New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon
    @Tawmis: Thanks again!
    (Bronze) Dragonborn (m) Vengeance Paladin of Bahamut.
    (Self)Convinced that Tiamat and her Spawn must be destroyed....
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-08-04 at 11:10 AM.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

2. - Top - End - #272

Quote Originally Posted by Madhatter88 View Post
    Hey there! I really admire your work and would like to queue up a story about Jafar, a knowledge hungry rock gnome wizard. His parents were clerics, but he wants to heal with his own magic, not some god's. School of Transmutation, a Desert setting, a smoke mephit and someting else?
    Hey! So this was kind of a fun one to write!
    You had mentioned wanting a Smoke Mephit involved...
    And I did just that - but perhaps not how you probably had envisioned...?
    But I felt like it was a fun chance to do something different with a Smoke Mephit... and how it would directly impact why Jafar is off questing!
    Please let me know your thoughts!
    I thrive on feedback - whether you like it or not!
    (If you don't like it, I'd love to hear why - not just "I hate it!" LOL)
    If you don't like it, please let me know and I can always try to write something closer to what you want!
    In the meantime, enjoy!
    ================================================== ===
    Jafar Fizzlepoptart heaved a deep sigh as he sat on the jagged rock.

The warm desert sun was bearing down on his forehead. His cool, ice blue eyes looked out at the jagged terrain in front of him known as The Plain of Standing Stones.

A charcoal, black, misty figure sat next to him, mimicking his gesture, as he placed his elbows on his knees and his face in his palm. The musky dark figure that seemed to be composed of smoke, with large wings, and an even larger nose continuously cast side glances at Jafar to ensure he was properly imitating him.

“They still haven’t forgiven me,” Jafar said, emphasizing the word ‘still.’

Two weeks ago, Jafar’s mentor, Baboum Ticklespider had captured a Smoke Mephit, which were fairly common around the sundered ground of The Plain of Standing Stones. Baboum was going to show his students the art of Transmutation by converting the Smoke Mephit into pure gold, something that would have naturally killed the Smoke Mephit.

Jafar had not intended to do what happened next. There was going to be a test about Transmutation and Jafar, though he had studied quite a bit, was feeling a bit uncertain. He had snuck back into the classroom at night with the intention of glancing at the test questions. However, what had happened, he had managed to knock over the glass sphere that held the Smoke Mephit which shattered on the ground and had let it escape.

Baboum would have never found out what happened had it not been for Jafar’s own parents.

Jafar had quickly run away after the glass shattered and returned home. He went to his room and collapsed on his bed, now terribly concerned about the upcoming test, as well as getting in trouble for accidentally letting the Smoke Mephit escape.

When he awoke, he was surprised to see a pair of soulless black eyes staring directly at him, only inches away from his face. It was the Smoke Mephit! Jafar had unintentionally let out a scream, which brought his parents running into his room – and that’s when they saw the Smoke Mephit too and began yelling! The Smoke Mephit quickly made its escape.

Jafar’s parents, who had spent six years trying to convince him to drop the notion of becoming a wizard, and follow the same religious path that they had, now believed that their son was communicating with dark spirits, since Smoke Mephits were known to be evil. His parents immediately marched over to Baboum’s home and began accusing him of turning their children “to make deals with shadows.” When Baboum had asked for clarification, they explained that they saw a Smoke Mephit in their son’s room. Jafar had come running up next, confessed to trying to peak at the test answers and accidentally freeing the Smoke Mephit that had been captured in the Wizardry Class and believed the Smoke Mephit in his room had been the same one.

Jafar was expelled from the class.

That was two weeks ago and Jafar began to realize that the Smoke Mephit from the classroom was now randomly following him, appearing at times when he was alone, often when he was depressed about having been expelled from the class. The Smoke Mephit seemed to mimic his every gesture; copy the way he sat, moved, gestured. Jafar often took the time to confess his feelings of frustration to the Smoke Mephit even though he knew that the creature could not understand or reply; but it had been very therapeutic for him.

With him expelled from the Wizardry class, his parents had returned – more so than ever “to save his soul” – to convince him to follow in their footsteps and embrace the light of Garl Glittergold.

Still sitting on the jagged rock, Jafar’s eyes peered out into the plains and the desert of Anauroch. He suddenly stood up and began walking with the Smoke Mephit behind him following; its black smoky wings fluttering.

There was an entire world out there to discover; an entire world full of magic.

The Smoke Mephit followed Jafar all the way to the edge of the Plains of Standing Stones and stopped and watched as Jafar continued on, pressing his way through Anauroch. It had taken three days and there were times where Jafar had considered this was the worse idea ever when he grew hungry and thirsty, but once he reached the Greycloak Hills there was grass and fields of water to help. A passing wagon had picked him up and offered him a ride to Trielta Hills, which had been a small settlement of scattered gnomes and halflings.

Jafar would start his life anew and become the greatest wizard this world had known.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

3. - Top - End - #273
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Snip
    Another highly enjoyable story. I liked the mystery, and appreciated the subtlety of the faith elements - much more intriguing than having a god say "do this" in a loud voice.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    First one done!
    I enjoyed writing this one... It's funny you had a Bladesinger... I was just posting about a friend who played an Elven Bladesinger in 2nd Edition.
    Since you didn't know if you wanted to go Sun Elf or Moon Elf, I went with Sun Elf... mostly because that provided me more of a challenge.
    Moon Elves apparently tend to be the more Common Elf... So I wanted to challenge myself.
    If in the end you want to go Moon Elf, let me know, and with some tweaks I can rewrite it.
    Hopefully you enjoy!
    Please, as always, leave feedback!
    ================================================
    The Children of Corellon; that’s what we called ourselves.

Long ago, during an event called The Retreat, where there had been a mass migration of Elves from Faerűn to Evermeet, leaving many of the woodlands defenseless. Elves created Green Warders which were living bushes, specifically designed to guard the secrets and tombs of the Elves, and not to shed blood. But the Elves knew that there were those that would burn down the woods to learn the Secret of the Elves, especially since the land was being left defenseless, so Elves trained and became Bladesingers, learning the art of war and magic, woven together. The Bladesingers were the second line of defense in the event anything tried to get passed the docile Green Warders.

One of those families that remained behind was the Haladar.

My family.

When the Elves returned to Faerűn, those who had stayed behind to fight the onslaught of Orcs and other such enemies that rose in power were rewarded with status. For generations the Haladar trained at becoming Bladesingers, most often in the Cat Family – using swords to employ as a part of our abilities in both melee and arcane. It required learning to make the weapon an extension of who you are, as well as using it to weave spells, and become the focus of everything you do, granting you supernatural speed, agility and focus.

When I was fifteen years old, I felt the rebellious streak to do the opposite of what my father told me at every turn. One of those things was to avoid going to avoid The Ruins of Navashar. Legend had it that the Ruins were haunted and marked with great sadness. The origin of the Ruins was a mystery upon itself as not even the Elders were aware who lived in the Ruins that sat at the southern end of the woods. I had convinced my best friend, Bryne Thorncoat, to come with me to the Ruins of Navashar. It was a week trek, a week of our parents not knowing where we had gone. We’d teach them to miss us and show them that we were more important than all of their political meetings they insisted on having about “the world beyond the woods.”

When the Ruins of Navashar came into view; the sight alone was unnerving. The Ruins sat on top of a hill, in the middle of a massive clearing. There were no woods, no grass, no birds, no rabbits, and no signs of life. Stepping into the clearing, I couldn’t tell if it was my imagination that was getting to me, or just the general grip of fear clutching at my heart.

Each step into the clearing felt as if invisible hands were pushing us backwards, and my heart, mind and soul all wanted to let it happen. Instead we continued forward until Bryne put his hand on my shoulder, “Berrian, I think this is a bad idea. There’s something unnatural here.”

“Don’t worry,” I said, pushing down my own fear, and notion of accepting Bryne’s words and running for my life. “We will be fine. Whatever is here is not real. Rumors. Stories.”

“I can feel it,” Bryne persisted. Bryne came from a long family of Priests, all of whom were greatly appreciated. Like me, there was an unusual burden placed on us to follow our parents and be exact copies of them, like generations before them, rather than be individuals.

It felt like it took an hour to move sixty feet, neither of us had the courage to climb the hill and get closer to the ruins, so we made a camp at the base of the hill with the intent to examine the Ruins in daylight – where we could see everything more clearly.

I awoke to a shivering sensation. I pulled my blankets tightly around me, but nothing seemed to stop the chill of the cold that seemed ready to shatter my bones. I opened one of my eyes just barely to see if it had snowed or something and saw Bryne sitting straight up.

“Bryne?” I asked, as I slowly pulled myself up. Then I saw he was staring at the tent’s entrance. There was, from what I could tell, fighting the fuzz in my eyes, a woman there. Her tattered dress fluttered in the chilly night. “My lady?” I asked, I tilted the lantern towards her and let out a gasp. Her face was white and colorless, her eyes were deep, soulless sockets, her mouth agape, her once, long golden locks of hair swaying in the wind, her Elven ears torn and tattered. She unleashed a wail like I’ve never heard before that frightened me so much I dropped the lantern and scrambled out of the tent, running blindly. I couldn’t tell if I ran for hours or days but when I finally stopped I collapsed to the ground drained of breath and feeling as if I had been drained of life itself. “Bryne…” I called out before lapsing into unconsciousness.

When I awoke I don’t know how much time had passed, but my stomach was furiously hungry. I looked all around for Bryne, but there was no sign of him. Fearfully I made my way back to the Ruins of Navashar and reached the edge of the clearing. I could still see our tent, partially burned, at the base of the hill. I tried to see if Bryne was there, perhaps looking for me, but again, there was no sign. Daylight granted me some courage to move closer, but just as before, as soon as I stepped into the clearing, my heart felt as if it were being squeezed. I finally reached the tent and opened the flap.

My heart broke.

Bryne was sitting there, the same position I had seen him the night I awoke. A look of horror forever etched on his face. His body still had color but his soul… his soul was gone. I placed my hands over his eyes and closed them.

I let out a million tears, and never stopped crying, as I took him and placed him over my shoulder, and for one week, carried him back home, where I had to give the tragic news of his death.

From that day on my shame never left me. I trained relentlessly with my father to become a Bladesinger. Perhaps had I taken the time to be like my father, to be a warrior, a fighter, versed in magic and melee, I could have saved Byrne’s life. I could have done something. I could have made a difference. And Byrne would still be here, rather than his parents, his sister, and his two brothers, mourning a terrible, needless loss. I could hear his voice, telling me that we should go back. That he sensed something.

No one knew where the Ruins of Navashar had come from. They all knew to simply leave it. One day, I told my father, I want to travel to the world beyond the woods. I want to find out the origin of the Ruins of Navashar. I wanted to put an end to whatever curse was there, even if that meant associating with outsiders.

They would recognize me as a Bladesinger. They would see I was a Sun Elf. They would know who I am and help me.

After all, I am a Child of Corellon; at least, that’s what I tell myself.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the second time someone has asked me to write a Ghostwise Halfling... they're interesting because they're so reclusive...
    So finding a reason to adventure to "the land beyond the woods" always, to me, has to be a strong, compelling reason...
    And being a Druid... naturally, the use of Treants (if you've seen me and Druids on here, Treants are a thing I enjoy using)...
    So a Treant becomes a reason to go out and adventure...
    Side note, look at the Treant's name when you get there - and reverse it. Had some fun with that.
    As always, please give me any and all feedback! What you like, what you loved, what you thought was all right, and what you hated!
    Enjoy!
    ========================================
    The Emerald Enclave was always thought to be composed of druids, because of the emblem.

Truth be told, the Emerald Enclave was one of the few organizations that care about the world in general. In times of distress, one might see Druids fighting alongside Northland Barbarians, to help defend a town from a band of Marauding Ogres.

As a Ghostwise Halfling, I, like the others of my Clan, are reclusive. We rarely ventured beyond the Chondalwood Forest, but quite a few of us were members of the Emerald Enclave. This called on us to leave Chondalwood Forest from time to time, to assist nearby towns against those who seek to do harm to the Balance.

The most common threat however, was from humans, who continued to try and encroach on our land. Many of them were loggers or poachers, tearing down the woods and killing exotic animals that found sanctuary in the Chondalwood Forest.

As I stare into the eyes of a human being choked by murder-vines after he had murdered a young fawn for the sheer sport of it, I wonder how far I would go to preserve the balance. His face turning blue, I simply continued to callously stare into his eyes. “I am going to watch you die,” I hissed in his ear. “The fawn never knew you were there. You killed her when she was still young. She never had a chance to survive. And for what? Sport? There’s no meat on her bones to use as food. Her fur is too small to use to skin.” The human’s eyes begin to roll back, his tongue swollen and lisping to one side of his mouth. He is mere moments from death when I snap my fingers and the murder-vines release their hold. He’s left on the ground choking and gasping for breath. I draw my dagger and slice it across his face, truth be told, I don’t even care if I cut out his eye. If it happens, that’s just extra pleasure. “I’ve marked you,” I continued to growl, “And if I see you anywhere – and I mean anywhere – near these woods again, they will be feasting on your bones.” Behind me, three hungry wolves growled, their thirst expression reflected in his fear-filled eyes.

The human got up and began running towards the exit of the woods when he was suddenly snatched up by a tree and had his back snapped and then thrown out onto the path, discarded like a broken toy.

“Toorg,” I sigh, “if you kill the humans how are they supposed to pass the message not to come in the woods anymore?”

Toorg, one of the younger Treants of Chondalwood Forest slowly turned to face me. “If they think,” his voice creaked like an old wooden stair, “the woods are haunted they won’t come in here. I thought someone who is a Ghost,” he emphasized, “wise, would understand that.” The treant scooped up the slain baby fawn, “Tynealla did not deserve this death. She was young.”

I itched my head, “You’re right, she did not deserve that death. And while the human’s actions were indeed brutal and uncalled for, if we had let him live, he could have warned others to not come here. Now someone on a wagon will eventually come down that road and find him dead. They may send in a search party looking for what killed him.”

“Then we kill them too,” Toorg seemed to smile.

“Why are you so bloodthirsty lately?” I asked as I walked towards him. “These last few weeks you have been acting strangely. For that matter, many of the Treants have. Your kind has been bickering with the Druidic Order that we’ve been too passive and that the world beyond the woods grows ever more violent and that we must meet them with the same violence.”

“As a druid, do you not care about the Balance,” Toorg asked.

“More than anything,” I replied.

“If the world outside becomes more violent, so must we,” he said as his roots began digging a grave for Tynealla.

“I don’t think that’s how the Balance works,” I answered, placing my hands on my hips. “If we become just as violent as they do we are not better than them. As they get more violent, if we do, they will also meet and surpass our violence, which in your theory means we need to get more violent as well.”

“The Balance,” he said matter-of-factly.

On the next full moon, the Order gathered in the Grove of Silversprings.

There was the typical bickering between Druids about territory and actions to be taken, and I waited, patiently I might add, for a break in the discussion before I asked, “Has anyone else notice that the Treants are behaving strangely?”

Spur Twostep, a Satyr Druid, looked over at me. “What do you mean… strangely?”

“They’re all bloodthirsty,” I replied. “I thought it was just one or two – but even a young Treant I’ve known all of my life has become increasingly violent. Two weeks ago he snapped a human’s spine in half and threw him out on the traveled path as ‘a warning sign’ to others. I’ve seen other Treants behaving in similar ways. They’ve spilled more blood in these woods than any human has in the last six months. Something has changed in these woods. I have not been able to figure it out, but I believe there’s an infection of some kind.”

There was rumbling among the others, and finally, Tor Delaron stepped up, “I’ve noticed the same behavior.” After him, it was like a landslide. Everyone began to confess their concerns over the Treants and their behavior. It wasn’t until the next Full Moon when we gathered together again, that we all concluded, there was nothing we could find that was causing this.

The Ghostwise are not the type to go to the world beyond the woods; but enduring another month of Toorg’s violence was more than enough to weigh my heart down so much that I told my family first, before telling my Order, that I wanted to go to the land beyond the woods… I wanted to see if there was information out there, someone who might know what’s happening… and how to restore Balance in my homeland once again…

Both are Awesome! One small critique would be on an Elf's age, then tend to age slower than humans and started adventuring around 90 years of age at the youngest. Well at least in previous editions that is. But completely amazing.

I have two more if you're still interested, I hope you'll have fun with them, I think you'll like.

1st
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Carmyar Aldaron
    Race: Moon Elf
    Class: Fighter
    Background: City guard
    Personality: I am kind to the innocent and I hate bullies. I care for my friends and doing what is right.
    Ideals: The weak must be guarded. The light must be protected against the dark. There is beauty in all things in life. My first thought is usually the right one, regardless of what anyone else thinks.
    Bonds: My sister is everything to me.
    Flaws:. I'm quick to make decisions and can be uncharacteristic of an Elf and I don't like to take long to thing about things.
    Notes: His best friend growing up was his sister Sylfiel. He went to train in melee combat and chose to serve in the city guard of Silverymoon, against his parents' wishes. He and his sister are the youngest siblings out of four children. A large family by Elf standards. He can be brash at times and weilds a Greatsword, not a typical Elf weapon.

2nd
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Sylfel Aldaron
    Class: Wild Magic Sorcerress
    Background: Noble
    Personality: I love to explore new things. I am curious about all things in life and magic. I am slow to start talking, but once I do I am the life of the party.
    Ideals: You must enjoy life in order to fully experience it.
    Bonds: My brother Carmyar is my life.
    Flaws:. I can't resist understanding something magical
    Notes: She was studying arcane magic in Silverymoon, but a magical accident happened when her wild magic manifested. She was spirited away by her twin brother immediately after the accident and now they adventure together.

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by Falcos View Post
    Alright, got a bit of an exotic one for you this time:
    An Aetherborn (extremely short-lived creature made by an accident of magic, from Plane Shift: Kaladesh) that was accidentally pulled into the world by a Planar Ranger, now is a Celestial Warlock. I want to really encapsulate their racial hedonism, short-lived aspect, and find a good patron for them, I was thinking something phoenix-thematic. Do you think you can help with this one? If it's too exotic, that's alright. Continue being your wonderful self. :)
    Knowing NOTHING about Magic The Gathering, or the Aetherborn, or their entire world and how it was all set up...
    Made this one of the most challenging ones to date. The PDF you linked was VERY useful; and I borrowed from things said in there to put it into the story (not only for myself) but for anyone else who might not be familiar. I wanted to explain that world (for as much as I managed to understand it from the PDF). I didn't start my "Writing Clock" until I finished reading the PDF to begin writing this background.
    That said, because it was SUCH a challenge, I really, really loved doing it. I wanted to see if I could write something I was COMPLETELY unfamiliar with and make it ... make sense!
    And then being able to do a little nod to some other backgrounds (Bar'garius)... AND find a way to tie in a PHOENIX ... AND explain how you become a Celestial Warlock...
    It was a rough journey not knowing what I was writing and wondering if it was going to come out...
    But I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy it, and actually, kind of like how it came out...
    Hope it works for you - please be honest if you don't like it! I'd love constructive criticism if that's the case!
    Or if you like it - please tell me too!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== ====
    When all you are given in this thing called “life” is a fleeting moment, there is no time to worry about the past or even the future. The past has already happened and cannot be changed while the future may not exist beyond this moment; the present; the now.

I am what they call Aetherborn; alive, for lack of a better word, due to the Aether refinement process. If you find yourself asking what Aether is, allow me to elaborate. Aether is a form of volatile magical energy that fills the space between the various planes of existence; seeping its way into where I was born, Kaladesh.

An inventor by the name of Avaati Vya developed a way to refine this chaotic energy called Aether into a form of very potent and safe fuel.

One day I did not exist then the next moment, I did and immediately could sense my own self being torn apart; the Aether that composed my body disintegrating to return back to the heavens and repeat the cycle of being refined once more. Though we possess humanoid characteristics; we do not need to eat, sleep, and have no sexual characteristics.

Now, because I said we do not eat, sleep or have any sexual characteristics, does not mean we don’t enjoy them. Our lives as I said are fleetingly short but rather than be sad about it, we tend to find as much enjoyment as we can out of every second of every moment.

I just happen to be returning from one of those moments of hedonism; a local brothel run by the Renegades (but make no mistake, gets plenty of visits from Consulates). It was here where I enjoyed the restless company of both male and females, since I have no gender of my own; I simply embrace the pleasure brought by both. Part of that hedonism is the “drug” called Bio-Aether. It’s essentially what Avaati Vya did to make Aether fuel, but more compressed; and when released, deeply inhaled which heightens the body’s sensitivity to everything where even the most gentle whisper was sheer ecstasy throughout the entire body.

I was cutting through the same alleyway I always did when someone collided into me just as I rounded the corner, sending me flying backwards.

I remember falling.

And falling.

And falling.

Then the impact of ground.

Hot, coarse sand.

How? I was in the middle of the city? There was no sand for miles?

That was my thought just before the wind was knocked out of me, or the equivalent for an Aetherborn and I lost consciousness.

I opened my eyes and gasped as I sat up. Nothing looked familiar. As I slowly lifted myself to my feet and tried to get my barring I began to notice the sky looked vastly different; even the air – the air itself tasted different. I looked at my hands and waited to see… waited… waited… The energy… the Aether… it wasn’t seeping off of me. I looked around again, more confused than ever.

My state of mind had been in a drastically altered state from the Bio-Aether drug I had inhaled; tracing my memory back was nearly impossible. I sat on the hot ground, in the middle of this barren wasteland and tried to find myself. I peered inside of my mind, moving through the mist and haze; the bodies tangled together, the passion, the contact, the experience; I moved forward, down the stairs, walking; hood over my head, covering my eyes; I kept walking; walking; the alleyway, the gear-cat; kept walking, rounded the corner; a man, dressed in green leathers, a sword in his hand, shouted a name, “Bar’garius!” Then there was a flash of light behind me; a portal? The man collided into me; sending us both falling.

I wandered for days, watching the searing sun rise and set. I couldn’t tell if I was walking in circles in this wasteland; at times I could have sworn I was walking over my own tracks from just hours ago. Everything about this place was distorting and confusing. Wandering aimlessly was nothing short of Hades, when all I knew was constant pleasure. I was wasting precious moments of my life.

I do not need to eat or drink but the sun’s relentless heat can have a bearing on my mental stability. I say that because suddenly the sun moved out of the sky and began to speak to me.

“You are not from this Plane,” the voice said, the sphere of fire spinning in circles in front of me.

“Where am I,” I asked the sun.

“You are on Faerűn, Stranger in a Strangerland,” the fiery sun replied. “Where do you hail from, stranger?”

“I am from Kaladesh, from a town just outside of Ghirapur,” I replied.

“I sense that before you came here you were dying,” the sun noted aloud.

“I was,” I confessed, “but that is the way of the Aetherborn. Our lives are short.”

“And now, cut from your world, that which had made you, and had been killing you, has been cut,” the mysterious sun observed.

“It would seem so,” I nodded.

“You were reborn,” the sun seemed amused, “in fire.” The sun suddenly burst and took the form of an enormous fiery bird in the sky. “I am a Phoenix. I symbolize Rebirth, such as what you have experienced. It would seem, at one time, you were forged in this Aether that I sense at the edge of your mind; a form of magic that birthed you and began destroying you. What if I offered to bind you to my magic, where you would not wither, but rather, continue to be strengthened and reborn anew here in Faerűn?”

“At what price to me,” I asked.

“Only that you will bind your magic with mine, and become my weapon on this mortal plane,” the Phoenix replied.

The fiery bird continued to watch me as I pondered this before sighing, “I accept your offer.”

The Phoenix changed into a massive arrow and seemed to pierce my body, once again, sending me into blackness. When I awoke, I was on the edge of the desert wasteland, near a wonderful lake. Apparently, for having touched the corner of my mind, the Phoenix did not realize I do not need water. However, bathing in the cool, refreshing spring felt nice.

As I dried myself off, I could feel it in my body; it was energized with energy and magic like I’d never felt before.

I had been… reborn.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    Your PM folder is full.
    Yeah, it's all the PM's I send to people to let them know their background is done and a link to it.
    I asked about mailbox increase here and one of the administrators said it was a good idea... but wasn't sure of the impact on resources.

Dragonborn (m) Vengeance Paladin of Bahamut. (Self)Convinced that Tiamat and her Spawn must be destroyed....
    Hah! So I don't make an error like I did with the Kobold Dragonwrought - what color of Dragonborn are we talking here?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaryn View Post
    Another highly enjoyable story. I liked the mystery, and appreciated the subtlety of the faith elements - much more intriguing than having a god say "do this" in a loud voice.
    Thank you! Yeah, I've used the "Thou God Hath Spoken! Thou Shalt Do It!" too many times myself; this time, with the character being such a "home body" - I thought something like that would be too over the top for the character. I wanted this to be the character's choice; as a sign of growth for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by AH0098 View Post
    Both are Awesome! One small critique would be on an Elf's age, then tend to age slower than humans and started adventuring around 90 years of age at the youngest. Well at least in previous editions that is. But completely amazing.
    URK! I do need to make that more clear. So out of habit, I always write from the perspective of "human age" when I write someone's background - especially when dealing with Elves (and even Dwarves). Because I've seen their "ages" vary - you have Tolkien elves who live for THOUSANDS of years (Elrond was something like 6,000 years old), then you have some where Elves at 500 are old; some where 200 is old... so I tend to write the "years" of a character in human years, so the person can change the years according to how it fits their campaign. I should have made that clear somewhere.

I have two more if you're still interested, I hope you'll have fun with them, I think you'll like.
    Consider them added to the list!
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-08-02 at 12:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I absolutely love it, but do you mind if I ask for one modification to it?

I like the Aetherborn being on a sharp time limit, and that aspect not being removed by my patron. Should I just chop those lines out, or do you think it befits the story better to rewrite that aspect to something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    I have one PC in my campaign who constantly tries to force his enemies to yield (by shrieking "JUSTICE!" in a high-pitched shrill voice, since he's a freaking Tiny-size fairy cleric of St. Cuthbert).
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    We're horrible people and are waiting for you to let your guard down before we pounce and feast upon your flesh.
    My friend's Sun-Themed Discipline! PEACH!

My Ice-Themed Martial Discipline! Also PEACH!

8. - Top - End - #278

I absolutely love it, but do you mind if I ask for one modification to it?
    I like the Aetherborn being on a sharp time limit, and that aspect not being removed by my patron. Should I just chop those lines out, or do you think it befits the story better to rewrite that aspect to something?
    This is your character! Do what you want! I was just thinking of "extending" the short life, because if you're playing D&D with this as a character... (granted every adventurer's life is potentially cut short), but you're on a ticking time bomb limit - just by "breathing." (Again, as Iron Maiden once said; as soon as we're born we're dying... But you know what I mean!) Aging quickly to your demise might be rough since you might only get a few sessions in (since from what I read, they can live a few months or a few years!)

That said, you can always make a small change to the end like:
    ===========================================

“You were reborn,” the sun seemed amused, “in fire.” The sun suddenly burst and took the form of an enormous fiery bird in the sky. “I am a Phoenix. I symbolize Rebirth, such as what you have experienced. It would seem, at one time, you were forged in this Aether that I sense at the edge of your mind; a form of magic that birthed you and began destroying you. What if I offered to bind you to my magic, I can not stop you from withering away; but I may be able to grant you a rebirth when the time comes...”

“At what price to me,” I asked.

“Only that you will bind your magic with mine, and become my weapon on this mortal plane,” the Phoenix replied.

The fiery bird continued to watch me as I pondered this before sighing, “I accept your offer.”

The Phoenix changed into a massive arrow and seemed to pierce my body, once again, sending me into blackness. When I awoke, I was on the edge of the desert wasteland, near a wonderful lake. Apparently, for having touched the corner of my mind, the Phoenix did not realize I do not need water. However, bathing in the cool, refreshing spring felt nice.

As I dried myself off, I could feel it in my body; it was energized with energy and magic like I’d never felt before.

I was already reborn into something new... something different... and wondered what pleasures I might experience in this new place... before my time was done.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-08-02 at 02:06 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Excellent, beautiful, I love it.

Thank you for branching out and doing something slightly more exotic. :)

I will give you a reprieve from my constant character stream now, but rest assured, I have more waiting in the wings once other people have had more of a chance to partake of your services. :)
    I have one PC in my campaign who constantly tries to force his enemies to yield (by shrieking "JUSTICE!" in a high-pitched shrill voice, since he's a freaking Tiny-size fairy cleric of St. Cuthbert).
    We're horrible people and are waiting for you to let your guard down before we pounce and feast upon your flesh.

10. - Top - End - #280

Excellent, beautiful, I love it.
    Thank you for branching out and doing something slightly more exotic. :)
    I will give you a reprieve from my constant character stream now, but rest assured, I have more waiting in the wings once other people have had more of a chance to partake of your services. :)
    I enjoyed the challenge of writing an unknown for me! Thank you for allowing me to spread my wings!
    And by all means, throw down some more characters!
    (It might Sunday before I get to the next batch because this Saturday I am DMing my game! So ill prepared for it...!)

11. - Top - End - #281

I was telling someone else I know (on another forum) about this thread...
    And I've been posting what I write on here over to the other forum to share there... And they challenged me to one, that I figured I'd share here.
    One thing some here may not know is, I am personally close to the whole support Down Syndrome.
    A very, very, good friend of mine had a son who was born with Down Syndrome, and they're such remarkable parents.
    He's not always easy to deal with but they never, ever, ever, ever stop loving him.
    He means so much to them, and so much to me.
    I am (or have been for several years now) writing a story that I am dedicating to him.
    Anyway, this friend on the other forum made a Paladin with 5 INT...
    And I took this chance to basically write up a character with a mental disability and how he over comes it...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Not So Brilliant Paladin
    My character's name is Bob the Not-So-Brilliant Paladin. :P He's a 1st-level Paladin (duh), and his stats:

STR 16
    DEX 10
    CON 12
    WIS 11
    INT 5
    CHA 18

He's a human (yes, boring).
    I'm not sure what god he should worship ... Helm, perhaps? Llathandir?
    I'm not sure if this guy is coming across a joke character. Is he? *worried*
    That said... I took it as a serious character write up... and took some opportunities to make a message out of it...
    There's an (easy?) reference somewhere to C.S. Lewis if you look closely enough early on...
    That said, enjoy!
    ===================================

Life had not been easy for the Parentore family.

By no stretch of the imagination were they a rich family; but they had always managed to get by financially. Once a wealthy family, when Elleena discovered she was pregnant, she and her husband Kip sold their belongings and gathered all of their money and set sail aboard The Dawn Runner for Waterdeep in hopes of providing their son a better life where he could get an education that would teach him more than just being the next generation of farmers in the Parentore family tree.

The first complication came when while aboard the Dawn Runner, Elleena suddenly and unexpectedly went into labor two months sooner than she should have. Though the birth had been touch and go throughout the two nights she was in labor, she eventually gave birth to a young boy.

Neither Elleena nor her husband, Kip, had sat down to really think of a name, believing they still had two more months to decide on names for a boy or a girl. They though that they would be settled in Waterdeep thinking about this; but Waterdeep was still one week’s travel away.

The Captain of the Dawn Runner explained that he had seen many women (often with men) who had given birth aboard his ship, because they were fleeing from families that did not support their love, and that it was common, when no name was given to simply call the child “Bob” which stood for “Born on Boat.”

Their ill fortune did not stop with Bob’s early birth; just one day before arriving in Waterdeep, a violent and unexpected storm caught the Dawn Runner by surprise, nearly sinking the ship. Several crew members were lost overboard, but none of the passengers perished. Sadly, a large assortment of possessions, including the money the Parentore had stored in a chest, had washed away with the hull had been breached.

Upon arriving in Waterdeep a week later, neither Kip nor Elleena had come up with another name for their son; and after a week of calling him Bob, simply accepted that as his name, after all Bob Parentore had a ring to it.

However, by the age of five, it became very clear that Bob had a learning disability. He could not retain information he was told for very long and soon other children began to tease him. One of the worst offenders was Rhick Greybird. Rhick had a small group of other boys who followed him because he was the loudest, roughest and toughest kid, not only at school but that section of the Southern Ward in Waterdeep. Rhick had pushed; beaten up; and stolen from Bob, who was too timid to fight back. Whenever Bob went home he could not look his parents in the eyes, because he had come home – yet again – with more bruises.

One day, while walking home from school, having just endured another humiliating day at the hands of Rhick, an old man sitting on a bench called out to him. Bob kept walking, but the old man called out to him again; this time louder. The unusual looking old man with platinum colored eyes and hair had what appeared to be several canaries fluttering around him.

“It’s rough, isn’t it,” the old man said, “having them,” he gestured with a jab of his thumb in the direction of Rhick and the others, “think you’re stupid?”

Bob halted in his tracks and looked at the old man, tears brimming in his eyes, his soul so full of endless shame and embarrassment.

“What if I told you, I could help you?” the old man smiled broadly.

“You’re old,” Bob said, matter-of-factly.

“I am,” the old man confirmed with a chuckle, “which means I’ve been around the world; seen lots of things. Things I could teach you.”

Bob seemed dubious but approached the man. “Like what?”

“I could teach you to fight back,” the old man poked Bob with his wooden staff in the chest. “I can teach you to not be afraid.”

Bob seemed more dubious than before. The old man laughed, “Why does everyone always look at me like that when I say that? Well then, let’s do this. Hit me.”

Bob blinked and looked at the old man.

“Go on now,” the old man encouraged him, “I said hit me.”

“I don’t want to hit an old man,” Bob said politely.

“That’s the problem,” the old man smiled, “you think you’re going to hit me. Try it.”

Bob set down his bag, which Rhick had pilfered through to get anything of value. “Here I go,” he said, warning the old man.

“Wait,” the old man shook his head. “Do I look like I need a warning? Just hit me when you’re ready. Don’t tell me you’re about to hit me. You’re not going to tell your enemies when you’re about to hit them. Just do it.”

Bob waited a few seconds then swung; only to have the old man catch his punch. Not only had the old man caught his punch with amazing speed; he was holding it. Despite the old man’s frail, thin, worn body, he was remarkably strong. He released Bob’s hand.

“You’re strong,” Bob commented.

“So are you,” the old man nodded, squeezing Bob’s arms. “You just don’t know it. I can show you.”

Bob frowned for a moment, ready to walk away but he halted. “Ok,” he finally said, picked up his bag and left.

For several weeks, after getting beat up by Rhick and his friends, Bob met the old man at the same bench where the old man continued to force Bob to try and punch him; even turning his back on Bob, blindfolding himself, and lying prone on the ground. Each and every time he caught Bob’s fist effortlessly.

“I can’t hit you,” Bob finally wheezed one day, “I am useless.”

“No,” the old man tapped Bob on the shoulder with his staff, “what I am showing you is despite the fact that I am old, and in positions where I appear weak, because I know how to fight, I do not let any disability or impaired condition stop me. This is what you must learn.” The old man reached behind the park bench and threw a wooden sword at Bob.

“Now for part two,” the old man smiled.

Bob went home that day with new bruises; but these were bruises he proudly wore. The old man had beaten him, using only his staff, every time Bob tried to hit him with the sword; but Bob could feel his body responding to all of this training.

Then the day came when Rhick had tried to hit Bob across the face as he had done every day for the last two years; when Bob suddenly extended his hand and caught Rhick’s fist. Bob kept his hand locked on Rhick’s, who desperately tried to pull away after recovering from being shocked. Bob’s eyes slowly looked up and locked with Rhick’s as Bob whispered, “Never again.” When Bob released Rhick’s hand, Rhick saw that his friends and others from the school were watching and that he would need to redeem himself quickly if he wanted to maintain the school bully reputation. He immediately swung at Bob who quickly ducked under Rhick’s clumsy fist, and brought his own fist directly into Rhick’s throat, forcing Rhick to grasp his throat as he fell to the floor choking for air. Bob leaned over and whispered, “Breathe in, breathe out; nice and slow. You’ll be all right.”

Rhick had learned his lesson and found a new target the following week; a young girl name Shelah. When Rhick began roughing her up, Bob stepped between them and said, “You touch anyone ever again, I will punish you. I have been forgiving up until now. But you will no longer know my mercy.”

Once again, Rhick in order to maintain his reputation took another swing at Bob. Yet again, Bob dodged, punched Rhick in the throat. When Rhick doubled over, Bob brought his knee up to Rhick’s face and shattered his nose on his knee, spraying blood.

Bob kneeled down and smiled, “Do you understand me now? Never again.”

Rhick held his nose, his voice muffled, “I understand,” he cried, spitting out blood and a few teeth.

The Old Man had been watching and smiled.

He approached Bob and patted him on the back. “Take this parchment,” he handed a scroll to Bob that had a wax seal of a dragon, “to the Order of Bahamut. It is a letter of recommendation from me for you to join the order. You are kind and merciful; you are just and stand up for the weak. You have surpassed your own disabilities and come to be a new person. You would do Bahamut proud, I suspect.”

Bob returned home proudly telling his parents that he had accepted a position in the Order of Bahamut, a division known as The Wings of Justice. He explained that he would squire with a Paladin of the Order first and learn from them; but that the letter of recommendation had also mentioned moving into the North Ward!”

The North Ward was where the Nobility lived.

Life for the Parentore family was about to become very, very different…

===========================
    If it's not clear who the old man is... it should be...
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Bahamut
    When Bahamut assumed the form of the old man, he was usually accompanied by seven gold great wyrms polymorphed into canaries...
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-08-02 at 02:47 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Alright then!

-throws down a gauntlet-

Sun-worshipping conquistador Vampire from a different Plane Shift book, this time, https://media.wizards.com/2018/downl...ift_ixalan.pdf

These vampires are not vulnerable to sunlight, and are colonizing various new landmasses for the glory of Torrezon and the Legion of Dusk.

Mine is a Bard, the one who drums the marching beat for the soldiers.

And they might have accidentally found themself in a different setting altogether.

Very much a colonial mindset, "We are in the right", etc.

13. - Top - End - #283

BlackDragon

Yeah, it's all the PM's I send to people to let them know their background is done and a link to it.
    One thing I try to do (now) is, go through and delete anything old, or that has not been responded to.
    Making sure I save any important information or Plot Ideas.

Hah! So I don't make an error like I did with the Kobold Dragonwrought - what color of Dragonborn are we talking here?
    Opps. Forgot that. Sorry.
    Bronze.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

So, my character just died. So I'm bringing in a new one:
    Warforged envoy
    Cleric of the forge domain
    Worshipper of moradin, God of dwarves and the forge
    Name: powerhammer
    This wardrobes fights with a war hammer and a shield, and carries a pyroconverger, basically a flamethrower.
    Moradin is the creator of dwarven kind, just about all dwarves worship him, as he crafted them from stone with his own hands. Powerhammer was made by the dwarves, specifically, the holy crafters of moradin, the most referred of all dwarven smiths. The dwarves consider him to be the natural progression of life, moradin made them from stone, and they have now made power hammer from stone. Moradin himself is immensely proud of both his people for their work, and of the warforged they made.
    So, powerhammer is pretty robotic, but still sentient, but he does follow "prime directives" and a strict code set by moradin.
    His prime directive is to protect what is good, defend what is right, destroy evil, and create beauty. Oh, and to protect the religion at all costs.
    He's considered a dwarf by all dwarvish people, he was made in a dwarven forge, brought to life by dwarves, and follows their god. He's a dwarf in their eyes.
    Also, among his prime directive, installed by the dwarves, is a secret directive given by Moradin upon his indoctrination into the church:
    While others forge steel or gold, powerhammer is to forge something greater. While others temper blades and strengthen walls, he is to temper life. His directive from moradin is this: to find people who are strong, both in mind, body, and virtue, and temper them. He is to forge these worthy souls into blades harder than diamond, to stoke their fires of hope and faith, and make them into heros that will shine like polished armor in these dark days.

So yeah, that's my character. I know it's a lot, but I know you work best when you have detail. To give you some info about our game, we're currently running from a large horde of demons, undead, and dead friends brought back in a crude semblance of life to kill us. We've so far lost 4 pcs, 3 died in game, one died so someone could switch characters. The only three surviving original party members are pissed and want revenge. So, that's the darkness were facing right now. If this is too much for you, or you don't like all the info, then don't bother with it, thanks regardless!

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    So, my character just died. So I'm bringing in a new one:
    Warforged envoy
    Cleric of the forge domain
    Worshipper of moradin, God of dwarves and the forge
    Name: powerhammer
    This wardrobes fights with a war hammer and a shield, and carries a pyroconverger, basically a flamethrower.
    Moradin is the creator of dwarven kind, just about all dwarves worship him, as he crafted them from stone with his own hands. Powerhammer was made by the dwarves, specifically, the holy crafters of moradin, the most referred of all dwarven smiths. The dwarves consider him to be the natural progression of life, moradin made them from stone, and they have now made power hammer from stone. Moradin himself is immensely proud of both his people for their work, and of the warforged they made.
    So, powerhammer is pretty robotic, but still sentient, but he does follow "prime directives" and a strict code set by moradin.
    His prime directive is to protect what is good, defend what is right, destroy evil, and create beauty. Oh, and to protect the religion at all costs.
    He's considered a dwarf by all dwarvish people, he was made in a dwarven forge, brought to life by dwarves, and follows their god. He's a dwarf in their eyes.
    Also, among his prime directive, installed by the dwarves, is a secret directive given by Moradin upon his indoctrination into the church:
    While others forge steel or gold, powerhammer is to forge something greater. While others temper blades and strengthen walls, he is to temper life. His directive from moradin is this: to find people who are strong, both in mind, body, and virtue, and temper them. He is to forge these worthy souls into blades harder than diamond, to stoke their fires of hope and faith, and make them into heros that will shine like polished armor in these dark days.

So yeah, that's my character. I know it's a lot, but I know you work best when you have detail. To give you some info about our game, we're currently running from a large horde of demons, undead, and dead friends brought back in a crude semblance of life to kill us. We've so far lost 4 pcs, 3 died in game, one died so someone could switch characters. The only three surviving original party members are pissed and want revenge. So, that's the darkness were facing right now. If this is too much for you, or you don't like all the info, then don't bother with it, thanks regardless!
    First, sorry to hear that your other character perished. Sounds like a Hellish campaign (no pun originally intended!)...
    Consider this one added to the list. I have a busy few days (a movie after work tonight, potentially; then D&D on Saturday, my favorite game to DM with great folks; and may be doing movie and dinner with some friends!) I will try to squeeze all of these in.

16. - Top - End - #286

(Bronze) Dragonborn (m) Vengeance Paladin of Bahamut. (Self)Convinced that Tiamat and her Spawn must be destroyed....
    So I wanted a reason why this Dragonborn was a Vengeance Paladin... to me, these are the Paladins that have seen some really horrible things.
    And since you specified Tiamat, I thought, "This is another chance to use Emereth, the Ancient Green Dragon" who has appeared in other stories.
    And then it donned on me. I had written a background that talks about Emereth attacking (and destroying) the city of "Night's Bane" here and here. I suddenly had the missing piece to those backstories; a reason why Emereth attacked Night's Bane. Expanding the ever growing "Tawmis-Verse" I have going here!
    As always, please leave feedback - good or bad - I want to hear it.
    Enjoy!
    ==============================================

Chaos. Destruction. Murder.

This is all Dourne saw before him as he gazed at the former glory of the city known as Night’s Bane. Dourne, a Paladin of Vengeance belonging to the Talons of Justice, was a Bronze Dragonborn, whose unique bronze colored scales reflected the carnage of Night Bane’s skeletal remains.

Dourne had been tracking down Emereth for months; whenever he got close, she would take flight, destroy everything in her path to slow him down; and press on twice as hard. She wasn’t running from him and Dourne knew as much. This was all a game to her. She enjoyed that a Paladin of Bahamut was “out to get her.” To her it was a pleasant game where she would let him get close; and each time he did, she proved she was not afraid by taking her time to destroy every town that was in front of her, knowing he would stop to assist those in need and simultaneously witness the sheer power she possessed.

He realized the more he chased her, the more she destroyed; but to give up now and allow her to live after all she’s done was something Doune could not do. Emereth was just one of many who served the five headed Queen, Tiamat. Emereth was an ancient Green Dragon; there were others that Dourne was aware of; Krymoore the Red, an ancient red dragon; Boltaar the Blue, an ancient blue dragon; Chakhul the Black, an ancient black dragon; and Krystaan the White, an ancient white dragon. These five were Tiamat’s most active weapons on the mortal plane.

Dourne continued riding on; but he heard people screaming and crying. Dead bodies littered the sidewalks. He tilted his head and listened closely and heard sounds coming from the nearby collapsed tower. He began pulling the rubble away and helped a human, who thanked him and introduced themselves as Mahal; and by the appearance looked to be one of the desert dwellers.

It was that moment, another voice – and by the looks of it, also a desert dweller, but more barbaric looking and wearing different symbols - asked, “What happened here?”

“Emereth,” the human replied, matter-of-factly, as if that should explain everything.

“What is a ‘Emereth’,” the barbarian, Little Sun, asked. “I was up on a vantage point and saw something enormous flying this way.”

“Emereth is not a thing,” the human named Mahal said, looking at Little Sun. It’s then Little Sun noticed what appeared to be tooth marks on the human’s right hand. “Emereth is an ancient green dragon who must pay for what she’s done.”

“I am tracking down Emereth as well,” Dourne nodded as he whistled for his war horse.

“Then perhaps our paths will cross again,” Mahal politely nodded to Dourne.

Dourne remained for three more days in Night’s Bane helping rescue those trapped beneath the rubble and providing security for the handful of survivors who now feared attacks from nearby goblins. It was another week before Dourne had picked up Emereth’s path once again. It was as if she grew tired of waiting and wreaked havoc on another city, circling above it for an additional day, until her ancient eyes spotted the all too familiar figure on horseback riding towards the destruction.

It was another year of this cat and mouse game; when suddenly Emereth came to rest on a mountain cliff side, rather than fly away as she’d usually done. She seemed to be waiting now for Dourne to scale the mountain. Dourne found a path up the mountain side and pushed his war horse, Cloudrunner, as fast and far as she could before they were forced to make a rest.

Beyond exhausted, Dourne tried to stay awake and keep an eye on Emereth who wasn’t even looking in his direction; but despite his best efforts the shadows of darkness and sleep washed over him. He awoke, with a start, to the loud beating of wings. He looked up and saw Emereth diving directly for him, her massive talons outstretched. He reached for his weapon knowing it would be too late at the speed she was flying, but then a shadow passed in front of him, and he saw Cloudrunner run between him and Emereth, and ancient green dragon’s talons wrapped around Cloudrunner who let out a painful cry as Emereth veered upward, once she was high enough, although disappointed she had not grabbed this Dragonborn, grabbing his steed would be sufficient. From the great height she released her hold on Cloudrunner and forced Dourne to watch as his terrified steed let out a scream and fell to her death upon the jagged rocks.

Emereth was pleased with the pain she’d inflicted on her pursuer and felt rejuvenated to continue the game of cat and mouse; she laughed triumphantly as she flew away again…
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-08-03 at 11:58 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

I was telling someone else I know (on another forum) about this thread...
    And I've been posting what I write on here over to the other forum to share there... And they challenged me to one, that I figured I'd share here.
    One thing some here may not know is, I am personally close to the whole support Down Syndrome.
    A very, very, good friend of mine had a son who was born with Down Syndrome, and they're such remarkable parents.
    He's not always easy to deal with but they never, ever, ever, ever stop loving him.
    He means so much to them, and so much to me.
    I am (or have been for several years now) writing a story that I am dedicating to him.
    Anyway, this friend on the other forum made a Paladin with 5 INT...
    And I took this chance to basically write up a character with a mental disability and how he over comes it...

That said... I took it as a serious character write up... and took some opportunities to make a message out of it...
    There's an (easy?) reference somewhere to C.S. Lewis if you look closely enough early on...
    That said, enjoy!
    ===================================

Life had not been easy for the Parentore family.

By no stretch of the imagination were they a rich family; but they had always managed to get by financially. Once a wealthy family, when Elleena discovered she was pregnant, she and her husband Kip sold their belongings and gathered all of their money and set sail aboard The Dawn Runner for Waterdeep in hopes of providing their son a better life where he could get an education that would teach him more than just being the next generation of farmers in the Parentore family tree.

The first complication came when while aboard the Dawn Runner, Elleena suddenly and unexpectedly went into labor two months sooner than she should have. Though the birth had been touch and go throughout the two nights she was in labor, she eventually gave birth to a young boy.

Neither Elleena nor her husband, Kip, had sat down to really think of a name, believing they still had two more months to decide on names for a boy or a girl. They though that they would be settled in Waterdeep thinking about this; but Waterdeep was still one week’s travel away.

The Captain of the Dawn Runner explained that he had seen many women (often with men) who had given birth aboard his ship, because they were fleeing from families that did not support their love, and that it was common, when no name was given to simply call the child “Bob” which stood for “Born on Boat.”

Their ill fortune did not stop with Bob’s early birth; just one day before arriving in Waterdeep, a violent and unexpected storm caught the Dawn Runner by surprise, nearly sinking the ship. Several crew members were lost overboard, but none of the passengers perished. Sadly, a large assortment of possessions, including the money the Parentore had stored in a chest, had washed away with the hull had been breached.

Upon arriving in Waterdeep a week later, neither Kip nor Elleena had come up with another name for their son; and after a week of calling him Bob, simply accepted that as his name, after all Bob Parentore had a ring to it.

However, by the age of five, it became very clear that Bob had a learning disability. He could not retain information he was told for very long and soon other children began to tease him. One of the worst offenders was Rhick Greybird. Rhick had a small group of other boys who followed him because he was the loudest, roughest and toughest kid, not only at school but that section of the Southern Ward in Waterdeep. Rhick had pushed; beaten up; and stolen from Bob, who was too timid to fight back. Whenever Bob went home he could not look his parents in the eyes, because he had come home – yet again – with more bruises.

One day, while walking home from school, having just endured another humiliating day at the hands of Rhick, an old man sitting on a bench called out to him. Bob kept walking, but the old man called out to him again; this time louder. The unusual looking old man with platinum colored eyes and hair had what appeared to be several canaries fluttering around him.

“It’s rough, isn’t it,” the old man said, “having them,” he gestured with a jab of his thumb in the direction of Rhick and the others, “think you’re stupid?”

Bob halted in his tracks and looked at the old man, tears brimming in his eyes, his soul so full of endless shame and embarrassment.

“What if I told you, I could help you?” the old man smiled broadly.

“You’re old,” Bob said, matter-of-factly.

“I am,” the old man confirmed with a chuckle, “which means I’ve been around the world; seen lots of things. Things I could teach you.”

Bob seemed dubious but approached the man. “Like what?”

“I could teach you to fight back,” the old man poked Bob with his wooden staff in the chest. “I can teach you to not be afraid.”

Bob seemed more dubious than before. The old man laughed, “Why does everyone always look at me like that when I say that? Well then, let’s do this. Hit me.”

Bob blinked and looked at the old man.

“Go on now,” the old man encouraged him, “I said hit me.”

“I don’t want to hit an old man,” Bob said politely.

“That’s the problem,” the old man smiled, “you think you’re going to hit me. Try it.”

Bob set down his bag, which Rhick had pilfered through to get anything of value. “Here I go,” he said, warning the old man.

“Wait,” the old man shook his head. “Do I look like I need a warning? Just hit me when you’re ready. Don’t tell me you’re about to hit me. You’re not going to tell your enemies when you’re about to hit them. Just do it.”

Bob waited a few seconds then swung; only to have the old man catch his punch. Not only had the old man caught his punch with amazing speed; he was holding it. Despite the old man’s frail, thin, worn body, he was remarkably strong. He released Bob’s hand.

“You’re strong,” Bob commented.

“So are you,” the old man nodded, squeezing Bob’s arms. “You just don’t know it. I can show you.”

Bob frowned for a moment, ready to walk away but he halted. “Ok,” he finally said, picked up his bag and left.

For several weeks, after getting beat up by Rhick and his friends, Bob met the old man at the same bench where the old man continued to force Bob to try and punch him; even turning his back on Bob, blindfolding himself, and lying prone on the ground. Each and every time he caught Bob’s fist effortlessly.

“I can’t hit you,” Bob finally wheezed one day, “I am useless.”

“No,” the old man tapped Bob on the shoulder with his staff, “what I am showing you is despite the fact that I am old, and in positions where I appear weak, because I know how to fight, I do not let any disability or impaired condition stop me. This is what you must learn.” The old man reached behind the park bench and threw a wooden sword at Bob.

“Now for part two,” the old man smiled.

Bob went home that day with new bruises; but these were bruises he proudly wore. The old man had beaten him, using only his staff, every time Bob tried to hit him with the sword; but Bob could feel his body responding to all of this training.

Then the day came when Rhick had tried to hit Bob across the face as he had done every day for the last two years; when Bob suddenly extended his hand and caught Rhick’s fist. Bob kept his hand locked on Rhick’s, who desperately tried to pull away after recovering from being shocked. Bob’s eyes slowly looked up and locked with Rhick’s as Bob whispered, “Never again.” When Bob released Rhick’s hand, Rhick saw that his friends and others from the school were watching and that he would need to redeem himself quickly if he wanted to maintain the school bully reputation. He immediately swung at Bob who quickly ducked under Rhick’s clumsy fist, and brought his own fist directly into Rhick’s throat, forcing Rhick to grasp his throat as he fell to the floor choking for air. Bob leaned over and whispered, “Breathe in, breathe out; nice and slow. You’ll be all right.”

Rhick had learned his lesson and found a new target the following week; a young girl name Shelah. When Rhick began roughing her up, Bob stepped between them and said, “You touch anyone ever again, I will punish you. I have been forgiving up until now. But you will no longer know my mercy.”

Once again, Rhick in order to maintain his reputation took another swing at Bob. Yet again, Bob dodged, punched Rhick in the throat. When Rhick doubled over, Bob brought his knee up to Rhick’s face and shattered his nose on his knee, spraying blood.

Bob kneeled down and smiled, “Do you understand me now? Never again.”

Rhick held his nose, his voice muffled, “I understand,” he cried, spitting out blood and a few teeth.

The Old Man had been watching and smiled.

He approached Bob and patted him on the back. “Take this parchment,” he handed a scroll to Bob that had a wax seal of a dragon, “to the Order of Bahamut. It is a letter of recommendation from me for you to join the order. You are kind and merciful; you are just and stand up for the weak. You have surpassed your own disabilities and come to be a new person. You would do Bahamut proud, I suspect.”

Bob returned home proudly telling his parents that he had accepted a position in the Order of Bahamut, a division known as The Wings of Justice. He explained that he would squire with a Paladin of the Order first and learn from them; but that the letter of recommendation had also mentioned moving into the North Ward!”

The North Ward was where the Nobility lived.

Life for the Parentore family was about to become very, very different…

===========================
    If it's not clear who the old man is... it should be...
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Bahamut
    When Bahamut assumed the form of the old man, he was usually accompanied by seven gold great wyrms polymorphed into canaries...

That was excellent I'd have been hesitant to use a real world condition to represent a below-average stat but I think you handled it adeptly.
    Official girltoy of O-Chul's harem. Join the harem here! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-harem-sign-up!

Haley and Therkla + Elan = Perfect

18. - Top - End - #288

BlackDragon

@Tawmis: Most excellent.
    And names for each of the Ancient Chromatic Dragons is something I could use.

I can totally see this Dragonborn realizing that he needs to seek out Allies to aid him in being able to corner and confront her.

Question: Does Emereth have Decendants?

Still hoping to see people in Character Developments.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-08-03 at 11:37 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289

@Tawmis: Most excellent.
    And names for each of the Ancient Chromatic Dragons is something I could use.
    I can totally see this Dragonborn realizing that he needs to seek out Allies to aid him in being able to corner and confront her.
    Question: Does Emereth have Decendants?
    Emereth comes from a story I wrote (based on expanding one of my D&D Character backgrounds once when I was feeling overly inspired; which at that point had been more for self creative writing rather than for the D&D campaign; I wasn't about to tell my DM, "Remember that 2 page background for my character? Well I expanded it to 50, because I really got into some headspace with Emereth...."

So, I do remember writing, that as an Adult Green Dragon (since Emereth is Ancient now), that she had two daughters.
    Emereth even went so far as to kill her mate; believing males were "toy things needed only for breeding."
    This comes from a delusional aspect that since her Queen (Tiamat) is female, and that there is no (evil) male equivalent, that clearly only females should ever "ascend."

Quote Originally Posted by Barebarian View Post
    That was excellent I'd have been hesitant to use a real world condition to represent a below-average stat but I think you handled it adeptly.
    Thank you! I basically took the core concept of the story I am writing for the kiddo who means the world to me with Down Syndrome and turned it into a fantasy based setting.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-08-03 at 09:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I should maybe point out that Mahal _serves_ Jergal, he is not _named_ Jergal. And if Jergal, the retired-death-god is in Night's Bane, I don't think the other characters hunting Emereth are needed. :P

But I do love that you're tying all of this together. Kinda makes me wish I could play a game set in your 'verse.

21. - Top - End - #291

I should maybe point out that Mahal _serves_ Jergal, he is not _named_ Jergal. And if Jergal, the retired-death-god is in Night's Bane, I don't think the other characters hunting Emereth are needed. :P
    But I do love that you're tying all of this together. Kinda makes me wish I could play a game set in your 'verse.
    Argh! That is indeed a typo! Had it correct in one spot then wrote Jergal in the next! (It's now fixed!)

And I wish I could have everyone here play in one of my games! (I am DMing tonight with my favorite group to DM for! They're all new to D&D - well, 10 sessions in - but had not played previously, except for one of them who had played a few times at a local brewery that does D&D nights). So it was (nerve wracking) knowing I was the "make it or break it" for them on their view of D&D - and all of them are so entrenched in the game now - I feel so incredibly honored and humbled.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-08-03 at 11:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Also, I know this is in the 5e section of the forums, but are you willing to write up a backstory for an earlier edition of D&D, perchance?

23. - Top - End - #293

Also, I know this is in the 5e section of the forums, but are you willing to write up a backstory for an earlier edition of D&D, perchance?
    Naturally! The only one that I would probably not be able to do is 4th Edition. 4th Edition is the ONLY version of D&D where I never picked up any of the books. I played in about 10 sessions, which were fun for the "hanging out" aspect of it, but hated the mechanics of 4th Edition. As a result, it's the only gap in my D&D obsession. But google may be able to provide me information to make it possible (to ensure I am not overstepping anything), but it just might take a bit longer to get it done because of it. If you're OK with that (if it's for 4th edition) then by all means - bring it!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Alright, let's see you work on my absolute favourite build and give me a definitive story for it.

Dvati Race

Jade Phoenix Mage, with splashes in Wu Jen, Spellthief, and Crusader as the requirements.

I really want to focus on the eastern thematic from Wu Jen, in addition to the reincarnation from JPM and the weird twin-stuff from Dvati.

The gauntlet has been thrown, my new friend. Dare you pick it up? :D

25. - Top - End - #295

Alright, let's see you work on my absolute favourite build and give me a definitive story for it.
    Dvati Race
    Jade Phoenix Mage, with splashes in Wu Jen, Spellthief, and Crusader as the requirements.
    I really want to focus on the eastern thematic from Wu Jen, in addition to the reincarnation from JPM and the weird twin-stuff from Dvati.
    The gauntlet has been thrown, my new friend. Dare you pick it up? :D
    Consider it added to the list!

26. - Top - End - #296

BlackDragon

I as well. I keep having to stop myself from trying to add things from my game, as well.
    No sense in sinking the boat.

27. - Top - End - #297

1st
    Name: Carmyar Aldaron
    Class: Fighter
    Background: City guard
    Personality: I am kind to the innocent and I hate bullies. I care for my friends and doing what is right.
    Ideals: The weak must be guarded. The light must be protected against the dark. There is beauty in all things in life. My first thought is usually the right one, regardless of what anyone else thinks.
    Bonds: My sister is everything to me.
    Flaws:. I'm quick to make decisions and can be uncharacteristic of an Elf and I don't like to take long to thing about things.
    Notes: His best friend growing up was his sister Sylfiel. He went to train in melee combat and chose to serve in the city guard of Silverymoon, against his parents' wishes. He and his sister are the youngest siblings out of four children. A large family by Elf standards. He can be brash at times and weilds a Greatsword, not a typical Elf weapon.
    This was fun writing a "different kind of elf" who didn't have the common "elf like traits"...
    And because his ties into his sister's I am going to do something fun!
    So for now here's Carmyar...!
    Please give any feedback you might have! I tried to get all the points you wanted!
    Enjoy!

The Gem of the North.

That is the title many give the city of Silverymoon. Despite the city strongly resembling the Elven City, Myth Drannor, the majority of Silverymoon’s population was human, followed by Elves, then Half-Elves, then Dwarves, and finally Halflings and Gnomes. This mixture of races in Silverymoon made it a place where people would gather for peace and discuss matters of the world.

Another aspect for which Silverymoon was known for was its tradition of embracing magic. It had been home to many notable wizards, sorcerers and other Mages, with a very long history of Mages being the leaders of the great city.

One of Silverymoon’s most unique and well known structures is the Moonbridge, which was an invisible bridge that connected the two sections of Silverymoon; the Northbank and Southbank, spanning above River Rauvin.

This was my home.

My name is Carmyar Aldaron and I am a Moon Elf unlike any you might have seen.

I come from a family of four siblings, with myself, and my sister, Sylfel , whom I am the closest with. Even at a young age, I knew my sister was destined for something great. She was always reading, studying, knew history, and things of the world that I had never heard of. Of course, this had made her a target in our youth, of those who were envious of my sister’s knowledge.

My other two siblings had said that Sylfel will learn to defend herself; but Sylfel loathed violence. I found myself stepping between her and those who would seek to tease her. I was brash and often didn’t care about deescalating a situation. To me, Sylfel was my sister and the best way to teach anyone a lesson is to simply fight and beat them. You beat one person down in front of witnesses, the others get the clue that they shouldn’t pick on my sister.

During one such instance, a human named Garithal Stonemight thought to pick on my sister as I was coming back from applying to the City Guard. He had cornered my sister and shouting at her about knowing too much and making everyone else look bad.

I stepped between them. “Is there a problem here?” I asked calmly.

“This isn’t your fight, Elf,” was Garithal’s retort.

“On the contrary,” I smiled, “this is very much my fight. You see, this is my sister. And if you have a problem with her, you have a problem with me.”

I saw Garithal pull back his arm, ready to punch and I smiled. His punch came in slow motion as I watched it coming for me. I easily side stepped his swing and gave a hard punch to the back of his elbow; not enough to break it, but I could have, had I wanted to; but enough to make it so he would not be able to bend his elbow for weeks, if not a month a two.

Garithal, a student wizard who couldn’t make intricate movements with his arms, was someone who wasn’t going to pass the upcoming test. I leaned over and said loud enough for the others who were observing to hear me, “I could have sundered your elbow into a thousand pieces with that punch, had I wanted to. This is the first and only lesson I am giving you,” I looked at the others who had been observing Garithal and not stepping up to stop him, “and all of you. If one of you so much as ever threatens my sister again, I will not be so forgiving. I will not ask for confirmation as I know all of you speak Common.”

I stood and grabbed my sister’s hand and slowly left the scene, leaving them in stunned silence.

As I said, I am not like any Elf you might have seen. Protecting my sister was everything to me and was easily a trigger point.

My application to the City Guard was accepted several weeks after that. Within the City Guard we learned to use an assortment of weapons. As they said, “You never know when you might be disarmed. Knowing how to use any weapon available to you may save your life.”

My weapon of preference was easily the Great Sword. Heavier, but more durable, the damage inflicted with it was tremendous and therapeutic when I struck the test dummies.

“Wouldn’t you prefer a Long Sword,” my captain, a Half-Elf named Terryn Highskies, said. “Our kind is typically quite good with them.”

“Our kind?” I laughed, knowing he was a Half-Elf. Terryn had been kind to me, as an older Half-Elf, he had seen quite a bit. Though his appearance made him look pure Elf, the thin grey beard adorned on his face clearly marked him as having human blood. He never spoke of his human father, so I don’t think he was in the picture much when it came to Terryn’s life. “Truth be told, I am more the hit it hard and be done type. I don’t want to dance around something.” I laughed, knowing that Terryn would understand I was referencing the common misconception that Elves walked on air when they fought.

Then one night, everything changed for me.

There was an explosion that rocked the Northbank and immediately all of the City Guard responded. As we arrived, the Darius Tower was reduced to rubble and a fire burned out of control. Almost immediately Wizards also descended upon the ruins of the Darius Tower and began using spells to try and control, reduce and extinguish the fire, while the City Guard looked through the rubble for survivors. Thankfully, everyone had been in the Training Hall, which was reinforced (because students just learning magic could be rather destructive), but even that had taken severe damage. Amazingly, there were only minor wounds, a few broken bones, an a few small burns; but overall, everyone had survived.

One person was missing from the class, however. My eyes frantically scanned the area for Sylfel, my sister. But she was nowhere to be found. I grabbed one of the students, a young Halfling named Nafar Bubbletoes. “Where is Sylfel?”

“Sylfel?” he asked, peering into my furious eyes. “She’s the one that did this.”

“What?” I dropped Nafar. “What do you mean she did this? She’d never do this!”

“She started screaming, saying her body was burning up,” Nafar straightened his robes, “then the next thing we know a massive explosion and down comes the tower. Thank the gods the training hall is…”

I didn’t finish listening to Nafar; instead I ran outside and began scanning the crowd and that’s when I saw her running away. I pushed my way through the crowd and once we cleared those gathered around the ruins of Darius tower; I called out, “Sylfel! Stop!”

Sylfel turned, her eyes brimming with tears.

I ran up to her and hugged her, thankful she was alive. I pulled back and wiped away the ash on her face. “What happened back there?”

“I was just practicing a simple fireball spell, when suddenly my whole body felt like it was on fire,” she cried, “and I lost control.” She wept madly. “I can feel it in me… there’s so much magic… but I can’t seem to grasp it… control it… It’s surging in me like an emotional storm.”

She looked at me, pleading. “They will come for me. They will arrest me.” She pointed at the City Guard crest I wore.

“No,” I said, shaking my head. “I have always been there to protect you. Tonight is no different. We must get out through the front gates now, before information about what happened makes it to the City Guard. We will leave tonight and make a new life for each other.”

“What of the family,” she started.

“Stop,” I placed my finger on her lips. “It’s always been you and I. It always will be. Now come.”

In the chaos of the night, we managed to avoid the City Guard patrols, because I knew their patterns, and escaped out a secret passage near the front gate, that the City Guard would use to leave the city and attack those who would rush the front gates from behind.

Tonight, our lives would be changed forever.

But one thing will never change. I will always be here for my sister.

28. - Top - End - #298

I as well. I keep having to stop myself from trying to add things from my game, as well.
    No sense in sinking the boat.
    Get a bigger boat?

By all means, if I post something - that's of interest to you - and you want me to expand on it - let me know in this thread. While the focus is character backgrounds, if I write something interesting, you want more information on, or expanded on, I'd be happy to add to it and post it here.

29. - Top - End - #299

2nd
    Name: Sylfel Aldaron
    Class: Wild Magic Sorcerress
    Background: Noble
    Personality: I love to explore new things. I am curious about all things in life and magic. I am slow to start talking, but once I do I am the life of the party.
    Ideals: You must enjoy life in order to fully experience it.
    Bonds: My brother Carmyar is my life.
    Flaws:. I can't resist understanding something magical
    Notes: She was studying arcane magic in Silverymoon, but a magical accident happened when her wild magic manifested. She was spirited away by her twin brother immediately after the accident and now they adventure together.
    And now things from the dear sister's point of view...
    I think I changed all the pronouns where they needed to be changed... I might have missed some! But I think I got them all!
    As always, would love to hear any feedback!
    Enjoy!
    The Gem of the North.

That is the title many give the city of Silverymoon. Despite the city strongly resembling the Elven City, Myth Drannor, the majority of Silverymoon’s population was human, followed by Elves, then Half-Elves, then Dwarves, and finally Halflings and Gnomes. This mixture of races in Silverymoon made it a place where people would gather for peace and discuss matters of the world.

Another aspect for which Silverymoon was known for was its tradition of embracing magic. It had been home to many notable wizards, sorcerers and other Mages, with a very long history of Mages being the leaders of the great city.

One of Silverymoon’s most unique and well known structures is the Moonbridge, which was an invisible bridge that connected the two sections of Silverymoon; the Northbank and Southbank, spanning above River Rauvin.

This was my home.

My name is Sylfel Aldaron and I am a Moon Elf who thrived on magic until one day, everything changed.

I come from a family of four siblings, with myself, and my brother, Carmyar, whom I am the closest with. Even at a young age, I knew my brother would always be there for me. He was always stepping in for me if someone had something ill to say towards me. He possessed no fear that I could see and acted very differently than my parents. My parents, like most Elves would sit and ponder choices and the consequences of each choice for hours on end; my brother was not like that. He acted and acted quickly, which my parents frowned upon saying his behavior was “too human like.” When we were young, my brother had witness the City Guard breaking up a riot and expressed interest in joining, which my parents were against. Though the City Guard had Elves in their numbers, our parents believed that the City Guard would lead to trouble. This naturally did not stop my brother.

I was nothing like my brother, and perhaps that is why we had connected. While my brother was brash and secure in who he was; I was timid, shy, and quiet. My brother enjoyed being outside and wrestling with friends, while I would much rather read about the local history of Silverymoon, which was quite extensive. One thing that had caught my attention reading about the long history of Silverymoon was the predominate mages who were leaders and how Silverymoon was known for its Mage Schools. This naturally got me interested in learning more about magic.

My mother was proud of me; she’d once trained in Silverymoon as well, before giving up the life of being a Wizard. I was surprised that my own mother had once practiced magic since she never made any signs of displaying it and she never spoke of it. As I looked into the history of my family’s bloodline there had been an odd gap in the history books, missing nearly hundred years on my mother’s side for her bloodline. When I asked her about it, she shrugged it off and said that the documents that detailed that part of her family’s bloodline had been lost in a great fire that burned down the Library that held those documents. I felt like she might be holding something from me but I am not sure why my mother would lie to me.

With her reputation as formerly being a wizard, she got me in a school held at the Darius Mage Tower, where she had once been a student a long, long, time ago.

The teacher a female elf by the name of Hawk Windblade immediately recognized me. “You look like your mother. It’s a shame that she discontinued her learning. She had a natural ability to wield magic.”

I discovered that understanding magic came very easily to me; as it had with my mother. I would study only once and grasp what I needed to learn and quickly excelled in the class. This unfortunately drew ire from some of my fellow classmates, one of them in particular, a human named Garithal Stonemight.

Thankfully, my brother had been returning from applying with the City Guard when he happened to be walking by. Garithal had cornered me against a wall and yelling at me about how I am making everyone else look bad; abhorring violence I said nothing to him.

My brother, Carmyar, however enjoyed a good fight. He stepped between us and calmly asked, “Is there a problem here?”

“On the contrary,” my brother smiled, “this is very much my fight. You see, this is my sister. And if you have a problem with her, you have a problem with me.”

I watched as Garithal pull back his arm, ready to punch and saw my brother smile. My brother easily side stepped Garithal’s swing and gave a hard punch to the back of his elbow; not enough to break it but enough to make it so he would not be able to bend his elbow for weeks, if not a month a two.

I let out a gasp, hearing the bone pop loudly.

Garithal, a student wizard who couldn’t make intricate movements with his arms, was someone who wasn’t going to pass the upcoming test. My brother leaned over and said loud enough for the others who were observing to hear, “I could have sundered your elbow into a thousand pieces with that punch, had I wanted to. This is the first and only lesson I am giving you,” He shot a cold, cruel, sneering look at the others who had been observing Garithal and not stepping up to stop him, “and all of you. If one of you so much as ever threatens my sister again, I will not be so forgiving. I will not ask for confirmation as I know all of you speak Common.”

He stood and grabbed my hand and we slowly left the scene, leaving them in stunned silence.

Not surprisingly, Garithal was not at the next few classroom sessions and wisely had not reported what happened to his arm to his parents. He had brushed it off as falling down the stairs at the Darius Mage Tower and banging it against the wall.

For the final test, we were asked to cast spells – each more intricate than the last, earning more points the more difficult the spell. The moment we did not pull off the spell correctly, that’s where our points ended.

Most of the students had played it safe, keeping to lower level spells, such as Magic Missile and a few others. I could feel the magic coursing in my body. I went from Magic Missile; to Disguise Self; to Invisibility (which no one had tried), then to Fireball.

I heard Nafar Bubbletoes behind me, “She’s going for a powerful spell… we haven’t even learned that one in the class yet… what is she doing?”

That’s when something went wrong.

As I began weaving the spell for Fireball, my entire body began to burn.

It became hard to breathe. Sweat began pouring down from my forehead.

The flames; they were in my eyes… my heart… my soul…

Then there was an intense white flash and heat.

A deafening explosion.

When it was done, I stood in the center of the Darius Mage Training Hall, covered in ash and rubble all around me. I glanced around and the explosion’s center was around me.

I looked and heard several of my fellow students coughing. I heard Hawk calling out for people.

What had I done?

How had this happened?

A surge of panic filled my soul as I immediately ran up the shattered remains of the stone stairs and forcibly crawled my way out of the rubble. The entire Darius Mage Tower had come crumbling down. Crowds were gathering, people were trying to put out the fire, people were moving the rubble, screaming for survivors; I could hear the City Guard’s alarm and the descending Mages all around me casting spells to try to control the fire and begin using magic to remove the rubble.

I panicked and began running with no real idea where I was going … Where I would go. Away. Far, far away.

Then a familiar voice called out. “Sylfel! Stop!”

My brother – Carmyar! I turned, my eyes brimming with tears.

He ran up to me and hugged me, thankful I was alive. He pulled back and wiped away the ash on my face. “What happened back there?”

“I was just practicing a simple fireball spell, when suddenly my whole body felt like it was on fire,” I cried, “and I lost control.” I wept madly. “I can feel it in me… there’s so much magic… but I can’t seem to grasp it… control it… It’s surging in me like an emotional storm.”

I looked at me, pleading. “They will come for me. They will arrest me.” I pointed at the City Guard crest I wore.

“No,” he said, shaking his head. “I have always been there to protect you. Tonight is no different. We must get out through the front gates now, before information about what happened makes it to the City Guard. We will leave tonight and make a new life for each other.”

“What of the family,” I had started to ask.

“Stop,” he placed his finger on my lips. “It’s always been you and I. It always will be. Now come.”

In the chaos of the night, we managed to avoid the City Guard patrols, because he knew their patterns, and escaped out a secret passage near the front gate, that the City Guard would use to leave the city and attack those who would rush the front gates from behind.

But one thing will never change. My brother will always be here for me.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This was fun writing a "different kind of elf" who didn't have the common "elf like traits"...
    And because his ties into his sister's I am going to do something fun!
    So for now here's Carmyar...!
    Please give any feedback you might have! I tried to get all the points you wanted!
    Enjoy!

Spoiler
    Show
    The Gem of the North.

This was my home.

My name is Carmyar Aldaron and I am a Moon Elf unlike any you might have seen.

I come from a family of four siblings, with myself, and my sister, Sylfel , whom I am the closest with. Even at a young age, I knew my sister was destined for something great. She was always reading, studying, knew history, and things of the world that I had never heard of. Of course, this had made her a target in our youth, of those who were envious of my sister’s knowledge.

My other two siblings had said that Sylfel will learn to defend herself; but Sylfel loathed violence. I found myself stepping between her and those who would seek to tease her. I was brash and often didn’t care about deescalating a situation. To me, Sylfel was my sister and the best way to teach anyone a lesson is to simply fight and beat them. You beat one person down in front of witnesses, the others get the clue that they shouldn’t pick on my sister.

During one such instance, a human named Garithal Stonemight thought to pick on my sister as I was coming back from applying to the City Guard. He had cornered my sister and shouting at her about knowing too much and making everyone else look bad.

I stepped between them. “Is there a problem here?” I asked calmly.

“On the contrary,” I smiled, “this is very much my fight. You see, this is my sister. And if you have a problem with her, you have a problem with me.”

I saw Garithal pull back his arm, ready to punch and I smiled. His punch came in slow motion as I watched it coming for me. I easily side stepped his swing and gave a hard punch to the back of his elbow; not enough to break it, but I could have, had I wanted to; but enough to make it so he would not be able to bend his elbow for weeks, if not a month a two.

Garithal, a student wizard who couldn’t make intricate movements with his arms, was someone who wasn’t going to pass the upcoming test. I leaned over and said loud enough for the others who were observing to hear me, “I could have sundered your elbow into a thousand pieces with that punch, had I wanted to. This is the first and only lesson I am giving you,” I looked at the others who had been observing Garithal and not stepping up to stop him, “and all of you. If one of you so much as ever threatens my sister again, I will not be so forgiving. I will not ask for confirmation as I know all of you speak Common.”

I stood and grabbed my sister’s hand and slowly left the scene, leaving them in stunned silence.

As I said, I am not like any Elf you might have seen. Protecting my sister was everything to me and was easily a trigger point.

My application to the City Guard was accepted several weeks after that. Within the City Guard we learned to use an assortment of weapons. As they said, “You never know when you might be disarmed. Knowing how to use any weapon available to you may save your life.”

My weapon of preference was easily the Great Sword. Heavier, but more durable, the damage inflicted with it was tremendous and therapeutic when I struck the test dummies.

“Wouldn’t you prefer a Long Sword,” my captain, a Half-Elf named Terryn Highskies, said. “Our kind is typically quite good with them.”

“Our kind?” I laughed, knowing he was a Half-Elf. Terryn had been kind to me, as an older Half-Elf, he had seen quite a bit. Though his appearance made him look pure Elf, the thin grey beard adorned on his face clearly marked him as having human blood. He never spoke of his human father, so I don’t think he was in the picture much when it came to Terryn’s life. “Truth be told, I am more the hit it hard and be done type. I don’t want to dance around something.” I laughed, knowing that Terryn would understand I was referencing the common misconception that Elves walked on air when they fought.

Then one night, everything changed for me.

There was an explosion that rocked the Northbank and immediately all of the City Guard responded. As we arrived, the Darius Tower was reduced to rubble and a fire burned out of control. Almost immediately Wizards also descended upon the ruins of the Darius Tower and began using spells to try and control, reduce and extinguish the fire, while the City Guard looked through the rubble for survivors. Thankfully, everyone had been in the Training Hall, which was reinforced (because students just learning magic could be rather destructive), but even that had taken severe damage. Amazingly, there were only minor wounds, a few broken bones, an a few small burns; but overall, everyone had survived.

One person was missing from the class, however. My eyes frantically scanned the area for Sylfel, my sister. But she was nowhere to be found. I grabbed one of the students, a young Halfling named Nafar Bubbletoes. “Where is Sylfel?”

“Sylfel?” he asked, peering into my furious eyes. “She’s the one that did this.”

“What?” I dropped Nafar. “What do you mean she did this? She’d never do this!”

“She started screaming, saying her body was burning up,” Nafar straightened his robes, “then the next thing we know a massive explosion and down comes the tower. Thank the gods the training hall is…”

I didn’t finish listening to Nafar; instead I ran outside and began scanning the crowd and that’s when I saw her running away. I pushed my way through the crowd and once we cleared those gathered around the ruins of Darius tower; I called out, “Sylfel! Stop!”

Sylfel turned, her eyes brimming with tears.

I ran up to her and hugged her, thankful she was alive. I pulled back and wiped away the ash on her face. “What happened back there?”

“I was just practicing a simple fireball spell, when suddenly my whole body felt like it was on fire,” she cried, “and I lost control.” She wept madly. “I can feel it in me… there’s so much magic… but I can’t seem to grasp it… control it… It’s surging in me like an emotional storm.”

She looked at me, pleading. “They will come for me. They will arrest me.” She pointed at the City Guard crest I wore.

“No,” I said, shaking my head. “I have always been there to protect you. Tonight is no different. We must get out through the front gates now, before information about what happened makes it to the City Guard. We will leave tonight and make a new life for each other.”

“What of the family,” she started.

“Stop,” I placed my finger on her lips. “It’s always been you and I. It always will be. Now come.”

In the chaos of the night, we managed to avoid the City Guard patrols, because I knew their patterns, and escaped out a secret passage near the front gate, that the City Guard would use to leave the city and attack those who would rush the front gates from behind.

But one thing will never change. I will always be here for my sister.
    Wow that's awesome!! It still amazes me how you can write the backstories so we'll and so quickly.