New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

This is a very fun sounding set and if anyone gets any of the Godzilla brand cards please contact me as soon as possible.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Mutate looks really good on a hexproof frame. Essentially a better version of enchantment creatures, I like it a lot.

I'm sad they banned the Otter, they don't look good enough to be useful outside their companion ability so its essentially a dead card. OTOH I can probably get a set cheap this way.
    Yeah, but Hexproof is already too OP. Shroud is more fair inn my opinion.

The otter alone made me consider making a izzet Modern deck (I wont but I did sonsider it) lol

One of my friend is happy about a lot of golgari staples in this edition.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Yeah, but Hexproof is already too OP. Shroud is more fair inn my opinion.

The otter alone made me consider making a izzet Modern deck (I wont but I did sonsider it) lol

One of my friend is happy about a lot of golgari staples in this edition.
    I can't think of a single hexproof creature in a tier 1 competitive deck outside of standard. Unfun maybe, but its OP like counter spells and land destruction (ie its not.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I can't think of a single hexproof creature in a tier 1 competitive deck outside of standard. Unfun maybe, but its OP like counter spells and land destruction (ie its not.)
    Fair point. You might be right about that. The main difference is the social contract in Commander, depending of your playgroup.

Maybe not OP but Padeem deck can be pretty annoying with all their artifact creature having hexproof. Same for that angel that give hexproof to all humans.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sad they banned the Otter, they don't look good enough to be useful outside their companion ability so its essentially a dead card. OTOH I can probably get a set cheap this way.
    It was a free card in every UR deck, that's very destructive for the format.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

The issue was the implementation of Companion for Commander. If the otter wasn't a 'bonus' card in addition to anything else I think the card would be fine for Commander. It would definitely be a T1 Commander deck but I don't think it would be problematic.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

What tier is bogles?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    What tier is bogles?
    Tier 3 in modern, t2 in pauper, tier nothing in vintage and legacy.

Mtg has a ton of board wipes and forced sac abilities, hexproof is decent but not broken. In pauper Bogles has most of the cards from Modern, but sacrifice based removal is so common and fog based control it still isn't that good.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So on MTG Arena, I have a Sultai Ascendancy deck. It's mostly Hydra's with a bit of amass and ramp to get things going. It's also a bit scatterbrained and it's probably easy to tell that it's been patchworked together across multiple releases.
    Spoiler: Deck List
    Show

3 Simic Ascendancy (RNA) 207
    2 Enter the God-Eternals (WAR) 196
    1 Swamp (DAR) 258
    4 Gleaming Overseer (WAR) 198
    4 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
    4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
    2 Dreadhorde Invasion (WAR) 86
    2 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
    3 Tyrant's Scorn (WAR) 225
    2 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
    2 Hydra's Growth (THB) 172
    4 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
    2 Gargos, Vicious Watcher (M20) 172
    2 Vivien, Champion of the Wilds (WAR) 180
    3 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
    4 Island (M19) 266
    2 Swamp (DAR) 260
    2 Forest (ANA) 60
    2 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
    4 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
    2 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
    2 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
    2 Polukranos, Unchained (THB) 224

It's not really a high-tier deck, but I've managed to squeeze through with it to platinum in the past. It isn't a rare thing for me to pull out a win when I really should have lost. Anyway, I think I've managed to pull a screenshot of the best example possible for this so far. All of my big beefy cratures got Mass Manipulation'd, My opponent just attacked with everything, i'm down to 1hp, Dreadhorde Invasion is coming in but...
    Spoiler
    Show

It truly is..."You lost the battle, but won the war"

There have been so many times where my opponents have just ignored that card. I've seen players Mortify creatures over it when i'm on the cusp of winning! In this scenario, my opponent simply didn't have an answer and he was hoping that Dreadhorde would trigger first and I was fortunate enough to have survived his full on attack with 1 life.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2020-04-06 at 08:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Hello there, Magic people. I know this a hell of a long shot, but I could use some help. I've never played this game, and my boy received a "deck builder toolkit' set, and has asked me to make up some strong decks from it. It's a green set, which is apparently from something called 'Theros beyond death' if I'm reading this right. I'm doing my research into it, and being fully honest it's not clicking for me, and I'm getting confused and frantic trying to make sense of this. I had to step away, clear my head, and coming at this from another angle.

Among other things, I thought I'd try asking on some forums and see if anyone knew this set and could make suggestions. Like, he said he wants one deck to be about 'fire and poison' and my best guess is he wants red and green, but for all I know there is a 'fire and poison' theme I don't know about.

My apologies if this comes off a mess. I'm stuck at home, fighting a fever, watching 3 kids, my parents.... and I'm losing sleep trying to build decks for a card game I'm not sure how to play. I'm a tad overwhelmed, and could use any aid you could lend. Thank you for your time.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa333 View Post
    Hello there, Magic people. I know this a hell of a long shot, but I could use some help. I've never played this game, and my boy received a "deck builder toolkit' set, and has asked me to make up some strong decks from it. It's a green set, which is apparently from something called 'Theros beyond death' if I'm reading this right. I'm doing my research into it, and being fully honest it's not clicking for me, and I'm getting confused and frantic trying to make sense of this. I had to step away, clear my head, and coming at this from another angle.

Among other things, I thought I'd try asking on some forums and see if anyone knew this set and could make suggestions. Like, he said he wants one deck to be about 'fire and poison' and my best guess is he wants red and green, but for all I know there is a 'fire and poison' theme I don't know about.

My apologies if this comes off a mess. I'm stuck at home, fighting a fever, watching 3 kids, my parents.... and I'm losing sleep trying to build decks for a card game I'm not sure how to play. I'm a tad overwhelmed, and could use any aid you could lend. Thank you for your time.
    Sorry you've got a headache with this.

Let's start with the basics.

Theros: Beyond Death is the latest complete set from Wizards of the Coast for Magic: the Gathering, a Collectible Card Game. There's a couple key things to work with in that sentence. Collectible Card Game is one; this means that any given product will not have all the options available in a set. It means that most sets of cards, collected into decks, will be made of an agglomeration of a lot of different products. Having only the deckbuilder's toolkit means that most advice designed for the game will not fit well for your particular circumstances.

So, ignore 'powerful' for now, and just get you two decks that are fun to play.

Fortunately, the Deckbuilder's Toolkit has a fixed list, so we know what cards you have available to you.

In this game, decks require 60 cards. Usually, this means 24 lands, and 36 non-land cards. Because the Deckbuilder's Toolkit does not offer more than 17 cards in any individual color, it is safe to work under the assumption that you can play a deck with exactly two colors—both to keep the options sane, and because that works out well to make your choices easy for you.

Now, he wants a "fire and poison" deck. My guess is that he means red and black, since black has a skull, which represents poison in many forms of media. This gives you a pool of 17 red, 17 black, 1 multicolored, and 5 colorless cards. A total of 40 to work with, when you usually want about 36. That's fine, then; we just need to pick four cards you would like to exclude. These will probably be colorless cards, since you will want those for the second deck—the one that your son will want to play against. My recommendation for the four cards to exclude are the two traveler's amulets, the Terror of Mount Velus, and the Heraldic Banner. You can tweak these choices later.

Then add the lands. Add in 2 Bloodfell Caves, 11 Mountains, and 11 Swamps. You're done with the first of these.

Then, you need a deck to oppose him. Thematically, it makes sense to repeat the process for White/Green.

White gives you 15 white cards, 17 green, and two multicolored. If you add those together, you get 34. Add in the Heraldic Banner and one of the Traveler's Amulets, and you'll have your 36 cards.

Then add your two Blossoming Sands, 11 Forests, and 11 Plains, and you have two decks to last you until you have a bit more of a handle on how the game goes. Hopefully that can tide you over for a while.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2020-04-06 at 05:42 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

Consider reducing the deck size to 40 once you've gotten the basics down. It will allow you to actually build a deck - think about which cards are better than others, and try to beat each other by picking the best set of cards from your respective colors.

A 40 card deck should have about 17-18 lands, which leaves 22-23 nonland spells.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

13. - Top - End - #763

The new magic book is out, and this one is Actually Rather Good! Within the spoiler, see my summary and thoughts on Ikoria: Sundered Bonds.

Spoiler
    Show
    So first off I just want to note that some of the story slides on the mothership website are just wrong. Vivien doesn't teach Lukka how to use his abilities, Lukka NEVER becomes one with his monster and learns to fight in tandem. Lukka was not exiled.

Anyway, story beats; Lukka's unit gets slaughtered by his cat monster but he bonds with it. His girlfriend, Jirina Kudro sneaks him out of the city. He meets Vivien, they get attacked by Monster Hunters General Kudro sent after them (with Jirina) and have to escape. Viv and Lukka meet other bonders, learn that a planeswalker that Vivien knows is causing the monsters to go super crazy by fiddling with the crystals. We don't get to learn who the planeswalker is but blessedly it is not Oko. Lukka ends up taking the full power of the crystal into himself and saves the bonders from the monster hunters, though one of the bonders dies.

THEN THINGS GO OFF THE RAILS. Lukka is VERY happy with his newfound abilities and wants to create a monster army to protect Drannith! The other bonders are a little... concerned, that he is using them like tools, so he tries to kill them. They and Viv run off, Lukka marches his monsters on Drannith, and thanks to Vivien, the Bonders, and Jirina they are able to fight back in defense against Lukka and his monster forces. Lukka tries to make the monsters stronger, the crystal breaks severing much of his monster controlling powers, and the grief of failing to take his home back from what he beleives to be enemies causes him to ignite and end up in... somewhere. He ends up in a swamp and attacked by either wolves or panthers, it is unclear.

So yeah uh. Lukka is the villain of the book. Huh. All in all it is just a really fun book. The fight writing is pretty good, the side characters are mostly good (do not care for the bonders personally) and the drama, while... a little clunky, works. Vivien, Jirina, and Vivien are our viewpoint characters for the book, and unlike Wildered Quest they are actually rather competent at what they are doing, and actually participate in their character arcs and plots, for the most part. This isn't like the Kenriths, who are idiot teenagers who need to get picked up by the scruff of their necks by Uncle Garruk.

As always if you have any specifics please ask.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    As always if you have any specifics please ask.
    Spoiler: Baseless assumptions
    Show
    Unless it's an entirely new planeswalker, the person messing with them is probably going to be one of Koth, Nahiri, or Nissa, because those are the three who have "mess with geomancy" as their thing.

Did the book go into any deeper detail on why humans don't mutate? And if I'm seeing things correctly, is this the first plane ever where humans are the only humanoid tribe?

EDIT: Also, did it ever justify where bonders get those awesome hats? You know the ones that tell you exactly what kind of creature they bonded to?
    Last edited by Amechra; 2020-04-07 at 05:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

15. - Top - End - #765

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Spoiler: Baseless assumptions
    Show
    Unless it's an entirely new planeswalker, the person messing with them is probably going to be one of Koth, Nahiri, or Nissa, because those are the three who have "mess with geomancy" as their thing.

Did the book go into any deeper detail on why humans don't mutate? And if I'm seeing things correctly, is this the first plane ever where humans are the only humanoid tribe?

EDIT: Also, did it ever justify where bonders get those awesome hats? You know the ones that tell you exactly what kind of creature they bonded to?
    It is none of the ones you have brought up. The person is very... swarmy and refined, and is male. It is important to keep in mind the crystals are not being altered themselves, the crystals are fine. The Energies inside them are being ****ed with. The way it is explained, the crystals are a giant telepathic phone network the monsters and bonders can use. Whoever is causing the bad is mentally jamming his thoughts into the crystals and broadcasting them out to the mutants.

It is touched upon a little bit. Vivien mentions that unlike most life in the multiverse, the ecology of Ikoria shouldn't actually exist. The amount of predators to prey it has is actually not possible to sustain, so she kinda wants to study it to find out what the **** is going on here. She also mentions the crystals feel similar to the monsters, and both feel semi-unnatural. We also learn that there are like, actual animals on the plane, not just Monsters specifically. Sheep and horses exist. So it seems rather likely that the Monsters are specifiic, genetic mutations made of raw mana. Each clade has a mana associated with it (white for cats, red for dinosaurs, etc) so the monsters are just... incarnations of mana formed by the crystals, I'm guessing.

Bonders spend a long time making hats and dye so they can match their animal friend.

Innistrad had human tribal, but skaab and vampire invalidate the "humanoid" part I suppose.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-04-07 at 05:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. Honestly, I wish that whoever-it-is would shut up and let humans be chill with the mutants, because bonders are adorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

17. - Top - End - #767

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Huh. Honestly, I wish that whoever-it-is would shut up and let humans be chill with the mutants, because bonders are adorable.
    It's not really made clear if he likes Bonders or not. He just wanted to destroy Drannith specifically.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Is the name of that planeswalker causing the crystal stuff actually clearly stated, or just alluded to?
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

19. - Top - End - #769

It is literally never said in any capacity. Vivien just says it is someone like her.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler: Book info
    Show
    Oko honestly seems like the most likely option, out of the planeswalkers we know, at least. This guy's plan of using the monsters to bring down civilization is remarkably similar to Oko's plan of having the Wilds fight the Realm in Eldraine. I think his speech mannerisms are also somewhat similar. The only other similar planeswalker I could think of is maybe Tibalt, but I've never actually seen the way he talks or acts, so I don't know for sure.

21. - Top - End - #771

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Spoiler: Book info
    Show
    Oko honestly seems like the most likely option, out of the planeswalkers we know, at least. This guy's plan of using the monsters to bring down civilization is remarkably similar to Oko's plan of having the Wilds fight the Realm in Eldraine. I think his speech mannerisms are also somewhat similar. The only other similar planeswalker I could think of is maybe Tibalt, but I've never actually seen the way he talks or acts, so I don't know for sure.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tibalt definitely talks like the Crystal Fiddler to a degree. The issue is that said Fiddler also is like... apologetic at times, tries to warn Lukka off from overusing his power, and in general seems way less "lol have pain" than Tibalt and less "I'm a ****ty ****er who sucks" than Oko. So I'm thinking it is a new character.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Sorry you've got a headache with this.

Let's start with the basics.

Theros: Beyond Death is the latest complete set from Wizards of the Coast for Magic: the Gathering, a Collectible Card Game. There's a couple key things to work with in that sentence. Collectible Card Game is one; this means that any given product will not have all the options available in a set. It means that most sets of cards, collected into decks, will be made of an agglomeration of a lot of different products. Having only the deckbuilder's toolkit means that most advice designed for the game will not fit well for your particular circumstances.

So, ignore 'powerful' for now, and just get you two decks that are fun to play.

Fortunately, the Deckbuilder's Toolkit has a fixed list, so we know what cards you have available to you.

In this game, decks require 60 cards. Usually, this means 24 lands, and 36 non-land cards. Because the Deckbuilder's Toolkit does not offer more than 17 cards in any individual color, it is safe to work under the assumption that you can play a deck with exactly two colors—both to keep the options sane, and because that works out well to make your choices easy for you.

Now, he wants a "fire and poison" deck. My guess is that he means red and black, since black has a skull, which represents poison in many forms of media. This gives you a pool of 17 red, 17 black, 1 multicolored, and 5 colorless cards. A total of 40 to work with, when you usually want about 36. That's fine, then; we just need to pick four cards you would like to exclude. These will probably be colorless cards, since you will want those for the second deck—the one that your son will want to play against. My recommendation for the four cards to exclude are the two traveler's amulets, the Terror of Mount Velus, and the Heraldic Banner. You can tweak these choices later.

Then add the lands. Add in 2 Bloodfell Caves, 11 Mountains, and 11 Swamps. You're done with the first of these.

Then, you need a deck to oppose him. Thematically, it makes sense to repeat the process for White/Green.

White gives you 15 white cards, 17 green, and two multicolored. If you add those together, you get 34. Add in the Heraldic Banner and one of the Traveler's Amulets, and you'll have your 36 cards.

Then add your two Blossoming Sands, 11 Forests, and 11 Plains, and you have two decks to last you until you have a bit more of a handle on how the game goes. Hopefully that can tide you over for a while.

I cannot thank you enough for this. I may still not know what a tap/untapped means, but this helped me to get decks ready in time. Plus, he liked the Red/black deck, so I'm glad I went with that instead of the red/green I was considering. Thank you so very, very, much.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ettin in the Playground

I really wish there was a way to repeatedly (once per turn) flicker Enchantments.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa333 View Post
    I cannot thank you enough for this. I may still not know what a tap/untapped means, but this helped me to get decks ready in time. Plus, he liked the Red/black deck, so I'm glad I went with that instead of the red/green I was considering. Thank you so very, very, much.
    No worries; we're all stressed with world events.

For reference, tap just means "turned sideways", indicating that whatever resource a card on the battlefield provides is spent. You tap a mountain for its mana, and can't use it again until your next turn; this is represented by tradition as turning the card sideways until your next untap step.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I really wish there was a way to repeatedly (once per turn) flicker Enchantments.
    As someone who built a Commander deck to do exactly this, I don't really think it'd be a good thing if it was super easy. But there are ways, just maybe not in Standard. Venser, the Sojourner does it quite well.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

26. - Top - End - #776
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ikoria is amazing! If you haven't already, immediately get on Arena and use the free draft token to try it out!
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Ikoria is amazing! If you haven't already, immediately get on Arena and use the free draft token to try it out!
    I put down $24 on it, it has been great. Third draft right now, the companions are surprisingly great in limited even if they warp your deck to heck.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2020-04-17 at 12:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Maybe... once they make a Mac version of the game without me having to resort to some kind of emulator lol

29. - Top - End - #779
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

How are the commander2020 decks? Are they decentish out of the box?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    How are the commander2020 decks? Are they decentish out of the box?
    Well... The Cycle one is decent enough out of the box I believe. At least cycling is a good ability.

The one I like is the one in Temur colors however. I want Xyris as a Commander. But as for the cards inside of it, I dont think its worth the 50$ CAN... unless the mana base would cost me too much to be similar. I didnt calculate the mana base cost to be honest so once I do that, I'll know more accruratly if its worth for me to simply buy Xyris as single purchase or not.