Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2439404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Carlisle, Englund
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    I love that if you did one for Niv-Mizzet he'd suddenly get resurrected with out ever actually dying
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

  2. - Top - End - #1442
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Location, Location

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    So I kind of locked my opponent out of the game in the Historic Shakeup (week 3). {Scrubbed} was playing a deathtouch tribal deck. I ended up getting the Immortal Sun, Overwhelming Splendor, and Revenge of Ravens out. My opponent's creatures were stuck being vanilla 1/1s, the planeswalkers could do nothing, I was on track to getting my deck's win-con out. (Sanctum of the Sun, Sanguine Sacrament, Torment of Hailfire.)
    {Scrubbed}
    I kind of felt sorry for my opponent. But then I remembered that I had 6 poison counters.
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-03-27 at 10:49 PM.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

    Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

    How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

  3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Malaysia

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    I love that if you did one for Niv-Mizzet he'd suddenly get resurrected with out ever actually dying
    Which is a crime, IMHO. Niv-Mizzet taking on Bolas, albeit briefly and unsuccessfully, would have made great card art.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

    General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

  4. - Top - End - #1444
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Personification's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    CLASSIFIED
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    In fairness, it wasn't like that was in the books either. It was in the (infinitely better) prequel story that they did literally nothing to advertise or acknowledge and couldn't be accessed from their site.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

    Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

  5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Its the first time Im interested in buying TWO new Commander decks, the Izzet and Boros one. Because even if I dont end up playing them, the cards inside would be perfect for the decks I already have lol

  6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Malaysia

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    A bunch of short stories on the main website; the first two are the main story and the third is a side story:
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ion-2021-03-25
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ons-2021-03-31
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...gic-2021-03-26

    Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    A little annoyed that Garruk got handwaved out of the story with a single line, but I guess he's not meant to be in this set to begin with.

    Liliana is apparently a former student...who nobody at the school recognizes. Her involvement with Bolas may not be relevant to what she claims is a largely isolated institution, but alumni coming back in disguise? You'd think there'd be magic for that.

    Part two reveals that she hoped to resurrect Gideon but the dragon she asks for help says it's a no-go. Not that it's impossible, but it's super risky.

    Part two also seems to indicate that the Oriq are not as capable as their sinister aura would indicate. But now their leader is having a chat with Lukka things will probably change. Based on the revealed cards we know that some big things will eventually go down.

    The Rootha story is...alright I guess? Having a "regular student" POV isn't the worst idea anyhow.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

    General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

  7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Carlisle, Englund
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post

    Liliana is apparently a former student...who nobody at the school recognizes. Her involvement with Bolas may not be relevant to what she claims is a largely isolated institution, but alumni coming back in disguise? You'd think there'd be magic for that.
    Sheís like 200 years old, itís possible that anyone who was around when she was studying has died/moved on/got tenure so never leave their office
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

  8. - Top - End - #1448
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Sheís like 200 years old, itís possible that anyone who was around when she was studying has died/moved on/got tenure so never leave their office
    Yeah, this checks out. Places you last visited 50 years ago tend to have issues recognizing you.

    Even liches or dragons or other long-lived entities would plausibly not recognize you; they probably never cared enough about your existence to remember you day to day, much less after decades. I could buy this.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2021-04-01 at 01:16 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #1449
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Keep in mind the last time she was here she was also;

    1: 18 years old
    2: an old-walker with unending youth

    The women she is now is a reasonably aged 40 something year old woman. No one is going to recognize her even if anyone IS alive to do so.

    And also even if they did recognize her, I doubt anyone on this plane would care much? How many people here are gonna have a chance to talk to someone who would know she went to school here, know she's currently faking the dead, and would know that Liliana was present here recently?


    Back to normal Zodi avatars for awhile.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Is there a reason they would care? Like, did she burn the school down or something? It's not like the are walkers and know about Bolas right?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  11. - Top - End - #1451
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amechra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Where I live.

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Do we actually know for a fact that the rest of the faculty doesn't recognize her? For all we know, she's been a big donor to the school for a couple of centuries, so they were more than happy to give her a position when she asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    I'm back to playing videogames for the internet! Current games: Klonoa: Empire of Dreams and Alundra.

  12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Anyone try the April Fools Arena thing?

    First match I got Tibaltís Trickeryíd into Ulamog. And that was pretty much enough of that for me.

  13. - Top - End - #1453
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Personification's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    CLASSIFIED
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    She outright says she wasn't recognized, either as an alum (which I would assume she was post-mending, if only because pre-mending she would have been too powerful to need skill) or as the somewhat famous fugitive planeswalker (because most people here are apparently aware of the multiverse and know at least something of the goings on of the major planes). On the other hand, I personally think that Dragonlord Witherbloom knows and is turning a blind eye, and there is no way that Kasmina doesn't know. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the older vampire Witherbloom faculty remember her, even if nobody else is old enough to remember.

    Also, I find it funny that people STILL think she's in Silverquill, even though her skill set always fit better in Witherbloom and we now have it confirmed that she is there.

    Finally, I like that Lukka is still definitely somewhere south of neutral, as I was worried after the first article that they would forget that they had turned him into an antagonist.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

    Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

  14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    She outright says she wasn't recognized, either as an alum (which I would assume she was post-mending, if only because pre-mending she would have been too powerful to need skill) or as the somewhat famous fugitive planeswalker (because most people here are apparently aware of the multiverse and know at least something of the goings on of the major planes). On the other hand, I personally think that Dragonlord Witherbloom knows and is turning a blind eye, and there is no way that Kasmina doesn't know. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the older vampire Witherbloom faculty remember her, even if nobody else is old enough to remember.

    Also, I find it funny that people STILL think she's in Silverquill, even though her skill set always fit better in Witherbloom and we now have it confirmed that she is there.
    In fairness here, her main story arc has been about her weaseling out of written contracts far more than it has been about her ability to recognize which herbs are medicinal.

  15. - Top - End - #1455
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Personification's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    CLASSIFIED
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    In fairness here, her main story arc has been about her weaseling out of written contracts far more than it has been about her ability to recognize which herbs are medicinal.
    Her main storyline has been about being a very good NECROMANCER (Witherloom) while being so incompetent with contract law that she literally had the contract tattooed on her skin in glowing purple runes and she still didn't take the time to read or understand it in the potentially decades-long period during which she was under its influence.

    The main point being that Silverquill doesn't teach necromancy and she isn't really qualified to teach anything else.

    Now, Davriel you could make a point about, as his two main things are tying demonic contracts in knots and drinking tea, and if he appeared at the school as a Witherbloom professor of tea brewing I would be rightfully annoyed. On the other hand, I'm still not positive that Extus and the Oriq as a whole didn't steal their aesthetic entirely from Davriel. (I also think that he may have been to Strixhaven at some point, as one of the spells that he had stolen from someone in the past spontaneously generates ink.)
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

    Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

  16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Now, Davriel you could make a point about, as his two main things are tying demonic contracts in knots and drinking tea, and if he appeared at the school as a Witherbloom professor of tea brewing I would be rightfully annoyed. On the other hand, I'm still not positive that Extus and the Oriq as a whole didn't steal their aesthetic entirely from Davriel. (I also think that he may have been to Strixhaven at some point, as one of the spells that he had stolen from someone in the past spontaneously generates ink.)
    I now want to see him be a professor of tea brewing.
    It must happen.
    There should also be a tea brewing based mtg expansion.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-04-02 at 06:31 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #1457
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Personification's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    CLASSIFIED
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    I now want to see him be a professor of tea brewing.
    It must happen.
    There should also be a tea brewing based mtg expansion.
    I bet it's in Universes Beyond.
    Honestly, I don't actually think Dav brewed the tea himself, he probably had a demon do it.

    Also, for Adventures in the Forgotten Realms, do you think we'll get red Demons and black Devils, as normally between the franchises they are switched in how they act?
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

    Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

  18. - Top - End - #1458
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    I bet it's in Universes Beyond.
    Honestly, I don't actually think Dav brewed the tea himself, he probably had a demon do it.

    Also, for Adventures in the Forgotten Realms, do you think we'll get red Demons and black Devils, as normally between the franchises they are switched in how they act?
    Possibly! Though I've never really noticed that myself in DND?

    Also, as for Lukka; I ****ing love that his card's abilities are all "I am abusing an animal" flavour wise, it is kind of perfect. I genuinely really enjoy Lukka as a villain because he's just completely without any positive traits. He's a nasty garbage man who doesn't bathe and hurts animals because he doesn't think they're people, even though he has the super cool and unique power to touch the souls of them. He has zero ability to reflect on what this power really means and it's kind of brilliant.

    I also really, really like how Extus's introduction narrative wise is him... realizing he's kinda ****ed? The Oriq are kinda **** at this for the most part, he doesn't have enough power stored up to do anything he actually wants, and the only way he'd be able to is if he happened to find someone with the ability to control a large swathe of highly dangerous but easily replaceable cannon fodder, but who also is tactically minded enough to be able to use these cannon fodders to distract the many many powerful and smart mages at Strixhaven, but ALSO has complete authority over said cannon fodder to ensure they work perfectly in sync with everything going on because even one false step will almost certainly lead to the plan failing entirely.

    And then his minions tell him that the ex military vet with animal mind control powers and literally zero morals showed up and he's just like "ah, excellent". It's fantastic.

    (and the absolute kicker to all of this is that his plans are going to be thwarted by two dumbass bisexual disasters who have maybe two brain-cells between them.)

    EDIT: oho oho oho my other thoughts on the other things, in response to Haruspex.

    I feel like Garruk could make a surprise appearance in the set still, but we'll see.

    And as an autistic person, Rootha's story was really really REALLY good, and I like that the red Prismari dean is nonbinary. That's rad!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-04-02 at 09:38 AM.


    Back to normal Zodi avatars for awhile.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  19. - Top - End - #1459
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Personification's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    CLASSIFIED
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Possibly! Though I've never really noticed that myself in DND?
    -----
    (and the absolute kicker to all of this is that his plans are going to be thwarted by two dumbass bisexual disasters who have maybe two brain-cells between them.)
    -----
    EDIT: oho oho oho my other thoughts on the other things, in response to Haruspex.

    I feel like Garruk could make a surprise appearance in the set still, but we'll see.
    -----
    And as an autistic person, Rootha's story was really really REALLY good, and I like that the red Prismari dean is nonbinary. That's rad!
    To point 1: In D&D, Devils are Lawful and make pacts with mortals, (as in "deal with the devil") and Demons are Chaotic murderhobos. In M:tG, Demons are Black-aligned and make pacts with mortals, (as in demonic bargain) and Devils are Red-aligned murderhobos.

    To point 2: Chandra and Nissa are on Strixhaven?! But in all seriousness, do we have confirmation that the Twins are bi, or did you mean someone else?

    To point 3: Maybe, but unless everyone is lying he doesn't have a card, and with the current story paradigm of five articles on topic, 5 of side stories, they haven't even had time to really tell the story of the main sets so far, let alone go on tangents with other planeswalkers, so I doubt it.

    To point 4: I didn't catch that. I did, as someone with ADD, really connect with the line about her fiddling with her bracelets in order to stop herself from messing with her claws, and Dean Nassari was great. I will say, I did have some issues with the story though: First, from what we have there, the teaching/grading structure at Strixhaven doesn't really make any sense (and they NEED to put some sort of security around their very-delicate art installations donated by alums). Second, while it worked for this story in its way, early in spoilers people pointed out how problematic it is to have most of the students be legacies, especially because it turns the "legacy student trying to escape their parent's shadow while feeling like they might only be there because their parent donated" conflict from an interesting struggle for one character for whom it works into "that thing that all of the spotlighted students have except for the Twins, and THEY are the wealthy children of a foreign political leader who got into school on a sports scholarship, so they fit into an entirely different problematic school trope.

    Separate from all of that, looking at card flavor, are there ANY Silverquill students who don't look like awful people? I know it's a combat game, but still. You can like puns and not be objectively terrible.

    EDIT: Also, we were joking about tea studies, but I'm like 90% sure that that is Dina's major.
    Last edited by Personification; 2021-04-02 at 11:08 AM.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

    Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

  20. - Top - End - #1460
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    To point 1: In D&D, Devils are Lawful and make pacts with mortals, (as in "deal with the devil") and Demons are Chaotic murderhobos. In M:tG, Demons are Black-aligned and make pacts with mortals, (as in demonic bargain) and Devils are Red-aligned murderhobos.

    To point 2: Chandra and Nissa are on Strixhaven?! But in all seriousness, do we have confirmation that the Twins are bi, or did you mean someone else?

    To point 3: Maybe, but unless everyone is lying he doesn't have a card, and with the current story paradigm of five articles on topic, 5 of side stories, they haven't even had time to really tell the story of the main sets so far, let alone go on tangents with other planeswalkers, so I doubt it.

    To point 4: I didn't catch that. I did, as someone with ADD, really connect with the line about her fiddling with her bracelets in order to stop herself from messing with her claws, and Dean Nassari was great. I will say, I did have some issues with the story though: First, from what we have there, the teaching/grading structure at Strixhaven doesn't really make any sense (and they NEED to put some sort of security around their very-delicate art installations donated by alums). Second, while it worked for this story in its way, early in spoilers people pointed out how problematic it is to have most of the students be legacies, especially because it turns the "legacy student trying to escape their parent's shadow while feeling like they might only be there because their parent donated" conflict from an interesting struggle for one character for whom it works into "that thing that all of the spotlighted students have except for the Twins, and THEY are the wealthy children of a foreign political leader who got into school on a sports scholarship, so they fit into an entirely different problematic school trope.

    Separate from all of that, looking at card flavor, are there ANY Silverquill students who don't look like awful people? I know it's a combat game, but still. You can like puns and not be objectively terrible.

    EDIT: Also, we were joking about tea studies, but I'm like 90% sure that that is Dina's major.
    Huh. Right, that is the case. I hadn't realized that difference. It'll be cool to get some strong devils, then!

    The twins are bi, yeah. There has not been any "hello I am Will rowan and I like both men and women" confirmation, but in their book both of them swoon over their male AND female childhood friends, and it is cute. They're bi, 100%. Also Chandra is specifically intended to be pansexual by Maro's word of god.

    I genuinely expected Will and Rowan to just call up Uncle G to help them out with the Bad **** That Is Happening. That'll be how he shows up. We also don't know the full card set yet he could show up. I am wishful thinking though.

    Only Killian and Rootha have that origin? Quint isn't a legacy he literally is working jobs he is studying for to pay his tuition as he goes, Dina was an orphan, and Zimone is just a prodigy. I do get where they're coming from with that being an issue, but right now it only feels like Rootha is the one who has that "I am only here because of my parent's money" plotline. Killian, for good or ill, has his Tiger Dad situation, but the other three don't have this as a focus at all.

    There's a bunch of Silverquill stuff that doesn't sound negative. For example; Rootha's ex from her story is a Silverquill vampire in a White mana role who was legitimately just trying to help fluff her up. There are other cards as well, I just am busy so I can't hunt them down at the mo.


    Back to normal Zodi avatars for awhile.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  21. - Top - End - #1461
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amechra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Where I live.

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    I'll be kinda honest ó I wish that Zimone hadn't been the "super smart prodigy, skipped a year don'tcha know". Because "only smart people do math" is a pretty frustrating stereotype.

    EDIT: Actually, I find a lot of Quandrix's flavor kinda frustrating... which is a shame, because that's basically my color pair right there.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2021-04-02 at 12:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    I'm back to playing videogames for the internet! Current games: Klonoa: Empire of Dreams and Alundra.

  22. - Top - End - #1462
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Personification's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    CLASSIFIED
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Huh. Right, that is the case. I hadn't realized that difference. It'll be cool to get some strong devils, then!

    The twins are bi, yeah. There has not been any "hello I am Will rowan and I like both men and women" confirmation, but in their book both of them swoon over their male AND female childhood friends, and it is cute. They're bi, 100%. Also Chandra is specifically intended to be pansexual by Maro's word of god.

    I genuinely expected Will and Rowan to just call up Uncle G to help them out with the Bad **** That Is Happening. That'll be how he shows up. We also don't know the full card set yet he could show up. I am wishful thinking though.

    Only Killian and Rootha have that origin? Quint isn't a legacy he literally is working jobs he is studying for to pay his tuition as he goes, Dina was an orphan, and Zimone is just a prodigy. I do get where they're coming from with that being an issue, but right now it only feels like Rootha is the one who has that "I am only here because of my parent's money" plotline. Killian, for good or ill, has his Tiger Dad situation, but the other three don't have this as a focus at all.

    There's a bunch of Silverquill stuff that doesn't sound negative. For example; Rootha's ex from her story is a Silverquill vampire in a White mana role who was legitimately just trying to help fluff her up. There are other cards as well, I just am busy so I can't hunt them down at the mo.
    I had totally forgotten that part of Wildered Quest, but you're totally right. Also, I knew the Chandra thing, so that is my bad for mischaracterizing it.

    As to Garruk, there are a few issues. First, the Twins don't actually have a reliable way to contact him. Second, from a meta perspective if he were in the story he would have a card, and unless we've been lied to we know all of the walkers for this set.

    Also, technically Zimone is also a legacy, her grandmother was a famous Quandrix mage who went missing years before. (Spooooooky plot hooks.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I'll be kinda honest ó I wish that Zimone hadn't been the "super smart prodigy, skipped a year don'tcha know". Because "only smart people do math" is a pretty frustrating stereotype.

    EDIT: Actually, I find a lot of Quandrix's flavor kinda frustrating... which is a shame, because that's basically my color pair right there.
    I kind of agree there. I prefer child prodigy characters to be somewhat self-conscious and aware of the fact that things don't come as easily to others as to them, because otherwise they almost invariably end up reading like self-centered brats who look down upon the simple-minded fools that surround them. Unfortunately, from her flavor text and the semi-canon preview article Zimone seems more the former than the latter. On top of that, while the overall flavor of Quandrix feels like it fits real math and physics minded people, the specifics we have gotten feel like they were written by people who think that all high-level math is either competitive glasses-pushing or Iron Man saying "Find me that eigenvector... invert it... I've discovered time travel." As someone who really likes math, the fact that their big characterization tagline on reveal day was that they "recite pi backwards" annoys me to know end, because it is an obvious and fundamental misunderstanding of one of the main things that makes pi significant as a number.

    Also, real fractals are beautiful and interesting. Why don't the fractal tokens look like real fractals?

    On a completely unrelated note, according to the map in the Planeswalkers' Guide to Arcavios, the detention bog is like 500 miles away from the school (I'm exaggerating, but it really is far). Why?
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

    Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

  23. - Top - End - #1463
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    I had totally forgotten that part of Wildered Quest, but you're totally right. Also, I knew the Chandra thing, so that is my bad for mischaracterizing it.

    As to Garruk, there are a few issues. First, the Twins don't actually have a reliable way to contact him. Second, from a meta perspective if he were in the story he would have a card, and unless we've been lied to we know all of the walkers for this set.

    Also, technically Zimone is also a legacy, her grandmother was a famous Quandrix mage who went missing years before. (Spooooooky plot hooks.)



    I kind of agree there. I prefer child prodigy characters to be somewhat self-conscious and aware of the fact that things don't come as easily to others as to them, because otherwise they almost invariably end up reading like self-centered brats who look down upon the simple-minded fools that surround them. Unfortunately, from her flavor text and the semi-canon preview article Zimone seems more the former than the latter. On top of that, while the overall flavor of Quandrix feels like it fits real math and physics minded people, the specifics we have gotten feel like they were written by people who think that all high-level math is either competitive glasses-pushing or Iron Man saying "Find me that eigenvector... invert it... I've discovered time travel." As someone who really likes math, the fact that their big characterization tagline on reveal day was that they "recite pi backwards" annoys me to know end, because it is an obvious and fundamental misunderstanding of one of the main things that makes pi significant as a number.

    Also, real fractals are beautiful and interesting. Why don't the fractal tokens look like real fractals?

    On a completely unrelated note, according to the map in the Planeswalkers' Guide to Arcavios, the detention bog is like 500 miles away from the school (I'm exaggerating, but it really is far). Why?
    I forgot about her grandma vanishing and being important, fair point. That said I don't think that means she's old money in the way Rootha's family is. And I'm shocked people aren't liking Quandrix, it really gets into the beauty and wonder of math. I'm not a math person myself, but I can get why people like it, when looking at it from this lens.

    For what it is worth, I know from one of the writers for MTG that I follow that the intent of a lot of that stuff IS to annoy people. The Quandrix like to tease people sometimes.


    Back to normal Zodi avatars for awhile.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    "Reciting pi backwards" is something I couldn't even begin to do.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  25. - Top - End - #1465
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Personification's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    CLASSIFIED
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I forgot about her grandma vanishing and being important, fair point. That said I don't think that means she's old money in the way Rootha's family is. And I'm shocked people aren't liking Quandrix, it really gets into the beauty and wonder of math. I'm not a math person myself, but I can get why people like it, when looking at it from this lens.

    For what it is worth, I know from one of the writers for MTG that I follow that the intent of a lot of that stuff IS to annoy people. The Quandrix like to tease people sometimes.
    That's sort of my point. Conceptually, the Quandrix are great, and their deans feel the most real to me of any of them. The flavor on the cards works too, mostly. My issue is that so far in their promotional materials they haven't been matching that. I am specifically focusing on the "pi backwards" thing and the Quandrix campus tour card reveal article, which to me read as mostly lazy technobabble and poorly executed snark with a few cards thrown in. In fairness, those articles ALWAYS read like that, but here it felt especially egregious. Your point about it being somewhat intentional is part of the issue. Creative gave marketing a college full of beautiful imagery and people who are, for the most part, passionate about math, physics, learning, and teaching, and marketing gave us a preview article where this was all characterized as a cross between Princess Unikitty shouting "Business Business Business" and White Hat from xkcd and the first impression we got of the Quandrix focus student was overall fairly negative. I honestly expect that when she does turn up in the story it will be as a much more well-rounded character, and that when we actually interact with the Quandrix students in the story they will better reflect what we have seen on the cards and what I am hoping for, it's just that we haven't seen any of that yet.

    On a completely unrelated note, there are a ridiculously large number of non-printer related production issues in this set. Some of the JP Mystical Archive art got swapped, the Prismari Commander got the wrong epithet in his own textbox, there is an Orc with type Elf in its alternate art, and the set's obligatory busted Simic Quandrix mythic MDFC has two different costs for the back side depending on the version. I feel like someone either needs to be hired or someone needs to be fired and I'm not sure which.

    EDIT: So, after some investigation it seems that the last two issues are only on the digital images and not the printed cards, but still.
    Last edited by Personification; 2021-04-02 at 04:36 PM.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

    Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

  26. - Top - End - #1466
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Eh, honestly, the only person I know who went on from a math course to working with advanced mathematics for some government think tank thing, was a guy who jumped grades, arrogantly talked down to everyone, and seemed impatient when people were taking longer than him to do just about anything. So Iíve mostly felt that quandrix has been hitting the fluff nail on the head.

    Though Iíve seen less about drug use than he did. So I guess that is a bit of a miss. But I donít think WotC is really going to get into that part of college.

  27. - Top - End - #1467
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amechra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Where I live.

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm not a math person myself
    Yep!

    In all seriousness, that's what my issue with Quandrix is. Almost all of the specifics we've seen about the college have been "people who don't know anything about math writing about math for people who aren't math people". It's like how doctor shows or cop shows drive doctors and cops up the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    I'm back to playing videogames for the internet! Current games: Klonoa: Empire of Dreams and Alundra.

  28. - Top - End - #1468
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Well, my friend who IS into math really likes it, so to each their own. A shame Quandrix has fallen out of favour with so many people.

    Also yeah this set has uh... lets call them technical difficulties. Lets not forget how Crux of Fate's mythic archive was composed of copy-pasted and slightly edited official and fan art the artist stole due to feeling under impress time pressure.


    Back to normal Zodi avatars for awhile.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  29. - Top - End - #1469
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    I work in an extremely technical field, next to graduated math majors on a daily basis.

    They tend to be smart, good-natured, and a bit lazy in my experience, which are the best kind of coworkers. Lazy in the 'find the easiest way to solve this problem if it takes me all day' sense. Quoth a math graduate I know, "I didn't get a math degree so I'd have to do math!" (Mostly in relation to actually plugging numbers into an equation, instead of modeling things as equations.)

    And yes, pi backwards is... so dumb I don't even know where to begin with it.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

    Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post

    And yes, pi backwards is... so dumb I don't even know where to begin with it.
    I think they were going for a math phrase but purposely said in an impossible way to evoke a feeling of magical wonder.

    To me it was a shrug and ignore moment. It seems it did not land for a lot of people.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •