Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 470
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Or the spell is something other than a page-finder, and it lies to Snout for no reason.
    Like Mitch tried to pretend to be a recorded message.

    Update

    I hate being right
    Aww, and here I thought it was always fun to be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    I like how even the book he is reading, not magical at all, highlights the important part for us. And >>>>>>> INKS!!!!!!!! <<<<<<<<<
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    I've been really surprised at low little I've liked this series, as I was a big fan of Dominic Deegan and even at the end didn't get how others thought it was going poorly. I stopped reading this a bit ago. But today I read through what had been posted up to now and, taken as a lump, it's a tolerable read with some enjoyment. Like, I feel it's worth the time to enjoy it and, with this reveal today, some plot that I kinda care about is starting.

    The above is meant as complimentary, at least in contrast to original opinions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I like how even the book he is reading, not magical at all, highlights the important part for us. And >>>>>>> INKS!!!!!!!! <<<<<<<<<
    I also found that a bit... something negative.
    However, perhaps whoever wrote the book was really happy about being able to write a good book that had some inherent neutralizing effects to the area, lest his book become damaged. At least, that's some really thin theory that could justify it.

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Or the spell is something other than a page-finder, and it lies to Snout for no reason.
    Like Mitch tried to pretend to be a recorded message.

    Update

    I hate being right
    Well then. I guess the only path forward in this story is that the ink spell is going to become Snout's sidekick and join with him to form a Venom-like superhero costume.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    I usually try not just to be angry but to explain WHY something doesn't work, but guessing the worst case scenario a single update before it was confirmed took me by surprise, so here we go...

    A plot point like that has a chance of working in a SF environment, or in a well established/recognized magic system which DD obviously doesn't have.

    In Star Power, Mitch tried to pretend he is a recorder message.
    Because both the readers and the characters know what "recorder message" means, as well as what it is and what it isn't, it was easy to recognize Mitch is lying, opening potential tension to the question of "why is Mitch trying to withhold information".
    Well, it led nowhere in Star Power because Mookie, but at least it has a potential to lead somewhere.

    Now let's look at this version of basically the same event: Ditch (Itch? Splich? Any better name to use for now?) introduced itself as a page finder spell.
    Neither the readers nor Snout knew what it means, so we just assumed that's what it's supposed to do and the only variant in the ink sneezes. Why shouldn't we?
    So the entire question of "why" is so pointless it's almost painful.
    Ditch could simply say at the start "I'm a spell designed to look for the pages", boom, all problems solved.
    Why bother pretending he is an obscure spell when it was obvious that Snout (or the readers) can't tell the difference anyway?
    What things were prevented from Snout before, and now he knows they are possible?

    This entire "twist" is pointless like it was in Star Power, a twist for the sake of telling you had one even if there was no narrative or character motivation for it.
    Here it's worse because it's the second time in two different comics the same shtick is played after failing to recognize it didn't work the first time, and because it never had a chance to work here anyway.

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Well then. I guess the only path forward in this story is that the ink spell is going to become Snout's sidekick and join with him to form a Venom-like superhero costume.
    Don't you go getting our hopes up with things that are "interesting" and "cool." This is Dominic Deegan.

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    I hereby dub his written companion... Steve Inks, Stinks for short. Somehow it feels.... fitting.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Update

    Let's count the ways why this is dumb, just in case someone thinks it still has standards.

    - Why does Snout thinks the page is a communication spell and not a variation of a finder spell?
    Everything in Stink's "behavior" suggests it's a different entity.
    Probably CREATED by the ink witch, but we already figured that out because... ink.

    - Why did the witch think Snout wouldn't help her (the woman he already rescued from death), but will help a random spell telling him to do stuff?
    Because keeping secrets happens in stories, so it happens here too.
    Kind of like the CW approach.

    - How is glue supposed to add missing words that were torn out.
    Screw that, magic.

    - You know, we would probably be more tense from the deadly tree if the last "scary place" didn't end in one of the worst slapstick sequences I've ever witnessed.
    Also, his face looks more annoyed than scared.

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Let's count the ways why this is
    - You know, we would probably be more tense from the deadly tree if the last "scary place" didn't end in one of the worst slapstick sequences I've ever witnessed.
    Also, his face looks more annoyed than scared.
    Wouldn't you be annoyed if the author was still pretending your life was in danger after the last sequence?

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Wouldn't you be annoyed if the author was still pretending your life was in danger after the last sequence?
    Oh, you can be sure we'll have panels indicating real threat when we get closer to the tree.
    Right besides other panels that show it's just a joke.
    This comic confuses me...

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Oh, you can be sure we'll have panels indicating real threat when we get closer to the tree.
    Right besides other panels that show it's just a joke.
    This comic confuses me...
    Now you're really experiencing the effect of the wild edge

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SaintRidley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The land of corn

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    I wonder if orcs would be good at hunting this tree.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Update

    Good idea, take the only good joke and just repeat it.
    That won't get boring fast.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Now you're really experiencing the effect of the wild edge
    I do feel something in my stomach, not sure if it's ink though.

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Huh. Looking at this page, I'm getting the most bizarre sense of deja vu. Weird.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2019-10-23 at 12:07 PM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    I know practice makes perfect, but this isn't what that means.

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    I know practice makes perfect, but this isn't what that means.
    What separates a master from a novice is ten thousand mistakes.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    So I guess all those signs were placed by the same guy.
    Because there's no way two people were that dumb.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

    Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")



  18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    So I guess all those signs were placed by the same guy.
    Because there's no way two people were that dumb.
    If it was the same guy, he has to be pretty smart, since he survived to plant post signs on yet another deadly threat. Also, he is doing a vital community service, which is commendable.

    From more general comments, having a deaf main character was a great opportunity to strive for "show, not tell", which would be a great learning experience for Mookie. Regretfully, the "spell everything out in words anyway" angle is dominating the narrative. A shame really.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    If it was the same guy, he has to be pretty smart, since he survived to plant post signs on yet another deadly threat. Also, he is doing a vital community service, which is commendable.
    Not smart, just lucky.*
    And only one time so far.
    For all we know the monster was the last time they (yet again)
    put up so many warning signs near something dangerous that the danger could take a bite.

    Or they're a massive troll, made the signs look like that and are actually perfectly fine.

    Or those „signs” are actually a native lifeform that lures people into certain death to feed on what's left of them afterwards.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

    Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")



  20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Bets for the next updates:

    He will try something semi-smart like building an air-glider out of giant leafs since the roots feel the motion.
    It will fail in the middle of the attempt.
    A lighting will strike the tree, giving Snout exactly what he needs.

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Bets for the next updates:

    He will try something semi-smart like building an air-glider out of giant leafs since the roots feel the motion.
    It will fail in the middle of the attempt.
    A lighting will strike the tree, giving Snout exactly what he needs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that's just an unfair comparison. JJBA's nonsense at least has the decency to be wildly over the top. Dominic Deegan's nonsense is disappointingly mundane in comparison.

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Now that's just an unfair comparison. JJBA's nonsense at least has the decency to be wildly over the top. Dominic Deegan's nonsense is disappointingly mundane in comparison.
    Yeah, but as a Jojo fan, I'm contractually obligated to reference it at literally every possible opportunity.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Or those „signs” are actually a native lifeform that lures people into certain death to feed on what's left of them afterwards.
    Sounds plausiable to be honest, I can see mookie pulling that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    or a hand-glider made of an animal, like in this classic movie

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had never noticed that JJ and late DD do have something in common (besides alliterative names): over-the-top gore and beams. Also a bad guy with freezing attacks. Also, at the beginning of the second story arc,

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I had never noticed that JJ and late DD do have something in common (besides alliterative names): over-the-top gore and beams. Also a bad guy with freezing attacks. Also, at the beginning of the second story arc,

    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think DD killed any dogs, though.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I don't think DD killed any dogs, though.
    Given that this was the only dog in the Deeganverse, I can't say I'm surprised
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Update

    Okay, so Snout is NOT going to try something semi-smart and we're jumping right to failure with the expected lucky result next update.

    Meanwhile, it's a threat, really, it is!

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SaintRidley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The land of corn

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Well, Snout was an active agent in escaping the tree's grasp at least.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •