New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    I would remove Vildin-Pack Outcast, seven mana is enough that you have to play more mana that you often would and you probably can't activate it through one land destruction spell. Ravager Wurm feels similarly out of place in a cube where everything else is 4 mana or less.
    I think these cards would all be better in its place:
    Harbinger of the Hunt
    Blitz Hellion (actually quite cool for this format)
    Regisaur Alpha
    Ulrich of the KrallenHorde.

I would add Channeler Initiate as it is both a mana dork and a beater.
    If blue black has zombies as a theme then why isn't Cemetery Reaper in here?

Rapid Rehybridization feels really bad in this cube.
    Dreamstalker seems bad, am I missing something?
    Convincing Mirage is a terrible card.
    If zombies is a theme why is Gutterbones in here instead of Gravecrawler?
    I'm not sold on Mob in this.
    Whipflare should be Pyroclasm.
    I'd replace Skin Invasion with something else.
    Talons of Wildwood is really week without any enchantment synergy.
    Enigma Drake seems to be too small too much of the time.

Steel Leaf Champion is too difficult to cast in this cube.
    Vilden-Pack Outcast is a payoff card for the ramp deck but is definitely on the weak side. It's been on the chopping block for a while. The idea was that there are payoff cards that the ramp deck can pick up that the other decks probably wouldn't be able to cast, so they're more likely to wheel to the player picking up the dorks; that's why they're so expensive. Ravager Wurm has been pretty decent since it usually eats something and then presents a solid threat, but the outcast is probably getting cut next rotation.
    It's been last or second to last pick a lot, and hasn't made the cuts in most of the decks it's been drafted in. Blitz Hellion is radical and would be perfect for the format, so I'm going to try to track down a copy.

I actually have a copy of Channler Initiate in my maybeboard for the cube! It's been tough finding space for things since the cube is so small; the maybeboard is literally bigger than the cube. Too much cool stuff, not enough space.

Zombies has Havengul Runebinder instead of Cemetary Reaper, and also has Diregraf Captain. I'm leery of adding a third lord because the deck is already quite strong but I could see the argument being made for redundancy. On a related note, Gravecrawler isn't in the cube because I don't own a copy and have tried to not intentionally spend money on the cube, but I have been trying to trade for one.

Hybridization is in the cube because I wanted to include cards where the drawback is weighted differently due to the format. It's valuable as a 1 mana answer to any creature, but a number of the creatures you want to kill are dangerous for utility, not size, meaning you have to accept the fact that you now have a 3/3 beater to deal with.

Dreamstalker has a FAT butt for 2 mana. It's a card that the slower decks might want to clog the ground until they can stabilize, and it can be used to reset ETB effects or clear away pacifism-type effects.

I think you're sleeping on Mirage! Even though you don't get to draw like with Spreading Seas, it lets you guaranteed hose a greedy mana base and it cripples the Karoo lands, which are very powerful. I'll concede that it's much more of a sideboard card than Seas because without the cantrip you need to be playing it because you really want the effect, but strong sideboard options are good because changing cards is a much larger percentage change than in other formats and you're much more likely to draw them.

Mob has been decent; I'd like to play with it more before I make a final decision.

Whipflare/Pyroclasm is pretty much the same because the only creature that Pyroclasm would kill that Whipflare doesn't is Lore Seeker. Also, set foil!

Skin Invasion was a choice to try to give red a way to force utility creatures into combat and receive a one mana 3/4 as a reward, but in practice it's been pretty lackluster. I'm open to suggestions for replacements on this one.

Talons of Wildwood is certainly no Rancor, but it gives trample, which is huge for the decks that want to play big creatures-there are a LOT of ways to gum up the board in this format, so it gives a way to punch through tokens and mother of runes and stuff. Also of note is that unless it gets exiled, it will always come back, so if you have the mana you're guaranteed value out of it.

Drake *has* been kind of unexciting, but sometimes all you need is a three mana 3/4. It could probably be something more punchy though.

Steel Leaf is highly color restrictive, so it's more of a build-around card if you find it early. And boy, is it worth it; monogreen is a deck you can draft and this card is a terror to see on turn 2 if curved out of a dork. Also, it's still fine to splash a second color due to the Karoos and due to how likely you are to draw your splash land.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

I need opinions on the following idea. I want to play as Not-Oko in my upcoming Pathfinder Kingmaker PbP campaign. I don't want to overdo the joke but I feel a Sylvan Sorcerer (basically a Fey sorcerer with an elk companion) is incredibly flavorful. Of course my spell selection would focus on creating food, polymorphing my enemies and friends (as well as summoning more animals/various elks). I don't want the personality of Oko to overtake my character however but I want to genuinely RP a chaotic trickster faerie.

Do you think the idea of "fey with elk companion" is a tired joke that gets old? I consider myself a rather "Vorthos"-esque player that enjoys decks that works on a subtheme of the expansion in question that could feasably be used to tell a story, such as Dimir Midrange Surveil or pre-rotation Discover Golgari Midrange. (The idea of getting so much psychic energy that you can unshackle the Thoughtbound Phantasms from their host bodies and buff the Spy Bugs/cooperate with Doom Whisperers in turn for your life force (pay life to surveil is so awesome.) So I enjoy a deck or legendary creature purely for flavor reasons. Similarly I enjoyed the premade brawl decks because they all heavily play with the ideas of the commanders (Chulane telling stories of monsters, Korvold eating entire feasts, tokens and even lands or Alela attracting tiny Faeries with shiny objects). But in the same lane I don't want to overburden my DM with potentially arcane jokes about food, elks and stupid sexy planeswalkers.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    I actually have a copy of Channler Initiate in my maybeboard for the cube! It's been tough finding space for things since the cube is so small; the maybeboard is literally bigger than the cube. Too much cool stuff, not enough space.
    I would cut Joiner Adept for it.

Zombies has Havengul Runebinder instead of Cemetary Reaper, and also has Diregraf Captain. I'm leery of adding a third lord because the deck is already quite strong but I could see the argument being made for redundancy. On a related note, Gravecrawler isn't in the cube because I don't own a copy and have tried to not intentionally spend money on the cube, but I have been trying to trade for one.
    The cube has literally two synergy cards for zombies. That's not an archetype.
    And return from extinction I guess.

Dreamstalker has a FAT butt for 2 mana. It's a card that the slower decks might want to clog the ground until they can stabilize, and it can be used to reset ETB effects or clear away pacifism-type effects.
    That just seems bad. If you want a butt there are way better cards, and if you want a blink there are way better cards.

I think you're sleeping on Mirage! Even though you don't get to draw like with Spreading Seas, it lets you guaranteed hose a greedy mana base and it cripples the Karoo lands, which are very powerful. I'll concede that it's much more of a sideboard card than Seas because without the cantrip you need to be playing it because you really want the effect, but strong sideboard options are good because changing cards is a much larger percentage change than in other formats and you're much more likely to draw them.
    That's not the kind of card I would want in this type of cube.

Mob has been decent; I'd like to play with it more before I make a final decision.
    I think I would have murderous cut instead.

Whipflare/Pyroclasm is pretty much the same because the only creature that Pyroclasm would kill that Whipflare doesn't is Lore Seeker. Also, set foil!
    The problem is cubes need to be intuitive. When people read the nonartifact text on Whipflare they think it's relevant.

Talons of Wildwood is certainly no Rancor, but it gives trample, which is huge for the decks that want to play big creatures-there are a LOT of ways to gum up the board in this format, so it gives a way to punch through tokens and mother of runes and stuff. Also of note is that unless it gets exiled, it will always come back, so if you have the mana you're guaranteed value out of it.
    It still seems really weak. There has to be better trample enablers around.
    If you had aura synergy I can see it being good enough.

Drake *has* been kind of unexciting, but sometimes all you need is a three mana 3/4. It could probably be something more punchy though.
    A 3/4 that requires you to play two colors, and cries against graveyard hate is pretty terrible though.
    Gelectrode, Frostburn Weird, Izzet Guildmage, all seem better, though Izzet don't have that many cards that would be good in this format.

Steel Leaf is highly color restrictive, so it's more of a build-around card if you find it early. And boy, is it worth it; monogreen is a deck you can draft and this card is a terror to see on turn 2 if curved out of a dork. Also, it's still fine to splash a second color due to the Karoos and due to how likely you are to draw your splash land.
    If you're going to reward people for playing mono you shouldn't be doing it in just one color though.

The archetypes should all have roughly the same level of specificity. Equipment is for instance much harder to do than aggro. Some of the more specific ones also don't have sufficient support.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2019-11-16 at 04:15 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #634

I would cut Joiner Adept for it.

The cube has literally two synergy cards for zombies. That's not an archetype.
    And return from extinction I guess.

That just seems bad. If you want a butt there are way better cards, and if you want a blink there are way better cards.

That's not the kind of card I would want in this type of cube.

I think I would have murderous cut instead.

The problem is cubes need to be intuitive. When people read the nonartifact text on Whipflare they think it's relevant.

It still seems really weak. There has to be better trample enablers around.
    If you had aura synergy I can see it being good enough.

A 3/4 that requires you to play two colors, and cries against graveyard hate is pretty terrible though.
    Gelectrode, Frostburn Weird, Izzet Guildmage, all seem better, though Izzet don't have that many cards that would be good in this format.

If you're going to reward people for playing mono you shouldn't be doing it in just one color though.

The archetypes should all have roughly the same level of specificity. Equipment is for instance much harder to do than aggro. Some of the more specific ones also don't have sufficient support.
    Joiner seems like a fair cut. It's mostly there to help enable the five color decks like the Hymn of the Wilds, Emissary's Ploy, and Chamber Sentry decks.

Dreamstalker has actually played fairly well, but it *is* a low draft pick...I'll start searching for alternatives.

I think this one is a difference of opinion. I've seen it played to great effect.

Cut is probably better than Mob, but I'll have to track down a copy first.

That's a pretty good point! I should make that swap, then.

It's slow for sure, but it's not bad. There *are* a few other options for that slot; Cartouche of Strength, Ferocity of the Wilds, Mob Mentality, and Nylea all seem alright. But I do want to try to not replace cards with betters cards if it's constnatly creeping the acerage CMC of the cube upwards; I had that problem for a bit and it made the format a little too durdley.

Spellslinger is tough to do on both a money *and* mana budget. It's probably the weakest Izzet card, but I'd be unsure what to put in it's spot. Maybe something like Adeliz?

Supporting all the archetypes equally has been a real challenge. The Equipment archetype in particular is tough since other decks can decide they want the sticks as well and you're left with bad creatures that don't do anything; the most recent change was to add the color equipment from M20. I'm probably going to try to squeeze Embercleave and either Godsend or Mace of the Valiant as the next step to try to curb that issue if the deck continues to under-perform.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

It's slow for sure, but it's not bad. There *are* a few other options for that slot; Cartouche of Strength, Ferocity of the Wilds, Mob Mentality, and Nylea all seem alright. But I do want to try to not replace cards with betters cards if it's constnatly creeping the acerage CMC of the cube upwards; I had that problem for a bit and it made the format a little too durdley.
    Fists of Ironwood costs the same and also supports the tokens archetype.

Spellslinger is tough to do on both a money *and* mana budget. It's probably the weakest Izzet card, but I'd be unsure what to put in it's spot. Maybe something like Adeliz?
    Wizards could work as the Izzet archetype. There is a lot of support, but unfortunately a lot of it draws cards which isn't as good in this.

Supporting all the archetypes equally has been a real challenge. The Equipment archetype in particular is tough since other decks can decide they want the sticks as well and you're left with bad creatures that don't do anything; the most recent change was to add the color equipment from M20. I'm probably going to try to squeeze Embercleave and either Godsend or Mace of the Valiant as the next step to try to curb that issue if the deck continues to under-perform.
    I tried drafting the boros equipment in one of my drafts and it was actually easier than I expected.
    There is too few red cards that support it though. I can see Goblin Graveleer was cut. Champion of the Flame also works. Kazuul's Toll Collector and Valduk, Keeper of the Flame too. I was also surprised by the lack of Kor Duelist.

Aggro is surprisingly poorly supported.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2019-11-17 at 05:07 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm just gonna stop by to brag about something, then vanish again:

I recently won an Arena match against one of the Arena devs. The one named "OrangeJulius" specifically.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #637

Fists of Ironwood costs the same and also supports the tokens archetype.

Wizards could work as the Izzet archetype. There is a lot of support, but unfortunately a lot of it draws cards which isn't as good in this.

I tried drafting the boros equipment in one of my drafts and it was actually easier than I expected.
    There is too few red cards that support it though. I can see Goblin Graveleer was cut. Champion of the Flame also works. Kazuul's Toll Collector and Valduk, Keeper of the Flame too. I was also surprised by the lack of Kor Duelist.

Aggro is surprisingly poorly supported.

Fists is probably the best bet. Although tokens is already pretty strong. Dragon Fangs might also be interesting if I can squeeze another six drop into that section.

Yeah, it's pretty tricky. Maybe I should do artifacts or something? there's some nice cross-pair synergy with the equipment section.

Gaveleer got cut mostly because it kept dying after a single swing. Champion would probably be much better, although Valduk has been in and out over the past few months, so maybe it's time for him to go back in. Duelist was a little too feast or famine for my liking-either you dropped bonesplitter on it and smashed or it was just a 1/1 with no text.

That's an interesting take! I've found several aggro decks have done well, although maybe I should take a closer look when they don't. What makes you say that?

Also! Some changes have been made, based on recent drafts (and feedback from people, yourself included. Hooray, you helped!):

Spoiler: Changelog
    Show
    Dream Stalker -> Compelling Deterrence
    This change was made to add more zombie support, and because Stalker has in fact been under-performing. Also, it slows down games a bit too much when it does see play.

Vilden-Pack Outcast -> Smoldering Werewolf
    Outcast has been last-picked too many times, and it almost never flips. Smoldering werewolf is cheaper to both cast and transform, so it's more likely both will happen, and it has a useful ETB as well.

Convincing Mirage->Hypnotic Sprite
    This change was made both because fliers could use another card and because Mirage has been slowly sliding down the pick order. Even if the win rate on Mirage has been high, if it's not a FUN card, it needs to come out.

Joiner Adept -> Beastcaller Savant
    Adept has turned out to not be terribly useful-it's supposed to enable some of the neato five-color decks, but is very low impact and has tended to die quickly. Savant does something similar, but it trades additional ramp for restricted use, which I think leads to much more interesting deck building (and is more useful overall),

Skin Invasion -> Fae of Wishes
    Not only was Invasion performing poorly, red was over-represented, while blue was under-represented. Fae is a really cool card and I'm excited to try it out. It should support some of the cool toolbox decks.

Revoke Existence -> Legacy's Allure
    For similar reasons as Skin invasion, I'm removing a white card for a blue card here. Revoke is redundant with several other effects, and so will not be missed terribly. Allure is powerful, but slow, and can be played around by clever players.

Gutterbones -> Gravecrawler
    We finally found a copy, bois!

Also, once again, here's the link, for interested people who have not had a chance to draft this cube: Fifteen Card Highlander
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm digging the changes.

That's an interesting take! I've found several aggro decks have done well, although maybe I should take a closer look when they don't. What makes you say that?
    Diregraf Ghoul, Dread Wanderer and Gravecrawler are the only good 1 drops for the aggro decks in here, and both aggro and zombies fight over them.
    Rigging Runner isn't a one drop since you want to attack with something before playing it.
    Tin Street Dodger and Frenzied Goblin are fine as your third one drop on turn 2, but not very impressive as your first one drop on turn 1.
    The lack of good one drops makes both Stormblood Berserker and Mogg Flunkies that much worse. Wretched Anurid is fine, but not impressive, and again also sought by the zombie deck. Grenzo is good. None of the red three drops are good aggro cards. Bloodfray giant is too expensive and too weak.

Inexpensive red one drops I'd rather to see:
    Stromkirk Noble
    Fanatical Firebrand
    Firedrinker Satyr
    Lightning Berserker
    Legion Loyalist
    Stone Wright
    Zurgo Bellstriker

I guess even something like Goblin Glory Chaser, Monastery Swiftspear, Reckless Waif or Vexing Devil.

Rakdos Cackler also probably belongs in here.

For the two drops I'd prefer:
    Borderland Marauder
    Crimson Muckwader
    Deranged Welp
    Gore-House Chainwalker
    Kari Zev
    Lightning Mauler
    Orcish Hellraiser
    Slavering Nulls
    War-Name Aspirant
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2019-11-26 at 07:30 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Im poking the here to see if people are interested in themed EDH deck...

How much competitive do you like your deck?

Here's a scale:

Competitive (winning in turn 2 to 4): 9-10
    Optimized: 7-8
    Focused: 5-6
    Casual: 3-4
    Jank: 1-2

===================

I have one themed EDH deck that I would evaluate in the focused section (5-6) and I was wondering if others have such decks too here on the GITP forums.

If their is others like me, I was wondering if it would be interesting to try to guess the theme of each others deck by posting a decklist of our decks? Would that kind of game interest people on this forum?

===================

Is there something MTG related that will be released in December by the way?
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-11-29 at 02:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Firbolg in the Playground

How does Soul Seperator on a Clone work?
    What's the P/T of the resulting token?

Am working on a Brudiclad + Helm of the Host deck and these cards will likely eventually interact.
    (ideas for irregular token generation also welcome)

11. - Top - End - #641
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    How does Soul Seperator on a Clone work?
    What's the P/T of the resulting token?

Am working on a Brudiclad + Helm of the Host deck and these cards will likely eventually interact.
    (ideas for irregular token generation also welcome)
    I haven't investigated in depth, but I think you get a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except 1/1, also a Spirit, and flying - assuming that you use Clone's ability. If you decline that option, you get a 1/1 flying blue Shapeshifter Spirit.

Either way, the zombie token is 0/0 and immediately dies if you don't have something boosting its toughness.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #642
    Colossus in the Playground

Theros: Beyond Death stuff incoming. Time for some mechanics!

ESCAPE: A keyword, a card (note CARD, it can be on things other than creatures) can escape by exiling a stated amount of cards from the graveyard and paying a cost, typically more expensive. Often comes in with a bonus. Highlight is that Elspeth's card has it.

CONSTELLATION: It's back, and basically the same. Woo. Enchantment creatures back as well obviously.

DEVOTION: It's what you'd expect, but they're playing around with it more. Daxos is real devoted to those white butts.

SAGAS: Hell yeah Sagas are back. They're a perfect fit for Theros both mechanically and flavorfully.

That all aside... Magic Legends, the Magic the Gathering Action MMORPG was announced. Beta sign ups are at PlayMagicLegends.com/beta so go get em!

13. - Top - End - #643
    Bugbear in the Playground

Constellation is on non-enchantment permanents this time round, which is new.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Constellation is on non-enchantment permanents this time round, which is new.
    I had actually not realized it was only on enchantments last go around. Cool, this'll make the as-fan for it way higher and thus it'll feel more enchantmenty a set.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Being slowly introduced to Pionner...

Sigh, I like the fact its slower then Modern but I cant find a deck that suit me.

At first I was thinking buying Monastery Mentor. Bought 3 copies when they were at 10$, now they are like 30$ each.

I had put my Modern deck project on the side as I was introduced and fall in love with COmmander format.

Now, I discovered that Pionner is the better verion of Modern. No costly fetch land is a awesome banning.

However, Monastery Mentor STILL isnt viable in Pionner I think?

I was thinking making a good Pionner deck but the only good Pionner deck I saw were all about COntrol, with cards I would have to buy a lot or that I dont like...

Pionner range of victory should be aimed to be around turn 5 or 6 right?

I was thinking making a spellslinger Monastery Mentor deck. I have two copies of Primal Amulet too for it, cards to slow the opponent too. I was thinking of cards like Render Silent, Failure/Comply, Depose/Deploy. I have one copy of Narset, Parter of Veils and Brazen Borrower I could put in there too. Augur Of Bolas seem like a nice blocker too.

If Monastery Monk isnt good anymore for either Modern or Pionner, Im strongly considering selling my copies...

=======

On a sidenote, I wish Oathbreaker had being more popular where I live... I made a deck for it but it never rose up the ground. The only time they tried it, not evenou people went for the event. Im guilty of it but I had good reasons since I was very sick .

16. - Top - End - #646
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Being slowly introduced to Pionner...

Sigh, I like the fact its slower then Modern but I cant find a deck that suit me.

At first I was thinking buying Monastery Mentor. Bought 3 copies when they were at 10$, now they are like 30$ each.

I had put my Modern deck project on the side as I was introduced and fall in love with COmmander format.

Now, I discovered that Pionner is the better verion of Modern. No costly fetch land is a awesome banning.

However, Monastery Mentor STILL isnt viable in Pionner I think?

I was thinking making a good Pionner deck but the only good Pionner deck I saw were all about COntrol, with cards I would have to buy a lot or that I dont like...

Pionner range of victory should be aimed to be around turn 5 or 6 right?

I was thinking making a spellslinger Monastery Mentor deck. I have two copies of Primal Amulet too for it, cards to slow the opponent too. I was thinking of cards like Render Silent, Failure/Comply, Depose/Deploy. I have one copy of Narset, Parter of Veils and Brazen Borrower I could put in there too. Augur Of Bolas seem like a nice blocker too.

If Monastery Monk isnt good anymore for either Modern or Pionner, Im strongly considering selling my copies...

=======

On a sidenote, I wish Oathbreaker had being more popular where I live... I made a deck for it but it never rose up the ground. The only time they tried it, not evenou people went for the event. Im guilty of it but I had good reasons since I was very sick .
    Its hard for stores to support 'quirky' formats because that space costs rent money every day and setting it aside for an event with nobody showing is just lost money. So unless there is a strong following, Oathbreaker, Frontier, Tiny Leaders, etc. would have a hard time getting off the ground. Its also not in the best interest of a store to diversify the format offering too much by listening to vocal 'I wanna try this new thing' people, because they'll tire after a while and through regular attrition, a loss of 4 players that would've gotten your 22 people scene down to 18, now kills one of your 10-people scenes and leaves the other in life support.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

LansXero: True, I understand your point. I gave up on Oathbreaker anyway. But now, Im hoping to join the Pioneer train and as my post stated, I would need some advices...

Mainly, is Monastery Mentor good in Pionner format? I was thinking only using white/blue but i can see how putting red in there could be useful for a spellslinger deck.

Was thinking of putting maybe Hero of Precinct One and use multicolored spells like Azorius Charm , Depose/Deploy and Warrant // Warden, Dovin's Veto and Render Silent...

3x Monastery Mentor
    3x Hero of the Precinct One
    3x Smuggler Copter
    3x Cultivator's Caravan
    3x Reflector Mage
    3x Deputy of Acquittals
    3x Inquisitive Puppet

4x Azorius Charm
    4x Depose // Deploy
    4x Dovin's Veto
    4x Render Silent
    4x Warrant // Warden
    4x Brave the Elements

2x Primal Amulet

And the rest I wouldnt know...

EDIT: I discovered the Infinite "Thopter combo" and I would be interested i joining this with a spellslinger strategy... Im not sure about making it infinite (and Panharmonicon cost a lot) but this has potential I think...

4x Whirler Virtuoso
    4x Deconction Module
    3x Monastery Mentor
    4x Young Pyromancer
    4x Impact Tremors
    4x Depose/Deploy
    4x Inquisitive Puppet
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-12-17 at 07:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Its hard for stores to support 'quirky' formats because that space costs rent money every day and setting it aside for an event with nobody showing is just lost money. So unless there is a strong following, Oathbreaker, Frontier, Tiny Leaders, etc. would have a hard time getting off the ground. Its also not in the best interest of a store to diversify the format offering too much by listening to vocal 'I wanna try this new thing' people, because they'll tire after a while and through regular attrition, a loss of 4 players that would've gotten your 22 people scene down to 18, now kills one of your 10-people scenes and leaves the other in life support.
    Oathbreaker also has the issue that decks are going to look very same-y after a while. While there are 189 different Oathbreaker-legal Planeswalkers, a lot of them are mono-color, and some colors have many more choices to pick from than others. Heck, make that "choices at all" - you can't go straight Sultai in Oathbreaker.

Fun fact: here are all of the Planeswalkers who have 10 or more cards representing them, including Sparkers (before we head back to Theros, that is):

14 - Chandra
    12 - Ajani
    11 - Jace
    10 - Liliana

Gideon and Nissa each have 8. Sarkhan, Sorin, and Tezzeret have 7, Garruk and Vraska have 6. Nicol Bolas and Vivien have 5.

Most other Planeswalkers top out at 3-4 cards. But still - that's 106 cards. Accounting for the six Sparkers (Gatewatch + Bolas), that's 100 out of the 189 options for Oathbreaker taken up by 13 characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

LansXero: True, I understand your point. I gave up on Oathbreaker anyway. But now, Im hoping to join the Pioneer train and as my post stated, I would need some advices...

Mainly, is Monastery Mentor good in Pionner format? I was thinking only using white/blue but i can see how putting red in there could be useful for a spellslinger deck.

Was thinking of putting maybe Hero of Precinct One and use multicolored spells like Azorius Charm , Depose/Deploy and Warrant // Warden, Dovin's Veto and Render Silent...

EDIT: I discovered the Infinite "Thopter combo" and I would be interested i joining this with a spellslinger strategy... Im not sure about making it infinite (and Panharmonicon cost a lot) but this has potential I think...

4x Whirler Virtuoso
    4x Deconction Module
    3x Monastery Mentor
    4x Young Pyromancer
    4x Impact Tremors
    4x Depose/Deploy
    4x Inquisitive Puppet
    I think MM is good with free spells, which Pioneer is short on. Vintage is comboed with Mox, Legacy with Sensei's Top and Force of Will. Modern has too much removal and is too fast for it, Pioneer lacks support cards.

If Summer Veil hadn't eaten a ban I could see running Veil, Mentor, Blossoming Defense and defending it that way as the top of an aggressive deck but just defense isn't enough IMO.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

20. - Top - End - #650
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Fun fact: here are all of the Planeswalkers who have 10 or more cards representing them, including Sparkers (before we head back to Theros, that is):

14 - Chandra
    12 - Ajani
    11 - Jace
    10 - Liliana

Gideon and Nissa each have 8. Sarkhan, Sorin, and Tezzeret have 7, Garruk and Vraska have 6. Nicol Bolas and Vivien have 5.

Most other Planeswalkers top out at 3-4 cards. But still - that's 106 cards. Accounting for the six Sparkers (Gatewatch + Bolas), that's 100 out of the 189 options for Oathbreaker taken up by 13 characters.
    So, Oath breaker will likely not be as samey as you think. Due to budget issues, 3 players in our play group ended up making a red/white Nahiri deck using the war of the spark Nahiri. Turns out each deck is wildly different, up too and including the signature spell. One is a go wide token strategy, one is a voltron equipment deck and one is a Tribal deck that takes advantage of her first stike ability.

On a related bit, I made a Chandra Super-friends Oath breaker deck. There's all 14 Chandras and one Jaya for flavor's sake. Turn's out no one else wants to do any Chandra decks, because I have made them kind of sick of them.

We do need more color combinations for Planeswalkers though.
    Last edited by Ornithologist; 2019-12-17 at 06:18 PM.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I think MM is good with free spells, which Pioneer is short on. Vintage is comboed with Mox, Legacy with Sensei's Top and Force of Will. Modern has too much removal and is too fast for it, Pioneer lacks support cards.

If Summer Veil hadn't eaten a ban I could see running Veil, Mentor, Blossoming Defense and defending it that way as the top of an aggressive deck but just defense isn't enough IMO.
    Interesting... from what you told me, I have a few solutions.

Deputy of Acquittals can save my Monastery Mentor in a pinch. I put Two vehicles in there and Inquisitive Puppet to have a reliable way to trigger Monastery Mentor. And Brave the Elements would protect ALL my white creatures.

Would REALLY love some feedback on THIS list, Im quite proud of it! Its a Blue/White deck. My only problem now is the manabase...

3x Monastery Mentor
    3x Smuggler Copter
    2x Cultivator's Caravan
    2x Reflector Mage
    3x Deputy of Acquittals
    4x Inquisitive Puppet

4x Azorius Charm
    4x Depose // Deploy
    4x Dovin's Veto
    3x Render Silent
    4x Warrant // Warden
    4x Brave the Elements

2x Radiant Destiny

2x Primal Amulet

EDIT: I added Radiant Destiny in there to give them a little boost...
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-12-17 at 10:13 PM.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

3x Monastery Mentor
    Any reason you aren't playing the full 4?

This also seems like the kind of card that if it is good enough to play in the deck, it's good enough to play 4 of.

3x Smuggler Copter
    Banned in Pioneer

2x Cultivator's Caravan
    I'm wondering if the crew 3 is too hard for this deck.

2x Reflector Mage
    I think you'll want to play more than 2 Reflector Mages.

3x Deputy of Acquittals
    This seems good, though you have so many 4 drops.

4x Inquisitive Puppet
    This card doesn't seem good enough.

4x Azorius Charm
    This is too defensive for what your deck wants to do.

4x Depose // Deploy
    I think this card works for this sort of deck, but I don't think you want a full playset.

4x Dovin's Veto
    This seems more like a sideboard card.

3x Render Silent
    It's a counterspell that triggers the hero, but it's less impressive that other options. Hero becomes less impressive when you have to play worse cards in order to trigger it.

4x Warrant // Warden
    It might be the the best way to get this kind of effect for this deck, but I'm not impressed by the card. I don't think you want to play 4.

4x Brave the Elements
    Definitely play this. I hadn't even thought of that.

2x Radiant Destiny
    Sadly doesn't pump the monks.

2x Primal Amulet
    Too many of your spells aren't affected by this, that makes the card very poor.

This was a quick bad idea I had for a Monastery Mentor deck:

4x Atarka's Command
    4x Blossoming Defense
    4x Boros Charm
    4x Deeproot Champion
    4x Gods Willing
    4x Monastery Mentor
    4x Monastery Swiftspear
    4x Seeker of the Way
    4x Soul-Scar Mage
    4x Wild Slash

You might also be able to do a token deck. Something like this:

3x Conclave Tribunal
    3x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    3x History of Benalia
    3x Kykar, Wind's Fury
    4x Legion's Landing
    4x Monastery Mentor
    4x Opt
    4x Raise the Alarm
    3x Saheeli, Sublime Artificer
    2x Secure the Wastes
    4x Young Pyromancer

But it's very possible both of those are just going to be straight up better without the mentor.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2019-12-18 at 06:04 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Monastery Mentor pump for any noncreature spell. So enchantement and non-artifact creatures STILL pump the monk.

On that regard, Maybe Legion Landing is better as it still pump the monk and give me early drop creature.

Dovin's Veto is actually very good because I have lots of cards to get rid of creatures and put them on top of opponent deck. The goal it to make them unable to get answers.

However, you had very good advices. I'll remove the spellslinger part. Reflector Mage truly deserve to have 4 of them.

Also, the combo of Reflector Mage - Deputy of Acquittals and Hero of Precinct One is too good to pass up.

The main reason that I only put 3 copy of the monk in the deck is because I only own 3 and that 4 would be too much for what the deck wanna do.

3x Monastery Mentor
    4x Hero of Precinct One
    4x Reflector Mage
    4x Deputy of Acquittals

3x Legion's Landing

4x Depose // Deploy
    3x Dovin's Veto
    2x Render Silent
    4x Warrant // Warden
    3x Brave the Elements

2x Radiant Destiny

EDIT: I had to remove some cards because I want 24 lands. Romoved Azorius Charm entirely.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-12-18 at 08:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

Monastery Mentor pump for any noncreature spell. So enchantement and non-artifact creatures STILL pump the monk.
    Playing Radiant Destiny pumps the monks, but it doesn't pump when it's on field unless you name monk.

On that regard, Maybe Legion Landing is better as it still pump the monk and give me early drop creature.
    I think it's good with Mentor but I'm not sure if the rest of your deck can flip it well enough.

Also, the combo of Reflector Mage - Deputy of Acquittals and Hero of Precinct One is too good to pass up.
    What is the combo?

The main reason that I only put 3 copy of the monk in the deck is because I only own 3 and that 4 would be too much for what the deck wanna do.
    He's gonna be the best card in the deck, and he's the kind of card where you want to go "answer this or die". You definitely want 4 of him. He is better than all your other cards.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #655
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hero of Precinct One is only really worth running in a list if your nonland cards are almost all multicoloured (except Hero). If you want to play Hero + Mentor, I'd say you probably should have every other nonland card in your deck be a multicoloured noncreature spell.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Ninjaman: Good point... I was planning on choosing humans for the boost but I just realized the tokens Monastery Mentor create arent human, only monks. I think I'll change it for Stoneforge Masterwork.

Stoneforge Masterwork will get boost for each monks and each other humans I control. Since all my creatures spells are human, and that Monastery Mentor is a human AND a Monk, it will boost itself quickly.

The combo I was speaking about is not super awesome but its good anyway. Deputy of Acquittals can return Reflector mage into my hand on the opponent turn, so I can use its ability one more time. Also, if Hero of the Precent One is in play, both of those cards count as multicolored so it will give me tokens as I play them.

Im not sure Monastery Monk is the best card to be honest. Its sneakily the Hero of Precinct One. If you look at all my instants and creatures, almost all of them are multicolored.

3x Monastery Mentor
    4x Hero of Precinct One
    4x Reflector Mage
    4x Deputy of Acquittals

3x Legion's Landing

4x Depose // Deploy
    3x Dovin's Veto
    2x Render Silent
    4x Warrant // Warden
    3x Brave the Elements

2x Stoneforge Masterwork
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-12-18 at 09:34 AM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    So, Oath breaker will likely not be as samey as you think. Due to budget issues, 3 players in our play group ended up making a red/white Nahiri deck using the war of the spark Nahiri. Turns out each deck is wildly different, up too and including the signature spell. One is a go wide token strategy, one is a voltron equipment deck and one is a Tribal deck that takes advantage of her first stike ability.

On a related bit, I made a Chandra Super-friends Oath breaker deck. There's all 14 Chandras and one Jaya for flavor's sake. Turn's out no one else wants to do any Chandra decks, because I have made them kind of sick of them.

We do need more color combinations for Planeswalkers though.
    That's good to hear. At that point, I was just kinda curious about how the cards were distributed. But seriously - someone must really love Bisexual Fire Wizard¹ and Mighty Cat Man. I would have thought that Jace or Liliana would be second.

As for colors...

We have:

26 in mono-Red, 21 in mono-White and mono-Blue, 20 in mono-Green, and 17 in mono-Black. In the color pairs, we have Gruul leading with 10, Azorius and Izzet with 9 each, Orzhov, Golgari, and Simic with 7, Dimir and Selesnya with 6, and Rakdos and Boros with 5 each.

In color triples, Grixis has 4, Bant has 2, and Esper, Jund, and Temur have 1 each. There are no options for Abzan, Jeskai, Mardu, Naya, or Sultai.

Oh, and colorless has 5.

Sarkhan has the largest number of distinct color identities on his cards - he has been R, BR, RG, and URG. Ajani (W, RW, and GW) and Tamiyo (U, GU, and GWU) both have 3. All of the other Planeswalkers? Two at most.

I'd go through and look at how many distinct archetypes each color has, but that'd take a bit more effort than just counting.

¹ Spoilers: It is me. I legitimately had a crush on her when I was 14.

Ninjaman: Good point... I was planning on choosing humans for the boost but I just realized the tokens Monastery Mentor create arent human, only monks. I think I'll change it for Stoneforge Masterwork.

Stoneforge Masterwork will get boost for each monks and each other humans I control. Since all my creatures spells are human, and that Monastery Mentor is a human AND a Monk, it will boost itself quickly.

The combo I was speaking about is not super awesome but its good anyway. Deputy of Acquittals can return Reflector mage into my hand on the opponent turn, so I can use its ability one more time. Also, if Hero of the Precent One is in play, both of those cards count as multicolored so it will give me tokens as I play them.

Im not sure Monastery Monk is the best card to be honest. Its sneakily the Hero of Precinct One. If you look at all my instants and creatures, almost all of them are multicolored.

3x Monastery Mentor
    4x Hero of Precinct One
    4x Reflector Mage
    4x Deputy of Acquittals

3x Legion's Landing

4x Depose // Deploy
    3x Dovin's Veto
    2x Render Silent
    4x Warrant // Warden
    3x Brave the Elements

2x Stoneforge Masterwork
    Remember that the Monks you make with Monastery Mentor have Prowess. If you gave me an option between "I get a 1/1 token because I cast Render Silent" and "I get a 1/1 token and +1/+1 to all of my other creatures because I cast Render Silent"... I'd go with the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't do that. It will suck hard without the mentor, and the mentor shouldn't need it. Don't work on improving your best case, work on improving your worst case.

Oh, sorry, I read the name and assumed Deputy of Detention.
    You shouldn't be playing Deputy of Acquittals to begin with, it's just not that good a card and it doesn't really synergize with your deck.

Hero just makes a bunch of 1/1s, Mentor can easily let you swing for 10+ damage quite shortly after playing it.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I want to thanks everyone for their advices...

After much discussion, I realize my previous idea was wrong as Pionner isnt only 1 vs 1. Putting creatures on top of opponent deck would be effective (if not frustrating) strategy on 1 vs 1 setting only.

INSTEAD... I believe I made the deck more fun by making it a Adventure themed Monastery Monk deck!

Creature (17)
    2x Ardenvale Tactician
    1x Brazen Borrower
    4x Faerie Guidemother
    4x Giant Killer
    4x Monastery Mentor
    2x Silverflame Squire

Artifact (4)

2x Lucky Clover
    2x Primal Amulet

Instant (15)

4x Brave the Elements
    4x Depose / Deploy
    3x Dovin's Veto
    4x Opt

Land (24)
    4x Glacial Fortress
    1x Hallowed Fountain
    7x Island
    8x Plains
    4x Prairie Stream
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-12-29 at 06:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

I want to thanks everyone for their advices...

After much discussion, I realize my previous idea was wrong as Pionner isnt only 1 vs 1. Putting creatures on top of opponent deck would be effective (if not frustrating) strategy on 1 vs 1 setting only.

INSTEAD... I believe I made the deck more fun by making it a Adventure themed Monastery Monk deck!

Creature (17)
    2x Ardenvale Tactician
    1x Brazen Borrower
    4x Faerie Guidemother
    4x Giant Killer
    4x Monastery Mentor
    2x Silverflame Squire

Artifact (4)

2x Lucky Clover
    2x Primal Amulet

Instant (15)

4x Brave the Elements