New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Spoiler: Another attempt at my ludicrously-expensive demon idea
    Show

EDIT: I appear to have forgotten the phrase "that you own" needing to be part of the additional cost.
    Do you know how many nightmarish rules headaches Panglacial Wurm is responsible for? Why would you subject the poor judges to this?!

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Do you know how many nightmarish rules headaches Panglacial Wurm is responsible for? Why would you subject the poor judges to this?!
    I thought it would be cool.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-12-15 at 11:56 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Merry Christmas and might the new Legendary squirrel bring you chestnuts to roast on an open fire lol

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

I won a foil uncut sheet of War of the Spark today!

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ettin in the Playground

Rule 111.4 causes Runed Halo to be useful (EDIT: "useful" is a strong word, actually) against Ashiok, Nightmare Muse. I find that hilarious, for some reason.

Before anyone asks: Yes, I did make use of that technicality immediately before posting about it.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-12-28 at 05:34 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I won a foil uncut sheet of War of the Spark today!
    Congratulations. Anything you wish you could have cut out from it?
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post
    Congratulations. Anything you wish you could have cut out from it?
    Not especially. I just like the idea of having a framed uncut sheet. It being foil, and the rares/mythics is just a bonus.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Rule 111.4 causes Runed Halo to be useful (EDIT: "useful" is a strong word, actually) against Ashiok, Nightmare Muse. I find that hilarious, for some reason.

Before anyone asks: Yes, I did make use of that technicality immediately before posting about it.
    It protects you from the nightmares, but then your opponent just bounces Runed Halo with Ashiok.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    It protects you from the nightmares, but then your opponent just bounces Runed Halo with Ashiok.
    They could have, yes.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I being looking into having a deck for the Pauper format. With a bit of research, I found the Nightsky Mimic and I made a decklist for it in black/white and a bit of blue. Second focus is enchantement/aura. Afterwards, I found out competively, Nightsky Mimic is not used. Is there a reason for it?

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ettin in the Playground

Unpopular opinion: Yore-tiller Nephilim has great flavor.

The other four nephilim do not have good flavor; in this, I agree with most people who have any opinion on the matter.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I being looking into having a deck for the Pauper format. With a bit of research, I found the Nightsky Mimic and I made a decklist for it in black/white and a bit of blue. Second focus is enchantement/aura. Afterwards, I found out competively, Nightsky Mimic is not used. Is there a reason for it?
    Pauper is legacy. Legacy is a broken format, where only the best cards in Magic's history will ever make the cut. It doesnt matter if you make it 'common only', same principle applies: only the absolute most broken commons will ever matter.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

2 mana 4/4s used to be the standard for pauper, I stopped playing when Tron became about flicker loops to skip opponents attack steps but but then 4/4s weren't good enough.

Basically for a deck to work in pauper it has to win consistently by turn 4, or offer massive disruption starting t2. It is too slow to do the former and doesn't help you do the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    2 mana 4/4s used to be the standard for pauper, I stopped playing when Tron became about flicker loops to skip opponents attack steps but but then 4/4s weren't good enough.

Basically for a deck to work in pauper it has to win consistently by turn 4, or offer massive disruption starting t2. It is too slow to do the former and doesn't help you do the latter.
    Oooh interesting... I might go black/white/green for land enchantement and a lot of Final Payment then. Thank you for your advice!

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, Kaldheim previews have begun, and I'll be the first to say it:

More of that strange oil... It's probably nothing.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    So, Kaldheim previews have begun, and I'll be the first to say it:

More of that strange oil... It's probably nothing.
    I mean, they explicitly revealed that

Spoiler
    Show
    Vorinclex is on Kaldheim.

So...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I mean, they explicitly revealed that

Spoiler
    Show
    Vorinclex is on Kaldheim.

So...
    They're referencing that one Mirrodin card with the Vedalken poking at the goo.

Speaking of which, in the first chapter of the story, Kaya almost pokes the goo! And then fights Vorinclex! It's a testament to how ****ing badass Kaya is that she manages to take the guys arm off, at least temporarily.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Im not a big fans of Giants except maybe as opponents, no matter if it’s in D&D or MTG. And I prefer indestructible gods... but that God of Battle and bloodsky demon rogue with a giant battleaxe are too awesome to not put in my Alela deck, those dual sided land are awesome and I love a lot of cards in this set. Giant Amulet is perfect in my monoblue artifact deck, I’m exited about it. In short, I prefer this set to Zendikar Rising.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always wanted giants to become primarily green because of a random blogpost I read about the big fancy creature types for each color.

Also the reason I am posting. For reasons unknown to me I think I might dislike Kaya. And it has nothing to do with her characterization or anything because I don't read much is any MtG fiction so it is not based on her actual character. It might be a reaction to people thinking she is cool combined with seeing someone online randomly ranting about her killing the ghost council and liberating the spirits.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

20. - Top - End - #1220

That's... kind of weird a reason to dislike Kaya, but I sorta get it. Kaya is pretty cool though.

Incidentally the web fiction for Kaldheim has been pretty great so far. Two chapters, both of which are excellent.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I thought Kaya freed the spirits from the Orzov but without giving a solution as a backup plan for their organization, ruining Orzov I believe... but she meant well. I like her powers at least.

22. - Top - End - #1222

I thought Kaya freed the spirits from the Orzov but without giving a solution as a backup plan for their organization, ruining Orzov I believe... but she meant well. I like her powers at least.
    As someone who has read the book.

Kaya killed the Ghost Council, taking on all the debt of the Orzhov (not willingly). She spent some time releasing SOME debts here and there, freeing some spirits (not all). This annoyed Teysa, and they did some work to find a way to transfer the debt of the Orzhov from Kaya to Ral Zarek's boyfriend, Tomik, who is now the Guildmaster (with Teysa serving as advisor).

the Orzhov are still doing okay, they just lost some money. Not a big deal for anyone other than them, since they're mostly greedy, evil monsters.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-01-08 at 06:40 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

Kaya killed the Ghost Council, taking on all the debt of the Orzhov (not willingly). She spent some time releasing SOME debts here and there, freeing some spirits (not all). This annoyed Teysa, and they did some work to find a way to transfer the debt of the Orzhov from Kaya to Ral Zarek's boyfriend, Tomik, who is now the Guildmaster (with Teysa serving as advisor).

the Orzhov are still doing okay, they just lost some money. Not a big deal for anyone other than them, since they're mostly greedy, evil monsters.
    Ah thanks! I was partially right on the fact she is trying to be better then those greedy , evil monsters though... I think. Still, I really appreciate the heads up.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Troll in the Playground

I've looked in the past and I can't find it. The Johnny code.

The spike code:
    Spoiler: Spoilered because mean, in my opinion
    Show

Spike Code
    I will play what wins, not what is convenient. Personal preference is nothing. The win is all that matters. I will netdeck at every opportunity, but I will not let that stifle my creativity. Style points do not appear on tournament reports. A good deck with an incompetent pilot is nothing more than a dressed up match win. I will crush my opponent mercilessly, and expect no less from him. As ruthless as I am to get my win, I will never cheat. Not because it is wrong, but because the risk outweighs the reward. Victory is its own reward. The prize is just a bonus.

I'm a Johnny.

Spoiler
    Show

No not him

No not him either

This one, but I don't look like that:
    Spoiler
    Show

But I can't find the Johnny code online anymore. I can't remember much of the wording other than something about being creative is more important than the win. Does anyone know where it is or what it is?

Also: Secondary Note...
    Deck Idea based on Training Grounds + Manamorphose + Izzet Guildmage

Sideboard:
    Research//Development x1 (1 in deck also)
    Approach of the Second Sun x2
    Quicken x2

Optimal Play
    You go first
    T1: Island, Training Grounds
    T2: Mountain, Izzet Guildmage
    T3: A Land (Wastes, Island, w/e), Manamorphose, copy manamorphose, copy manamorphose... x30 or something
    T3p2: Research, copy Research, get 2 Approach of the Second Sun, 1 research, 2 quicken
    T3p3: Manamorphose till you get 1 quicken and 1 approach, cast quicken*, cast approach
    T3p4: Manamorphose till you get the other quicken and approach, cast quicken*, cast approach, win
    *If necessary cast research to avoid possibility of decking self when casting quicken

Can win on End Step of opponent turn as well potentially.

Could go green blue, but that would make the combo a little less likely maybe
    So, maybe bolts, grapeshot as another possibility, some counterspells?
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2021-01-09 at 08:12 PM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ettin in the Playground

Whenever I say that "there might, occasionally, situations in which some amount of life is more valuable than some other amount of mana" people hear "life is generally at least as value as an equal amount of mana" and then come to the conclusion that I'm an absolute noob who's always wrong. How does the former statement imply the latter, much more specific statement, in so many people's minds?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

26. - Top - End - #1226

Oh no! Are you OK?

Honestly, those books infuriated me (on top of what they were), because, normally, the vorthos in me and the completionist in my are working together, because I need to read ALL the lore, but, there, what I heard about them was so bad that I decided that reading them would actually hurt me as a vorthos, but I still feel the need to know what happened. Honestly, I just can't stand the fact that, if my secondary sources are correct, they broke up Chandra and Nissa (in an apparently biphobic way) AND Jace and Vraska. And yes, I know that this rant is over a year old, but I was reminded and now I am angry again.

Also, I don't think Kaya fought Vorinclex, just a random phyrexian he left along his path.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Titan in the Playground

Oh no! Are you OK?

Honestly, I just can't stand the fact that, if my secondary sources are correct, they broke up Chandra and Nissa (in an apparently biphobic way) AND Jace and Vraska. And yes, I know that this rant is over a year old, but I was reminded and now I am angry again.

Also, I don't think Kaya fought Vorinclex, just a random phyrexian he left along his path.
    From someone who is just getting in to reading these things but has read the WotS novels for some reason I can say this.

The writing is not good. Except for a handful of scenes.

Chandra tanking the Chandra/Nissa relationship read -to me- like a girl who is confused about her sexuality trying to come to terms with her own decisions. The pattern was she tried to say she was totally straight, then immediately started viewing Nissa in emotionally charged language. Literally a lightning bolt gets brought into the comparison. Followed by her saying, but I am totally straight though. To me that read like pure inability to self reflect. But that nuance seems hampered by the aforementioned poor writing.

However, I will say my opinion is limited by a few things.

1) I am not LGBTQ so what I read into the work is unlikely to be what someone who is read into the work.

2) I have not read up on everything leading to this point. Just bits here and there I could find on the cheap. As far as I have been able to tell, on the cheap is all the stories seem to be really worth. But I'm still reading them, so make of that what you will.

3) Romance is as a rule the worst, most boring part of any story. I really was not paying much attention to the romantic thread anyway. And romance in these stories seemed more boring than most.

4) Nissa is the worst. I could very well be rationalizing a way to read the events in a more favorable light since it lead the story in a way I approve of: Nissa being alone and not interacting with Chandra who is a more fun character to read about at least.

28. - Top - End - #1228

Oh no! Are you OK?

Honestly, those books infuriated me (on top of what they were), because, normally, the vorthos in me and the completionist in my are working together, because I need to read ALL the lore, but, there, what I heard about them was so bad that I decided that reading them would actually hurt me as a vorthos, but I still feel the need to know what happened. Honestly, I just can't stand the fact that, if my secondary sources are correct, they broke up Chandra and Nissa (in an apparently biphobic way) AND Jace and Vraska. And yes, I know that this rant is over a year old, but I was reminded and now I am angry again.

They did break up Chandra x Nissa, but did NOT break up Jace x Vraska. That relationship is still doing decently well, though with some underpining fear on Jace's part that he might be being used again. The book is... a mess, in a lot of ways, but there are good moments.

And yeah, the Chandra x Nissa stuff, how it ended, was pretty bad. Wouldn't go as far as to say biphobic, but definitely... blindly written. "Decidedly male" is a meme phrase for a reason. But it is, according to Maro, meant to be the first real step on Chandra's journey to realizing she's Pansexual, so there is that. And we know from Kaldheim that they're dedicating themselves to representation.

Kaya definitely fought Vorinclex.

29. - Top - End - #1229

They did break up Chandra x Nissa, but did NOT break up Jace x Vraska. That relationship is still doing decently well, though with some underpining fear on Jace's part that he might be being used again. The book is... a mess, in a lot of ways, but there are good moments.

And yeah, the Chandra x Nissa stuff, how it ended, was pretty bad. Wouldn't go as far as to say biphobic, but definitely... blindly written. "Decidedly male" is a meme phrase for a reason. But it is, according to Maro, meant to be the first real step on Chandra's journey to realizing she's Pansexual, so there is that. And we know from Kaldheim that they're dedicating themselves to representation.

Kaya definitely fought Vorinclex.
    Well, that's good to hear. I do contend that the scene in the linked card happens later in the story, though.

30. - Top - End - #1230

Well, that's good to hear. I do contend that the scene in the linked card happens later in the story, though.
    We have been told she gets her axes later in the story, and we know in the story that she fights Vorinclex with her knives, and this art shows her fighting him off with her knives. Also, the way they describe the Phyrexian in that first story, it is very clearly Vorinclex's new design.