New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

Well. That just makes it a bold/innovative choice to try all the same.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

There are just too many ways to go around the restrictions, and there is nothing special about replacing word balloons with written messages on a square panel, not to mention the option to use telepathy or the fact that this is a book related story so I expect many walls of text as pages in books.

I'll praise it as innovative if and when I see something different, but my levels of trust in this project are not high for obvious reasons.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Well. That just makes it a bold/innovative choice to try all the same.
    It honestly took longer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    There are just too many ways to go around the restrictions, and there is nothing special about replacing word balloons with written messages on a square panel, not to mention the option to use telepathy or the fact that this is a book related story so I expect many walls of text as pages in books.

I'll praise it as innovative if and when I see something different, but my levels of trust in this project are not high for obvious reasons.
    Exactly. In a comic, the difference between dialogue, thought balloons, and in-world text is largely superficial. Deciding not to use one isn't that big of a deal.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Enjoy your d***s!

That doesn't seem to be a very comfortable sleep position, if you have a tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think I'd want to be covered in the pants of a dude who goes commando all day long. Imagine the smell.

Edit: Also, the page before this one is literally framed like a joke where the punchline is that he can't find the ship because he's deaf. It did not take long for this comic that was ostensibly made to show the disabled in a sympathetic light to start openly mocking the disabled.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2019-07-31 at 09:21 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think I'd want to be covered in the pants of a dude who goes commando all day long. Imagine the smell.

Edit: Also, the page before this one is literally framed like a joke where the punchline is that he can't find the ship because he's deaf. It did not take long for this comic that was ostensibly made to show the disabled in a sympathetic light to start openly mocking the disabled.
    I just thought the ship doesn't make any sound beyond a light "woosh" or something.

And don't worry, in the land of coincidences, it will probably crash on his house during the night.
    With any luck, right on his junk.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that scene is intended to come across as tragic, not comedic.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, i mean, oh no, a handicap is actually shown as a handicap?
    will the horror newer end?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The final panel has him staring at a rock while the ship flies right behind him. That's a punchline if I've ever seen one. Like I said, it's not the content that's the issue; it's the way it's framed. That's why I never said anything about the previous pages: they weren't laid out in a joke format. This is.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Never imagined we'd have a new Deegan thread after the comic wrapped. So far it's more solid than Deegan ever was, so that's a small something, at least.

It's good to be home.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

12. - Top - End - #42

For most comic authors, writing a story without dialog would mean writing a story without text. But Mookie is too clever for that, he just has the characters write their speech bubbles instead of "speaking" them!

Also there's been like ten comics so far but it's time we get a big wall-of-text recap just in case we forgot what had been happening. Though "happening" is kind of used loosely here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

I find it funny that I managed to predict exactly what will happen with "deaf perspective", but a lot faster than I thought it will.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    For most comic authors, writing a story without dialog would mean writing a story without text. But Mookie is too clever for that, he just has the characters write their speech bubbles instead of "speaking" them!

Also there's been like ten comics so far but it's time we get a big wall-of-text recap just in case we forgot what had been happening. Though "happening" is kind of used loosely here.
    I will give him credit for one thing, though: this recap dump does help make up for his terrible art. I was convinced that the witch was writing with her own blood, and since no one contradicted my statement on that, I'm assuming everyone else thought the same. Yet, it turns out it was actually just magic ink that came out of her blood-soaked dress. That fixes all my issues with that scene. /sarcasm
    Last edited by Celestia; 2019-08-05 at 09:14 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

I will give him credit for one thing, though: this recap dump does help make up for his terrible art. I was convinced that the witch was writing with her own blood, and since no one contradicted my statement on that, I'm assuming everyone else thought the same. Yet, it turns out it was actually just magic ink that came out of her blood-soaked dress. That fixes all my issues with that scene. /sarcasm
    Idem.

Now that I think about it, we even had to be told, instead of shown, that he was deaf, with a patch with "deaf" written on it. What a coincidence: he sews it the day the story begins! Secondarily, blind people do have such an armband, but it has three points on it, rather than words.

It looks like the idea for this story isn't that of not using words, more like not using voiced dialogues. But then, why not have our friend look at the ink the first time it shows up and think "ink", instead of having to waste a page because the injured/unhealthy person who has already collapsed twice is covered in ink instead of blood (or in both, I guess)? Why are diary pages OK, but thought balloons a no-go?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Can we go back to making links to the last comic? Some* people travel a lot and have to catch up on weekends. Then this is confusing.

Also link to new comic.

The comic showed some guy's junk. that's something? Mookie wrote a post about it. Let's see where this is going.
    Also, has it really been 6 years since the end of the original series? Time goes by.

*"Some means "me". Otherwise I wouldn't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, something just occurred to me. Was Mookie's decision to write a story about a deaf character inspired by A Silent Voice? The timeline matches up. I sure hope he doesn't think he can even hold a candle to that masterpiece. Still, I can't fault him too much for that. If the movie was that inspiring to him, then that just means it's done its job, I guess.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

You know, something just occurred to me. Was Mookie's decision to write a story about a deaf character inspired by A Silent Voice? The timeline matches up. I sure hope he doesn't think he can even hold a candle to that masterpiece. Still, I can't fault him too much for that. If the movie was that inspiring to him, then that just means it's done its job, I guess.
    But remember - whom the gods would destroy they first use to inspire Mookie
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

19. - Top - End - #49

Griffon

The final panel has him staring at a rock while the ship flies right behind him. That's a punchline if I've ever seen one. Like I said, it's not the content that's the issue; it's the way it's framed. That's why I never said anything about the previous pages: they weren't laid out in a joke format. This is.
    I wouldn't have particularly minded, were it not for the fact that the ships have stopped producing downward-draft in about 8 strips.

Snout knows that the ships are there, the pressure they exert forces him face-first into the dirt and causes trees to bend to an unnatural angle for dozens of metres around when they fly overhead... Except when they don't.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Lord have mercy. I don't visit GITP in months, haven't clicked on this sub in years, and the first thing I see when I mouse over is this. This is either destiny or some kind of witches' curse.
    As it was foreseen.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Snout knows that the ships are there, the pressure they exert forces him face-first into the dirt and causes trees to bend to an unnatural angle for dozens of metres around when they fly overhead... Except when they don't.
    Ahh come on be serious. Thats what there is to complain about?
    Like its not perfectly possible that the ship actually have more than 1 speed setting?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Like its not perfectly possible that the ship actually have more than 1 speed setting?
    That downward pressure doesn't seem to be a result of speed, but rather, a result of the ship simply being in the air. It's newton's third law: if you want to go up, you've gotta push something else down. When you jump, you're pushing the ground down. And when something hovers, it pushes the air down.

23. - Top - End - #53

Griffon

If we knew that the ships had a reason to be actively antagonistic, fine. That first one saw Snout walking along and minding his own business, and decided to "buzz" him because the pilot is an ******* who likes to do that to people.

If we knew that the ships were ignorant or otherwise disinterested in the people walking below them, fine. The first one just happened to be speeding, and the others weren't.... Even though they're all depicted as looking the same, with the same "speed lines" trailing behind them.

But we don't know either of these things. All we know is that they're there, and that sometimes they knock everything over and sometimes they don't, for inscrutable reasons. It doesn't look like an engrossing mystery to me, or that there's anything to indicate the difference between the two. It just looks like Mookie either forgot, or still doesn't have a good grasp of perspective to indicate the distance.

On the one hand there's dropping hints, foreshadowing and offering hooks to draw in the reader, and on the other there's stuff that just happens because it looks cool. Given what I remember of Mookie, I'm leaning towards the latter.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    If we knew that the ships had a reason to be actively antagonistic, fine. That first one saw Snout walking along and minding his own business, and decided to "buzz" him because the pilot is an ******* who likes to do that to people.

If we knew that the ships were ignorant or otherwise disinterested in the people walking below them, fine. The first one just happened to be speeding, and the others weren't.... Even though they're all depicted as looking the same, with the same "speed lines" trailing behind them.

But we don't know either of these things. All we know is that they're there, and that sometimes they knock everything over and sometimes they don't, for inscrutable reasons. It doesn't look like an engrossing mystery to me, or that there's anything to indicate the difference between the two. It just looks like Mookie either forgot, or still doesn't have a good grasp of perspective to indicate the distance.

On the one hand there's dropping hints, foreshadowing and offering hooks to draw in the reader, and on the other there's stuff that just happens because it looks cool. Given what I remember of Mookie, I'm leaning towards the latter.
    You are forgetting that the story takes place in the wilde edge: being inconsistent is consistent with the lore.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    You are forgetting that the story takes place in the wilde edge: being inconsistent is consistent with the lore.
    Yea, maybe it was just really windy the first time the ship showed up.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

current page

It certainly didn't take long for Mookie to fall back on his tried and true ass pull plot contrivance.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

I think what bothers me the most is that the characters themselves did not bother asking or giving information about HOW to find the ship.

Where did it fly? Is it still in the area or did it go for a specific location?
    Is there only one ship that looks like that or am I looking for a license plate number?
    Is there a way to track it?

Nope.
    Everyone just assumes it's still in the area and that somehow it will be found.

Even the excuse of the wild area which acts as a written plot convenience doesn't stand here, since it should only works if the ship is still around.

28. - Top - End - #58

What is he supposed to when he finds the ship, anyway? Give it a wave?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    What is he supposed to when he finds the ship, anyway? Give it a wave?
    Clearly, carry it back to the witch.

Wait, that might not need to be in blue. :S

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

We try to get out, and Mookie keeps pulling us back in with the wordiest silent comic I've ever seen, an open-air library in a place where it can rain acid (or, y'know, REGULAR RAIN) for the benefit of inhabitants who mostly don't even have hands, and a clue literally falling into the lap of one of the few people within a thousand miles of spell-corrupted plain who a) knows who Dominic is and b) gives a damn about what happened to him. The cosmology of this world really is just "everything revolves around the Deegans".

Don't worry, I'm sure the art for those consensual sex scenes he was discussing in his post will look fine...

Just call me a big ol' pessimist, but I'm beginning to wonder if, given Mookie's talents, a black and white 'silent' comic is the correct medium to tell the (presumably harrowing) tale of what happened to his main character 200 years ago.
    Last edited by Kwatsu; 2019-08-08 at 06:49 AM.