New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1631323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1371
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Spoiler: Not on Hulu! Cmon!
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Finished watching up to season two of A Certain Scientific Railgun.

(Yes, the dub. Yes, I found it perfectly fine.)

That were a right laugh.

Not quite was I was expecting - it - especially the first season - was much more slice-of-life than action live I'd expected. But it managed to carry it off perfectly, and crowned both seasons with Everyone Being Awesome, especially in the finale.

Character I think I was most impressed by was actually Kongou. She started out as projecting the steriotypical spoiled rich girl. Then the swimsuit episode came along, and I got the first glimpse through the cracks that wasn't just what she was (when she actually backpeddled on herself and admitted she actualyl didn't know squat about cooking and was just trying to impress them). And then at the end of the first season, she was wading into the think of the fight and being incredibly badass. And she just got better in season two. (Hell, she and her mates got to be Fighting In The Intro...!)

I finally realised that she's a bit of a Rarity (yes, the MLP one); that was another character I was initially like "eh," on, until she had her chance to shine. I quite like stuff like that, stuff that seems superficial until you look jarder and go "oh, wait...!"

(I mean, frack's sake, she has a pet snake and no qualms about toting dead mice off to feed it, that's several kinds od awesome right there!)

The finale was like 75% "break out the title music because Awesome Stuff Is Happening."

I think really my only complaint is is sort of feels like it could have done with another +25-50% run time to let things breath a bit more. I wasn't QUITE rushed, but I think you could have let the action stuff run a bit longer if they'd had more time. (C.f. FMA Brotherhood)

Was impressed enough I put Certain Magical Index on my Christmas List (as it might not be as good, but it's probably quite watchable by that standard). It did feel in places like it was missing part of the story. Not in a bad way but in "you can tell this is just part of what is going on," way.

Naturally, because everything hates me, the third season was not available on DVD over here... (And while I was delighted to find that this very year, Railgun season 3 aired, frack knows how long it'll be (if ever?) before I can watch that or it gets dubbed (since it was quite large gap...)

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Colossus in the Playground

I've watched enough of Index to inform you, with 100% certainty, that watching Index will not answer any questions you have, and will in fact just raise more.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Is it strange to like Railgun a LOT more than you like Index?

And I stumbled on a short series on Youtube call "Obsolete". It's CG and mechs, but very interesting. Came out late last year (sorry if it was mentioned here and I missed it). 6 episodes about 10 min each (6 more Dec 1, 2020).

https://youtu.be/LzqPSoMXAig
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Not at all. In fact, I think most people like Railgun more. Misaka is a much more interesting character than Touma, and her supporting cast is also arguably superior. I think the writing tends to be better as well.

That's not to put Aotrs off from watching Index; Index is still quite an enjoyable series in its own right. I do know that I found it hard to go back to Index after a couple of seasons of Railgun, although from what I've heard that's mostly due to Index's third season being weak.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Index novels are much better than the show. Partly because the anime glosses over tons of detail, which is usually understandable but sometimes egregious. And partly because it's narrated by Touma, giving him a nonzero amount of characterization.

But I think I still prefer Railgun overall too.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm now not gonna mention what Naruto is all approximately as you could google it yourself. I’ll be speaking approximately how i felt once I watched it.

At the floor it seems like a ordinary teenager preventing anime. I first encountered Naruto anime filler wish list i used to be in number one college (7–12 years old). They defined the entirety thoroughly or even the filler episodes are complete of useful statistic. You get connected to the characters and you could watch the characters develop during the collection.

They do not rely upon cheap slapstick comedies like one piece as nicely. The humorous bits are in reality funny and the critical, emotional scenes are certainly going to move you.

I am sad that the collection ended before the tale is simply complete. But it is nevertheless a wonderful adventure watching the complete collection. I hope they do retain the collection once the anime is completed.

But it’s great in case you watch the 2011 anime in place of the 1999, due to the fact the latter is shorter and loads of the information are revealed within the ovas (movies). However, in case you are inquisitive about a few characters’ storylines and info, i’d endorse the ovas that wasn't covered in the 2011 collection.

If you love preventing animes that makes you believe you studied instead of simply feeding you nonsense, Naruto is an anime for you. Experience!!

