New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Ooh boy, can we request multiple at one? I've got a bunch of proto-ideas that I want written up.

But for now, my first one:

Tortle Druid of Dreams, named Madbloom. Really, really old, cranky, has plants growing on shell because is so old.

Thank you in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    I have one PC in my campaign who constantly tries to force his enemies to yield (by shrieking "JUSTICE!" in a high-pitched shrill voice, since he's a freaking Tiny-size fairy cleric of St. Cuthbert).
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    We're horrible people and are waiting for you to let your guard down before we pounce and feast upon your flesh.
    My friend's Sun-Themed Discipline! PEACH!

My Ice-Themed Martial Discipline! Also PEACH!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falcos View Post
    Ooh boy, can we request multiple at one? I've got a bunch of proto-ideas that I want written up.
    Tortle Druid of Dreams, named Madbloom. Really, really old, cranky, has plants growing on shell because is so old.
    Thank you in advance!
    I would ask that folks don't submit more than 2 (at a time, before I get them done) - that way I am not doing 10 characters for one person at one time, while others are waiting for their chance. :)

I will work on Madbloom after some meetings at work today! :)
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Much fabulousness
    Thank you. I have so much love for this one - out of the characters you've written based off my submissions, this is my favourite so far!

The fight scene was awesome - many buckles were swashed, and it really gave the feel of a battle using acrobatics - but one thing did make me gasp and that was Varis smashing his guitar over someone. I think I'll change that to another nearby object, as the thought of a bard smashing their instrument makes my blood go cold slightly. (Although I do like it as a nod to rock stars smashing their guitars.)

But overall it was absolutely fricking spot on. I want to play that character now! Although to go for lore or swords - both could work off the back of that story. Would be interested to hear your opinion on that actually...

4. - Top - End - #244
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Getting ready to play a new character tonight and could use help with a background.

Male Half-Elf
    Hexblade/Pact of the Blade Warlock
    He is very weak so maybe did the warlock thing to be stronger. Going to at least start with no armor (Mage Armor) and using a shield and a staff, that I use as a walking stick.
    Last edited by evilspacecow; 2019-07-29 at 02:09 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the backstory! It wasn't what I was expecting, it was even better! Once again, thank you for spending the time on this to make it work.

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday Warlock View Post
    Thanks for the backstory! It wasn't what I was expecting, it was even better! Once again, thank you for spending the time on this to make it work.
    The pleasure was all mine! Glad I managed to meet and then exceed the expectations!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaryn View Post
    Thank you. I have so much love for this one - out of the characters you've written based off my submissions, this is my favourite so far!
    The fight scene was awesome - many buckles were swashed, and it really gave the feel of a battle using acrobatics - but one thing did make me gasp and that was Varis smashing his guitar over someone. I think I'll change that to another nearby object, as the thought of a bard smashing their instrument makes my blood go cold slightly. (Although I do like it as a nod to rock stars smashing their guitars.) But overall it was absolutely fricking spot on. I want to play that character now! Although to go for lore or swords - both could work off the back of that story. Would be interested to hear your opinion on that actually...
    Way I saw it (and mind you, this was the vision in my head, which may be drastically different than how you envision it! So by all means change as needed!), but here he was playing a song for kids without parents, these hoodlums come busting in wanting gold, from an organization that has little of it to begin with (try feeding all those mouths with just donations!), so it pushed the bard beyond his limits. He knew (again, all in my head as I wrote this), that this was going to come to a fight - and that he might have to sacrifice his "weapon" (guitar) to win the fight - but to defend the children and the women supporting them - it would be worth it, if it came down to a fight. It was a way of showing that his heart was more with the children than it was for himself and his musical instrument (leaving him to resort to spinning tales in taverns until he could earn enough to purchase a new one).
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

7. - Top - End - #247

Thank you in advance!
    I have never played (or DMed) a Tortle character...
    So this was fun to look up, read up on, and find a way to tie him to the Druid school of Dreams...
    I think I found a fun way to do it, and hopefully it works with what you have in mind!
    (Regardless, I had way too much fun developing his character... and his "friend" who we meet early on...)
    Please give feedback - whether you liked it, loved it, it works, doesn't work - let me know!
    Feedback is what I thrive on when I do these; and it also helps keep the thread alive!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== ==========
    “Come meet the Dreamweaver she said,” Madbloom, a Tortle strolling down the path sighed. “She’s really nice, she said!” Tortle stopped and shook his fist. “Oh, she was nice all right! Nice and tricky!”

Tortles like Madbloom were intelligent, turtle-like humanoids who walked on two feet, capable of making and using weapons. All Tortles felt the sense of “The Pull of the Tide” which was an urge to go about and explore the world far and wide, and return perhaps, months or even many years after leaving their homes, with stories of what they’d learned. It was when Madbloom had felt “The Pull of the Tide” that a Selkie – a water fey that could shape shift from human to seal – had come to him. It was a Selkie he knew named Suntide. She was beautiful, with her large brown eyes, and hair as golden as the sunset, for which she had been named…

“Come meet the Dreamweaver,” Suntide smiled, leaning on a rock and glancing up playfully at Madbloom. “She’s heard of your kind, but in all her years, has never seen one of you.”

“Well,” Madbloom shrugged, “I am not sure I am the best representation of my people. There are many who have traveled the world, seen more, have wonderful stories!”

“The Dreamweaver does not want to hear stories,” Suntide giggled. “She just wants to meet one of you. I told her I knew one! A wonderfully nice Tortle, I told her! You wouldn’t deny me? Make me appear as a liar to the Dreamweaver?”

“I mean,” Madbloom sighed, “no, I don’t want to make you look like a liar,” he had begun to say, finding an excuse to not go, but Suntide cut him off.

“She’s really nice!” Suntide pulled herself up onto the rocks. Her bare body glistened in the setting sun.

“Yes, well,” Madbloom looked away, “I will never get used to that.”

“What?” she looked down and realized her nude body had made him feel odd. “But you do not wear clothes under your shell, right? It’s just your shell you wear.”

“Yes, it’s just that,” Madbloom thought about it. Suntide watched with intense curiosity before Madbloom finally shrugged. “You’re right.”

“So you will go meet the Dreamweaver!” Suntide began to clap excitedly.

“Wait! No! That’s not what I said!” Madbloom began, but Suntide had already dived into the ocean and swam away.

“What have I gotten myself into? It’ll be nice,” Madbloom huffed, “once I leave for the Pull of the Tide to be free of that crazy Selkie.”

“Are you ready?” Suntide’s voice was directly behind him.

Madbloom screamed – or what passed for a scream from a Tortle – which sounded more like a squeaky door slowly creaking open.

Suntide giggled as Madbloom shot her a knowing, scolding look.

“I can hold my breath underwater,” Madbloom began, just then Suntide threw a small vial at him, that he remarkably managed to catch before it shattered on the jagged rocks at his feet. He held up the vial of blue liquid. “What’s this?”

“Drink it!” Suntide smiled broadly.

“You expect me to drink something a fey just hands me from the ocean?” Madbloom eyed her again.

She returned his gaze, her beautiful smile never cracking.

Madbloom’s giant eyes fluttered. “Fine. Fine.” He muttered a series of words and sentences better not left heard by Suntide and popped the top off of the vial and took a drink. Immediately his body felt energized as if he could run for days without needing to slow down.

Suntide extended her hand and Madbloom took hers into his and in that moment, they were moving like a lightning bolt through the skies – piercing the darkest tides of the oceans – down deeper than Madbloom ever thought possible.

They came to a screeching halt before a large, aquatic cave. Several Mermen and Nixie’s patrolled the outside, some mounted on Hippocampus; magnificent aquatic animals with a torso of a horse, whose hooves were fins; and their lower body that of a great fish.

Suntide whispered, “Come,” and Madbloom didn’t even think to wonder how he could still hear her underwater. She led Madbloom by the hand, past several Mermen guards who eyed them as they swam by, hands on their weapons. Eventually they entered a large chamber with a golden seat, decorated in an assortment of sea treasure and shells. Upon it sat the most beautiful humanoid Madbloom had ever seen. She appeared to be an Elf, by the looks of her, with her thin frame, full eyes and pointed ears. But how could she be breathing underwater?

“She’s a Nymph,” Suntide said, as if reading Madbloom’s mind. “She is the Dreamweaver.”

Adapt at being underwater for brief stints, Madbloom let his body sink to the floor where he could properly bow before her. The Dreamweaver smiled, “You are honorable and humble,” her voice sounded like a choir of angels. “You feel the pull of the world beyond now, do you not?”

“The Pull of the Tide,” Madbloom nodded, “that’s what my people call it. The tide pulls you out into the ocean of the world to swim in it, see it, and learn from it.”

“The world beyond is bleeding,” the Dreamweaver said, the emphasis of her voice so sad, even Madbloom felt his own heart plummet. “There is war; greed; savagery; brutality; murder; chaos; all of which has done one thing to so many… especially the children…”

“What is that?” Madbloom raised his head.

“They’ve lost their dreams,” Dreamweaver replied. “So many simply seek to survive the day, and lie in fear at night, with no time to sleep, no time to dream of a better life, or even a better world. What if you, on your travels during the pull of the tide, could help change that? Would you?”

“I would,” Madbloom agreed, “the idea that the world outside is full of such sadness, such a loss of hope… I would want to change it. Especially for the children; the children need a reason to get up, to hope, to dream.”

The Dreamweaver smiled. “I could see it in your heart. Your kind always passing tales to their young so that your young can go forward, charged with the knowledge you’ve passed down. Let me show you the world, when there’s nothing left,” she touched Madbloom’s left hand and visions of a land, decimated by war, the soil drenched in blood, filled his eyes. “Now let me show you how we can make it right,” then she touched Madbloom’s right arm. The vision reversed itself, and the people spoke to one another, laughed, enjoyed each other’s company, and the once crimson fields were now rows of apple fields, ripe with hope.

“You now have seen it, the dark,” she held up her left hand, “and the light,” she showed her right hand. “You now share a connection with me. There is one thing I failed to mention, my life force is tied to yours, so long as I live, you will age, very, very, very slowly.”

That was over two hundred years ago.

Madbloom has seen generations of Tortles come and go, though having none of his own (suspecting that the Fey Magic he was tied to had something to do with that). He enjoyed his life at first, spreading cheer and love, but as he continued to age, seeing generations die when he was barely aging had begun to wear on him. He was well beyond “old” for a Tortle, so much so that plants now grew on his shell and a hummingbird (which he tried to say he disliked) named “Dart” had made a nest on his shell. It would leave for weeks on end, but Dart always found her way back to Madbloom. He even wondered if it was somehow Suntide…

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Beautiful! Thank you! Honestly, tying the turtle-man into the fey magic was the sticking point for me.

If you're willing to take another request so soon, I also have Mahal, human blade-pact warlock servant of Jergal, and Little Sun, punch-centric desert-tempest barbarian who grew up alone and is now an adrenaline junkie thrill-seeker, for both of whom I need to come up with backstories.

That having been said, I don't want to hog you and your writing, so if other people have requests that you are wanting to fill first, please feel free.

Madbloom's story is beautiful and I love it. Really gets me the character's "voice" down pat, which is great. :)
    I have one PC in my campaign who constantly tries to force his enemies to yield (by shrieking "JUSTICE!" in a high-pitched shrill voice, since he's a freaking Tiny-size fairy cleric of St. Cuthbert).
    We're horrible people and are waiting for you to let your guard down before we pounce and feast upon your flesh.

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by evilspacecow View Post
    Getting ready to play a new character tonight and could use help with a background.
    Male Half-Elf
    Hexblade/Pact of the Blade Warlock
    He is very weak so maybe did the warlock thing to be stronger. Going to at least start with no armor (Mage Armor) and using a shield and a staff, that I use as a walking stick.
    Another Hexblade! You people love your Hexblades! I've never DMed for one or played one! So I always worry if I am writing it correctly!
    Naturally, any changes can be made to make it fit better (or just completely disregarded if it doesn't fit what you want!)
    For me, I HOPE I get something the requestor wants - but I also enjoy the aspect of the "one hour" writing challenge I present myself with!
    There's a little thing in this thread called "The Tawmis Verse" where I tie people's origins to others I've written...
    And yours way the perfect one to tie to Baraks the Tiefling!
    His origin is not needed (since he only plays a very small part), but by reading his, you can see how they tie together! And it "expands" on yours in a way.
    Regardless! Please let me know if you like it, hate, love, can use it, can't use, can use part of it!
    I thrive on feedback - it sedates my hunger and keeps this thread alive!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== ====================

Waterdeep is one of the largest cities of all Faerûn, but like any person, there were pieces to it; the arms that had their hands in everything, the legs that kept everything moving, the heart of the city in the center, the mind, where all the politicians sat; and then there were the eyes. The eyes of Waterdeep were blind and so too were the people.

Most walked by the entrance to the Southern Ward of Waterdeep and immediately cast their vision in the opposite direction as if some horror might turn them to stone if they were to peer into the depths of the Southern Ward of Waterdeep. Truth be told, the Southern Ward was where the “poor people” would live; most commonly what were affectionately called “the undesirables and half-breeds.”

Not only did the Southern Ward home those living well below poverty, but it was also home to unusual folks of Faerûn – the “half-breeds” such as Half-Orcs, Tieflings, and yes, even Half-Elves. I was one of those “half-breeds”, a Half-Elf named Erintor Greenhaven.

My life has the same tragic tale you might expect. My mother, Allana Greenhaven was here for diplomatic purposes when she was abducted by Wererats who call the sewers of Waterdeep their home. They demanded a ransom for her safe return and when it was paid, they did not release her; instead they kept her for months, subjecting her to abuse and punishment. One of those rat-bastards would eventually become my father, getting my mother pregnant. When she learned she was pregnant she made repeated attempts to escape, but would always get caught again, because the sewers were a maze. But what they did not know was that my mother was marking the tunnels each time she tried to escape so she would know next time, which one might be a dead end. One week before I was born, she managed to outwit and escape the Wererats, surfacing out of one of the sewer grates in the Southern Ward where some kind people took her in. She gave birth to me and died a few short hours later from malnourishment.

That malnourishment led to me growing up weak and frail. The people who raised me kept the secret that my father was a Wererat from me until I turned eighteen seasons; when they finally told me that they believe, according to my mother’s rambles of madness, when she had first escaped, that she had gotten away from Wererats. I now wake up, every morning, wondering if my father’s cursed blood has passed down to me. The full moon has come and gone, several times now, and so far I’ve not changed.

But because I was so weak and frail, I was often picked on in the Southern Ward where fighting for your food was a way of surviving. One night, while running from some boys who had hoped to rob me of what little I had, I stepped into what passed as a Church in the Southern Ward. It was, to my surprise, primarily Tieflings, which was a startling sight. I felt as if I had run from bullies and stepped into the plane of Hades. On the wall was a painting of a female, demon, looking woman, with six arms and a serpentine body.

A Tiefling placed his hand on my shoulder as he looked back at the bullies who hesitated at the Church’s entrance. “My name is Barakas. Welcome to the Church of Mythia. You, my friend, are safe here from the likes of them.”

At first, this was merely a place of shelter, but listening to Barakas speak of Mythia, and about how, despite her appearance, like Tieflings, she hoped to bring good to the world, and show that appearances are never the way to judge one.

That was the first night. I returned to the Church of Mythia every week, and especially on the full moon, where it was said Mythia’s eyes were on us all, passing judgement, to ensure we were doing what she asked of us.

There was a religious organization in the Southern Ward known as “The Pillar of Light” who also thought the full moon was sacred; but they believed it was their holy god (they followed a number of them), shining the light through the darkness to show them where evil was.

One night, while the Pillar of Light had been chanting outside the Church about the “devil’s fools” that we were (reminding me so much of the bullies who had tried to tell me how to live my life, and threaten me with violence and fear), I heard a woman’s voice.

“The storm is brewing,” she said to me directly. “I will need weapons to vanquish those that would stand against me. You have run all of your life. You have been weak all of your life. Open your soul to me, I will make you strong, I will make you my weapon.”

It was Mythia! It had to be! I closed my eyes and imagined my chest being ripped open, but there was no pain – only peace – as one of Mythia’s demon claws squeezed my heart. With a gasp I opened my eyes and felt more alive than I had ever. “The process is complete.”

We had been celebrating the eighteenth season of Baraka’s turning when the Pillar of Light suddenly attacked the Church throwing fire; claiming that they would burn it down and send it, flames and all, back to the planes of Hades. My breath left me, and my eyes rolled to the back of my head, as my hand stopped on the hilt of a scimitar, like the one Mythia used. Next to me, I could see Baraka in the same trance as we moved, like the hands of the six armed Mythia, striking at those around us. The Pillar of Light was forced to flee, having never seen us fight back. When it was done I collapsed to the floor and looked at Barakas.

“We have been blessed,” he smiled.

I smiled back. I would stand against those who would seek to drive me back.

I am weak. I am frail.

But what I will never be again is afraid.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-07-29 at 11:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250

BlackDragon

Announcement

Do you have a Character in need of some assistance with Mechanical Crunch or Fluff?

Do you have more than one PC that you would like looked at?
    or were you somehow overlooked?

I just made Character Development
    Just for these.

Not limited to just D&D, but also most Sci-fi (and not just Star Wars) and perhaps a few other RPGs.

Note: there are RPGs that I am not familiar with, and some research on that will be needed.
    Please have patience.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-29 at 11:22 PM.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

11. - Top - End - #251

Beautiful! Thank you! Honestly, tying the turtle-man into the fey magic was the sticking point for me.
    Madbloom's story is beautiful and I love it. Really gets me the character's "voice" down pat, which is great. :)
    The tie to the Fey was the very interesting part to me... Having never DM'ed or played a Tortle (yet! Though I did just introduce them in my homebrew game about three months ago!), I enjoyed stepping into his shell and seeing what his world was like... I enjoyed making him doubtful (in his youth) and having the bubbly Suntide as a contrast to him; and then making him old and cranky later, and giving him "Dart" (which is just "fluff", but if you and your DM wanted you could give the Hummingbird stats) who "annoys" him, but he's actually thankful for whenver Dart is around. (And being a Druid you could technically speak to Dart whenever she's around).

If you're willing to take another request so soon, I also have Mahal, human blade-pact warlock servant of Jergal, and Little Sun, punch-centric desert-tempest barbarian who grew up alone and is now an adrenaline junkie thrill-seeker, for both of whom I need to come up with backstories.
    That having been said, I don't want to hog you and your writing, so if other people have requests that you are wanting to fill first, please feel free.
    I am going to step away from the computer tonight, but consider them on the list to be done!

12. - Top - End - #252

BlackDragon

Back Burner.
    Take your time on this one, Tawmis, just idle curious-ity on my part.

Spoiler: Ancient Silver Dragon
    Show

Nameless, as yet.

Spellcaster version. 2,000+ y/o. Female.

While still LG, and dedicated to spreading Joy, she's not as spry these days.
    As such, she uses Scrying (and Sending to spies) to keep tabs on Events going on.

If she finds someone she thinks worthy, she'll cast Dream and offer her Power to that Individual.

This was supposed to be the Patron for my Dragonwrought Kobold Warlock, Drekekno.

Sadly, it looks like the 3e D&D PbP game for that PC will never happen, and I don't want this guy to die.

I'm putting them into my 5e Forgetten Realms game (at least until I can find a DM for him), and am interested in what you can come up with.

Insomnia, ya!🙃

13. - Top - End - #253
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Way I saw it (and mind you, this was the vision in my head, which may be drastically different than how you envision it! So by all means change as needed!), but here he was playing a song for kids without parents, these hoodlums come busting in wanting gold, from an organization that has little of it to begin with (try feeding all those mouths with just donations!), so it pushed the bard beyond his limits. He knew (again, all in my head as I wrote this), that this was going to come to a fight - and that he might have to sacrifice his "weapon" (guitar) to win the fight - but to defend the children and the women supporting them - it would be worth it, if it came down to a fight. It was a way of showing that his heart was more with the children than it was for himself and his musical instrument (leaving him to resort to spinning tales in taverns until he could earn enough to purchase a new one).
    That actually makes a lot of sense and provides a nice insight into character!

14. - Top - End - #254

If you're willing to take another request so soon, I also have Mahal, human blade-pact warlock servant of Jergal
    First one done!
    I frequently make various monsters (The Red Eye Orcs, Bar'garius the Demon, etc.) appear in multiple stories (so that it all feels like one world, affectionately dubbed "The Tawmis Verse" even though most of these are written with the Forgotten Realms setting in mind). One thing I frequently use in all of my own games (and typically tie to my character histories) is a Green Dragon named "Emereth" that I wrote a whole story for eons ago... she's stuck with me since. She appeared in someone else's story I wrote in this thread. She makes an appearance in yours as well.
    With Jeral being who he is... she seemed the perfect fit to use her here...
    As always, please provide ANY feedback you might have! Good or bad! I thrive on it!
    Enjoy!
    ============================================

Her arrival marked death throughout the city of Night’s Bane.

Hailed to be a city that would one day rival Waterdeep, which was called “The Crown of the North”, Night’s Bane was located just south of The Far Forest, northwest of Anauroch, a vast wasteland. The mountains to the north of The Far Forest made it an unlikely path, so when Night’s Bane was made between The Far Forest and the mountains, it rapidly became one of the largest trading routes with nomads who thrived in the wastelands of Anauroch.

I was the son of Kaya, the Chieftess of the Pasir Gurun tribe that lived in Anauroch. Approximately once a month, my mother would lead several members of her tribe to Night’s Bane to commence with trades for weapons and leathers that would be used for tarps and tents for the tribe.

It had started like any other day. My mother took me to the center of town, where the wizards had constructed a bent form of lens that absorbed the sun’s light and during the night, emitted a powerful light that waned as the night went out, back towards the heavens. It’d be this interesting contraption that Night’s Bane earned its name.

The Sun’s Eye, as they had called it, was said to be the sun’s power channeled back into the night to keep evil at bay. For almost forty years, this theory worked. Not a single orc, goblin or ogre dared invade Night’s Bane.

Today, everything changed.

First there was a general sense of uneasiness as the day pressed on. People were bickering and glancing around nervously; even my mother had uncharacteristically snapped at me, for something very trivial. The answer for all the unease came by mid-day, when a large shadow passed over Night’s Bane and people began to scream. I looked up and saw a large, green dragon that seemed to stretch for miles as she flew above us. She made several passes over the town inciting mass hysteria. Once she was satisfied with the amount of panic she had caused, she made another pass over Night’s Bane, and breathed her rancid gas breath. The green mist pour through the streets into every crevice like a tidal wave of death.

My mother had shoved me into one of the Stone Towers that was near the Sun’s Eye, as she barked commands for the people of our tribe to launch arrows and spears at the dragon. The large green dragon made several more swooping attacks breathing her lethal breath into the city; one of those passes I suddenly stopped hearing my mother.

With the resistance taken down, the green dragon made passes, this time lower, using her feet and wings to tear down buildings. I could hear buildings collapsing all around me and a new round of terrified screams. I found a stairwell that led further underground and sought safety there, but the tower I had hid in soon collapsed, and the rocks fell down the stairs, like wave of grey stone, burying me, breaking my bones, crushing me against the wall.

I waited, caught between life and death, for my moment to come.

Instead I heard a voice in my head; a sign, I was certain was due to the lack of oxygen. But the voice had been clear when it spoke to me.

“I have been gone a long time, my child. Emereth has garnered my attention due to the mass destruction she’s wrought to the world,” the voice said. “She is ancient, one of the oldest of the Green Dragons. She has sent many to my realm, but in her old age, she’s grown my violent, sending people to me much sooner than they should have come to me. She has upset the balance of Fate and now I am in need of setting things right. I will need a weapon to strike at her. Will you accept my offer?”

Feeling as if I had little choice, I gasped, “I accept,” desperate to escape the crushing, agonizing pain of my slowly approaching death. A skull tumbled down the ruins, a parchment in its mouth.

“Take the parchment,” the voice whispered.

My arm was broken in three different places, but I managed to fight through the pain and reach the parchment. As my hand drew near, the skull’s mouth opened, as if inviting me to take the parchment. To my surprise the teeth came down on my hand and I felt a burning energy enter my body. For the briefest of moments, I thought, on top of this all, I had just been poisoned.

My hands crackled with energy and two glowing white daggers appeared in my hands. I could feel my arm feeling as if it was healing.

“Dig,” the voice whispered.

I shoved the daggers into the stone, and much to my surprise, the stone seemed to melt away like a hot knife through butter. I dug myself free and slowly climbed out of the wreckage. Only myself and less than a handful had survived Emereth’s violent and senseless attack. Night’s Bane was left in such a state that it would never recover, and in the years that followed, became a memorial site for those lives lost.

I never found my mother’s body, but I found the bodies of other members of my tribe.

The voice said to me, “My name is Jergal, and you are my weapon. In time, your destiny will one day bring you face to face with Emereth. Send her vile soul to me.”

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Hooray! You've helped me pin down a concrete motivation on Mahal. Thank you very much. I like the story. I'll tweak a couple of things (what weapon he makes, implied age), but it's otherwise perfect.

I should also let you know that your earlier story about Madbloom has also sparked a character for a close friend of mine - a Water Genasi Feylock called Suntide. Are you willing to slot that in as well, for her? Sorry that I'm spamming you with requests.

Thank you again for your wondrous masterpieces. :)

16. - Top - End - #256

If you're willing to take another request so soon, I also have Little Sun, punch-centric desert-tempest barbarian who grew up alone and is now an adrenaline junkie thrill-seeker
    Interesting that this was not planned, I swear...
    I wrote your first character as someone from the great barren wasteland...
    And realized your second one was a desert tempest...
    And decided I would, indirectly, tie the two together...
    They obviously work independently of one another, as well...
    But it was fun to expand on the "Tawmis-Verse" as we call it...
    And the "Three Tests" - if you're familiar with ElfQuest, you might see where that inspiration comes from...
    I would love to hear feedback, as always!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== ==
    Hailing from the Matahari Kecil tribe located in the middle of the barren wastes of Anauroch, Little Sun was named such for his unusual blonde hair, when most in his tribe typically had raven-black hair. Little Sun was the youngest child of Hopestrider, the renowned Shaman of the Matahari Kecil tribe.

Hopestrider had spent most of his years, growing up, attuned to nature. One might look out into the barren wasteland that was Anauroch and think there was no such thing as “nature” that exists. It’s true, during the day, one might only see wild camels; but at night, such animals as the fennec foxes, coyotes, to name a few; but there were also reptiles such as the thunder lizard and an assortment of snakes; and insects such as dung beetles, and too many others to name. The desert was also full of an abundance of plants, if one looked.

Knowing how these animals moved and survived in the desert, and knowing what plants were poisonous or not was not only vital to their survival, but the survival of their beasts of burden, such as the camels and donkeys.

Hopestrider had initially believed that his youngest son, Little Sun, was destined for greatness because of his unusually colored hair. He spent days and weeks trying to teach his restless son the ways of honing the Shamanistic abilities that were surly in him; but Little Sun was too restless. Little Sun was always challenging others to fights, finding new ways to prove he was the best – if not the wildest among the Matahari Kecil tribe.

When Little Sun reached eighteen changes of Seasons, despite Hopestrider’s multitude of failed attempts to teach his rambunctious son how to channel the spirits of nature to heed his call; he sent Little Sun to take the Three Challenges of the Shaman.

The first was being brought before the cave of a mouth entrance, and being expected to find the exit on the other side. The cave, wrought with various poisonous snakes, plants, and humanoids that would seek to kill him. Three days later, Little Sun emerged out of the exit wearing snake pelt boots, a dead Kobold slung over his shoulder, chewing on one of the most toxic plants found in the cave. He was sick for sixteen days, vomiting nonstop, but he had no regrets.

The second test had him blindfolded, brought to a tree, where he was tied upside down and then spun until the rope was pulled taut, then released; as everyone else fled, covering their tracks. The goal was to find the one person who had the Bogadin Leaves. When Little Sun stopped spinning and managed to pull off the blindfold, climb up and untie himself, he managed to track down one of the people and proceeded to rough them up, until they confessed to who had the Bogadin Leaves, and where they should be hiding. That took a total of five days to complete.

The third and final test would have him climbing a high arc, that had a thin path, and violent winds that threatened to push anyone off. Without fear, Little Sun climbed up the pathway, which of itself was difficult because of the angle to just get to the path was nearly a vertical climb. When he reached the top where a thin pathway led to a stone on the other side he would need to touch, the wind viciously whipped at him.

He never returned from that.

As it turned out, from that height, something massive could be seen in the heavens flying towards a town called Night’s Bane, which the people of the Matahari Kecil Tribe had often traded with. Little Sun had gone there a number of times with his father, who had gone to speak about his god to anyone who would listen.

Little Sun quickly scrambled down the vertical ledge he had spent nearly three hour climbing. His muscles burned with a fever hotter than any day he’d spent in Anauroch. He ran towards Night’s Bane curious what he’d seen flying in that direction. It took several hours and Little Sun had pushed his body well beyond the limit and just as the entrance of Night’s Bane could be seen, dehydration kicked in and Little Sun collapsed on the ground.

When he awoke, much of his body was buried in sand, as if some great sandstorm had blown over him without stirring him from his unconscious state. The sunburn on his arms told him he had not been unconscious longer than a day. He pushed himself to stand up and gazed at Night’s Bane, which was a smoldering mess. The gates were toppled over and the smell of decay filled the air. There were only a few screams and crying as Little Sun entered the decimated city. Towers had been knocked down to nothing, people lay dead all over the streets, either with vomit coming out of their mouth, while others appeared they’d been bitten in half or torn apart.

Amidst all the chaos and destruction, a human, about the same age as Little Sun, caught his attention. He approached the human who seemed to be in a state of shock. He recognized the human as someone from the Pasir Gurun Tribe, whom Little Sun’s people shared the barren wasteland with, according to the markings on his tattered garment.

“What happened here?” Little Sun asked.

“Emereth,” the human replied, matter-of-factly, as if that should explain everything.

“What is a ‘Emereth’,” Little Sun asked. “I was up on a vantage point and saw something enormous flying this way.”

“Emereth is not a thing,” the human named Mahal said, looking at Little Sun. It’s then Little Sun noticed what appeared to be tooth marks on the human’s right hand. “Emereth is an ancient green dragon who must pay for what she’s done.”

The idea of chasing down an Ancient Green Dragon seemed like the greatest challenge of all…

17. - Top - End - #257

Hooray! You've helped me pin down a concrete motivation on Mahal. Thank you very much. I like the story. I'll tweak a couple of things (what weapon he makes, implied age), but it's otherwise perfect.

I should also let you know that your earlier story about Madbloom has also sparked a character for a close friend of mine - a Water Genasi Feylock called Suntide. Are you willing to slot that in as well, for her? Sorry that I'm spamming you with requests.

Thank you again for your wondrous masterpieces. :)
    I think I forgot to mention that the attack on Night's Bane had happened "years ago" when we get to the end... indicating some years had gone by since the attack!
    As for the friend's request - I'd be happy to do it! I just have one to do before that one!

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    Back Burner.
    Take your time on this one, Tawmis, just idle curious-ity on my part.
    Nameless, as yet.
    Spellcaster version. 2,000+ y/o. Female.
    While still LG, and dedicated to spreading Joy, she's not as spry these days.
    As such, she uses Scrying (and Sending to spies) to keep tabs on Events going on.
    If she finds someone she thinks worthy, she'll cast Dream and offer her Power to that Individual.
    This was supposed to be the Patron for my Dragonwrought Kobold Warlock, Drekekno.
    Sadly, it looks like the 3e D&D PbP game for that PC will never happen, and I don't want this guy to die.
    I'm putting them into my 5e Forgetten Realms game (at least until I can find a DM for him), and am interested in what you can come up with.
    Insomnia, ya!🙃
    I gave her a name, which you can change if you come up with something!
    Since she was an Ancient Silver Dragon, I also tied her to Emereth (see the previous histories)!
    I've never DM'ed or played with a Dragonwrought Kobold (or even used one as a DM)... So that was interesting.
    I guess there's no official 5e version of Dragonwrought yet; so I based it on knowledge I found on previous versions.
    (The Dragonshield Kobold kind of comes close for 5e, if you're looking for "official" stats you could tweak).
    As always, feedback is appreciated!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== ===========
    I’ve seen nations rise and fall. I’ve seen wars fought, battles lost, battles won. I’ve seen celebrations turned to disasters and seen the people of Faerûn set aside prejudice and hatred to stand together against a common enemy.

My true name is Sruthairgid, but the mortals called me “Silverstream” because of the way the moon reflected on my scales. I am an ancient Silver Dragon and I ache deeply from both physical and emotional wounds.

Once, many centuries ago now, I fought in the Dragonfall Wars. I had made a mortal enemy in a – then adult – green dragon named Emereth. My once silver scales now bare several scars from the battles against Emereth that will never heal. In my last fight with Emereth, before she destroyed my eggs, she had torn my wing up so viciously that I knew I would never be able to fly again.

But Emereth in all of her vile darkness struck a blow much more powerful than the scars I wear on the outside; Emereth, a female like myself, did what no other would dare think to do. She found my best and destroyed the eggs of my children.

I truly never recovered again. The strike had been one so devastating to my heart that I had lost the will to fight; dare I say, nearly lost the will to live. My home in the mountain fell to shambles, and even Kobolds grew fearless and took up residence in the same string of caverns that I called home. They would sneak into my portion of the cave and steal one gold coin at a time, thinking I was unaware. In truth, I simply did not care. All I had cared about was using my magic to preserve the shattered eggs from my nest; so terrified of losing everything. Broken as they were, they were a symbol of the children I should have had; deserved to have.

After several generations, the Kobold chieftan, Beyark Tookator, approached me and asked to make an alliance with me, acknowledging that I was a dragon and that the Kobolds were descendants of dragons and that I was to be treated respectfully. Under Beyark’s rule all that had been stolen from me for generations was gradually returned; which was a nice gesture, but in truth they could have kept it all. I rewarded Beyark with a staff that was magical (doubting he’d ever learn how to trigger it; but it was an ornate staff with a dragon’s head at the top, holding a crystal ball).

I was surprised – as was Beyark – six years later when he brought his son, Drekekno before me. Drekekno was different than the rest; his Kobold scales were silver in color, similar to mine. Beyark’s wife, a lovely Kobold named Unalewsa, began to accuse Beyark of seducing me (though she was always extremely polite to me, even after this “supposed” affair between Beyark and myself).

Drekekno was, I realized, a Dragonwrought Kobold; somewhere in his bloodline, there was indeed Draco Silver. I began to tend to Drekekno, training him how to harness magic that seemed to be innately natural to him; undoubtedly due to his bloodline. I realized that, though I had lost my children to Emereth, Drekekno was like a son to me now. I gave him everything, trained with him, and even ventured outside, beyond the cave to be with him.

Like any young dragon would, the time came where Drekekno wanted to see what was outside, beyond the world of the cave. I pried a small silver scale from him and cast a spell upon it and explained that no matter where he went now, I would be able to visit him in his dreams.

I watched as Drekekno left for the world beyond; and once he was out of my sight, I settled down contently in the cave; and that’s when I noticed my shattered eggs from hundreds of years ago, had finally fallen apart, because I was no longer focused on them.

I had a new son.

And I was proud of him.

His name was Drekekno, and I could see it in his eyes. He was full of life and hope, and great things were destined for his future…

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

And Little Sun is beautiful too. Will be changing gender, as I realise I forgot to mention gender in my pitch (in any of my pitches so far, for that matter), but it's otherwise perfect. :)

Thank you so very kindly. :)

20. - Top - End - #260

Heh - so I immediately realized your friend's request for the Water Genasi Feylock had the same name I gave the Selkie in Madbloom's story.
    So... I expanded on Suntide's origin (from that story) changing her to a Water Genasi; and explaining how she came to be.
    Then at the end, tying it to Madbloom's story (although the two can operate separately, easily enough; but in the event you're in the same game; it was a very easy and logical tie in!)
    As always feedback from you - and anything your friend has to say (good or bad, I thrive on it all!) - I would love to hear!
    With this change - I sort of envisioned Namorita (pitter patter heart!) from Marvel Comics as I wrote this.
    Enjoy!
    ==========================================
    She’d been the most beautiful woman my father had ever seen.

My father a human named Samar Cloudmane had spent the early part of his years working at the docks of Waterdeep, until one day, a crew having suffered heavy losses at sea due to an unforeseen storm were looking to recruit crew members. Though my father lacked any actual sailing experience, his years as a young adult working the docks of Waterdeep had given him enough insight on the basics (and he may have even borrowed a “story or two” and claimed it as his own experience) that granted him a position as a crew member aboard the Waverider.

He quickly worked his way up. He had started by being a deckhand and cleaning the decks day in and day out under the blistering, and often unforgiving sun. Even during storms, he had been sent out to “clean the decks.” For a brief while after that, he had become the ship’s cook – until they realized what a horrible idea that was (my father was always a terrible cook). He was then promoted to boatswain, where he took on an assortment of duties and reported directly to the Quartermaster. He oversaw the gunners and Master Gunner, who reported directly to him. When the Quartermaster was tragically killed during an attack by pirates, my father took over as position of Quartermaster, and this is where he stayed, until the day he met my mother.

She had booked passage from a small island, her long, golden hair blowing perfectly in the wind. Her eyes were as blue as the ocean, and my father swore they even moved like tides of water. The trek to Waterdeep had been two weeks, with frequent stops for trades; and in that time my father developed a friendship which bloomed into a romance with the woman named Atoirmna. Just before arriving at Waterdeep a mysterious storm struck the Waverider. This time there had only been one casualty and that was Atoirmna. My father was devastated. When the battered ship reached Waterdeep, my father resigned and took up drinking. He worked solely to pay for his drinking debt.

One night, while blissfully intoxicated, a beautiful woman entered The Broken Barge, a tavern made to look like a turned over vessel, and saw my father. She approached him, a young infant in her hands. “I am sorry I had to go,” her voice was one that immediately snapped my father from his drunken stupor. He looked up, though his vision was blurry due to the intoxicating amount of alcohol he had consumed, there was no doubting that it was Atoirmna that was standing before him. He blinked several times wondering if he had drank so much that he was now hallucinating.

“How,” had been the only words he could mutter, his blitzed mind becoming clearer by the second.

“I am,” she started to explain, her blue eyes awash in sadness, “not of this world. I am a Genie from the Elemental Plane of Water. I have always been interested in the Mortal world and have made several visits to it. But never have I,” she paused, shaking her head so her blond hair covered her eyes, covered her tears, “never have I met someone like you. You care about me because of who I was not only for how I looked. Your heart cared for me for who I,” she choked, “pretended to be. After our nights shared together, I sensed… the child… I felt ashamed. You had given yourself to me so freely, so deeply, so passionately, for a person I had pretended to be. I lied to you and that was unbearable. I couldn’t face you, so I used my control of the water, to create a storm, to allow me to be ‘washed overboard.’” She took a deep breath, “I thought I would be doing you a favor… even as I returned to the Plane of Water, I used a scrying pool to keep an eye on you… I kept waiting for you to get better… to pull yourself free from this sadness… and I began to realize you never would.”

My father could hear her weeping now. “I cannot stay with you,” she looked down at the infant in her arms, “but she can. Her name is Suntide. She is,” she paused again, regaining her composure, “our daughter.”

My father’s eyes brimmed with tears as Atoirmna placed me in my father’s arms. Though my mother was forced to leave again, my father now had a piece of her with him always in me. My father raised me as if I were no different than any child; despite my light blue tuned skin and water like eyes. I had my mother’s long, golden locks of hair, for which I was named after.

This is how my father told it to me; and told it to me often, still so in love with my mother, and so wonderfully proud of the woman I had grown up to become.

My father lived a wonderful life and showed me nothing but love for those eighteen years. He died, shortly after my eighteenth birthday of natural causes, with me at his side. Just before he passed, my mother, Atoirmna returned, but he had already lost conscious. But I feel like he knew she was there because he smiled one last time before taking his last breath.

I remained in Waterdeep for another year, working at the Broken Barge, earning wages as a waitress there, before taking to the road to see the world. I met a Nymph named The Dreamweaver, who took the time to teach me master the magic I had always felt coursing in my body.

One day, while lying on some rocks along the beach, I heard an unusual voice. Sitting up, I saw what appeared to be a humanoid turtle walking on two legs, speaking to himself. Curious, I approached and introduced myself. He in turn introduced himself as Madbloom. He was very interesting to speak with and when I returned to the Dreamweaver, I explained what I had seen. She had heard of this race known as Tortles, but had not seen one herself. (Which was amazing to me, because the Dreamweaver was several thousand years old). I had asked if she would like to meet Madbloom and she had said she did.

So the next day, I swam to the shore where I had last seen Madbloom, pleased to see he hadn’t moved. “Come meet the Dreamweaver,” I smiled, leaning on a rock and glancing up playfully at Madbloom. “She’s heard of your kind, but in all her years, has never seen one of you.”

“Well,” Madbloom shrugged, “I am not sure I am the best representation of my people. There are many who have traveled the world, seen more, have wonderful stories!”

“The Dreamweaver does not want to hear stories,” I giggled. “She just wants to meet one of you. I told her I knew one! A wonderfully nice Tortle, I told her! You wouldn’t deny me? Make me appear as a liar to the Dreamweaver?”

“I mean,” Madbloom sighed, “no, I don’t want to make you look like a liar,” he had begun to say, finding an excuse to not go, but Suntide cut him off.

“She’s really nice!” I pulled herself up onto the rocks. My bare body glistened in the setting sun; living with the Nymph, clothing was something I had learned to discard from my human heritage.

“What?” I looked down and realized my nude body had made him feel odd. “But you do not wear clothes under your shell, right? It’s just your shell you wear.”

“Yes, it’s just that,” Madbloom thought about it. Suntide watched with intense curiosity before Madbloom finally shrugged. “You’re right.”

“So you will go meet the Dreamweaver!” I began to clap excitedly.

“Wait! No! That’s not what I said!” Madbloom began, but I had already dove into the ocean and swam away.

“What have I gotten myself into? It’ll be nice,” Madbloom huffed, “once I leave for the Pull of the Tide to be free of that crazy Selkie.”

“Are you ready?” My voice startled him.

Madbloom screamed – or what passed for a scream from a Tortle – which sounded more like a squeaky door slowly creaking open.

I giggled as Madbloom shot me a knowing, scolding look.

“I can hold my breath underwater,” Madbloom began, just as I threw a small vial at him, that he remarkably managed to catch before it shattered on the jagged rocks at his feet. He held up the vial of blue liquid. “What’s this?”

“Drink it!” I smiled broadly.

“You expect me to drink something a fey just hands me from the ocean?” Madbloom eyed me again.

I returned his gaze, my beautiful smile never cracking.

Madbloom’s giant eyes fluttered. “Fine. Fine.” He muttered a series of words and sentences better not left heard by me, I suppose, and popped the top off of the vial and took a drink. Immediately his body felt energized as if he could run for days without needing to slow down.

I extended my hand and Madbloom took mine into his and in that moment, we were moving like a lightning bolt through the skies – piercing the darkest tides of the oceans – down deeper than Madbloom ever thought possible.

We came to a screeching halt before a large, aquatic cave. Several Mermen and Nixies patrolled the outside, some mounted on Hippocampus; magnificent aquatic animals with a torso of a horse, whose hooves were fins; and their lower body that of a great fish.

I whispered, “Come,” and Madbloom didn’t even think to wonder how he could still hear me underwater.

I led Madbloom by the hand, past several Mermen guards who eyed us as we swam by. Eventually we entered the large chamber with a golden seat, decorated in an assortment of sea treasure and shells. Upon it sat the most beautiful humanoid Madbloom had ever seen. She appeared to be an Elf, by the looks of her, with her thin frame, full eyes and pointed ears. But how could she be breathing underwater?

“She’s a Nymph,” I said, as if reading Madbloom’s mind. “She is the Dreamweaver.”

Adapt at being underwater for brief stints, Madbloom let his body sink to the floor where he could properly bow before her. The Dreamweaver smiled, “You are honorable and humble,” her voice sounded like a choir of angels. “You feel the pull of the world beyond now, do you not?”

“The Pull of the Tide,” Madbloom nodded, “that’s what my people call it. The tide pulls you out into the ocean of the world to swim in it, see it, and learn from it.”

“The world beyond is bleeding,” the Dreamweaver said, the emphasis of her voice so sad, even Madbloom felt his own heart plummet. “There is war; greed; savagery; brutality; murder; chaos; all of which has done one thing to so many… especially the children…”

“They’ve lost their dreams,” Dreamweaver replied. “So many simply seek to survive the day, and lie in fear at night, with no time to sleep, no time to dream of a better life, or even a better world. What if you, on your travels during the pull of the tide, could help change that? Would you?”

“I would,” Madbloom agreed, “the idea that the world outside is full of such sadness, such a loss of hope… I would want to change it. Especially for the children; the children need a reason to get up, to hope, to dream.”

The Dreamweaver smiled. “I could see it in your heart. Your kind always passing tales to their young so that your young can go forward, charged with the knowledge you’ve passed down. Let me show you the world, when there’s nothing left,” she touched Madbloom’s left hand and visions of a land, decimated by war, the soil drenched in blood, filled his eyes. “Now let me show you how we can make it right,” then she touched Madbloom’s right arm. The vision reversed itself, and the people spoke to one another, laughed, enjoyed each other’s company, and the once crimson fields were now rows of apple fields, ripe with hope.

“You now have seen it, the dark,” she held up her left hand, “and the light,” she showed her right hand. “You now share a connection with me. There is one thing I failed to mention, my life force is tied to yours, so long as I live, you will age, very, very, very slowly.”

Madbloom had returned to the surface and the Dreamweaver could see it in my eyes.

“You’ve learned all you can from me, child,” she said, touching my forehead. “Go on, little Suntide, see the world again. Find your destiny.”
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-07-31 at 02:53 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261

BlackDragon

@Tawmis: Awesome!

A little editing, and perfect.
    Now in Ancient Realms

Check the beginning, and change "found my best" to "nest".

Also, I should have sent you Drekekno's link.
    He's born a Gold Dragonwrought Kobold.

But, the scale link should be enough to make him a Warlock (think Fire & Ice)
    With the new Dragon Patron I'm working on:

Click tiny arrow
    I'm did try and make Dragonwrought Kobolds a Race in 5e (Council of Wyrms)

but people seem to have lost interest in helping me build stuff.

See Monster Tweeking in Homebrew.

Again, a very awesome job!
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-31 at 07:08 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I'll send the Suntide story on to my friend, I personally like it, but it's her opinion that really matters at this point.

So I do have to ask, though: Is Madbloom unaware that she's a Genasi, as opposed to a Selkie?

23. - Top - End - #263

@Tawmis: Awesome!
    A little editing, and perfect. Now in [URL=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?591658-Ancient-Realms&p=24062467#post24062467]Ancient Realms[URL]
    Check the beginning, and change "found my best" to "nest".
    Also, I should have sent you Drekekno's link. He's born a Gold Dragonwrought Kobold.
    But, the scale link should be enough to make him a Warlock (think Fire & Ice)
    With the new Dragon Patron I'm working on: I'm did try and make Dragonwrought Kobolds a Race in 5e (Council of Wyrms)
    but people seem to have lost interest in helping me build stuff.
    See Monster Tweeking in Homebrew.
    Again, a very awesome job!
    If I wasn't behind in my own D&D campaign planning (I have a game this Saturday I do for seven people; with next to nothing planned so far...!) and then I do a monthly D&D group I DM for at work (that's due next week, with ZERO planned there) - I'd dip my fingers into try to help with builds; but I have zero experience with that type of stuff and probably do not have the mental capacity to even try to help (and be remotely useful!)

And for Drekekno - you could even change it that he comes up as a Gold Dragon link and that Silverstream recognizes it as one of the "Gold Dragons" bond that she would have been aligned with from the Dragonfall Wars; and taken him in similarly. (The Scale & Spell thing I mention was for the "Dream" spell since you'd mentioned it in the bio).

I'll send the Suntide story on to my friend, I personally like it, but it's her opinion that really matters at this point.
    So I do have to ask, though: Is Madbloom unaware that she's a Genasi, as opposed to a Selkie?
    I am eager to hear her opinion!
    As for Madbloom; if the two characters are in the same campaign/game, you could change Madbloom's background that Suntide is a Water Genasi, rather than a Selkie.

I only made Suntide a Water Gensai in her version; because the character name she picked is the same one I had used for Madbloom (I am not sure if she intended that?)
    Assuming she did - I wrote the character as a Water Gensai rather than a Selkie in her version (since she wanted a "Suntide" Water Gensai)....

If they're not actually tied together, then Madbloom's could continue to be a Selkie.
    (Funny note, Selkie's aren't an official thing in 5e... yet... I remember then in 2ndE... I don't recall if they made it to 3.0/3.5 D&D).
    It was just the first Water Fey I could think of when writing Madbloom's that wasn't "a mermaid/merwoman" (wanted something different). And then I remembered Selkies.
    As I was originally writing Madbloom's it was going to be the Selkie that was the Fey connection; until I remembered Nymphs - and thought, they're even MORE exotic - so that will be Madbloom's Fey connection instead, and the Selkie will just be his friend.

But yeah; if you're playing in the same game, just change Madbloom's "Suntide" friend to a Water Gensai rather than a Selkie.

24. - Top - End - #264

Thank you in advance!
    Slight revision to turn Suntide into a Water Gensai...

================================================== ==========
    “Come meet the Dreamweaver she said,” Madbloom, a Tortle strolling down the path sighed. “She’s really nice, she said!” Tortle stopped and shook his fist. “Oh, she was nice all right! Nice and tricky!”

Tortles like Madbloom were intelligent, turtle-like humanoids who walked on two feet, capable of making and using weapons. All Tortles felt the sense of “The Pull of the Tide” which was an urge to go about and explore the world far and wide, and return perhaps, months or even many years after leaving their homes, with stories of what they’d learned. It was when Madbloom had felt “The Pull of the Tide” that a Water Gensai – a water fey that had some connection to the Plane of Water – had come to him. Her name, according to her, was Suntide. She was beautiful, with her large blue eyes, and hair as golden as the sunset, for which she had been named…

“Come meet the Dreamweaver,” Suntide smiled, leaning on a rock and glancing up playfully at Madbloom. “She’s heard of your kind, but in all her years, has never seen one of you.”

“The Dreamweaver does not want to hear stories,” Suntide giggled. “She just wants to meet one of you. I told her I knew one! A wonderfully nice Tortle, I told her! You wouldn’t deny me? Make me appear as a liar to the Dreamweaver?”

“She’s really nice!” Suntide pulled herself up onto the rocks. Her bare body glistened in the setting sun.

“What?” she looked down and realized her nude body had made him feel odd. “But you do not wear clothes under your shell, right? It’s just your shell you wear.”

“So you will go meet the Dreamweaver!” Suntide began to clap excitedly.

“Wait! No! That’s not what I said!” Madbloom began, but Suntide had already dived into the ocean and swam away.

“What have I gotten myself into? It’ll be nice,” Madbloom huffed, “once I leave for the Pull of the Tide to be free of that crazy Water Gensai.”

“Are you ready?” Suntide’s voice was directly behind him.

Suntide giggled as Madbloom shot her a knowing, scolding look.

“I can hold my breath underwater,” Madbloom began, just then Suntide threw a small vial at him, that he remarkably managed to catch before it shattered on the jagged rocks at his feet. He held up the vial of blue liquid. “What’s this?”

“Drink it!” Suntide smiled broadly.

“You expect me to drink something a fey just hands me from the ocean?” Madbloom eyed her again.

She returned his gaze, her beautiful smile never cracking.

Madbloom’s giant eyes fluttered. “Fine. Fine.” He muttered a series of words and sentences better not left heard by Suntide and popped the top off of the vial and took a drink. Immediately his body felt energized as if he could run for days without needing to slow down.

Suntide extended her hand and Madbloom took hers into his and in that moment, they were moving like a lightning bolt through the skies – piercing the darkest tides of the oceans – down deeper than Madbloom ever thought possible.

They came to a screeching halt before a large, aquatic cave. Several Mermen and Nixie’s patrolled the outside, some mounted on Hippocampus; magnificent aquatic animals with a torso of a horse, whose hooves were fins; and their lower body that of a great fish.

Suntide whispered, “Come,” and Madbloom didn’t even think to wonder how he could still hear her underwater. She led Madbloom by the hand, past several Mermen guards who eyed them as they swam by, hands on their weapons. Eventually they entered a large chamber with a golden seat, decorated in an assortment of sea treasure and shells. Upon it sat the most beautiful humanoid Madbloom had ever seen. She appeared to be an Elf, by the looks of her, with her thin frame, full eyes and pointed ears. But how could she be breathing underwater?

“She’s a Nymph,” Suntide said, as if reading Madbloom’s mind. “She is the Dreamweaver.”

That was over two hundred years ago.

Madbloom has seen generations of Tortles come and go, though having none of his own (suspecting that the Fey Magic he was tied to had something to do with that). He enjoyed his life at first, spreading cheer and love, but as he continued to age, seeing generations die when he was barely aging had begun to wear on him. He was well beyond “old” for a Tortle, so much so that plants now grew on his shell and a hummingbird (which he tried to say he disliked) named “Dart” had made a nest on his shell. It would leave for weeks on end, but Dart always found her way back to Madbloom. He even wondered if it was somehow Suntide…
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-07-31 at 03:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

You know what we don't have a huge amount of here? Clerics. So with that in mind...

(Please don't prioritise this one over people who need help with a 'live' character - I'm doing this purely for the stories and because I really enjoy creating characters!)

Human cleric of Lathander (light domain), cloistered scholar

Notable skills: Medicine, History, Religion

Notes: Quiet and bookish, happiest when serving in the temple library although did also do required stints in the infirmary. Lathander has other plans though - for him to go out and bring hope to those in despair, to stand against the undead and bring light to the dark corners of the world. He is possessed of a quiet faith, although sometimes wonders why he's the one adventuring rather than some of the more physically strong or charismatic brethren he used to know. Many people joke about how he should have been a cleric of Oghma upon meeting him, which he takes with good grace but is privately getting a little tired of.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hey there! I really admire your work and would like to queue up a story about Jafar, a knowledge hungry rock gnome wizard. His parents were clerics, but he wants to heal with his own magic, not some god's. School of Transmutation, a Desert setting, a smoke mephit and someting else?
    Last edited by Madhatter88; 2019-07-31 at 04:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Alright, got a bit of an exotic one for you this time:

An Aetherborn (extremely short-lived creature made by an accident of magic, from Plane Shift: Kaladesh) that was accidentally pulled into the world by a Planar Ranger, now is a Celestial Warlock. I want to really encapsulate their racial hedonism, short-lived aspect, and find a good patron for them, I was thinking something phoenix-thematic. Do you think you can help with this one? If it's too exotic, that's alright.

Continue being your wonderful self. :)

28. - Top - End - #268

You know what we don't have a huge amount of here? Clerics. So with that in mind...
    (Please don't prioritise this one over people who need help with a 'live' character - I'm doing this purely for the stories and because I really enjoy creating characters!)
    Notes: Quiet and bookish, happiest when serving in the temple library although did also do required stints in the infirmary. Lathander has other plans though - for him to go out and bring hope to those in despair, to stand against the undead and bring light to the dark corners of the world. He is possessed of a quiet faith, although sometimes wonders why he's the one adventuring rather than some of the more physically strong or charismatic brethren he used to know. Many people joke about how he should have been a cleric of Oghma upon meeting him, which he takes with good grace but is privately getting a little tired of.
    I believe I am all caught up, so this would be next.
    I've given up writing at work like I was able to do before... Work is completely hectic at the moment. (Lunch? What is this thing called Lunch I used to have? That's a distant memory...)
    So unless I can squeeze some time in during work (lunch, if I manage to get one!) - they may need to wait until tonight. (Which is a bummer, as being able to be creative at work helps me get through the day...)

Quote Originally Posted by Madhatter88 View Post
    Hey there! I really admire your work and would like to queue up a story about Jafar, a knowledge hungry rock gnome wizard. His parents were clerics, but he wants to heal with his own magic, not some god's. School of Transmutation, a Desert setting, a smoke mephit and someting else?
    I'd be happy to take a shot at this!

Alright, got a bit of an exotic one for you this time:
    An Aetherborn (extremely short-lived creature made by an accident of magic, from Plane Shift: Kaladesh) that was accidentally pulled into the world by a Planar Ranger, now is a Celestial Warlock. I want to really encapsulate their racial hedonism, short-lived aspect, and find a good patron for them, I was thinking something phoenix-thematic. Do you think you can help with this one? If it's too exotic, that's alright.
    Continue being your wonderful self. :)
    I've never heard of Aetherborn... so I had to google it just now... so it's a MTG thing? (I've only ever played once...)
    But I found this: http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/aetherborn-kaladesh
    Which I can use as a reference to understand that whole thing... and use as a springboard to come up with something!
    The reason I started this thread was to help people with character backgrounds - and also to challenge myself! So I wholeheartedly accept the challenge - and hope, despite not being familiar, I can give you something you enjoy, and even better, something you can use.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Let me help! https://media.wizards.com/2017/downl...t_Kaladesh.pdf

Free Wizards PDF containing Aetherborn. :D

30. - Top - End - #270

I think I managed to hit all the points you were asking for; and found a way to develop the character's insight into life.
    Also how certain events shaped his life!
    A mystery lies in a photo seen in a book and a girl who he saw... strings for the DM to play with if they wanted to!
    As always, I appreciate feedback!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== =========

Tourn Lightstorm came from a long line of family members who faithfully served as Priests of Lathander known as Dawnbringers. Tourn himself was merely considered what was affectionately known as The Awakened. The Awakened were those that faithfully served Lathander but had not done much to spread the word of their god.

Tourn had done some time in the infirmary helping out where he could; tending to the wounds of others, delivering bad news to family members of the deceased. It was during one such time where he had to deliver the news to a wife and her daughter that her husband had died at the hands of a roving band of Orcs known as The Red Eye. They had ambushed the wagon and her husband stood his ground, though he was only a farmer himself, so that a young woman could escape capture from the Orcs. He had given his life for another which was an extremely honorable way to perish; but the sadness Tourn had seen in the daughter’s eyes ripped his soul in half, each tear that fell from her eyes, siphoning his soul further and further away.

Tourn had always been obsessed with Religion because that is what his family brought him up to focus on. His mother, Neenuh Lightstorm, was a teacher in the city, so she encouraged him to study history; explaining that the mistakes of the past can often prevent them in the present. She also encouraged him, through his study of history, to embrace the diversity of history; to understand not only human history, but to read up on Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, and yes, even the Elves, despite their often superior attitude. Understanding the history and cultures of others would allow Tourn to better interact with them; but the notion of interacting with anyone did not sit well with him.

But Tourn could not shake the look on the young girl’s face; her tears streaking down her rounded cheeks, knowing she would never see her father again. Tourn began to take his interest in medicine much more seriously now, just so he might have the knowledge to save someone’s life and send them home, rather than to the heavens.

Many had seen him in the Great Library that they wondered if he might not be secretly following Oghma, the God of Knowledge, rather than the God of Rebirth. He tolerated the jokes from his family who would tease him, because as soon as he had finished eating, he would rush to his room to continue his studying or go to the Great Library where he would stay until early hours of the morning.

By the age of sixteen Tourn had read a history book that changed his life; passages which included artist depictions in a book, written anonymously simply titled “Against the Undead.” The mysterious tome was written by an unnamed wizard from the Dalelands that appeared after the mage had met their demise; appearing in Great Libraries such as the Sword Coast and Waterdeep. The tome detailed the wizard’s encounters with the undead, including passages speaking with survivors. The wizard had used magic to capture moments physically upon the page; inserting graphic, sometimes gruesome photos on the pages of the book. In one of the pictures he’d seen a young girl; almost identical to the one who had torn his soul apart when he had delivered the news of her father’s passing. His finger ran over the photo, awestruck at the uncanny resemblance between the two.

Tourn heard his mother step inside his room. “You look as if you’ve seen a ghost,” she said with a smile. “Are you feeling well?” She placed her hand on his forehead.

Tourn smiled, “I feel fine mother, thank you,” he replied as closing the book. “I think I want to go out and see the world,” he finally said.

“You mean, outside the city walls to the farms and back?” Tourn’s mother asked, her soft brown eyes looking at him quizzically. He’d never been one for going outside unless it was to the Great Library or the Cathedral.

“No,” Tourn answered, running his hand along the cover of the history book. “I mean, adventuring, for lack of a better word.”

Tourn’s mother sat down shocked. “Adventuring? Why? What can you get out there that you can’t get here?”

Tourn shrugged, “Everyone I know already knows the beauty of Lathander. There is an entire world out there that has been ravished by war, seen loss, seen death; they’ve lost their way, lost their hope, lost their faith. I want to do what Lathander would expect of me; I want to find the lost, the broken, and the hopeless and restore their faith and show them the light.”

Neenuh’s eyes brimmed with tears as she put her hands on her mouth to prevent her from bursting into an uncontrollable fit of tears. “You have your father’s spirit,” she said, thinking of her deceased husband. “He is watching and smiling right now.”

She stood and hugged her son. “Be the storm that brings light to the world…”