New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

That's an amazing point.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

I just figured she didn't have a name, that the ink witches are some sort of ultra-collectivist commune that denies the existence of the self or personal identity. It makes far more sense than the idea that Snout has been traveling with her for days, if not weeks, and never bothered asking her for her name.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #633
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I just figured she didn't have a name, that the ink witches are some sort of ultra-collectivist commune that denies the existence of the self or personal identity. It makes far more sense than the idea that Snout has been traveling with her for days, if not weeks, and never bothered asking her for her name.
    Even if that's the case, he should have asked considering he doesn't know anything about the ink witches.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    You can always trust xkcd...

--

It's kind of obvious he is pushing toward them being a couple, and maybe they will and maybe not, I'll accept both options.
    But I swear, if they actually have sex and he will STILL not have her name or an excuse why she doesn't have one, I will shout endlessly into the dark void that will my soul...

Update

There IS an option to go between not explaining and a literal wall of text.

How about:
    Arduak came to us for help about dream magic.
    We hesitated since we heard rumors about him being violent toward the circle of magic and other orcs, but agreed since the pages are important to us.
    After all, the pages contain magic if you know how to look for it.
    But when he heard we want to share is with everyone, he took back the pages, insisting the magic should not be shared and left.
    This is when I decided to take the pages from him, and you pretty much know the rest.

Here, was that too hard?!

5. - Top - End - #635

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    It's kind of obvious he is pushing toward them being a couple, and maybe they will and maybe not, I'll accept both options.
    But I swear, if they actually have sex and he will STILL not have her name or an excuse why she doesn't have one,
    https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2628
    https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2630
    I will shout endlessly into the dark void that will my soul...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY1OqaM1zjA
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

Even if that's the case, he should have asked considering he doesn't know anything about the ink witches.
    Maybe he did off panel? :S

Now that we finally have the Aflac backstory, I strongly disagree with the notion that it was "too long." Even this excessive wall of text could have been cleanly delivered to us if Mookie simply didn't put Snout in front of if and used paragraphs.

7. - Top - End - #637

if they actually have sex and he will STILL not have her name or an excuse why she doesn't have one, I will shout endlessly into the dark void that will my soul...
    Another think I thought, maybe he'll find out that he's been lied to the whole time and she's actually the Kink Witch.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe he did off panel? :S
    I know you meant it as a joke, but even that is directly contradicted in the comic...

Now that we finally have the Aflac backstory, I strongly disagree with the notion that it was "too long." Even this excessive wall of text could have been cleanly delivered to us if Mookie simply didn't put Snout in front of if and used paragraphs.
    I see how someone like Snout can be overwhelmed here.
    It's not really the length that is the problem, it's all the names and terms.

Chandak, Maltak, Circle archmage, Luanian priest, ink witches, even halfling if he never saw one, are term WE know or at least recognize, but Snout knows nothing about them.
    She could have easily make things simpler without using any of them.

BTW, the only thing that surprised me about the "story" was that Arduak came to the ink witches and not the other way around.
    Was he not aware that their policy is to publish the knowledge?

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

I know you meant it as a joke, but even that is directly contradicted in the comic...
    Welp.

I see how someone like Snout can be overwhelmed here.
    It's not really the length that is the problem, it's all the names and terms.

Chandak, Maltak, Circle archmage, Luanian priest, ink witches, even halfling if he never saw one, are term WE know or at least recognize, but Snout knows nothing about them.
    She could have easily make things simpler without using any of them.

BTW, the only thing that surprised me about the "story" was that Arduak came to the ink witches and not the other way around.
    Was he not aware that their policy is to publish the knowledge?
    Honestly, I've forgotten so much about DD, that all I recognize of that list are Maltak and halfling. I'll never forget Maltak.

Really, though, most of those terms are irrelevant. You don't need to know who Luanian Priests are to understand that committing battery against one is bad, or at least bad from the perspective of the Ink Witches given context clues. The only one that really matters is ink witch, which is exactly what he's trying to figure out.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

What do you know, he summed it up pretty much the way I did, hope it didn't take him more than five minutes to do so.

He's right about both sides doing wrong, but their motives are pretty much clear, so it's less about trust and more bout reaching a compromise before working together to avoid a fight when something is found.
    Not that there are many options to compromise here before at least knowing WHY Arduak wants to block the knowledge, but whatever.

Anyway Snout himself is at no risk other than possibly being collateral damage in the said fight.
    The thought about publishing the knowledge didn't even cross his mind, and he doesn't seem to be the type to steal the work for himself if something is found.
    Last edited by random11; 2020-06-17 at 01:32 AM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. This might be the first time in the entire comic that
    Snout has said or done something smart.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

When I think about it, how long did the ink witches have with the pages before the argument?

Sure, it's not enough time to research the magic inside them, but you don't need more than a glance to get the next clue like Snout did.

EDIT: Anyone like me betting on ignoring the magic in the pages until the end of the story?
    Last edited by random11; 2020-06-17 at 07:09 AM.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

"Who was he really"
    A question that should have been asked BEFORE going on an unknown journey for books around the world.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I can answer that question.

