New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    From my point of view, Star Power has remarkably few themes in common with DD. The gore isn't there. The animeism isn't there. It isn't a fantasy comic trying to be a superhero comic. The government is good. And DD was, as someone else said, a "Flintstones" setting, with magic instead of the stone age. There are no attempts to state progressive things while getting trampled in the comic's own legs (eggs, gays). There is no desire to be edgy. And I don't think there has been any concert.

There still is the ultra-idealised dimension of friendship from DD, but there have been no betrayals a la "The Room". There also is some "bad guy conversion".

There still are my slays, though!
    Well, there WAS this post about him wanting to add stuff like this in the next arc (the current one?)
    Maybe he just forgot or changed his mind about, but it is something he is considering.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Now see, because Mookie spent so long making a fool of this thing, I just can't feel worried for Snout. All intimidation it may have had is long gone. And if, somehow, Snout does get injured, it'll feel forced and hackneyed.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Some comics combine jokes with tension, by itself it's not a problem.
    But usually, even when it fails, you know if a specific scene was designed to be funny or tense.

Here? I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to feel here.
    In some panels I say "well, look at the design, it's obviously meant as a joke", but at other panels on the same page it's just as obvious it's designed as an actual danger.
    Since it fails at both, and the "danger avoided by coincidence" is constantly used by Mookie in different contexts, I honestly don't get what this scene was designed to be.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

Im still expecting a "haha you only thought he was in danger because we couldnt hear the monster talking. It was trying to convince snout to stop climbing as its dangerous." That would be the "clever" kind of setup mookie does.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Congratulations for Snout for what I consider his first active action that relies on past experiences instead of dumb luck.

Also, apparently this monster was supposed to be an actual threat.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Update

Congratulations for Snout for what I consider his first active action that relies on past experiences instead of dumb luck.

Soon he might even act as a character with agency!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Too bad on it being the usage of his deus ex machina guide that can now, apparently, also get him out of danger. But, baby steps, you know?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Too bad on it being the usage of his deus ex machina guide that can now, apparently, also get him out of danger. But, baby steps, you know?
    I don't think it counts as a deus ex machina at this point.
    It's fairly limited, so I don't think it can be used frequently.
    More importantly, the power was introduced before, so it didn't come out of nowhere.

Wow, I just figured out how low my expectations were.

One thing I noticed though, is that the spell is writing to Snout while he is holding the page to the opposite direction (also, clearly not in the state of mind to read).
    Just another case where the "deaf" thing was just replacing speech bubbles with written pages without any thought that there is a difference between the two.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing I noticed though, is that the spell is writing to Snout while he is holding the page to the opposite direction (also, clearly not in the state of mind to read).
    Just another case where the "deaf" thing was just replacing speech bubbles with written pages without any thought that there is a difference between the two.

I had this same thought when reading the comic.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Okay, at this point if Snout DOESN'T have any superpower to manipulate luck, it's complete lunacy.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

So. Snout, oblivious to the monster's presence, accidentally broke off a spire that pierced it in the eye and saved him. Then, still oblivious, he accidentally broke off another spire that jammed its mouth and, again, saved him. Next, after finally seeing the monster, he manages to not get eaten after falling right into its open mouth because...the art doesn't actually say what happened here. Finally, while trying to run away, he slips on the monster's drool and prat falls right into a third spire, which breaks off and, seemingly, kills the monster.

This is the dumbest series of events I've ever seen.

Also, I just noticed that on the last page, the magic scrap of paper refers to Snout by name. It's possible that he could have told it off panel, of course, but I know Mookie too well to assume that. I'm sure the paper just knew from the beginning what his name is.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

So... is it too late to rename Wild Edge as Yakety Sax land? Because this is pretty much the ammount of slapstick we are getting here (not quite on the same level mind you).

edit:
    So a solid achievement. Not in the best of directions, but who are we to tell artists what art is, eh?
    Last edited by Radar; 2019-10-07 at 06:52 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

13. - Top - End - #193

So. Snout, oblivious to the monster's presence, accidentally broke off a spire that pierced it in the eye and saved him. Then, still oblivious, he accidentally broke off another spire that jammed its mouth and, again, saved him. Next, after finally seeing the monster, he manages to not get eaten after falling right into its open mouth because...the art doesn't actually say what happened here. Finally, while trying to run away, he slips on the monster's drool and prat falls right into a third spire, which breaks off and, seemingly, kills the monster.

Also, I just noticed that on the last page, the magic scrap of paper refers to Snout by name. It's possible that he could have told it off panel, of course, but I know Mookie too well to assume that. I'm sure the paper just knew from the beginning what his name is.
    He avoided being eaten by making the talking paper spit ink in the creatures eye then running. Also, I seriously thought he slipped on another page there. *EDIT* My bad earlier on I think he rolled out of its mouth before it could snap shut. This monster seems to have terrible reaction times.
    Last edited by Traab; 2019-10-07 at 01:57 PM.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground

These scenes are visually too messy for me. The only one I am OK with is when he used the paper spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

After bending over backwards in the last update (both literally and metaphorically) it's hard to point coincidences that will top whatever happened there, but I still find it convenient that he finds the pages by order.

Also, the writing is WAY too big to be part of a book.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

After bending over backwards in the last update (both literally and metaphorically) it's hard to point coincidences that will top whatever happened there, but I still find it convenient that he finds the pages by order.

Also, the writing is WAY too big to be part of a book.
    Maybe it's a large print book for old people?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Maybe it's a large print book for old people?
    Even that would be excessive*.
    Maybe it's for first readers?

At that size youre better off learning braille.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Snout will discover it's a magical book and can make the font smaller with a pinch movement.
    He will then look with a face toward the 4th wall like it's the most obvious thing to try.

This event will miraculously happen when Mookie will be bored of delivering a book one sentence at a time, just before an entire page of an info dump.

19. - Top - End - #199

Maybe it's not a book at all. Maybe it is a poster divided in smaller parts, meant to be pasted together to a billboard. Maybe he's just reading the advertisement for a book or a movie or a theatre piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe it's not a book at all. Maybe it is a poster divided in smaller parts, meant to be pasted together to a billboard. Maybe he's just reading the advertisement for a book or a movie or a theatre piece.
    Not sure why, but this comment reminded me of this.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

I guess you are right, considering there are only two pages left.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Not much to say.
    He still treats written and speech balloons the same way.

Other than that, the books might as well be called "things to move the plot", but at least he's actually DOING something, so... baby steps.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Not much to say.
    He still treats written and speech balloons the same way.

Other than that, the books might as well be called "things to move the plot", but at least he's actually DOING something, so... baby steps.
    Don't worry. This is just a red herring. The books will be useless, and then he'll step on the next page while walking home.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

I just don't get this clown parade. He has to be doing it on purpose, right? For god's sake, why?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    I just don't get this clown parade. He has to be doing it on purpose, right? For god's sake, why?
    Because....

👐

wild edge

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

The research itself is fine, it's even going for WHAT he is checking, and not just skipping to the next hint.

The revelation that the page finder is not really a page finder is kind of pointless.
    It just means it's a different name of a spell or something else, nothing more.

27. - Top - End - #207

Update

The research itself is fine, it's even going for WHAT he is checking, and not just skipping to the next hint.

The revelation that the page finder is not really a page finder is kind of pointless.
    It just means it's a different name of a spell or something else, nothing more.
    Or there are more advanced versions of it. It even states its a novice spell for novice spellcasters, you would think that means an expert could use a more difficult spell that has many other features. That said, clearly this is a clue that there is something going on here beyond his personal quest to find pages.

28. - Top - End - #208

Page finders will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot communicate.

Obviously the explanation is going to be that the spell has been awakened by the magic of the Wild Edge, because of course.

It's not even a very original idea, Eberron had it before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Either the ink witch has the intelligent spell metamagic feat, or, as Gez said, it's the Wild Edge. At this point, I'm not sure which is true as neither is actually particularly relevant. It's either telling us that the ink witch is more than a novice (which we already assumed) or that magic is weird in this place (which we already knew). All in all, this reveal just doesn't do much.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Or the spell is something other than a page-finder, and it lies to Snout for no reason.
    Like Mitch tried to pretend to be a recorded message.

Update

I hate being right
    Last edited by random11; 2019-10-18 at 12:38 AM.