New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Or, and hear me out, 100 cents of an Euro to one Euro. Two one-Euro coins to a two-Euro coin. Five one-Euro coins to a five-Euro bill. Two five-Euro bills to a ten-euro bills. Two ten-Euro bills to a twenty-Euro bill. Five ten-Euro bills to a fifty-Euro bill. Two fifty-Euro bills to a one-hundred-Euro bill. And five one-hundred-Euro bills to a five-hundred-Euro bill.

I know it’s complicated but I’m sure you Brits could pull it off given time and a portable calculator.
    Honestly that sounds only a bit simpler than the American system, our main complexity is a handful of coins that are 1, 5, 10 and 25 cents (no one uses half or silver dollars and if someone tells you that they are a liar), and dimes and quarters are still fairly useful and easy to differ out them in relation to a dollar (screw pennies and nickels).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly that sounds only a bit simpler than the American system, our main complexity is a handful of coins that are 1, 5, 10 and 25 cents (no one uses half or silver dollars and if someone tells you that they are a liar), and dimes and quarters are still fairly useful and easy to differ out them in relation to a dollar (screw pennies and nickels).
    Cents come in ones, twos, fives, tens, twentys, and fifties.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Cents come in ones, twos, fives, tens, twentys, and fifties.
    Wait a minute; dollars come in ones, twos, fives, tens, twenties, and fifties.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    And 100s, they also come in hundreds, about as complex as the euro in that department.
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

The Euro is cheating because it's new. It has nice recognizable coins and banknotes because it's new so it doesn't have to be compatible with the previous generation of coins and banknotes. The forint is hard to use the way it is because of backwards compatibility. We used to have nice recognizable coins: the 1 forint and the 2 forint coins had unique small sizes so they were easy to recognize. We don't use them anymore because of inflation, but new coins aren't that small because it would be strange to have the largest valued coins with such a small size, and existing coins can't easily change sizes either because they are long-lived, and it was confusing enough when the 100 and 200 forint coins changed size. We used to have nice recognizable banknotes. The most frequently used banknotes were the small-valued ones: the green 200 forint, the red 500 forint, and the blue 1000 forint notes. But because of inflation, the 200 forint banknote is no longer used, and the 500 forint note is getting rare. So we have one recognizable banknote, and a palette of different shades of brown for the rest, each of which already changed color twice to slowly try to navigate them to a more recognizable set. If the bank keeps up the good work, they might eventually get to a usable set of notes with a hundred more years of gradual changes, and a usable set of coins in two hundred years. The designers of the Euro didn't try for anything nice like that: they decided that everyone has to get used to the new cash in just two months.

That said, I do wish we had banknotes with different sizes, like the Euro has. That does make them much more recognizable.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-09-13 at 04:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

But not coins, right? Anyway I was making fun of the Brits, for a change.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

But not coins, right? Anyway I was making fun of the Brits, for a change.
    I was being amused with the thought that the euro cents mirror the American dollar system, rather than something purely base-10 like I keep hearing about with other units.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

I was being amused with the thought that the euro cents mirror the American dollar system, rather than something purely base-10 like I keep hearing about with other units.
    Well it's not part of the metric system, is it? Different challenges mean different solutions. Having just cents "decents" and Euros would be cumbersome as all hell.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Different challenges mean different solutions. Having just cents "decents" and Euros would be cumbersome as all hell.
    That's about what I say about Imperial units, too. Usually right before someone accuses me of being wrong by virtue of not using the(ir) metric system all the time.

10. - Top - End - #250

That's about what I say about Imperial units, too. Usually right before someone accuses me of being wrong by virtue of not using the(ir) metric system all the time.
    What is the use of the random stuff in the imperial system (and I’m an American, I use the imperial system by virtue of it being the one I was raised with), I can only remember what’s in a mile on a good day, barely any day can I remember volume, and Fahrenheit is downright bonkers, the metric system in length is 1:10:100:1000 etc, 1:1000 for mass and volume and 0 is freezing 100 is boiling, units of measurement are only useful in numbers, you have to divide and carry physical things for currency (and coincidentally when you are doing stuff online any denominations are completely removed so it is just how many dollars to the specificity of one hundredth of a dollar).
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

That's about what I say about Imperial units, too.
    What? You say that they have the exact same use as the metric system unlike currencies, they're just objectively worse at it than the metric system.
    Usually right before someone accuses me of being wrong by virtue of not using the(ir) metric system all the time.
    Well, you are, aren't you?

EDIT: I mean what is the point of having your scientists and population use two widely different systems? Just get on with the programm already.

EDIT 2:
    1:1000 for mass and volume
    Centi- deci- deca and hectograms exist but nobody uses them (except centigrams for stuff like medication).
    Centi- deci- deca- and hectolitres, however are often used (except decalitres because nobody ever use decaanything).
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-13 at 05:08 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I usually just don't talk about Imperial units, since I don't know anyone who uses them.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I usually just don't talk about Imperial units, since I don't know anyone who uses them.
    They don't use them in Alabama, USA?

EDIT:
    Spoiler: Just for you
    Show
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-13 at 05:16 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

I mean what is the point of having your scientists and population use two widely different systems? Just get on with the programm already.
    It's very interesting how teaspoons and cups and such map so cleanly in proportion to stuff like chicken eggs and pounds of meat...almost like it's a domain-specific set of measurements intended for recipes.

But that's rather the lesser point. I am capable of converting from one unit to another when it's necessary for the situation (including when someone else needing the measure is more comfortable with different units), and as such it shouldn't matter to anyone else which unit I choose initially.

15. - Top - End - #255

They don't use them in Alabama, USA?
    Oh, heavens no. Like the rest of the country, we use U.S. Customary Units. Which are like Imperial units, but like 0.00X% different.
    Spoiler: Just for you
    Show
    I knew what that was before I even opened it. Still loved it.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, but how many bees for a quarter?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

It's very interesting how teaspoons and cups and such map so cleanly in proportion to stuff like chicken eggs and pounds of meat...almost like it's a domain-specific set of measurements intended for recipes.
    Not sure what your point is there. As far as I can tell these aren't metric nor imperial. They barely qualify as units even.

But that's rather the lesser point. I am capable of converting from one unit to another when it's necessary for the situation (including when someone else needing the measure is more comfortable with different units), and as such it shouldn't matter to anyone else which unit I choose initially.
    Oh, I don't give a hoot what you do (as long as you don't crash stuff on Mars of course) but one system is objectively better designed (and rooted in universal constants, now*).
    Oh, heavens no. Like the rest of the country, we use U.S. Customary Units. Which are like Imperial units, but like 0.00X% different.
    Wait, thought you didn't like prescriptivism.
    By the way, no-one uses "the metric system" either. We use the International System of Units (S.I.).

I knew what that was before I even opened it. Still loved it.
    Okay, but did you guess that one?
    Spoiler
    Show

*Technically so are Imperial units but only because they are defined by the metric units.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #258

Not sure what your point is there. As far as I can tell these aren't metric nor imperial. They barely qualify as units even.
    Teaspoons and cups are Imperial units of volume, frequently used in the world of cooking.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Teaspoons and cups are Imperial units of volume, frequently used in the world of cooking.
    Seriously? That's hilarious!

Is "one glass" a unit too?
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #260

Nope, we do have tablespoons though, and we called two different units of measurement ounces so in volume we have to call it a fluid ounce.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. Feet and miles and Fahrenheit are carried forward in no small part by legal/historical reference points. (And by "legal", I mean road speed limits are in miles per hour; that gives a lot of significance to the mile right there)

Teaspoons/cups/etc., though, do in fact work as a proportional framework for recipes, one that can work with small whole numbers (or clean fractions) of units alongside small whole numbers of chicken eggs (which are a huge pain to deal with in partial measures....).

Oh, I don't give a hoot what you do (as long as you don't crash stuff on Mars of course) but one system is objectively better designed (and rooted in universal constants, now*).
    *Technically so are Imperial units but only because they are defined by the metric units.
    Precisely: Conversion by formulae is exact now. The metric system is an excellent all-purpose system of measures, and conversion to/from domain-specific units can be done whenever their particular specialization would be better/worse.

Nope, we do have tablespoons though, and we called two different units of measurement ounces so in volume we have to call it a fluid ounce.
    And don't be so Troy about Avoirdupois, either.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

No, but "drop", "smidgen", "pinch" and "dash" are, and they have exact definitions. If a recipe says to add a pinch of salt, you should measure out precisely one sixteenth of a teaspoon. If it says to add a dash of vanilla, then measure out one eighth of a teaspoon.
    Last edited by Ron Miel; 2019-09-13 at 06:19 PM.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    No, but "drop", "smidgen", "pinch" and "dash" are, and they have exact definitions. If a recipe says to add a pinch of salt, you should measure out precisely one sixteenth of a teaspoon. If it says to add a dash of vanilla, then measure out one eighth of a teaspoon.
    I guess those are the correct amounts, I just put a small amount of whatever in it.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264

Wait, thought you didn't like prescriptivism.
    I make exceptions when I think it's funny.

Also SI is a silly system. The kilogram? Come on. Y'all make fun of imperial being whacky with the numbers, but and then turn around and use base units that are 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1, 000 of a thing, and 602,214,076,000,000,000,000,000 of a thing.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

I make exceptions when I think it's funny.

Also SI is a silly system. The kilogram? Come on. Y'all make fun of imperial being whacky with the numbers, but and then turn around and use base units that are 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1, 000 of a thing, and 602,214,076,000,000,000,000,000 of a thing.
    602, 214, 076, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000 of anything actually*. The kilogram thing is a naming issue not a unit definition one.

By the way, the current question is
    Find a reference to a city in the USA, that isn't St Louis. Or Mississipi.
    In case anyone is wondering.

*Seriously, how is mole a real unit?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-13 at 06:44 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

How many farthings in a guinea, again?
    It's...hm. A guinea is about 3 and a half hamsters, so you'd want to convert from farthing to hamster.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Find a reference to a city in the USA, that isn't St Louis. Or Mississipi.
    Do buffalo wings count; since they're named after Buffalo, New York?

OQ if so.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Bingo.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, you're talking about decimal units other than money? Those are even better than the ones for money. We measure car speed in kilometers per hour, power in horsepowers, energy in kilowatt hours, blood pressure in millimeters of mercury but tire pressure in atmospheres, temperature in degrees celsius, engine rotation frequency in one per minute, specific food energy in kilocalories in 100 grams, quantity of certain foods in either liters or kilograms for the same sort of food, etc. And that's not even counting the totally random power of ten modifiers that people use for all units. It's so great to have so many incompatible units but then act snub about the many incompatible units that americans use.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Do buffalo wings count; since they're named after Buffalo, New York?

OQ if so.
    Find me three people (or voices if that's applicable) saying the same exact sentence in the same panel.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad