New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Does this exist?

Me and my cousins have recently started playing D&D, and are really enjoying it. The problem is that we only see eachother two or three times a year. I figure we can probably continue the game over AIM, but i was wondering if there was a chat client specifically for D&D that incorporated dice roles and maybe a basic map that all the players could see (just like a grid or hexes or something, but so you didn't have to explain in gory detail the layout of a dungeon).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Does this exist?

there are a multitude of programs like this, some of which are free and some that are not. They are generally refered to as "virtual tabletops"

personally, i'm most interested in MapTool which is a free java-based map/chat/dice client. http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptool:intro
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Well you can always start a thread here...
    and I hear some guy was running a game within Second life.

and yeah there is bound to be what you are looking for somewhere, it's Pandora's box the internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Thanks, maptool looks pretty cool. I'll look into that.