Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 147
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    “You’ll be wanting the upstairs room” the barkeeper says when he sees you. The old human seems to have decided that there is no reason for a dwarf to be in his establishment unless in response to the advert “Give the word to the lad and he’ll tie your pony or whatever up round back.” By “the lad” he seems to be referring to the young halfling you can see running drinks out to tables.

    When ascend the awkward stairs to the upper room, the dry and creaking steps just slightly too high to be comfortable, you find yourself in a surprisingly well appointed room, a large and well-made looking table is surrounded a matching set of handsome (if a little worn) chairs, clearly a relic of the town’s past days of relevance. The walls are decorated with a number of framed oddities, a broken sword, a handful of coins, a boar’s head and similar. The only light is the fading sun through an un-shuttered window but an unlit lamp, again an old but reasonably good one, sits at one end of the table.

    Sat on the middle of the table is a large glass bottle labelled (in common) “Fireflew Mountain Reserve” with a rather silly looking “Jolly dwarf” on the label, along with a set of small pewter spirit cups (smaller than tankards but certainly larger than those thimbles human’s drink from). A card reading (In accurate if formally phrased and stiffly written dwarven) “My welcome honoured dwarves, I thank you for your patience and offer you refreshment.”

    Spoiler: Should you take a drink
    Show
    Its perfectly reasonable and certainly a real dwarven distillation, but about 10 years younger than ideal and even then wouldn’t be anything special.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-16 at 08:02 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Muir would decline the offered help from the halfling. "I have a policy of walking everywhere I go. I like to keep my feet on the earth. It helps remind me where I am from. And where I am bound." The innkeeper's presumption made him stroke his beard in a disproving manner as he followed directions into the upstairs room. Finding the liquor there, he pours himself a modest glass and takes to sipping it with a smile. Though their patron didn't have much in the way of taste for dwarven liquor, any taste of home was to be enjoyed fully.
    The Bear is Back.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Armadin smirks at the offer, and Muir's response

    "Aye laddie. We enjoy a brisk walking pace, bu than' ye for yer offer."

    Armadin also pours himself a drink, and takes a hearty gulp, pulling a slightly disappointed face after tasting it.

    "It's not bad. But it's not good either is it? I have tasted worse though..." he says to his companions.
    Last edited by ShadowImmor; 2019-07-10 at 03:48 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Awrin climbs the steps carrying a small satched stuffed with loosely bound books. (Were anyone to peer inside, they'd see they're mostly copies, and written by him.) He drops the bag by a chair and regards the bottle.

    "A bit condescending, though, isn't it? That this is all we'd drink? There's probably decent wine in this region; they could just offer that." He thinks about calling downstairs, then regards Muir and Armadin silently for a moment before sighing and pouring a glass of Jolly Dwarf.

    After a long silence, he remarks. "I mean, I appreciate the sentiment, they're trying to make the Dwarves feel at home. But it'll take a lot more than a bottle to make that happen, so really they should just treat us as any other guests and not worry about the rest of it. Awrin Angrung, by the way." He offers a hand to the others.
    Last edited by infomatic; 2019-07-11 at 10:25 PM.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel


  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Felgar Stoneheart, Earth-mover

    The dwarf watched the inn from across the street, frowning to himself. It had been a fairly long journey from Valhra, but he was still uncomfortable with the world at large. He didn’t necessarily miss the town; he missed the familiarity of it ... the comfort of known things. Here, he felt like a stranger, and it created a general resentment for those not of his kin.

    A rumbling murmur caught his attention and Felgar blinked. Hmmm? What’s that? Dwarves? Really? Hunh ... He pushed away his musings and focused on the inn, just in time to see two dwarves enter. Blinking, Felgar watched for a bit longer and saw another dwarf go in. With a cleansing exhale, the earth master walked across the street and stepped inside. He just caught a glimpse of the last dwarf heading upstairs. The human behind the counter muttered something seemingly condescending and nodded to the stairs, but Felgar was already climbing them.

    Entering the room, Felgar notes three other dwarves, armed and armored, partaking of a bottle of wine... presumably of dwarven make, if that ridiculous label was an indicator. He paused to scan the room with his milky-white eyes, then sat down at an open spot. He started at the cups for a moment, then at the others, cocking his head to the side for a moment as if listening to something. Then he turned his eerie gaze to each of the others.

    ”I am Felgar Stoneheart, Earth Journeyman. Who are you? And where is our patron?”

    Joining the party!
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 HP 54 Init +8 Move 20’
    F +11 R +12 W +7
    Weapon: Earth blast (+8 / 3d6+7); Warhammer (+5 / 1d8)
    Infusions: Extended Range (F/1B); Pushing (S/2B+); Entangling (S/2B)
    Talents: Geokinesis (0B); Earth Climb (0B); Tremorsense (1B+); Burn: 0/7
    Key skills: Perception +18; UMD +8; Dungeoneering +8; S. Motive +2; Heal +6
    Effect: DR 3/adaman
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Muir Mortelblud, Harbinger of the Mortelblud clan and paladin of our people. Muir smiles small, as though it takes effort to move the grey skin of his face in an upward motion. He's clad head to toe in steel, with a massive two-handed hammer over his back. He wonders if the other dwarves have heard of his honorable clan, or if they have heard of the curse of stone that bought them freedom from their former clan name. Either way, Muir smiles at his kin and sips at the liquor. Our patron seems to be delayed, unfortunately. Punctuality is apparently not a priority. This is to be noted and accounted for. As far as condescending, I agree but will wait until we have met him to render final judgement.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2019-07-11 at 11:36 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Armadin frowns.

    "Aye, ye good look on it as condescending, or ye could look on it as an honest attempt to put us at ease, if a little misguided. I don't think saying our patron is condescending just because they can't get proper Dwarven drinks here is really a fair assessment."

    He takes another swig of the drink, then takes his warhammer off his back and places it on the ground next to him. Emblazoned on it, is the symbol of one of the Ancestors, Regnar the Stormreader, and Founder of the House Stormreader.

    "Either way, I'm Armadin, of the House Stormreader, Cleric of Regnar. It's good to meet you all. Hopefully out patron will be along soon."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    After an interval that risks bordering on the rude you hear the sound of hooves outside.
    Spoiler: looking out the window
    Show
    A squat wagon with a wooden roof, pulled by a pair of small, squat, powerful ponies has pulled up outside, you've missed the driver.

    You hear the sound of running feet, including what sounds like at least one partial stumble, and a human clutching a satchel steps into the room. He’s tall, even by lanky standards of human men, but has the build of someone who eats little and exercises less. He’s dressed in a comfortable and modern style, looking mostly like a scribe but with solid boots and a broad-brimmed hat. Age-wise, he looks to be a young adult, perhaps in his late 20s, with his hair tied back in the plat that denotes him as a member of the Morwhinian aristocracy and a wispy, immature, attempt at beard on his chin.

    Spoiler: Morwhin
    Show
    Morwhin was a member of the The Holy Alliance and, after much debate, gained over-lordship of the semi-independent city-state that was formed in Whitespire after it’s liberation. The King of Morwhin appoints the Lord of Whitespire but the Lord of Whitespire is answerable to a council of both Whitespire citizens and delegates from the other Alliance members. It is a very stratified and humano-centric society with social class being immutable. Non-humans are ineligible for full citizenship, although they have a number of dwarven enclaves that are treated with reasonable levels of respect. They are suspicious of arcane magic, limiting it to licenced practitioners in the higher social classes.


    He offers a formal greeting in a very stiff and over-rehearsed tone. This is clearly not a man who actually speak dwarven. “Greetings noble children of the mountains deep. My name is Herbert VasWindermere. May your ancestors look well upon our meeting.”

    Herbert, now sat at the head of the table, lights the lamp.

    "I am, by profession, an archivist and archaeologist. I have recently found documents that indicate the location of an ancient and abandoned Dwarven settlement. I feel that it is only appropriate that I ask that Dwarves acompany me to uncover its secrets."

    Spoiler: Sense Motive 15
    Show
    He isn't lying, but there is certainly more to this. Whatever it is, he is actively afraid.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-12 at 07:37 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Felgar Stoneheart, Earth-mover

    Felgar nodded to the two dwarves who spoke, when a noise drew attention outside. He glanced at the others but did not rise from his seat. He waited until the door opened and the lanky human came running in. He watched him in stony silence as the man first butchered his tongue, then switched into the common trade language of non-dwarves. He blinked as the man spoke in common, not answering. Instead he just stared.


    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 HP 54 Init +8 Move 20’
    F +11 R +12 W +7
    Weapon: Earth blast (+8 / 3d6+7); Warhammer (+5 / 1d8)
    Infusions: Extended Range (F/1B); Pushing (S/2B+); Entangling (S/2B)
    Talents: Geokinesis (0B); Earth Climb (0B); Tremorsense (1B+); Burn: 0/7
    Key skills: Perception +18; UMD +8; Dungeoneering +8; S. Motive +2; Heal +6
    Effect: DR 3/adaman
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Awrin nods slowly and plucks a journal from his own bag, as if meaning to compare notes. He hadn't been certain about responding to the summons, but this seemed worthwhile after all. But why did the request specify battle-tested dwarves?

    He leans forward and speaks in common. "You mean an undiscovered settlement, then? Not the fort over in the … Pelisso, I think? That's the Bissel name for it; I'm not sure what that swamp is called locally."
    Last edited by infomatic; 2019-07-12 at 09:59 AM.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel


  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    "Undiscovered? Ah, perhaps better to say lost?" He's clutching his satchel very tightly, clearly comparing notes isn't on the table just yet. "Its not near here in any case, although we will have to head that way. The journey will by necessity be through some uncivilised terrain and this is as far along as I could arrange to meet people."
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-12 at 10:15 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    What is it that has you so fearful of this journey, Master Vas Windmere? I can tell that you are not, as our race puts it, "putting all the ore on the forge". Anything you leave out could lead to our failure, and if I believe you are setting us up for failure, you will not have my hammer on your excursion. Be plain about the dangers we may face. Muir keeps a diplomatic tone, working hard to not offend the patron, but also to get to the heart of the matter.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy roll- (1d20+8)[27]
    The Bear is Back.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Herbert pales a little and pours himself a cup of the liqor, sips it and pulls a face like he was just hit by a hammer. “I hope that you will accept my apologies for what I am about to relate. I appreciate that it may be upsetting.

    I am assistant to the chief scribe of the Department of History at Bertraholst, the Royal College of Morwhin. For the last five years I have been working with the chief scribe in Whitespire. When Whitespire was liberated a number of surprising things were discovered, it seems the Hobgoblins took more care of the city than we expected and even kept some of its institutions and traditions in place. Pivotal to our business however is the fact that they maintained the Imperial Library. Its remarkable, text thought lost preserved, even duplicated, translated and made available for the city’s elite to study in many cases.

    You must understand that the Imperial Library is a vast building, many floors deep. Even now the full archive is not complete, in part because there are some specialised collections guarded by complex mechanical and magical traps, concealed by illusions or folded away into the ethereal plane.”
    He reaches into his satchel and, with the air of one picking up something terrifying, pulls out a sheaf of papers. “About 14 months ago I was fortunate enough to uncover a hidden chamber which transpired to contain a store of ancient field reports for The Long Eye, the empire’s old spy network. Truly, if it was not for my presence when the door was opened I would never have been allowed to know about it and I swear it was my braid that saved me from an unfortunate “accident” once we established what was inside.

    You must understand, the empire had gone to war twice with the High Kings already, not to mentions hundreds of trade negotiations, and many dozens of small skirmishes. The Dwarves were the established power in this part of the world and power seldom welcomes challengers and the Dwarves of that time were deeply secretive to the point where it is believed that no non-dwarf ever even set eye upon their capitol of The High Kings, much less known it location. When the Empress Vulvillia was approached by an envoy of The High Kings for large shipments of what seemed like war materials, healing reagents, war-magic scrolls and wands, even raw iron and timber she wasn’t even then aware that they had been at war. I don’t know if you are aware that these shipments were made, they aren’t mentioned in any history I am aware of, in exchange for certain trade and territorial access agreements, but nearly forty shipements were sent to Kurax and, while the High Kings took every precaution to ensure this was not the case”
    He pauses here and swallows visible, the next words are delivered at the speed of a crossbow bolt, “several were followed.

    I won’t go into details, but it seems that agents would shadow the caravan a certain distance, then arrange for agents to be in place to follow the next caravan when it passed the point they stopped at. From this information, and comments made by the caravan leaders, The Long Eye was able to locate Kurax and, on the 31st caravan, an agent set their eyes on this.” He peels the first sheet out of the sheaf of papers. “This is a copy, well, they are all copies, but the annotation states it is a side gate to ‘An Fortress city, these being a wholey unworthy description, of the Dwarfes, this likewise most certainly Kuracks’. ” He puts the sheet of paper down. The weight and translucency of the paper are strange, as if designed for tracing. It shows what appears to be a statue of a traditional dwarven figure, shield and axe at his sides, ready for action. Carved into the wall behind him, accessible between his legs, are a pair of double doors which are depicted as just a little wider than the Ox cart.

    “When these papers came to light there was a special meeting of the inner council of Whitespire, for you see all members of The Holy Alliance were, at one time, part of The Imperium Septus and derive their authority from at least one of its institutions. This document, and these reports, also copies, constitute a violation Empress Vulvillia’s treaty, and dozens of others agreements with The High Kings. The council debated for days over which clans to approach or even if to do so at all. We do not know why Kurax fell and there are, it is believed, many prominent members of powerful Clans that would view the existence of these documents as a slight, a dishonouring of a treaty that The Holy Alliance powers are the inheritors of. The lawyers had a lot of fun arguing that, but it was decided that human interpretations of law were, at best, a rough guide of what to expect. In the end, be it for fear of dwarven anger or a desire not to see further unity between the Clans, it was universally decided to keep these documents secret. Officially, these documents and all copies thereof were ordered returned and the room they were found in sealed.”

    Herbert seems to have started to lose his composure at this. “I cannot accept that. I am, more than anything, a historian. I don’t exist to bury the truth! I cannot imagine hiding this away, leaving such secrets unexplored. Is not the fate of Kurax not the 6th of Percville DeMorte 7 Seminal Mysteries? More important to our understanding of history than The Mutation of The Kuran Gui Expedition? Second only to The Birth of The First Man itself?

    But, I ask you to understand this too, I am acting against the laws of my own kingdom and the whole of The Sacred Alliance in doing this. These documents are illegal and when it is discovered I have them, if I am very lucky and my family feels compelled to intercede on my behalf the Regent might commit me to life under house arrest.”
    He sounds doubtful. “Otherwise, the Eternal Regency looks very poorly on treasonable behaviour. I also ask you to forgive me, that I can only bring this to you in such a tainted state. I know accepting the products of dishonest or unethical practice is offensive to many Dwarves and I don’t mean to impugn your honour by my actions. It is my hope that we, as a group, can follow these reports to the location of Kurax and, upon locating it, allow the triumph of successful venture to shame the Regent into claiming responsibility.”

    Some skillchecks for fluff:

    Spoiler: Knowledge Religion/Local/History 15
    Show
    He seems to be modeling his intended defense on the concept of Deus Dicta. Deus Dicta is a concept held by several human societies that states that, as the gods are the ultimate arbiters of morality and are also the source of miraculous effects that particularly unlikely or miraculous events can be considered acceptable even if illegal or against tradition, as they are clearly divinely inspired. It can be crudely summarised that if something is impressive enough it should be allowed, even if it isn’t legal or traditional. It has mostly been used to smoothe over legal problems like not punishing someone for solving a problem in a way that the state minsters forbade them from trying or that violates traditional wisdom, to justify acceding to the demands of particularly successful rebels or to legitimise usurpations as legitimate succession of power.


    Spoiler: Knowledge History 10
    Show
    An expedition lead by Kuran Gui in the early-mid period of the Imperium Septus vanished off the shores of Darlu Mathti. Six years later a follow up expedition had found the crew had been transformed into the monstrous human-serpent hybrids that still haunt those jungles. No one knows why or how.


    Spoiler: Knowledge Religion 10
    Show
    For all that they revere gods, there is no deity that claims to have created humankind. Their ultimate origin is a divine mystery occluded, allegedly, from even the various gods of Knowledge.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    ((Sense motive - (1d20+10)[28]))

    ((Knowledge - History - (1d20+1)[16]))

    ((Knowledge - History - (1d20+1)[7]))

    ((Knowledge - Religion - (1d20+1)[9]))

    Armadin peeks out the window when he hears the noise, but then quickly turns his full attention to the young human.

    "I appreciate yer candour in this matter. Master VasWindmere. I too think this knowledge shouldn't have been lost, and if you're nation has done something illegal, it should be exposed to right the wrongs done."

    He smiles.

    "I'll join ye, after all, to find this settlement would be an incredible story ta tell..."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Awrin drains his glass and pours another Jolly Dwarf, and says nothing for a long moment.

    "For what it's worth, I think your leaders were right in not telling the clans," he says. "If the existence of Kurax were even suspected, every chieftain within a thousand miles would claim lineage to the High King and send spies to find it, and then troops to seize it. There'd be fighting for years.

    "And maybe for nothing. These records are ancient; the city could have been swallowed up long ago … though I admit that's not likely. If something's there, best find out what it is."
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel


  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Felgar Stoneheart, Earth-mover

    Felgar sat motionless as the human spoke, eyes fixed on the empty mug in front of him. Once the human finished, the others started responding. Felgar frowned and glanced around the table before speaking in the only true tongue. ”Why are you speaking the trade tongue? Why would someone send for dwarves then speak to us like common dogs? What does he say that has you so interested?”

    Felgar peered at the others, glancing at the human only briefly to see if he understood the words.

    Part of Felgar’s charm ... I promise to not make this difficult the entire game
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 HP 54 Init +8 Move 20’
    F +11 R +12 W +7
    Weapon: Earth blast (+8 / 3d6+7); Warhammer (+5 / 1d8)
    Infusions: Extended Range (F/1B); Pushing (S/2B+); Entangling (S/2B)
    Talents: Geokinesis (0B); Earth Climb (0B); Tremorsense (1B+); Burn: 0/7
    Key skills: Perception +18; UMD +8; Dungeoneering +8; S. Motive +2; Heal +6
    Effect: DR 3/adaman
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-07-14 at 04:02 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    "Well, you already heard his Dwarven," Awrin says with a shrug — a mannerism he picked up on his travels, as Dwarves don't really have enough neck to make a shrug very meaningful. "If he tried to say all of that in the Old Tongue we'd be here all season.


    "The gist is, he thinks — he thinks — his kingdom has found the location of Kurax but is frightened of admitting it to the clans, so they're content to leaving it a secret. He wants us to find it instead."
    Last edited by infomatic; 2019-07-15 at 07:34 PM.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel


  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Muir swirls his glass a few times before taking a big drink. Kurax. Every dwarf on or in the good earth would want to know of it. To move to it. To own a piece of it. And many would die in the attempt. Unless they found it first and made sure it was handled with honor and the rites of succession were properly applied...

    It may not be an honorable way to come across the information, but we cannot ignore this. This discovery must be verified, explored, and then handled. Delicately. I will go to make sure our people are honored and the recovery of the city is done judiciously.
    The Bear is Back.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    His releif is both visable and palpable. "Very well. If you are all in agreement then we have an initial decision to make."

    I have here the reports, as well as a map showing a route from the Bagros of the abandoned mine nearby. This report from the local surveyers confirms it has an enterance with the aproprite markings of a Ruthgos. We can then link up with the landmarks I have indicated in report seven and follow the path from there.

    Alternatively we can try a surface passage, approximating the route, and then try and go to The Deeps. Kurax is deffinatively in The Deeps by the way, the reports make that clear. Of course, my own predicament makes surface travel, difficult. And approximating Deep journeys on the surface it tricky.

    Almost makes you wonder if it has a Ruthgos.


    Spoiler: Terminology
    Show
    :
    Bagros and Ruthgos: Lit "Lower Door" and "Sun Door". Some Dwarven settlements connect to The Deeps (think Underdark but not at a consistent depth). By ancient dwarven proclamation these are required to have one, and only one, fortified enterance to The Deeps. These settlements also are required to have a large fortified door onto the surface called a Ruthgos or "Sun Door" to act as both an emergancy exit for the settlement and to prevent the settlement being used as a route to the surface by the things that occupy The Deeps. Both of these doors are large enough for entire collums of Dwarven infantry to pass through, so Herbert's wagon should be fine.


    Knowledge Geography, History or Dungeoneering please. Bardic Knowledge will also do.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-16 at 02:07 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder]

    ((Roll History - (1d20+1)[10]))

    Armadin smiles, ignoring any dwarves who are being cynical about the whole situation.

    "I think it's a good plan laddie. I believe going through the deeps would be a better option. Though do ye have any way to see in the dark? Or were ye planning on relying on torches?"

    He begins to look somewhat excited about the prospect of delving deep into dwarven history.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Felgar Stoneheart, Earth-mover

    Felgar stared at Arwin for a moment in silence, still stoic in the face of the legend of Kurax. When the others answered the human in the trade tongue, Felgar openly scowled. It wasn’t the words but the tone that irked him. If this man represented a foreign government content with withholding crucial information from the Clans - information that was their birthright - then Felgar could see little reason to be happy about this.

    Of course, this man seemed to be operating at odds with his own people, and was offering the fabled lost city of the High Kings. He even sought out dwarves to help navigate the path, find the lost fortress, unlock its secrets ...

    Felgar frowned again as a thought struck him. He leaned back, mind racin with suspicions, eyeing the human the whole time. He muttered in dwarven, ”If you need fancy, cozy up to an elf; if you desire whimsy, coddle a halfling. If you seek intrigue, converse with a human. But if you wish to keep a secret, tell a dwarf...”

    Dungeoneering - (1d20+8)[22]
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 HP 54 Init +8 Move 20’
    F +11 R +12 W +7
    Weapon: Earth blast (+8 / 3d6+7); Warhammer (+5 / 1d8)
    Infusions: Extended Range (F/1B); Pushing (S/2B+); Entangling (S/2B)
    Talents: Geokinesis (0B); Earth Climb (0B); Tremorsense (1B+); Burn: 0/7
    Key skills: Perception +18; UMD +8; Dungeoneering +8; S. Motive +2; Heal +6
    Effect: DR 3/adaman
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Muir stands and begins to pace, armor clinking as he ponders the new information. I think it best we pursue the Bagros in the Deeps. My heart yearns for cool air and the comfortable darkness away from the sun. It may be my ancestors are guiding me. Guiding us. Yes, I say we head underground and take the more sure root. We could end up chasing out tails looking for the Ruthgos.

    He returns to his seat. I will have to purchase rations for the journey. I suggest we all buy as much as we can carry. You never know how long you may end up in the Deeps, despite what you've planned.
    The Bear is Back.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Armadin looks to his dwarven brethren.

    "Come on lads, don't ye want ta be the ones that find Kurax?! Do ye want ta sit on your laurels for the rest of ye lives, or do ye want ta take a chance at glory? My ancestor, Regnar didn't sit back when the opportunity for glory and honour knocked on his door, and neither should we. We have the chance to right a huge wrong against our people AND find this lost city, can ye think of anything more worthy we could do with out lives?!?"

    He swells up as he speaks, meaning to be encouraging and carousing. ((OoC: Roll for being inspirational - (1d20)[5]))

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowImmor View Post
    ((Roll History - [roll0]))
    Spoiler: Armadin
    Show
    You don't recall much pertinent, but there is a reference to "a great dry ridge" at one point. Possibly a coincidence, but there was a large battle between Clan Blackstone and a the Drow Household KulPatri about 200 years ago that Blackstone call "The Battle of Dry Ridge". The details elude you however.


    Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post

    [roll0]
    Spoiler: Felgar
    Show
    Everyone assumes stone is permanent, even most dwarves. You know better. Some of these landmarks, such as "The fence of stalagmites, being at an estimate 100 yards high" are ok, but others, such as the two waterfalls described, are going to be very mis-leading. Have you any idea how far a waterfall can move in a hundred years? And these instructions are more than ten times that old.

    Then there are at least five locations that, if not demolished when abandoned (assuming no dwarf lives there now) are exactly the sort of place that gets taken over by goblins, Dwergar, Derro or other unspeakables. The caravans used them as resupply depots, you are going to have to treat them as enemy camps. Then there's the fact that so much of this route passes by water, meaning that in the absence or regular travel anything might have moved in. Fortunately the scouts did pay some attention to minerology and you can make some rough estimates as to most of the changes.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Awrin nods in agreement. "If the goal is to keep this venture secret from your masters, the Bagros entrance would also seem to be the better choice. We won't know until we try, of course,"he says.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    Take 10 on Dungeoneering and History for 22 and 24

    Roll for Know (geo): (1d20+4)[6]

    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel


  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Quote Originally Posted by infomatic View Post
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    Take 10 on Dungeoneering and History for 22 and 24

    Roll for Know (geo): [roll0]

    Spoiler: Dungeoneering & History:(Also read Felgar's)
    Show
    You agree completely with Felgar, but your knowledge History result augments it. The Blackstone clan still control the first resupply depot but use it as a a border fort (you know them by their names, handily marked down by the scribe, but don't know where they are.) A border fort for their territory on the far side, meaning you are going to have to pass through contested territory. No unified group holds the area and Blackstone run patrols. Your route takes you out of their territory at Drypass, the site of a battle where they broke the Drow Household KulPatri leaving each of its keeps in the hands of a successor house. The area is likely dangerous therefore. The second and third depots were destroyed in battle during the last Great Drow Empire, about 300 years ago (last as in, most recent. This one lasted about 80 years total). The territory has not been reclaimed, so you have no idea what controls it. The Fourth Depo is listed as being marked with a sygil that was once used by Clan Whitegold. Clan Whitegold was split into two parts 600 years ago, half becoming Dwergar and half renaming themselves Brokengold, a clan with eight different chunks of territory and a real Xenophobic and proud streak, by dwarven standards. You can't work out whose territory it would fall in. The last Depot is literally called "Black Casm Bridge Depot", you have never heard of it.


    Spoiler: Geography:
    Show
    Wait, so Kurax is under your favourite pub back home? That can't be right, you've played cards in their basement too often, you'd have seen it.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-19 at 09:15 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Muir went into town to buy supplies. He purchased much more than most could carry, trusting his magically enhanced strength to carry enough supplies to last a month in the field without any assistance from hunting or resupply.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ready to go!
    The Bear is Back.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Felgar Stoneheart, Earth-mover

    Felgar was silent as the others said their last piece. He stared unblinkingly at the human, milky white eyes boring a hole through the man - unable or unwilling to converse in the common tongue as the others seemed inclined to do. It was hard to tell if his focus was truly outward or inward as he waited for the meeting to come to an end. The other dwarves didn't seem to have much more to add, and many appeared on the verge of rising. Felgor appeared ready to leave when everyone else was.

    Didn't want to jump ahead too far, just in case there was a final comment from the humie, or contracts to sign, etc. Felgor will wait until the group is alone and away from the room to speak with his companions
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 HP 54 Init +8 Move 20’
    F +11 R +12 W +7
    Weapon: Earth blast (+8 / 3d6+7); Warhammer (+5 / 1d8)
    Infusions: Extended Range (F/1B); Pushing (S/2B+); Entangling (S/2B)
    Talents: Geokinesis (0B); Earth Climb (0B); Tremorsense (1B+); Burn: 0/7
    Key skills: Perception +18; UMD +8; Dungeoneering +8; S. Motive +2; Heal +6
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    The meeting breaks up and it is agreed you will set off at first light. Herbert insists he has sufficient means to deal with seeing rec and also makes it clear that, besides a written account he has no interest in anything you find. He leaves the application of Dwarven law on Deeps salvage and how it applies to cities as an exercise for the party.

    OOC: Any humieless conversation can happen now or we can move on.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-23 at 01:50 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Armadin smiles at his companions.

    "I think we should do as the lad said and get some supplies together, meet at crack of dawn. Unless ye have anything else ye want to discuss? Though I could just prepare the tha' allows me to create food and water for us. It should produce plenty of food and drink to sustain us, that way we can carry other supplies as needed such as dungeoneering gear, pitons, ropes and the like."

    He looks to them to see what they believe to be best.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •