New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    See, the correct way to do this is to either give her clothes right away or explain why that's impossible. Mookie did neither. He kept her naked for weeks with no explanation then gave her clothes with no explanation. Why only now? Why couldn't this happen earlier? What makes only these leaves useful for clothes? What about the leaves they used earlier as blankets? Why were those leaves cloth-like enough to serve as blankets but not cloth-like enough to serve as clothes? Why could Snout not acquire the clothing leaves earlier? Did he only decide to makes her clothes now because they were stopped, anyways, from the rain?

It just raises too many questions. If the vine lady had just stayed naked, we could have come up with our own explanations as to why she won't/can't wear clothes, but there is no satisfying explanation for this.
    Its also been like, 2-3 days in comic as far as we can tell. And seriously, the comments have been full of "Omg why doesnt she have clothes yet? Why dont they make her something to wear? Why is she still naked?" Then as soon as she GETS something to wear "Omg it took so long its even worse that she has clothes now!" Which is just... bizarre. This is the kind of thing that sometimes turned me off from enjoying oracle for hire snarking because every now and then it got this way where even doing what you have been demanding he do just gets more scorn. I suppose this could be a better clip.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its also been like, 2-3 days in comic as far as we can tell. And seriously, the comments have been full of "Omg why doesnt she have clothes yet? Why dont they make her something to wear? Why is she still naked?"
    And you think it's wrong?
    First, it might have been only 2-3 days in comic, but 2 months for us, and in these few days he had at least two opportunities to make something for her, and that does not include doing zero effort to look around.
    Second, like I mentioned before, it also has been only 2-3 days since Snout felt humiliated for having no cloths in the street, and at the time they were heading for a city. So it's not like being naked is natural in this world settings, it's not culturally accepted in populated areas, and it's doesn't help while walking in the wilderness.

Then as soon as she GETS something to wear "Omg it took so long its even worse that she has clothes now!" Which is just... bizarre. This is the kind of thing that sometimes turned me off from enjoying oracle for hire snarking because every now and then it got this way where even doing what you have been demanding he do just gets more scorn. I suppose this could be a better clip.
    Personally, I'm willing to just let go and enjoy the moments where there isn't a naked body on the page.
    However, I'm under no illusion that this was an artistic choice or that it was forced by the plot/world.

"Why now" is a legitimate question regarding the art, because usually it's expected to have some meaning or at least a reason.
    Maybe some sort of symbolism matching the Vine-lady learning about herself with her desire to wear cloths (Adam and Eve style)
    Or maybe an artistic parallel between Arduak giving Snout the cloak and him making something for the Vine-lady.
    But not here.

The only reason I find the question of "why get cloths now" weird, is not because it's an illegitimate question, it's because it's freaking obvious.
    And not only obvious, but stated directly in one of the posts by the author: Vine-lady is naked because Mookie wanted to draw naked, and she stops being naked for the same reason.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Guess that's a good place as any other to start teaching.

4. - Top - End - #1024

Nice way to try to work out a way to communicate at least the basics.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nice way to try to work out a way to communicate at least the basics.
    Let's hope she isn't just imitating him and actually learns something.
    Otherwise this might get difficult.

Wait. What am I saying?
    The other way around. Some actual difficulties could actually be interesting.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

She probably doesn't understand EVERYTHING right away.
    She might understand the faces and relation to the word, but for now she is just imitating grammar part until she understands it by context with some other examples.

I'm also assuming there is not just one page of lesson each stop.
    I don't want to see all the lessons, that would be boring.
    Would be nice just to deliver this point by showing that if you flip the pages there are several lesson pages, but it's not really required.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think it might also have something to do with her rage issues. Teach her what emotions are, and see if it can get better.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

I find it kind of weird that the only part in the comic so far that has any resemblance to a story despite some flaws (actual flaws, not just nitpicking), is also the only part that has no connection whatsoever to DD.

You have an obstacle created by Snout being mute, an actual risk that wasn't resolved in one panel (well, sort of...), and a solution made out of teaching her alternative ways to express her anger in ways that don't involve skull fractures.
    If things go well, in several comic days we'll see something in broken English like "I am sad, I am angry, I not know who me is".

But enough about the good stuff, time to travel again...

Update

I find it hard to understand what's the point of the scenic route pages.
    Each one could easily be summed in a few panels, or even combined with another activity like the teaching part.

All the wonderful places with butterflies, mushrooms, or ruins will never be relevant to the plot and contribute nothing to the worldbuilding.
    And now with the "go east" directions, showing a background like this makes the instructions even sillier.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I find it kind of weird that the only part in the comic so far that has any resemblance to a story despite some flaws (actual flaws, not just nitpicking), is also the only part that has no connection whatsoever to DD.

You have an obstacle created by Snout being mute, an actual risk that wasn't resolved in one panel (well, sort of...), and a solution made out of teaching her alternative ways to express her anger in ways that don't involve skull fractures.
    If things go well, in several comic days we'll see something in broken English like "I am sad, I am angry, I not know who me is".

But enough about the good stuff, time to travel again...

Update

I find it hard to understand what's the point of the scenic route pages.
    Each one could easily be summed in a few panels, or even combined with another activity like the teaching part.

All the wonderful places with butterflies, mushrooms, or ruins will never be relevant to the plot and contribute nothing to the worldbuilding.
    And now with the "go east" directions, showing a background like this makes the instructions even sillier.
    Don't shame Mookie just for wanting to flex his fantastic, flawless art. He's been a professional artist for over a decade! He's earned it.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Don't shame Mookie just for wanting to flex his fantastic, flawless art. He's been a professional artist for over a decade! He's earned it.
    Now say that again without laughing.

Oh well, more traveling scenes.
    Those pages really make me want to kick the front seats and chant "Are we there yet?". Metaphorical speaking.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

When I started this comic, I genuinely did not see "harem protagonist" in the cards, yet here we are.

12. - Top - End - #1032

When I started this comic, I genuinely did not see "harem protagonist" in the cards, yet here we are.
    Monster girls are hawt now. Once she can turn into plant monster at will her place in the harem is assured. At least going by anime rules this is the case.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I mean didn't we already notice five (thread) pages ago?
    This only makes it canon.

Oh well, at least there are dumber gimmicks than "deaf and mute" as far as harem protagonists go...

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Fell off a cliff and now surrounded by giant earth elementals?
    Nothing to see here, move along.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, Mookie could have entirely cut out the cliff, and nothing would change. What was even the point in adding a moment of danger if the characters were never actually in danger (they fell off the cliff, anyways, and suffered no injuries), and it didn't inconvenience them in any way (they have not been turned away from their destination as their destination is merely "east")?

16. - Top - End - #1036

This strikes me as him trying to show off his interest in drawing crazy and interesting landscapes and such more than anything. And the fall? Might have been his attempt at showing the relationship between the two growing or something. Not saying its a GOOD attempt, but that might be what he was trying for.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Is it just me, or do the travel updates become more chaotic each update?

And since according to Mookie there are two updates left for this chapter, prepare to suddenly see a huge gate thingy on Wednesday, after they certainly walked only east all the time.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Those butterfly-sharks have to be among the dumbest designs I've ever seen*.
    I'd call them the dumbest but those... things in the last panel are a strong contender.
    Mushroom megatherium? How do those things work? How does any of this work?

*Also, they're in the wrong environment.
    Unless they're actually mosquitoes and those mountains are alive there's no way those things don't starve.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Unless they're actually mosquitoes and those mountains are alive there's no way those things don't starve.
    That's not necessarily true. There could be giant flowers right at the base of the mountain that we can't see, or maybe they're in the middle of a migration.

20. - Top - End - #1040

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Those butterfly-sharks have to be among the dumbest designs I've ever seen*.
    I'd call them the dumbest but those... things in the last panel are a strong contender.
    Mushroom megatherium? How do those things work? How does any of this work?

Sky Sharks: "Sky sharks are an interesting breed of creature in the Wild Edge, even among the many other interesting creatures found there. Sky Sharks are a symbiotic creature who rely on the Anti Gravity Butterfly to maintain their elevation. In exchange, these herbivorous butterflies are able to feast off the plant matter contained within the belly of the prey of the sky shark and thus live a simple and easy life.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ogre in the Playground

As long as we are only in the wild zone or the dream scape, everything can be shrugged off as "it's a wacky place"

But I doubt Mookie put any thought beyond "it's the wild zone so I'm allowed to"

22. - Top - End - #1042

Yeah honestly, its like I said earlier, I think this is basically mookie just stretching his muscles and drawing whatever he can imagine. I mean, he needs to show snout and his lady friend traveling, and it would be WAY more obnoxious if they went one panel then spotted the gates, so he gets to fill each panel with something new to suggest they are traveling far and also not waste a months worth of updates making something happen during them. The actual time involved in traveling can be left hazy as its not truly that important so long as it seems far enough to be a journey rather than a couple mile hike.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

As long as we are only in the wild zone or the dream scape, everything can be shrugged off as "it's a wacky place"
    Then let's not go there, if it's such a silly place.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah honestly, its like I said earlier, I think this is basically mookie just stretching his muscles and drawing whatever he can imagine. I mean, he needs to show snout and his lady friend traveling, and it would be WAY more obnoxious if they went one panel then spotted the gates, so he gets to fill each panel with something new to suggest they are traveling far and also not waste a months worth of updates making something happen during them. The actual time involved in traveling can be left hazy as its not truly that important so long as it seems far enough to be a journey rather than a couple mile hike.
    Considering he got his accurate instructions of "go east" right before the cliff, for all we know this entire thing till now could have been just a single day.

I don't need specific times, but a rough estimate of hours, days or weeks could be useful.
    How long did Snout have to teach her? Did he try connecting through the dreams? Did they try to contact him?

Because of the vague instructions any answer will be bad, but at least it will be an answer.

And there are way to do a travel montage without wasting random pages.
    Imagine an update, four panels in each row.
    First panel is a new environment, second is them taking a break and sometimes working on the journal, third is them asleep in a makeshift tent where the moon is above them, and the forth is them starting walking again.
    This repeat for as many times as Mookie wants, and the shape of the moon is an indication of passage of time (at least one night, maybe more)
    Sure, the moon doesn't have to be the same as on earth, but it will give a rough estimation if we're measuring in days or weeks.

The downside is that Mookie will put the story and not his hobbies in the front, but that's not really a bad thing...

Edit: Rethinking about it, all he had to do is add the sun/moon in the background and slightly change the art (them camping when the moon is up) to give an estimate if it's all in the same day or say 2-3 days
    Last edited by random11; 2020-12-19 at 11:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There's just so much I dislike about this comic - I know of Dominic Deegan only by fame, and have no interest of reading through 3000+ strips of mediocre-to-bad webcomics.

But this, still being short, I've read after finding the thread.

And damn is it awful. So far the thing that bothers me the most is how everyone seems to write like they were just talking or thinking out loud - Snout's diary is the most egregious example, the way he writes is not how you write down your personal thoughts in a journal. Instead it's a freaking quest log from an RPG! It feels like playing Oblivion and checking if you have any quests that need to be done: "The Ink Witch was kidnapped by other witches! I need to look for her!" "A mysterious vine woman has joined me in my travels, I should take the time to teach her how to write." "I need to craft some clothes." Ugh.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

I... Lack the words to describe this update.
    Maybe I just slapped my forehead too hard.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

I... Lack the words to describe this update.
    Maybe I just slapped my forehead too hard.
    I would say this is a parody if I didn't already know that Mookie is 100% genuine. He probably laughed at his own joke and how clever he is.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This is supposed to be the "Gate"?
    At least I assume so given the presentation.

But if this is it the instructions go from bad to...
    I don't think I can describe this without a long string of expletives.

30. - Top - End - #1050

I just.... there is so much stupid with this. Lets stick to the obvious for now. How exactly did he trip over these tiny rocks? He wasnt exactly walking down a paved road, so its not like sudden slight alteration of the ground is enough to make a normal person fall flat on their face like that unless he has spent this entire trip shuffling and never once lifting his feet.

Secondly.... wow. The gate is about a 10 foot diameter ring with rocks roughly 6 inches high to mark the circle in the middle of a featureless plain that has no roads or paths leading to it. So of course he walked right to it like a magnet to a lodestone with no more direction than east to work with for however long he has been walking, INCLUDING FALLING OFF A CLIFF.