New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Dishonored (Stealth Dad Simulator)

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I, Zodi, am done the mission. Once the videos have caught up I want someone to like, fully lay out how this one is SUPPOSED to go, because this was the easiest mission by far (and knowing Waverly would have gone to the cellar with me as I expected means I must have the Outsider's luck since had I done it correctly it really would have been that simple huh?).

Man, the game really cut me a break here huh.
    Okay, so... This game does allow for multiple paths to be taken, and you happened to luck into the easiest path to finding out who she is. But there's a few other ways this can go down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Firstly, how you got into the building is perfectly valid. However it's also possible to simply walk up to the front door, present an invitation, and be allowed in. (Having your invitation on you also keeps you from being questioned by the guards later if you stay in the mansion too long). You can get this invitation from the art dealer's vault in an earlier mission, or you can find one blown away from another house guest elsewhere in the party mission. You can also sign a guest book if you like, which changes some notes you find later on in the game.

Once inside, you need to determine A) who your target Lady Boyle is, and B) what color costume they're wearing (both are randomized). This partly involves putting hints together from the partygoers; Miss White basically tells you the colors for all 3 Boyle women instantly. Then you can sneak upstairs and read their diaries to try and figure out which Boyle woman is the Lord Regent's mistress. (apparently there's a love letter to the "real" Lady Boyle in her room, but I don't remember it).

The diaries are also rather important for the nonlethal elimination method. Part of the method involves talking with the Boyle woman and convincing her to talk to you in private. The diaries show you how to manipulate them into doing so; Waverly is paranoid and responds to being told someone wants her dead. Esma has a strong sexual appetite and responds to small talk and advances. Lydia loves music and will respond to... well, musical topics, I assume. (Haven't seen Lydia as the target, as of yet)

Then, you can go back down to the party and talk to your particular playthrough's Lady Boyle and convince her to enter a vulnerable position with you. (Esma takes you to her room or the cellar, Waverly takes you to the cellar, Lydia takes you to the music room) Whichever of the three you get, you can follow to their area and kill them or knock them out or what have you.

If you raise the alarm, all 3 of the Boyles will hide in Waverly's room, and you can kill them there. If you eliminate all three of the sisters, the game counts that as eliminating Lady Boyle through simple process of elimination (though obviously this is a higher chaos option). I would assume that if you kill Lady Boyle and then later find out which one was the "real" one that would count as eliminating her, but I'm not sure how we would test that.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently all 3 of the Ladies Boyle are supposed to be Lord Boyle's daughters, even though the game states one of them is his widow.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-09-27 at 05:55 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    I remember swapping weapons and shooting Shaw with a sleep dart, but I forgot if I did use time stop or not. The guards reactions are the same for some weird reason.

"Another patron dead."
    Shaw: *snores*

I also do remember that I once used time stop, teleported behind shaw, choked him, and teleported back. Why duel when you have magic powers?
    I tested various approaches. (For science!)
    You can sleep dart him, with or without time stop. The port'n'choke needs precise movement to finish it in a single time top because the seconds will attack you if you are not back on your position when it ends. (You could also kill or tranquilize them.) Using magic in front of them leads to exclamations of "Curse the Outsider!" and "Witchcraft!", but otherwise they seem to be completely legal in a duel. Running up to him for a stabbing is however too ungentlemanly.
    I wanted to try some possession shenanigans, but then noticed I had not enough runes. So I looked online for something and found this rather elegant solution:

Spoiler
    Show

If you are not in the mood for a duel, you can also just shoot Shaw were he stands or drop a grenade on him. The game laconically comments: "The pistol duel with Lord Shaw was a success, sort of. Nevermind the mess." You also end up with a smaller reward from Pendleton.

On my current non-lethal run I honestly forgot that you could just tranquilize him and went "**** you, Pendleton. Get yourself into a duel and expect me to sort it out for you? I don't think so." The letter remained in my pocket.

I also did not unterstand why Pendlton is called the challenger, when this affair started because he insulted Shaw's wife. From my understanding, Shaw would have had to challenge him to restore his honor.

Where did you find a safe place to teleport?

I'm glad I messed up the easiest one for Excitement purposes

I kinda figured that. I imagine it'd be hard to remove all three Boyles without disrupting the party?
    You can blink up from the ground or across from the neighbouring building.
    Before I figured out how to lure away the target Boyle, I strangled her in the bathroom and carried her out during a time stop.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    [SPOILER]Firstly, how you got into the building is perfectly valid. However it's also possible to simply walk up to the front door, present an invitation, and be allowed in. (Having your invitation on you also keeps you from being questioned by the guards later if you stay in the mansion too long). You can get this invitation from the art dealer's vault in an earlier mission, or you can find one blown away from another house guest elsewhere in the party mission. You can also sign a guest book if you like, which changes some notes you find later on in the game.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently all 3 of the Ladies Boyle are supposed to be Lord Boyle's daughters, even though the game states one of them is his widow.
    Fun fact: If you cleared his safe, you can find the art dealer outside the front door. He can't get in because he seems to have misplaced his invitation.
    Huh, never noticed the game indentifies one as his widow. Why would this make her sisters also Lady Boyle?

The mission design is indeed a bit weird here. Identifying the correct Lady Boyle is not that hard, either through the conversations or by snooping around their rooms. The bigger challenge is to lure her away from the party for a low chaos solution. The hints for the correct approach have to be pieced together from more subtle clues in their respective diaries or over-heared party conversations. But then you only get one chance to convince her, so it seems to encourage a reload if the player intends to go this route. I think other games would give you more tries and some prompt à la "I need to find a more convincing argument.".
    Last edited by Iruka; 2019-09-30 at 03:55 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, this is a bit of a breather mission, which is not too bad. It's good to slow down the difficulty from time to time and it is one of the missions with higher number of possibilities/branches (I think the fact that the target is random also contributes to it being simpler/easier, as there are more ways it could go).

Also, the low chaos route only becomes available after you find out which one is your target, if I remember correctly.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Colossus in the Playground

Today's late episode is brought to you by the letter "staying up too late to watch Azumanga Daioh".

Zodi Plays: Dishonored [23] Party Crasher

Video Length: 31:34

Despite the length, not much actually happens in this one! It's just rather drawn out. In my quest to find a way to get Boyle down to the cellar (as well as just resting my mind on figuring out which Boyle is which, because I don't trust the game when it tells me who is who because I'm silly and this is blind) we do our first possession of a creature! It's kinda gross and meaty looking and I love it, for that. It also occurs to me in doing this that possession is pretty great honestly, for infiltration purposes. I should have used it more. After that, we take advantage of the fact that the guard who's supposed to be guarding the stairs just outright left to enjoy the party to infiltrate the second floor! There, we get our first taste of true power with Time Stop.

After that, I realize that there IS a way to get the Lady Boyle to the cellar without anyone being the wiser, and all it will take is a little finesse. And... then I do it, pretty handedly if I do say so myself. We give Boyle over to her lover, who... proceeds to take her to his private island so they can be in love together F O R E V E R. Which is uh, a little gross, but I recently did some light reading with regards to Dishonored since I may or may not have finished recording the entire game, and the dev's said they were dumb for making this the nonlethal ending and it's now canon that after arriving on the island Waverly basically outsmarts him in every way and becomes the new ruler of his personal island, and lives a perfectly happy life herself without any real concerns from anyone. Which is hilarious and I approve of.

Then we return to the Hound's Pit Pub and do some wrap up, including playing around with our dear ole daughter. What a cutie! But yeah, that'll be it for today. Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you all next time.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

IIRC her 'new love' dies mysteriously after willing her his fortune. But yeah, it's funny that this was the one point in the game they decided had gone too far and needed an OOC retcon.

6. - Top - End - #426

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    IIRC her 'new love' dies mysteriously after willing her his fortune. But yeah, it's funny that this was the one point in the game they decided had gone too far and needed an OOC retcon.
    I don't think it's technically a retcon, because you never find out in-game what happens to Boyle and Waverley after they leave that cellar. Sure, Rabbit Head *says* he'll keep Boyle safe and she'll come to be happy and love him, but the guy is clearly no mastermind--heck, if he were remotely effectual himself he would have kidnapped his love before you ever got to the party rather than getting you to do it! So, her running rings around him perfectly fits the facts as we see them in game, no retcons are required.
    Last edited by factotum; 2019-09-30 at 01:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #427

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't think it's technically a retcon, because you never find out in-game what happens to Boyle and Waverley after they leave that cellar. Sure, Rabbit Head *says* he'll keep Boyle safe and she'll come to be happy and love him, but the guy is clearly no mastermind--heck, if he were remotely effectual himself he would have kidnapped his love before you ever got to the party rather than getting you to do it! So, her running rings around him perfectly fits the facts as we see them in game, no retcons are required.
    Entirely correct except that the lord in question is Shaw, Waverly is the Boyle in question that is his canon object du affection.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Entirely correct except that the lord in question is Shaw, Waverly is the Boyle in question that is his canon object du affection.
    I thought Shaw was the lord you dueled?

9. - Top - End - #429

I remember panicking on my first playthrough because I did not know how to put away my weapons either. Thankfully they never actually do anything about it.

I remembered there is actually some subtle foreshadowing of the costumed Lady Boyles in the mission at the Golden Cat. I'll see if I can piece something together from my notes.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The encounter with the Outsider seems to imply a darker fate, but otherwise it comes down to how you define a retcon. There is indeed nothing in the game that contradicts the novel in that point.

No, it is Brisby. Shaw has not direct connection to the Boyles.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~

10. - Top - End - #430

Yeah, retcon was a bad word. Clarification, maybe? Like we don't know the Pendleton twins die in their own mines. Maybe they thrive and become expert miners.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-09-30 at 02:11 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    I thought Shaw was the lord you dueled?
    ... right, I'm tired and posting from work >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    The encounter with the Outsider seems to imply a darker fate, but otherwise it comes down to how you define a retcon. There is indeed nothing in the game that contradicts the novel in that point.
    Yeah, retcon is too strong a word for this I feel.

Yeah, retcon was a bad word. Clarification, maybe? Like we don't know the Pendleton twins die in their own mines. Maybe they thrive and become expert miners.
    Come Dishonored 3 we learn about two bald, tongueless billionaire's...

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

The obsessive stalker noble is Lord Brisby.

Waverly Boyle is the canon object of his affection.

Esma takes over the Boyle Estate, so she's probably the one who sent you the rune.

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice to see you (ab)using possession and time bend. They are costly abilities, but they really increase options by a lot and are pretty fun to use. It does help that the game is very generous with mana potions. I can hardly wait for the next mission.

By the way, a little fun fact that I'd forgotten to mention until now. Corvo is said to be from a part of the world similar to our world's mediterranean and Corvo is the italian (and portuguese) word for crow. Ominous, right?

14. - Top - End - #434

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    Nice to see you (ab)using possession and time bend. They are costly abilities, but they really increase options by a lot and are pretty fun to use. It does help that the game is very generous with mana potions. I can hardly wait for the next mission.

By the way, a little fun fact that I'd forgotten to mention until now. Corvo is said to be from a part of the world similar to our world's mediterranean and Corvo is the italian (and portuguese) word for crow. Ominous, right?
    It's ominous, sure, but crows are like the friendliest birds you can meet so it's fine.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

Oopsiedoodles, forgot to add the stuff from last episode to the totals. Fixed now.

Panache in the time stop.

And... slightly less panache. But, 2nd verse makes it. Stylish.

Spoiler: Takedowns
    Show
    Episode Non-Lethal Lethal Total
    1 0 4 4
    2 4 8 12
    3 0 0 0
    4 0 0 0
    5 6 2 8
    6 9 7 16
    7 2 3 5
    8 3 0 3
    9 7 0 7
    10 16 1 17
    11 2 0 2
    12 3 0 3
    13 13 0 13
    14 11 0 11
    15 9 0 9
    16 2 0 2
    17 7 1 8
    18 13 0 13
    19 7 0 7
    20 2 0 2
    21 2 0 2
    22 2 1 3
    23 5 0 5
    Total 125 27 152
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-09-30 at 09:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #436

A perfectly comfy bed and you make the guard sleep in the fireplace? You monster.

Emily remains adorable.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

A perfectly comfy bed and you make the guard sleep in the fireplace? You monster.

Emily remains adorable.
    If she'd left him in the bed he'd have been shot for sleeping in a noblewoman's bed while on the job. Put him in the fireplace and it's obvious he was drugged and put there.

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

So if you killed Shaw in a duel, and felt bad about it and left a charitable donation to his family, would it be a... Shaw-shanked redemption?

(I'll see myself out)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    So if you killed Shaw in a duel, and felt bad about it and left a charitable donation to his family, would it be a... Shaw-shanked redemption?

(I'll see myself out)
    No, it wasn't that kind of duel. But it'd be a Shaw-shot redemption.

20. - Top - End - #440

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    If she'd left him in the bed he'd have been shot for sleeping in a noblewoman's bed while on the job. Put him in the fireplace and it's obvious he was drugged and put there.
    But then, this is Tom we are talking about. Probably was too drunk to find the bed.

Not so much to add this mission, since Shaw and the identity puzzle have already been discussed.

The appartment with the shrine to the Outsider is actually the former home of Granny Rags. You can find her diary there.

Spoiler
    Show
    This also means that on the door it should say "She does not live here anymore." I'll wait with the other Granny Rags stuff until we meet her again.

The rat swarm in front of the house attracted the guards when I passed. They then proceeded to shoot each other in the back while fighting the rats. The seems to happen often, as I found a video of it:
    Spoiler
    Show

If you approach the front door instead of sneaking in, you meet a group of guests featuring Mattie and her fabulous costume.
    Spoiler
    Show

They of course gossip about the hosts and also drop an invitation you can use to get in.
    As I mentioned before, having the art dealer's invitation leads to the door guards assuming you are him.
    Spoiler
    Show

The switch you refused to pull in the bedrooms opens a door to the attic, which you can also use to bypass the gurads in the hallway of the second floor. In a chest you can find some gold and the Boyle Cameo, the reward for winning the costume game. The way it is stashed away up here however implies to me the Boyles never intended to part with it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Small detail I loved: Remember Byron, the guy in the smoking room who complains about his financial losses until the other guy threatens to rat him out to the Regent? He does indeed have only a measly ten coins in his pouch. Even the guards on the party carry more.

~Augustus von Fabelrath~

21. - Top - End - #441

The more I learn about this game and it's details the more I realize they really just went full force with it huh.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    -.-

(I'll see myself out)
    You do that.

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #443

I hope you're all ready to lose all respect you've ever had for me.

Zodi Plays: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside [2] Tic-Tac-Die

Video Length: 28:35

Okay so look. A lot of stuff happens in this one. We fix our mine cart friend, we go on a fun ride around the mine tracks, learn some valuable information and get some gold in the process. We make our way to Darkness's lair and get menaced by singing kitchen equipment (which means Em give us a rather blue joke) and we end it with me proving my worth in some trivia, showing that I am actually smart!

But none of this matters because we play Cheese and Crackers during this video. That's all I shall say for this one folks; go get it. I hope you enjoyed, and I'll see you all next time.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

Look, I'm sure no matter how bad it is, there'll still be respect here.
    (Though, to note, the video title is Zodi PLays, should probably be a lowercase, there.)

...I mean, yes, losing tic-tac-toe is a little embarrassing, but also when you play second, you're generally playing to draw. And missing little things like that happens all the time, especially when you're not specifically looking for it. It's not a lose all respect moment.

Ah, yes, the pointy-clicky everywhere part of point and click games. And terrible singing.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

...okay, most of this is still familiar. It certainly felt longer back then, though. And the one thing I clearly remembered before this LP jogged my memory still hasn't happened. Don't remember how you get the lunchbox or the flashlight though.

Spoiler: (just as proof-ish that I do in fact remember something)
    Show
    pretty sure there's a bit where the screen goes black and you see your flashlight flicker on but can't actually get it, or possibly it's a time-sensitive click that I could never do, or was stuck on for ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #446

Oh hey, more Dishonored. What a novelty.

Zodi Plays: Dishonored [24] Done Wall, Now Tower

Video Length: 24:38

In this exciting episode, we get our briefing from Havelock on what we do next; hunting down the Spymaster turned Lord Regent and putting an end to this little king-maker conspiracy once and for all. To do so, we will be returning to the very first area we visited in the game; Dunwall Tower. They've beefed the security up a lot since the Spymaster has become an absolute paranoid wreck in the wake of all of his co-conspirators being taken out, but luckily we've hit the point where the amount of skill I'm able to employ matches the level of power we have, and the infiltration goes... pretty damn smooth, if we're being honest. Some minor hang-ups aside of course.

And that's really it for this one! We climb our way across the walkways and get into the tower with relative ease. I hope you all enjoyed, next time we'll be dealing with the contents of said tower! See you all next time.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground

Oops. Accidental stab in the time stop.

The stopped bolt is a nice touch, though.

Yeah, at least the alarm's not been sounded for real.

Spoiler: Takedowns
    Show
    Episode Non-Lethal Lethal Total
    1 0 4 4
    2 4 8 12
    3 0 0 0
    4 0 0 0
    5 6 2 8
    6 9 7 16
    7 2 3 5
    8 3 0 3
    9 7 0 7
    10 16 1 17
    11 2 0 2
    12 3 0 3
    13 13 0 13
    14 11 0 11
    15 9 0 9
    16 2 0 2
    17 7 1 8
    18 13 0 13
    19 7 0 7
    20 2 0 2
    21 2 0 2
    22 2 1 3
    23 5 0 5
    24 4 1 5
    Total 129 28 157

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

In the latest video, you remarked on the oddness of the NPCs' dialogue. I feel like it's supposed to be an attempt to mimic British English - specifically some of the more working class dialects. It certainly sounds to me like a modern American trying to do an impression of a 1920s cockney wide boy without having done any kind of research...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

29. - Top - End - #449

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    In the latest video, you remarked on the oddness of the NPCs' dialogue. I feel like it's supposed to be an attempt to mimic British English - specifically some of the more working class dialects. It certainly sounds to me like a modern American trying to do an impression of a 1920s cockney wide boy without having done any kind of research...
    What I meant by that is that they made a bunch of canned voice lines that randomly play in response to randomly selected lines and it leads to some very awkward, clunky dialogue. And also what you said.

30. - Top - End - #450

Let's bag us a spymaster.

Zodi Plays: Dishonored [25] In The Drink

Video Length: 32:11

Last time on Dishonored, we began our infiltration of Dunwall Tower, in our attempt on the life of the former Spymaster turned Lord Regent. Today, we begin the infiltration in earnest, as we're now within the tower itself. There's a lot of ways to go about dealing with the Lord Regent, especially since if we get spotted or an alarm is rung he'll hotfoot it to his safe-room! But with the right use of powers... he'll come to us, completely undefended. Which is how we deal with it, strangling him and shoving him up onto his bed. With that done... I'm at a loss for how to deal with this non lethally! Thankfully, I eventually come to a conclusion and make my way up to the broadcast area, learn the safe combo for the safe in his room, crack it open, and play his secret diary out across the city!

Unsurprisingly, the guards do not appreciate the knowledge that the Lord Regent intentionally brought Bull Rats over from Pandyssia to intentionally kill the power. Our job now done, we make our way back to Samuel so we can celebrate. What's that you say, the runes in this area might be a shrine to the Outsider that could get you cool dialogue, or there's a bunch of stuff still left to collect? Those are true! Unfortunately I got caught up in the high of, at least I think, really handling this area well! So nope, it's time to exfiltrate Dunwall Tower as easily as I got in, make our way to Samuel, and return to the Hounds Pit Pub to celebrate!

Of course, during our celebration I get struck by hubris! Some of the dialogue didn't play, it was completely blank on my end. What's worse, around the time this glitch happens for me, the recording decided to glitch out and not record the footage either! I didn't realize this until after I'd recorded the rest of the game!! So uh... I did my best to repair it in the manner with which I am accustomed. But yeah, we celebrate our victory over the conspirator's and nothing goes wrong and everything is fine!

... wait, you mean things don't go fine? Well, it's okay. We'll see what the end result of that is Friday. Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you then!