New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

I think it's just for trying out ideas and getting some practice to prepare for the next one.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Ok, I being helping a friend in making a Modern Werewolf deck and I have the basic idea of what I wanted to suggest him but I was wondering if you guys could help me, polish the idea...

I REALLY need to fix that mana accordingly (more red then green) and I want to convince my friend The Flame of Kled could work in this deck.

I wish I could add Moonmist but I dont know what to remove... I being considering it put it in the sideboard with Rhythm of the Wild

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-0...?cb=1569674321

EDIT: Removed a Villager to put one more Mountain
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-09-28 at 08:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I’d consider dropping Ghirapur Orrery, giving opponents ways to play more lands and refill their hand is just going to make them able to consistently flip the werewolves back. I’d also recommend some dual lands. Check lands (I.e rootbound crag) should be a bit cheaper now as they are rotating out of standard. While on lands you probably want to run something like Rampant Growth over Armillary Sphere.

Also isn’t Immerwolf really good in a werewolf deck?
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2019-09-28 at 04:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    I’d consider dropping Ghirapur Orrery, giving opponents ways to play more lands and refill their hand is just going to make them able to consistently flip the werewolves back. I’d also recommend some dual lands. Check lands (I.e rootbound crag) should be a bit cheaper now as they are rotating out of standard. While on lands you probably want to run something like Rampant Growth over Armillary Sphere.

Also isn’t Immerwolf really good in a werewolf deck?
    You might be right about Orrery... I put two copies of MoonMist instead.

I put 4 Cinder Glade, 2 Stomping Grounds (dont have the budget for more then one or two) and 3 Nature's Lore. Should help the mana problem.

As for Immerwolf, its good but Spirit of the Hunt fit better the strategy I think. It synergies better with Bow of Nyssa as well and allows it to survive a few cards like Toxic Deluge. It also allows the hand to be put on the field before its your turn and use Flame of Keld.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-09-28 at 10:00 AM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

I would use this moment to apologize for my latest combo deck in Historic, which animates a God Pharaoh's Statue and then equips it with a Helm of the Host.

I would use this moment for that, but I don't want to lie.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Arena question; any word on when a draft mode for Eld with a gold entry fee will crop up? Right now the only two(traditional draft and sealed) both take gems.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I would use this moment to apologize for my latest combo deck in Historic, which animates a God Pharaoh's Statue and then equips it with a Helm of the Host.

... that's horrible!

I've got a helm of the host in my omnath, locus of rage deck, so maybe I shouldn't be the one complaining, but still :P
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

Is the Mystic Forge going to be useful in colorless decks?
    Will it allow extremely low cost spam decks(which spams a tons of low cost cards)?

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Is the Mystic Forge going to be useful in colorless decks?
    Will it allow extremely low cost spam decks(which spams a tons of low cost cards)?
    It was recently restricted in Vintage, 3 months after it was printed, because it allows Vintage artifact Storm to be bonkers.

The answer is yes, in general. In Standard? That's a different question. You probably don't have enough critical mass to make it worth it.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

So, fiddling with a Standard deck in Arena and came up with this food focused build; [boop]
    Any thoughts? It can start bringing out big beaters with as little as 3 mana, and has a little bit of ramping ability via the castle and goose.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    So, fiddling with a Standard deck in Arena and came up with this food focused build; [boop]
    Any thoughts? It can start bringing out big beaters with as little as 3 mana, and has a little bit of ramping ability via the castle and goose.
    Keep in mind that Castle Garenbrig is not a forest, and Gingerbread Cabin wants you to plat three other forests first, so I don't think you can play for of each.

Crushing Canopy seems like an awkward card to play.
    Shambling Suit seems bad, since you're gonna be sacrificing your food, and you're never gonna have that much at the time anyways.
    Not a fan of Gingerbrute. A 1/1 just isn't where the deck wants to be at.
    Oko, Thief of Crowns seems too good not to play in the food deck.
    Savvy Hunter also seems good.
    It seems worthwhile to point out that Woodland Champion triggers off your food.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

To be fair to Gingerbrute, it's a 1/1 that's also a food token. Mostly had it in there to help with the curve and provide an extra way to generate food.

Oko is a potentially good idea though, and thanks for pointing out the castle issue.

As for Crushing Canopy, it seemed like the easiest way to handle both enchantments and flyers(since otherwise my only way to block damage from a flyer is... via goose).

For the armor, my thought had been "ooh, it could serve as another big beater", since it seemed easy to get it to 4+ attack if my food isn't being consumed by other stuff... buuut you do have a point about the food-fueled cards kinda running counter to that. I'll probably swap it out. Plus I already have a lot of bigger stuff

As for Woodland Champion... wow. I hadn't noticed that synergy before. Dang that's good! Hadn't realized until now it doesn't state the tokens need to be creature ones.
    I'd also overlooked Savvy Hunter, though I'm not sure how easily it would fit in(either it or Oko, I think). I'll give it some thought overnight.
    Last edited by Togath; 2019-09-29 at 06:38 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

To be fair to Gingerbrute, it's a 1/1 that's also a food token. Mostly had it in there to help with the curve and provide an extra way to generate food.
    It's just not worth spending a card to get one food.
    Golden Egg would be better.

As for Crushing Canopy, it seemed like the easiest way to handle both enchantments and flyers(since otherwise my only way to block damage from a flyer is... via goose).
    You have 7 creatures that can fight on ETB, that seems like better ways of dealing with flyers than playing a card that is dead more than half the time.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

14. - Top - End - #374
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Arena question; any word on when a draft mode for Eld with a gold entry fee will crop up? Right now the only two(traditional draft and sealed) both take gems.
    That will start October 11, as shown on the event calendar. Incidentally, there's a link to that calendar in game on the help screen. The pattern so far is that sealed starts right away when a new set is released, Traditional Draft starts a few days later, and Ranked Draft starts two weeks after release.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2019-09-29 at 10:53 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    It's just not worth spending a card to get one food.
    Golden Egg would be better.
    You have 7 creatures that can fight on ETB, that seems like better ways of dealing with flyers than playing a card that is dead more than half the time.
    Oh yeah, I forgot those abilities could target fliers.
    Also thanks for the golden egg suggestion. Acts as food, plus can double as another rainbow mana source to bring out multi-colour stuff.
    Last edited by Togath; 2019-09-29 at 05:51 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A bit late, but I finally put together a kind of Cavalcade deck. Torbran is a good fit for it, though I'm currently out of rare/mythic wild cards and only have the one copy. When your Cavalcade missiles do 3 damage each, it's a good day.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

The most absurd card in Calvacade is 12/10 Chandra's Spitfire. Adding 3 damage to each of your Calvacade triggers is absurd, and with any burn spell it still attacks for 4 flying on its own. I don't know if you're running the card or not, but it should probably be a 4 of.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Barbarian in the Playground

Opinion on this decklist, which I found while hunting for an Eldraine B/G Midrange:

Spoiler: Decklist
    Show
    Creature (22)
    4 Gilded Goose
    $6.51
    1 Midnight Reaper
    $2.09
    1 Massacre Girl
    $0.54
    4 Rotting Regisaur
    $2.83
    3 Paradise Druid
    $0.35
    3 Murderous Rider
    $12.33
    3 Clackbridge Troll
    $1.27
    3 Questing Beast
    $18.19

Instant, Sorcery, Enchantment, Artifact (11)
    2 Assassin's Trophy
    $19.40
    3 The Great Henge
    $11.99
    4 Once Upon a Time
    $13.09
    2 Return of the Wildspeaker
    $0.70

Land (23)
    2 Castle Locthwain
    $1.99
    4 Fabled Passage
    $9.93
    3 Temple of Malady
    $1.83
    4 Overgrown Tomb
    $6.99
    5 Swamp
    $0.00
    5 Forest
    $0.00

Planeswalker (4)
    2 Garruk, Cursed Huntsman
    $13.23
    2 Vraska, Golgari Queen
    $7.00

In particular, I am looking to try and cut the price down to >$100. Preferably by cutting the fetch- and shocklands or by using cheap substitutes for the more expensive cards. (I already own one of the Garruks though, so that's not an issue).
    Last edited by Gaius Hermicus; 2019-10-01 at 08:38 PM.

Played as New Bhule in Empire!4
    Played as the Rothuun Galactic Hegemony in Empire!5
    Played as the United Blemmyae Tribes in Empire!6

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    The most absurd card in Calvacade is 12/10 Chandra's Spitfire. Adding 3 damage to each of your Calvacade triggers is absurd, and with any burn spell it still attacks for 4 flying on its own. I don't know if you're running the card or not, but it should probably be a 4 of.
    Yup. Spitfires are a central part of the deck's absurd damage potential. I've been taken down by one too many giant Spitfires to not run them myself.

Torch Courier to give them haste too, of course.

Considered Goblin Smuggler, so I can bypass blockers with my small lizards and goblins. But a 3 mana 2/2 "support" creature may dilute the deck's aggression.

If I'm reading it right, I can use the Smuggler ability on a Spitfire before it attacks and it will still be unblockable even after its card text triggers?
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm having a disgusting amount of fun with a mono-green Adventures deck in Arena right now.

Spoiler
    Show
    2 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
    4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
    4 Beanstalk Giant (ELD) 149
    4 Tuinvale Treefolk (ELD) 180
    4 Lucky Clover (ELD) 226
    4 Oakhame Ranger (ELD) 212
    4 Flaxen Intruder (ELD) 155
    5 Forest (WAR) 264
    2 Rabid Bite (M20) 190
    1 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
    1 Garenbrig Carver (ELD) 156
    17 Forest (ELD) 269
    4 Rosethorn Acolyte (ELD) 174
    3 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
    1 Questing Beast (ELD) 171

It's not complete. I'd like to get a final Lovestruck Beast, a second Questing Beast, and a second Great Henge. Garenbrig Carver should probably also go away.

It has its flaws. It can ramp by abusing Lucky Clover and Beanstalk Giant's adventure or Rosethorn Acolyte. However, it's very much a mid-range deck. Especially if you don't end up drawing into any Lucky Clover's. Honestly, Lucky Clover is the driving force behind the deck. Without it it just becomes a fairly typical mono-green with less ramp than it should have in order to work.

Still, Dropping 12x angry bear's on somebody's head while they look on in horror is glorious.

Until they get ritual of soot'd or any of the other various board wipes in standard right now.

If you're not turning Helm of the Host into a creature, Spark Doubling it, and then equipping Helm of the Host onto Helm of the Host, then you're doing something wrong. Why settle for equipping God Pharaoh's Statue with one Helm of the host when you could do two..or three...or four.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2019-10-01 at 09:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    If you're not turning Helm of the Host into a creature, Spark Doubling it, and then equipping Helm of the Host onto Helm of the Host, then you're doing something wrong. Why settle for equipping God Pharaoh's Statue with one Helm of the host when you could do two..or three...or four.
    I sort of agree, but there's only so much room in my deck. Most of it is taken by bounce spells.

EDIT: I also don't have a Spark Double, and I'm out of Wildcards.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-10-01 at 09:26 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I sort of agree, but there's only so much room in my deck. Most of it is taken by bounce spells.
    While i'm not saying that it's a good solution. Mine was to sideboard some of the artifacts that I needed and then use cards like Karn to pull them back in. It seemed moderately effective.

EDIT: I also don't have a Spark Double, and I'm out of Wildcards.
    Now here could be a problem. I'm pretty sure that Spark Double is one of the cards(if not the only card) that gets around the whole Legend rule by removing the Legendary part.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2019-10-01 at 09:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    If I'm reading it right, I can use the Smuggler ability on a Spitfire before it attacks and it will still be unblockable even after its card text triggers?
    Yep, the Smuggler’s ability only cares about the target’s power when it targets and resolves. If it gets bigger later it is still unblockable.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2019-10-01 at 09:50 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

Now here could be a problem. I'm pretty sure that Spark Double is one of the cards(if not the only card) that gets around the whole Legend rule by removing the Legendary part.
    It's one of two, and the other one isn't enough to equip one Helm of the Host to another because it is Helm of the Host.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

There’s Mirror Gallery, it that obviously wouldn’t be on Arena.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Kinda weird questionarino. Does anyone know much about the MtG novels? I'm trying to track down one I read ages ago. I... think it involved the Phyrexians? Or at least some sort of metal/mechanical corruption.
    Meow(Steam page)

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

That's from quite a while back, I think. La Zodiac is our resident lore boffin so, perhaps she can help you.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

28. - Top - End - #388
    Colossus in the Playground

Kinda weird questionarino. Does anyone know much about the MtG novels? I'm trying to track down one I read ages ago. I... think it involved the Phyrexians? Or at least some sort of metal/mechanical corruption.
    I can help with this!

Do you recall who is involved in it? Because there are a cooouple options for what book it could be, but depending on who's in it it's either the first Mirrodin block's novels, or... the second Mirrodin block novel, and the difference between those is the difference between life and death.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm!.. not actually sure. But that does narrow it down a little. Maybe I could find it via book covers? I... think there were elves in it? Not sure if that narrows anything down.

edit: FOUND IT!
    Last edited by Togath; 2019-10-03 at 06:36 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

30. - Top - End - #390
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm!.. not actually sure. But that does narrow it down a little. Maybe I could find it via book covers? I... think there were elves in it? Not sure if that narrows anything down.

edit: FOUND IT!
    I could have helped I was just asking for a little more information XP

But yeah, I figured it would be that one (because narrowing it down with the information you did give puts it to one of the three Mirrodin block novels, or Quest For Karn and if you had read Quest of Karn you'd remember it).