New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Quote Originally Posted by javianhalt View Post
    Hello!
    I'm new to this forum but I have been reading your character backstories and loved them!
    I will run a new character in an upcoming campaign in Faerun and maybe you could help me with some bits of backstory to complement my character personality.

Name: Oleg Blackbones
    Race: Mountain Dwarf
    Class: Twilight Cleric
    Background: Clan Crafter

I don't have the characteristics set in stone yet.
    The most thinking I've done so far involves the base picture for the character (https://imgur.com/jxmwnFm)
    I'm initially thinking about a stereotypical "russian hard skinned guy" that deep down has a good and warming heart.

I don't know a lot about the continent (he is probably from the north somewhere around Neverwinter, I guess?) or the deities he could be serving as a twilight cleric for example.

EDIT: I've decided on a few more details, if that's alright

He is proficient in Smith's and Tinker's tools and plays a Balalaika (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvWWVub9cc4)
    Consider it added to my list!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdguy88 View Post
    This is a really cool thread. It’s been so much fun to read through everything you have done!
    Here is a character concept I have been working on if you are able to help.
    Name: Barnaby Oswald Boyd (Bob)
    Setting: Faerun
    Class: Wizard 1/Sorcerer(Aberrant) 1/Cleric(Arcane) 1
    Race: VHuman
    Background: Cloistered Scholar
    Diety: Mystra
    Str 8, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16
    Feat: Spell Sniper (Eldritch Blast)

Personality: There's nothing I like more than a good mystery.
    Ideals: Self-Improvement. The goal of a life of study is the betterment of oneself.
    Bonds: I sold my soul for knowledge. I hope to do great deeds and win it back.
    Flaws: I am easily distracted by the promise of information.

Character concept: Bob loves magic in all its forms. He is especially enamored with cantrip magic and will do just about anything to get more of it. He originally joined a wizard college but did not do very well after learning the basics. Bob is easily distracted and loses focus regularly. The plan is to take as many spell casting classes as possible to get all the cantrips if he can. The thought of why cantrip magic is unlimited while everything else isn't seemed interesting. Learning everything he can about cantrips is one of his main goals.

Spells:
    Eldritch Blast - Spellsniper
    Aberrant Sorcerer - Mind Sliver, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Firebolt, Mending, Gift of Alacrity, Dissonant Whispers, Shield, Chaos Bolt
    Arcane Cleric - Guidance, Thamaturgy, Spare the dying, blade ward, dancing lights, Cure Wounds, Sanctuary, Healing Word -
    Wizard - Shape Water, mold earth, gust, Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend languages, Feather Fall, Find Familiar, Witch Bolt
    This was fun to write - I experimented a little with Barnaby bouncing back and forth from past to present to show his inability to pay attention.
    Some fun facts - the teacher names presented are anagrams of Harry Potter teachers.
    And the guy that Barnaby meets "elsewhere" (for the Sorcerer Aberrant portion is an anagram of the villain of Harry Potter).
    I am not even a big Harry Potter fan (read the books after the wife asked me to, and saw the movies) - but since I was primarily writing Barnaby as a Wizard type student - I thought it'd be a fun "Easter Egg" to make anagrams of the teacher names from Harry Potter.
    Anyway - I hope you enjoy what I've done!
    I'd love to hear feedback in the thread - because it helps me... it keeps the thread alive and bumped too!
    ========================

As the morning sun peaked over the landscape, the birds gathered on the branches of the tree just outside the window and began to sing to one another beautifully, which caught the attention of young Barnaby Oswald Boyd. With wide eyed wonder, Barnaby wondered if the birds were actually communicating with one another. Could they understand one another? His mind wandered deeper and deeper until suddenly the sound of a book slammed on his desk jerked him back to the present.

“Am I boring you, mister Barnaby?” the voice of an old, but very stern and very intimidating Sabul Potsur had been what reeled him in after the startling sound of the book against his desk.

Barnaby cleared his throat, “No, Master Potsur. Not at all. It’s just the birds outside they –“ But before Barnaby could finish his sentence, Master Potsur turned towards the window, and with a gesture of his hand the curtains slammed shut – not only cutting off the view of the birds, but the sunlight as well – leaving the room to sink into darkness, illuminated barely by the candles hanging off of the sconces.

“There should be no more business about the birds,” Master Potsur growled. “Now, as I was saying, on page seventy, it clearly shows the gestures for Dancing Lights. Now, because Mr. Barnaby would rather listen to the chatter of birds than learn magic – which one of you would like to attempt to create some light using this cantrip?”

Without waiting to be called on, Barnaby stood – made the gesture with his hands, moving his fingers ever so slightly, while squeezing a bit of phosphorus in his other hand – and four lights suddenly sprung to life, bouncing gently in the air, as if someone were holding a lantern.

Master Potsur turned, the slits of his pupils narrowed like a cat about to spring when he saw Barnaby standing. “Mr. Barnaby,” Master Potsur’s voice seemed about ready to break into a shout, “I know you come well regarded from the University of the Arcane – but here,” his hand gestured around him, “in the Temple of Mystra, I expect you show me respect – and wait for me to call on you. I want to observe your gestures, because the slightest error can turn dancing lights into a fireball centered in this room, which would have incinerated us all.”

Barnaby knew what was coming next – this had been the third time this week – and it was only the second day of the class week. “Please wait for me outside, so we can discuss the matter further,” Master Potsur growled and spun on his heel, not even waiting to see if Barnaby picked up his belongings, he simply continued, “Now, would anyone else like to try the Dancing Lights cantrip and raise their hand,” now his eyes dashed towards Barnaby, “before casting?”

Barnaby waited on the all too familiar bench until the class ended and Master Potsur came out. The elder human, whose eyes were a sharp, piercing blue – like cold steel – stared at him before sitting down next to him.

“They weren’t wrong about you,” Master Potsur said softly. That was different… than the typical scolding he received. “Master Panse of the University of the Arcane said you were different… gifted… You’re picking up these spells much faster than the other students. Mystra must guide your hands.”

Barnaby was about to say something but thought better of it. He simply nodded, “Yes, Mystra must guide my hands.”

However, Barnaby’s mind sank back to three years ago – in the Great Library of the University of the Arcane, Barnaby had found an old tome shoved between two history books. The old tome definitely seemed out of place. The leather binding on it was like none he’d ever seen before. Even as he’d reached for it, he could almost hear voices calling to him.

If there was something Barnaby loved, it was a good mystery – and this unusual tome seemed to be something of a mystery. Upon touching the tome, however – everything changed. Barnaby felt as if his very soul had been viciously ripped through his chest and suddenly shoved through a purple portal where he felt as if he’d been falling for all eternity – before coming to a rather sudden stop, landing on what appeared to be a giant field of light blue flowers, under a purple sky.

Barnaby had pulled himself up and was surprised to see his body was semitransparent. The voice of a stranger whose voice sounded like three voices speaking at once, at slightly different pitches, suddenly made him aware he wasn’t alone. “Do not worry – you’re not dead, nor cursed. However, I am. I was banished here by those who were afraid of my powers. My name is Telv Romod,” the hooded figure introduced himself. It was odd, Barnaby noted how no matter how Telv turned his head, the shadows of his hood always cast darkness from his forehead to his upper lip, as if the light itself could not penetrate to reveal how he looked.

“Why… why did they imprison you here,” Barnaby asked, admiring the green clouds slowly making their way across the purple haze of the heavens. “Where is here anyway? And is it normal that the clouds are green? Where I come from they’re definitely not green. Well. Nor is the sky purple. That’s pretty weird too.”

Telv heaved a sigh that was all too familiar to Barnaby. He’d heard it many times from Master Panse and Master Potsur. He’d allowed himself to get distracted. He snapped back to his present situation. “Sorry. I’ve just never seen anything like this.”

“To answer your first question, I was imprisoned here by my Masters who feared my powers. My arcane ability grew beyond there. My mind became so focused; I found I could read the minds of others. So they imprisoned my essence in this realm – and somewhere out there, in the real world, my body lies frozen – neither alive, nor dead – never aging – eternally trapped. You touched the Book of Flesh.”

“Book of Flesh,” Barnaby questioned, and realized a moment later – that’s why the leather felt different. It was made of humanoid flesh. He suddenly realized what he had come to understand and retched at the thought. “Is it really made of flesh?”

“Yes,” Telv replied. “Each time they banish an essence here; a portion of their flesh is cut from their skin and bound to the book to keep us imprisoned.”

“So there are others here? In this realm?” Barnaby asked.

“Were,” Telv replied with an odd, shadowy smirk.

“What do you mean ‘were’,” Barnaby asked for clarification, but he feared he knew the answer.

“I found them, tracked them down, absorbed their essence into myself, to see if that would give me the power I needed to escape,” Telv replied matter-of-factly.

“And did it?” Barnaby asked, and then quickly realized how silly the question was. “Wait, are you going to absorb me?”

“No,” Telv replied. “You were banished here. But the fact that when you touched the Book of Flesh you were transported tells me you are powerful. Join with me,” Telv reached out his hand, “allow me to ride the conscious of your mind and I will show you power like you’ve never known.”

Barnaby always loved a good mystery; but he’d sell his soul to be better at magic. “Sure,” he shrugged not truly considering the consequences and embraced Telv’s hand and found his essence shunted back out into the Great Library where it landed in his body, which had collapsed to the ground.

“Are you even listening to me?” It’d been Master Potsur’s voice who snapped him back to the present, yet again.

“What?” Barnaby asked shaking his head.

Master Potsur sighed deeply, yet again.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

2. - Top - End - #872
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi, Tawmis. I hope the days are treating you well. I have a request for a character I will be playing eventually but I can't come up with a good backstory. I'd love your help. I have some of his information here for you if any of it helps, but you don't have to use all of it, especially if it just doesn't come into play in whatever you might come up with. There is no rush either since I won't be starting for a while so feel free to take however much time you might want. I don't have much of a solid personality developed yet, so feel free to take it in any direction you wish if you want to.

EDIT: Hopefully it isn't too late to add on, but unless it conflicts with the idea you had I think I would like him to have a cautious, yet courageous personality, someone who prefers to avoid notice or offense most of the time and feels better having a plan going into situations and to get himself out of them, but when it comes down to it will do what he needs to see the right thing done.

Name - Ashworth Tealeaf (Ash, for short)
    Race - Halfling
    Class - Monk (Way of Shadow)
    Gender - Male
    Background - Urchin or Sailor? (This just isn't set in stone and can change since we use custom backgrounds for the freedom to pick skills and profeciencies.)
    Alignment - Any good. Maybe LG since the PHB says that's what most Halflings are, but I'm equally happy with any of the good-hearted alignments.
    Extra details - Will have Thieves Tools, Navigator's Tools and Brewer's Supplies profeciencies. DM is allowing the latter to be used for alcohol AND tea should I wish. His preferred weapon is a spear. The idea I had for it is he either came from a fishing family or had experience with fishing where he would've used one, and the patience, discipline and technique required to be good at it also helped him naturally with Monk training.

Thank you!
    Last edited by EphTheorem; 2021-05-30 at 01:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

Hi! I've FINALLY finished a homebrew archetype for a quickdraw-focused fighter in a samurai game (set in the same world as the other character's you've done for me btw!) who has to go on the run when someone starts killing samurai while in disguise as him.

He's a level 8 character whose fighting style is about storing his attacks, then releasing them as one big attack on his bonus action. But I haven't got any more story ideas in mind for him! Thanks if you're up for this!
    Official girltoy of O-Chul's harem. Join the harem here! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-harem-sign-up!

Haley and Therkla + Elan = Perfect

4. - Top - End - #874

Hello all -

Sorry about the absence. The hits have kept coming.

Just last week, the wife and I made the call, to send Odin, my Husky who has blessed us for 17 years, to Forever Sleep.
    I'm still not healed. Wind feels like it's been yanked from my sails. Creativity feels empty at the moment (undoubtedly due to the heartache).

But I will get these added and knocked out as soon as I can.

For those interested...

