New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

That's a pretty huge change; I don't follow constructed closely enough to say much about it. What's the average rate these days of them having to ban cards or make changes like that?
    I imagine it varies over time, and tends to be high when sets are tuned to a high power balance point.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

2. - Top - End - #812
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    That's a pretty huge change; I don't follow constructed closely enough to say much about it. What's the average rate these days of them having to ban cards or make changes like that?
    I imagine it varies over time, and tends to be high when sets are tuned to a high power balance point.

There was a 5-year period without bannings between the dreaded Combo Winter of '99 until Mirrodin.

Then there was a 6-year period without bannings between Fifth Dawn and Worldwake.

Then there was another 6-year period without bannings until everything went completely off the rails in 2017 when there were three Standard bans. And then another two before the end of the year. And then four bans in 2018. Then three bans in 2019. And now two bans so far in Standard, and the first rules patch.

I've recently begun associated character-driven storylines rather than world-driven storylines, horrible balance issues, and 'return to a loved plane so you can trash it after its original fulfilling conclusion' together as the New New World Order.

On a related note, I have been playing far less Magic after 2015 (when Dragons of Tarkir started the paradigm) than I did before 2015.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2020-06-02 at 05:34 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, I am not certain how necessary all the bans were across the last 4 years. Some of them I think are not as much a result of Wizards making cards too good, but that a lot more people are playing a lot more Magic and breaking things too quickly. They need some way to change up Standard so that it remains fun and interesting, and they can't make more products or rotate Standard faster because we complained the last time they did that. Some of the cards they've made were definitely problems (like Oko) but I think some cards they banned in order to make people play different stuff, effectively a mini-rotation.

Companions needed to change, that much is clear, but the other two bans? While I think it revitalizes Standard a bit since the top deck and a half is banned out, mainly I think they did it because people were getting bored with Standard as it was and not necessarily that those cards were broken. In my experience playing Standard, I didn't have as much problem dealing with those cards myself, so I think Standard might have still been fine if those cards hadn't been banned. But I am excited for New Standard, which I'm certain was what they were going for. And I remember when Rampaging Ferocidon was banned and thinking, "what?"
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2020-06-02 at 07:35 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean Agent of Treachery still is a huge design mistake that either got sweet talked past devs or everyone was misreading the card.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    I mean Agent of Treachery still is a huge design mistake that either got sweet talked past devs or everyone was misreading the card.
    Overpowered design mistakes are marketing successes, same as Wrex; the repentant bs they spew when their scheduled ban comes is insulting to the intelligence of average readers.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Agent of Treachery's been fine for most of its life in Standard; we've just recently hit a critical mass of ramp and mana cheating that made it oppressive. Playing Agent on turn 7 is a decent play, but not a game winning one. Powering it out on turn 4 and knocking your opponent down to three lands is the problem, and that's mostly happened because of cards like Lukka and Winota.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2020-06-03 at 11:37 AM.

7. - Top - End - #817

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Honestly, part of the problem with Companions is that, other than maybe Kyruga, the restrictions aren't actually that restrictive.
    I think that's a bad take. Most of the restrictions are meaningful (particularly for Standard). It's only Yorion, Lurrus (in older formats), and Kaheera (for creatureless decks, it's super restrictive if you want to play creature cards) that are easy to stick in without changes. The others all require sacrifices (e.g. Embercleave in Standard RDW).

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    because people were getting bored with Standard as it was and not necessarily that those cards were broken.
    They did that because Standard is miserable (and in particular it's super miserable if you're not playing on of the top decks). Frankly, they didn't go far enough. They should have banned Teferi and Reclaimation. Personally, I think they should ban things for being godawful a lot more frequently than they do. Lots of formats are stuck being kinda miserable for a long time because WotC is unwilling to ban things. Which is why I'm excited for Historic. I hope that an all-digital format allows them to manage it more aggressively for broken nonsense, though not getting Teferi there worries me.

I didn't have as much problem dealing with those cards myself
    The Jeskai Lukka deck had a 60% winrate in the Red Bull tournament. That percentage went up after sideboarding. Your personal experience is not indicative, though I understand that WotC's resolute refusal to give us hard numbers makes it tempting to think this way.

I think Agent is actually a fairly small design mistake. It would be super fair if it had the "if you cast it from your hand" restriction that the various "ETB blow up the world" creatures like Dread Cacodemon have. Even the "if you cast it" restriction that's on Lutri (whose ETB is a 2-mana spell) has would be fine. The issue is that you can cheat it out easily and that's busted.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Agent of Treachery's been fine for most of its life in Standard; we've just recently hit a critical mass of ramp and mana cheating that made it oppressive. Playing Agent on turn 7 is a decent play, but not a game winning one. Powering it out on turn 4 and knocking your opponent down to three lands is the problem, and that's mostly happened because of cards like Lukka and Winota.
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelWalmsley View Post
    I think Agent is actually a fairly small design mistake. It would be super fair if it had the "if you cast it from your hand" restriction that the various "ETB blow up the world" creatures like Dread Cacodemon have. Even the "if you cast it" restriction that's on Lutri (whose ETB is a 2-mana spell) has would be fine. The issue is that you can cheat it out easily and that's busted.
    The fact that Agent doesn't specify non-land fundamentally shifts the power level of the card. It creates a huge color pie break wherein blue isn't supposed to be able to interact with lands. More importantly though, a creature that is flicker-able that casts Stone Rain on your opponent is a card that needed to be thoroughly tested around for standard. It obviously didn't get that testing, or the devs think that scenario is an acceptable thing to have in a standard environment. Either scenario is not a good look for the dev team as a whole.

Furthermore, saying that X wouldn't be broken if you were hard casting it for mana is just an inadequate assessment of card design at this point in this game's lifecycle. Magic is a game where things are going to be cheated out, reanimated, etc. A card should at least be reasonable in regards to the actual wording of it's effect.

Does anyone here really think that if the card said "non-land permanent" that we would even still be having a discussion about this card being ban-worthy? I don't think so. I believe it would be a card that still saw sideboard play, but it wouldn't be a card that needed banning.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

The fact that Agent doesn't specify non-land fundamentally shifts the power level of the card. It creates a huge color pie break wherein blue isn't supposed to be able to interact with lands.
    Blue interacts with lands just fine, usually via bouncing them. Blue is also the color of stealing your opponent's stuff, including lands. Annex shows as much. It's not a color pie break. That said, moving away from doing it with Auras and making it effectively irreversible is quite dangerous.

I think Agent of Treachery was printed in good faith that its 7 CMC mana cost would be a significant limitation on its use. (I.e. it would show up only in dedicated ramp decks.) The general wisdom of card design is that seven mana won't be reached without a dedicated ramp deck. Of course, then they print Lukka and Winota...

Never attribute to malice what can be explained with simple stupidity.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2020-06-04 at 01:06 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

Does anyone here really think that if the card said "non-land permanent" that we would even still be having a discussion about this card being ban-worthy? I don't think so. I believe it would be a card that still saw sideboard play, but it wouldn't be a card that needed banning.
    I... absolutely do, tbh, and it's surprising to me that you feel like land-stealing is what makes it powerful. Almost every deck is going to run nonland permanents, and being able to steal those is huge. Agent of Treachery is only stealing lands, in every game I've seen, when the defending player has no nonland permanents (or nothing remotely useful), which I tend to think of as a situation in which you are likely losing the game anyway.

11. - Top - End - #821

It creates a huge color pie break wherein blue isn't supposed to be able to interact with lands.
    Blue doesn't interact with lands specifically, but it's allowed to have effects that target any permanent, and it's allowed to have permanent stealing. There's even another "steal any permanent" card in Standard right now (Kiora Bests the Sea God). It's just that no one plays it, because you can't cheat it out T5 then repeatedly flicker it until your opponent wants to die.

Furthermore, saying that X wouldn't be broken if you were hard casting it for mana is just an inadequate assessment of card design at this point in this game's lifecycle. Magic is a game where things are going to be cheated out, reanimated, etc.
    Yes that's why cards should use cast triggers to make mana cheating less broken. The basic technology has existed at least as far back as the original Eldrazi Titans. The broken thing about the card is doing it on T5 and flickering it with Yorion. Making its effect only trigger on cast fixes that.

A card should at least be reasonable in regards to the actual wording of it's effect.
    When and how the effect triggers is part of the effect. Again, Kiora Bests the Sea God. Exact same (actually, slightly better) effect. But since it's much harder to trigger, cheat out, or repeat, it's a forgettable card instead of one that's banned in Standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    I... absolutely do, tbh, and it's surprising to me that you feel like land-stealing is what makes it powerful. Almost every deck is going to run nonland permanents, and being able to steal those is huge. Agent of Treachery is only stealing lands, in every game I've seen, when the defending player has no nonland permanents (or nothing remotely useful), which I tend to think of as a situation in which you are likely losing the game anyway.
    You stole lands when you cheated it out T5 reasonably often, because that was a good way of crippling your opponent before they could get going. T5 double Stone Rain was an absolutely brutal swing. It's still probably banworthy without that, but the most powerful lines where definitely the ones where you passed to your opponent's T5 and they had three lands to your seven.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The Companions fix seems bad. Companion as a mechanic wasn't any worse then planeswalkers, it just had some stand outs (just like planeswalkers.) Lurrus should have eaten a ban, Zirda in the older formats, that seems plenty. Yorion was ok, Gyrudra was good as an all in combo in legacy, otherwise they were nothing to write home about.
    Companions were problematic because they gave you a free card, planeswalkers didn't.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

The other problem with companions was that they have very relevant static or ETB abilities. If Lurrus was only a 3/2 lifelink, or if Yorion was only a 4/5 flying - both perfectly reasonable things for a 3 CMC and a 5 CMC creature, respectively, to be - they wouldn't have warped formats around them. Similarly, if they had kept the special abilities, but been reduced to 1/1 and 2/2, maybe they'd have been more trouble than they were really worth.

The line "When *** enters the battlefield, you draw a card." is usually worth about 1.5-2 CMC. The card advantage inherent to companions is worth at least as much as that, but companion creatures were priced as though being a companion was worth nothing - the truth is that it probably should have been priced as about 2 CMC or more (and indeed, that's what Wizards' fix is aiming for). Imagine if Fblthp was printed with a 3/3 statline with no alterations to the card text. Just a 2 CMC 3/3 beatstick that also draws a card. It would be immediately recognizable as utterly broken and beyond the pale. But then I look at Questing Beast, and I wonder what Wizards' limits for mythic or even rare creatures actually are these days.

14. - Top - End - #824

So, M21 previews have started.
    Dogs are now dog.
    Phasing is in standard.
    They printed a mono-W card draw card (the draw is linked to your opponent doing stuff, but still).
    There is a planeswalker that can be activated at instant speed.
    Baneslayer Angel is back.
    To invoke the immortal name of the goblin patron of excited fans: Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

EDIT: and (I actually think the reason I posted this and then forgot to put it (thanks LaZodiac), MILL IS A KEYWORD!
    Last edited by Personification; 2020-06-05 at 10:40 AM.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

15. - Top - End - #825
    Colossus in the Playground

Don't forget Mill is a keyword now!

They're literally cracking open a lot of those old rules and swirling around the insides.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Don't forget Mill is a keyword now!

They're literally cracking open a lot of those old rules and swirling around the insides.
    So, I can't watch the stream, but... is the keyword actually going to be "Mill X", or is there just going to be a keyword for milling?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

17. - Top - End - #827
    Colossus in the Playground

So, I can't watch the stream, but... is the keyword actually going to be "Mill X", or is there just going to be a keyword for milling?
    The wording is now "mill X cards" so it's more like an ability word?

Like "If you would draw a card, mill a card instead".

