New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's complicated, though thank you for giving me a frame of reference.

So, three entire major story arcs and shifts in storytelling have come and gone in the time since you've been here. The most modern stories are now firmly in the okay category after a brief period of "these two books set the fandom on fire" which were proceeded by divisive but ultimately very appreciated and very good web fiction that started in Tarkir block.

Gideon is a real good and strong boy he's also dead sorry. Garruk is not an idiot actually and is currently watching over these two dumbass teens like a big uncle, now that he is no longer cursed with evil.
    Aw man. The guy I found out about and thought sounded vaguely cool for 2 days is dead. Alas.

So two books that set the fandom on fire. Is that good fire, or pure rage at the incompetence of the writers?

Other than the Tarkir stuff, is there anything you’d recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Garruk was my favorite planeswalker before the whole chain veil thing. Mechanics wise, he was just the best and most fun of the Lorwyn 5. Story-wise, he's got a sympathetic and grounded past, and the whole 'hunt down and bond with beasts' thing made him seem like a generally cool dude. Man, eight years ago, I was devastated when he couldn't follow up on the Cursemute, 'cause who was going to be the Green Planeswalker without him? Nissa? The elf supremacist who willingly set the Eldrazi free, because "oh they're not going to eat my face", whose signature mechanics all revolved around Elf tribal? Man, that was just unthinkable.

Plus, even when his curse got bad, he was the one guy who could get Jace Beleran to shove it.

...It took eleven years to resolve that plot point. Man, I went from high school through college and got a job and a mortgage waiting for this quest to end, and it comes when Magic is at its lowest point since Combo Winter and I haven't bought cards since Aether Revolt.
    I am more than willing to be proven wrong. Admittedly all I’ve sort of scrounged together is Garruk is some sort of Planeswalker hunter, and he ate a poor defenseless cookie.

Also I have seen a semi-frequent recitation that Nyssa is “the worst.” Which makes sense to me. She is an elf.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Aw man. The guy I found out about and thought sounded vaguely cool for 2 days is dead. Alas.

So two books that set the fandom on fire. Is that good fire, or pure rage at the incompetence of the writers?

Other than the Tarkir stuff, is there anything you’d recommend?

I am more than willing to be proven wrong. Admittedly all I’ve sort of scrounged together is Garruk is some sort of Planeswalker hunter, and he ate a poor defenseless cookie.

Also I have seen a semi-frequent recitation that Nyssa is “the worst.” Which makes sense to me. She is an elf.
    The two novels "Ravnica: War of the Spark" and "Ravnica: Forsaken" are... incredibly "we will burn down the fandom in hellfire and death" in terms of responses. I'm not going to blame the writer of these two books, but instead blame the corporate hierarchy that caused these books to be rushed out and muddled and just not very well written a lot of the time. They did have some good things, they did do a lot of bad, WOTC is aware and is trying their best to correct this as best they can.

As for recommendations; it depends on how you want to engage in the story. Just going Tarkir forward is good I feel, though keep in mind that one of the set of web stories after Tarkir is Origins, which is backstories for the main five walkers of the cast (Jace, Gideon, Nissa, Chandra, and Liliana). From there, basically just read the webfiction in order of release up to War of the Spark, where things get complicated.

There is a prequel book to War and Forsaken that is Very Good and only accessible as webfiction in specific ways (it's weird, I have it if needed) and there is a side novel released after Eldritch Moon that was free and very good and currently not available (it's weird, I have it if needed). After War of theSpark and Forsaken are the standalone novels for Eldraine (which resumes Garruk's story, curing him of his darkness and desire to hunt planeswalkers) and Ikoria.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Set the fandom on fire" as in "the YouTube channel Tolarian Community College is now making Pokémon videos".
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    "Set the fandom on fire" as in "the YouTube channel Tolarian Community College is now making Pokémon videos".
    Makes sense to have cross product promotion since they also do the Pokemon cards?
    Last edited by noob; 2020-10-28 at 04:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

That fandom Guy Fawks Night is a different one than the War of the Spark’s fandom arson.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

6. - Top - End - #1116

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Makes sense to have cross product promotion since they also do the Pokemon cards?
    Yeah, honestly I am partly joking there. The fact that he is branching into other TCGs is not evidence of him being upset with Magic (though he has also been pretty vocal in his criticism about the direction things are moving right now).

That aside, I don't even play Commander (or paper Magic at all) and I already want to make a Rograkh/Ravos Soultender anthems tribal deck.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, honestly I am partly joking there. The fact that he is branching into other TCGs is not evidence of him being upset with Magic (though he has also been pretty vocal in his criticism about the direction things are moving right now).

That aside, I don't even play Commander (or paper Magic at all) and I already want to make a Rograkh/Ravos Soultender anthems tribal deck.
    Seems like an interesting base for an equipment deck.(All it lacks among the cool basic abilities is hexproof)
    The partnership is a great plus.
    Last edited by noob; 2020-10-29 at 01:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, I think the sleeper hit is going to be Dargo. He gives you easy access to infinite ETB/dies triggers with a Phyrexian Altar (sac a creature to the Altar for R, sac two other creatures, then repeatedly sac Dargo for R). It also wouldn't be that hard to combo off and play him on T1.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

9. - Top - End - #1119

ElfMonkGuy

Welp, Wizards just decided to print Black Lotus But For Commander. This seems absurd.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Welp, Wizards just decided to print Black Lotus But For Commander. This seems absurd.
    It's weaker (because you can't use it to cast any of the 99) but still way too strong. I agree.

It might be a reasonable level of strength if it also had a clause where it couldn't be used to pay for the generic portion of the mana cost, but even then it would be pushed.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-10-29 at 08:58 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ettin in the Playground

Guys. Guys.

There's a 10/10 for 10 Hydra that Cascades four times. That's... all kinds of insane.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Jeweled Lotus is going to be a lot less of a problem than people make it. Doesn't mean I like the design though.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Guys. Guys.

There's a 10/10 for 10 Hydra that Cascades four times. That's... all kinds of insane.
    What's insane is that its now a staple in an Alimar deck.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2020-11-01 at 08:09 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

Jeweled Lotus is strong and not color-locked but it is just up there with other staple cards such as Sol Ring, Arcane Signet or Cyclonic Rift.

I can see it easily becoming a "fan-banned" cards due to its potential to turn a game of "fair magic" into something hideously one-sided and unfun for 75% of the table.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Jeweled Lotus is strong and not color-locked but it is just up there with other staple cards such as Sol Ring, Arcane Signet or Cyclonic Rift.

I can see it easily becoming a "fan-banned" cards due to its potential to turn a game of "fair magic" into something hideously one-sided and unfun for 75% of the table.
    Like "turn 1 I put my op 4 mana commander on the table before you can get any of the spells that can manage it" ruining of fun?

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Like "turn 1 I put my op 4 mana commander on the table before you can get any of the spells that can manage it" ruining of fun?
    As a general rule, I don't think the commanders that care about this card are going to be played in groups that would fan ban this card.

Yeah, if I ramp out Urza turn one and I've built my deck correctly, I probably win that game, but if I'm playing Sarkhan against my friend's Temur Sarkhan energy deck, they will rightfully avoid playing with me.

17. - Top - End - #1127

Jeweled Lotus is very strong in cEDH metas, but I don't think it's that impressive in normal EDH. Cheating out Urza or Godo and comboing off is impressive, but competitive metas have tools to deal with T1 combo. In a more battlecruiser meta, a one-off ritual really isn't that big of a deal. If your plan is to cast Drakuseth or something, this is really quite similar to Irencrag Feat, a card exactly zero people are concerned about.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ettin in the Playground

I just had a really funny Historic match, using my "Wishclaw Talisman + Animating Fae + Trostani Discordant" deck.

Much earlier, I had played a Simic Ascendancy that had since been destroyed. Before destroying it, they copied is with Mirrormade, and now their copy had over 20 counters.

I controlled Inniaz, the Gale Force but only one other creature with flying (making a total of two, which wouldn't be enough to steal anything) and, although I had another flier in my hand, it didn't have haste. I had eight available mana, though, so I used one with my Talisman to search for my Akroma's Memorial, which I then played, before attacking with three arbitrary creatures and trading my Trostani for their copied Simic Ascendancy.

So that was cool.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ettin in the Playground

What, like a tabletop equivalent of Penny Dreadful?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    I'm not going to BadWrongFun the people who like it, but stuff like this new Jeweled Lotus is one of many reasons why I dislike Commander. Sadly that's all the MTG scene in my town even plays, which has turned me off from the game in recent years. When I got into the game during my university days everybody was into two-headed giant with casual modern jank decks. Now it feels like the attitude is that anyone who hasn't sunk $100+ into their deck isn't even worth playing with.

I think there should be a format with 60-card decks where the total market value of the cards (as determined by a mutually-agreeable online marketplace) is limited to $10.00, basic lands exempted. It could lead to some interesting deckbuilding choices and give cards that otherwise don't see play a role. If it was a fairly big format it would even be self balancing as overpowered decks would get slowly nerfed as the cards in them rose in value.
    We tried something like that at my store, but the limit was $50.

The gameplay was fine, but the format was hampered by the fact that I could build a deck and then next month due to the ineffible will of the market, my deck stopped being legal and i'd have to make changes.

The concept works best online as in Penny Dreadful. In paper, the volatility of what's legal is not conducive to a good time.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Titan in the Playground

Especially when you factor in something like Wayfarer's Bauble which used to be a 12 cent card, and is now over $3 at the cheapest.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm not going to BadWrongFun the people who like it, but stuff like this new Jeweled Lotus is one of many reasons why I dislike Commander. Sadly that's all the MTG scene in my town even plays, which has turned me off from the game in recent years. When I got into the game during my university days everybody was into two-headed giant with casual modern jank decks. Now it feels like the attitude is that anyone who hasn't sunk $100+ into their deck isn't even worth playing with.

I think there should be a format with 60-card decks where the total market value of the cards (as determined by a mutually-agreeable online marketplace) is limited to $10.00, basic lands exempted. It could lead to some interesting deckbuilding choices and give cards that otherwise don't see play a role. If it was a fairly big format it would even be self balancing as overpowered decks would get slowly nerfed as the cards in them rose in value.
    Isn't that just pauper? I don't actually know.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Titan in the Playground

Pauper is not quite that cheap, and has no inherent price limit.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've done it before. We set it at $10 a deck (discounting basic lands) and it worked pretty well. You take a snapshot of when you bought it and don't worry about prices except initial buying price.

I also play Penny Dreadful online, it rotates on a fixed time table and the price is set to day of rotation. For paper I would go for one year or so and 10C a card.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ettin in the Playground

Nope. Pauper is "only commons"
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ettin in the Playground

For a while, I was on a kick where I brewed up a ton of decks that cost less than $10, including the basic lands. One of the big consequences is that decks tend to top out around two colors (or include Green), since having a proper land base would take up your whole budget. I also tended to brew around janky cards like Fevered Visions or Pia's Revolution, but that's just something I do in general. You do get some pretty neat decks if you embrace the jank, though, like my Umori dash+mutate deck or my Temur BIG SPELLS! list (which focused on getting big spells - which are either spells with cycling or split spells - into my graveyard so that I can recur them with Vengeful Rebirth or Living Lore).

If you up the limit to $15, more stuff opens up since you can actually budget to buy that one card your deck needs that costs more than a dollar. Looking at you, Maze's End- you're the only reason that my five-color Gates deck costs over $10 ($11.75, but still).

For anyone interested in this kind of challenge, you want to hit an average card price of $0.16, including your basic lands. Draft chaff and stuff that's just shy of competitive are your friends. And, hey, if your opponents are building with the same card pool, all of the removal will be garbage, so you don't have to worry about your creatures being hyper-aggressive.

---

Have you ever considered building a cube? Not a powered cube (because those can cost as much as a house), just a pile of 360 cards that you like and that you think could be fun to draft. If you limited yourself to, say, $0.20 per card, the whole thing would set you back less than $100 (including the sleeves and the like).

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Banned

We ran several seasons of Standard Pauper and more of Standard Silverblack (C/UC only). It was more fun than it had reason to be, we really should give it a shot again once this stupid virus goes away.

Legacy versions suck out all the savings and fun of weird formats.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't that thing you called "Standard Silverblack" actually Artisan?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Isn't that thing you called "Standard Silverblack" actually Artisan?
    IIRC, Artisan is what Arena called it and Silverblack is what MTGO called it.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    IIRC, Artisan is what Arena called it and Silverblack is what MTGO called it.
    Presumably, there are different names because Artisan is a rotating format, whereas Silverblack is an eternal one.

I could be wrong, though.

EDIT: I have another really stupid custom card:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Subvert Preparations - 5UB
    Sorcery - M (Dimir watermark)
    Choose a permanent you don't control with Hexproof, Protection, or Shroud. Gain control of that permanent and everything attached to it.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-11-08 at 07:44 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.