New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread VII: LA LA Land

I'm okay with the +2, since that's around the CR of a base Chronotyryn - yes, I know ECL and CR are entirely different measuring scales(didn't one of the Inevitables have a 1/week Earthquake SLA? Encounter-changing on a monster, underwhelming for a PC), but still.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: The LA-assignment thread VII: LA LA Land

Gotta say, my wife is the most extreme arachnophobe I've ever met (and I'm a mild one myself): not sure how she'd react to the picture, to be honest.

Question: how to we deal with monsters that have been updated in later supplements? I've skimmed the comments, but has anyone mentioned that this was updated in DotU?

In some cases there will have been virtually no changes other than formatting, in others the monster gets changed quite a bit...

[edit] Oh, and mark me down for LA -0 no matter which version we are rating. This things does not get anything remotely approaching making up for 12 Aberration HD and a -8 to Int. [/edit]

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Troll in the Playground

I mentioned the DotU one in passing. We only took the updated versions into account when we got there normally so I as not worried about it.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    I mentioned the DotU one in passing. We only took the updated versions into account when we got there normally so I as not worried about it.
    Me too! Me too!

Here's a summary of noteworthy changes in the DotU version:

• Climb speed added (I didn't even notice that it wasn't there in FF)
    • Leg rakes renamed "claws"
    • Impale instead of Constrict (basically the same thing, except less damage)
    • natural armor improved by +3
    • Leg regeneration was removed (but it was really more of a weakness than a strength, so no big loss)
    • Frightful Presence, Pounce, Magic Strike and Scuttling Charge added

The DotU version is obviously better, and Scuttling Charge (non-linear charging) is kind of awesome, but I think it would still be LA -0. You'd still need to reduce the racial Hit Dice a bit before I'd consider LA +0.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2019-11-03 at 09:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

Crawling Head

The combination of meatshield stats, necromancy SLAs, a vorpal bite attack and a flavorful reservoir of power sure sounds appealing. Sadly, 28 undead RHD, terrible move speed and a lack of real focus condemn this to -0 LA. Also, you can't go out in the rain without starting to die.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

You know, at ECL 20 this might just be playable. Probably still earn -0, but with effort functional.
    Harm as needed, fear spell at-will and quickened a few times, wail of the banshee 3/day. Frustratingly limited and scales nowhere, really. But I think it could contribute. 30 Str is not great with 20+ undead RHD as a beatstick, though. Note stat block of +23 to hit at 28 RHD. Napkin math says that's sadly correct.
    You basically live off death, fear, and maybe created undead. Rain damaging you sucks but it looks like 1d6/round, and again harm on self many times.

LA: -0 for the 28 RHD though, that's just too many. Everything is immune fear and death effects, and if isn't you face CR 28 enemies with caster level 20 spell-likes. Caster level 20 at RHD 28 means I think they don't scale at all.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-11-04 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Speling is hard.

7. - Top - End - #1207

-0. Nice minion for a necromancer. Bad as pc.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground

What CR is this? Not going to even add the image for this one?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    What CR is this? Not going to even add the image for this one?
    The image is right there?

CR is 20.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Troll in the Playground

Epic without real spellcasting? -0. You could at least take an epic destiny I suppose...?
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2019-11-04 at 11:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    The image is right there?

CR is 20.
    Somehow I dont' see any image either...at any rate, LA -0 for me too.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I see the image. For those who can't see, Imagine a bloated and flabby gray humanoid head that has root-like veins spreading out from the bottom of its neck and a shark-like mouth.

Get an even bigger golf club and tee it away. -0.
    Last edited by No brains; 2019-11-04 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, there it is. Darn, it's ugly.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Pixie in the Playground

-0. Though it'd be fun to see one using a trenchcoat and stilts to pretend to be a Perfectly Normal Human.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

pretty straight forward -0 LA, I also see the image.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Netbrian View Post
    -0. Though it'd be fun to see one using a trenchcoat and stilts to pretend to be a Perfectly Normal Human.
    Apparently the head is Huge-sized, so that would be hard.

I guess you could pass as a mountain giant, though.

Extended signature!

17. - Top - End - #1217

Goblin

I see the picture, but I wish I didn't. Trigger warning, man!

Yeah, LA -0 for the bloated dead head.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground

Is it even threatening as a monster at CR 20?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

19. - Top - End - #1219

Blech. Nothing to work with here, and the rain damage is more of an insult that anything, what with the massive self healing. LA -0 for Kaneda's head.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Titan in the Playground

Mark me down as not being able to see an image either.

You know, if it didn't have 28 HD, this thing might have some potential: decent ability mods for Str, Int, Wis and Cha; a few special attacks; SLAs that you can quicken by eating heads. The weird water vulnerability doesn't help either.

You are not suited to epic play: easy LA -0.

If you really want to play an undead giant's head, maybe take a look at Deathshead from ToM. A lot less HD to deal with...although 10 is probably still too many...

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Was going to make a post about quickened heals every round being cool with advanced minionmancy then realized that it didn't have the ability to control those undead it was creating or at least not all day. All my plans were based on commoners being easy to fill the heads. Without being able to divert minions to do it though -0 with potential with quickened wale of the banshee, and heal if only it actually controlled those minions. If only it had rebuke. The analysis brought an interesting question does anyone know if coup de gras counts for vorpal? Its the difference between roughly 40 heads per day and accidently killing 760 people to eat those 40 heads.

22. - Top - End - #1222

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Is it even threatening as a monster at CR 20?
    For a generic party? I'd say yes. The high-op side of this board would be immune death and mind-affecting 24/7, but I don't think that's a balance point for a monster manual. Death effect immunity isn't common. Affordable at 20 (Soulfire my favorite), but not trivial.

CR 20 and can sling 2 of wail of the banshee or finger of death per round. Fear as well, but mind blank for the party is very encouraged at 20. This book gives it an amazing version of quicken spell-like ability, without party-wide death effect immunity chance of one or more party members dying is high. Which can be affordably reversed, but I'd count that as spending resources. While it can't control the created undead, it might get some decent ones to follow it out of fear/coercion.

Vorpal on 19-20 as written, but at +23 to hit the odds are quite poor. But yes, I think CR 20 is saner than most in 3.5 monster manuals.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

Crypt Thing

Well, this sure is interesting, if nothing else.

Crypt things are medium-sized undead with unimpressive stats (+6 dex, +4 wis, +2 cha) and 6 RHD. They have a little bit of natural armor and some weak claw attacks. They also get Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat for some reason.

Crypt things have +4 turn resistance, but it only seems to work when within 50 ft. of 'the location or object it guards'. In theory that'd keep you from benefitting from it in a typical adventure, in practice you can just guard a random bauble and put it in your pocket. Either way, turn resistance is too niche to matter much.

The final ability a crypt thing has, and the most hilarious by a wide margin, is Scatter Defilers. Every creature within 30 ft. of the Thing (but no more than it has hit dice) get teleported 10d10 times 10 feet in a random direction (anywhere from 100 to 1000 feet, for those keeping track). It seems like it can't shift people up or down, it's only 1/day, and it isn't all that great if your enemies aren't in a hostile dungeon, but there's hardly a more hilarious way for a DM to split the party.

Anyway, -0 LA: the teleportation shenanigans are fun but not useful.

Extended signature!

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does Scatter Defilers just outright disperse swarms, mobs, and hiveminds?

Could be useful for a plague bearing Thrallherd build.

Still -0 for what appears to be some old guy with a towel over him straining on the throne.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ogre in the Playground

You could take levels in bard with Perform (Storytelling) and inspire your allies with tales from the crypt.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

26. - Top - End - #1226

In a low threat dungeon for a low level low op this is a great party splitter to force each pc to grasp with its weaknesses and get creative. And then hopefully understand their allies better and how they can work together to compliment each other and have the whole be greater than the sum of its parts.

As a PC it is a -0.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    You could take levels in bard with Perform (Storytelling) and inspire your allies with tales from the crypt.
    This seems like the most reasonable build for the Crypt Thing Keeper!

-0 LA, I would be willing to move it to +0 if it was given perform skill, bardic Knowledge, and Bardic Music.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    This seems like the most reasonable build for the Crypt Thing Keeper!

-0 LA, I would be willing to move it to +0 if it was given perform skill, bardic Knowledge, and Bardic Music.
    Eh, for +0, you would also need Skill Focus: Groaner Puns.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Eh, for +0, you would also need Skill Focus: Groaner Puns.
    is that like a database that has all of Groaner's Puns?

30. - Top - End - #1230

MindFlayer

Firm -0, no real redeeming features.

+6 Dex is nice, until you realize once you pay for weapon finesse -3 BAB means you still aren't good at anything. 2 1d6 attacks, +0 str, and at 6 RHD beatsticks are getting iteratives.
    2+Int skills and +0 int, no real abilities but teleport everyone randomly once a day.

Extreme case of undead: make it better with more hd padding.