New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

You know, Snout brought a paint brush, but I didn't see him bring any paint. Is Mookie also pretending like the brush is just a pen? Or is ink just a superior magic?
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    You know, Snout brought a paint brush, but I didn't see him bring any paint. Is Mookie also pretending like the brush is just a pen? Or is ink just a superior magic?
    The magic paper can produce ink, it looks like.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Well, Snout was an active agent in escaping the tree's grasp at least.
    Can't really call it an active agent.
    Last time, there was that one page he used a power that was established before, and that page was pretty much the only good thing in that sequence of events.

This time, he just used his strength to break the branch.
    Either he is super strong and that was never established, or the branch is not much of a threat as it seems.

Sure, it's scary, but if you can just break free and run away, it's not THAT bad.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Sigh...

I really don't know what to write about this comic anymore.
    On one hand, it's a pretty good update as a joke.
    On the other hand, on whose expense is this joke on? What is actually the joke?

Is this a parody on his writing style, while it keeps going with the same style in the parallel comic?
    Is this another proof that Snout has a power that is indistinguishable from the normal writing style?
    Was this supposed to be non-ironically funny as a coincidence as if we don't get them all the time?

Is this a joke on me for still trying to comment about it?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Hahaha.. oh god.
    At the moment this comic bring double amusement.
    First there are the comic strips, who are actually funny enough.
    And then afterwards there are bonus amusement in how miserable everyone else are in here
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Not really miserable, just... Confused.

Usually, in any form of story telling, whether it works or not you can at least understand what the intent was.

Was it supposed to be an encounter that contains a joke, or an encounter that by itself is a joke?
    Is this an event or a parody on events?
    Is this how the world rules are, something unique to a character, or just a series of events that have an unknown reason?

Here? I just can't decipher it.
    There are times like the coincidences look like self parody, others when it looks like an intended way on how the world behaves and we just need to understand the rules, and other yet that this is just a continuation of the same writing style and it means nothing.
    Threats are created, but it's unclear how much of it is just a joke or was intended to be taken seriously.
    Main character is either serious well intended person, an "inspector gadget" type of buffoon, or a wizard that can unconsciously bend reality.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Colossus in the Playground

Ok, this update I genuinely laughed at. It was a good one.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Ok, this update I genuinely laughed at. It was a good one.
    Ditto. It might be one of the best jokes Mookie has ever (intentionally) made.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

I'm still mad that Mookie has shown he's capable of coming up with another reason why Snout needs to deal with the tree, because...

...really? Skori resin is used for book repair? Skori trees, which are that dangerous to go near? How does anyone know Skori resin is useful for anything? Why hasn't Snout decided "I think I'll use a different glue"? Why would anyone recommend Skori resin for something this mundane?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think it's mundane glue.
    There is a hole in the page, letters are missing, no glue can fix this.
    So I'm guessing it's a sort of restoration material, bringing paper back to what it was before and not just glue.

BTW, the tree that can sense motions can also see, read, and comprehend what it reads.
    This makes taking the tree blood much more awkward now.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Firbolg in the Playground

The tree literally shoots its branches, and there should already be a few lying nearby. Will Snout check if they contain resin?

Or raisins?

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    BTW, the tree that can sense motions can also see, read, and comprehend what it reads.
    This makes taking the tree blood much more awkward now.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...C_Canto_13.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    The tree literally shoots its branches, and there should already be a few lying nearby. Will Snout check if they contain resin? Or raisins?
    "Well, they're not actually branches like you think of branches. They're more like, you know, quills? Quills that break off when the tree 'throws'. So they don't have resin in them."
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    I'm still mad that Mookie has shown he's capable of coming up with another reason why Snout needs to deal with the tree, because...

...really? Skori resin is used for book repair? Skori trees, which are that dangerous to go near? How does anyone know Skori resin is useful for anything? Why hasn't Snout decided "I think I'll use a different glue"? Why would anyone recommend Skori resin for something this mundane?
    It might be a prank.
    By drunk students of whatever sapient murder-trees fall under. Psychology?
    There might be a Point-System involved.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe it is the other way around: the sentient tree got hateful and murderous, because everyone around was sucking out resin out of it. For the tree, all people are basically vampires.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

15. - Top - End - #255

Oooh, he came up with a plan. Lets see how awful this goes.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't someone earlier tell me that this wasn't a spell ex machina? How does it feel to be wrong?

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the story introduced some sort of supervillain just so that the page finder spell can defeat them.

17. - Top - End - #257

The previous page was about Snout trying to befriend the Scary Tree by writing something on a sign. The tree reacted quite specifically to that sign, by tossing a branch-spike at it and then making a hand to flip the bird at Snout, demonstrating quite clearly that:
    1. It can see
    2. It can read English
    3. It can imitate human sign language

All of this cannot be justified by its nebulous "root sense" which is clearly said to be limited in range. Range outside of which Snout was standing to make the sign in the first place. So the tree can detect movement within a certain range, but it is also fully able to see all around it beyond that range, with enough detail and precision to read what's written on the signs. (Incidentally, having to spend all its life surrounded by signs saying it is a horrible tree is sure to put him in a good mood.)

Since Snout had just empirically proven the tree had a human-like sense of sight, he now decides to just jump to the tree without touching the ground. Because it's not like this plan has just been shot down, right?

The real question is, will it work? The answer is, perhaps. Because it doesn't depend on whether it'd make sense or not for Snout's plan to succeed. It depends only and entirely on whether Mookie is bored yet of this part of the plot or not. If Snout getting owned by a tree no longer amuses Mookie, then this plan will work; if he still finds it the height of slapstick comedy, then it will fail.
    Last edited by Gez; 2019-11-08 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The previous page was about Snout trying to befriend the Scary Tree by writing something on a sign. The tree reacted quite specifically to that sign, by tossing a branch-spike at it and then making a hand to flip the bird at Snout, demonstrating quite clearly that:
    1. It can see
    2. It can read English
    3. It can imitate human sign language

All of this cannot be justified by its nebulous "root sense" which is clearly said to be limited in range. Range outside of which Snout was standing to make the sign in the first place. So the tree can detect movement within a certain range, but it is also fully able to see all around it beyond that range, with enough detail and precision to read what's written on the signs. (Incidentally, having to spend all its life surrounded by signs saying it is a horrible tree is sure to put him in a good mood.)

Since Snout had just empirically proven the tree had a human-like sense of sight, he now decides to just jump to the tree without touching the ground. Because it's not like this plan has just been shot down, right?

The real question is, will it work? The answer is, perhaps. Because it doesn't depend on whether it'd make sense or not for Snout's plan to succeed. It depends only and entirely on whether Mookie is bored yet of this part of the plot or not. If Snout getting owned by a tree no longer amuses Mookie, then this plan will work; if he still finds it the height of slapstick comedy, then it will fail.
    I don't think the last page is meant to be taken seriously. The tree specifically destroying the sign and then flipping off Snout is all Rule of Funny.

19. - Top - End - #259

I don't think the last page is meant to be taken seriously. The tree specifically destroying the sign and then flipping off Snout is all Rule of Funny.
    That is precisely the problem.

Ok suppose we've got an adventuring party doing some spy mission. They've infiltrated the Badguy empire, and are planning to assassinate the Badguy emperor or something. They do all their planning in their tavern room. Then you've got some throwaway joke about the protags finding out that the Badguy Secret Service have bugged their room to look at the "seducer" character of the Goodguy team in pajamas, because they're horny, haha, what a good joke. The characters don't change their plans. Sure, their enemies are aware of their plans and can prepare for them, but it was just in service of a joke, so it doesn't count, haha.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't someone earlier tell me that this wasn't a spell ex machina? How does it feel to be wrong?

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the story introduced some sort of supervillain just so that the page finder spell can defeat them.
    Remember that the witch was attacked by an unknown entity.
    Sure, theoretically it can be any hazard from the wild zone, but I'll be honestly surprised if there is no villain trying to block the knowledge of DD for some obscure reason.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    That is precisely the problem.

Ok suppose we've got an adventuring party doing some spy mission. They've infiltrated the Badguy empire, and are planning to assassinate the Badguy emperor or something. They do all their planning in their tavern room. Then you've got some throwaway joke about the protags finding out that the Badguy Secret Service have bugged their room to look at the "seducer" character of the Goodguy team in pajamas, because they're horny, haha, what a good joke. The characters don't change their plans. Sure, their enemies are aware of their plans and can prepare for them, but it was just in service of a joke, so it doesn't count, haha.
    Depending on the type of story being told, that can work just fine. What's your point?

22. - Top - End - #262

Depending on the type of story being told, that can work just fine. What's your point?
    We're not going to agree on that, unless the genre of the story is "parody".

My point is that whatever happens in this comic happens if and only if it entertains its author, Mookie. Therefore nothing makes sense in the plot or in the worldbuilding. It doesn't deserve to be called a story, because it's not one.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

I'l try to explain a bit differently what bothers me with this joke:
    As a joke without any context, it's funny.
    As a joke within an encounter, it left me with a jarring feeling.

A joke can come in a middle of a serious event, that's fine.
    But it still needs to either follow the known world rules (do the joke practically with any other monster that has eyes), or change them accordingly (make Snout cross the "can sense motion" and add "can also see!" and amend his plans.

A joke can also break some rules, but the sequence that talks about the roots, makes the tree see and then back to the roots as if it never happens might work as a single page joke, but not if seen as part of the same encounter.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I'l try to explain a bit differently what bothers me with this joke:
    As a joke without any context, it's funny.
    As a joke within an encounter, it left me with a jarring feeling.

A joke can come in a middle of a serious event, that's fine.
    But it still needs to either follow the known world rules (do the joke practically with any other monster that has eyes), or change them accordingly (make Snout cross the "can sense motion" and add "can also see!" and amend his plans.

A joke can also break some rules, but the sequence that talks about the roots, makes the tree see and then back to the roots as if it never happens might work as a single page joke, but not if seen as part of the same encounter.
    The Goons (on Radio) once did:

Neddy Seagoon "don't move or I'll shoot"

bad guy "you can't fool me, that's a banana"

*bang*

bad guy "you shot me."

Neddy Seagoon "did you think i would threaten you with an unloaded banana?"
    They then went on as if the banana didn't fire, which kept the story running, but cut the joke off at the knees somewhat I thought. So Mookie has precedent on his side.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-11-09 at 04:31 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

25. - Top - End - #265

Oh god.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The tree is stabbing itself to death trying to get snout.
    Well, I guess this isnt THE dumbest way possible to end things. It could have turned out the tree is super ticklish and thats why its so defensive about letting anyone close.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

This is probably a minor quibble, but unless it's winter, that tree should have some leaves on it. Otherwise, how is it supposed to gather sunlight?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

So, how did the tree miss?

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Well, I guess this isnt THE dumbest way possible to end things. It could have turned out the tree is super ticklish and thats why its so defensive about letting anyone close.
    I'm not sure that would have been worse.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

This is probably a minor quibble, but unless it's winter, that tree should have some leaves on it. Otherwise, how is it supposed to gather sunlight?
    It's a carnivorous tree, naturally.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

So, how did the tree miss?
    How does anyone miss?
    Either they aim at the wrong spot due to bad motorical control.
    Or the thing they aimed at moved.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar