New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

Comic link
    First page

The legendary comic creator, Mookie, is at it again. He has recently started working on a sequel to his masterpiece, Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire. Here is the description he gave for it:

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    The Legacy of Dominic Deegan is set 200 years after the events of Oracle for Hire. A deaf mongrelman called Snout stumbles upon a mysterious scrap of paper, and his curiosity drives him to search for clues regarding an obscure librarian from a centuries-old city across the world. Snout must determine if he can trust what he sees, reads, and learns in his quest for the untold fate of Dominic Deegan.

Note: This entire story is told from Snout's perspective, so there will be no dialogue on any page.
    As you can see, this comic is already shaping up to be incredible.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

On the plus side, its set in the wild edge which means literally nothing has to make sense! Thats mookies greatest strength!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

should I dig up my snark arc collage I made long ago or....do we need a new one?

*checks*

......I'm tempted to just start....replacing all the words and putting word bubbles in....the snark is rising.....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well...

At least he's learned how to draw mouths properly? That's progress.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

The interesting part will be when he has to draw communication between characters for a longer period of time. I wonder how that will go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

So... is it just me, or has the art actually improved in comparison to Dominic Deegan? Facial expressions that are undestandable, no cheekmouth, more varied and dynamic postures, etc.

The idea to forego dialog entirely might actually be a good thing in the long run, since it does force the author to tell the story through art alone. Not sure, how long one can keep up such an unusual premise, but it should be a god experience for Mookie.
    Last edited by Radar; 2019-07-15 at 02:17 PM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    So... is it just me, or has the art actually improved in comparison to Dominic Deegan? Facial expressions that are undestandable, no cheekmouth, more varied and dynamic postures, etc.

The idea to forego dialog entirely might actually be a good thing in the long run, since it does force the author to tell the story through art alone. Not sure, how long one can keep up such an unusual premise, but it should be a god experience for Mookie.
    Yeah, this premise might make Mookie have to put in some amount of effort! *shock and horror*

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Well...

At least he's learned how to draw mouths properly? That's progress.
    Not quite! Cheek Mouth is really only visible when the mouth is open

Mookie has cannily selected this project to avoid his artistic flaws:
    • Inhuman characters = realistic figure drawing is not required
    • Mute protagonist = no need to draw open mouths
    • Universally known *deaf* protagonist = no need to write dialogue

It's as if Rob Liefield decided to write a comic where all the characters are stretchy tentacle monsters who are sexually attracted to pouches
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post

It's as if Rob Liefield decided to write a comic where all the characters are stretchy tentacle monsters who are sexually attracted to pouches
    without feet. That part is important, anything below the ankles better be out of frame.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to mention that he is in the only area where coincidences are an acceptable ways to move the plot.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... this made me think: assuming he is actually consciously constructing a comics in which his art and writing problems would not matter, does it mean he is fully aware of them? If so, what will he do about them? All in all, it is either still a marked improvement, or he was aware of them for years and did not choose to change anything. I am not going to bash him for it or anything - anyone has the freedom to say "meh, this is good enough for me". I am simply curious about the thoughts and attitude behind all this.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... this made me think: assuming he is actually consciously constructing a comics in which his art and writing problems would not matter, does it mean he is fully aware of them? If so, what will he do about them? All in all, it is either still a marked improvement, or he was aware of them for years and did not choose to change anything. I am not going to bash him for it or anything - anyone has the freedom to say "meh, this is good enough for me". I am simply curious about the thoughts and attitude behind all this.
    My touchstone in this regard is "Mookie is lazy." His efforts peak at "good enough" and, by changing the boundary conditions, "good enough" gets easier to reach.

That said, doing anything for long enough will result in an increase in technical proficiency so you can see improvement from first page to the most current but real improvement comes from pushing your boundaries - which Mookie does seldom, if ever.

Compare, for example, the first page of Schlock Mercenary to a more recent one. Howard Tayler and Mookie started from relatively similar skill levels but one actually tried to expand his toolbox of skills while the other has merely refined what he started with.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

13. - Top - End - #13

"200 years since Dominic Deegan"

that phrase is tiring. How will it end?
    "...'s father was born"

Given how magic can prolong people's lifes, DD would be possibly alive, unless the newspaper clip finishes with the word "... finally died for good and has not been resurrected since."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I'm ~10 pages in, and I'm already slightly annoyed by how many times I've seen "THIS CHARACTER IS DEAF" written in neon flashing lights.

There's so much nuance and exploration that could be done around introducing such a character, letting us slowly realise that we're not seeing any sound effects and then determining that it's more than just a stylish choice.

Like, the librarian at the desk could have spoken to Snout and the text bubble just has weird symbols in it: "=o0! /\v o^ oo^?" . We might think she's some strange and exotic creature trilling in some weird, non-verbal alien language... And later come to realise that they're the closest equivalent Snout can make to lip reading, because those are the shapes he can see it making?

Not a promising start, but you know what? I like Mookie, he's known as a nice guy, so I'm determined to give him a fair chance and see where this takes us.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-07-19 at 05:28 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

My touchstone in this regard is "Mookie is lazy." His efforts peak at "good enough" and, by changing the boundary conditions, "good enough" gets easier to reach.

That said, doing anything for long enough will result in an increase in technical proficiency so you can see improvement from first page to the most current but real improvement comes from pushing your boundaries - which Mookie does seldom, if ever.

Compare, for example, the first page of Schlock Mercenary to a more recent one. Howard Tayler and Mookie started from relatively similar skill levels but one actually tried to expand his toolbox of skills while the other has merely refined what he started with.
    I don't think Mookie is lazy.
    He keeps a pretty tight and consistent schedule, and from his posts you can see that he is enthusiastic about his projects.
    Nevertheless, the result is lazy writing, which in the way I see it, is caused by his excitement than laziness.

I'll try to explain:

Imagine you have a friend who is really into a certain movie, and invites you to watch it.
    You agree, he put the movie on, credits start to roll, but then he takes the remote and says "wait, let me show you the BEST part!" and skips forward to a fight scene.
    It is a good action scene, and the cinematic language is clear about who is the good guy and who is the villain, but you as a watcher only see a good battle of two people beating each other because you missed the context.
    The fight is over, and the friend yet again skips to the next favorite scene, this time it's the protagonist's friend, making a heroic sacrifice to save the here.
    Again, everything tells you it's a dramatic scene, but you hardly know the guy, so it's hard to be invested.

This is more or less Mookie's writing style.
    In his mind, he has scenes that he REALLY wants to write/draw, It can be a fight scene, a dramatic moment, or even just a hero saying a silly pun, but everything else is just a way to get you to the next "good part", and does not hold any real value for him.
    This is why there are so many coincidences, because it's the fastest way to get you to the next part.
    This is also why plot points are created only to bring the heroes somewhere, and then forgotten a page later - they were never important in the first place.
    Same goes for weird moral lessons due to not closing the previous scene properly and almost anything else that is wrong.

It's lazy writing, but out of over-enthusiasm to show you the next great moment he pictured in his mind.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    He keeps a pretty tight and consistent schedule, and from his posts you can see that he is enthusiastic about his projects.
    Nevertheless, the result is lazy writing, which in the way I see it, is caused by his excitement than laziness.

I'll try to explain:

Imagine you have a friend who is really into a certain movie, and invites you to watch it.
    You agree, he put the movie on, credits start to roll, but then he takes the remote and says "wait, let me show you the BEST part!" and skips forward to a fight scene.
    It is a good action scene, and the cinematic language is clear about who is the good guy and who is the villain, but you as a watcher only see a good battle of two people beating each other because you missed the context.
    The fight is over, and the friend yet again skips to the next favorite scene, this time it's the protagonist's friend, making a heroic sacrifice to save the here.
    Again, everything tells you it's a dramatic scene, but you hardly know the guy, so it's hard to be invested.

In his mind, he has scenes that he REALLY wants to write/draw, It can be a fight scene, a dramatic moment, or even just a hero saying a silly pun, but everything else is just a way to get you to the next "good part", and does not hold any real value for him.
    This is why there are so many coincidences, because it's the fastest way to get you to the next part.
    This is also why plot points are created only to bring the heroes somewhere, and then forgotten a page later - they were never important in the first place.
    Same goes for weird moral lessons due to not closing the previous scene properly and almost anything else that is wrong.

It's lazy writing, but out of over-enthusiasm to show you the next great moment he pictured in his mind.
    Oh God. I just realized that Mookie writes the exact same way I did when I wrote my Pokémon fan-fiction ten years ago.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe he just got stuck in a routine. Sometimes you are aware of many or all the flaws of a project, but you can't do something while it is running. Then you need to finish it, take a step back and rethink your approach. I guess that happened, and the contact to an actual artist (Garth) probably helped too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

18. - Top - End - #18

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post

I'll try to explain:

This does explain why I liked Dominic Deegan when I was younger.

Still, so far I am intrigued where the story is going, despite my issues so far. So there is that.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

19. - Top - End - #19

Lord have mercy. I don't visit GITP in months, haven't clicked on this sub in years, and the first thing I see when I mouse over is this. This is either destiny or some kind of witches' curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

How in the world is that witch still in that shape after Snout was presumably at the library for hours? Either her wounds should have closed, or she should be dead. Regardless, she should not still be bleeding like that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

For some reason I just got the urge to make some snark comics of this:
    Spoiler: My snark comics pages 1-2
    Show

Spoiler: Snark comics 3-4
    Show

Spoiler: Snark Comics 5-6
    Show

now, you say he may have gotten better....but sorry, I just felt the urge to make these. it was just so easy. it all just....kind of wrote itself.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Lord have mercy. I don't visit GITP in months, haven't clicked on this sub in years, and the first thing I see when I mouse over is this. This is either destiny or some kind of witches' curse.
    Your coming has been foretold.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Show

Show

Show

now, you say he may have gotten better....but sorry, I just felt the urge to make these. it was just so easy. it all just....kind of wrote itself.
    This is genuinely a better comic than what Mookie made. It still looks like ass, but at least now it's funny.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2019-07-21 at 08:47 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Show

Show

Show

You can't say that Mookie doesn't inspire people.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    "200 years since Dominic Deegan"

that phrase is tiring. How will it end?
    "...'s father was born"

Given how magic can prolong people's lifes, DD would be possibly alive, unless the newspaper clip finishes with the word "... finally died for good and has not been resurrected since."
    The next words look like they could be began his.
    So, breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Afternoon nap?
    Retirement?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

26. - Top - End - #26

I found those on another forum:

Spoiler
    Show

Direct links in case this forum still breaks imgur embeds:
    https://i.imgur.com/tg9b5X6.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/QxyMMa9.jpg
    Last edited by Gez; 2019-07-22 at 06:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I honestly think the snark is undeserved so far.
    All the same, that was pretty funny :)
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #28

Something is wrong with the DD website, I think. It's nothing major, but I believe it stretches out the image and makes it look slightly blurry.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

29. - Top - End - #29

Im wondering if I should give the comic a month to update. So little happens from comic to comic that it feels like a waste of time to click the link every couple days. I blame it on the lack of words as I basically look at 6 images then go away.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im wondering if I should give the comic a month to update. So little happens from comic to comic that it feels like a waste of time to click the link every couple days. I blame it on the lack of words as I basically look at 6 images then go away.
    That's part of why a comic is not the ideal medium for wordless storytelling. This concept would work much better in film, which leans much more heavily on visual storytelling, anyways.