New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Hey, making a Golgari Midrange deck for Standard play, and I would love some input on it as I am not a very experienced deckbuilder.

Spoiler: Decklist
    Show

Creatures:

Gilded Goose x3
    Paradise Druid x3
    Syr Konrad, the Grim x2
    Rotting Regisaur x4
    Massacre Girl x2
    Clackbridge Troll x3
    Murderous Rider x3
    Storrev, Devkarin Lich x2
    Leyline Prowler x2
    God-Eternal Rhonas x2

Instants/Sorceries:

Murder x2
    Return of the Wildspeaker x2
    Bake into a Pie x2
    Spark Harvest x3

Planeswalkers:

Garruk, Cursed Huntsman x2

Lands:

Swamp x6
    Forest x5
    Jungle Hollow x4
    Temple of Malady x4

I am avoiding the shocklands due to cost. Same goes for Questing Beast and the Great Henge. The deck's design is intended to be focused around powerful midrange creatures with a bit of ramp, and a strong graveyard subtheme.

Any advice on whether it looks competitive or not would be much appreciated.

Played as New Bhule in Empire!4
    Played as the Rothuun Galactic Hegemony in Empire!5
    Played as the United Blemmyae Tribes in Empire!6

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

I guess this would be an appropriate place to ask about this...

I've been fiddling with a "for fun" format that I call Micro-Decay:

1) Players build 24 card decks. They may have up to one copy of any card other than basic lands.
    2) At the beginning of the game, each player exiles the top four cards of their library face-down. Once everyone is satisfied with their hands, turn the exiled cards face-up.
    3) Whenever a player would draw a card from an empty library, they do not lose the game. Instead, they lose one life for each player with an empty library.
    4) Laboratory Maniac and Jace, Wielder of Mysteries are banned.

Does this seem even vaguely interesting to anyone? I just wanted to make a format based around tiny decks - the pre-game exile is so games aren't always so same-y.

EDIT: I've also considered dropping the maximum hand size to five for this format. Mostly so people don't get through their decks quite so quickly.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2019-11-01 at 06:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

The deck is not competitive but it works. Your mana base will be your worst enemy though. And you forgot 4 cards. The deck is only 56 cards. I assume you mean 9 swamp/7 forest.

I feel your deck is a bit schizophrenic after playing it for 1-2 games. One part wants to be graveyard recursion and play with/ramp to Syr Konrad. One part wants to kill the opponent ASAP regardless of cost (Regisaur, Clackbridge, Rhonas).

I would decide for a theme. And I feel the cooler (and probably less expensive) way is Syr Konrad recursion. Find//Finality is a good tool, Order of Midnight, Command the Dreadhorde and ramp to Syr Konrad. Maybe Cauldron Familiar/Oven to round this out.

Basically you set up Konrad, then you manipulate the graveyard with Order, Find, Command to get Konrad's value. And even if they kill Konrad, you can recur him.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post

1) Players build 24 card decks. They may have up to one copy of any card other than basic lands.
    2) At the beginning of the game, each player exiles the top four cards of their library face-down. Once everyone is satisfied with their hands, turn the exiled cards face-up.
    3) Whenever a player would draw a card from an empty library, they do not lose the game. Instead, they lose one life for each player with an empty library.

Does this seem even vaguely interesting to anyone? I just wanted to make a format based around tiny decks - the pre-game exile is so games aren't always so same-y.

EDIT: I've also considered dropping the maximum hand size to five for this format. Mostly so people don't get through their decks quite so quickly.
    Not only is 24 cards able to grant a lot of control on what you get(even with the one of each card restriction and the exile 4 cards at start) but I can hardly see the game lasting long enough for a player to lose hp from the card limit or to find itself unable to draw cards.
    Unless someone got some sort of deck based on discarding and destroying permanents.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-11-01 at 06:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Not only is 24 cards able to grant a lot of control on what you get(even with the one of each card restriction and the exile 4 cards at start) but I can hardly see the game lasting long enough for a player to lose hp from the card limit or to find itself unable to draw cards.
    Unless someone got some sort of deck based on discarding and destroying permanents.
    I'm not sure if the life loss instead of insta-loss actually helps or hurts control decks...

Anyway, combo would be risky with the four random cards exiled. So it'd presumably be mostly aggro versus control, and I'm guessing aggro could be pretty dang pushed in this context.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    The deck is not competitive but it works. Your mana base will be your worst enemy though. And you forgot 4 cards. The deck is only 56 cards. I assume you mean 9 swamp/7 forest.

I feel your deck is a bit schizophrenic after playing it for 1-2 games. One part wants to be graveyard recursion and play with/ramp to Syr Konrad. One part wants to kill the opponent ASAP regardless of cost (Regisaur, Clackbridge, Rhonas).

I would decide for a theme. And I feel the cooler (and probably less expensive) way is Syr Konrad recursion. Find//Finality is a good tool, Order of Midnight, Command the Dreadhorde and ramp to Syr Konrad. Maybe Cauldron Familiar/Oven to round this out.

Basically you set up Konrad, then you manipulate the graveyard with Order, Find, Command to get Konrad's value. And even if they kill Konrad, you can recur him.
    Thanks! I'll definitely take this info into account. I was thinking that it was a bit disjointed, although a lot of the "stompy" cards also trigger quite well with Konrad (Regisaur in particular). I was also quite worried about the mana base, good to see that I miscounted the cards. Those extra lands will certainly come in handy.

Not sure whether or not I want to go full graveyard or not though.

Played as New Bhule in Empire!4
    Played as the Rothuun Galactic Hegemony in Empire!5
    Played as the United Blemmyae Tribes in Empire!6

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If you are going goose-> Regisaur it makes sense to then go -> Great Henge to me. That makes casting your fatties easier, gains you life and offsets the drawbacks of the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #518
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post

Have you heard of Vanishing Three Card Blind? There was a post about it a bit earlier in the thread, and it does take this idea to the extreme:

Your deck is three cards. Total. They all start in your hand. You don't lose from decking out, and all information is out in the open. We usually have 12 people or so in a round, decks competing round robin for the most points. All cards in the winning decklist, except for a few storage lands and basic lands, are banned for future rounds.

This seems like the ultimate idea you're building towards: Tiny decks, laser-focused precision, extreme deckbuilding restrictions, interesting meta.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

What's the cheapest way, ideally in Simic colors, to give Flash to a couple sorceries? It only needs to last one turn, because you won't be casting anything else afterwards. They need flash so you can cast one while the other is on the stack (since you wouldn't be able to after it resolves.)
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-11-02 at 08:02 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    What's the cheapest way, ideally in Simic colors, to give Flash to a couple sorceries? It only needs to last one turn, because you won't be casting anything else afterwards.
    Cheapest in the monetary sense, or the mana-cost sense? There's stuff like Quicken, Alchemist's Refuge, et al. But Teferi, Time Raveller (which is UW) is probably the best way.
    Last edited by Shadow of the Sun; 2019-11-02 at 08:02 PM.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Cheapest in the monetary sense, or the mana-cost sense? There's stuff like Quicken, Alchemist's Refuge, et al. But Teferi, Time Raveller (which is UW) is probably the best way.
    In the mana-cost sense. Quicken seems to be the one.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-11-02 at 08:04 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

Quicken only works for one, so if you need to get multiples, Emergence Zone might be your cheapest option. I have a funny jank deck using Wilderness Reclamation and Emergence Zone to flash out Finale of (whatever) effects.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Quicken only works for one, so if you need to get multiples, Emergence Zone might be your cheapest option. I have a funny jank deck using Wilderness Reclamation and Emergence Zone to flash out Finale of (whatever) effects.
    I only really need it for one; I'd cast either Eternal Dominion or Endless Swarm normally, then Quicken the other of the two in response to myself.

Ideally I'd already also have a certain emblem up.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Ideally I'd already also have a certain emblem up.
    You won't.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

If you want to do something silly with epic spells, look to the ‘splice onto instant or sorcery’ spells from Modern Horizons. If you splice one on to an epic spell, then each future copy of will also have the spliced text.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

16. - Top - End - #526
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    You won't.
    I'm with ninjaman on this one. That Tezzeret needs 5 turns to ult unless you bring some serious shenanigans. If you can protect him for 5 turns, you've probably already won.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    You won't.
    Consistent ulting with that card can only be achieved by Elderspelling two Planeswalkers into playing Tezzeret. So you better play Esper.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

Consistent ulting with that card can only be achieved by Elderspelling two Planeswalkers into playing Tezzeret. So you better play Esper.
    Esper? Why do I need white?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually did have an Esper planeswalker control deck for a while that would frequently win by getting a Tezzeret ult off because people would exhaust themselves dealing with the Teferis and Karns... >.>

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not saying you'll never ult Tez. But of your plan involves ulting a planeswalker that is hard to ult, with a deck not made for ulting him, on top of something else that is difficult to achieve, then that's not a plan. Either of those should be able to win by themselves.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

This video shows what I think of MTGA right now. Spark Double up to 5 Okos. And win.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-11-05 at 04:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Banned

This video shows what I think of MTGA right now. Spark Double up to 5 Okos. And win.

Spoiler
    Show
    It just got banned in Brawl. Give it time.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is the problem Oko, or just the imbalances of Planeswalkers?

If there were a R "Deal 3 damage to target creature or 6 damage to target planeswalker" would it or most other planeswalkers be a problem?

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

There's not even a red burn spell that's R-for-3 in the first place right now! Well, Skewer, but enabling spectacle against an oko deck isn't actually trivial.

I do agree that one of the big problems with planeswalkers, though, is that they're designed in such a way as to give immediate value as if the concern was that they need to be a net positive even if they get removed right away -- but there's very little removal available for them! Murderous Rider is probably the best, and that's setting you back three mana. Elderspell is a neat trick but it's pretty color-locked. Fry is a hilarious insult since it doesn't actually work, and Noxious Grasp is a godsend but still, that's four fifths of the color pie that has no answer at all to what's increasingly a meta defining permanent type.

It feels like removal in general just isn't as strong as it used to be, despite permanents getting even more valuable and more resilient. Control decks can't keep up by using counterspells, they have to use degenerate value engines like planeswalkers and high impact enchantments instead. Sigh.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2019-11-05 at 05:28 PM.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There's not even a red burn spell that's R-for-3 in the first place right now! Well, Skewer, but enabling spectacle against an oko deck isn't actually trivial.

I do agree that one of the big problems with planeswalkers, though, is that they're designed in such a way as to give immediate value as if the concern was that they need to be a net positive even if they get removed right away -- but there's very little removal available for them! Murderous Rider is probably the best, and that's setting you back three mana. Elderspell is a neat trick but it's pretty color-locked. Fry is a hilarious insult since it doesn't actually work, and Noxious Grasp is a godsend but still, that's four fifths of the color pie that has no answer at all to what's increasingly a meta defining permanent type.

It feels like removal in general just isn't as strong as it used to be, despite permanents getting even more valuable and more resilient. Control decks can't keep up by using counterspells, they have to use degenerate value engines like planeswalkers and high impact enchantments instead. Sigh.
    Yeah, and the proliferation of unremovable things isn't helping. Vehicles can't be targetted by sorcery speed critter removal, planeswalkers have never had decent removal, etc.

Spot removal should basically never cost more then what it takes out, because it doesn't progress your board state. When Vraska's Contempt was a format defining removal that should have told Wizards to tone down the proactive elements and strengthened the reactive ones. I guess they did print Assassin's Trophy as general removal, so that at least is a thing.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's the issue at it's most basic.

Scenario A)
    I cast a planeswalker, and use it to effectively draw a card.
    You kill my planeswalker with removal.

I'm now up a card on this exchange. You used a removal spell, and my card replaced itself. If we keep don't this, you will eventually run out of resources.

Scenario B)
    I cast a planeswalker, and use it to kill a creature. You now have to direct damage at my planeswalker, or it will bury you in card advantage.

I've 1 for 1'd you, but I've also 'gained life' from you attacking my permanent instead of me. 1 for 1s that gain life help control decks stabilize against aggressive decks quite well.

Scenario C)
    I cast a planeswalker. You don't have an answer. The game ends because I bury you in advantage.

Scenario D)
    I cast a planeswalker. You counter it. The game continues with 1 less threat and 1 less answer.

When planeswalkers are cheap enough to be removal, and are also viable card advantage engines (Oko, 3eferi), the game struggles because it's difficult to put viable removal for walkers below 3 Mana. If I resolve a 3 Mana card, and you have a 3 Mana answer that also resolves, we should be on even footing. These walkers don't allow that.

Basically, the worst case scenario for planeswalkers right now is 'it got countered.' That's not a good situation to be in when your threats are 3 Mana.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That isn't too different from etb creatures. Reactive decks traditionally play cheaper removal then the opponents threats and card draw to make up the advantage. No one can afford removal for all types though, and while artifacts, enchantments and graveyards have marvelous hate planeswalkers don't.

Compare <> "exile all graveyards, draw a card" to 2BB "exile target creature or planewalker."

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, but a 3/2 that drew a card is a fundamentally different kind of permanent then a permanent that requires specific removal that draws a card every X turns. Trying to compare the two is like comparing apples to oranges. Sure they're both fruit, but one has a lot more acid to burn my stomach with.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Just in standard white has Cavalier of Dawn and Conclave Tribunal. Technically it also has Ravnica at War.
    But green should probably have a Bramblecrush effect in standard.

Lack of answers to planeswalkers is a general problem, but it is increased manyfold by the immense amount of design mistakes that went into Oko.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground

People can do as a huge portion of meta decks: splash black for the sweet discarding cards(if the opponent discard their planeswalkers they are way less likely to play them) and also for some of the best removals.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-11-06 at 12:37 AM.