Dominic Deegan was a filthy traitor who betrayed his king and shattered the golden age of mankind in order to empower those filthy orcs.

Those who follow the word of mighty Siegfried know the truth and seek to undo his crimes.

15. - Top - End - #645

I had assumed, until now, that Snout knew who DD was, like us, and was just looking for answers about what we also don't know, such as what happened to him after the whole king David thing.

But now, I worry that we actually will have to see Snout learn everything we already know, before he can tell us what we don't know.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

I had assumed, until now, that Snout knew who DD was, like us, and was just looking for answers about what we also don't know, such as what happened to him after the whole king David thing.

But now, I worry that we actually will have to see Snout learn everything we already know, before he can tell us what we don't know.
    Very likely. With any luck, we'll get a cliff notes version of the story. Or Mookie will have a "clever" idea and have Snout come across an "illustrated biography" of Dominic Deegan's life and then just show him looking at the first page of the original comic, and then he'll timeskip past it all so we don't have to go through it again.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Colossus in the Playground

Iirc all he knew about DD was he had caused the creation of the local library with his donations or some such thing. Then he came across the first page and realized there was more of a mystery here and wanted to follow it to the end. At this stage its kind of a sunk cost fallacy. He has already done so much it would be a shame to stop now, that sort of thing.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Iirc all he knew about DD was he had caused the creation of the local library with his donations or some such thing. Then he came across the first page and realized there was more of a mystery here and wanted to follow it to the end. At this stage its kind of a sunk cost fallacy. He has already done so much it would be a shame to stop now, that sort of thing.
    Well, that and he literally has nothing better to do with his life. It doesn't seem like Snout had a job. His house is gone. All he had at the beginning of this journey was the clothes on his back, and now even those are gone. He is a truly pitiful creature with absolutely nothing going for him. Adventure, at least, gives him something to do.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Will you cut it out with the "one sided love act when the other one is asleep"?
    It's not cute, it's disturbing...

Also, did he just take off his cloths WHILE reading, with the brush with the still on him?

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure what the Ink Witch is doing in panel 5 there, but it looks a tad bit rapey.

21. - Top - End - #651

Update

Will you cut it out with the "one sided love act when the other one is asleep"?
    It's not cute, it's disturbing...

Also, did he just take off his cloths WHILE reading, with the brush with the still on him?
    He was nude the whole time, his dongle just wasnt being shoved into our faces. And yeah, panel 5 is odd. It almost looked like a mom kissing their sleeping kid on the forehead, but no contact was shown then she is knocked out on top of him. Very oddly setup.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #652

So todays update. I would probably be more interested if it hadnt been weeks since we got the exposition dump as to what the signs all mean. I just didnt care enough to go archive crawling to find the update so I could try to match the symbols together and figure out what the comic implies.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

So todays update. I would probably be more interested if it hadnt been weeks since we got the exposition dump as to what the signs all mean. I just didnt care enough to go archive crawling to find the update so I could try to match the symbols together and figure out what the comic implies.
    I remember that the cube is order, and the spiral is chaos. So, either this is more pseudo-philosophical mumbo-jumbo that means nothing, or it's just a random collection of symbols haphazardly thrown together that means nothing.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2020-06-24 at 12:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #654

I hope these two become lovers, because, otherwise, these last scenes get very weird.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

I probably would have looked back for clues if it wasn't for the constant distraction.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

So, the Ink Witch has been deliberately forcing Snout to have naked dreams about her? She just keeps getting rapey-er and rapey-er with each page. I'm really starting to see Abattleaxe as the good guy here. His worst crime so far was using non-violent magic to reclaim his own stolen property.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Yep, that's some weird way to activate magic.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Okay... That definitely moves her from "kinda ambiguous" to "what in Hel's name is wrong with you?"
    There be is a very good explanation.
    And even then...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

29. - Top - End - #659

That's something I had been wondering about, although for a different reason (I thought she used the brush to magick Snout, then I realised that it was Snout's brush).

Is dream magic activated by sleeping naked on another sleeper? This explains why she would do something that goes against a lot of societal norms (Snout is an outsider that doesn't seem to know how society works, see mixing up libraries and bookstores).

Nice to see Snout get inquisitive. He gets developed, and the story goes one step forward. Good update.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

There is an old joke about a king who asked his jester to come up with a situation, where an apology is worse than the act itself.
    The next morning the jester pinches the king on his ass, the king jumps in surprise, and the jester says "sorry, I thought it was your wife".

I'm REALLY trying to give the benefit of doubt here that being naked is not related to how the magic works.
    Sure, it would explain certain things, but at a cost of making a character that the comic portraits as a positive one as kind of... rapey?
    Not to mention that it requires an author to imagine and create a type of magic that is activated this way, and then to use it in the given situation.

Regardless, I really don't understand why the witch keeps lying to Snout without any reason.
    If she just came to him saying "Hey Snout, I can use magic to activate your prophetic dreams" do you think he would refuse?