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So I've been reading the Jojo manga upto Steelball run and I was wondering how this season compares to the others? I think two and three have been my favourites but the prison arc especially seems to be struggling under the weight of the things before it, it was still decent until the ending which I really dislike as it's both way over the top and anticlimactic at the same time. I also miss the sillier stuff like the Fool and Horus fight from the Star arc plus I don't know why people have stopped using ripple all of a sudden. the interactions between that and a stand could be really interesting but gets used all of once that I remember. So what are peoples opinions on the steel ball run arc is it worth getting into or is the prison arc a good place to end?

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    So I've been reading the Jojo manga upto Steelball run and I was wondering how this season compares to the others? I think two and three have been my favourites but the prison arc especially seems to be struggling under the weight of the things before it, it was still decent until the ending which I really dislike as it's both way over the top and anticlimactic at the same time. I also miss the sillier stuff like the Fool and Horus fight from the Star arc plus I don't know why people have stopped using ripple all of a sudden. the interactions between that and a stand could be really interesting but gets used all of once that I remember. So what are peoples opinions on the steel ball run arc is it worth getting into or is the prison arc a good place to end?
    Steel Ball Run is the JoJo magnum opus. Really do read it. Everyone agrees the prison stuff was a bit rough so don't worry about it to much. Steel Ball Run is worth every second of your life you will spend on it.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Huh that's good to hear then, am I correct in thinking Steel ball is also the ongoing arc?

11. - Top - End - #1211

Huh that's good to hear then, am I correct in thinking Steel ball is also the ongoing arc?
    Steel Ball Run is over, Jojolion which is the part AFTER SBR is still going.

In other anime and manga news; Promised Neverland cut Mister/Yuugo from the plot entirely, it seems. Ooops.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Steel Ball Run is over, Jojolion which is the part AFTER SBR is still going.

In other anime and manga news; Promised Neverland cut Mister/Yuugo from the plot entirely, it seems. Ooops.
    ...that bodes poorly. I had hoped the adaptation would be able to salvage the rushed plot of the manga by filling things out and this is going quite the wrong direction.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ogre in the Playground

Gotta say... it's only 2 chapters into the manga's new arc, but Dragonball Super is actually... looking like it's setting up for good storytelling???

Grahnola isn't a world-destroying supermonster, we've spent some time with him, the 2 first chapters, and can relate to him far more then say... Jiren. he's a clever, sharpshooting bounty hunter with an understandable "frieza by way of the saiyans destroyed my planet/civilzation/all i hold dear" chip on his shoulder we get to experience through him and at least power-wise has plenty of room to grow and is nowhere near the main crew in strength. He's delighted to hear that he might get his revenge on the space tyrant as the rumours of his death seem to have been vastly exaggerated.

the new group, the Heaters, look to be an evil organization focused on something other then just military power but rather gathering as much intel and bargaining chips as possible.

Goku has a goal that isn't just "FIGHT NEW STRONGER GUY" but rather actually put work on actually perfecting his Ultra Instinct with Whis (UI as a god technique is used primarily by the angels it seems and Goku has just manage to get his white belt in it) now that he can turn it on/off largely at will.

Vegeta seems like he's going to be trained-not-trained by Beerus who feels like stretching and our Prince is going to see if there's anything worth stealing/adapting (though I'm kinda, but also not, surprised he didn't go back to Yardrat, where he quickly learned the instant transmission and spirit fission). At the very least it doesn't look like we'll be seeing another new and better marketable form transformation from either saiyan anytime soon.

What I'm hoping to see from this? I just want Broly coming back as part of the main story. Not exactly sure how, but we haven't seen or heard of him in a bit outside of a single off-hand mention, in an albeit large panel in the manga post-Tournament of Power. Heck, Uub has had more story time and development in the Super manga then the now-cannon Broly. I could see the Good boy Broly getting targeted by Grahnola's want for revenge, if the Heaters hint at getting information that some lone Saiyan is living in the middle of nowhere as that's probably easier targets then the 2 pet Saiyans picked up by the fickle and temperamental God of Destruction.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

So what exactly is it that everyone sees in Jujutsu Kaisen? Don't get me wrong, I find it enjoyable enough, but when people throw around words like "great", I expect a bit more than...fine. For all the hype about the fights, they seem to be all spectacle, no substance. Pretty lights and decent animation but nothing else to it; just bigger power flex on smaller power with no strategy or technique involved whatsoever.

