New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Things feel so crazy high powered compared to what I'm used to. In part it's because MtG arena makes it so much easier to acquire the rares/mythics, so it's easier to assemble the powerful stuff. But it also feels like the power level is simply higher than it was at a lot of the times I played in. I remember when Kokusho was a strong card; but some of the stuff now just seems so much crazier. So many 1/1s or 2/2s for 1 or 2 that can very easily end up at 6/6 or higher.

It's not necessarily imbalanced, because there's lots of crazy stuff everywhere, but it feels very high powered. It also means that it's so easy to lose a game basically cuz of one crazy op card you didn't have a counter for (in constructed, limited play is better in that such cards are suitably infrequent).
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    In part it's because MtG arena makes it so much easier to acquire the rares/mythics, so it's easier to assemble the powerful stuff.
    Please explain.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

MtG arena has a high enough rate at acquiring cards for free users that it's very feasible to acquire decks full of rares/mythic rares without spending any money at all. It also has wildcards that can be converted into any specific card (can't be undone of course), so you can get the exact cards you need to fill out a deck.

My prior experience was more with MtGO and moreso offline play, where you had to spend real money for everything, so it took a lot to get all the good stuff and fewer people had it. I also wasn't playing in tourneys, just local friendly play so the average deck optimization wasn't as high.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Things feel so crazy high powered compared to what I'm used to. In part it's because MtG arena makes it so much easier to acquire the rares/mythics, so it's easier to assemble the powerful stuff. But it also feels like the power level is simply higher than it was at a lot of the times I played in. I remember when Kokusho was a strong card; but some of the stuff now just seems so much crazier. So many 1/1s or 2/2s for 1 or 2 that can very easily end up at 6/6 or higher.

It's not necessarily imbalanced, because there's lots of crazy stuff everywhere, but it feels very high powered. It also means that it's so easy to lose a game basically cuz of one crazy op card you didn't have a counter for (in constructed, limited play is better in that such cards are suitably infrequent).
    MTG shifts up and down over time, complaints about mtg being too low powered were common from the end of Theros to the start of Kaladesh, but Kaladesh through Ikoria have been very strong, especially Ikoria and War of the Spark. There will likely be a pulling back on power level for a while before it moves up again.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #785
    Banned

MtG arena has a high enough rate at acquiring cards for free users that it's very feasible to acquire decks full of rares/mythic rares without spending any money at all. It also has wildcards that can be converted into any specific card (can't be undone of course), so you can get the exact cards you need to fill out a deck.

My prior experience was more with MtGO and moreso offline play, where you had to spend real money for everything, so it took a lot to get all the good stuff and fewer people had it. I also wasn't playing in tourneys, just local friendly play so the average deck optimization wasn't as high.
    How odd, for me and my friends its the other way around; in Arena you find Casual McWhatsAMeta with his janky random ass deck and no fear of getting curbstomped, in physical play nobody would waste money on most of those cards or on such a half-assed idea, so you end up with mostly stuff lifted off mtggoldfish, or budgets versions of such.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    How odd, for me and my friends its the other way around; in Arena you find Casual McWhatsAMeta with his janky random ass deck and no fear of getting curbstomped, in physical play nobody would waste money on most of those cards or on such a half-assed idea, so you end up with mostly stuff lifted off mtggoldfish, or budgets versions of such.
    Depends on what mode you play in. Play vs Ranked vs events, Bo1 vs "Traditional" Bo3, etc. I play a lot of Traditional Standard event, and most of what I see there is top or close-to-top meta decks.

The big thing that's different about Arena to enable meta decks is that the difficulty/expense of acquiring any given card depends exclusively on its nominal rarity, not on how good it is. If you want a paper copy of some powerful mythic that's a cornerstone of a tier 1 deck, you'll probably have to pay a substantial amount of money for it because everyone else wants them too and there's a limited supply. You will certainly have to pay more than for some weird mythic that no one uses. In Arena, the cost is always the same - one mythic wildcard, unless you get lucky and get it directly from packs or rewards.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

I mean in your LGS you are likely known as "the guy who plays this red deck", or the "sliver fan" or the rich guy that brings another deck every other week. Decks won't fluctuate as quickly.

In MTGA, it can happen that a streamer plays a particular meta deck/jank/creative budget deck and within the hour, the servers are flooded with it.

There is literally only one constant. Red deck wins, and red decks get played.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

My point is that monetary constraints don't have a big impact on what decks are being played. We're not seeing more broken things on arena than we are on paper.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    My point is that monetary constraints don't have a big impact on what decks are being played. We're not seeing more broken things on arena than we are on paper.
    not sure where you made that point; at any rate, that's not what I'm seeing. I'm seeing a difference even if you aren't; and the answers of others were very helpful in understanding it.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2020-05-03 at 06:23 AM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ettin in the Playground

It's definitely way cheaper to construct a "meta" deck in MTGA than it is in MTGO or paper. Remember when Oko was like 80+ dollars in paper but in Arena everybody had four?

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Im looking for some ruling explination.

If I want to play Combustible Gearhulk but Torpor Orb is on the battlefield (preventing ETB effects), do I still get to mill 3 cards since that effect seem seperated?
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2020-05-03 at 06:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Im looking for some ruling explination.

If I want to play Combustible Gearhulk but Torpor Orb is on the battlefield (preventing ETB effects), do I still get to mill 3 cards since that effect seem seperated?
    No, it’s all one ability.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm currently playing Penny Dreadful a lot. The format is really combo heavy this season, with Burning of Xinye, Death Cloud, Hivemind, Plasma Swans, all of the egg pieces, hypergenesis, and more in the format along with a lot of draw-go effects and some really mean black cards like Davriel and Dark ritual.

14. - Top - End - #794

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Please explain.
    Smaller packs (but still having a rare/mythic in every pack) means you get rares at a higher rate. Wildcards mean that there's no meaningful price variance between two cards of the same rarity. Arena is also simply cheaper in general than paper or MTGO.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    It's definitely way cheaper to construct a "meta" deck in MTGA than it is in MTGO or paper. Remember when Oko was like 80+ dollars in paper but in Arena everybody had four?
    It helps that one of the meta decks contains no mythics and under 10 rares with the optimal build. Thanks, Boros Cycling!
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, Zodi... does "Xantcha" count as Karn's deadname? Just curious.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Hey, Zodi... does "Xantcha" count as Karn's deadname? Just curious.
    Absolutely not. Xantcha is her own person just like Karn was. It's... Xantcha is Karn's mom basically, is how I'd phrase it.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Absolutely not. Xantcha is her own person just like Karn was. It's... Xantcha is Karn's mom basically, is how I'd phrase it.
    Oh. That makes sense, I guess. Reminds me of a certain cartoon...
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-05-16 at 02:43 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    It helps that one of the meta decks contains no mythics and under 10 rares with the optimal build. Thanks, Boros Cycling!
    While I LOVE the gameplay and the deck in and of itself, it is a horrible fluff nightmare that I cannot stand as a roleplayer. Including spells just to cycle them? Yes, yes, I get that storywise, the creatures with cycle triggers are rummaging through old crap to find SOMETHING worthwhile to do against the giant monster, but not being ABLE to cast the spell side of 40% of your spells is hair raising for me.

Then again a Charming Prince/Thassa flickering a Gyruda should be equally as annoying to my RPG sensibilities.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

For MtG arena players: are you guys getting the Ikoria pass? I only recently realized and looked up that it's a significantly shorter season, so I'm not sure its worth getting.

I play enough to never let a daily go unused; but I mostly only play if all 3 are available, so my actual game count is fairly low.

I'm also just curious what modes people play: I find I preferentially draft and play my draft decks; and I use constructed decks only when my gold supplies are getting low.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

Havent been getting the previous one either. The cosmetics are too lazy and almost exclusuvely for cards that are never played plus old boosters.

Plus the pets are ugly as sin.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't decided yet. I'm around level 56 or so right now just doing the amount of play I usually do, if I get to max level I'll probably get it since the free draft coupon plus all the gems and gold I think probably make it worthwhile? But if I don't get up to the max level I might just hold onto my gems.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

23. - Top - End - #803
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Well, this is a surprising option to fix Companion, most people thought it'd be start a card down in your hand. Getting rid of Fires and Agent in Standard is much appreciated. Don't think it'll be enough to get Standard back up to snuff, though.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Well, this is a surprising option to fix Companion, most people thought it'd be start a card down in your hand. Getting rid of Fires and Agent in Standard is much appreciated. Don't think it'll be enough to get Standard back up to snuff, though.
    While I'm not really sure I like that particular fix, something did need to be done about Companions.

I'm a bit surprised that Fires didn't get banned earlier, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Companions fix seems bad. Companion as a mechanic wasn't any worse then planeswalkers, it just had some stand outs (just like planeswalkers.) Lurrus should have eaten a ban, Zirda in the older formats, that seems plenty. Yorion was ok, Gyrudra was good as an all in combo in legacy, otherwise they were nothing to write home about.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The Companions fix seems bad. Companion as a mechanic wasn't any worse then planeswalkers, it just had some stand outs (just like planeswalkers.) Lurrus should have eaten a ban, Zirda in the older formats, that seems plenty. Yorion was ok, Gyrudra was good as an all in combo in legacy, otherwise they were nothing to write home about.
    They probably have even more problematic companions sketched down the line; power creep is real after all. So instead of banning things as they release (which already gave them a ton of backlash) they'd rather nip the problem in the bud.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

They probably have even more problematic companions sketched down the line; power creep is real after all. So instead of banning things as they release (which already gave them a ton of backlash) they'd rather nip the problem in the bud.
    Yeah, if they are determined to do it badly why not just rewrite the mechanic? There are plenty that could have worked that are weaker or on par with the current ones but that wouldn't sell as much product I guess. Off the top of my head "Can only be a companion if your deck include 5 basic lands of different types" and then it is a lotus cobra or Priest of Gix but adds all 5 colors when it etbs.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, part of the problem with Companions is that, other than maybe Kyruga, the restrictions aren't actually that restrictive.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, that definitely nixes whatsisname the preypiercer, and probably lurrus in standard. Yorion probably doesn't even care about the 3 mana too much, but the Agent of Treachery ban indirectly nerfs him. Creatureless decks running Jegantha as a secondary win condition certainly won't care, it still gives you an extra card of guaranteed gas.

Reddit people seem to think Nissa will rule the day again, I'm not quite so sure yet but we will see. Winota is notably still intact, I'm pretty sure Agent of Treachery was more of a cute trick for her than her main win condition
    Last edited by Eurus; 2020-06-01 at 04:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Companion rules changed! Now it cost 3 generic mana to put it in your hand at sorcery speed.

I do not mind that at all to be honest. Sounds fair. Like you casted a fetch card to put it in your hand.

=======

How much Commander decks are too much I wonder... I have 7 Commander decks now and I hope I can resist buy anymore.