Odin Celebration of Life video (16 Min) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL4F...awmisGreybeard
    Odin Celebration of Life video (1 hour) - same video as above. The above one is this one - just time lapsed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgKi...awmisGreybeard

Quote Originally Posted by EphTheorem View Post
    Hi, Tawmis. I hope the days are treating you well. I have a request for a character I will be playing eventually but I can't come up with a good backstory. I'd love your help. I have some of his information here for you if any of it helps, but you don't have to use all of it, especially if it just doesn't come into play in whatever you might come up with. There is no rush either since I won't be starting for a while so feel free to take however much time you might want. I don't have much of a solid personality developed yet, so feel free to take it in any direction you wish if you want to.

Race - Halfling
    Gender - Male
    Background - Urchin? (This just isn't set in stone and can change since we use custom backgrounds for the freedom to pick skills and profeciencies.)
    Alignment - Any good. Maybe LG since the PHB says that's what most Halflings are, but I'm equally happy with any of the good-hearted alignments.
    Extra details - Will have Thieves Tools and Brewer's Supplies profeciencies. DM is allowing the latter to be used for alcohol AND tea should I wish. His preferred weapon is a spear. The idea I had for it is he either came from a fishing family or had experience with fishing where he would've used one, and the patience, discipline and technique required to be good at it also helped him naturally with Monk training.

Thank you!
    Consider this added.

Quote Originally Posted by Barebarian View Post
    Hi! I've FINALLY finished a homebrew archetype for a quickdraw-focused fighter in a samurai game (set in the same world as the other character's you've done for me btw!) who has to go on the run when someone starts killing samurai while in disguise as him.

He's a level 8 character whose fighting style is about storing his attacks, then releasing them as one big attack on his bonus action. But I haven't got any more story ideas in mind for him! Thanks if you're up for this!
    Can you give me more information? What type of attacks? Do you have it linked somewhere (like D&D Beyond?) as to how it works, so I can get an idea.
    Also - gender, race and name. (The name I can make up if you don't have one in mind) - but the gender and race would be beneficial.
    Also any personality traits, flaws, etc - to let me know what you have in mind roughly for the character's personality.

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    Wow, I gotta get in on this. I have to upload some material that I don't have to hand right now. So why am I posting right now? Because I'm excited.
    I have a character backstory, and would love to have you extend it further back. (I've never had a chance to play this character, but hope to.) I have his backstory starting when he is middle to high level (he'd start in a high level game) and would love to have you write about when he was young and/or when he was low level. So I actually know a lot about him that your work would have to tie into. You say you like a challenge; I hope you like the sound of this one. (I just found this thread after several years of being mostly absent from the forum, so I obviously haven't read the hundreds of posts prior to mine.)
    OK, in a nutshell, he is a human paladin who's been declared a sinner and heretic by his church but not by his god, so still has his powers. And the powerful church leaders are not happy about that. His "sin" is being gay. The church did not know this until he was already middling high level, in my part of the story.
    Got to admit - never heard of Tantus before - so I googled to see if it was some existing character in Forgotten Realms (to make sure I stayed true to the character) - and was... shocked as to what Tantus was a reference to. But with the context of the story - it definitely fits! (You're a lot like me, in that regard, in placing references in the stories...)

So that extent...
    I used your existing characters to flesh it out (Danson was mentioned as Gerald's friend, so I built on that - and also built on Isabel who you introduced - and how she ties into everything - using her as a instrument to show the character's sexual preference).
    The tavern name I use is a clear reference to the LGBT community, though to make it not obvious - I provide a different reason for the tavern's name. But named it as such for you. You will see when you get there.
    The bard I introduce can be the same bard seen in your story - because I definitely build on that.
    The bard's name is someone quite famous (should be obvious) who is also gay.
    I mention your character having a brother, who had passed - named Criss. This is a reference to my favorite guitarist, Criss Oliva (of Savatage), who was killed by a drunk driver. (You will see how I make a reference to how he passed...)
    I really enjoyed writing this - never focused on the struggles or exploration of a character's sexual orientation - especially of the gay, bi orientation. So I feel quite blessed to be trusted to write such a story.
    I hope I did good by you.
    Would love your feedback in this thread - good or bad - it helps keep the thread bumped and alive.
    That said - enjoy!
    ===============================

Danson looked over at his friend Gerald. “You know she likes you, right?”

Gerald turned to his friend. “Who?” he asked with furrowed brows.

“Who?” Danson laughed. “Are you really asking me who? Her,” Danson pointed to Isabel who was skipping down the hill. She’d been with the two of them all day and was now returning home.

“Isabel?” Gerald laughed. “First of all, no she doesn’t. Second of all, she’s… like a sister to me.”

“First of all,” Danson sighed, “you’re blind if you don’t see her fawning over you, her hands under her chin, wistfully sighing as she watches you practice with your blade.”

“You’ve always had a wonderful imagination Danson,” Gerald shook his head as he sheathed his sword.

“And you, Gerald, have always been blind to every woman who has thrown themselves at you,” Danson laughed as the two wrestled and tumbled down the hill.

At a mere age of thirteen, both Gerald Singer and John Danson aspired to follow the Faith, which they’d spent their entire life being prepared for. As they too slowly made their way to their homes, Danson turned towards Gerald. “I’m curious – your family – like me, has always been about the Church. But you always brandish that,” Danson’s eyes went to the sword that Gerald wore. “Bishops and the like don’t typically go around brandishing such weapons.”

“I want to be a part of the Faith,” Gerald nodded, “but there are the Defenders of the Faith, who wear red, white and don armor and swords. I feel as if my destiny lies there, rather than becoming a Bishop to the Church.”

“You don’t think that … such violence will lead your soul astray?” Danson asked genuinely concerned for his friend.

“In the writings of Lord Tantus, it says – ‘Live life, so that fear never enters your heart. The Faith shall be the True Spoken Word; defend it always. Pray that the Faith can be defended by word alone; but know, that there are those that would oppress the Faith, and sword and shield must be drawn.”

Several weeks later, Danson and Gerald were walking through the town when the sound of music gently drifted over the shouts of street merchants.

“Sounds like Elton is at Rainbow’s Edge,” Danson noted, hearing the pleasant sounds of the piano that Elton was so well known for playing.

“His very talented,” Gerald added. “His music can even make the marketplace smell pleasant,” he laughed.

“Should we swing by?” Danson shrugged.

Gerald halted in his tracks. “Is this about trying to get Isabel and I together? You know her parents run the Rainbow’s Edge – and that she works there to help out.”

Danson feigned shock, placing his hands on his chest. “Would I do such a thing?”

Gerald looked at his friend – and the two of them shared a good laugh as they made their way towards the Rainbow’s Edge. The tavern had been given its name because at one time, Isabel’s father, Erik, was said to have brewed the most golden beer, that even leprechauns were envious. As Danson and Gerald entered the busy tavern, Isabel spotted them and waved. She quickly fixed her disheveled hair and tried to iron out the wrinkles in her apron as she brought the two of them water. She stood there for a moment, admiring Gerald – then noticed how Gerald seemed to be locked on Elton.

“He’s incredible, isn’t he,” she said, trying to get Gerald’s attention.

Gerald felt a quick elbow to his ribs from Danson then shook his head and looked at Isabel. “Thank you for the water,” he hastily said.

“She said isn’t Elton incredible,” Danson coughed.

“Elton?” Gerald’s cheeks flushed for a moment. “Yes. He’s… quite incredible.” He realized after a long moment that he’d not said much else, and cleared his throat and added, “Apologies. The… way he plays the piano… the way he makes it sound… it sounds like it’s crying… it touches my soul. He reminds me of my own brother who passed, Criss, who was very talented on the guitar. He could strum the strings and just make it sound like the guitar was weeping.”

Criss was Gerald’s elder brother by six years – and one night, while playing at a tavern, a drunken human drew his sword and ran Criss through for reasons that still remain unclear.

Isabel wrapped her arms around Gerald. “I am sorry. I wish I got to know him better.”

After Elton’s set – Gerald approached him. “I’ve heard you play, off and on, for several weeks now,” the unusually tall warrior’s cheeks flushed red. He felt like a child. “And… I never took the time to … let you know… how much I appreciate your … talent. You’re quite amazing.”

Gerald extended his hand and shook Elton’s – and the handshake lasted longer than normal – and as their hands parted – their fingertips seemed to cling to one another’s hands. Their eyes met and each of them clearly felt something. Gerald seemed ready to tell Elton something when he was startled by Danson’s arm around his neck, “Come along! We need to walk Isabel home – make sure she gets home safe. And maybe tonight on the way home you can ask her out?”

Elton quickly pulled his hand away – wondering if he’d misread what he saw in Gerald’s eyes. But when he looked at Gerald he could see the frustration. He’d read him right – but his friend apparently didn’t know the truth.

“It was a pleasure meeting you,” Elton said, with a slight bow. “Perhaps we will meet again. I come through this town quite frequently. I don’t live far from here.”

“I would like that,” Gerald nodded.

“Come on, loverboy,” Danson laughed as he playfully messed up Gerald’s hair. Gerald’s eyes lingered on Elton for a moment longer before he was tore away by Danson.

That night, walking Isabel home, Gerald managed to successfully avoid asking her out, despite his best friend’s attempts to set them up. In the years that followed, Danson and Gerald grew apart as Gerald entered the Defenders of the Faith, and Danson pursued his lifelong dream of following in his father’s footsteps in hopes of becoming a Bishop one day.

Their lives would, however, soon come crashing into one another…
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2021-04-22 at 03:30 AM.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

5. - Top - End - #875

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I used your existing characters to flesh it out (Danson was mentioned as Gerald's friend, so I built on that - and also built on Isabel who you introduced - and how she ties into everything - using her as a instrument to show the character's sexual preference).
    The tavern name I use is a clear reference to the LGBT community, though to make it not obvious - I provide a different reason for the tavern's name. But named it as such for you. You will see when you get there.
    The bard I introduce can be the same bard seen in your story - because I definitely build on that.
    The bard's name is someone quite famous (should be obvious) who is also gay.
    I mention your character having a brother, who had passed - named Criss. This is a reference to my favorite guitarist, Criss Oliva (of Savatage), who was killed by a drunk driver. (You will see how I make a reference to how he passed...)
    I really enjoyed writing this - never focused on the struggles or exploration of a character's sexual orientation - especially of the gay, bi orientation. So I feel quite blessed to be trusted to write such a story.
    I hope I did good by you.
    Would love your feedback in this thread - good or bad - it helps keep the thread bumped and alive.
    That said - enjoy!
    Forgive me if I'm sending this reply twice. I thought I'd sent it but now it looks like I didn't.

Thank you, I like it.

It makes sense that his sexual orientation would be the focus of this back-back story, even though, in the context of the material I wrote, it wasn't meant to be. I simply needed something that the church establishment would condemn and the god wouldn't, and homosexuality was the solution to that puzzle.

As for Tantus, I needed a name for a god that was not established elsewhere so that the story would be independent of any setting. So I put some syllables together. I'm as surprised as you by the Google results, as I had not bothered to look until you brought it up. (I'd happily change the name to something that fits a DM's setting if I ever get to play the character.)

There's one place that it seems my mind was working similarly to how yours does, and that's Gerald's name. Gerald Singer comes from an acquaintance who is named Gerald, who is gay, and who is a trained and somewhat accomplished opera singer.

Anyway, thank you again.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

6. - Top - End - #876

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    Thank you, I like it.
    It makes sense that his sexual orientation would be the focus of this back-back story, even though, in the context of the material I wrote, it wasn't meant to be. I simply needed something that the church establishment would condemn and the god wouldn't, and homosexuality was the solution to that puzzle.
    As for Tantus, I needed a name for a god that was not established elsewhere so that the story would be independent of any setting. So I put some syllables together. I'm as surprised as you by the Google results, as I had not bothered to look until you brought it up. (I'd happily change the name to something that fits a DM's setting if I ever get to play the character.)
    There's one place that it seems my mind was working similarly to how yours does, and that's Gerald's name. Gerald Singer comes from an acquaintance who is named Gerald, who is gay, and who is a trained and somewhat accomplished opera singer.
    Anyway, thank you again.
    Yeah - since your own backstory opens with that - I figured alluding to his sexual orientation in his youth would be a good focal point.
    I don't clearly state it - until the end when he meets Elton. But I allude to it before (like when Danson mentions, "You seem to miss when every woman throws herself at you" - is pretty much Gerald ignoring their advances, similar to what he'd done with Isabel).

And yeah - when I googled just "Tantus" - the first result was "God of Pleasure" - but then I saw what it was. And I was like, "Ah, I see why he picked that name." It's funny that it wasn't your intention at all. :)

Hello!
    I'm new to this forum but I have been reading your character backstories and loved them!
    I will run a new character in an upcoming campaign in Faerun and maybe you could help me with some bits of backstory to complement my character personality.
    Name: Oleg Blackbones
    Race: Mountain Dwarf
    Class: Twilight Cleric
    Background: Clan Crafter

I don't have the characteristics set in stone yet.
    The most thinking I've done so far involves the base picture for the character (https://imgur.com/jxmwnFm)
    I'm initially thinking about a stereotypical "russian hard skinned guy" that deep down has a good and warming heart.
    I don't know a lot about the continent (he is probably from the north somewhere around Neverwinter, I guess?) or the deities he could be serving as a twilight cleric for example.
    EDIT: I've decided on a few more details, if that's alright
    He is proficient in Smith's and Tinker's tools and plays a Balalaika (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvWWVub9cc4)
    I enjoyed writing this - a stern dwarf, who believed in a higher calling - that was traveling with two humans.
    His relationship with them - starts much like the very road - very rocky.
    But you can tell, I hope, from the start - there's already a budding relationship growing.
    I selected Helm, as the deity - since he is one of the gods with the Twilight domain, and more fitting than the other god (who is the god of suffering).
    You mentioned not being too familiar - so here's info about Helm: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Helm
    You also mentioned not being too familiar with Forgotten Realms - so I had your character leaving Mirabar (far to the north) heading to Neverwinter.
    A WONDERFUL map of the Forgotten Realms is here (it takes a bit to load, because it's huge - but it's amazing) - https://www.aidedd.org/atlas/index.php?map=R&l=1
    Hopefully you enjoy - would love to hear any thoughts of feedback you have!
    It helps keep the thread bumped and alive.
    Enjoy!
    =========================================

Oleg sat on the back of the wagon and muttered aloud (so that those in the front could hear him), “By Helm’s eyes! Could this road be any bumpier?”

Jarek Silverstorm, a human and one of the coachmen, craned his neck. “I apologize. Our wagon is heavily burdened by the weapons in the crates. Makes the roads feel a little rougher than they actually are.”

“Clearly these roads never had dwarven hands to make them smooth,” Oleg Blackbones muttered.

“No,” Jarek laughed as he turned to face the front again. “Your kind rarely come out of your mountains.”

Jarek and his companion, another human named Ellis Starlight, were merchants who had traveled back and forth from Mirabar – which sat atop of a dwarven kingdom – down to Neverwinter for the purpose of trades. It was during their time in Mirabar that Oleg had met the duo and began speaking to them about their trade route.

Something pulled at Oleg’s essence, the same way he plucked at the strings of his balalaika. He secured passage with them for a small price – promising to provide healing should the trio encounter trouble – and according to Jarek and Ellis – trouble was frequently found in the form of brigands of various species just waiting for unprepared traders making their way down the road.

On the first night, when the wagon was pulled off to the right of the road at a small clearing, Oleg pulled out his balalaika and began strumming. Ellis looked at Jarek who then looked at Oleg. “Did you just pull a fast one on us? Are you not really a Cleric? Are you a bard?”

“A bard?” Oleg’s beard bristled in offense. “Do I look like a bard to you two?” He stood up, moved his arms away from his chest so that they were vertical to the ground. “How many blasted bards do you know that wear heavy armor like this? And have the symbol of Helm on their chestpiece? A bard, indeed!” Oleg huffed as he sat down and continued playing his balalaika.

“OK, fine,” Jarek laughed. “So, why is your guitar missing three strings?”

“Are the two of ye so uncivilized? Have you never seen a balalaika before?” Oleg growled.

“I’ve seen one – well, not seen it – I averted my eyes so I wouldn’t be turned to stone,” Ellis said.

Jarek shook his head, “No, Ellis – that’s a basilisk not a… what did you call it again, Oleg?”

“A balalaika,” Oleg sighed.

“That sounds pretty close to basilisk if you ask me,” Ellis shrugged his shoulders.

Oleg heaved a deep sigh. “Why do I feel like I am going to regret this very long travel to Neverwinter?”

Jarek unrolled his bedroll as he laughed. “Forgive us, Oleg – we are but simple men. Tell us, what brings you out of your mountain home and headed for Neverwinter?”

Oleg grumbled, “I don’t expect a few ‘simple men’ such as yourselves to understand a higher calling.”

“Only if there’s gold involved,” Ellis smirked.

“Tell me,” Oleg said, matter-of-factly, “when the end comes – what will you do with that gold? How will it benefit your immortal souls?”

“It’ll pay for our funerals,” Ellis laughed.

“Ah, there’s no talkin’ sense into either of ye, I see,” Oleg muttered. “I’d be just as well talking to that tree over there.”

Just as Oleg pointed – his eyes focused. Though Dwarves were gifted with Darkvision – as a Cleric of Twilight, Oleg’s vision was drastically increased from 60’ to 300’ – and he saw several figures slowly approaching. He quickly drew his weapon and whispered, “You two might as well get some of those weapons ready – we have a fight on our hands.”

Jarek and Ellis looked in the direction Oleg had been peering. “I don’t see anything.”

“Of course you don’t,” Oleg grumbled. “Your bloody human vision can barely see past the length of your arm in the dark.” Oleg placed his hands on Jarek and Ellis and shared his Eyes of Night blessing with them – and suddenly they saw three gnolls approaching.

“Gnolls,” Ellis muttered. “Probably Bloodmane’s litter again.”

“That damn hyena can’t keep her legs closed,” Jarek muttered as he drew his long sword and took position on the other side of the wagon.

As the gnolls entered the clearing looking around for the humanoids and the music that they’d initially heard – an arrow flew through the dark and struck one of the gnolls who yelped. Suddenly, Oleg appeared from the brush and cast a spell that ignited the gnoll’s flesh – glowing purple, though causing no harm – just making them very visible in the dark. The gnolls pressed their attack – but this is where Oleg saw that as uncivilized as Jarek and Ellis were – they were accomplished warriors – using their team work of arrows and swords to confuse and cut down the would-be marauders in less than a minute.

As the third gnoll fell dead, Oleg turned and looked at the two humans. “That was some impressive work.”

“We’re all good at something,” Jarek said as he wiped off the blood from his blade.

“We just happen to be good at weapons and killing,” Ellis smiled. The two then positioned the dead gnolls in sitting positions against the trees as if they were still alive and to discourage any other marauders from approaching.

For the rest of the trip, Oleg developed a strong friendship with the two humans, and admittedly – though he wouldn’t tell them – felt a tinge of pain in his heart, knowing he would miss the two humans and hoped that perhaps their paths may yet cross again.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2021-04-24 at 04:21 AM.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I enjoyed writing this - a stern dwarf, who believed in a higher calling - that was traveling with two humans.
    His relationship with them - starts much like the very road - very rocky.
    But you can tell, I hope, from the start - there's already a budding relationship growing.
    I selected Helm, as the deity - since he is one of the gods with the Twilight domain, and more fitting than the other god (who is the god of suffering).
    You mentioned not being too familiar - so here's info about Helm: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Helm
    You also mentioned not being too familiar with Forgotten Realms - so I had your character leaving Mirabar (far to the north) heading to Neverwinter.
    A WONDERFUL map of the Forgotten Realms is here (it takes a bit to load, because it's huge - but it's amazing) - https://www.aidedd.org/atlas/index.php?map=R&l=1
    Hopefully you enjoy - would love to hear any thoughts of feedback you have!
    It helps keep the thread bumped and alive.
    Enjoy!
    It's just... Beautiful :)

As all of the other backstories, I enjoyed reading every paragraph. Thank you so much for the write up snd the tips and links about Helm and Mirabar

8. - Top - End - #878
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hey Tawmis. I'm sure you have a lot on your backlog already, but here goes another character that needs a backstory written, for my girlfriend's new character.

Name is Zara, ans she is a Half Drow Shadow Monk. She knows how to fight while blinded (thanks to a dip in Fighter). Initially she would be some sort of furtive spy type or a bounty hunter traveler.
    Our DM seems to have different plans and is incentivizing her to play as a member of the Emerald Enclave, so that is a bonus challenge for you (only if it fits somehow, I don't think it's required)

Mechanically she intends to run up close to enemies while obscured in darkness and punch them until they die, that's like her signature move (see Akuma special move and think something like that)

Not sure if this is too vague, let me know if you need details about any other aspects.
    Last edited by javianhalt; 2021-05-04 at 11:07 AM.

9. - Top - End - #879

Hey Tawmis. I'm sure you have a lot on your backlog already, but here goes another character that needs a backstory written, for my girlfriend's new character.
    Name is Zara, ans she is a Half Drow Shadow Monk. She knows how to fight while blinded (thanks to a dip in Fighter). Initially she would be some sort of furtive spy type or a bounty hunter traveler.
    Our DM seems to have different plans and is incentivizing her to play as a member of the Emerald Enclave, so that is a bonus challenge for you (only if it fits somehow, I don't think it's required)
    Mechanically she intends to run up close to enemies while obscured in darkness and punch them until they die, that's like her signature move (see Akuma special move and think something like that)
    Not sure if this is too vague, let me know if you need details about any other aspects.
    Consider it added.

Life being life - I've been yanked away. You have one before this (for EphTheorem that I need to do) - but would be happy to do this after that if still needed.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Consider it added.

Life being life - I've been yanked away. You have one before this (for EphTheorem that I need to do) - but would be happy to do this after that if still needed.
    No worries dude.
    We already started the campaing but your stories are so amazing that i wouln't mind reading what you would create for this, if you have the time to spare some day or another ;)

11. - Top - End - #881
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Consider it added to my list!

This was fun to write - I experimented a little with Barnaby bouncing back and forth from past to present to show his inability to pay attention.
    Some fun facts - the teacher names presented are anagrams of Harry Potter teachers.
    And the guy that Barnaby meets "elsewhere" (for the Sorcerer Aberrant portion is an anagram of the villain of Harry Potter).
    I am not even a big Harry Potter fan (read the books after the wife asked me to, and saw the movies) - but since I was primarily writing Barnaby as a Wizard type student - I thought it'd be a fun "Easter Egg" to make anagrams of the teacher names from Harry Potter.
    Anyway - I hope you enjoy what I've done!
    I'd love to hear feedback in the thread - because it helps me... it keeps the thread alive and bumped too!
    This was a great backstory thank you! Its given me some inspiration. We have a one shot coming up and our DM has us making a few characters. I'm using this mini backstory to shove into our one shot and Barnaby will be a:

Illusionist Wizard 2/Abberant Sorcerer 1/Arcane Cleric 1/Divine Warlock 4/Land Druid 2/Artificer 1/Lore Bard 3

I found an item called the Mizzium Apparatus that I think the DM will be letting me use on the one shot. It lets you burn a spell slot to cast ANY spell on your classes spell list. Barnaby has come into his own at this point :)

12. - Top - End - #882
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I've actually never played a Divination Wizard, so this was new to me - to see how to make it fit.
    It was a dangerous balance of making your character sound like a Sorcerer rather than a Cleric turned Divination Wizard with how I described him.
    You didn't provide a name - so I just created one (Talaron Skytree) that you can change to fit your character.
    I added some lore of (Speaker of the Moon, Crescent of the Moon) these can be changed to whatever you want them to be... I was just thinking something High-Elf sounding... reminds me very much of Dragonlance (I think in Dragonlance it's Speaker of the Stars? I need to re-read the books!)
    Hopefully you enjoy it!
    (And I leave it up to you and the DM, in regards to his trainer Phey, as to what he is... is he a High-Elf... or is he more?)
    Feedback, as always, is appreciated! Keeps the thread alive and bumped!
    Enjoy!
    ============================

As an heir to the Speaker of the Moon, Talaron Skytree was expected to be blessed by the gods. Descendants of the Speaker were always the “Chosen Voices” of the gods to bring the message of the deities to mortal ears.

At the age of six, Talaron Skytree began having unusual dreams of an elegant and beautiful woman visiting him, assuring him that he was destined for greatness. Perhaps it had been the constant frequency for which she would go on to visit his dreams, or perhaps it was the fact he did not enjoy the idea that his own destiny was in his hand, or it could have been the fact that he was a High Elf, and like many of his people, he was simply too arrogant to be someone’s servant – and to that of a deity.

Being a descendant of the Speaker of the Moon blessed his bloodline with magic, which Talaron was already displaying by the age of eight. He was capable of healing wounds as well as causing lights and torches to flicker and dance.

During the Ceremony that would have officially made Talaron one of the Crescent of the Moon – meaning he would be one of the few to be eligible of becoming the next Speaker of the Moon when the time came – however, Talaron renounced his position to the utter shock and gasp of the others.

Talaron would focus on taking short rests so that the goddess who frequented his dreams had minimal opportunities to speak to him.

His father was furious – but Talaron demanded that he find his own destiny. He entered the Academy of the Magi, and with his touch of magic began to learn how to shape his magic as Wizard might, rather than be restricted to the words and demands of the gods, such as Clerics.

Talaron’s instructor, a High Elf with flaming red hair and green eyes (like the woman who haunted his dreams) looked at him and smiled, “Many seek the counsel of a diviner, for all seek a clearer understanding of the past, present, and future. As a diviner, you will strive to part the veils of space, time, and consciousness so that you can see clearly. You work to master spells of discernment, remote viewing, supernatural knowledge, and foresight. And,” his instructor smiled, “perhaps find the path of one’s destiny – and perhaps, along the way – find your own.”

Talaron’s instructor, Phey, continued to allude to destiny during each training session, to where Talaron began to question if Phey was all that he appeared to be or something more.
    I hope you don't mind but I stole a few details from this one for a background I'm writing for a NPC in one of my campaigns :)
    Last edited by javianhalt; 2021-05-25 at 05:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Pixie in the Playground

EDIT: Hopefully it isn't too late to add on, but unless it conflicts with the idea you had I think I would like him to have a cautious, yet courageous personality, someone who prefers to avoid notice or offense most of the time and feels better having a plan going into situations and to get himself out of them, but when it comes down to it will do what he needs to see the right thing done.

Race - Halfling
    Gender - Male
    Background - Urchin? (This just isn't set in stone and can change since we use custom backgrounds for the freedom to pick skills and profeciencies.)
    Extra details - Will have Thieves Tools and Brewer's Supplies profeciencies. DM is allowing the latter to be used for alcohol AND tea should I wish. His preferred weapon is a spear. The idea I had for it is he either came from a fishing family or had experience with fishing where he would've used one, and the patience, discipline and technique required to be good at it also helped him naturally with Monk training.

Thank you!
    Hey there, it's me again. I've been hit with some inspiration and I wanted to share it with you. I hope it isn't too late for me to add this, and if you have already been working on something I'll still be happy with it, you don't need to change anything. I can tweak things around myself if needed, I don't want to create more work for you. Anyway, I imagined a Way of Shadow Monk initially because I wanted this character to be sneaky and the archetype reflected his tendency to want to generally avoid notice very well. However I got to thinking about the spear and the fishing thing, and how thematically I think it would be very neat to instead lean into that and be a Way of the Four Elements Monk to show that connection to water, focusing on water and ice themed abilities. I'm not changing any of my proficiencies, but I thought I'd let you know this is the direction I think I am going to take Ash now. And if it works out better for you to just keep the original idea for him in your writing, I'm still happy with that. Thanks again.

14. - Top - End - #884

I hope you don't mind but I stole a few details from this one for a background I'm writing for a NPC in one of my campaigns :)
    I don't mind at all. It was originally written for a character for Svantis. But if others gleam things from what I do in this thread, by all means! Go for it! I just ask you put a bard in your game named Tawmis, who tells fantastic stories! :D (I am kidding about that part!) :D

No worries dude.
    We already started the campaing but your stories are so amazing that i wouln't mind reading what you would create for this, if you have the time to spare some day or another ;)
    I'd definitely still love to write it. Life has been utterly chaotic (I shared somewhere, now probably a few pages ago) how my wife had a seizure last June, so she's been out of work, bills are piling up, then this past April, my dog of 17 years passed away. I am still struggling with that. Life's giving me a good beating to the side of the head, making finding the time (or peace of mind!) to sit down and write. But I definitely want to still write it, whether or not it gets used! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdguy88 View Post
    This was a great backstory thank you! Its given me some inspiration. We have a one shot coming up and our DM has us making a few characters. I'm using this mini backstory to shove into our one shot and Barnaby will be a:
    Illusionist Wizard 2/Abberant Sorcerer 1/Arcane Cleric 1/Divine Warlock 4/Land Druid 2/Artificer 1/Lore Bard 3
    I found an item called the Mizzium Apparatus that I think the DM will be letting me use on the one shot. It lets you burn a spell slot to cast ANY spell on your classes spell list. Barnaby has come into his own at this point :)
    Barnaby sounds like someone (with that much multiclassing!) who was very indecisive in life! :)

Hey there, it's me again. I've been hit with some inspiration and I wanted to share it with you. I hope it isn't too late for me to add this, and if you have already been working on something I'll still be happy with it, you don't need to change anything. I can tweak things around myself if needed, I don't want to create more work for you. Anyway, I imagined a Way of Shadow Monk initially because I wanted this character to be sneaky and the archetype reflected his tendency to want to generally avoid notice very well. However I got to thinking about the spear and the fishing thing, and how thematically I think it would be very neat to instead lean into that and be a Way of the Four Elements Monk to show that connection to water, focusing on water and ice themed abilities. I'm not changing any of my proficiencies, but I thought I'd let you know this is the direction I think I am going to take Ash now. And if it works out better for you to just keep the original idea for him in your writing, I'm still happy with that. Thanks again.
    I've not gotten to writing it yet (see above) - but will update my word document that I keep these requests in! :)

15. - Top - End - #885
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Hi there! I hope it's okay to ask for help?

I've been struggling for hours trying to get this backstory together...

Your character's Name: She doesn't have one. I was leaving it open for someone to find her, befriend her and give her a name. But for needing a name's sake, I was thinking 'Hope'
    Race: Tiefling
    Bloodline: Unsure. Asmodeus or Mephistopheles. Admittedly, the bloodlines have me super confused on how to weave it all together so please feel free to pick one for me.
    Class: Druid (I know it doesn't technically go but my DM is allowing it)
    Appearance: Blue skinned, white hair, solid white eyes, one horn broken halfway, thinner than what is normal for a Tiefling's weight/body build.
    Demeanour: Shy, timid, untrusting... takes a while to earn her trust.
    Background: Unsure, leaning more towards 'Haunted One' (feel free to change this if you need to)

Rough Outline for Backstory:
    Mother (human) is disgusted by the blue baby that she birthed. She couldn't stand to be the mother to a monster so she committed the death. Maybe the Father brings her back. She's yet to grown her horns and tail so she just looks like a normal blue baby. Had a very abusive upbringing to the point where one of her horns is broken. Thinking of perhaps a monster of sorts using her as a slave and for sickening entertainment purposes.

Until all that anger finally hit and she let loose.

She finally managed to escape but not without a fight (hence her horn breaking). She ran until exhaustion hit her. Deep wounds that needed time to heal. She was found bruised, bloodied, and weak by her new 'party', (or she ran to them before collapsing from exhaustion) fighting unconsciousness she begs them not to harm her.

Her story arc is going from abused and weak (timid and frightened to her group like a deer), learning to navigate through so much hate and distrust, to being strong and managing to convince people that she's not evil just because she's a Tiefling.

Feel free to add/change any of these characteristic traits. I've tweaked a couple of them from the Haunted One Background. DM is allowing his players to make their own as long as it works.

Flaws: (Hopefully following her bloodline with this but her) anger gets out of control. Once she reaches that rage, there's no controlling her outburst.

[B]Traits: Nurturing nature (bringing plants and animals back to health) brings her happiness.

Ideals: (Currently unknown)

Bonds: (Currently Unknown)

If it's too much, or too triggering, please don't worry aboout it! I don't want to make you uncomortable. But her backstory is traumatic and sad, which only adds to her strength as a character.

16. - Top - End - #886

Race - Halfling
    Class - Monk (Way of the Four Elements)
    Gender - Male
    Background - Urchin? (This just isn't set in stone and can change since we use custom backgrounds for the freedom to pick skills and proficiencies.)
    Extra details - Will have Thieves Tools and Brewer's Supplies proficiencies. DM is allowing the latter to be used for alcohol AND tea should I wish. His preferred weapon is a spear. I imagined a Way of Shadow Monk initially because I wanted this character to be sneaky and the archetype reflected his tendency to want to generally avoid notice very well. However I got to thinking about the spear and the fishing thing, and how thematically I think it would be very neat to instead lean into that and be a Way of the Four Elements Monk to show that connection to water, focusing on water and ice themed abilities. I'm not changing any of my proficiencies, but I thought I'd let you know this is the direction I think I am going to take Ash now. And if it works out better for you to just keep the original idea for him in your writing; I'm still happy with that. Thanks again.
    I delved into why your character is studying (water element specifically) - at least training/starting reasons! Hope you like that!
    Put on some Soul Edge/Soul Calibur music to get into the vibe of "Monks" and "Ki" - and that mind set. This naturally led to this - The character I introduce (Tahki) is – if you’re a Soul Edge/Soul Calibur fan – clearly meant to reference “Taki” (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ec/86...d90f18ad93.jpg) – she was one of my favorite characters to play in Soul Edge.
    I love leaving things for DMs to take and run with (Tahki and what happens there - and the group that's introduced - the monastery your character starts at). All of that the DM can run with, or ignore.
    Anyway - would love to hear your feedback - it helps keep the thread bumped and alive since we can't double post to bump threads!
    Anyway - enjoy!
    =========================

Ashworth Tealeaf – his friends, which were far and few between – simply called him “Ash” – sat on the cold, hard, marble floor of the monastery, his legs crossed, his arms resting peacefully on them, his eyes closed as he hummed ever so slightly. In front of him was a small table with a small tea pot in front of him that slowly began to whistle to the same song that Ash himself had been humming.

A young female, with a shapely body, hair as black as the night, tapped Ashworth on the back of the head playfully. “Are you doing that thing where you channel your Ki to make your tea?”

Ash unfolded his legs, sighed, and stood. He came up to the young female’s waist line as he stared up at her. “Yes, Tahki, that’s exactly what I was trying to do before you interrupted me.”

Tahki sighed and rolled her eyes at her small companion. “But that’s so boring!” She clenched her fist and it began to glow. “You can use your Ki to do so much more.”

“True,” Ashworth grumbled as he packed up his teapot and placed it in his backpack, knowing that the young Tahki would not let him return to his practices and studies. She was relentless, wild, and easily bored – and there was nothing Ashworth feared more than when Tahki was bored – she became unbearable.

As they left the monastery and headed down the lake, many of the young men, who had been trying to maintain concentration during their training in the yard, faulted as Tahki walked by. Ashworth looked up at her, “You see that right? How the human males fall over you?”

Tahki blushed for a moment and shook the comment away with her hand, “They’re just not thinking right.” It’s true that Tahki was a beautiful woman – but she had no interest in the opposite sex it would seem – or even in anyone, except Ashworth – and even their friendship was completely platonic. She’d been drawn to him when she first came to the monetary because he seemed to be the most genuine of all the students she’d been training with. Perhaps, because the other students, who had just began their training had not yet learned to harness their minds, and still thought too much with desire – but Ashworth was different. He was focused, unwavering and unaffected by the beauty she’d been born with. She was in every regard, Ashworth’s opposite – where he was focused, she simply wanted to be the best at what she trained at – but taking the shortest route possible. If training took too long, she would lose her focus and cease trying. In many ways, Tahki reminded Ashworth of a cat he once had – it would have a burst of energy, and then become bored and lay in the sun.

Part of Tahki’s problem is that she came from a very rich family. Unlike Ashworth, who grew up an urchin on the streets, struggling for his next meal, Tahki simply snapped her fingers and her parents would bring her whatever she wanted. Tahki’s sole interest in even becoming a Monk and joining the monastery was because she’d witnessed a fight on the street and watched as a Monk had single handedly, with one hand behind his back, take down six would be muggers. She thought it looked amazing and she wanted to be able to do that – the one thing she couldn’t get with the snap of her fingers was the skill, time and dedication it took to properly channel Ki to do all it was capable of.

Ashworth pulled the small fishing boat closer to the pier as he looked back at Tahki who was rambling about wanting to fight orcish armies. Ashworth rolled his eyes and heaved a deep sigh. The fishing boat gently bumped against the dock as he climbed in, he extended his hand, “Are you coming?”

“Fishing again?” her shoulders slumped as the energy drained from her body. “That’s all you do. Stare at your tea and go fishing.”

As the small fishing boat floated gently in the water, she tossed and turned, and finally asked, “So why do you spend every morning staring and singing to your tea?”

Ashworth smiled, “I am trying to channel my Ki to understand how the very elements around us interact. I put my tea leaves in my tea pot with water – and when I close the lid – I close my eyes and focus my Ki – to try and see inside the tea pot. Once I can see inside, I begin to master the small body of water to break down my tea leaves and create my tea. Did you know our bodies are mostly composed of water? Can you imagine what an enemy could do if they could master the Water elements on such a level as to drain a person’s body of liquid?”

“Is that why you come out here to fish? To study the water?” she yawned.

“No,” Ashworth smiled, playfully. “Normally I come out here to fish, because it’s how I get away from you.”

She sat up quickly and smacked him playfully in the arm. “You’re mean! You love me! You know you do!”

“Love you?” he laughed. “I don’t even think you know how to love. I do, however, adore your friendship, as maddening as you can be sometimes.” He sat back and cast his fishing line, his fishing spear at his side. “The truth of it is – my tea is for drinking, the fish are for eating. But yes, understanding – and reading the waters – allows me to try and better understand the movement of the fish beneath the water that my eyes may not be able to see.”

“Anyone ever tell you that you’re boring?” Tahki laughed.

“Yes,” Ashworth replied.

“Oh?” Tahki sat up, as if there might be someone she might need to go rough up to defend her friend. “Who?”

“You, Tahki, like every single day you tell me,” he laughed, she laughed, and the boat nearly toppled over.

The following morning, Ashworth was packing up his teapot before Tahki arrived – robbing her of her tradition concentration disruption. She stood in the doorway. “Where do you think you’re going?”

“Master Heiwa has asked me to go to town and fetch some supplies,” Ashworth replied.

“I will go with you!” Tahki cheered.

“That’s not a good idea,” Ashworth remarked quickly.

Tahki paused. “What? Why?”

“Tahki, not only are you a beautiful woman who is going to draw a lot of attention, but you also come from a very wealthy family. You’re liable to attract unwanted attention. There are people who would abduct you and ransom you for money,” Ashworth explained.

“Well, then we show off our skills as Monks, that’s what we’ve been training for, right?” Tahki held up her first which glowed a soft hue of energy.

Ashworth sighed – he had hoped to have left before Tahki arrived, because he knew there would be no convincing her otherwise. “Fine,” he muttered. “But stay close. And for the love of the gods, put a loose fitting cloak on to hide your face.”

“I can’t stay hidden forever,” Tahki smiled.

“No, but you can for today,” Ashworth argued.

He brought with him, his fishing spear – it made him look like one of the local fisherman in the town of Hamuretto. “Stay close to me,” he muttered as they walked through the streets. As a child, Tahki grew up very secluded – her parent’s carriage typically took the nicer roads and never into the heart of a town unless it was lined with guards. Her gaze was wandering here and there as she continued to bump into people because she was not paying attention to what was in front of her. One of the men had bumped into her so hard, that her hood fell off, revealing her face – and too late, Ashworth realized the men who had been bumping into her had been the same men – undoubtedly trying to make out if she was who she appeared to be. And now with the cloak off – more men seemed to spring from the alleyways. Ashworth threw down his satchel and drew his spear, but before he could do much, men had tackled him and managed to knock him down while others grabbed Tahki.

Before Ashworth was beat into unconsciousness, he heard Tahki’s voice yelling, “Ash!”

Ashworth woke up at the monastery, being tended to Master Heiwa. “Take it easy,” the elder human’s voice assured the Halfling, as his hand rested gently on Ashworth’s chest. “You took quite a beating.”

“Tahki? Where is she?” Ashworth tried to sit up, but the bruised ribs ensured the better idea was listening to Master Heiwa and remaining on his back.

“They’ve taken her,” Master Heiwa said after a moment.

“Who is ‘they’,” Ashworth asked.

“The Veriskani,” Master Heiwa replied. “An elite force dedicated to training assassins.”

“We have to get her back,” Ashworth winced. “She got taken because of me.”

“No,” Master Heiwa replied, “she got taken because of her own actions.”

Still, for weeks Ashworth trained – and every day he waited for Tahki to come in and interrupt his tea ceremony – but she never did.

One day, he heaved a deep sigh and packed his bag and fishing spear. As he turned to leave he saw a figure – but it was not the soft feminine figure of Tahki – but rather of a slumped over male – “Master Heiwa!”

Master Heiwa smiled. “I knew this day would come. I came to wish you luck on your travels – and should you ever need us – we are always home to you, Ashworth.”

Ashworth smiled, bowed and said, “Thank you, Master Heiwa.”

And the monastery eventually disappeared behind the sunset as Ashworth set out to find clues to where he might find Tahki.

Name is Zara, and she is a Half Drow Shadow Monk. She knows how to fight while blinded (thanks to a dip in Fighter). Initially she would be some sort of furtive spy type or a bounty hunter traveler.
    And here is Zara!
    She was fun to write - a misfit by nature (half Drow) - and dipping fight (Blind Fighting) with Monk.
    The beginning really focuses on her Blind Fighting - but then I use her Monk abilities - and make reference that someone else saw it (describing it similar to the Akuma move you mentioned - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvByzQowf4)
    And that someone else ties into what you said would be a "challenge" for me (The Emerald Enclave - https://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and...emeraldenclave)
    Hope you and your girlfriend enjoy!
    I'd love to hear feedback in this thread - because replies help keep the thread floating (since we can't double post to bump or gain the wraith of the moderators).
    Enjoy!
    ==============
    Zara stood in the center of the arena – the dust settled around her.

Normally the crowds would be roaring – but they were staring down in awe. Zara was not only unusual looking in her appearance, due to her half Drow heritage – but she stood in the center of the arena, after leaping off the cart that pulled her in – staff in hand, and blindfolded.

Two, large, rotund humans entered the opposite gate and saw the woman in the middle of the field. They paused wondering if she was the announcer for the fighter they would be fighting against, but as the voices in the crowds began to cheer it became clear to Brik and Thik, that the woman was their opponent.

“Don’t think for a moment we’re gonna go easy on you, pretty lady,” Brik laughed as he pounded his lucerne hammer against his shield.

“But we might not kill you either,” Thik added, laughing as he strapped on his chest piece. “A pretty lady like you could be fun after the fight.” Thik picked up his horseman’s mace and pounded it against the ground to get the recent blood and flesh off of his weapon.

Those brought to the arena were typically brought here to earn their freedom through fighting; however, some, such as Zara enter the arena to test their skills in a fight that was often to the death. Zara turned her head towards the voices she heard, “Do me a favor,” she yelled back as she gripped her staff. “Don’t hold back, because I won’t be. And for the other, the condition you leave this arena will only leave you begging for a Cleric’s healing.”

The crowd erupted into a loud cheer as Zara boldly faced her opponents without removing her blindfold. Brik and Thik were large humans – with the blindfold on, she didn’t need to see them – she could hear them – their thundering footsteps charging her. They’re yelling some “manly howl” as they rushed towards her. She effortlessly dodged Brik’s lunge with his lucerne hammer and used her staff to parry Thik’s horseman’s mace.

She smiled beneath her blindfold. “Tell me, that’s not the best you have to offer? You lunge, you swing – that’s too predictable.”

Normally, she would have followed her parry with a foot sweep – but judging by the thundering sound of their approach, these were large men – so she quickly slid Thik’s weapon into Brik’s as she adjusted her staff and quickly slid beneath Thik’s legs, and kicked behind his knee, sending him tumbling forward into his brother, Brik. The crowd cheered with approval.

Brik howled in fury, “Get off of me! She’s making a fool out of us!”

Zara was already on her feet, staff behind her back, just as she’d been when she leapt from the cart. “I can give you the option to surrender, but you’re probably too dumb to realize you’re already defeated!”

“That’s right! We’re not surrendering!” Thik helped his brother up from the ground since he was rolling back and forth like a turtle who’d fallen on its back.

“Good,” Zara smiled. “I haven’t even begun to sweat – but based on the odor on both of you when I so easily parried you – both of you worked up a sweat just running up to me. A girl does love to be chased by boys, you know.”

“Well, we’re done chasing you!” Thik growled, his brown eyes narrowing on her.

“That’s right,” Brik added, “we’re gonna pound you into the sand.”

There’d been rumors that both Brik and Think were half ogres, based off their size and general intelligence and demeanor. Zara – based off her blindfolded state – that these brothers were more ogre than human.

Brik lunged again as he charged her with his lucerne hammer, which she caught with hand, and brought up at the sound of Thik’s horseman mace. This time she kicked Thik’s blubbery knee forward so he buckled down – and used the momentum to then bring Brik’s hammer crashing down on his brother’s head. She then whispered several words as darkness enveloped them – and when it cleared, both Thik and Brik lay on the floor unconscious.

The crowd roared – the ‘blood brothers’ as they’d been called had never been defeated against a single opponent until now.

“She’s good,” a human in the crowd nodded.

“I told you,” an elf sitting next to him nodded. “She caught my attention when she came to town. It’s not often you see a half Drow. I watched her use her methods to stop a robbery – by doing what she did there – casting a darkness type spell, then repeatedly hitting her targets. She’s clearly very trained in blind fighting – which she uses to her advantage to doing what she does in the shadows.”

“We should talk to her,” the human said, as he stood to leave – the small crest pin on his cloak, that of a deer with gold and green.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-rose View Post
    Hi there! I hope it's okay to ask for help?
    I've been struggling for hours trying to get this backstory together...
    Your character's Name: She doesn't have one. I was leaving it open for someone to find her, befriend her and give her a name. But for needing a name's sake, I was thinking 'Hope'
    Race: Tiefling
    Bloodline: Unsure. Asmodeus or Mephistopheles. Admittedly, the bloodlines have me super confused on how to weave it all together so please feel free to pick one for me.
    Class: Druid (I know it doesn't technically go but my DM is allowing it)
    Appearance: Blue skinned, white hair, solid white eyes, one horn broken halfway, thinner than what is normal for a Tiefling's weight/body build.
    Demeanor: Shy, timid, untrusting... takes a while to earn her trust.
    Background: Unsure, leaning more towards 'Haunted One' (feel free to change this if you need to)
    Rough Outline for Backstory:
    Mother (human) is disgusted by the blue baby that she birthed. She couldn't stand to be the mother to a monster so she committed the death. Maybe the Father brings her back. She's yet to grown her horns and tail so she just looks like a normal blue baby. Had a very abusive upbringing to the point where one of her horns is broken. Thinking of perhaps a monster of sorts using her as a slave and for sickening entertainment purposes.
    Until all that anger finally hit and she let loose.
    She finally managed to escape but not without a fight (hence her horn breaking). She ran until exhaustion hit her. Deep wounds that needed time to heal. She was found bruised, bloodied, and weak by her new 'party', (or she ran to them before collapsing from exhaustion) fighting unconsciousness she begs them not to harm her.
    Her story arc is going from abused and weak (timid and frightened to her group like a deer), learning to navigate through so much hate and distrust, to being strong and managing to convince people that she's not evil just because she's a Tiefling.
    Feel free to add/change any of these characteristic traits. I've tweaked a couple of them from the Haunted One Background. DM is allowing his players to make their own as long as it works.
    Flaws: (Hopefully following her bloodline with this but her) anger gets out of control. Once she reaches that rage, there's no controlling her outburst.
    Traits: Nurturing nature (bringing plants and animals back to health) brings her happiness.
    Ideals: (Currently unknown)
    Bonds: (Currently Unknown)
    If it's too much, or too triggering, please don't worry about it! I don't want to make you uncomfortable. But her backstory is traumatic and sad, which only adds to her strength as a character.
    I went with Mephistopheles (just because it grants an extra power – Legacy of Cania) rather than the standard Tiefling (which is standard PHB Tiefling). Also because I named your mother “Oskurra” which is a play on the pronunciation of “Dark” in Spanish. And Mephistopheles, according to legend stood for “he who shuns the light.” So it somehow seemed fitting to tie all of that together.
    The type of demon that finds her (a Glabrezu) is noted as using temptation to ruin mortals. So this seemed a solid fit for you had mentioned “thinking perhaps a monster of sorts using her as a slave for sickening entertainment purposes.”
    This one turned out pretty dark - there's abuse, sexual abuse, enslavement... but sounds like you were wanting a really messed up background to explain why she was timid.
    So hopefully I delivered, without going to much into it. Parts of it can be taken out and still get the same effect (like the young sex slave).
    Regardless - I'd love to hear your thoughts! Replies to this thread keep it alive and bumped!
    Enjoy!
    ==============================

In a small hamlet, on the edge of a forest whose name has changed over the years, the cry of a newly born infant pierces the night – followed by the horrified screams of the mother who bore the child. It is not screams that the child has died – no, rather it is because the child is still alive. The mother’s voice could be heard on this still, quiet night, breaking the silence with her fury, “Why is my child blue? If it’s not because she’s suffocating – then why is her skin blue? Take this monstrosity away from me! Take it away now!”

The new mother was a human mother named Oskurra Redmoon. The midwives held the child in their hands as Oskurra turned her back on them and the child on the bed; with the midwives exchanging glances. They called Oskurra’s husband, Speran Redmoon, who entered the room and gazed at the infant wrapped in a blanket and saw the blue skin.

“Is she…” he began, his lip trembling.

“No, she is alive,” the midwife named Nakimienta replied. “And she is healthy.”

Speran’s eyes gazed past the midwives to his wife, who still had her back turned. “And my wife?”

“Also alive and healthy,” the second midwife, Nina answered. “She however, denies the child milk of her breast.” She paused. “She denies the child. She wants her… killed.”

Speran’s eyes widened, horrified. “Killed? But we’ve tried for years to have a child… and now we do.” The midwives stared amongst one another, having no answer. Speran nodded, and whispered, “I will take the child home. My wife, when she is well, I will talk to her to accept the child.”

But when Oskurra came home, no matter what Speran said – he could not convince her to embrace the child. Their nights were full of violent fights where Oskurra, more than once, drew a kitchen blade and put it to her husband’s throat demanding he take the demon child out and kill it. After months of fighting, Oskurra finally crossed a line. She felt a swelling fury pounding at the temples of her brain as the fight escalated, and like she’d always done – she drew the kitchen blade – but this time, she did not hesitate. She plunged it deep into Speran’s stomach and growled, like an animal. “You’re right!” she spat in his face. “We tried for years to have a child! And you know what? I did something I shouldn’t have! When the gods refused to hear my prayer – I called on a demon – who came to me and said he could grant me a child! I thought he meant between you and I! But no – he came to me in a dream – seduced me, against my own will – I wanted to say no, but I couldn’t – I just gave myself to him in the dream! And it was incredible! Do you want to know that? It was incredible! Even though I hated it – what he made me feel! When I awoke – I awoke, sweating – as if I had experienced it! But I was sure it was a dream! But then I was pregnant! And then I told myself it was coincidence! But the child – the child is born of a demon seed!”

She stared at her husband, and his vacant, hollow, horrified eyes stared back at her – devoid of life. He’d bled to death somewhere during her rant. Furious, Oskurra turned towards the unnamed infant, “See what you made me do! See what your demon magic has done!” The infant, unaware of what was going on reached out, wanting nothing more than to finally know the embrace of a loving mother. Instead, Oskurra grabbed the infant by the throat and took her to the river and cast her into the rapids – she couldn’t even bear the thought of the child, even dead, being anywhere near her – so let the infant drown and be swept away, the fish that nibbled at her flesh would be poisoned by her demon flesh!

Perhaps, had the infant died in that river, she would have been spared the pain that followed. But there’d been a Glabrezu demon named, Tentakion had taken a great interest in Mephistopheles work – and this infant could be trained and for his own needs. Tentakion saved the infant child and opened a portal to his dimension – a corner in Hades, where he raised her for sixteen years – forcing her to kill, main, murder, and harvest souls to create manes. When the child reached the age of sixteen her unleashed her into the Material Plane, to tempt married men, and in turn blackmail them – and many would promise their soul Tentakion, not believing the parchment they were signing held any true weight coming from a sixteen year old, with a womanly figure, white hair and solid white eyes. Despite her own demonic appearance, most men who engaged in relationships with her were looking for something they were not getting from their wives – which often meant wild, twisted and unthinkable relations.

This persisted for two years, when one day, the child who had never spoke a word to Tentakion, came back from one of her “missions of seduction” – and took the parchment and tore it in front of him. Tentakion stood, furious, “How dare you! I saved you! What’s the meaning of this?”

The child, with her white eyes, stared directly into his black, soulless eyes and whispered one word.

“Hope.”

He howled in fury and lunged at her and somewhere in her – she broke that chain of submission she’d been enslaved to for all of her life. Something inside her told her to fight – to break free – and begin her life anew. She produced a dagger she’d taken from her latest “conquest” and plunged it deep into Tentakion’s shoulder! The four armed demon reeled back – staring in awe – and somewhat horror – that this mortal whelp had not only dared to defy him – but strike him as well. His two arms reached out and grabbed her by the wait, while his two clawed hands grabbed her by the horn.

“I can twist your neck from your body,” Tentakion howled.

The unnamed child then threw a handful of acorns she’d had in her pouch, and found herself uttering, “The Oak Father sends his regards!”

Tentakion’s black, soulless eyes bulged as the acorns seemingly expanded in his throat. His hands went to his neck as he choked and gasped for air. The child quickly turned, using the portals that Tentakion had created to send her to the mortal plane, and escaped – running, never stopping.

She spent weeks living in the forest, where she began her life anew. She could hear the roots, the way the wind made the trees speak. She fashioned herself an herbalism kit as she began to learn about the plants, and what different ones did. At night, a large oak tree would frequently visit her dreams – and speak with her, and taught her a new language – the Druidic tongue. She thought it was strange, but unlike Tentakion – this voice seemed to want to teach her – help her grow – and find herself.

Several times, throughout the following months, she thought she heard Tentakion’s voice in the shadows, and she found herself running – and that’s when she ran into another group of adventurers who had heard something in the woods running – it’d been her.

One of them extended their hand to her, “We’re sorry. We thought someone was in trouble. What’s your name?”

Nervously, she accepted the extended hand, and answered, “Hope. My name is Hope.”
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2021-06-09 at 10:37 AM.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

And here is Zara!
    She was fun to write - a misfit by nature (half Drow) - and dipping fight (Blind Fighting) with Monk.
    The beginning really focuses on her Blind Fighting - but then I use her Monk abilities - and make reference that someone else saw it (describing it similar to the Akuma move you mentioned - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvByzQowf4)
    And that someone else ties into what you said would be a "challenge" for me (The Emerald Enclave - https://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and...emeraldenclave)
    I'd love to hear feedback in this thread - because replies help keep the thread floating (since we can't double post to bump or gain the wraith of the moderators).
    Enjoy!
    ==============
    Zara stood in the center of the arena – the dust settled around her.

Normally the crowds would be roaring – but they were staring down in awe. Zara was not only unusual looking in her appearance, due to her half Drow heritage – but she stood in the center of the arena, after leaping off the cart that pulled her in – staff in hand, and blindfolded.

Two, large, rotund humans entered the opposite gate and saw the woman in the middle of the field. They paused wondering if she was the announcer for the fighter they would be fighting against, but as the voices in the crowds began to cheer it became clear to Brik and Thik, that the woman was their opponent.

“Don’t think for a moment we’re gonna go easy on you, pretty lady,” Brik laughed as he pounded his lucerne hammer against his shield.

“But we might not kill you either,” Thik added, laughing as he strapped on his chest piece. “A pretty lady like you could be fun after the fight.” Thik picked up his horseman’s mace and pounded it against the ground to get the recent blood and flesh off of his weapon.

Those brought to the arena were typically brought here to earn their freedom through fighting; however, some, such as Zara enter the arena to test their skills in a fight that was often to the death. Zara turned her head towards the voices she heard, “Do me a favor,” she yelled back as she gripped her staff. “Don’t hold back, because I won’t be. And for the other, the condition you leave this arena will only leave you begging for a Cleric’s healing.”

The crowd erupted into a loud cheer as Zara boldly faced her opponents without removing her blindfold. Brik and Thik were large humans – with the blindfold on, she didn’t need to see them – she could hear them – their thundering footsteps charging her. They’re yelling some “manly howl” as they rushed towards her. She effortlessly dodged Brik’s lunge with his lucerne hammer and used her staff to parry Thik’s horseman’s mace.

She smiled beneath her blindfold. “Tell me, that’s not the best you have to offer? You lunge, you swing – that’s too predictable.”

Normally, she would have followed her parry with a foot sweep – but judging by the thundering sound of their approach, these were large men – so she quickly slid Thik’s weapon into Brik’s as she adjusted her staff and quickly slid beneath Thik’s legs, and kicked behind his knee, sending him tumbling forward into his brother, Brik. The crowd cheered with approval.

Brik howled in fury, “Get off of me! She’s making a fool out of us!”

Zara was already on her feet, staff behind her back, just as she’d been when she leapt from the cart. “I can give you the option to surrender, but you’re probably too dumb to realize you’re already defeated!”

“That’s right! We’re not surrendering!” Thik helped his brother up from the ground since he was rolling back and forth like a turtle who’d fallen on its back.

“Good,” Zara smiled. “I haven’t even begun to sweat – but based on the odor on both of you when I so easily parried you – both of you worked up a sweat just running up to me. A girl does love to be chased by boys, you know.”

“Well, we’re done chasing you!” Thik growled, his brown eyes narrowing on her.

“That’s right,” Brik added, “we’re gonna pound you into the sand.”

There’d been rumors that both Brik and Think were half ogres, based off their size and general intelligence and demeanor. Zara – based off her blindfolded state – that these brothers were more ogre than human.

Brik lunged again as he charged her with his lucerne hammer, which she caught with hand, and brought up at the sound of Thik’s horseman mace. This time she kicked Thik’s blubbery knee forward so he buckled down – and used the momentum to then bring Brik’s hammer crashing down on his brother’s head. She then whispered several words as darkness enveloped them – and when it cleared, both Thik and Brik lay on the floor unconscious.

The crowd roared – the ‘blood brothers’ as they’d been called had never been defeated against a single opponent until now.

“She’s good,” a human in the crowd nodded.

“I told you,” an elf sitting next to him nodded. “She caught my attention when she came to town. It’s not often you see a half Drow. I watched her use her methods to stop a robbery – by doing what she did there – casting a darkness type spell, then repeatedly hitting her targets. She’s clearly very trained in blind fighting – which she uses to her advantage to doing what she does in the shadows.”

“We should talk to her,” the human said, as he stood to leave – the small crest pin on his cloak, that of a deer with gold and green.
    Amazing as always. As I've said before, we already started the campaign so most of the background is already set (her name ended up being Elanor). The funny part is that personality-wise they have some similarities.
    I had an idea while reading your description of the fight: I'll talk with our DM and see if he can somehow introduce a similar scene for my girlfriend, instead of presenting this post to her directly. This way it will be sort of incorporated into her story and I believe Elanor will smash those guys as easily as Zara did :)

The enclave thing never took off, my girlfriend ended up more inclined to the Harpists but your hook would have worked since it's open enough that our DM could connect mostly anything to it.

Glad to see you found some time to write again, I'll make sure to come back with requests if I start any new characters
    Last edited by javianhalt; 2021-06-07 at 10:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #888

Amazing as always. As I've said before, we already started the campaign so most of the background is already set (her name ended up being Elanor). The funny part is that personality-wise they have some similarities.
    I had an idea while reading your description of the fight: I'll talk with our DM and see if he can somehow introduce a similar scene for my girlfriend, instead of presenting this post to her directly. This way it will be sort of incorporated into her story and I believe Elanor will smash those guys as easily as Zara did :)
    The enclave thing never took off, my girlfriend ended up more inclined to the Harpists but your hook would have worked since it's open enough that our DM could connect mostly anything to it.
    Glad to see you found some time to write again, I'll make sure to come back with requests if I start any new characters
    Thank you! Hopefully you're able to make it work - if not, show her this - and if she has feedback, I'd love to hear it (good or bad)!

I am now, pretty much all caught up - there was some folks who presented me with two characters, to pick one - so I will probably now go back through those and write the second characters.

So if anyone has some character backstories they'd like written - feel free to post your request - I will do those before finishing the secondary challenges. :)

19. - Top - End - #889
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thank you! Hopefully you're able to make it work - if not, show her this - and if she has feedback, I'd love to hear it (good or bad)!
    Sure, will do!

I am now, pretty much all caught up - there was some folks who presented me with two characters, to pick one - so I will probably now go back through those and write the second characters.

So if anyone has some character backstories they'd like written - feel free to post your request - I will do those before finishing the secondary challenges. :)
    I do have some NPCs that could use some help with a richer backstory if you find yourself with free time and nothing to do with it

The world used is Forgotten Realms. There is this guy (an oath of conquest paladin) who is on a "personal crusade" to get rid of mages who are (in his eyes) "out of control and abusing their power for selfish needs". You see, he is not an EVIL TO THE CORE kind of guy, I was thinking more of a "Lawful Neutral" kind of alignment. He is just someone who doesn't trust spellcasters (I didn't think about the "why" yet, but definitely something to do with a bad experience in his past).
    His biggest flaw is that he enjoys himself in combat a little too much. He is not satisfied in just defeating enemies, he likes to instill FEAR into their minds and crush them when their spirits are already broken. He once commanded a legion of soldiers but was deemed too extreme and forced into exile. Nevertheless, he continues on his personal mission, feeling now more than ever that the world is misguided and needs a firm hand (probably his) to guide it back into a path that doesn't involve chaos and corruption.

That's all I have for concrete thoughts. For a less concrete part, I was considering the idea of his race being an Aasimar. Maybe figuring out this origin was the spark for the start of his personal quest on maintaining order, but despite the supposedly good intentions and guidance of his celestial guide, the paladins' actions fall more into a grey area where people are not really sure anymore if he is actually a good influence or just a lesser evil who takes on bigger evils and therefore are excused for some of his transgressions.
    A good old human is also an option. I wouldn't have a lot to go on here based on race alone if he is Human, but the good part is that it's a blank canvas for anything to be added.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Firbolg in the Playground

And here is Zara!
    Enjoy!
    Heeey, is that a Way of the Demonweb Spider Monk?
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2021-06-11 at 02:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

21. - Top - End - #891

Sure, will do!
    I do have some NPCs that could use some help with a richer backstory if you find yourself with free time and nothing to do with it
    The world used is Forgotten Realms. There is this guy (an oath of conquest paladin) who is on a "personal crusade" to get rid of mages who are (in his eyes) "out of control and abusing their power for selfish needs". You see, he is not an EVIL TO THE CORE kind of guy, I was thinking more of a "Lawful Neutral" kind of alignment. He is just someone who doesn't trust spellcasters (I didn't think about the "why" yet, but definitely something to do with a bad experience in his past).
    His biggest flaw is that he enjoys himself in combat a little too much. He is not satisfied in just defeating enemies, he likes to instill FEAR into their minds and crush them when their spirits are already broken. He once commanded a legion of soldiers but was deemed too extreme and forced into exile. Nevertheless, he continues on his personal mission, feeling now more than ever that the world is misguided and needs a firm hand (probably his) to guide it back into a path that doesn't involve chaos and corruption.
    That's all I have for concrete thoughts. For a less concrete part, I was considering the idea of his race being an Aasimar. Maybe figuring out this origin was the spark for the start of his personal quest on maintaining order, but despite the supposedly good intentions and guidance of his celestial guide, the paladins' actions fall more into a grey area where people are not really sure anymore if he is actually a good influence or just a lesser evil who takes on bigger evils and therefore are excused for some of his transgressions.
    A good old human is also an option. I wouldn't have a lot to go on here based on race alone if he is Human, but the good part is that it's a blank canvas for anything to be added.
    Consider it added!

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    The flow of what they wanted fits closely (you even used the Akuma shadow punch)!

22. - Top - End - #892
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    Yes it is

23. - Top - End - #893

PirateWench

Hello all -

Sorry about the absence. The hits have kept coming.

Just last week, the wife and I made the call, to send Odin, my Husky who has blessed us for 17 years, to Forever Sleep.
    I'm still not healed. Wind feels like it's been yanked from my sails. Creativity feels empty at the moment (undoubtedly due to the heartache).

But I will get these added and knocked out as soon as I can.

For those interested...

Odin Celebration of Life video (16 Min) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL4F...awmisGreybeard
    Odin Celebration of Life video (1 hour) - same video as above. The above one is this one - just time lapsed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgKi...awmisGreybeard

*snip*

Can you give me more information? What type of attacks? Do you have it linked somewhere (like D&D Beyond?) as to how it works, so I can get an idea.
    Also - gender, race and name. (The name I can make up if you don't have one in mind) - but the gender and race would be beneficial.
    Also any personality traits, flaws, etc - to let me know what you have in mind roughly for the character's personality.
    I'm sorry about Odin :(

Okay I think I have a working model for it:

Level 3

Iaijutsu — During your Attack Action you may Concentrate and “store” your Attacks, then unleash them as a single Bonus Action attack on the same turn or in response to being attacked before your next turn (this also costs your Reaction) adding 1d12 extra damage to this single attack per attack stored.

Your first attack after drawing your weapon also has a crit range of 19-20.

Level 7

You have Expertise in Insight

You gain advantage on Initiative once per short rest

Level 10

You may add your dex mod to katana damage once per turn.

If you kill a character with an Iaijutsu strike you can apply the same attack roll to another within five feet, up to Dex bonus times.

Level 15

Action Surge grants you an additional bonus action as well.

Level 18

Sheathing your sword by spending your Reaction lets you reroll damage after a hit.
    ^here is what I've so far decided on for the archetype. He's a level 11 character with 1 level of rogue (he has expertise in stealth and persuasion!) and 10 in fighter. I haven't decided on a name for him, but he's a human in his early twenties. His parents passed away when he was a teen, so he's grown up as head of his own estate, and he's been a bit...flighty. He has a not undeserved reputation as a lothario (gained his stealth and persuasion skills that way!), which annoys his wives a bit but as long as he doesn't get cut apart by angry fathers they're just glad he makes it home safely.*

Besides that he's a skilled duelist famous for not yet being defeated by man or monster. However! Following an invitation from a beautiful woman (who looks a lot like Lily...Not that he knows her) to a secluded location, he found a dead body, moments before guards burst in and accused him of the crime!

Now he's on the run, along with his wives, who refused to leave him to fend for himself.

*His wives are the retainers he gets from the Noble background, except each has a level of Rogue (taught by Furea) Monk (taught by Lily) and Fighter (taught by Kosai and Senshi!). Incidentally, this game is going to take place a few years in the future of the world Kosai is in, and this guy's wives are her triplet daughters!
    Official girltoy of O-Chul's harem. Join the harem here! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-harem-sign-up!

24. - Top - End - #894
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

“Hope. My name is Hope.”
    Hopefully I'm replying to this correctly.

I just want to say a major thank you for writing the backstory! And I'm sorry it took so long to reply/acknowledge. I really wanted to donate something but had to wait until I had enough funds :)

The backstory had my DnD group in super protective mode of my Tiefling ('cause we're all a sucker for any hurt-comfort trauma) and were all excited!!!

I credited you, of course!

I'm still new to DnD so I don't think I have any (polite) criticism or advice to offer. Nor do I think you need it. You're doing such a marvelous job with all these backstories! So thank you once again and you'll see my once more for another character!

25. - Top - End - #895
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Name: Pekk
    Race: Half-Orc
    Class: Barbarian
    Background: Outlander; Homesteader (Farm-Boy)
    Primal Path: Totem Warrior
    Alignment: Neutral Good/Good

Other

Eye Colour: Ice Blue
    Skin Colour: Greenish Grey
    Hair: Black, short on sides, swept back.
    Scars: Deep scar on his torso, shoulder, a few littering his forearms, one on his chin/jaw
    Teeth: Bottom two tusks protruding ever so slightly outside the lip.
    Body: Bulky but fit. Leaning more towards human appearance than orc.
    Attire: Blue plaid shirt, sleeves rolled up to his forearms, few top buttons open to expose a bit of chest - which usually exposes an inch of his prominant scar. Black pants.

Flaws: [I don't like the ones offered in the book, so something to do with short-tempered anger issues. Like, I lose my temper/rage at the slightest insult]
    Personality Trait: I feel far more comfortable around animals than people.
    Bonds: Any injury to the unspoiled wilderness of my home is an injury to me. [feel free to change the Bonds or make one up as you see fit. I'm undecided with what works]
    Ideals: The natural world is more importan that all the constructs of civilisation or If I dishonor myself, I dishonor my whole clan [Feel free to change or make one up as you see fit. I'm undecided on the ideals.]

Rough Outline:

Orc and Human tribe formed an alliance together as they went to war against something. That's how the orc father met the human mother (who was a nurse). Fell in love.
    Once the war was over, they retired to on some acred property and lived out a farm life, harvesting for the tribe/s (orc/human).

I don't know whether another war broke out or they were attacked by some form of a giant beastie. But Pekk is old enough to fight alongside his father. The Father died - his last words to Pekk were 'Look after your Mother'. (they were a sweet old-fashioned couple who raised Pekk to be a gentleman. Treat a lady right.)

Pekk lived out most of his time working on the farm, constantly going into town for supplies or whatever.

That's all I got.

Other things I would like to consider:
    • He's wise. Not so much intelligent, but I swapped out his 3rd high level stat for wisdom. As I'd like to make him wise but with anger issues. Being on a farm, with nature, you quickly learn things.
    • He's polite.
    • He's a gentleman towards a lady. Would like him to meet someone, fall in love, treat her proper-like. Probably a bit bumbling around her rather than his usual macho self (This is more for character development throughout the game though).
    • Has a soft spot for animals.
    • Leaning more towards Bear/Wolf as a totem for a spiritual reason. Either the loyalty of a pack of wolves speaks to him or the protectiveness of a Mother Bear or something like that.
    • Accidentally crushes teacups etc. with his natural strength. Always an 'Awh. Dang it.'
    • "Perhaps if we considered the terrain-" "What would a green, boogery dimwit know-" "-GOES ON A VERBAL RAGE TANGENT- Ahem. Terribly sorry about that. All I'm saying is..." moments.

I'm sorry if I've written a lot. I tend to use my DnD Characters as normal characters to write with in general (outside DnD). No rush to do it. No pressure either. If you're not vibing with it, that's all good too :)

26. - Top - End - #896

Hello all - happy to report I am still alive.

The wife had a health issue (end of July) that landed her back in the hospital. Thankfully not as bad as it could have been - but she's been my focus.

She seems to be recovering nicely now - going to see if I can knock a few of these out this week.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hello all - happy to report I am still alive.
    Happy to hear that :)

28. - Top - End - #898

PirateWench

Hope she gets better soon!

29. - Top - End - #899

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-rose View Post
    Name: Pekk
    Race: Half-Orc
    Class: Barbarian
    Background: Outlander; Homesteader (Farm-Boy)
    Primal Path: Totem Warrior
    Alignment: Neutral Good/Good
    Other
    Eye Colour: Ice Blue
    Skin Colour: Greenish Grey
    Hair: Black, short on sides, swept back.
    Scars: Deep scar on his torso, shoulder, a few littering his forearms, one on his chin/jaw
    Teeth: Bottom two tusks protruding ever so slightly outside the lip.
    Body: Bulky but fit. Leaning more towards human appearance than orc.
    Attire: Blue plaid shirt, sleeves rolled up to his forearms, few top buttons open to expose a bit of chest - which usually exposes an inch of his prominent scar. Black pants.
    Flaws: [I don't like the ones offered in the book, so something to do with short-tempered anger issues. Like, I lose my temper/rage at the slightest insult]
    Personality Trait: I feel far more comfortable around animals than people.
    Bonds: Any injury to the unspoiled wilderness of my home is an injury to me. [feel free to change the Bonds or make one up as you see fit. I'm undecided with what works]
    Ideals: The natural world is more important that all the constructs of civilization or If I dishonor myself, I dishonor my whole clan [Feel free to change or make one up as you see fit. I'm undecided on the ideals.]
    Rough Outline:
    Orc and Human tribe formed an alliance together as they went to war against something. That's how the orc father met the human mother (who was a nurse). Fell in love.
    Once the war was over, they retired to on some acred property and lived out a farm life, harvesting for the tribe/s (orc/human).
    I don't know whether another war broke out or they were attacked by some form of a giant beastie. But Pekk is old enough to fight alongside his father. The Father died - his last words to Pekk were 'Look after your Mother'. (they were a sweet old-fashioned couple who raised Pekk to be a gentleman. Treat a lady right.)
    Pekk lived out most of his time working on the farm, constantly going into town for supplies or whatever.

That's all I got.

Other things I would like to consider:
    • He's wise. Not so much intelligent, but I swapped out his 3rd high level stat for wisdom. As I'd like to make him wise but with anger issues. Being on a farm, with nature, you quickly learn things.
    • He's polite.
    • He's a gentleman towards a lady. Would like him to meet someone, fall in love, treat her proper-like. Probably a bit bumbling around her rather than his usual macho self (This is more for character development throughout the game though).
    • Has a soft spot for animals.
    • Leaning more towards Bear/Wolf as a totem for a spiritual reason. Either the loyalty of a pack of wolves speaks to him or the protectiveness of a Mother Bear or something like that.
    • Accidentally crushes teacups etc. with his natural strength. Always an 'Awh. Dang it.'
    • "Perhaps if we considered the terrain-" "What would a green, boogery dimwit know-" "-GOES ON A VERBAL RAGE TANGENT- Ahem. Terribly sorry about that. All I'm saying is..." moments.

I'm sorry if I've written a lot. I tend to use my DnD Characters as normal characters to write with in general (outside DnD). No rush to do it. No pressure either. If you're not vibing with it, that's all good too :)
    It's only been - what? Four months since you requested this. As I mentioned, between the loss of my dog of 17 years, and some back to back health issues with my wife...
    I couldn't find the time or inspiration to write.
    But my wife is very, very, very slowly mending - and things look hopeful now.
    So my brain is at a slightly more state of peace - and I decided to come back and get to this.
    I actually ... really, really enjoyed writing this.
    I was able to get inside the character's head space, pretty easily, which just allowed the story to write itself with me at the wheel.
    Those are the best, because it feels so natural.
    Anyway, enjoy. It's probably too late to be of use to you, but maybe you can still enjoy the story.

As always, please reply with feedback (whether you loved it, hated it, thought it was all right) - or anything you enjoyed about it. Replies help keep the thread bumped and alive.

==========================================

War.

It has often torn countries apart, created division among people. But sometimes, when an enemy is so great – nations unite, and even those who would consider themselves enemies – band together to face the larger threat.

It was such a war that brought two tribes together – Human and Orc – to stand together, side by side, back to back, against a common enemy.

The years fighting side by side, each side discovered that they’re not much different than the other. Both human and orc, cherished and loved their own families. Each wanted land to live off of. It had been ignorance and fear, of the other, that drove both sides previously to breed hatred in their hearts and soul.

But now, after sharing loss and grief, and seeing each side, suffer so greatly – and share one another’s pain – did these two tribes, not only come to understand one another… to respect one another… but they even came to love one another.

And when the Great War was done; there was a moment where each side wondered, if that fear of one another would rise again, and they would find themselves fighting one another – but instead, each side offered to help the other and maintain the bond they’d formed during the Great War.

Skourn had been a warrior for the orc tribe, when he’d been wounded during the Great War – and had been tended to by Allanessa, a female human cleric and nurse, during the war. The wound to his leg had been a grievous wound, and had it not been for Allanessa’s quick thinking, Skourn would have quickly bled to death. Instead, he survived, and after the Great War, the two remained in contact with one another after the human and orc tribes went their separate ways.

Their bond grew stronger as the weeks passed, as each of them learned, that while they were apart from one another, there was an aching within them that could not be quenched; and soon, mutual respect for one another and friendship, developed into so much more.

Within a year of Skourn moving in with Allanessa, on her farmland, she was soon pregnant. Their son Pekk, was soon born into the world. As the midwife handed Pekk to Allanessa, Skourn smiled as he pulled back sweaty locks of hair from Allanessa’s face. “He is perfect,” Skourn whispered, his deep, husky voice, filled with love. “He looks more like you than me.” He added, with a slight bit of laughter.

Skourn had been raised a warrior, from the time he could speak; but he wanted his son, Pekk to have a different life. Instead of teaching him to be a great and powerful warrior, Skourn focused on teaching his son how to be a great farmer. He taught him the proper time to plant and the proper time to harvest. He showed him how to take care of the farm animals, and how to help when the animals were delivering litters of their own. He taught him how to respect the land, and to kill only in self-defense, or for the need of food – never for pleasure. He taught Pekk that when he did kill an animal for food, to thank the animal for their life that’d been given – and thank the gods for providing the meal.

By the time he’d reached his teenage years, Pekk was far more comfortable around animals than people; but due to his father’s wounded leg from the Great War, and his mother taking care of things around the house, Skourn frequently sent Pekk to the main town to gather supplies and farming equipment that was needed.

It was here that Pekk was often met with glares and whispered comments about how he’d been a half orc – and strangely it came from both sides. Boratun was a town that was frequented by orcs and humans alike – but half orcs here, were extremely rare. Despite their mutual respect for one another, each side – both human and orc – rarely bred with the other.

It was here in Boratun – that Prekk usually found himself getting into trouble. He’d brook no insult about him being a half orc – and even less so if someone spoke ill about his father or mother. More than once, Skourn would have to ride into town when his son hadn’t returned, and pay the local authorities to free his son who had gotten in a fight with someone else who’d insulted him.

Skourn could see it in his son’s eyes – though he physically looked more human than orc, spiritually he was more orc than human – and had a fighting spirit inside of him. Skourn knew that he would need to teach his son how to be a warrior and channel the rage that was building inside of him.

One day, when Skourn had sent his son to Boratun to pick up some farming equipment – and emphasized to ignore any remarks made towards him – Pekk sighed and agreed. He hated going to town but he knew his father couldn’t go – even on horseback, with his wounded leg – it taxed him greatly. Additionally, he hated turning the other check when insulted or sneered at, and just thinking that those making those remarks might be considering him a coward.

When Pekk arrived in Boratun, it was just like every other time. The streets were filled with humans and orcs, the odors from the forges and meat shops lingered in the air, twisting and turning, churning, creating an unpleasant smell.

He happened to see a young woman, standing in front of one of the meat vendors, rifling through her coin purse, blushing in embarrassment. He drew closer and heard her say she was shy several gold coins. Pekk reached into his purse and put them on the counter and smiled at the human woman, “There you go,” he nodded and began to walk away. He heard her thank him.

However, this didn’t go unnoticed by several humans who approached Pekk and snarled, “Why don’t you stick to your own kind, half-breed?”

Pekk paused in his footsteps – and recalled his father saying to ignore insults. Pekk forced the rage down and turned to the three humans who’d insulted him. “I meant no disrespect. I saw the lady was in need for coin for food – to undoubtedly feed her children, and I had some spare coin.”

“Why don’t you hand over the rest of your spare coin?” one of the humans snapped.

“Sadly,” Pekk countered, “I have no more to give. The rest I must use for farming supplies.”

One of them spit on Pekk.

An hour later, he was in the local cell again, with the three humans in a separate cell.

His father came through the front door, apologizing, and again paying for his son’s release. Skourn rode his horse back, while Pekk rode the wagon with the farming supplies. They spoke about what happened, and as they did, Pekk could see the weariness on his father’s face. The farm was an hour away on horseback and it was difficult for his father, more so when it was an hour there, then an hour back with no rest.

“I am sorry father,” Pekk whispered.

His father laughed. “There is nothing to be sorry for,” Skourn shrugged as he looked over at his son, lovingly. “You look like your mother on the outside, but inside, you have my fighting spirit,” he smiled, “You are the perfect blend of who your parents are.”

When they arrived and dismounted, unloading the farming equipment, Pekk looked over at the cattle and sheep and saw how they were completely still. “Father,” Pekk whispered, “something’s wrong. Look at the cattle and sheep.”

“Agreed,” Skourn nodded, “and the chickens as well. They’re being entirely too quiet.”

At that moment, Allanessa saw her husband and son arrive, from the window and came out. “Well, it took both of you long enough,” she said as she made her way towards them, stomping her foot in feigned anger.

In that moment, it became clear why the animals had been so silent and so still – as a large ankheg burst from the ground in front of her. An ankheg is a massive creature, whose appearance resembled a brown praying mantis in the face and mandibles that buried through the ground. Though they primarily fed on the rich soil; they would, from time to time, spring up from the ground to sustain a meat diet. The ankheg was a dangerous animal, because its mandibles could snap tree trunks easily; their chitnous exoskeleton was so thick, that some said it was like striking platemail; and as if that were not enough, they could spit an acidic spray that they used to help break down soil, meat and bones.

Allanessa was stunned by the creature before her, not even able to scream. Skourn did not hesitate, he ran as quickly as he could, his wounded leg searing with pain that could not be measured; and slammed into Allanessa – knocking her out of the way, just as the ankheg released its acidic spit, striking Skourn.

“Father!” Pekk screamed, as his father buckled under the green acid. Pekk grabbed the triangle hoe and rushed the ankheg who turned just in time to see Pekk leap and drive it deep into its left eye. The ankheg struck Pekk with its massive claw, which was covered in hundreds of spikes, ripping his clothes and flesh to pieces as he slammed against the barn wall and had the air knocked out of him. When he regained consciousness moments later, the ankheg had retreated. As his vision cleared he saw his mother crying over what was clearly his father. He tried to stand, but could not, so he crawled to his mother’s side, where his father was rasping for breath. His father reached out, and clasped his son’s hand as firmly as he could, and smiled, and said, “I… am so… proud of you… take care… of your … mother… “ And his eyes rolled to the back of his head, and one large, final breath escaped his lips.

For months, Pekk fought with the guilt that had built up inside of him; had he not got in a fight, had he been home sooner, had he seen the animals sooner; all of this might have been avoided. But it was the animals that knew how to sense the ankheg – and for months, he seemed to spend time learning more from animals than spending time with his mother. The ankheg had gotten away. But it was wounded. Pekk wanted to find it again. Kill it.

And so the rage in him built up. He embraced that side of him. He needed that side of him.

But one day, he saw his mother, struggling around the farm and knew he also needed to be here for her as well.

He would hunt down this ankheg when the time was right.

30. - Top - End - #900

PirateWench

I'm sorry about Odin :(

Okay I think I have a working model for it:

Level 3

Iaijutsu — During your Attack Action you may Concentrate and “store” your Attacks, then unleash them as a single Bonus Action attack on the same turn or in response to being attacked before your next turn (this also costs your Reaction) adding 1d12 extra damage to this single attack per attack stored.

Your first attack after drawing your weapon also has a crit range of 19-20.

Level 7

You have Expertise in Insight

You gain advantage on Initiative once per short rest

Level 10

You may add your dex mod to katana damage once per turn.

If you kill a character with an Iaijutsu strike you can apply the same attack roll to another within five feet, up to Dex bonus times.

Level 15

Action Surge grants you an additional bonus action as well.

Level 18

Sheathing your sword by spending your Reaction lets you reroll damage after a hit.

^here is what I've so far decided on for the archetype. He's a level 11 character with 1 level of rogue (he has expertise in stealth and persuasion!) and 10 in fighter. I haven't decided on a name for him, but he's a human in his early twenties. His parents passed away when he was a teen, so he's grown up as head of his own estate, and he's been a bit...flighty. He has a not undeserved reputation as a lothario (gained his stealth and persuasion skills that way!), which annoys his wives a bit but as long as he doesn't get cut apart by angry fathers they're just glad he makes it home safely.*

Besides that he's a skilled duelist famous for not yet being defeated by man or monster. However! Following an invitation from a beautiful woman (who looks a lot like Lily...Not that he knows her) to a secluded location, he found a dead body, moments before guards burst in and accused him of the crime!

Now he's on the run, along with his wives, who refused to leave him to fend for himself.

*His wives are the retainers he gets from the Noble background, except each has a level of Rogue (taught by Furea) Monk (taught by Lily) and Fighter (taught by Kosai and Senshi!). Incidentally, this game is going to take place a few years in the future of the world Kosai is in, and this guy's wives are her triplet daughters!
    Reposting this all in one place, as requested!