New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

I like using Karn, the Great Creator to recur Midnight Clock.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #842

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    You can pick up a copy for $0.38. Cloud Key costs 54.5x that.
    Cloud Key is also from a set that's over a decade old and has never been reprinted. Of course it's expensive, demand is higher than supply. Hell, Ripjaw Raptor, which is only a year out of Standard, is $1.88, and it's worse than Umori.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NigelWalmsley View Post
    Cloud Key is also from a set that's over a decade old and has never been reprinted. Of course it's expensive, demand is higher than supply. Hell, Ripjaw Raptor, which is only a year out of Standard, is $1.88, and it's worse than Umori.
    Did you read the part where Raptor draws cards?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I like using Karn, the Great Creator to recur Midnight Clock.
    I have beaten multiple (relatively) strong (as far as mill goes, anyway) mill decks with this, combined with a Mirrormade copying their Psychic Corrosion.

In one case, I'd have lost if they'd drawn one of the Jace, Wielder of Mysteries that they almost certainly had; in another, they did draw it, but I stole it with Eyes Everywhere.

This was in my Mono-Blue deck with few-to-no counterspells, in case you couldn't tell.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ettin in the Playground

So, Jumpstart. I'll confess that my interest is mostly in seeing how they're designing the packs so that I can make my own MtG SmashUp clone.

However, there are some crazy reprints, and some fun legendary critters.

But the real meat of it is that the method they used to build the packs looks really simple:

Build Your Own Jumpstart Pack

You'll need:
    • 8 lands. Monocolor packs appear to have seven basics and one color-fixing non-basic, while Rainbow has one of each basic, a Terramorphic Expanse, and two non-basics that can produce all five colors.
    • 4-5 "fuel" cards. These are your early game fodder, or the stuff that you shove into your engine to make it work.
    • 2 pieces of removal. Generally not very good removal, but removal all the same.
    • 3-4 "engine" cards. These are the cards that make the theme actually work - your sacrifice outlets, your midrange critters, or your tribal lords.
    • 2-3 "payoff" cards. These are your curve toppers that let you win the game with your engine. These are your bombs and your flashy stuff.

Rarities aren't constant from pack to pack (because each pack has its own rarity), but you should be looking at around 8 commons, 4 uncommons, and 1 rare. (With big, flashy packs trading an uncommon for a Rare or Mythic).
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

6. - Top - End - #846
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    So, Jumpstart. I'll confess that my interest is mostly in seeing how they're designing the packs so that I can make my own MtG SmashUp clone.

However, there are some crazy reprints, and some fun legendary critters.

But the real meat of it is that the method they used to build the packs looks really simple:

Build Your Own Jumpstart Pack

You'll need:
    • 8 lands. Monocolor packs appear to have seven basics and one color-fixing non-basic, while Rainbow has one of each basic, a Terramorphic Expanse, and two non-basics that can produce all five colors.
    • 4-5 "fuel" cards. These are your early game fodder, or the stuff that you shove into your engine to make it work.
    • 2 pieces of removal. Generally not very good removal, but removal all the same.
    • 3-4 "engine" cards. These are the cards that make the theme actually work - your sacrifice outlets, your midrange critters, or your tribal lords.
    • 2-3 "payoff" cards. These are your curve toppers that let you win the game with your engine. These are your bombs and your flashy stuff.

Rarities aren't constant from pack to pack (because each pack has its own rarity), but you should be looking at around 8 commons, 4 uncommons, and 1 rare. (With big, flashy packs trading an uncommon for a Rare or Mythic).
    Maybe the recipe is fairly stable, but from what has been said in interviews the amount of work required to make 121 packs that all played well with each other was monstrous, and it seems doubtful that someone could make custom packs that work nearly as well with the whole set as what is already there without tons of time and energy.

On a mostly unrelated note, who else is ready to force WUBRG Shrines in draft?
    Just me?
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

7. - Top - End - #847
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'm not sure about trying to force it in draft, but the new ones definitely got my mind racing for how to build WUBRG commander shrines.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

For commander shrines,, for what it's worth, I don't think it gets better than Captain Sisay, the new one, since she can tutor any of them out.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2020-06-25 at 07:47 AM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The new Sisay is perfect, though I'm not sure she'd be an appropriate power level for the group I play in. She's too consistent as the commander unless I'm playing against stronger decks. My initial list is a shrines and pillowfort deck that has her in the 99 and O-Kagachi as the commander. I'm open to shifting them around depending on what I'm facing though.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ettin in the Playground

I just had a game where I got over two hundred growth-counters on my Simic Ascendency that had entered the battlefield on my previous turn, then won by bringing my opponent to negative six hundred ninety-three life via battle-damage.

(I had, like, five-or-so instances of Basri's emblem)
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-06-28 at 04:22 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    For commander shrines,, for what it's worth, I don't think it gets better than Captain Sisay, the new one, since she can tutor any of them out.
    The problem there is it limits you to only 2 colors, and shrines wants all 5.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #852
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The new Sisay has a WUBRG activated ability to make her 5-color. She tutors out a legendary permanent onto the battlefield with CMC less than or equal to the number of colors among permanents you control.

13. - Top - End - #853

For anyone who is confused. Also, anyone who was hoping to use her for Brawl, she is unfortunately not legal on Arena.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NigelWalmsley View Post
    For anyone who is confused. Also, anyone who was hoping to use her for Brawl, she is unfortunately not legal on Arena.
    Huh. That's a new one.

Combo with Leyline of Singularity, Avatar of Me, and Water Gun Balloon Game?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

15. - Top - End - #855
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

So recently I have been playing a silly infinite combo deck in Historic. It uses Arcane Adaption to make all my creatures angels, drop in Bishop of Wings, and then Bastion of Remembrance and Virulent Plague. Go, Infinitely Dying Angel. It isn't the fastest of decks, nor the most consistent, but it is fairly amusing to see it go off. (There are redundancies in the deck as well as a good amount of No.) Plus side, it give me an excuse to use Yorion as the Companion.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

The Chandra Commander Event deck is spicy. I like it, I think I'll try to recreate it.

Gotta love, how M21 still upholds the thread title of adding yet another bunch of Chandra cards, MTG's favorite bisexual decidedly straight pyromancer.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    The Chandra Commander Event deck is spicy. I like it, I think I'll try to recreate it.

Gotta love, how M21 still upholds the thread title of adding yet another bunch of Chandra cards, MTG's favorite bisexual decidedly straight pyromancer.
    If it helps any the official word is that she's pansexual and this is just the start of her realizing it. Like it was a very ****ty and bad scene and line to write, but it is intended to lead somewhere good it's just hard to see because of how rushed the story was.

But yeah oops all Chandras.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    If it helps any the official word is that she's pansexual and this is just the start of her realizing it. Like it was a very ****ty and bad scene and line to write, but it is intended to lead somewhere good it's just hard to see because of how rushed the story was.

But yeah oops all Chandras.
    The person who wrote the straightwashing scene almost certainly didn't intend it that way, but I'm prepared to believe that WotC has collectively backpedaled on that and wants to salvage it.

Also, Sisay 5-color shrines in Commander is fun.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    The person who wrote the straightwashing scene almost certainly didn't intend it that way, but I'm prepared to believe that WotC has collectively backpedaled on that and wants to salvage it.

Maro has said outright that by his understanding Chandra is meant to be pan. They also put out in an official statement that Chandra is still new to this, and explained how all their regime changes have led to stories being... clunky, for a bit, and how they intend to improve.

I look forward to seeing them put their money where their mouths are, personally, but at least Ikoria was a good book.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    I’d be interested to see your deck list. I’m brewing one of my own, but its price is quickly ballooning out of control. I’ve been trying to combine the shrines with a pillow fort theme.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Maro has said outright that by his understanding Chandra is meant to be pan. They also put out in an official statement that Chandra is still new to this, and explained how all their regime changes have led to stories being... clunky, for a bit, and how they intend to improve.

I look forward to seeing them put their money where their mouths are, personally, but at least Ikoria was a good book.
    The regime changes are the issue, yeah. Mark Rosewater may mean well, but he's not really the guy in charge of the novels. But, hopefully the backlash made whoever is in charge of that side of things now decide to pay more attention and be more careful...

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ettin in the Playground

I just had a couple of really lucky/clutch moments in my latest Historic match.

My opponent got me down to negative life less than a turn after I got my Platinum Angel onto the board. Then they got enough shrines to take out said angel with their Honden of Infinite Rage... the turn after I had played Akroma's Memorial (which mattered since that particular shrine is red, which the Memorial provides protection from)

I think they ended up getting 9 out of 11 shrines out total, but not all at once.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

I know love is a core concept of good storytelling, but her sexuality should not be the focus when her definjng traits are planeswalking pyromancer.

Her relationships to individual creatures should be the topic, but her being a piece of political agendas.

Tampering with that is about as smart as Rowling adding character traits to her characters.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    I know love is a core concept of good storytelling, but her sexuality should not be the focus when her definjng traits are planeswalking pyromancer.

Her relationships to individual creatures should be the topic, but her being a piece of political agendas.

Tampering with that is about as smart as Rowling adding character traits to her characters.
    Being LGBT isn't an "agenda" nor is anyone making it the "focus"
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Banned

Chandra was as compelling a character when she was daydreaming of Gideon as she was when having weird thoughts about Nissa. The bits with her family on Kaladesh were way more interesting than this 'is she gay / straight / pan" bs that really adds very little to the story, other than a few people clinging on her to be 'represented'.

Meanwhile, south america is dinoland and nobody seems to care :v

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Meanwhile, south america is dinoland and nobody seems to care :v
    I care, at the very least. Ixalan is awesome!
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I care, at the very least. Ixalan is awesome!
    {scrubbed}

And yes, Ixalan is awesome, and so are The Emperor's New Clothes (even though no Inca was ever a llama and Cuzco is anything but jungle) and El Dorado (as horribly wrong as it also is). My point being, a good story is a good story, representation for the sake of it is overrated and can make things worse than they would've otherwise been.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-07-03 at 10:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #868

ElfMonkGuy

Overrated for you, perhaps, but for people who are actually being represented, it can mean the world. And the removal of the representation makes it even worse. The straightwashing of Chandra was the thing that made me no longer care about the story of MTG after following it diligently since Tarkir.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me tweak my work in progress 5 color Sisay shrines commander deck. I'd ideally like to bring it down to at most a $200 cost while retaining the theme and idea of the deck.

30. - Top - End - #870

ElfMonkGuy

I'm no expert on deck building, but Elspeth, Jace, and O-Kagachi, at least, look a bit weird in the deck. I can kinda see Elspeth for her ult, but in practice, you're almost never going to get that off. Those could probably be replaced with more synergistic, cheaper cards.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2020-07-05 at 03:17 PM.