Spoiler: Details
    Show
    Gojo in particular seems to be holding the series back in a big way. There's a reason shonen series either explicitly (like History's Mightiest Disciple Kenichi) or implicitly have a "masters shall not get involved in their student's fights" clause; it takes every single bit of tension out of any conflict when you know that Gojo is strong enough to beat anybody that's currently been introduced (I'm up to episode 8), and explicitly considers demonstrably powerful creatures (roughly half as strong as Sukuna, who is supposedly a threat when at full power, or at least we're supposed to believe so) "weak" and seemingly has the ability to teleport or at least super speed vast distances in a blink.

When you give a power scaling system based on twentieths of the main character's "power source"/series main villain and then immediately undercut it, it doesn't really do much to get the reader invested in fights.

My one hope at this point is that the bad guys actually succeed at "sealing" Gojo like they mentioned, which would fix several narrative issues, but would be disappointing if it removes him from the series entirely, since outside of the way he warps the entire series around himself he's quite a likeable character.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-01-23 at 04:37 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1215

In terms of Dragon Ball: I figured that the end of Broly where Goku befriends Broly and says "or you can call me Kakarot" was setting up...

Well, a subversive allusion, if you will, to OG Broly's later characterization.

After a while he just devolved into a raging brute who would try to destroy anything that reminded him of "Kakarooooooott!"

I honestly think that, eventually, Goku is gonna get his ass seriously kicked where Broly can see, after Goku befriends Broly a bit more, and Broly won't take it well.

In terms of Vegeta: I don't know how canon it is, but there's apparently a gag page of Vegeta demonstrating various Spirit Control techniques as part of his training on Yardrat. He may well have learned everything he could have learned about Spirit control and now he's moved on. Or it could be a one-off joke and he's just elected to stick with what he found useful instead of learning every single technique.

In terms of Ultra Instinct, again I don't know how canon it is, but Super Dragon Ball Heroes has a recent update that gives the "Avatar" characters(basically, the character that's supposed to be "you") access to Ultra Instinct Sign so we have a vague idea of what Ultra Instinct looks like when used by different races.

Goku's Ultra Instinct Forms might have super Saiyan traits baked into. The Frieza Race, Kai, Demon Realm, and Berserker Class Android Avatars all for sure are applying Ultra Instinct over their existing Transformations/God forms and the same might be true of the Majins, Namekian, and other two Android Avatars.

And the android Hero and Elite are supposed to be modified, humans. Their hair does not move or take on the silvery sheen that Goku or the Ultra Instinct Sign Saiyan Avatars do.

I figure that this time next year there will be an update that adds another Rank up to Mastered Ultra Instinct and we'll be able to confirm if that's what they're implying or not based on what the characters look like.

Though the Frieza Race, Android Berserker, Supreme Kai, and Demon God avatars might be implying that Saiyans are getting the short end of the stick.
    Spoiler
    Show

All of them are in a transformed sate and applying Ultra Instinct Over it, while Goku and the Saiyan Avatars don't noticeably carry over any traits from previous forms.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    So what exactly is it that everyone sees in Jujutsu Kaisen? Don't get me wrong, I find it enjoyable enough, but when people throw around words like "great", I expect a bit more than...fine. For all the hype about the fights, they seem to be all spectacle, no substance. Pretty lights and decent animation but nothing else to it; just bigger power flex on smaller power with no strategy or technique involved whatsoever.

Show
    Gojo in particular seems to be holding the series back in a big way. There's a reason shonen series either explicitly (like History's Mightiest Disciple Kenichi) or implicitly have a "masters shall not get involved in their student's fights" clause; it takes every single bit of tension out of any conflict when you know that Gojo is strong enough to beat anybody that's currently been introduced (I'm up to episode 8), and explicitly considers demonstrably powerful creatures (roughly half as strong as Sukuna, who is supposedly a threat when at full power, or at least we're supposed to believe so) "weak" and seemingly has the ability to teleport or at least super speed vast distances in a blink.

When you give a power scaling system based on twentieths of the main character's "power source"/series main villain and then immediately undercut it, it doesn't really do much to get the reader invested in fights.

My one hope at this point is that the bad guys actually succeed at "sealing" Gojo like they mentioned, which would fix several narrative issues, but would be disappointing if it removes him from the series entirely, since outside of the way he warps the entire series around himself he's quite a likeable character.
    "Fine" is about my impression of the series thus far. It's pulling tropes and plot points from half a dozen different shonen series and mashing them together. It works without being an exceptional series like MHA and the writing is decent enough to keep it out of High School God territory.

For what it's worth, the next arc has fights that are on a much more even power level.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

That gives me hope. The interactions between Sukuna and Yuji alone are enough to keep me watching for at least a little while longer, but a battle shonen with weak action is kind of going to lose my interest fast unless the plot and/or characters are exceptional.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That gives me hope. The interactions between Sukuna and Yuji alone are enough to keep me watching for at least a little while longer, but a battle shonen with weak action is kind of going to lose my interest fast unless the plot and/or characters are exceptional.
    For me, Jututsu Kaisen came in just above the "still watching" bar in the last season, with Yashahime coming just below the bar. It's what I watched when I didn't have the attention span for Talentless Nana or Akudama Drive. It fills the spot in my schedule that Naruto (and then Boruto) used to, so my standards aren't exactly high here.

I'm still disappointed with Yashahime. The nostalgia hit was huge when I started watching, but the girls are so overpowered that it robbed the series of any tension before it even began.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

I hadn't started watching it yet, but my interest was kind of sapped when it was confirmed that my suspicions about the twins' parentage were correct.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    For me, Jututsu Kaisen came in just above the "still watching" bar in the last season, with Yashahime coming just below the bar. It's what I watched when I didn't have the attention span for Talentless Nana or Akudama Drive. It fills the spot in my schedule that Naruto (and then Boruto) used to, so my standards aren't exactly high here.

I'm still disappointed with Yashahime. The nostalgia hit was huge when I started watching, but the girls are so overpowered that it robbed the series of any tension before it even began.
    Yashahime's biggest faults in my eyes isn't power scaling, but it's pacing, in that there is none, and the protagonist isn't particularly interesting. it took a flashback episode 15 episodes in to actually figure out what happened to the legacy characters. I like the show but it irritates me to no end

Spoiler: pretty big yashahime spoilers and ranting
    Show

Towa's main goal is to find the demon butterfly thing that stole Setsuna's ability to sleep/dream and maybe get back to modern day? Towa never really mentions about wanting to go back. Setsuna's been without this for so long she doesn't particularly see what's so great about having to close your eyes for long periods of time. Problem is, Towa has no idea where to begin even investigating or how to start doing so and doesn't seem to be making much effort on screen. She's just kinda... hanging out with the demon slayers hoping to hear something and killing demons in the meanwhile.

Setsuna is just vibing. She doing her thing and that's kind of all there is to her. She's the stoic, silent and strong character that's just doing her job while Towa tags along like a lost puppy out of water. I might have mixed my metaphors but whatever

Moroha is the only one of the three protagonists actively working towards her goal, and probably the most interesting to watch on screen. it's kind of a shame it took us 16 episodes to actually find out what her deal is, and it's in a rushed episode at that.

but to go back to the pacing... it's so... darned... plodding. We're only recently starting to get any idea of the villain and their motivation and it's not the best.

So at the end of the "Wha happun to Inuyasha?" episode 15 (the answer is: Inu & Kagome were trapped in Ancient Japanese Magical Carbonite and timelocked out of space and time because new Big Bad, Inu's dad's frenemy, really REALLY hates half-bloods and humans and Sesshomaru can be a bit of a Richard), we find that Moroha was unceremoniously dropped off with the wolf demons and raised by them instead of say... the shinto priests or demon slayers.

Immediately, as in the next episode the latest one EP16, we find out in a VERY VERY rushed episode that 3 years ago, Moroha's swordsmanship/demon power Sensei got tricked into cursed power armour saving a rampaging young moroha. the cursed armour, made by the ratfolk smiths, requires a magic key to remove and will eventually shrink to the size of a rat, crushing the innards of whoever is wearing it. this key is stupidly expensive to make.

after throwing a young moroha to the proverbial lions den with a katana as reward, her trainer immediately left the scene and gambled away a large chunk of the cash she saved up with the demon corpse seller current day moroha is often seen associating with. Corpse Buyer then offers to purchase Moroha off her sensei since "hey, she survived against the odds. must be good for something!" and paid Sensei enough for that magic key+change, as long as she gives the katana to moroha. Sensei says give me that cash, pawns off Moroha and spends the next 3 years looking for the ratfolk.

Then a familiar jerkbutt demon, one of the 4 midbosses that are now down to 2, killed all ratfolk and has the last magic key, forcing Sensei to kill Moroha in a devilishly evil twist mwahahahaha twirling my moustache if she wants the key. They have a rushed fight, Moroha gets a new whirlywind dragon laser for her sword and Sensei commits ritualistic Chiaotzu by trying to grab jerkbutt from behind and kill both of them off in an explosion, but jerkbutt has a contingency, teleports away unharmed and Sensei dies by whirlywind dragon laser. i guess that's better then being crushed by your breastplate.

Hooray for probably the single most important character in the life of one of our three protagonists getting a SINGLE and VERY rushed episode and coming out of it looking like a jerk. I mean, they are a demon, but still.

but outside of this rushed as all heck episode? lots of plodding. We do take an episode to catch up with Sango and Miroku, the former is being a chill mom raising 3 kids who still owns a badass pet demoncatfoxdogthing while still helping with the demon slayers by making poisons and masks and stuff and the latter having gone off to a temple to train in isolation for a bit because he's now become the Krillin: still super strong for a regular human, but the protags are all demon... ish.

But the lack of agency between Towa and Setsuna is aggravating. Not that they have any and all agency stripped from them, but rather they have all the agency in the world and... they do nothing. They do the D&D equivalent of sitting around at a bar and hoping a mysterious cloaked man drops the right plot into their lap. Setsuna is happy just helping the demon hunters, for her this is business as usual and as I said... her lack of sleep/dream doesn't particularly bother her... it's Towa that feels guilty over something Setsuna is ambivalent at best about. And Towa isn't really doing much to look into this even though it seems to be her driving goal outside of hanging out with Sis in a time before Japan had proper plumbing. She doesn't seem to be looking for different demon slayer groups of priesthoods that may have encountered the demon butterfly and researching it, where it hangs out, it's weaknesses, how to draw it out, how to catch and it and reverse the curse... Towa is super passive about this whole deal. She feels guilty but not that guilty i guess?

But we know what Moroha's goal is, to pay off what her Sensei was given and get her freedom from the Demon Corpse Seller. AND MOROHA IS ACTIVELY DOING THAT. I want the Moroha show. I want to see this brash demon hunter go into crazy adventures and looking for the next big score to pay off the loan shark her Sensei sold her to. It would be a far more interesting show at least, and we can still have all these background demon plotting and whatnot while we focus on an actually interesting to watch character who's sometimes accompanied by her 2 more powerful friends.
    Last edited by oxybe; 2021-01-23 at 11:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Hmm. The anime "So I'm a Spider, So What?" (On Crunchyroll) It's a isekai but the MC is a monster spider, not a big strong hero. It's funny but there is some stuff that is rather horrific as well. So, general opinion on it? Funny? a different take? Bad?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Hmm. The anime "So I'm a Spider, So What?" (On Crunchyroll) It's a isekai but the MC is a monster spider, not a big strong hero. It's funny but there is some stuff that is rather horrific as well. So, general opinion on it? Funny? a different take? Bad?
    Its finally out?!

Is there somewhere I can stream it for free?

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

First 2 episodes are up for free on Crunchyroll. But of course you have to watch commercials. Think the new episodes drop on Friday.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Orc in the Playground

Show

While I agree with you that that's the current state of the "battles" in JJK - decent, nothing really special - I personally am ok with it because it's generally using the time well to set up the characters and their personal conflicts, as well as the world and some of its peculiarities (and bizarreness). In some ways, you could see it as the show shortening the common "adversity/introduction arc" to lengthen the "training arc"; I expect little in the way of true climactic battles; more likely for now are small revelations as setups for later payoffs.
    Spoiler: Episode 8
    Show

For Gojo, they do have a kinda-implicit "Gojo's not here" thing going most of the time - he's kept busy by sorcerers being overstretched plus higher-up politics. It's not as strong as in most shounen, but he's rarely actually there.

I fully agree with you that it has ramped up way too fast; I was expecting Jougo to say 3, 4, maybe 5 if they had an amazing mid-cour fight. 8 or 9 is far too high, and the fight was nowhere near good enough to justify the rating.

I see JJK so far as kinda a mix between One Piece, Shokugeki no Soma and a perfectly generic "battle shounen"; a lot of emphasis is on the bizarreness of the characters and more importantly the world, with character development second and the battles themselves a close third.
    Last edited by uncool; 2021-01-23 at 04:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Wait, what? I'm on Ep1 and it already skipped a lot of the story before they met Mujika. Is season 2 really rushing to finish Goldy Pond? The studio couldn't have made this a 2-cour season?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by uncool View Post
    While I agree with you that that's the current state of the "battles" in JJK - decent, nothing really special - I personally am ok with it because it's generally using the time well to set up the characters and their personal conflicts, as well as the world and some of its peculiarities (and bizarreness). In some ways, you could see it as the show shortening the common "adversity/introduction arc" to lengthen the "training arc"; I expect little in the way of true climactic battles; more likely for now are small revelations as setups for later payoffs.
    Spoiler: Episode 8
    Show

For Gojo, they do have a kinda-implicit "Gojo's not here" thing going most of the time - he's kept busy by sorcerers being overstretched plus higher-up politics. It's not as strong as in most shounen, but he's rarely actually there.

I fully agree with you that it has ramped up way too fast; I was expecting Jougo to say 3, 4, maybe 5 if they had an amazing mid-cour fight. 8 or 9 is far too high, and the fight was nowhere near good enough to justify the rating.

I see JJK so far as kinda a mix between One Piece, Shokugeki no Soma and a perfectly generic "battle shounen"; a lot of emphasis is on the bizarreness of the characters and more importantly the world, with character development second and the battles themselves a close third.
    Really? I actually thought it was doing the opposite. It feels like the series is doing its best to gloss over the usual introductory bits to get to the "good stuff" and suffering for it. It feels like the series is really rushing toward that Kyoto school tournament, but usually the reason tournament arcs are so hype is because we've already spent a bit of time getting to know the characters. We basically know nothing about the other two students besides their backstories and vague attitudes so far.

It feels like it really wants the characters of a Kekkai Sensen type series, but without a world that's equally wacky to go with it; Jujutsu Kaisen's world is pretty bog standard for the urban fantasy/demon hunting genre. It reminds me a lot of Kekkaishi.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-01-23 at 08:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1227

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Wait, what? I'm on Ep1 and it already skipped a lot of the story before they met Mujika. Is season 2 really rushing to finish Goldy Pond? The studio couldn't have made this a 2-cour season?
    Oh yeah they're rushing this to hell and back. My best guess is that they looked at the utter mess that was the manga's fall from grace and went "okay we're cutting this down as much as we can".

RE Jujutsu Kaisen; I have NO idea how people can enjoy it. I've tried, I've read the whole thing, but it just feels so slapdash and rushed to "get to the good things". And then it gets to the good things and does them bad in every way except for the hammer girl who is cool and gay.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-01-23 at 09:50 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Troll in the Playground

I haven't gotten around to watching any of the anime yet but I've been loving the manga.

Spoiler: Jujutsu Kaisen
    Show
    The Goto thing is an issue of him being capable of destroying any enemy in his line of sightm but a big theme of the story is the idea that no one person no matter how powerful could ever actually fix things or protect anyone.
    Spoiler: Goto Spoilers
    Show
    And he gets completely blindsided and removed from play in the current arc as ell

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: Steel ball run
    Show
    So yea that was alot better than the prison stuff, the scourge of healing abilities is unfortuantly still there. I know the writer wants to show off people losing limbs and stuff but it would be nice for fights to be anything other then a complete victory or defeat. I also felt kind of bad for the horses, almost everything they do to their horses would kill them easily but that's pretty normal in most types of media. I also preferred Dino Dio it's a more interesting ability than the world.

Anyway onto the next art which is shaping up to be some sort of mystery.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Steel ball run
    Show
    So yea that was alot better than the prison stuff, the scourge of healing abilities is unfortuantly still there. I know the writer wants to show off people losing limbs and stuff but it would be nice for fights to be anything other then a complete victory or defeat. I also felt kind of bad for the horses, almost everything they do to their horses would kill them easily but that's pretty normal in most types of media. I also preferred Dino Dio it's a more interesting ability than the world.

Anyway onto the next art which is shaping up to be some sort of mystery.
    Spoiler: JoJolion
    Show
    Yea it's a strange mystery, very Twin Peaks meets body horror. I haven't been reading it myself, I'm waiting for it to finish.