musical professional. The titular character Nodame thinks it's a love story (specifically, one in which she lands the man of her dreams), but don't let her fool you - it's only occasionally that.

If you want to look into an anime that's currently airing, I strongly recommend Vinland Saga, an ongoing manga adaptation.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2019-07-23 at 05:16 AM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

cool Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

As a big fan of Shojo, there's a lot of stuff that didn't properly make the jump to the States.

Kimi ni Todoke: A high school girl that everyone avoids decides one year to try to make friends, but between her horror-movie-monster like demeanor (specifically, the girl from The Ring) and her just. Not knowing how to interact with people, shenanigans occur.

Say I love You: Another high school romance. I remember being really impressed with it (enough to remember the name) but I watched it do long ago all I can really remember about it is how it focuses of communication and that I really liked how the boy would call after the girl when she ran away- her name was Mei but he somehow made it sound like a 2-syllable name.

Haganai/I Don't Have (M)any Friends: A comedy about a bunch of high school social outcasts who form a club that's supposed to teach them how to make friends. It takes them the entire season to figure out that they've made friends with each other.

Oremonogatari: Due to what I assume is some kind of stork mix up, a JoJo's character is stuck in a Shojo anime. He falls for a girl, but given that every girl he falls for eventually falls for his Bishie Sparkling best friend, he assumes this is happening again, and like a True Bro, tries to set up his best friend with the girl he loves, even though the girl is clearly interested in JoJo Boy. The Best friend get sick of this s*** in episode 3 and tricks them into confessing to each other. Best Friend continues attempting to beat the lesson of "talk to each other dammit" through both of their thick skulls. Everything is cute and I constantly find myself wanting to rub my face against the screen.

Blue Spring Ride: Middle School Sweethearts find each other again in second year of high school. Boy has changed a lot, and Girl struggles to reconcile the feelings she still has for him with the fact that he's a jerk now. Also there's a whole lot of discussion about the toxicity of high school clique culture.

Seto No Hanayome/ My Bride Is A Mermaid:The Best Gag Anime Ever. I'm not even going to explain anything, other than the fact that This Happens, and everything about it- every single thing- is internally consistent to the narrative. And also despite constantly resembling some kind of marijuana-induced fever dream, it still manages to develop and follow through on a literary theme that applies to all the maincharacters.e
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-07-23 at 06:10 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

30. - Top - End - #120

Also if you liked Konosuba, see if you can find Slayers, the classic comedic fantasy series that many older anime fans grew up with. If it wasn't a major inspiration for Konosuba I'll eat my hat. The main cast of four in Slayers is just as funny as Konosuba's, though made up of much more competent characters, who in turn face much more competent evils. The main difference between the two shows is that Slayers occasionally changes its mask and becomes a serious show about fighting supernatural evils, much like your average D&D campaign is usually good mates having light-hearted fun up until they knuckle down to fight the Big Bad.
    Just watched the first episode of that, really good. The 4th wall certainly didn't last long.