New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

Update

Alright, I have to admit the signs made me laugh a bit.
    I'll even ignore the art of the last one that makes it look like Snout is reading the back side of the sign.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Update

Alright, I have to admit the signs made me laugh a bit.
    I'll even ignore the art of the last one that makes it look like Snout is reading the back side of the sign.
    His face is more of a why am I doing this? then reading the sign. He might be reflecting on the messege written on the sign though.

Also, it was pretty funny. Kind of like the stereotypical lovecraftian narrator writing in his diary while being consumed by unspeakable horrors.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

For me, it reminder me a bit of Monty Python, that part from the Holy Grail

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Honestly with Mookie’s writing it’s hard to feel any expectation of danger to characters imo.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Honestly with Mookie’s writing it’s hard to feel any expectation of danger to characters imo.
    No argument here.

Still, here comes the danger.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Especially not when the monster looks that dumb. Now, done right, an amorphous mass of flesh can look terrifying. I mean, many of Silent Hill's monsters are little more than that, but this one just looks silly. I'm more curious about how something like that can even be taller than it is wide. It's stupid.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

My bet:
    Friday - The monster looks like it's scaring Snout.
    Monday - Monster helps Snout climb to reach the page.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

My bet:
    Oh god. I can totally see that happening.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Colossus in the Playground

My bet:
    Its behind him going, "Excuse me, EXCUSE ME! Im lost and not sure how I got here, can you help? Well THATS rude, you shouldnt ignore people in need!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

I think one of the problems is the proximity of the monster and the sudden appearance.

It's something I thought about while watching the previous episode of "Pennyworth" (yes, I'm the one watching it)

In most shows, we know the main protagonist is not going to die.
    So it's rarely a question of "Will he survive", and more "HOW will he survive".

In the scene I thought about, the protagonist just finished avenging the death of his fiance, still, he is at his lowest point, does not feel part of the world and knows for sure that someone will try to take him out since the killer he avenged was a high member of society.

Imagine if this cliffhanger ended with a single sniper looking at him.
    How will he survive?
    Did he predict the sniper and the next episode will start with one of his friends sneaking behind him?
    Will the sniper miss?
    Will the sniper hit the REAL killer and reveal himself to be a friend?
    There are many options for such a cliffhanger.

Instead, the episode ended not with a single sniper, but an entire firing squad surrounding him.
    This is a bigger threat, but as a result a lot less interesting with fewer valid options.
    The only two options are some kind of a complicated scheme, or that they are not an immediate threat.
    And indeed, beginning of next episode and they were just there to arrest him.

This is more or less my feeling here.
    If the monster appeared 100 meters behind him, following him, at least it would raise a few more options to the question of "How will Snout escape".
    But when it's right behind him? Only two options left are deus ex machina, or not a threat to begin with.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Instead its kinda funny.
    Hmm.. i think my money will be on this being the signmaker.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Guess we're going for the coincidental escape.
    Hard to believe considering how close the monster was, but whatever, at this point I've given up.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Update at this point I've given up.
    Pun intended?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Now I'm questioning if the dark marks on the spikey rocks are all its blood from the times it stabbed itself on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. I set my expectations super low, and yet Mookie somehow still managed to disappoint me.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

So.. it was something noone managed to predict.
    But of course people are still bitching here
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Unpredictable does not equal good. Something can be unpredictable and still bad.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Unpredictable does not equal good. Something can be unpredictable and still bad.
    Exactly.
    I mean, imagine the Death Star blowing up because Tarkin spilled a glass of wine.
    Unexpected? Sure.
    Good? Definitely not.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Exactly.
    I mean, imagine the Death Star blowing up because Tarkin spilled a glass of wine.
    Unexpected? Sure.
    Good? Definitely not.
    Well, that could actually work as a joke in a Star Wars parody. Not!Tarkin spends the entire movie asking someone to get him a drink, but it never shows up, being a running gag. Then, the rebels show up and attack. They almost succeed, but at the last moment, Not!Luke chokes and misses the shot. Just then as the not!Empire is celebrating, Not!Tarkin finally gets his drink and immediately trips and drops it down one of those endless shafts and right into the core, causing the Not!Death Star to explode.

This, though, is just dumb and unfunny.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Well, that could actually work as a joke in a Star Wars parody. Not!Tarkin spends the entire movie asking someone to get him a drink, but it never shows up, being a running gag. Then, the rebels show up and attack. They almost succeed, but at the last moment, Not!Luke chokes and misses the shot. Just then as the not!Empire is celebrating, Not!Tarkin finally gets his drink and immediately trips and drops it down one of those endless shafts and right into the core, causing the Not!Death Star to explode.
    That would be funny because it was properly set up and planned ahead of time, though. You and I both know Mookie isn't capable of that much forethought.

(Although I will say that you could still make that joke funny with very minimal setup- just smash-cut from Luke flubbing the shot to the bridge crew partying and someone pops a champagne bottle and the cork hits the self-destruct button. It'd be less satisfying because it's not the conclusion to a running gag, but it is still a funny mental image.)

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

That would be funny because it was properly set up and planned ahead of time, though. You and I both know Mookie isn't capable of that much forethought.

(Although I will say that you could still make that joke funny with very minimal setup- just smash-cut from Luke flubbing the shot to the bridge crew partying and someone pops a champagne bottle and the cork hits the self-destruct button. It'd be less satisfying because it's not the conclusion to a running gag, but it is still a funny mental image.)
    True. Don't read this part. I'm warning you. Oh, no. You read it, didn't you? Well, it's too late now; you're cursed. I'm so sorry.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

I think part of the problem is that the joke is too close to his regular writing style.

Am I supposed to take instant threat resolutions by a coincidence as a joke from the same author who frequently presents a threat and gets rid of it only a few panels later, and who uses coincidences pretty much everywhere?

Last week, I wanted to make a complex guess about Snout, something about him having a power he is unaware of, subconsciously manipulating the chaos of the wild zone to his needs and desires.
    But then I figured out that with only slight changes I can make the same narrative excuse pretty much for every character and story he have written so far, so what's the point?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

I think part of the problem is that the joke is too close to his regular writing style.

Am I supposed to take instant threat resolutions by a coincidence as a joke from the same author who frequently presents a threat and gets rid of it only a few panels later, and who uses coincidences pretty much everywhere?

Last week, I wanted to make a complex guess about Snout, something about him having a power he is unaware of, subconsciously manipulating the chaos of the wild zone to his needs and desires.
    But then I figured out that with only slight changes I can make the same narrative excuse pretty much for every character and story he have written so far, so what's the point?
    Now, if Mookie was a clever man, he could use this to lampshade and poke fun his own poor writing. He could make your explanation canon, and turn it into a joke by having it not be at all special in this world and that even the great Dominic Deegan had the same power. It could be a moment of self reflection, showing how much he's grown in the past decade+ of writing.

Of course, this won't happen because Mookie hasn't grown and never will. He's still the same writer he was when he started this comic, and this sequel story only shines a light on that fact.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

Now, if Mookie was a clever man, he could use this to lampshade and poke fun his own poor writing. He could make your explanation canon, and turn it into a joke by having it not be at all special in this world and that even the great Dominic Deegan had the same power. It could be a moment of self reflection, showing how much he's grown in the past decade+ of writing.

Of course, this won't happen because Mookie hasn't grown and never will. He's still the same writer he was when he started this comic, and this sequel story only shines a light on that fact.
    I've been meaning to ask- didn't Mookie go on to do a different project, too? That whole... Star Power thing, if I'm not mistaken.

Is that one also obviously written by him, or is the other guy he's working with enough of a counterbalance to keep things functional?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been meaning to ask- didn't Mookie go on to do a different project, too? That whole... Star Power thing, if I'm not mistaken.

Is that one also obviously written by him, or is the other guy he's working with enough of a counterbalance to keep things functional?
    Yep.

Unfortunately, the other guy (Garth) is only the artist. Mookie does all the writing. So, it's basically just Dominic Deegan with better art.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

Yep.

Unfortunately, the other guy (Garth) is only the artist. Mookie does all the writing. So, it's basically just Dominic Deegan with better art.
    ...how much is it "Dominic Deegan with better art"? Like, if I were to give it a try, would I merely be putting up with "what's pacing?" or would it get as bad as "this is Stonewater, he's a rapist, but he feels really bad about it so it's okay"?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

...how much is it "Dominic Deegan with better art"? Like, if I were to give it a try, would I merely be putting up with "what's pacing?" or would it get as bad as "this is Stonewater, he's a rapist, but he feels really bad about it so it's okay"?
    The pacing is faster, with emphasis on *faster*, not better.
    No snail paced Maltak desert arc, but also very fast start from nobody to super-powered being before any character is set, including I think two upgrades in power without any need.

So far no Stonewater, but there are a few instances where there are weird moral problems due to unresolved plots (also, a killer that turns good because he feels really bad about it).

We did get an entire "around the world" arc, meaning - Travel around the universe to show races that will probably never be relevant again beyond some casual reference.

Other than that, expect the usual - Things mainly being advanced by coincidences, points being created just to be abandoned later, challenges sometimes resolved in the same page they were created.

I will say there is an improvement in the creation and development of the side characters, but their development is also tossed aside the second it's needed to advance the main plot.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

The pacing is faster, with emphasis on *faster*, not better.
    No snail paced Maltak desert arc, but also very fast start from nobody to super-powered being before any character is set, including I think two upgrades in power without any need.

So far no Stonewater, but there are a few instances where there are weird moral problems due to unresolved plots (also, a killer that turns good because he feels really bad about it).

We did get an entire "around the world" arc, meaning - Travel around the universe to show races that will probably never be relevant again beyond some casual reference.

Other than that, expect the usual - Things mainly being advanced by coincidences, points being created just to be abandoned later, challenges sometimes resolved in the same page they were created.

I will say there is an improvement in the creation and development of the side characters, but their development is also tossed aside the second it's needed to advance the main plot.
    As long as there's no Stonewater, everything else can be chalked up as subjective matters of taste. Given that I liked DD when I first read it(when I was in the early days of high school), it should probably be fine.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

As long as there's no Stonewater, everything else can be chalked up as subjective matters of taste. Given that I liked DD when I first read it(when I was in the early days of high school), it should probably be fine.
    The writing flaws are objectively there, enjoying despite them is subjective.

Anyway, keep in mind that if Stonewater was your limit, we are currently in an arc about slavery and human trafficking.
    Don't think it will go that bad, but who knows?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Firbolg in the Playground

From my point of view, Star Power has remarkably few themes in common with DD. The gore isn't there. The animeism isn't there. It isn't a fantasy comic trying to be a superhero comic. The government is good. And DD was, as someone else said, a "Flintstones" setting, with magic instead of the stone age. There are no attempts to state progressive things while getting trampled in the comic's own legs (eggs, gays). There is no desire to be edgy. And I don't think there has been any concert.

There still is the ultra-idealised dimension of friendship from DD, but there have been no betrayals a la "The Room". There also is some "bad guy conversion".

There still are my slays, though!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).