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

"Target opponent mills two cards"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NigelWalmsley View Post
    You stole lands when you cheated it out T5 reasonably often, because that was a good way of crippling your opponent before they could get going. T5 double Stone Rain was an absolutely brutal swing. It's still probably banworthy without that, but the most powerful lines where definitely the ones where you passed to your opponent's T5 and they had three lands to your seven.
    Well, fair enough. I still think it would absolutely be a huge problem even if it was restricted to nonlands, because stealing your opponent's planeswalkers/creatures/fires of invention/whatever is a huge tempo move.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Baneslayer Angel is back.
    Which raises the question of whether it's going to earn the name "Bankslayer Angel" again.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

21. - Top - End - #831

Probably not. It doesn't do anything when it ETBs, and it doesn't passively give you card advantage.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

Comparing Baneslayer Angel to this guy...

Spoiler: Card text:
    Show
    Elder Gargaroth {3}{G}{G}

Creature — Beast

Vigilance, reach, trample

Whenever Elder Gargaroth attacks or blocks, choose one —

• Create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.

• You gain 3 life.

• Draw a card.
    6/6
    Last edited by Eurus; 2020-06-08 at 12:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Comparing Baneslayer Angel to this guy...

Spoiler: Card text:
    Show
    Elder Gargaroth {3}{G}{G}

Creature — Beast

Vigilance, reach, trample

Whenever Elder Gargaroth attacks or blocks, choose one —

• Create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.

• You gain 3 life.

• Draw a card.
    6/6
    ... I've been out of the loop for a while, but this appears to be more pushed than Thragtusk back in the day. What the heck has happened to game design that green is so absurdly pushed?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

Everything is pushed. Creatures are just silly now. Be glad this doesn't trigger on entering the battlefield, too. If you kill it right away, it's a 1-for-1, unlike Hydroid Krasis or Uro.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2020-06-08 at 04:29 PM.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    ... I've been out of the loop for a while, but this appears to be more pushed than Thragtusk back in the day. What the heck has happened to game design that green is so absurdly pushed?
    A couple years back Green and Red went kinda insane. Thragtusk is, quite frankly, on curve at this point.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

I feel the phrase "x dies to removal" is so prevalent at this point that they needed to push green. And they kinda went a bit ham on that. Which is coincidentally the reason why the Gargaroth is probably not even worth it, if the meta evolves to be removal heavy again.

Unless you have a Henge out that replaces the card, or some form of denial (Alseid in G/W, counterspell in G/U) or haste, the card does not survive a turn.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

I think my favorite example of how utterly devalued creatures have become is Umori the Collector.

Umori is a 4/5 for {2}{B/G}{B/G} legendary creature from Ikoria with two abilities - first off, it straight-up has a better version of Cloud Key stapled to it (there's no restriction on the types you can pick). Secondly, once per game, if all of the non-land cards in your library are the same type, you can pay {3} to put it into your hand from your sideboard. Note that you don't have to build around Umori's Companion ability if you don't want to, but that it wouldn't be that hard to build around, say, Artifacts.

You can pick up a copy for $0.38. Cloud Key costs 54.5x that.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thragdaddy has etb and ltb triggers, not really comparable. WotC is constantly trying to find where the line for a creature without enter or exist triggers and being playable in higher cmcs is, because deliberately bad removal hasn't gone over well with players.

I thought an indestructible 7/6 that destroys permanents would do it but no one plays Kogla, for instance. It even combos with charming prince as an advantage engine.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

29. - Top - End - #839

ElfMonkGuy

Yeah, Thragtusk would see way more play than this card. Doom Whisperer's been in Standard for over a year and half, and it's barely seen any play. Big dumb creatures without immediate value just don't cut it.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2020-06-09 at 10:16 AM.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground

Elder Gargaroth will probably be good, but I doubt it will be too good. Sometimes big dumb idiots are just big and dumb enough to be playable, Kalonian Hydra comes to mind, but I don't recall them often being too good.

I agree that it is probably worse than Thragtusk, but I could be wrong.

Baneslayer was before I started playing, but I believe it was very dominating when it was first in standard, and then not much of a presence the second time around.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature